Review of USAJobs.gov

Washington, DC 20415, US
usability@usajobs.gov

anonymousa543
3/21/19

I live in an Asian country where there happens to be a military base nearby (I'm an American citizen). There are a couple of careers that I would give up my residency for to work on the base. One particular branch is desperate for employees but are having issues finding people that are qualified with experience and a BA degree (since it's a small base with a small military community). The employees that work there said I should apply through USAJOBS and that the managers will accept applicants that are SOFA-seeking considering its open to the public. After being rejected three times automatically for not meeting the residency requirement (AKA not already having a SOFA), the manager personally contacted a higher-up to make sure my app would be sent to them next time without being rejected by a computer. Well, I just got rejected for the fourth time today and it's probably my last applying for a public position at an overseas base. Despite saying anyone can apply, USAJOBS automatically rejected me again because I'm SOFA seeking. A potential career for myself and a long-term employee for the branch is down the drain because a COMPUTER is deciding on life changing decisions. So much for being discrimination free!

donnaj166
3/18/19

Website is a total joke! I apply for positions, only to have them cancel several times and receive requests to try again. Few of the agencies ever update your status. And, I am unsure how they get away with this. I would love to see Dateline or 20/20, do an investigation regarding the government's shady hiring practices.

ayeb1
3/8/19

I saved all 895 rejection emails & going to make into art décor, encase then place next to my framed degree in strategic intelligence. BTW use governmentjobs.com for city, county and state jobs. IT WORKS GREAT!

jaieo
3/8/19

If the overall rating began with a zero that's what I would rate this website. Typical government jump through hoops mentality. Keep it simple stupid!

arond17
3/7/19

Who in their right mind would make you delete your entire account if you A) no longer have the phone number you started with and B) can't seem to located some 16-key coded you have received over a Year ago to create the account. Once you delete the account you have to wait 24 hours to unlink the account then contact someone there to re-link your account. Well if there was an job announcement with a closing date that was the same day you were locked out USA JOBS developers just F*$# you on the chance. Never in my life have I seen suck a crappy web application.

mink16
1/15/19

Imagine your are journeyman and you are more qualifile than apprentice, but if you apply for apprentice position they will notifies that you are "not qualifile". So I believe because of apprentice position, so next time I apply for journeyman position, but still not qualifies. I have electrical engineering degree and I had over 20 years experiences, of course I don't have military background. So I write review on their wedside, same I write on here. You know what..... since them I never get refer. (Before I do get some refer 3 or 4 different place and 2 times phone interviews)

mariom126
12/5/18

I applied to many law enforcement positions. I have a Bachelor's and two associate degrees as well as retire from military as combat veteran. The post often say a Degree can be used if you do not have law enforcement experience. No matter if you are a vet, they will only hire police or one who already has law enforcement experience. They do not hire vets! Many of my friends have stated the same that the site runs off the good ole boy system!

sarahs680
10/27/18

It is maddening. The Log in feature is broken. I will copy and past the same password and email and then after 5 tries of telling me it is wrong, it magically works. Also it signed me out in the middle of a job survey.

christinag122
10/18/18

Login.gov is a total failure!!!! It doesn't work any of the government sites. It is so convoluted and once you can't get in you can't get in forever. Even if it is a glitch in their system.

michaelm1767
10/16/18

First of all, there is little to nothing available on this site that requires the level of password protection and auto-logout that they have implemented. Get over yourself USAJOBs. Second, Why waste my time with you since every application I submit has to be rerouted to the source website anyway, and then when I DO take the hour to recompile and retype all of the information into THEIR questionnaire, you log me out, thus undoing everything I have submitted. Your search parameters are joke because you do not review the employers posting. Perfect example of this is recruiters for the army/navy/whoever posting enlistment MOS's in every city with salary between E1 and O9, so no matter what you search, a hundred jobs come up that I have to sort through to find anything viable. You have no email confirmation for jobs that are being reviewed or the status of an application.

If I had to guess, you have a JOB posted on your site to run your company, and it's no wonder it's a vacant position.

toma250
10/12/18

Please do not waste your time applying for any positions posted. It's a joke and the agencies behind the postings are not hiring qualified veterans or experienced applicants. Government in the titled should send a strong message, that it a good ole boy system, where friends hire friends only or relatives hire relatives only. Oh, if your from a country outside the US, you'll have a better chance of landing a job with USA JOB. CRAPPY HIRING SITE THAT GIVE FALSE HOPE OF WORKING.

bradleya26
10/11/18

I have been trying to get jobs on this site for over 2 years..to no avail..every job I have applied for I am over qualified for...Site lost my resume after a week of working on building it and directs you to agency you are applying to.. after hours of redundant question answering get to the end click save and apply entire application disappears..
My son got lucky and made it thru and got a job at the pentagon that he was overqualified for as well...After he STARTED the Job USA jobs sent him an email telling him he was not qualified for the position and would not be considered.
ON A JOB HE ALREADY HAD AND WAS WORKING AT FOR A MONTH....
this site is a joke

marieg128
9/19/18

I have applied numerous times for jobs and then only to be told you have the qualifications but we mostly hire veterans. Which don't get me wrong is not bad, but surely I have more experience than some of the veterans that apply and a college degree too boot. Don't waste your time applying unless you are a veteran.

adonj
7/22/18

Why make it so difficult to apply for jobs, when you $#*!s got your jobs it wasn't hard to apply for jobs then now you $#*!faces make it impossible.

michaelw763
7/17/18

Do not waste your time with this site I was told I didn't qualify for a basic hand tool job. I have been doing industrial maintenance and construction for 25 years and didn't qualify for a basic maintenance job. It's a total waste of time and energy stick to Indeed or others for your needs. Hours wasted for nothing.

edr125
6/25/18

Very confusing, sometimes doesn't work at all and definitely not user friendly. The 'help desk' is worthless.

A job applicant must use it however, because for many federal agencies it is the only way to apply for federal employment.

As others have pointed out the vast majority of Federal jobs are filled by internal promotions. The Federal bureaucracy (especially OPM) seems to hold private sector employees in utter contempt.

titob4
6/20/18

If you are not a quota minority or a friend of the hiring manager don't bother applying.

they also expect you to write a 6-8 page resume detailing every little task you ever had that is relevant. (they can suck on my ball sac for that bullsh*t)

garbage site and a waste of time

honestly you will have better luck getting a decent paying job on craigslist

stay away from USAJOBS unless you wanna waste your time and get pissed off realizing all your veterans points, schooling, and experience don't mean jack sh%t to these retards b/c their cousin or girlfriends brother needs a job.

F*CK USAJOBS

usajobss
6/14/18

Absolute waste of life and any effort given ....all positions besides less than minimum wage or volunteer work are already filled internally a complete joke.. you will wait 6 months for a vague and udder bull$#*! response from people that just want you to go away Veteran or not

aaliyahb5
6/5/18

This site should be shut down, I'm a veteran, and went to log in, didn't recognize e-mail, nor my password. Put the pin in that was sent to me, and rejected that. I been a temporary Employee for the last 4 years, and went to log in, and had to re-enter everything all over again. When doing a resume, it don't say how many characters are to be used..Wanted to apply for a permanent position, and couldn't get log on to my account. Unfortunately job closes at midnight, and because of this faulty site, won't be getting that opportunity. It's a disgraceful ,shameful site

wallys10
5/2/18

New system for login is the worst. I understand security for a secure site, but this is for federal jobs not NASA, CIA, FBI or White House. I can't get logged in because I live and work for the US in German. They can't call a German number to give me a login code. I work in a SCIF so I'm not allowed to have my cell phone all day unless I leave the bldg and go to my car. Who sold the higher ups on this $#*!e website design?

raymondc116
4/24/18

This $#*!ing site sucks!! The announcements even when you are over qualified for the jobs led to nothing. I've seen people unqualified to make burgers get government jobs. This $#*!ing site is $#*!.

guglielmov
8/22/17

Here is a fact people, USAJOBS does NOT hire or screen people OPM does. As a website, it's pretty good and easy to navigate.

Most of these reviews should be for the OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (OPM).

MY STORY: I was hired without an interview after I got out as a disabled VET. I went through the VOCREHAB program set up by the VA and ya I got two degrees too. I submitted 100's of resumes for federal positions for TWO years with minimal "REFERRED TO SELECTING OFFICIAL" notices, maybe 5 or so times. That stinks considering how many jobs I applied for. But I was doing it all WRONG - ALL WRONG!!

However, just as my unemployment ran out I was sent an email asking if I wanted a job I had NOT interviewed for - It was a GS-5 position. Yes, I was bummed since I was a Senior NCO when I got out and was doing quite well money wise. We all know GS-5 pay sucks.

So, I toiled for a few days, asked around and at the end of the day I took the position. Something is better than nothing and after all, I would be in the system.

That was 5.5 years ago, and now I am a GS-12 with a career I never thought I'd have or knew of.

My Chief said I was not hired because I was a Veteran but because my resume showed versatility and at the GS-5 level there was lots of room to grow.

Since getting in, my veteran status HAS helped me get promoted for sure however, I had to go TDY for three and a half months away from my family but the sacrifice paid off AND I got quite a few graduate credits from that school. win-win.

My point is, if you are NOT getting REFERRED TO THE SELECTING OFFICIAL it's YOUR RESUME, not YOU. When I was going through the VOCREHAB program the feds that came and lectured us on federal hiring said one thing that chimes through whenever I apply for a new job in the government.

They said and I quote "Unfortunately the most qualified people will NOT get the federal jobs out there it's the ones with the BEST RESUME". And I can tell you first hand - THAT IT IS TRUE.

That is unless they have ALREADY pegged a job for SOMEONE. That too is unfortunately true in many cases. That is a prohibited practice but it does happen.

I paid a federal resume writing service to write ONE federal resume for me for a job I was interested in. I did not get that job BUT I was referred. Since that time I took that one resume and tweaked it for every job since and I get referred A LOT. Even for higher paying position, I apply for today.

I do get referred to the selection official a lot, yes, but like you do NOT get selected for many positions and I am a federal employee AND disabled Vet.

Think OPM not USAJOBS when it comes to federal hiring. OPM screens applicants for the process NOT USAJOBS. Now you know who to get mad at.

Also, think BIG RESUME, a 5 - 8 page resume is the NORM forget everything you have ever heard about the one-page resume. In federal hiring that will get you passed over every single time. They scan for KEY WORDS forget the opening statements too UNLESS that statement is filled with KEY WORDS you got from the job announcement. You HAVE to ADJUST the RESUME to EVERY job you apply for EVERY ONE OF THEM. One size does NOT fit all in this process.

And when in doubt HIRE A FEDERAL RESUME WRITER, KEY WORDS WILL GET YOU REFERRED. And for the love of God DON'T DEPEND on your DEGREES unless you are a Nurse, Doctor, Lawyer and so on, and even then EXPERIENCE and LENGTH of your resume WILL make things happen faster for you.

I've been where you are. Understanding the screwed up way this SCREENING process goes will get you in the door. Volume in applying is also a must. Don't submit 10 resumes and expect to be hired, when there are 1000's applying for that same federal jobs, VOLUME and RESUME are what counts.

And when you get DO get referred, and you will. That selection LIST you are on has 5 - 8 other people on in ranked positions SO KEEP APPLYING FOR OTHER JOBS while you wait.

I hope this cleared some things up for you. Just know 1000's of non-vets get hired every day in the federal government. You may have to take a LOWER paying job to just get in the system as well. Only you can make that decision as to if that will work for you.

Walking in the federal door as a GS-12, 13, 14, 15 is rare but NOT impossible. Remember one thing you ARE competing with CURRENT federal employees for those higher paying positions as well.

GOOD LUCK, and I hope this cleared some things up for you.

stevej142
1/2/17

I have been applying to multiple positions for the last 6 years with NO success. I am retired Air Force (33 years of service), have not only have a Bachelors, but also have my Masters Degree. I have NOT met anyone who has been hired by this web site nor heard of anyone having any luck with this site. Don't bother to apply - totally a waste of time.

ladym1
9/28/16

Applying for these jobs has been a complete waste of my time, even though I am qualified but I am not a veteran so if you are like me just don't even bother. Veterans get top pick over everyone else and since there are so many of them your chances are very slim.

aneishaj
11/4/15

I have used the USAJobs site for several years, and have yet to land a job interview or even a phone interview. I have been referred for several jobs but always get the "referred but not selected." If you are selling the site has helpful to veterans that need jobs I believe you should help them by letting them know the reasons that they were not selected for employment. Just a thought.

Yes, I agree, and NOW they do not have phone numbers for a POC on a lot of announcements which is complete BS... The emails listed on the postings come back as undeliverable - big joke.

By Guglielmo V.

Questions? Get answers from the USAJobs.gov staff and other customers.

USAJobs.gov?