Review of SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha reviews

Tel: 4465867634

billh533
11/28/19
I have subscribed too SA for a few years through a number of authors. Those that I have found to be helpful I have continued to subscribe to. Some I have canceled after the 2 week free subscription time period. Even the few that I have canceled I have learned from. The comments to articles can be off thread. I agree with a few comments here that some of the comments are not appropriate and should not be allowed, but that would restrict freedom of speech. Political comments are not appropriate on a web site used for discussion of investments in stocks or bonds.

I do have a gripe about Seeking Alpha which is that they don't track their authors results. There are way too many authors for an investor to track their results, but Seeking Alpha should be able to rate an authors results. Supplying readership a specific percentage of results for each recommendation.

When I first started reading SA there were far more free articles about individual stocks than there are now. For what it's worth I think SA should establish rules about authors attempting to pump subscriptions. First and foremost authors that are releasing their articles for public consumption should be required to release them within a week of their release to subscribers, otherwise their information is out dated. Hope this review is helpful.
freds301
10/5/19
who post articles to generate new subs replacing lost subs who either blew up or lost their investing accounts following those recommendations, rinse, repeat. * Be warned all borrowing a page from TWTR SA allows/assists any subs salesman to block/delete any and all comments its authors don't approve of, all marketing like TWTR. And they have been deleting politically incorrect comments

As far as financial headlines SA relies on free alerts from Marketwatch, CNBC etc to report business news so you may read about those hours later after financial media's reported them or even not at all. They really just focus on promoting subscriptions salesmen now. That's their business model
billg228
9/29/19
I've been a paying user of this site for a little under a year. The site does a great job compiling the data and has useful comparison tools. You have to understand that there is going to be bias articles out there used to drive artificial growth. If the companies don't, "pay their dues", to these financial writers they will have negative things said about them. (The same thing happens with consumer reports). What I'm trying to get at is there are a bunch of reviews rating this site 1 or 2 stars due to this bias.

I'm perfectly willing to pay what I pay just for the way the data is compiled. It saves me an hour or so a week, definitely worth the price of admission.
christopherg343
9/24/19
MDR has been going through quite a bit lately and one of the authors decides to do a hitpiece on the stock in order to make money on the short.In the small print after the article it states that he has no position in the stock recently or in the near future. Its a flat out lie, I asked the author if he was shorting the stock 4 or 5 days prior on another article and he responded YES.( i included his response below, you can also find it on SA website)
They delete my comments because I disagreed with the author who is trying to short the MDR stock! @HENDRIK ALEX IS A JOKE,LOL!!!!

This is his comment:
Henrik Alex
Comments23296 | + Follow
Sure - took the chance on today's Lummus-related pop. Huge gain already.
As a trader, I will likely cover going into the weekend and take a new look at the stock next week.
helens310
8/27/19
I was once a paying member but got burned after following bad advice by a 'so called expert'... ever since, I run the name behind ANY stock rating I consider following through tipranks.com search engine and I strongly advise all of you to do the same before acting on online stock advice..
johna1420
8/25/19
If you try to make a comment they will delete it if the moderator doesn't think the same. I have had many many comments deleted for no real reason other than the moderators hate the USA and Trump. After responding to a person cursing up a storm and calling President Trump and the US every name in the book I respond with zero curse words, no personal attacks and a mild response. All my comments deleted and theirs remain. I've had it. Not going back.
donalds356
8/20/19
Have watched them publish nothing but lies on Justin Costello. A clerical error by a copywriter doesn't warrant full frontal attack of a company. They will be sued this time!!! Probably by the shareholder that lost money too!?!!
troya50
8/2/19
I made a lot of money doing the opposite of what a lot of these posters present but I can't get over the moderators "reviewing" comments and allow only the vicious left-wing ideology to be prevalent....
A lot of reasonable and respectable content but the purveyors made me so sick I deleted the app....
dinesht8
7/6/19
This website circulate misleading and unreliable information. Fake, false, regularly misleading site which rely on "outrage" using distorted headlines and dubious information in order to generate likes, shares, and profits
willd60
5/30/19
This site has cost me quite a bit of money. Here is a couple of examples. First there is Shopify (SHOP) that was given bad reviews form this site. I've had the stock and sold it and was thinking about getting back in. When I read some of the articles they had I decided not to get back in. It was a little over 200 at the time. So I did not get back in. It went up to 285. Another stock is Veeva Systems (VEEV). They had some negative articles about the stock and it made me think but I decided to stay with the stock. Today it went up almost 20 points. If I would have sold the stock I would have lost out on this move today. My advice is do not listen to what this site is telling you.
deec114
5/2/19
This site is the poorest site for market information and news that I have come across. I joined, and shortly thereafter was not able to post what were clearly respectful, yet factual disagreements with contributors........especially those of HDO, their number one service and biggest income stream, who cranks out "bate" to the tune of several times per week. Seeking alpha protects its income first and foremost:!! Fair debate on issues is entirely absent, and the HDO clearly appears to front run their recommendations. Spend your time and money elsewhere! BUYER BEWARE!!
thomasw436
3/18/19
Good articles, wide range of interesting and insightful people weighing in, with what I believe to be full disclosure as to their motivations.
I avoid using SA's 1 year history charts, as the time scale is way off, making it a headache to use.
Am I the first to turn this in?
rachell220
2/19/19
Useless information. plus if you disagree with an article they delete your comment. They published an article from a guy who hated gay people and used this to trash Enbridge..was some sort of religious values investor. The fact that they would give a platform to people like this is unreal.
johnd2254
2/16/19
The comments underneath stories reported in the news are absolutely horrific. The website is extremely toxic when interacting with other users. Everyone is always hurling an insult because someone doesn't have their same viewpoint rather than having a fact-based discussion to analyze a company or story in the news. There is supposed to be a code of conduct but the moderators of the site allow for the worst comments including racism and sexism.
bbt2
1/7/19
SA used to be much better but now the comments are highly censored and not posted in real time so unless your posts agree with the moderators reading it, they are simply deleted.

Pathetic at best and anything that isn't pro investing or positive is deleted most days.

Obama trashing is fine, but nothing negative about Trump period.

Even if you have proof that the economy or the middle class is losing ground, it simply will not be posted.

I found something better and you should too.
francoisef1
1/6/19
When I first started subscribing this site used to be more substantial. Now it is mostly filled with rubbish by people who don't even have real names ie. Calafia Beach Pundit, Acting Man, Ironman at Political Calculations. Hard to take seriously anymore....
victori8
1/5/19
They are nothing but snakeoil salesman, they force you to register if you are trying to read their free articles and after you register you get spammed with incessant offers. They charge over $300 for their premium service which is rubbish i don't know how they are still in business
samk183
12/14/18
They seem to just publish whatever opinions writers have. Not based on facts or real data. Laughable...
nevinb1
12/7/18
Readers should be aware that articles are often printed for the purpose of sending the stock up or down. Negative reviews of a company are often designed to send the price down by short sellers who make money by scaring you into believing that the share price will tank shortly.

A good case is the negative reviews of BPT done in a barrage fashion in the last few years, with Seeking Alpha contributors (with short selling aims) warning that it was a 'dividend trap' and going to be dissolved, designed to die, in 2018 and such. Well, these articles did have an immediate effect in 2015, inciting investors to unload their investment and inviting many unsophisticated investors to get into short selling. Well, after a while people began ignoring the doom and gloom reviews and the trust surged with the price of oil. From a low of about $15 in 2015 it is now at $28. Like many energy companies BPT is a straight play on the price of oil. When oil goes up it goes up, it goes up

And therein lies the problem with these sites be it Seeking Alpha, Motley Crew et al. Unless the authors have no stake and are trained investors, you are likely to lose and lose badly following the analysis and recommnedations
rayj57
11/30/18
SeekingAlpha moderators do not allow opposing views in the comments section. I tried to post a factual, on-point response to a comment from "Jason Cawley, Contributor" on article https://seekingalpha.com/article/4225631-bonds-yields-continue-mystify
but my comment was not allowed to see the light of day. I'm cancelling my membership and unsubscribing from their mails ASAP. Censorship will not be tolerated.
sd301
11/26/18
I am in my third year of subscribing to The REIT Forum on SA. Given the name, as you would expect, dividends are big part of the focus. It has been surprisingly accurate. I am a long time market investor, but admittedly not an expert. This is not a get rich quick site, in fact, it is pretty much the opposite, steady and conservative, which is why I like it. As the name implies it is all REITs, mReits, with a special emphasis on preferred reits. The chat room is real-time and with savvy investor commentary. The author answers questions rapidly in the chat room. If you are looking for stock tips to get rich quick then you are a fool, Motley or otherwise.
robertb29
11/15/18
I am a Seeking Alpha contributor. I wrote an article that they published as an "Editor's Pick." It took me months to research and write the article. They never paid me for it. I decided that I did not wish to make pennies an hour, so I never submitted another article. Their policy back then was to only pay when your account's payable reached $100 or more.

I recently received an email that if your account does not reach $100 within any given 12 month period, then they will claw back whatever amount they owe you. So, don't believe them when they say they will pay you. They won't. It is a scam.
iggie
11/7/18
Fake news with the aim to manipulate the market and trick small investors. Google please remove this site from your searches.
jf282
10/18/18
This site is garbage! Anyone can post an article and Alpha SELLS you this?
This has the most misleading articles available. It is a showcase of what you should IGNORE on the internet. I suspect it will be shuttered due to misrepresentation soon.
saic4
10/12/18
If you go to Seeking Alpha you will be bombarded with ads. What's more? They added a modal that asks you to register and that is impossible to block. If you do, the site becomes unusable and the developer purposefully made it extremely hard to get rid of the registration modal event along with the scrolljacking and other assorted tricks they use to make sure you never ever get rid of the registration modal unless you register. That wouldn't be an issue except if you do register, you get bombarded further with incredibly spammy emails, even if all you wanted was to read their articles in peace and give them clicks and ad revenue.

It's so underhanded and unethical in design that I worry whether the site is safe to use!

Seeking Alpha is infuriating and it doesn't help that they're often the first site that comes up when searching for news on business and the stock market. As far as I can tell they're run by a team of grey hat hucksters. Steer clear!

Tip for consumers: Don't

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They have placed everything from the past of value behind their own paywall ( to access their data base of all their past documents) and they now require a subscription (monthly or annually) to just access those. If the good specific writer(s) you have been following (and have learned to trust) have gotten tired of publishing their work for free access to everyone, most likely they have already split off from publishing free on the main site and now solicit their own subscriptions as in a regular investing newsletter for the individuals that have gotten used to following them via the formerly free site. This site back in 2014 and before used to be a goldmine for newly retired investors wanting to learn to run their own accounts. Most people who wish to do that do not want to pay someone to run it for them, or they would simply turn their accounts over to a professional advisor somewhere else. I refuse to subscribe, as I already have my account in order from what I have learned at SA in past years. Now they seem to be more interested in monetizing the site to make it into a a high-income money-making machine for themselves, and there is no warning to unwary investors that everything put out there is not planned to be there necessarily for the investor's benefit. With no warning to the unwary, there are certain "sell-siders" who write negative articles about certain funds or stocks just so they can cause the masses to sell, then they grab it right back at the bottom--their win, your loss. I no longer pay attention to anybody on that site that is hyping stocks or funds either up or down, and by now I know who are the ones I need to avoid from having watched their antics and modus operandi repeat itself over the last 5 years. Now I only use the site for news and to get ideas for further personal research.

By K M.

Please explain what you mean by illegal research!

By Arne S.

Questions? Get answers from the SeekingAlpha staff and other customers.

1 Photo for SeekingAlpha