Review of VarageSale

Downtown Toronto, ON M5V, CA
help@varagesale.com

dannye42
3/8/19

This woman wont allow me access to purchase a guitar.. I'm stuck in a hotel and would like one to pass time.. she says I live too far away? Wtf I'm buying not selling.. a real cow Erika Lee.. this is why kijiji gets all my money.. first and last time I'll use this useless app

shelleyg27
3/6/19

We had an item that broke the rule of "all foul language." Many found offensive in our area. We were told that "this is an adult's site to shop we should just scroll past it.." When I brought the restricted item to her attention (and asked for her to clarify her way of dealing with the matter )she has not yet responded to my concern. It's was very foul in language. Not impressed. I think there should be easy access to higher authority. Rules are made to be upheld. That's how you play like true adults. I am from SouthbEastern Manitoba.

gozemineg
2/8/19

After looking for months to find the item that I need I landed on VarageSale by Google. I wanted to contact the person who had what I need but I saw that I had to sign up. I did it, but my membership was pending and had to be approved.

Erika Lee, staff from this site, contacted me and told me that I'm living too far from this area. I explained her that I was looking for months for this item and couldn't find it anywhere, but she send me back an E-Mail this site is ONLY for members of this local area. I also made the opportunity to buy the item and after delete my account, but it wasn't accepted.

Dear Erica, do you want people sell their items or not? So, it's not important if I'm from America, Asia or Africa, whereever I am from and I think people who want to sell what they don't need will be happy about getting rid of something that they don't need.

But no, we have to insist stiff and rigid to our rules. Ridicilous and backwarded! Stay away from this site.

bethanyf21
12/29/18

I have been using varage sale to buy and sell household items for years. Sure, you're going to run into problems every now and then, seems all communities are not the same. Ours is run by very helpful admins, they just expect you to read and know the rules. Pretty easy if you don't try to skirt around the rules and aren't looking to cheat buyers. If you're buying, make sure you know what you're buying before handing over the money. Its great if you're on the up & up, you can get some great deals.

richardc152
12/26/18

I have gotten top ratings and great reviews. Although they act like nazis and do whatever to push you around. They don't care about your rights and freedoms. They want too much information about you. Low shelf people standing on soapboxes.

joeb588
12/17/18

Tried for months to join this ridiculous site , first they told me my photo was not precise enough ( strange because some people have pictures of dogs on their photo spot ) then they told me there was no local site available ( I'm 8 miles from Regina ,that is near the North Pole ) then I told them what they could do with their site and all the DUMB rules they have I prefer Kiijiji NO STUPID RULES just look and purchase .If your not a member they don't even want you to view their site .Almost Like A Cult ????????

patriciag340
12/2/18

My daughter lives in a community that I visit often....I was not allowed as my address a different city. Not a good way to get a good market. I will stick with my Ebay and craigslist.

kellyp163
11/24/18

This app is a waste of time. It discriminates and discourages people who aren't "members of the community" and just plain ridiculous. Stick to offer up and letgo

christinah161
11/2/18

I have been on the Erie, Pa varagesale for 4 years. The group is a bit clicky. But my (& others) biggest problem is with an admin named Kimberly Goodman-French. I would put up a post to sell an item only to find that it mysteriously disappeared. I'm not perfect & make honest mistakes, but this girl repeatedly removed my posts without giving me a notice or a reason why. I would finally figure out the problem & repost my item. This taught me to save my work so I didn't have to re-type everything in over & over. I tried sending a message to higher-ups in an email, only to be told "oh well"
I recently put up a post for a yard sale. Not sure what category it should go in, I searched for other posts. Found them in 'Discussions' Kimberly repeatedly deleted my ad till I figured out it belonged in a different category. Thing is, why couldn't she just say that? & why are the other yard sale posts STILL listed in the discussions? These people are petty & create unnecessary drama, & are nothing more than power-trip women feeding their egos by abusing their position as admins.

faithd26
10/20/18

I tried signing up for this and I quit midway through, the fact that it is asking too much personal info for something that is not even important just irritates me. I started questioning it when it asked for a picture of my face that is going to be reviewed by an admin, but I drew the line when it asked for my phone#. It just sounds too fussy. Like why do I need to provide all of that if I am just going to sell some used stuff? It's not like I want to become friends with people that I sell stuff to. No thanks! I am just going back to kijiji where I have been for many many years.

hollym123
10/18/18

I admin for 2 communities, so I get rules, but this chick is insane!
She goes by the name of LeeAnn yet when you click her profile to find her on FB she is nowhere to be found. (This is for Southern Ontario.)
Anyway, I have ads for second hand furniture up in the furniture section. Seems sensible, yes? No, not according to her. She told me that because she knows I refinish furniture for a living, I can't post my second hand furniture in the furniture section (even though there is zero mention of my business in the ads,) and can only post 1 ad in the small business section. Um..... Ok..... I sent her photos of other ads from people and said, "How do you know these french doors were not originally a light stain and the owner has restained them, is now selling them and is, therefore, making money?" That would be a business. Just because you know what I do for a living, is no reason to ban my posts. Unless....... she's also a furniture refinisher and doesn't want the competition? She has now banned a handful of people that I know of - alllll furniture refinishers. She either failed the police academy and gets her jollies being an insane admin, or she's a furniture artists who knows she sucks and doesn't want the competition around. Either way, it's a dying platform. Lyst is much better!

jamiep143
10/17/18

I had issues with people not meeting, so I contacted the admin who did nothing about people, and when I complained of the lack of action, the admin sent me a link to delete my account and then made it so I couldn't respond back.

randyd89
10/14/18

First time user and placed four ads which included a website reference to set up an electronic hockey team ticket manager so I could facilitate sending tickets to a buyer. Adminstrator came on and said you can't have this reference and deleted all the ads. When I tried to explain it was an honest mistake and suggested a warning the first time and that I was happy to make things right I get this you signed up and clicked to join, and the rules clearly state... you are wrong and I'm right...blah blah blah. Not great a great experience. Will stick to kijijii and not provide any positive feedback about this app to any friends and family.

lizzyb9
10/2/18

This app should be taken down!!! The rules are ridiculous not worth your time and energy. There are better sites out there that don't steal your private info.. administrative can read and share any of your private messages. BS BE WEARY of this site.

kenk181
9/28/18

Complete waste of time ,have to give them everything except my left nut , just to view items for sale . They can pack it in , where is my Kijiji ?

br83
8/11/18

The rules are stupid. Made an error with them and then proceeded to be attacked by the buyer, blocked them. The. Started getting messages from friends. What you get on varage sale is a lot of overpriced junk, combined with a bunch of nazi housewives that spaz out....just not worth the headache.

ras6
8/11/18

Removed muy honest, but negative review when a seller lied about the quality and quantity of a lot of kids clothes. The moderator then blocked me from that seller so I couldn't comment. Seller basically said I should have looked through everything first and varage sale rules echo the same attitude. Yuck!

heatherl173
7/26/18

I asked a simple question and it turned into a passive aggressive email attack. The arrogance was shocking. And when I asked the woman on help desk to stop sending me emails she didn't listen. Terrible customer service.

The site itself needs improvement it's time consuming to post stuff, pictures look awful. It's just not very user friendly. There are deffinately better platforms out there for selling your stuff.

davids1708
7/6/18

I only want to see ads from my area, but VarageSale shows stuff from far away. There should be more control over communities, crossposting, or whatever.

loris366
6/10/18

Don't like the lack of settings. Particularly that I have an area I signed up for but when I click on 'ad' the area to meet seller is VERY far away. Location isn't even under picture anywhere causing frusteration and lots of clicking on items too far away

virgc
5/17/18

How hard is it to have an option to e-mail or phone seller? It irritates me that I can not contact seller.

jamesp547
4/25/18

I searched for a rare 1965 poster of the Gateway Arch and found only one in the USA in Mobile AL Varagesale. I contacted the admin and asked if they could relay a message to seller and see if I could buy it. I even offered to pay the $100 for the poster without the glass and frame to make it easy to ship. Admin said no. Great platform for selling your lawnmover to local buyers but if you have something unique to a region 600 miles away of your town, you might want to consider ebay.

alexh238
4/14/18

If a seller gets a lowball bid, they must give this bidder 8hrs to negotiate. In the meantime, if a seller gets a bid for full price or even more than full price, they cannot take the bid until 8hrs are up - if you go against this rule you get banned for a week. The problem is, many varage users throw out a bunch of lowball bids on a bunch of stuff to take advantage of this rule, which stalls the marketplace. Sellers dont want to lower their price and they dont want to have to turn down full price bids. Use Facebook marketplace, eBay, or even craigslist before varage. Varage will die eventually if this rule doesnt change, simple market making 101.

kelb9
4/8/18

I have read several complaints from the reviews on here, and Id like to offer the experiences of someone I know who uses this APP to sell their items! The person, I know has been a member for several years, way over the time frame of another member, and from my understanding has helped out in many ways especially for the undo fairness of others on the site and the actions of a person that my friend, has unfortunately had contact with on this VS selling site. It has recently, come down too, my friend reporting the uncalled for actions of a certain member (for stalking, harassing, bidding, and deliberate reading of messages from other members in the community, to use them in reports for the deliberate removal of my friends account on VS. This selling site has PM'S (private messages) saved. That way any member can share them with whoever they wish too and to who ever they want. That alone is a breach of trust and a violation of privacy. I am told that this selling place internet giant,allows information sharing, reselling, people to be creep ed on, stalked, and brutally harassed, but not only from certain members (who join) but as well i am told from the Admin.After reading these reviews others have said, and what has recently happened to my friend. I am not willing to put an account up, and risk my own personal safety and be spoken too badly by the administrators as I am reading over and over on these reviews its a huge issue causing an un trusting selling site for me to use. Ill continue selling my stuff else where. Everyone's feedback was greatly appreciated.

autor10
4/6/18

Selling? A great place if you like to spend your free time dealing with people who express interest in buying and then never show up or confirm pickup times. And you arent supposed to sell to anyone else for a day, even if 10 other people are lining up to buy it. And if someone else offers you twice the amount to buy it, the rules say you are supposed to sell it at the lower price. What a joke. Best of all are the Lowe ballers who jump to the front of the line, then pm you a low ball offer. You arent allowed to then sell to the next person for the full price for a day. Or a person writes a comment asking if the item is blue, when the pic shows it clearly is white, or they didnt read the description. Well guess what? The rules say they get first dibs.

Buying isnt much better. The place is trolled all day by lowlife pickers who buy and resell stuff, and whine and complain if they dont get first grabs on things. You are dealing with these pickers and dont have a chance at getting a good deal. And even if you are willing to pay more to get the item, because some of us work for a living and cant surf the site all day, you still arent supposed to get grabs at it.

The admins are a bunch of bored stay at home moms who think they can run the site like the gestapo. People get rejected for their Facebook pic being less than a full face shot, while others can use the site with pics of their dogs or kids as their profile pic. And if you post a comment asking for a change to the site, it gets deleted because they dont allow complaints.

Most of the categories are for moms - kids clothes, toys, shoes, shoes shoes, womens clothes. And a few other giant categories for everything else. E.g. electronics, where you get everything from trumpets to alarm clocks.

Stay away unless you enjoy all of the above.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I agree!! I made top member for years. Because I questioned her she revoked me.

By Richard c.

Questions? Get answers from the VarageSale staff and other customers.

3 Photos for VarageSale