TomHess.net

TomHess.net has a consumer rating of 4.73 stars from 41 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. TomHess.net also ranks 3rd among Music Other sites.

• Taking guitar lessons with Tom Hess has been one of the greatest decisions I've made in a long time!
  • Ive been a part of Tom Hesss music career mentoring program for many months.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate TomHess.net?

“Very helpful guitar lessons”

Josh H.
2/11/16

Great guitar lessons.. very organized and Tom Hess is a good player who explains new ideas very well. My style is along the lines of Lamb Of God and Meshuggah, so I play technical and heavy stuff. He showed me some things I didn't know about playing 7 string and has helped me play much cleaner using thumb muting. Cool guy.

“scam artist”

Jason R.
2/23/17

I wasted over a grand on this guy for nothing. He'll bleed you dry and threaten lawsuits while he's doing it. Every program he sells is an introduction to his next bigger better and more expensive program that's SURE to teach you all the secrets of the music business that he doesn't know because he got kicked out of Rhapsody.

guitar lessons (14) music career (14) music industry (4) guitar teacher (5)
eyvindurk
August 13th, 2015
Tom Hess is a master... At marketing. He's a good enough player and probably a pretty good teacher. I only stayed around on his site for two lessons. I felt they were pretty generic. Not that they were bad, I just didn't think they were worth the steep price he puts on them. I just don't feel right paying that much for 3-4 generic exercises and a few motivational speeches. They might get better, but I was a bit hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars before actually getting something profound, if that ever happened. What also irks me a bit are the bold claims in the ad copy that most other guitar instructors are no good.

But what caused me to finally decide leave the course was the amount of politics in his forum. The forum is presented as an essential part of your growth as a musician, and certain political discussions in there made me feel unwelcome. I had some abrasive interactions that made me feel very uncomfortable, so I left. I need to feel comfortable with the people I'm working with, and I just didn't feel that anymore.

Lastly: There's no money back guarantee. No try before you buy.
calebd16
October 27th, 2014
I came to Tom Hess hoping to learn how to play faster. He has been very good at showing me where the flaws are in my playing so that I can quickly improve on them to get better. After a few months, I've already learned how to pick much faster and more efficiently.. plus improve my speed and accuracy with techniques like sweep picking and string skipping. Thumbs up.
jasonr115
February 23rd, 2017
joshh61
February 11th, 2016
kevinp95
September 22nd, 2016
I've learned so much in the Music Careers Mentoring Program... When I started I didn't even know what I wanted to do... I just knew I wanted to be a musician for a living. After only a few sessions, Tom Hess helped me shape my goals and motivated me to achieve BIG things. Now, not only have I released my own music and play in a touring band... but I make money through teaching music (= no crappy day job!). I couldn't be more happier with my choice to join the program!
mannyl2
September 13th, 2015
Tom Hess's mentoring has helped me make big changes in my music career through getting my band started and going on tours. He talks a lot about not only the mindset you need to be successful but the specific details that separate pros from amateurs. I've really got a lot out of every session and the forum is full of pro musicians who are all very experienced and ready to help with any situation that has come up so far in my career. Awesome program.
jimp50
November 20th, 2014
Tom is great at getting down to the root of any problem you have in your guitar playing and helping you understand the steps you must take to fix it. When I first began lessons with him, I was unaware of many inefficiencies in my technique which I had developed over years... Tom quickly corrected these and my playing massively improved in only the first couple of lessons, so I could play faster and more accurately.
harryl26
April 2nd, 2015
By taking guitar lessons with Tom Hess I finally learned how to play fast and clean at the same time. Tom is very helpful and committed to getting results for you.
melc19
September 29th, 2014
I came to Tom with the goal of improving my rhythm guitar playing. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was certainly impressed after I got the very first lesson. Tom is an expert teacher for sure and knows how to get results. I've made tons of progress to improve my rhythm playing and picked up on many new concepts along the way.
trevorj16
March 30th, 2015
I started using the guitar playing accelerator after spending a long time not knowing how to practice guitar in a very organized manner or really knowing what I wanted to accomplish. But this tool really helped me out. Honestly I'm amazed at how in depth it goes.. you can track every tiny aspect of your guitar playing so that you see what you need to work on... then after the week is up you can see how much progress you made. Actually it's pretty fun to see myself improving and motivating at the same time. I really feel like I'm getting somewhere in my playing and moving along the right path.
leoc16
October 12th, 2014
I tried many guitar teachers before I started guitar lessons with Tom Hess and it’s safe to say, there is no comparison. Tom has been extremely helpful in terms of setting up a strategy for helping me achieve the things I wanted to achieve... such as becoming a cleaner lead guitarist and building my speed. Working with Tom has really opened my eyes to all the small (but important) things you need to change to get better. Right now I’m playing faster and cleaner than ever before.
jima38
September 29th, 2014
These guitar lessons are awesome. Tom always brings something fresh every lesson and totally surprises you with something you never thought of before. You would never think of this stuff on your own or by reading tabs/watching random videos. The best part is, he creates a custom strategy to make everything work towards getting you closer to your unique guitar playing goals. I'm 10 times better since I began lessons with Tom Hess... definitely worth a shot if you're feeling stuck in your playing!
donh50
December 19th, 2014
Working with Tom Hess has been a great experience. Overall, his guitar lessons are very detailed and fun, it is very rare that he sends me material that isnt in line with what I want to learn. So far, he has helped me greatly speed up my playing and become creative with my soloing technique. Tom has a very unique teaching style that makes him fun to learn with but at the same time I know that I'm going to get results.
seanp19
September 26th, 2014
Hi there,

I started taking guitar lessons with Mr. Tom Hess around 3 years ago (which are bad ass). Then I got accepted into his music careers mentoring program. At first, i just wanted to try to make money selling my own music, but then Tom made me realize there is so much more to becoming a successful pro musician. After having several calls with him, he helped guide me through some issues i was having and now i work full time on MUSIC by touring with my band and teaching guitar. I am so grateful I came across Tom.
burtd13
August 16th, 2015
I just signed up for the guitar playing accelerator and have been having a blast with it for the past week or so. You can track almost literally any guitar skill you can think of and see how much you've improved in a specific area over a set period of time. This has been really helpful for me spotting the areas in my playing where I need to improve in order to bring my overall skills up to par. So far it's helped me break through a speed barrier I've had with playing scale sequences that I've been struggling with for a long time.. Awesome tool... and very refreshing to see how much tracking/measuring progress really does make you get better faster.
nathanw31
October 5th, 2014
Taking guitar lessons with Tom Hess has been an eye opening experience. Not only have I become a far better guitar player in a relatively short time, but I have learned how to write creative songs as well. While working with Tom, you'll never feel lost or discouraged. He always answers any questions you have really quickly and motivates you to push yourself to a higher level. I've never worked with a better guitar teacher...
jaya29
November 20th, 2014
If you apply what Tom Hess tells you into your music career, your success is guaranteed. I joined the Music Careers Mentoring Program with the goal of becoming a full time professional musician, and I’m proud to say that I’ve been able to reach this goal with Tom’s help. He knows exactly which step you need to take to move your career forward and really holds your hand throughout the process. Joining this program has been the best thing I ever did for my music career.
rodolphoa
November 20th, 2014
Anyone who is serious about becoming a better guitarist needs to work with Tom Hess. First of all, he’s an incredible player. Second, he’s also an incredible teacher. He will determine the best actions you should take to reach your guitar playing goals and show you everything you need to know to reach them. All you need to do is practice what he says and the results will roll in! Anyone can become a killer guitar player by working with Tom.
stevenj30
December 10th, 2014
After stopping my subscription with JamPlay I decided to find a new guitar teacher. Although I had read many of Tom Hesss articles online, I was still a bit unsure about starting lessons with him, but I bit the bullet and gave him a shot. Turns out, Tom is a very good teacher who has been very instrumental in me becoming a better guitarist. Hes very motivating to work with and even though Im already a fairly advanced player, he always seems to know a better & more effective way of doing things to help me improve my playing.
thomasp36
November 20th, 2014
I began guitar lessons with Tom Hess because I felt like I had no direction in my playing. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. As soon as we started, he had developed a plan to help me achieve my specific musical goals (which are playing faster and learning to solo better) and within only a few lessons I already feel like I am quickly becoming the player I want to be.
diegoa18
November 20th, 2014
I just had an excellent one on one call with Tom Hess! I am new to building my music career and often get overwhelmed with all the steps I need to take to move things forward. Fortunately, Tom has helped me stay on top of the things that are most important so that I keep advancing toward my greatest musical goals. Every time we speak he tells me exactly what to do and all I have to do is apply what he says!
keitht18
January 10th, 2015
Joined the music career mentoring program and so far I'm glad I did. Just had a call with Tom Hess himself, which was excellent. I'm just now beginning my music career and thre are so many things I have to do that I get overwhelmed pretty easily...writing an album, playing in my band, etc etc Tom was able to tell me exactly what I need to focus on now so that I can quickly accomplish the things that are most important for me in my music career!! All I have to do now is take action on his advice. Having a forum full of helpful musicians is also a cool part of this program... after talking with Tom and everyone else, I feel super motivated.
nickk35
November 20th, 2014
Tom Hess has been instrumental in my success as a pro musician. Not only is he very down to earth, but his music career advice is always relevant and valuable. Over the course of several months, he has helped me understand how to make a great living through music (without having to go to university... something I was going to do initially) and opened my eyes to a whole new world as far as HOW the music industry really works. I recommend anyone who wants to grow a successful career in the music industry to join Tom Hess’s mentoring program.
ianh41
September 29th, 2014
Tom Hess cannot be compared to any other guitar teacher out there. His knowledge of music and guitar is in a league of his own. I've been taking lessons with him for a little over a couple years and my technique has drastically improved. It's crazy to think about how much better I am now than before when I was learning on my own/with online videos/etc. Tom is very clear in his teaching methods and good at keeping you on the right path to achieving whatever you want to accomplish on guitar. Every lesson I feel inspired and excited to be making progress!
edr24
November 20th, 2014
Tom Hess’s Music Career Mentoring Program has been amazing for my music career! In it I’ve learned everything from how to grow a career in the music industry, what kind of mindset is needed to succeed, how to manage my time and money effectively and how to form powerful partnerships with other musicians (among many other things). Certainly you must still put in the work on your end to see growth in your career, but Tom gives you all the information you need to succeed!

Tom Hess can help you if you play electric guitar and any of the following styles, it's not true that he only teaches metal: - rock guitar lessons - metal guitar lessons - progressive styles - neoclassical & shred - pop - indie - classic rock - blues styles You can read all details about his online guitar lessons at https://tomhess.net/Guitar

By Uli L.,