Review of UserTesting

San Francisco, CA 94043, USA
Tel: +1 888-877-1882

rebeccaw225
2/7/19

I have been using for several weeks now and have qualified for ONE test the whole time for a grand total of $10.00 made. Very frustrating when you're trying to supplement some sort of income while trying to find steady work. Seems like no matter what answers I give when I take the screener, I don't qualify to review whatever it is they want to get reviewed. It's ridiculous. I have even answered the screeners with every answer they provide and was still denied. I think it is a total scam.

richards1246
2/4/19

I haven't used UserTesting a whole lot, only done a few tests. That is, the peek test that every tester receives upon account creation, and a few other tests. I got paid for my tests (3$ for the peek test and $10 each for the others, so $23 in total.) and the site seems to be a legitimate way to earn some extra cash. There are a bunch of reviews claiming the site to be a scam because of a lack of tests, or because of screener questions which seem to always deny you.

This isn't true, but let me explain. The way UserTesting distributes tests is through demographics. Companies are looking for certain kinds of people. Maybe they live in a certain area, or subscribe to a certain service, or maybe they have a certain kind of lifestyle. These demographics influence how many tests you get. Unfortunately, there's no real way to know whether your particular demographics will lend themselves to getting you a bunch of tests; they're a crap-shoot. The website even acknowledges that the amount of tests you get will vary, depending on these same demographics.

This doesn't mean that UserTesting is a scam, just that there aren't many companies looking for people from your demographic. It sucks, but what can you do? There are plenty of other ways to make money from home, so the reactionary responses caused by your bad luck aren't warranted.

andrews579
2/3/19

I made an account with UserTesting about 2 months ago. I completed the initial unpaid "test" and received 5 stars, so I was pretty pumped to start making the advertised $10/test. I saw several pages of tests, but the screener survey disqualified me from every single one. Rinse and repeat for 2 months with no results. I now realize their sneaky business model: your first unpaid "qualification test" is probably an actual test for clients, but UserTesting just keeps the money for themselves. Then once your account is accepted, the "screener" questions are actually surveys whose results are sold to other companies for profit. You get paid absolutely nothing in return. Other similar sites like UserLytics and UserFeel probably work in a similar fashion, because I never made any money with those either. It's truly disgusting what these companies are doing, and even more shameful that some big name YouTubers are promoting them, not because they work, but because it gets them more clicks and popularity in order to promote affiliate partners. The other issue is with privacy...UserTesting, UserLytics, and UserFeel all involve recording videos of your screen. Who knows what other info they are stealing from you when you agree to install their apps on your computer. Stay far away from them and spread the word.

anyaj6
1/26/19

It seems the 5* rating comments mimic each other...... amazing thank you for your comment and now I know user testing is a scam and have a disgusting way of getting free surveys. Shame on you!!

reviewero1
1/25/19

I was excited about doing a review of websites for different companies. I was selected to be a part of the testers to test various websites and give my opinion about their functionality and consumer friendliness. However, after going through at least 50-60 screeners I realized it was a scam. It was generally getting you to answer survey questions for free without having to pay you anything. The questions were inconsistent and usually no matter what answer you choose they would not pick you. And when I did get picked for a survey all of a sudden the program would not download and the site did not open. It seemed like a total setup just to get free surveys out of you. I wasted two days working on this and preparing for a survey that they said I didn't qualify for and when I did qualify all of a sudden the message came up right before I was to start the survey saying "sorry test no longer available." So I had at least a dozen tests I qualified for however just as I am about to start the site they cut it off and say sorry test is no longer available the moment you qualify for the website. That gave me the impression it was a scam and not to be trusted. So, if you don't want to waste your valuable time then don't even attempt this website because they hack right into your account the moment you qualify for a website testing and take it away.

molliem17
1/12/19

I had to write this because I'm reading reviews from people saying that Usertesting is biased against them because they don't make a certain salary, are unemployed, etc. This isn't bias- it's how Usertesting works in conjuction with companies who need their product tested. If they want it tested by people who speak Swedish (and they will pay quite a bit to get your feedback videos), they should get what they want. It's pretty common for companies to want feedback from certain demographics.

I have been a tester with Usertesting for about four years, and have made between $500-$1500 per year doing it. I have it open only certain times of the day, and have only gotten 1 4-star rating and countless 5-star ratings. It's all about being clear in your speech, continuing to speak honestly, and putting in a little extra effort when they ask questions. Remember, companies who hire UserTesting are PAYING for the privilege of your feedback. Usertesting is just a platform (middle man) for this, and they pay their testers very well. I have received excellent customer service from UserTesting in the three or so times I have reached out, and I find their tools very easy to use. Excellent company!

seanb175
1/11/19

No paid work!

What you will get is a whole bunch of 'screener' questions that is providing this company with all the marketing research they need without paying you a cent. A very clever scam, don't waste your time folks!!!!

annb404
12/19/18

I qualified to test a website out today. I did exactly as they asked me to, and then I upload the video. It took forever to upload and that's when I got suspicious. It felt like they were doing more than uploading that little video clip. It took like 15-20 mins, like they were downloading all my files or pictures from my computer. After all they have access to it now. I have uninstalled this and I am disappointed in myself because I am normally more careful :-(

jeremys220
12/13/18

I joined this site more than a month ago. I log in on almost a daily basis and take "screeners" which are a series of questions that determine your eligibility for a test. Needless to say, I have not qualified for a single test since I started. I tried to resolve the issue with support and they have yet to get back to me. Some of the qualifications are bogus, like you have to speak Swedish or work in very specific lines of work. I signed up with this with the hope of making some extra money and I am very disappointed.

miguels86
12/7/18

Contrary to what they tell you in promotional material and your sample video, you will NOT be reviewing sites/products/etc. They say you will be paid for making excellent video reviews and this is not true.
ALL of the "tests" are product testing surveys, identical to Respondent.io and are primarily programming based. I have yet to see one video review job. They are all software product testing surveys.
If you want to do software product testing, visit Respondent.io, they pay more than UserTesting and dont require a BS sample submission video nor are you given "ratings" by "moderators".

Tip for consumers: Whatever they say in promotional material, all they offer is Product Testing Surveys. If you want to do Product Testing Surveys go somewhere else that doesnt require a 5-star site rating to qualify for jobs.

mg50
11/30/18

I'm a big fan of UserTesting. They are a legitimate site/company and their testing process is clear. It's true, you don't always qualify for a test, and find out at the end. However, in my experience, they address problems when you report them. I reported an issue with a test yesterday and it's super easy to do. They've started to post a message if you report an issue to let you know there may be a delay, but in my experience they get back to you.

For me, this is a great site for side cash. Like anyone signing up for UserTesting or any other website testing site, you manage your expectations. I see negative reviews from the ones that don't and I think they are not being realistic.
We're not going to qualify for tests all the time, that's just the way it is. And if you want to get a feel for what you sound like to a client - practice - find a website you'd like to evaluate and record yourself talking out loud for ten minutes and see how well your insights come across.
I reached out to support when I took a couple of tests that took more than the expected allotted time. I was clear about the expectations, tracked the time and they compensated me because the client created a test that was not realistic for a 10-20 minute testing period.
I joined up 3 years ago, and stopped using it after awhile because I wasn't getting many tests. For whatever reason in the last few months I qualify for available tests. In the past week I've earned $200.
Have realistic expectations, practice on your own - that way when you test you'll be doing better than you think and potentially increase your opportunity to get high ratings.

--- In response to Make H. comment below - I'm not management. I'm a tester, and here's the breakdown. I went back to look at my first test - I signed up in 2014, I dropped in a picture of the 1st tests I received:

In 2014 when I first signed up I did 22 tests
2015: I did 27 tests
2016: I did 13 tests
2017: I did 11 tests
2018: Since September I've done 59 tests, most paying $10 and a handful that were 30 or 60 minute moderated calls that paid $30 or $60.

I get paid on time exactly as promised. In the past week I haven't qualified for many tests but am I going to change my rating to 1 star? No. I personally like the opportunity to generate extra cash when it's presented to me. They follow through. That's why I give it 5 stars.

I just qualified to test with UserFeel and haven't received any invites. Am I going to give it a one star rating for that? No.

I've been a tester with Testlio who have an excellent community of testers but the pay rate is $18 an hour for a lot more work, and that doesn't include time to install apks to your phone. UserTesting is $10 in 10-20 minutes and all I had to do once is install the tool to record voice and video. Am I going to give Testlio a 1 star rating for the different way they work? No.

I enjoy what I'm doing with usertesting.com as a TESTER. I have nothing to do with management. I don't know what pop ups you're talking about. I qualified in 2014, I filled out the usual profile info, where am I located, language, what devices I have, stuff like that so I can't answer anything about pop ups after pre-screening.

----

If you're new to this kind of testing, I literally did record myself evaluating a website and listened to myself. I also went as far as reviewing a website a friend of mine built and sent the recording to him. It made me realize I had to slow down to express my thoughts so they were clear. It's a good way to practice.

loril175
10/30/18

I joined about a month ago and I have been successful in using the pc based testing. I have not tried the mobile testing yet. Does anyone have feedback on this type of testing?
It is not a plan for making a lot of $, but consider it extra income for those that are looking to boost the bank account a little. I enjoy the experience and learn a lot as I go through the tests.

rahuls146
9/11/18

I tried UserTesting for about 3 months and was able to earn a mere 160 bucks. On a few occasions, the moderators gave me a low rating of 1 stars! Once because my computer fan was on. Another time because the moderator said I was difficult to understand, which is not true. True English is not my native tongue; but I speak good enough English to earn an MBA in the US. Anyway, after getting a low rating, I stopped getting invited to tests. i.e. Available tests always shows nothing! I complained to customer service but they ignored me... not recommended at all!

danielt264
8/31/18

2 years with the site, haven't qualified for more than 2 tests since. They don't offer any constructive feedback, and will easily pay-out for your test. Screener surveys will eliminate all chances you have at getting tests unless you make 75k a year, and are part of the exact demographic they need. Unless you lie on your test, which you SHOULD because why would anyone who makes 75k a year waste their time with this garbage, you won't make any money.

sorajas
8/10/18

You may complete a test but if they don't like what you say, they will give you a low rating, come up with bogus justification and not pay up.
Bleh, shame on you.

robl126
7/1/18

they sound like a total scam. I don't even see how a company like this can be in business. At some point in the process, I would think that people would be wiser than to engage with a company that so many people have warned others about.

kyoukia
5/12/18

I just signed up for usertesting yesterday. I did the sample test and got approved and everything seemed fine and I was very hopeful. I left the dashboard open like it said to do to get tests. It took maybe 3 hours to even get my first test. By then it was late for me so I decided to get some rest, left the page open and see what I had the next day.

I woke up and had 4 tests in my dashboard. With excitement building I clicked the screener checker...and one after the other failed each one after selecting that I was not currently working.

I find this strange...What is the initial profile we made for then? It's supposed to send us tests that go together with our demographics. Then why do tests selected for me to do have a screener in which I don't qualify for?

I'm at the end of my second day now trying this and have had atleast 10 tests come into my dashboard and none so far that I have actually be able to take.

Thus..complete waste of my time and feels like discrimination to me. So apparently they only want people who have like full time jobs? That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Most people who have full time job is not going to have the time to sit at the computer and test sites...

Yep starting to feel like it's an information grab and sell.

tonyab40
4/20/18

I have made $290 since I have been on it started on 04/10/2018 and it has helped me, as I have been sick and needed money just to get through until my short term disability kicked in. LOVE this site but you do have to keep the tab up and listen for the notifications. There has been 1 day that I didn't qualify for anything but I can't complain. It pays exactly 1 week to the minute of your test and it is AWESOME. I can do it from the convenience of my home, mainly bed, and I also put the app on my phone and tablet.

brianm372
4/6/18

First, I have to say I am not typical users here complaining about not getting tests, I was on their website for like 1 year for now, and I got probably more than 200 tests done. My average score was 4.8. Doesn't sounds bad right? Then go on read. So I have been having problems uploading tests from my Android phone, it was the note 8, so it cannot be the phone being old. Also, I have an iphone that I use to take tests too, it uploads fine. So I have done like two tests yesterday, one failed to upload, I emailed them, and I have the screenshot of the testing being completed but failed uploading. The other one uploaded fine using my laptop. Then this Alex guy replied, told me that they will compensate me and it was actually added to my account. Then he listed all the reasons why the videos may fail to upload. None of them were the right reason, so I emailed him back telling him that.
So TODAY, April 6th. I got an email from Jeremy, he was responding to my email that I sent in Feb asking why the android app is not uploading video. Here is what he said "we had to deactivate your account, due to fraud. Our team didn't give us the reason why. But sorry this didn't work out, and good luck in the future." I WAS LIKE SPEECHLESS. FRAUD???? SERIOUSLY??? I have been working for your company for over one year!!! I have 4.8 average rating!!! I completed every single test that I was qualified for, and WHAT THE F**K you mean I scammed you? And what a joke by telling me that there was no reason or explanation to deactivate my account!!
Yeah, when I was doing well, I would write things that like those 5 star reviewers did, but sorry, you never know when they will give you bs excuse to deactivate your account. Watch out when you have over $100 in your account, that will hurt when they just void everything and don't give you any reason.

kylec67
4/5/18

Been on it for 2 weeks now and have had a total of 4 test, all of which i answer a few questions and then get declined.. I'm beginning to think it's a scam and the "real user testing" is the "screener questions"..

dannyp34
2/19/18

I joined about 4 years ago! I made over 5k in 2017. No hassles! Take lots of screeners that I dont qualify for, but if I take a test or two a day its $300-$400 per month! Not a get rich scheme however I love the extra moneys

makeh1
2/16/18

Upon initial sign-up you are asked to take a sample test. There are literally dozens of tests to choose from. I qualified for the very 1st test I chose, submitted my video, received a 5 star review & got my $10 via PayPal. Great, right? WRONG!

Once the initial test is complete, you won't qualify for ANY tests. That seemingly infinite number of test that were available for a sample are reduced to a handful. Of those few test available, there is ALWAYS a pre-screening survey. You will fill it out (for free btw) and you WILL NOT qualify for the test itself. UserTesting intentionally makes it look like you'll be able to do as many Tests as you can stand, then has nothing available when you've actually signed up. BAIT & SWITCH.

You've already shared tons of personal information just to sign up, which UserTesting sells. Then, you share more information that they can sell every time you take a free "pre-screening" survey.

After a dozen freebie "pre-screeners" I realized I had been duped. This site is a completely misleading scam, period

ariek9
2/8/18

Absolutely no one makes money off this. Also, their executive staff is in shambles, and their website hasn't been updated for quite awhile.

The tests:

The requirements for the test are so filtered and "screened", you'll be lucky to take a test once a month! If you're a student, well then you don't really get any tests! If you are not full-time employed in exactly the industry they are looking for, you will not make any money, there will be no tests available.

Reviews from their clients:

Usertesting does not statistically improve any market performance of any company, it's a widely known fact that these third-party site testing startups do nothing for a business in the large scheme of things, financially nor brand wise.

adama172
2/2/18

I was looking up for some other testing gigs and came across some negative reviews about usertesting. I have been testing with them for a little over a month now, and every test I have taken I've beed paid on. Now the tests aren't back to back. On average I get about one test per day. Some days I may get three. Other days there may be none. But I've found that they are reliable and pay on time.
***I have yet to have on single issue, whether with getting tests or getting paid.
I think the key is to do good in your initial test/eval. If you get the concept and know what they are looking for, you will get tests -- I think it's that simple.
If I ever get shafted I will be the first to broadcast it. My brother also tests for them. He too has had zero issues.
5 stars!

Adam A

Tip for consumers: Do a little research on what testers are expected to do/say during a test ---- so you ace your practice test and the paid tests that follow.
It's well worth it if you're looking to make a few hundred extra a month.

jennaj18
1/29/18

I never qualified for tests for the first few weeks. I got sent a test every week or so, and the questions always screen me out. What a waste of time. I started to get going a bit, then I was suddenly banned because some customer wasn't satisfied.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I have been testing with them for years and have never run into an issue with a virus.

By Mollie M.

Questions? Get answers from the UserTesting staff and other customers.

5 Photos for UserTesting