USAJobs.gov

USAJobs.gov has a consumer rating of 1.2 stars from 41 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. USAJobs.gov also ranks 72nd among Government sites. The most common issues with USAJobs.gov are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

How would you rate USAJobs.gov?

“This is a easy, non-complicated site”

Lilly O.
6/3/13

This is a easy, non-complicated site. I have been looking and applying for jobs and even when the position you apply needs more experience they always respond back with the status of your application, if you weren't selected, they will tell you...Most of the sites where you apply for a job position, they just let you wait forever and never email/call back. I personally think that just the fact they let you know how everything goes with your application is a show of respect..."Respect" lately endangered..

“impossibly to search by city”

steph t.
1/24/20

the website has no filters for city horrible im not searching through 3000 listings the developers need to be fired i gave up

5 years (6)
stepht21
January 24th, 2020
the website has no filters for city
horrible
im not searching through 3000 listings
the developers need to be fired
i gave up
ryans614
March 23rd, 2020
I've had federal employment. Its overrated. Federal employees are lazy, entitled, and usually rely on temps and seasonal to actually do any real work in their office. Having worked for the federal government is the best possible case for just abolishing this useless entity and separating from it altogether.
jamalj18
December 10th, 2019
This job site is worthless and fake and run by inept people that waste jobseekers time. I've applied for more than 200 plus jobs in 2 years and receive no feedback either positive or negative. Had one phone interview by CBP and was mocked for being unemployed. Whole purpose of looking for a job is to get one? Correct? I'd stay clear of this sucker trap of a job site.
dieselc1
November 22nd, 2019
I do not wish apon anyone to have to deal with this site. Uploading documents is supposed to be an easy process but freezes up all the time. The web page is cluttered there is no customer service or professionalism to help you if there is an issue with your application. USA jobs has affected more than 300,000 applicants this year alone. Don't let it be you before it's too late.
joshuap157
December 20th, 2019
I have applied to over 20 jobs on this site and some below the grade I was in the military. All have came back as not referred. Some said I was not qualified even though I did the duty for over 15 years. I have spoken to several retirees and we have come to a conclusion that the site is looking for service members who leave the military at or before ten years. I know of a Soldier who applied for the same job and got it after being CHAPTERED out the Army
rr249
December 16th, 2019
Tells you you have so many characters for the resume is a total lie. Won't upload after so many. Once you get through that nightmare and uploading resumes, and other documents then you get to the end, and they want uploaded again. They only give you room for one resume. Then you go through the process all over again and re- upload the same documents again. And this process eliminated a very important page that cost me a permanent job. I am a Vet, and been working seasnol for Gov employment for 5 years and waited for this position. Disgraceful
lillyo1
June 3rd, 2013
lilya62
October 30th, 2019
I did everything correctly on my application. Sat down in a workshop about how to complete this long application process. It took me about three days, 5 hours a day, work, research and writing, for two positions.
Used spouse preference.
I was found eligible, but not referred for the position because there were other highly qualified applicants.
Not sure what is more qualified for an administrative position than experience and a masters.
I am done with this website. It is a scam. They hire people the know. They only open the jobs because legally they have to.
Don't bother.
edr125
June 25th, 2018
Very confusing, sometimes doesn't work at all and definitely not user friendly. The 'help desk' is worthless.

A job applicant must use it however, because for many federal agencies it is the only way to apply for federal employment.

As others have pointed out the vast majority of Federal jobs are filled by internal promotions. The Federal bureaucracy (especially OPM) seems to hold private sector employees in utter contempt.
donnaj166
March 18th, 2019
Website is a total joke! I apply for positions, only to have them cancel several times and receive requests to try again. Few of the agencies ever update your status. And, I am unsure how they get away with this. I would love to see Dateline or 20/20, do an investigation regarding the government's shady hiring practices.
davef196
November 25th, 2019
disqualified for everything just got disqualified for an intership as a veteran enrolled in university waste of time
guglielmov
August 22nd, 2017
Here is a fact people, USAJOBS does NOT hire or screen people OPM does. As a website, it's pretty good and easy to navigate.

Most of these reviews should be for the OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (OPM).

MY STORY: I was hired without an interview after I got out as a disabled VET. I went through the VOCREHAB program set up by the VA and ya I got two degrees too. I submitted 100's of resumes for federal positions for TWO years with minimal "REFERRED TO SELECTING OFFICIAL" notices, maybe 5 or so times. That stinks considering how many jobs I applied for. But I was doing it all WRONG - ALL WRONG!!

However, just as my unemployment ran out I was sent an email asking if I wanted a job I had NOT interviewed for - It was a GS-5 position. Yes, I was bummed since I was a Senior NCO when I got out and was doing quite well money wise. We all know GS-5 pay sucks.

So, I toiled for a few days, asked around and at the end of the day I took the position. Something is better than nothing and after all, I would be in the system.

That was 5.5 years ago, and now I am a GS-12 with a career I never thought I'd have or knew of.

My Chief said I was not hired because I was a Veteran but because my resume showed versatility and at the GS-5 level there was lots of room to grow.

Since getting in, my veteran status HAS helped me get promoted for sure however, I had to go TDY for three and a half months away from my family but the sacrifice paid off AND I got quite a few graduate credits from that school. win-win.

My point is, if you are NOT getting REFERRED TO THE SELECTING OFFICIAL it's YOUR RESUME, not YOU. When I was going through the VOCREHAB program the feds that came and lectured us on federal hiring said one thing that chimes through whenever I apply for a new job in the government.

They said and I quote "Unfortunately the most qualified people will NOT get the federal jobs out there it's the ones with the BEST RESUME". And I can tell you first hand - THAT IT IS TRUE.

That is unless they have ALREADY pegged a job for SOMEONE. That too is unfortunately true in many cases. That is a prohibited practice but it does happen.

I paid a federal resume writing service to write ONE federal resume for me for a job I was interested in. I did not get that job BUT I was referred. Since that time I took that one resume and tweaked it for every job since and I get referred A LOT. Even for higher paying position, I apply for today.

I do get referred to the selection official a lot, yes, but like you do NOT get selected for many positions and I am a federal employee AND disabled Vet.

Think OPM not USAJOBS when it comes to federal hiring. OPM screens applicants for the process NOT USAJOBS. Now you know who to get mad at.

Also, think BIG RESUME, a 5 - 8 page resume is the NORM forget everything you have ever heard about the one-page resume. In federal hiring that will get you passed over every single time. They scan for KEY WORDS forget the opening statements too UNLESS that statement is filled with KEY WORDS you got from the job announcement. You HAVE to ADJUST the RESUME to EVERY job you apply for EVERY ONE OF THEM. One size does NOT fit all in this process.

And when in doubt HIRE A FEDERAL RESUME WRITER, KEY WORDS WILL GET YOU REFERRED. And for the love of God DON'T DEPEND on your DEGREES unless you are a Nurse, Doctor, Lawyer and so on, and even then EXPERIENCE and LENGTH of your resume WILL make things happen faster for you.

I've been where you are. Understanding the screwed up way this SCREENING process goes will get you in the door. Volume in applying is also a must. Don't submit 10 resumes and expect to be hired, when there are 1000's applying for that same federal jobs, VOLUME and RESUME are what counts.

And when you get DO get referred, and you will. That selection LIST you are on has 5 - 8 other people on in ranked positions SO KEEP APPLYING FOR OTHER JOBS while you wait.

I hope this cleared some things up for you. Just know 1000's of non-vets get hired every day in the federal government. You may have to take a LOWER paying job to just get in the system as well. Only you can make that decision as to if that will work for you.

Walking in the federal door as a GS-12, 13, 14, 15 is rare but NOT impossible. Remember one thing you ARE competing with CURRENT federal employees for those higher paying positions as well.

GOOD LUCK, and I hope this cleared some things up for you.
wallys10
May 2nd, 2018
New system for login is the worst. I understand security for a secure site, but this is for federal jobs not NASA, CIA, FBI or White House. I can't get logged in because I live and work for the US in German. They can't call a German number to give me a login code. I work in a SCIF so I'm not allowed to have my cell phone all day unless I leave the bldg and go to my car. Who sold the higher ups on this $#*!e website design?
alexisr90
September 18th, 2019
I'm a 4 year veteran OEF OIF. Served during 9/11 and initial campaigns. I have over 7 years of law enforcement. I have a 4 year degree with a 3.8 gpa. I speak both English and Spanish fluently. I am willing to relocate and take a paycut (I make 100k before taxes). Yet this stupid website makes it impossible for me to be employable. I also refused to put my demographics out for equal opportunity purposes. I want to be hired based on my merit. I have yet to be called for 1 interview. Do not trust this website!
dt181
July 23rd, 2019
The website is a joke. If you have to go through all the BS they require just to get rejected time after time, then the jobs being posted don't deserve your services. Especially when you know you meet the qualifications. Twice, I was rejected because they say I put that I would refuse a polygraph, lol. It also came back that I stated that I didn't have a drivers license. The application I filled and printed out showed otherwise. This is not by accident, they have a way of choosing the exact candidates they want for those lousy federal positions...Indeed.com, Zippy, governmentjobs.com, and your city/state job postings are the way to go. USAJobs.gov ain't all that, trust me don't waste your time and energy. You can't even plan your next move waiting on responses from them...
ayeb1
March 8th, 2019
I saved all 895 rejection emails & going to make into art décor, encase then place next to my framed degree in strategic intelligence. BTW use governmentjobs.com for city, county and state jobs. IT WORKS GREAT!
titob4
June 20th, 2018
If you are not a quota minority or a friend of the hiring manager don't bother applying.

they also expect you to write a 6-8 page resume detailing every little task you ever had that is relevant. (they can suck on my ball sac for that bullsh*t)

garbage site and a waste of time

honestly you will have better luck getting a decent paying job on craigslist

stay away from USAJOBS unless you wanna waste your time and get pissed off realizing all your veterans points, schooling, and experience don't mean jack sh%t to these retards b/c their cousin or girlfriends brother needs a job.

F*CK USAJOBS
arond17
March 7th, 2019
Who in their right mind would make you delete your entire account if you A) no longer have the phone number you started with and B) can't seem to located some 16-key coded you have received over a Year ago to create the account. Once you delete the account you have to wait 24 hours to unlink the account then contact someone there to re-link your account. Well if there was an job announcement with a closing date that was the same day you were locked out USA JOBS developers just F*$# you on the chance. Never in my life have I seen suck a crappy web application.
aaliyahb5
June 5th, 2018
This site should be shut down, I'm a veteran, and went to log in, didn't recognize e-mail, nor my password. Put the pin in that was sent to me, and rejected that. I been a temporary Employee for the last 4 years, and went to log in, and had to re-enter everything all over again. When doing a resume, it don't say how many characters are to be used..Wanted to apply for a permanent position, and couldn't get log on to my account. Unfortunately job closes at midnight, and because of this faulty site, won't be getting that opportunity. It's a disgraceful ,shameful site
toma250
October 12th, 2018
Please do not waste your time applying for any positions posted. It's a joke and the agencies behind the postings are not hiring qualified veterans or experienced applicants. Government in the titled should send a strong message, that it a good ole boy system, where friends hire friends only or relatives hire relatives only. Oh, if your from a country outside the US, you'll have a better chance of landing a job with USA JOB. CRAPPY HIRING SITE THAT GIVE FALSE HOPE OF WORKING.
mariom126
December 5th, 2018
I applied to many law enforcement positions. I have a Bachelor's and two associate degrees as well as retire from military as combat veteran. The post often say a Degree can be used if you do not have law enforcement experience. No matter if you are a vet, they will only hire police or one who already has law enforcement experience. They do not hire vets! Many of my friends have stated the same that the site runs off the good ole boy system!
usajobss
June 14th, 2018
Absolute waste of life and any effort given ....all positions besides less than minimum wage or volunteer work are already filled internally a complete joke.. you will wait 6 months for a vague and udder bull$#*! response from people that just want you to go away Veteran or not
jaieo
March 8th, 2019
If the overall rating began with a zero that's what I would rate this website. Typical government jump through hoops mentality. Keep it simple stupid!
mink16
January 15th, 2019
Imagine your are journeyman and you are more qualifile than apprentice, but if you apply for apprentice position they will notifies that you are "not qualifile". So I believe because of apprentice position, so next time I apply for journeyman position, but still not qualifies. I have electrical engineering degree and I had over 20 years experiences, of course I don't have military background. So I write review on their wedside, same I write on here. You know what..... since them I never get refer. (Before I do get some refer 3 or 4 different place and 2 times phone interviews)
michaelw763
July 17th, 2018
Do not waste your time with this site I was told I didn't qualify for a basic hand tool job. I have been doing industrial maintenance and construction for 25 years and didn't qualify for a basic maintenance job. It's a total waste of time and energy stick to Indeed or others for your needs. Hours wasted for nothing.

Yes, I agree, and NOW they do not have phone numbers for a POC on a lot of announcements which is complete BS... The emails listed on the postings come back as undeliverable - big joke.

By Guglielmo V.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the USAJobs.gov staff and other customers.

Search and apply for federal jobs. Learn about unique hiring paths for veterans, students and graduates, individuals with a disability, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAJobs.gov?

Have a question about USAJobs.gov?