Review of StartPage

StartPage reviews

lorraines50
11/3/17

but I find you even more biased than google, I did a simple search on, Is Islam a relgion or an ideal and your search brought up only things on how it is a religion of peace????? and it brought up none of the bad aspects of Islam at all, I had to go to Yahoo and Bing for any kind of real search or information.

halat1
7/25/17

Since using startpage everytime I search for anything on google I get email adverts following up on my recent searches. Last month for examples I've tried to look for holiday destinations and suddenly my yahoo emails are flooded with adverts from travel websites promoting the destinations I had searched for and tripadvisor asking me if I still want to go there. Mind you when I did my search I never logged into any website including tripadvisor, I only did the search on StartPage. It's awful!!

Response from StartPage S., StartPage Representative
Hi Hala. If you are seeing ads based on things you've searched for in the past through StartPage, that is not something we are doing. We do not record your searches, and we do not share your information with advertisers. We can't, because we don't record your data.

(In fact, our privacy promises are 3rd-party certified. You can read more about this here: https://support.startpage.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/714/0/how-can-your-privacy-policies-be-verified-can-users-trust-startpage-to-do-what-it-says)

The ads you are seeing probably result from a cookie you picked up when you left StartPage by clicking on a website result. Here's how it works:

Whenever you search with StartPage, your search is not recorded, your IP address is not recorded, your identity is not recorded, no tracking cookies are placed on your browser, and our SSL Encryption ensures that your ISP and hackers can't eavesdrop. You are never seen by Google, even though you receive authentic Google results through StartPage.

That protection applies 100% to your searches. However, when you click on a search result, whether you got it from us, Bing, Yahoo, or any other search engine, you leave the search engine that gave you the link and go somewhere else.

Wherever you go, once you leave StartPage, you can be seen, recorded, and tracked by the website you are going to, plus by all of its advertising and marketing and tracking partners and affiliates.

Third-party websites can place cookies on your browser that record your visit and indicate your interest in the contents on their websites. Marketers can later use those cookies to determine your past browsing history and serve you ads about those topics.

To avoid this, you can use the free StartPage Proxy which allows you to visit third-party websites through StartPage without anyone, including the website and its partners, seeing you. Our proxy service is unique, and the privacy protection it provides is not available through any other search engine.

To learn more about the StartPage Proxy and how it works, please visit this link: https://www.startpage.com/proxy/eng/help.html

If you have any other questions, please email our support team: Support@StartPage.com
gerardk13
7/4/17

When in StartPage browser type in 'ip address' and enter, and up pops your IP address and location. I'd have thought that the op address of the search engine would appear! It's not as private as you think.

Response from StartPage S., StartPage Representative
Hi Gerard. Maybe you are thinking of the US private search engine DuckDuckGo? We don't offer that "what is my IP address feature." DuckDuckGo does.

Note that StartPage.com does NOT record your IP address or any other personal information. That said, when you visit a 3rd party website directly without any protection, that site can see your IP address. An IP address is like a snail mail address that indicates where mail you request should be sent.

If you want to visit 3rd party websites via StartPage, you can do so anonymously using the free StartPage proxy. Here is a link to information about that feature: https://support.startpage.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/146/0/where-is-the-startpage-proxy-and-how-do-i-use-it

Hope this helps! Feel free to email our tech team if you have any questions about this: Support@startpage.com
frankb110
4/7/17

The problem with StartPage (formerly Ixquick) is that their search results are nothing compared to what you would get with Google. You can test it for yourself. The search results are surprisingly horrible, and in some cases unusable, e.g., getting zero results on a set of search terms with StartPage while Google provides hundreds of matches....still happening a year later after my Ixquick review. Privacy is essential, but a search engine must have some useful capacity comparatively speaking, and StartPage just doesn't cut it.

Update (5/20/17): In response to the reply from StartPage S. -- I'm on a dynamic IP (it changes regularly), never logged in to Google, have no Google software installed on my computer, and my browser cache is always cleared, etc. So Google has no search history or profile or any other means to track me or my searches.

Besides, I don't use Google and haven't for several years now. I've only used Google to comparatively test results among other search engines. I've done a number of tests over the past several years, all of which were conducted under new/different IP addresses, and some of which were at different geographical locations. Bottom line, the "tracking variable" in my tests is effectively controlled.

And as I've already mentioned, the issue here is in the quality of search results as well as the quantity, e.g., zero results with StartPage while Google provides hundreds in some cases. Moreover, I'm also comparing StartPage results with other non-tracking search engines. Sorry, but the technical glitch is not on my end.

For those interested, I've opted to use DuckDuckGo. It has its problems as well, but comparatively it remains the best out of the non-tracking alternatives out there, all of which still fall behind Google in terms of their search results, but from my testing and experience the best alternative to Google for privacy.

Response from StartPage S., StartPage Representative
Hi Frank. Google delivers search results to users based on their past search history and what Google thinks they would like to see or should see based on their profile information. StartPage does not do that. What's more, we cannot do that because your personal information and search history remain private when you use StartPage.

That said, you should be getting great search results through StartPage. It sounds like there could be a technical issue. Please email our technical team so we can look into it: Support@StartPage.com. Thanks!
pf13
7/5/15

Google dropped the plus sign operator in 2011, but StartPage never adapted to this change, i.e., StartPage helpfully inserts a plus sign in front of each keyword. Hopefully the people who maintain StartPage will some day figure this out!

Response from StartPage S., StartPage Representative
Hi PF. We'd like to help. Please email our tech team: Support@StartPage.com Thank you!
andrewc18
6/3/15

I personally use DuckDuckGo as my default browser, mainly because it includes shortcuts to directly search a website (for example, typing "!sp ducks" into DuckDuckGo gives you Startpage search results for ducks).

But because DuckDuckGo is sometimes lacking in normal searches, I often use the aforementioned Startpage shortcut to get more relevant results.

id422
8/12/14

Startpage doesn't seem to find existing websites that are readily found by other search engines. I could not find one of my own websites for one of the businesses that I own AT ALL. What's the use of privacy if you can't find the sites you are looking for? No, there was not a problem with my site because I could readily find it using another search engine. So, I would have to say thumbs down on Startpage.

jonahh7
2/16/13

Startpage is a VERY awesome alternative to Yahoo & Google and they are working on Startmail which will work like Yahoo mail minus the gathering of information.

bv7
2/12/13

This search engine is even more private than www.ixquick.com...... It doesn't allow links to work in the webpage you visit that would be able to trace back to you.....

duckf
11/30/12

private search engine where does not record your IP while enhanced by google

ianm11
7/5/11

StartPage is an initiative by Ixquick.

StartPage works similar to Google. Go into your URL bar - type "startpage.com" and you can surf the internet like Google does. But - what's the difference between Google and StartPage? What makes StartPage better than other search engines?

Well StartPage.com picks up very similar results as to what Google would pick up. StartPage.com doesn't log your IP address and supports 256 bit SSL. A really cool part about StartPage.com is its proxy tool. For example - lets say you wanted to view the NASA website - enter NASA into the engine, then click "proxy". This will then take you into their site through a secure proxy server. However - bare in mind that it will disable Java.

When you use StartPage, we do not record your IP address, we do not record which browser you are using (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.), we do not record your computer platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.), and we do not record the words or phrases you searched for. However, once you leave StartPage, by clicking on a search result you can be seen, recorded, and tracked by all of the websites you visit, plus you can be seen and targeted by all of their advertising and marketing partners and affiliates. StartPage does offer a very useful tool to protect your privacy even when you leave our website. If you are performing a particularly private or sensitive search and you do not wish for your visit to a third-party website be tracked, you can use the StartPage Proxy (shown next to each search result). The Proxy allows you to visit third-party websites through StartPage without anyone, including the website and its advertising partners, seeing you. Our proxy service is unique, and the privacy protection it provides is not available through any other search engine.

By Damayanthi J.

To easily add StartPage as your homepage, please click on the "Set as Home" botton right underneath the search box, and follow the directions.

By Damayanthi J.

I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but I'm sure it has more to do with how Facebook integrations work than Startpage.

By Andrew C.

That's a good question. The short answer is: No. The color of links doesn't indicate your search activity is being stored somewhere Google can see it. It actually indicates that the link is saved in your browsing history (which is stored on your browser only). To test this theory, try searching (either on Google or Startpage) for a website that you've never searched before, but you visit all the time. If the URL is exactly the same, the link will be highlighted, because you've visited that link before. Startpage and Google don't necessarily know that, but your browser does.

By Andrew C.
Questions? Get answers from the StartPage staff and other customers.

StartPage?