TreasuryDirect

TreasuryDirect has a consumer rating of 3.52 stars from 21 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. TreasuryDirect ranks 5th among Government sites.

• Buying treasury and savings bonds was made easy with Treasury Direct.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate TreasuryDirect?

“Great experience!”

Eric W.
3/2/21

I sent in my EE savings bond to be redeemed, it took a week or two for them to receive it and confirm the amount, but after they did I received the fund in my account two days later!

“Terrible website, terrible customer service, terrible experience”

thomas c.
2/18/21

It seems nearly impossible these days to find a bank that will let you turn in savings bonds, meaning you have to deal with this garbage website. Terrible to navigate, pages crash constantly forcing you to log in again (they only let you enter your password in by typing a keyboard with your mouse). Try to edit any bank account info, you need to have a Medallion stamped form, that banks have about as much desire to give out as they do to cash your bonds in the first place. I legitimately think there is a scheme to make redemption as difficult as possible, in the hopes of people just giving up. A pinnacle example of government incompetence.

savings bonds (4)
thomasc1457
February 18th, 2021

buzb3
June 8th, 2020

After years of buying EE Bonds every pay day for years they are maturing every month for years to come. I registered all the bonds and sent them in to Treasury Direct thinking that they would deposit the cash in my savings account as they matured every month. That isn't the case though. Every month I have to login to Treasury Direct and redeem the bonds that mature and are available on the 1st of each month, then request they money be transferred to my bank account. Then wait to see what doesn't happen and try again. Over and over. It doesn't work. Take my advise, it is less work and effort to deposit your bonds at your bank and get the credit immediately. The Treasury Direct web site is very hard to navigate, sure you can buy bonds there, but when it comes to turning your cash over to a bank, forget about it, it ain't gonna happen. Believe me don't do it, you'll be sorry when your sitting at home waiting for that deposit month after month.

kenb536
December 18th, 2020

Treasury Direct is the biggest rip off going right now. They make it easy to buy bonds but good luck redeeming them and getting your money back. They require your bank to use their Corporate Seal or Medallion to verify your identity. The problem is that banks are not in the business of verifying identity for someone else and their Seals and Medallions are usually at the corporate headquarters. Several banks that I spoke to said they thought the form was a scam. They said that the Department of Treasure more than anyone else should know banks are not going to execute a document with their official seals for what amounts to an affidavit of identity

ericw1048
March 2nd, 2021

johnj2166
April 29th, 2021

Honestly the TreasuryDirect website has always been clunky. If you forget and use the back and forward buttons it will crash, but also If you take too long asking a question in their email form, they kick you out of the system. I was fine with dealing with all of that annoyance, but they out did themselves with Requiring you to submit a form to them via mail if you would like to change or add a bank to your Treasury account. NOT ONLY that but also have a bank official verify your identity and have them stamp their medallion signature. All this to 'protect from fraud'. That is of course total BS. You have to mail a form with all your bank acct information and your SSN and pray the post office doesnt loose that. There you have it, TreasuryDirect protecting you from fraud by exposing you to identity theft.

helenb74
Helen B.
June 2nd, 2016

Treasury Direct helped us with our retirement planning. We really didn't know where to start and it pointed us in the right direction. It was a huge help.

chrisz19
Chris Z.
March 7th, 2016

The "How to" demo videos on TreasuryDirect were incredibly helpful when my wife and I were buying savings bonds for our children. They even have a step-by-step tip sheet to help you along the way. It was very easy to do with their help.

gayles8
October 15th, 2015

If I could give Treasurydirect.gov MINUS stars, I would! After my husband died, I needed to cash his bonds in and have them direct deposited in my checking account. So, when I couldn't get to his "temporary password" because his e-mail account was closed due to inactivity, I e-mailed TD and explained the situation. They responded by putting a hard lock on his account and telling me I needed to fill out forms, and send letters of appointment. So, these "letters of appointment" had to be done by my attorney, of course forcing me to put out even MORE money. So I send the letters of appointment, death certificate, and even the judges letter granting me title to my late husbands savings bond account. And I send all of this certified mail, so I can get the receipt that the package was delivered and signed for. SO (trying to make a long story short) a MONTH later I get the signed receipt back - find out that the address they gave me to send the package to was WRONG. They told me to send it to a West Va. Address, and it actually ended up going to a Minneapolis address. So two weeks later (a total of 6 weeks since info was mailed) I once again e-mailed to ask about the status. They send me an e-mail back telling me the current processing time was 10 WEEKS! I e-mailed them back, telling them this was unacceptable, that I am a widow and need access to this money. They e-mail me back, simply apologizing but offering no solution. THREE MORE weeks pass, and I e-mail them again. FINALLY, I received the money in my account the middle of October - almost 2 and a half months after I mailed the info.

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. I will NEVER buy savings bonds again. You should be able to get to your money when you need it. Treating customers (especially widows) like this does not instill confidence in the way our money is taken care of.

Tip for consumers:
STAY AWAY!!

dorothyn12
Dorothy N.
December 16th, 2015

Treasury Direct Kids helped me explain to my middle schooler all about treasury securities and savings bonds. He was interested in the process after receiving a savings bond from his Grandmother for his birthday. The site made it clear and easy for him to understand when I just didn't know where to start!

andrewd77
Andrew D.
February 18th, 2016

Buying treasury and savings bonds was made easy with Treasury Direct. The site walks you through the process and explains everything is detail. It couldn't have been easier doing it on my own with Treasury Direct.

stanislasr3
May 3rd, 2013

If you want to buy treasury bonds, bills, notes, etc. directly from the US Government, this is the place to do it. The fees are the lowest and you can trust them as much as you can trust any thing I suppose. The bad news is, as of May 3,2013 you essentially are paying the government to borrow your money since most (all?) real yields are currently negative and if interest rates rise as they one day will, all us bond holders will probably lose even more money. That said, what other assets look more attractive these days? I wish I knew...

10 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension or converted from reviews due to lack of content.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the TreasuryDirect staff and other customers.

We're a new Bureau of the Treasury Department formed from the consolidation of the Financial Management Service and the Bureau of the Public Debt. Our mission is to promote the financial integrity and operational efficiency of the U.S. government throu...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TreasuryDirect?

Have a question about TreasuryDirect?