Review of ThemeForest

Tel: +61 8376 6284
do-not-reply@themeforest.net

mandyw29
2/16/19

pathetic, they delete your bad reviews of themes and there is no refund despite their terms and conditiosn saying ther eis a refund

nickk127
Nick K.
2/14/19

The site is garbage. If a provider on it sells you a $#*! product there is no way to get a refund if they author refuses. They say there is a dispute process but offer no links to file a dispute and no way to contact themeforest. Worthless.

kentyt
2/5/19

Don't buy from Themeforest. You would be frustrated and disappointed! When it comes to developer vs user, Themeforest acts unfairly against users. The developer threatened to delete my API if I don't remove my review for their theme and I reported that to Envato market. Envato (Themeforest) didn't do anything about my report but instead deleted my review!! My review was my own experience with the theme and all true and correct.

jamesh473
1/19/19

Don't buy from themeforest if you dont want to be disappointed like me! Quite a number of my purchases are "no longer available" and themeforest wont tell you why. They remove your downloads and gives no explanation leaving you out of money and potentially vulnerable to viruses and even lawsuits if the theme was removed for copyright reasons for example. You only have to look at sitejabber and trustpilot to see just how many people have themeforest/envato have annoyed.

armandg13
11/30/18

I purchased the Medici theme and it wouldn't install completely (no demo content, etc.) due to a glitch with the clever-vc-addon. Themeforest assured me it worked so I installed it for the third time on a completely separate server. Exact same results. And they removed my one star rating and comment.

lext4
10/25/18

As others pointed out, they delete negative reviews for themes. I bought a theme that didn't work, spent hours and hours on trying to fix it. I finally contacted support and they blamed everything but themselves. Then they worked on it for longer than they expected to (because the theme is buggy as hell) and finally asked me if I could take a look if the theme now looks ok. It did look somewhat ok. However, the functionality of the them was still broken and most features still didn't work. At this point I told them I paid for the theme so I don't have to waste time building it and I am wasting my time on it, so I want a refund, because the theme doesn't work. They said no. Now, what's even worse is that the negative review gets deleted every time. I give them a negative review over and over again to warn other people of the bad theme, but every time it gets deleted. This is very scammy, because it doesn't let you know of any issues the theme has before you buy it. You think you're getting a 5 star theme, but only because every negative review is deleted. Needles to say, I am never buying from themeforest again.

giuseppef10
10/1/18

If I buy a theme that has a certain "look" it is because I want THAT and then adapt it. What I got was an empty shell that I have to build myself.
I want my money back but I can't and these people do not even have a half decent support!
AWFUL

camillea17
9/19/18

EDIT: Paypal sided with me on the dispute claim after I explained the whole ordeal to them.

---------------------

This company is a crapshoot. They claim that they will give you a refund if an item is not as described. "Item is "not as described"
An item is "not as described" if it is materially different from the item description or preview so you should expect the author to "tell it like it is" when it comes to the features and functionality of items. If it turns out the item is "not as described" you will be entitled to a refund."

That's their policy but they do not enforce it when you wish to get a refund. Nope, the support agent Vhon said this to me: "I have checked the form on my end, however, it still appears that the status is "In Progress", even though he specified that he's not granting the refund, it only means that the author has not yet finalized the decision of your request.

Note: Envato can only step-in to review your plea once a dispute has been raised. Dispute only applies if the author does not respond after a 5 day period AEST or if they have declined your request for a refund."

This is illegal, because what this allows is for any seller on this site to keep a buyer in limbo from getting their money by replying back to the buyer on and on OR simply not declining the request. This is a scam, plain and simple. And if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought on the site the first place.

With that in mind, my story is like: I found a wordpress theme I really liked for my portfolio that claimed I could set up in minutes thanks to drag n drop. Envato add on a 2$ for the Paypal fee which is against Paypal's TOS big time. I thought the fee was only for credit cards which is the norm but it's not. When I tried to set up the theme with the demo content, it was fine, but when I tried to edit them to set up my portfolio, I found out that it was way too difficult but I found myself forced to use the plugins else it wouldn't look as pictured, thus the item not as described. I contacted the seller thinking that they would understand but no, they were rude, unprofessional, sassed me, basically mansplained what plugins were (I've worked with Wordpress since 2010, I know what plugins do), the hours of theme making is, and said that since it was the plugin at fault, not their theme, it wouldn't be refunded. They kept my request as in progress and the support agent saw this when I tried to bring it up higher. They said they couldn't do anything about it.

So when I went to raise a dispute in Paypal after replying to the support agent that this system was bogus, very much illegal, promising that I will be taking my business elsewhere and to get my refund either way due to paying with Amex, I found myself locked out of my account.

This is their pattern, they refuse to help you and instead let them and the seller take the money. Look around on the internet, this is outrageously illegal.

You can imagine how livid how I was when I found out I was locked out of my account all for standing up to their shady practices and policies. I already managed to take screenshots, but doing this shows they don't give a flying flip, they just want the money. If i had known the horrors, I would've stayed to another site I use.

Finally having enough, I escalated the report to a claim on Paypal to get my money back and while I can go straight to Amex still, they need to stop bullying people who are too busy to handle this situation, instead letting them keep the money.

No, that's not how a service works. No legit business would pull this. I told you I was going to make you hate me, Envato. The more I spread this, the more people will be aware to stay far far away from your terrible business practices, if one can call it that :)

anthonya180
9/15/18

As others have said be careful buying on this site, the purchases are not guaranteed even if they say they are. I have had many purchases "disappear" from my download list even the ones I paid extra for. When asked about this, Envato told me that either the seller or vendor can pull the item at anytime without any notice. You won't even be able to download the last version that was up there before being removed.

jorisv4
9/11/18

There are many providers selling goods on Envato. Sometime you buy things hoping it is what you're looking for, but then it seems that either providers are not that customer friendly or the script or template doesn't wok. Then I can rely on Envato team to make sure I ghet my money back. A wonderfull service where you can rely on. It is my number one site to get professional meterial. Thank you Envato.

chrisl480
8/3/18

I bought a theme called everything, https://themeforest.net/item/everything-multipurpose-premium-responsive-shopify-themes-fashion-electronics-cosmetics-gifts/13817698 for shopify
It is advertised as having 100+ demos/home pages to build off of, but once you download it, there's only 87 for $69. The developer is tvlgiao and their reply to my ticket was, "their coming soon once they finish them".

I asked for a refund and they quit replying to my ticket. I gave them a 1 star review, which they deleted or theme forest deleted since this developer has a lot of sales and brings in money for theme forest. I have since re-done my review, but I'm sure it will get deleted too, so I'm curious just how many 1 star reviews this theme/developer really has. I have disputed my refund with theme forest and am waiting for their decision. It says whatever they decide is final, so if they allow false advertising from a developer just because they bring in a lot of revenue via sales, we will have to file a dispute with PayPal next.

sunt15
5/2/18

we buy same script template to themeforest and evanto not same details i buy after i ask for return money ,
themeforest evanto ask me ok for return money to my account
i ask not you must to return money to my paypal account
themeforest evanto not want to return to my paypal i complaint paypal and themeforest evanto block my account

after investigation i suspect themeforest evanto is are india company registrer to australia and is not good plateform ..

1 many items incomplet
2/ many items not same show front end
3/ bad service and not honest support.

so is are pure scam do not buy eveything to themeforest evanto codecanyon ect is are bad company stolen your money pure scam !

sandras262
4/27/18

Purchased a theme from ThemeForest. Customer service is illusive. You don't know WHAT issues you will have until you dive into the Theme or Product. Once you realize you have issues, the ONLY way to solve issues is through their customer service which is impossible to locate. Days to get back to you and difficult communication.

I finally deleted the theme and all associated elements. Out over $100. Lesson learned.

andreasj3
2/13/18

I've been trying to get a refund from Theme Forest/Envato Market for three weeks, but can't even get a straight answer from them. They keep telling me to contact Envato Market to get a refund, but when I contact Envato Market, they tell me to contact Theme Forest. The ironic thing is that they keep sending me customer satisfaction surveys that I give them a 1 on each time, but they don't respond and don't care.
STAY FAR AWAY from these scammers!

emiliea1
2/12/18

The themes don't work at all. The mail to get the ticket doesn't even exist.
I hope they gonna pay for this...

stevej112
1/26/18

Purchased 2 site templates with all the image showing - but when downloaded no images - spoke to their 'help' only to be told images not included in template. This is a scam. Go and buy a beer instead - you'll get better value for money

necc
1/25/18

This"company" sold me a defective theme with missing code and refused to refund my money by simply ignoring my request for days. Based in Australia, there is also an address for them in Utah...where I now filed a BBB complaint. STAY AWAY!

ddd26
7/30/17

We made a site for a very large cannabis company. every time we updated with the current code their was always huge breaks or problems that prevented the site from taking revenue in some parts of the store. the author used outdated woocommerce files. they sell the theme as CURRENT AND UP TO DATE, last update 7 months ago! now we all know wordpress and woocommerce rolls out updates much more often so his use of outdated code was just plain lazy. We gave him a bad review as he repeatedly did this, every time THEMEFOREST ERASED IT, the author has over 5000 sales of a $45 item, MEANING THEY MADE OVER $100,000 FOR THE AUTHOR AND ANOTHER 100,000 FOR THEMSELVES...... SO .......... leaving bad ratings thwarts his success and it cost THEMEFOREST MONEY SO THEY ERASE HIS BAD REVIEWS AS HE IS A SENIOR AUTHOR. NOW THEY KEEP ASKING US TO PAY FOR SUPPORT., SO WE PAY AND THEN THEY TELL US TO $#*! OFF THEY WILL UPDATE IT WHEN THEY GET A CHANCE

IF YOU HAVE A VALUABLE CLIENT DO NOT BUY FROM THEMEFOREST

joseu5
3/10/17

stay as far away as you can from these scam artist
totally ripped me off on a theme that one of there authors made.
Missing plugins and missing code.
turned for help to theme forest and basically they told me to take it up with the author.
that went back and forth for a week, finally I knew I got ripped, so stay away go to theme monster, much better with a 30 day return policy if your not satisfied

Tip for consumers: so stay away go to theme monster, much better with a 30 day return policy if your not satisfied

jamest51
10/3/16

I bought a wp theme and authors update killed my site! This has now happened 3X! It seems that many authors are releasing buggy updates so they can scam you to pay for extra support. Be sure to research authors reviews and forums to get a better idea if author is sincere in helping his paid clients.

clarkkentk
1,677 helpful votes
8/9/16

I've been sourcing some themes from them for the past 4 years, I have rarely been disappointed. Best place to get your themes, as long as you have someone who can install them for you

miked201
8/2/16

Before purchasing from Envato, I recommend you review the page envato ripoffs on facebook.

My experience was typical: I purchased a theme from them, but it could not be installed using the written directions. I requested support MANY TIMES, but they simply ignored me. When I requested a refund, they simply locked my account, then said NO.

cassandraa8
6/28/16

I wish I would have looked to see what customers had to say about this site before I purchased anything! Please do not throw away your money! THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM!!!!

waynec45
6/11/16

Google "theme forest complaint" because there have been many, including the inability to get a refund from them or Envato Marketplace when things don't work right. I strongly suggest choosing a different theme so you don't get burned like I did when I had unresolvable problems with their Subway theme.

regans2
5/24/16

I have been a member for over 8 years, bought hundreds of files and I am usually pretty happy with them., there have been themes that I purchased over the years that were not as asvertised exactly, but that is very rare. I use them often

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I'd go to Elegantthemes.com and buy Divi 3.0

By Nec C.
Questions? Get answers from the ThemeForest staff and other customers.

1 Photo for ThemeForest