Squirrel

Squirrel has a consumer rating of 4.7 stars from 1,298 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Squirrel also ranks 55th among Mortgages sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 97.9%
1,270

• I have received outstanding service from my Squirrel mortgage broker from the very first contact.
  • They made the whole process so easy and provided great assistance and information for first home buyers.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Squirrel?

“We were recommended Squirrel by a family member and...”

Paul A.
2/9/20

We were recommended Squirrel by a family member and they were fantastic. They made the whole process so easy and provided great assistance and information for first home buyers. I always recommend them to others when people ask how we went about the home buying process. Our broker was lovely and friendly and we greatly appreciated the follow up phone calls when our mortgage rates were up for review.

“Although she was a lovely person the service wasn't...”

Lily F.
2/3/19

Although she was a lovely person the service wasn't great. For example, she told us we could not get money we needed to finalise the contract from the bank which would have meant that we could not buy the house. When my lawyer got in contact with the bank, we realised that she'd only sent an email to the bank and didn't explain the situation which is why they automatically denied us. After my lawyer got in touch, we were able to get the money. Another example was when the contract was finalised, I later realised that she didn't explain the repayments process at all as the ASB customer Service worker explained things very simply and clearly to me. Additionally she'd confirmed to me that our repayments would be a specific value but when I noticed that the actual amount coming out of my account was different she said she would follow this up but then I never heard back. I think she was nice to speak to however I wouldn't use her again or recommend her to a friend.

Reviews (1,298)

mortgage broker (19) home buyers (6) mortgage advisor (5) great service (7) great communication (5) tyler dellow (3) estate agent (4) loan approval (3) great experience (8) mortgage process (3)
paula778
Paul A.
February 9th, 2020
stephaniey15
Stephanie Y.
January 2nd, 2020
Verified purchase
Not a bad experience. i never really understood the process until i went through other brokers as it was my first time.
anthonyr93
Anthony R.
February 1st, 2020
Verified purchase
Gentleman I worked with was great , communication and friendliness were second to none. There was a little issue with Kiwi bank and he was more than willing to rectify the issue to make it easier for us.
doreeng25
Doreen G.
January 11th, 2020
Verified purchase
we never used a broker before but htey made it so easy. Helped with all the challengers, Gave the best advice.
colleenn13
Colleen N.
April 1st, 2020
Verified purchase
It was the first time I've used a broker and it was just so easy. I'm a corporate banker, and leaving it to Paul is one of the best thing I've ever done. I was moving cities, and he just made it so easy, he arranged valuations, he even at one stage, talked to the agents - he just done everything! He was amazing!
karam59
Kara M.
January 24th, 2020
Verified purchase
Very Professional - always willing to go above and beyond to help with what was a difficult situation.
jayi12
Jay I.
January 3rd, 2020
Verified purchase
It was initially scary as we didn't know what to do but squirrel adviser helped me get what i was entitled to and im really thankful for that.
michellen106
Michelle N.
January 17th, 2020
Verified purchase
Lindsey was recommended to us by my brother and he was excellent. Very knowledgeable and efficient and easy going to deal with. We will be back to see him later this year.
lilial4
Lilia L.
Verified purchase
Was happy with the process, it was easy process. I was not happy about the rate as I thought it was to be signed off, it was not clearly advised.
timothyq5
Timothy Q.
July 26th, 2020
Verified purchase
I never give a 5/5 rating on anything, but I have to give a 5/5 rating. Extremely happy! Paul is very knowledgeable.
annas292
Anna S.
January 14th, 2019
Verified purchase
Our first experience was excellent in the lead-up, with great communication and support, but ended feeling very rushed, with us deciding on loans we didn't fully understand. The most recent experience we had involved great advice from a very skilled broker, Shaun, but became messy and time-consuming, mostly due to some bad timing, which seemed to cause a breakdown in communication between Squirrel and ANZ. We're very happy with the end result, but could have done without the added stress it took to get there.
divyak17
Divya K.
July 7th, 2019
Verified purchase
We had a smooth and pleasant experience with our mortgage adviser. Would definitely recommend their services to friends and family.
aidang21
Aidan G.
Verified purchase
It was really good. our advisor was really good and explained all of it really well for us to understand.
jasonb419
Jason B.
June 28th, 2017
Verified purchase
Overall it was pretty good, I did sometimes feel that we were being pushed towards one provider over another, but I guess that comes back to the adviser knowing without having to talk to the banks which ones are more suited. Just from a customer point of view though it'd be good to have all the info so you could be sure yourself that the one you're going with is the right one - and just to know why none of the other ones. Overall though what we ended up with was fantastic.
edgarm73
Edgar M.
July 26th, 2020
Verified purchase
Marilze was really good, genuine and empathetic. She got us the best deal that was out there on the market for us!
thomasc236
Thomas C.
Verified purchase
Lindsay was really responsive. We had never bought property in New Zealand and explained the terms and processes in a way that we understand.
monalizae
Monaliza E.
January 11th, 2020
Verified purchase
broker gave us good advice , was so professional and to the point. SO helpful and so responsive. Wouldn't own a house without our broker.
chloeu3
Chloe U.
March 12th, 2020
Verified purchase
Local knowledge that John had was great, he knew area and real estate agents well and the advice he provided was personalised and in depth
melissaa114
Melissa A.
Verified purchase
It was really good. The contact was really quick and the lady that i worked with explained everything for me as it was my first time.
guye12
Guy E.
January 3rd, 2020
Verified purchase
I don't remember the name of the broker but i thought she was fantastic. This Woman went above and beyond. She suggested things that made her life harder but made ours alot better.!!
seani8
Sean I.
Verified purchase
It was really good. Dealing with Ash was really good and took a lot of weight off our shoulders and was done quickly.
margaretk79
Margaret K.
January 31st, 2020
Verified purchase
I haven't had much interaction with squirrel but from what i have had , it has been really good and also informative.
rachelm208
Rachel M.
July 1st, 2016
Verified purchase
I felt like I had to tell my broker to do everything rather than him taking initiative and doing it himself. I only got the final rate I settled on because I made him go back to the bank. A broker should make the experience easier but I think I would have had an easier time just going straight to the bank.
nataliek56
Natalie K.
December 26th, 2019
Verified purchase
For first time buyers we felt totally in good hands , everything was easy and once we supplied information the process just flowed. Paul was incredible , he kept us informed and kept checking in. We were offered so much advice when buying.
devesha
Devesh A.
December 20th, 2019
Verified purchase
The communication between my husband squirrel has been amazing. Amazing experience. We call and ask questions and always get follow up calls to check in on us. Our mortgage broker has been amazing.

Questions? Get answers from the Squirrel staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Squirrel?

Have a question about Squirrel?