USAJobs.gov

USAJobs.gov has a consumer rating of 1.23 stars from 60 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. USAJobs.gov ranks 90th among Government sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I've applied for more than 200 plus jobs in 2 years and receive no feedback either positive or negative.
  • That was 5.5 years ago, and now I am a GS-12 with a career I never thought I'd have or knew of.
How would you rate USAJobs.gov?

“USA Job site”

T J.
9/7/20

I have used USAJOBS in the past and was unsuccessful. I believe that was before they updated the site slightly, after the update I was able to apply easier. I also spent a little time reading the helpful information and tips regarding the site. I successfully applied, received notices and a job offer. Just takes time and patience.

“Failure to send authorization codes shuts down application.”

Francis S.
6/19/20

The website is hopelessly counterinuitive. When an applicant attempts to create a new password, the site responds... by not responding. If you have no intention of allowing applicants to enter the site, on which these same applicants have saved their curricula vitarum (no, I'm right, that's the plural), then why bother keeping this site on line? I recommend you fire your contractor, who built this site, and find some other group of post-millennial geniuses to design something that works.

2 years (3) 5 years (6)
joej442
April 29th, 2020

USAJobs.gov is the worst job application site that exists. Plan on spending a few hours just filling out the application on USAJobs.gov only to find out that all the information you just filled out is irrelevant because the department or agency website will make you fill it out all again. You're better off filing for unemployment than applying for a federal job. They make the job requirements so specific that unless you have made such a niche career path choice, they don't want you.

michaelg3175
April 11th, 2021

Just like many of my applications "not being considered for this position" or "qualified, not forwarding to selecting official" with no explanation of what was "considered" or why I was "qualified" but being forwarded on to a selecting official. USAJOBS is a Firewall that the Federal Government hides behind. I have several first hand examples. I would have given a no star rating if possible.

Tip for consumers:
USAJOBS is only helpful to someone applying that has an HR employee in the agency the applicant is applying for waiting for the application. It has been a fixed site for years.

joshual293
December 9th, 2020

Learned that you are actually fighting against an algorithm, not a human. If your answers do not meet the pre-determined check boxes, be prepared to be disqualified. It almost requires your to BS your resume and answers just to even make it to a human response. The selection process is pretty beyond brutal and a lot of the jobs are asking for unrealistic levels of experience. A lot of the jobs are underpaid for those seeking to get their foot into the federal system.

ryans811
August 14th, 2020

A time-wasting monster with poor authentication methods, obsession over security that comes at the expense of retention of federal applicant files. Constant resets, deactivations, and notices to delete accounts and rebuild federal CV usually leads people infinitely frustrated that they give up on federal jobs or advancement and just go elsewhere.

tj190
September 7th, 2020

nicks1157
September 17th, 2021

The website is difficult to navigate and when you finally get your information/application submitted for a particular job, it's 50/50 on whether the agency will receive your application. Do your best to deal direct with the agency or use Indeed. And don't bother trying to call USAJobs as there is no phone to get help. It's all by email and the "help" you get is pathetic!

nm280
August 17th, 2020

I somehow strongly feel that usajobs.gov is a scam funded by the govt. I have been applying foe jobs through the website for over 2 years now. I get a response back that my resume has been referred, but it never goes beyond that. It happened at least over 15 times now. I am beginning to wonder if this website is even legit. After a few months i get a response back saying 'even though you were an eligible candidate we found some one else'. This is even without an interview. How would they now even without talking to me that the other person was a better fit.

erikaa146
June 10th, 2021

This website's hiring process is the worse I have ever encountered! I am a 10-year veteran with a master's degree and I keep getting told that I do not meet their qualifications when I do! This website is a joke and until the government sector gets its process of hiring fixed, I will not be applying again! Come on employers, you need to do better for your veterans!

Tip for consumers:
Don't waste your time on this website!

stepht21
January 24th, 2020

The website has no filters for city
Horrible
Im not searching through 3000 listings
The developers need to be fired
I gave up

guglielmov
August 22nd, 2017

Here is a fact people, USAJOBS does NOT hire or screen people OPM does. As a website, it's pretty good and easy to navigate.

Most of these reviews should be for the OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (OPM).

MY STORY: I was hired without an interview after I got out as a disabled VET. I went through the VOCREHAB program set up by the VA and ya I got two degrees too. I submitted 100's of resumes for federal positions for TWO years with minimal "REFERRED TO SELECTING OFFICIAL" notices, maybe 5 or so times. That stinks considering how many jobs I applied for. But I was doing it all WRONG - ALL WRONG!

However, just as my unemployment ran out I was sent an email asking if I wanted a job I had NOT interviewed for - It was a GS-5 position. Yes, I was bummed since I was a Senior NCO when I got out and was doing quite well money wise. We all know GS-5 pay sucks.

So, I toiled for a few days, asked around and at the end of the day I took the position. Something is better than nothing and after all, I would be in the system.

My Chief said I was not hired because I was a Veteran but because my resume showed versatility and at the GS-5 level there was lots of room to grow.

Since getting in, my veteran status HAS helped me get promoted for sure however, I had to go TDY for three and a half months away from my family but the sacrifice paid off AND I got quite a few graduate credits from that school. Win-win.

My point is, if you are NOT getting REFERRED TO THE SELECTING OFFICIAL it's YOUR RESUME, not YOU. When I was going through the VOCREHAB program the feds that came and lectured us on federal hiring said one thing that chimes through whenever I apply for a new job in the government.

They said and I quote "Unfortunately the most qualified people will NOT get the federal jobs out there it's the ones with the BEST RESUME". And I can tell you first hand - THAT IT IS TRUE.

That is unless they have ALREADY pegged a job for SOMEONE. That too is unfortunately true in many cases. That is a prohibited practice but it does happen.

I paid a federal resume writing service to write ONE federal resume for me for a job I was interested in. I did not get that job BUT I was referred. Since that time I took that one resume and tweaked it for every job since and I get referred A LOT. Even for higher paying position, I apply for today.

I do get referred to the selection official a lot, yes, but like you do NOT get selected for many positions and I am a federal employee AND disabled Vet.

Think OPM not USAJOBS when it comes to federal hiring. OPM screens applicants for the process NOT USAJOBS. Now you know who to get mad at.

Also, think BIG RESUME, a 5 - 8 page resume is the NORM forget everything you have ever heard about the one-page resume. In federal hiring that will get you passed over every single time. They scan for KEY WORDS forget the opening statements too UNLESS that statement is filled with KEY WORDS you got from the job announcement. You HAVE to ADJUST the RESUME to EVERY job you apply for EVERY ONE OF THEM. One size does NOT fit all in this process.

And when in doubt HIRE A FEDERAL RESUME WRITER, KEY WORDS WILL GET YOU REFERRED. And for the love of God DON'T DEPEND on your DEGREES unless you are a Nurse, Doctor, Lawyer and so on, and even then EXPERIENCE and LENGTH of your resume WILL make things happen faster for you.

I've been where you are. Understanding the screwed up way this SCREENING process goes will get you in the door. Volume in applying is also a must. Don't submit 10 resumes and expect to be hired, when there are 1000's applying for that same federal jobs, VOLUME and RESUME are what counts.

And when you get DO get referred, and you will. That selection LIST you are on has 5 - 8 other people on in ranked positions SO KEEP APPLYING FOR OTHER JOBS while you wait.

I hope this cleared some things up for you. Just know 1000's of non-vets get hired every day in the federal government. You may have to take a LOWER paying job to just get in the system as well. Only you can make that decision as to if that will work for you.

Walking in the federal door as a GS-12, 13, 14, 15 is rare but NOT impossible. Remember one thing you ARE competing with CURRENT federal employees for those higher paying positions as well.

GOOD LUCK, and I hope this cleared some things up for you.

ryans614
March 23rd, 2020

I've had federal employment. Its overrated. Federal employees are lazy, entitled, and usually rely on temps and seasonal to actually do any real work in their office. Having worked for the federal government is the best possible case for just abolishing this useless entity and separating from it altogether.

roannab
June 19th, 2021

Trying to log in after I changed my password. It keeps auto filling in and old expired password, then tells me it is not valid. I try to use my new password and it says it is not valid. So I sign up AGAIN for a new password and it keeps auto filling the old one and won't accept the new one. Ridiculous and a complete waste of time.

lillyo1
June 3rd, 2013

This is a easy, non-complicated site. I have been looking and applying for jobs and even when the position you apply needs more experience they always respond back with the status of your application, if you weren't selected, they will tell you... Most of the sites where you apply for a job position, they just let you wait forever and never email/call back. I personally think that just the fact they let you know how everything goes with your application is a show of respect..."Respect" lately endangered..

edwardh424
September 20th, 2020

I can't imagine a more ludicrous experience job hunting than USAJOBS.GOV
I have 28 years experience in my Nursing field with Master's Degree and I am Honorably Discharged Veteran. I applied to 39 separate Jobs and not a one yielded much. I had a get "Referred" but still nothing. The Application Questions are absurd and obviously not written by anyone who was acquainted with the Registered Nursing Profession.

This is the gateway to Federal Jobs so I said that was enough of that! These jobs must require an insider to help one out which I don't have. I finally gave up.

mathewr23
May 17th, 2020

I don't know what the point of having this site could be other than meeting some legal mandate to post job openings, but they have no intention of hiring anyone from that site and make it literally impossible in my case to apply in the first place. I made an account/profile, but when I log in it makes me a guest user. When I click on the link indicating I have a profile already it sends me an email to link my account but all those emails ever say is my account cannot be linked and to contact the help desk. When I do that I get nonsensical emails about finding only one account (um... yeah), and replying "above this line" which I cannot do, I can only reply as my email allows, and that's as far as I get. All replies simply say to "reply above this line" which is clearly a way to keep people from applying on that site. I call the number associated with the job listing I was trying to apply for and get a recording stating "this mailbox is full and cannot accept new messages." Complete scam.

ericm1323
July 6th, 2021

It looks like all of the Air Force Job postings on this site are not real openings. They are just pools that they fill. They are forever open and salaries range from nothing to $$$$$$.

ld237
January 26th, 2021

USA JOBS website is a complete mess.
They only cater to military wives who don't have any job experience. You never get referred for jobs, even when you are truly qualified for the position. They need to take this misleading website down.

franciss108
June 19th, 2020

andrewl842
June 26th, 2020

USAJobs.gov is a clearing website for federal agencies required to advertise jobs to the public by law. It is nothing more than a formality, because the agencies are under no obligation to 'close' the jobs, meaning they don't come back to inform the public that a selection has been made. This is why so many referrals literally stay 'green' for years after the closing date.
For every 9 out of 10 jobs, the hiring official has already picked someone internal to the agency. One specific example can be as simple as this: It's easier to train someone internal who already holds a security clearance who will not require long, expensive background checks, than on-board a new person and do the paperwork.
The remaining 1 out of 10 jobs can be broken down in this way:
Half (0.5) will lead to an interview, where the agency is either looking for a well qualified external candidate, who will add value to the agency based on experience and qualifications, and compare them to their internal candidate of choice, or eliminate you with impossible questions that only the internal candidate would be able to answer. It's a win-win game for the agency, and again you are never informed following the interview.
The last 0.5% are jobs where no one wants to go, with a high turnover because you are sent to some lonely outpost of the 'federal empire' as I like to call it. This is the category that I've been in for the last 14 years, even though I'm a veteran. The Federal Government is a closed world, and by all means a good one if you are on the inside, but even being on the inside does not grant you any special favors when using this website to apply for higher managerial positions or even lateral transfers.

jamalj18
December 10th, 2019

This job site is worthless and fake and run by inept people that waste jobseekers time. I've applied for more than 200 plus jobs in 2 years and receive no feedback either positive or negative. Had one phone interview by CBP and was mocked for being unemployed. Whole purpose of looking for a job is to get one? Correct? I'd stay clear of this sucker trap of a job site.

dieselc1
November 22nd, 2019

I do not wish apon anyone to have to deal with this site. Uploading documents is supposed to be an easy process but freezes up all the time. The web page is cluttered there is no customer service or professionalism to help you if there is an issue with your application. USA jobs has affected more than 300,000 applicants this year alone. Don't let it be you before it's too late.

natef28
January 24th, 2020

The requirements for the Wounded Warrior Fellowship Program are straightforward but ambiguous concerning the window of time out of service' (Not clear and open to debate). I have not yet hit my 6-year mark out of active duty, yet according to employees answering the phones I still don't meet the requirement of being within the "last five years." The wording of the requirement "the last 5 years" is ambiguous and I believe I am still eligible when those words are used. I have connected to employees who get the applications and they have to change the wording, the entire sentence, to explain what the requirement of time is talking about. I plead for some understanding on this. If a person reads a requirement or rule (That isn't clear and isn't specific) thus, ambiguous in its meaning, that person in concern is left to assume what is being said was set up for failure from the start.

I explained to the employees how 5.5 years is still included in the requirement wording "last 5 years." The employees explained to me the meaning of the requirement by rewording' the entire requirement. Never once did they use the exact sentence or words as used in the requirement (and what they were saying made complete sense using the words they used). What they were trying to get me to understand I understood fast because the words they used actually meant specifically what they were talking about and what the program was looking for.

I do believe that if this case were brought to a courthouse my argument would win quick and easy. Wording matters. The words used in the requirement of time separated' set me up for failure.

markenz
July 7th, 2021

USAjobs is a joke. The backup code cannot be used to login. I tried 4 backup codes and website said wrong. Come on, please hire some qualified software programmer. I hope to give zero star.

joshuap157
December 20th, 2019

I have applied to over 20 jobs on this site and some below the grade I was in the military. All have came back as not referred. Some said I was not qualified even though I did the duty for over 15 years. I have spoken to several retirees and we have come to a conclusion that the site is looking for service members who leave the military at or before ten years. I know of a Soldier who applied for the same job and got it after being CHAPTERED out the Army

kristinm261
May 1st, 2020

I have a feeling they're posting for jobs that are already filled or written for someone in particular. My husband applied for a USCG job for which he was amply qualified, considering he had already done it; he was IN CHARGE OF THE OFFICE AT ONE POINT. And they told him he wasn't qualified. He contacted his friend who still worked there and yeah, it went to someone they had already chosen. Fast forward, I applied for a low level investigator position with the DHS; I'm a former FBI Special Agent of nearly eleven years. I wasn't qualified. Right.

Yes, I agree, and NOW they do not have phone numbers for a POC on a lot of announcements which is complete BS... The emails listed on the postings come back as undeliverable - big joke.

By Guglielmo V.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the USAJobs.gov staff and other customers.

Search and apply for federal jobs. Learn about unique hiring paths for veterans, students and graduates, individuals with a disability, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAJobs.gov?

Have a question about USAJobs.gov?