Road Scholar

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Road Scholar has a consumer rating of 3.17 stars from 84 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Road Scholar most frequently mention fellow travelers. Road Scholar ranks 2nd among Student Travel sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 4 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 7.7%

• I booked a trip, paid in advance, and then without warning Road Scholar cancelled the trip.
  • After almost 2 months are requesting some remuneration, they finally offered a small credit toward another trip...
How would you rate Road Scholar?

“Outstanding Customer Service”

Cherie G.
1/29/20

Recently we were asked to change the dates of an upcoming trip to Croatia/Slovenia due to low enrollment. The Travel Change Team and Travel Arrangements Team quickly made the needed changes and kept us fully communicated via emails during this process. I was particularly impressed with the flight schedule which was customized to our requests. Thank you Road Scholar!

“Cancel for any reason insurance is no insurance”

linda h.
5/10/20

Don't buy. Road Scholar cancelled our trip, but refused to pay for our airline tickets, even though we had "cancel for any reason" Insurance. They claim that since they cancelled the program, they can also cancel the insurance. Note too, if you purchase and need to cancel, you don't get your money back, only a voucher for future travel.

trip (39) rs trip (3) 2 months (3)
cherieg22
January 29th, 2020

lindah1538
May 10th, 2020

Dear Linda,

Road Scholar initiated the suspension of your program due to COVID-19. Because your trip was suspended, the Trip Protection Plan, a plan created to cover fees should you cancel from the program, is automatically refunded. As for airfare, in light of the extraordinary circumstances, we have found that airlines have been waiving fees for their passengers, even if a policy is not posted on their website. With that in mind, we suggest that you contact your airline to have your penalties waived.

Road Scholar Trip cancellation insurance offers two-part protection. If you cancel your program for a covered reason, for example, a medical emergency, insurance refunds any penalties you incur and it is a refund, not a voucher.The Cancel for Any Reason benefit protects travelers if they cancel for reasons not covered by the plan, such as a family event. In that case a voucher is issued for future travel. It is a very good plan and covers travelers who cancel their trip for any reason.

Kirsten

colleenm329
December 14th, 2020

I must be a slow learner. After 27 Road Scholar trips, I went on a trip with Caravan for half the price. The food, hotels and activities were superior in every way. I also found the fellow tour members with Caravan were so much nicer than Road Scholar tour members. I have met over 500 people on my travels with Road Scholar and so many are snobbish and angry.

Dear Colleen,

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on the extraordinary value you get with our learning adventures. Part of our great value is that we include almost everything in the cost of our programs and don’t surprise you with any “extras”.

When you compare the price of our programs to what it costs to duplicate the experience on your own, you will agree we offer a remarkable value. Activities, lectures, guided field trips included in our program price translate to additional money out of your pocket when these arrangements are made independently.

We are sorry to hear of the experiences with other Road Scholar participants through your 26 adventures with us. We wish you the best on future adventures, wherever they may take you.

Road Scholar

kathleenm717
May 14th, 2020

I did the San Miguel Allende (SMA) trip and it was just okay. It started out bad when no one was at the airport to meet us at the time we were told to be there. The airport was about two hours from SMA so this was not a small issue. I finally called RS and the person showed up an hour late with the attitude of "I'm here now!" The lectures were old and canned from a US expat who screamed in a small room. I am hard of hearing and had to remove my hearing aides because of the pain caused by his large lecture room voice. I asked the tour director to ask him to moderate his voice and she said there was nothing she could do. Less than a third of the people went to the lectures because there was so little content. This was during the entire immigration and border detention problems! What a wonderful opportunity for current events. Why aren't lectures done by real locals - it would be so much better than hearing it from a US perspective. That is all we get at home. Essentially there was little education on what was billed as an educational tour. The tour director was very disorganized to the point of walking us a couple miles to the wrong restaurant and then walking us all back. It was very hard on the elderly participants. You were on your own if you had food allergies in spite of the fact that RS asks about this in advance and I also informed the tour director. She showed up at my table almost hysterical about 10 minutes after I was served something I was allergic to. Luckily my travel companion tasted it before I did and took my dish away. One local guide mentioned the plays he was in, and recited from them, ad nauseum, while we sat in the hot sun and learned almost nothing. RS could not even manage to send me a review form and finally just took my review over the phone. This was not what I had expected and it turns out others were very disappointed too as everyone was give a $200 credit toward a future trip. I will give them one more try and am hoping the tour is not cancelled due to COVID-19. I had heard such good things about RS. I was very disappointed.

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you for the thorough description of your experiences on the San Miguel de Allende trip. We pride ourselves on offering excellent educational content and fulfilling experiential experiences and we are disappointed when we learn that we have fallen short. We value customer feedback and use it to make immediate improvement to our programs. Thank you for enrolling in your second Road Scholar trip. We look forward to escorting you on a memorable adventure.

suem727
February 20th, 2021

I've been on 3 RS trips and have no complaints. I also see that some people are upset as the Covid crisis caused difficulties for them. I booked and paid for Beyond Band of Brothers and the went bankrupt and I doubt I will see a refund. I have accepted that and moved on. It wasn't their fault that this Covid thing affected their business as all tour programs are struggling. Again, once has to accept and move onward and upward. I look forward to a RS trip in 2022.

bigg10
July 20th, 2020

Booked a Safari Sept 2020 - Road Scholar could not tell me in July if they were going or not, flights not flying, 14 day quarantine in Kenya? Booked British Airways through Road Scholar $4,000 lost $1,700 on flight. They were no help "oops" can't help you. Rebooked Safari to 2021 for 6 people after everything was guaranteed I was sent letter that I was 2nd on waiting list. No wonder they are non profit - because of poor service they couldn't make a profit

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

We apologize for the enrollment error and the inconvenience it has caused you. The Road Scholar Travel Department is communicating with the airline and will be in touch with you soon about your airline booking fees. Your friends at Road Scholar.

pamelal310
May 20th, 2020

Our trip to Egypt was cut short by a week because of the Covid-19 situation. I had purchased trip insurance through Road Scholar for that trip. Obviously, it had to be cut short, but Road Scholar assured us that we would be reimbursed for the part of the trip we missed. That did not happen. They have sent me many requests for donations, and nothing about reimbursement. After almost 2 months are requesting some remuneration, they finally offered a small credit toward another trip... but it had to be by June 5th. Um... we are still in the middle of a pandemic, so that's not going to happen. They have not offered one penny of my money back even though I bought my insurance from them. Yes, they're an educational travel group... and boy! Did I get an education.

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

Dear Pamela, When the travel restrictions were announced and borders were closing, we worked around the clock to make sure that 731 participants who were attending programs in 25 countries were able to return home safely. Getting you and your fellow participants home was most important, so we spared no expense for your safety, securing airfare and even extra food and lodging for many at a considerable expense to Road Scholar. Insurance companies do not pay out for pandemics so once we got everyone home, we prorated missed program days and offered you and other participants whose programs were cut short by world events, a voucher to compensate for time missed. Since the program was in process, we paid out in full to our vendors. Any funds we were able to recoup were passed on to our participants in voucher form. The voucher is good for three years, it does not expire in June. We requested confirmation of our email by June 1st for record-keeping purposes. These are extraordinary times for Road Scholar and the travel industry in general and we are working hard to make the best decisions for our programs and our participants while preserving the future of our organization so that we can continue our mission of lifelong learning for many years to come. Sincerely, Road Scholar

elizabethn44
Elizabeth N.
December 5th, 2015

We've been looking for new places to travel to, but didn't really know where to begin. We heard of roadscholar and searched it out online. What a great service! I love that they take you to places and plan the trip for you, including fun physical activities as well as sightseeing and cultural learning adventures. We traveled with some great people on our trip to Scotland which made the whole vacation that much better. It was amazing and we can't wait to book our next trip!

annk196
February 19th, 2020

My first trip with Road Scholar 5 years ago was well run & the trip was as advertised. With the next trip taken 3 years ago the activity levels were changed after booking and there were a couple of service issues pre trip trying to get questions answered thru their call centre. I considering taking another trip with RS this fall and my experience with their customer service area has been long and painful. I asked that an issue be escalated to a supervisor for review - and after over a week & follow up calls from me still no response. I would not recommend the current RS.

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

Hello Ann, we endeavor to offer great customer service and apologize for the delay in responding to your issue. We are anxious to research the cause of the customer service delay. However, we do not have enough information to assist you. Please contact us here by private message and provide your full name and phone number so that we can inquire on your behalf. Best, Your Friends at Road Scholar

thomasp799
June 3rd, 2020

My wife and I were scheduled to take a Road Scholar trip departing on March 14 to Israel. This was the time Covid 19 was breaking out all over the world. Since my wife and I were of an age where medical authorities were warning against travel, we decided to cancel the trip on March 5. We thought by that time Road Scholar would have canceled the trip as there were clear indications that Israel was going to close its borders. When I spoke with RS, I was told because it was so close to the start of the trip I could expect no refund but that I had purchased Trip Insurance and should file a claim. We did this and after 6 weeks were told that their trip insurance did not cover Covid 19 but that RS would provide a credit for future travel and I would receive a letter confirming that within a week. Three weeks later after hearing nothing I called RS. I discovered that they did indeed cancel the trip as of the 9th of March and that all people still registered received a full refund but because I cancelled 4 days prior I could not receive a refund. I was told I would still get a credit for future travel and that would arrive shortly. It is now June 3 and I still have not heard anything from RS. While I realize Covid19 has been very difficult for travel companies, its now 3 months since I cancelled and I have not heard a word from RS. Frankly I am very disappointed given there reputation. If indeed I ever receive a credit (which at this point I not confident I will) I would be hesitant to use it given my experience with this booking. Buyer beware!

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

Dear Thomas, We deeply apologize for the delay. With further investigation it appears we did not receive information about your credit from the insurance company which is why it was not processed in our system. We have quickly remedied the situation by applying your credit onto your account for your full program amount. You will also be receiving an email today confirming the credit and can use this credit on any future Road Scholar program of your choice within the next three years. Sincerely, Road Scholar

ruthanned2
December 11th, 2019

My recent RS trip to Australia and New Zealand was great. Holland America provided comfortable amenities and our RS sponsored shore outings were filled with exciting adventures. Our team leader, Ngaire Douglas, shared her vast expertise with us and gave us wonderful insights into the history and culture of both countries. Ngaire offered options for our various levels of physical fitness so everyone could benefit from all the shore outings. This was my 14th RS trip and certainly near the top if not the top of my RS trips.

Ruthanne DeWolfe.
Evanston, Illinois

bb307
October 4th, 2019

A recent hiking trip with RS to the Canadian Rockies was a huge disappointment. First, people who could barely get on and off the bus were allowed on this trip. Ridiculous. Only 4 of us could go on daily hikes they called "motivated" or harder than the others -- all of which I considered easy to very moderate. The hiking pace was also crazy slow. The catalog/website descriptions of the trip were way off base. Simply not truthful.

The majority of meals were served in a windowless hotel conference room. Very mediocre food. Breakfasts were the worst. Restaurant meals for dinner were way better, but certainly not terrific restaurants I would go to again. A couple of us younger, energetic folk purposefully left the group on two evenings just to get away and have some time to chat and eat at GOOD restaurants.

RS is clearly not for people, like myself, looking for true rigorous activity with other happy, young at heart people. It was clear to me that RS attracts a much, much older crowd, which is fine, but that's false advertising in their materials. Their original name of ELDERhostel fits their group way better. Nothing wrong with being older, but it sure isn't fun being around grumpy, negative retired folk who have a very "old and tired" mentality. I won't be going on another RS trip. Lesson learned.

Hello B. B.,
We allow our participants to choose the pace of the program according to what they feel they can do. If you can give us more information on the program you attended we can look into what you mentioned about the activity level and meals too. We will look forward to hearing back from you via private message. Best, Your Friends at Road Scholar

joanw139
August 19th, 2019

I have enjoyed 6 intergenerational trips with Road School which each of my 3 grandchildren. I found the trips fun, and educational. On my recent trip I took my 10 year old grandson to the CA coast to see elephant seals, and go tide pooling. It also included falconry and we actually had a falcon land on our gloved arm! I cherish these trips and will probably take my youngest grandson on one next year!

tims603
October 22nd, 2019

We recently traveled to Madeira for a medium rated activity level trip. Our guide was fantastic, providing enthusiastic and knowledgable information about the natural features and flora of the region as well as sociological and political contexts of present day life on the island.

Unfortunately, my wife became ill the morning of our scheduled return flight to Lisbon, from where we were to make connections to fly home (U.S.). Our guide was extremely helpful and communicative regarding our circumstances, but the process he was instructed to use to support us in this situation was seriously flawed.

He gave us an 8 page Road Scholar instruction sheet outlining the process by which we would be covered for expenses of our delayed and rebooked travel. The process is administered by something called "On Call." It turns out that this outfit is the same as "Emergency Assistance Plus", a travel insurance company.

We were required to seek medical care and have the attending physician fill out FOUR of the pages (in English) with results of medical examination, including vital signs, blood test results and a medical diagnosis. One form was essentially an affidavit requiring the physician to assert that the patient was unfit to travel. All four required signatures, email and telephone contact numbers.

Our guide advised us to go to the local public hospital emergency room, which we did. The situation at the hospital was chaotic to the point of nightmarish. My wife on a gurney with an I. V. in a hallway with other patients, most of whom were in much more serious medical issues. We observed one poor soul not 5 feet away who suffered a seizure and was bleeding from his mouth, probably from biting his tongue. It took fully 5 minutes before any medical staff intervened and attempted to navigate his gurney through the maze of other beds in the hallway.

Needless to say, the likelihood of ever even being examined by a Dr., let alone having him fill out a 4 page form, was an impossibility. We left the facility and ultimately made our own arrangements for return travel to the U.S. at considerable $ expense to us.

Upon contacting "On Call" upon our return, their response was to again send us the Road Scholar 8 page form originally presented to us. It seems that it is necessary now to get a Portuguese doctor whom we never saw and who didn't examine my wife to my wife to provide 4 pages of information from our home in Colorado.

We admit to our naivety in going to a public hospital in a foreign country, but given that many Road Scholar trips take place abroad, the process they've contracted for through "On Call"/Emergency Assistance Plus is a joke. We were hung out to dry with zero returned communication for hours. The communication we received was useless at best, and if it weren't so insulting, it could be considered ironic.

Dear Tim,

We were so sorry to hear about the experience you and your wife had to endure and hope she is doing better. We include emergency assistance in the price of our programs for situations just like yours. We apologize the paperwork you were asked to complete seemed onerous, but when someone gets sick abroad, our emergency assistance provider requires as much information as possible so they are informed and able to provide the necessary help. Our primary concern in these situations is the health, safety and well-being of our participants. We’ll be in touch with you to discuss filing a claim for reimbursement of your travel expenses home. Again, we’re sorry to hear about the disappointing end to an otherwise positive Road Scholar experience and are glad you made it home safely.

edm584
March 15th, 2018

My wife and I participated in the Yosemite Valley program in September 2017. The tour was well organized and well staffed. The on site director "made the trains run on time" and the tour expert was in fact an EXPERT.
Meals were very good and on time.
I RECOMMEND this program to anyone who wants to tour a national park.

Tip for consumers:
Consider staying a few days after the end of the program. There is so much to see.

robertf626
August 23rd, 2019

It's been three months since my RS bike trip from Deggendorf to Vienna. The dust has settled, I've cleaned the mud from my clothes, and now I can evaluate the trip in a more objective manner.

I guess I should start by asking this question: would I do it again? I would love to say yes, but knowing what I know now the answer is a likely no.

I made my own travel arrangements and spent a few days in Munich and the immediate area before going to the Gasthaus in Deggendorf. That was all good. Bavaria is lovely and clean and the people are friendly and seem happy.

Upon arriving in Deggendorf I was told I must provide my own helmet. That was the first I'd heard about that. Seems I didn't get a vital information packet. This necessitated a frantic taxi ride into town (at my own expense) to a bike shop. Luckily I bought one and made it back in time for an orientation ride. After that things settled down and a nice meal was had an I got to meet my fellow travelers.

The bikes they provided aren't my style. They are heavy, slow, and the saddles are catch as catch can. Some good, some not. There was a lot of grumbling about the saddles. Mine on the other hand worked fine for me. Didn't make up for the helmet mess, but one has to move on.

The actual biking, the lovely scenery, the food and beer were all great. Our group leader was quite good at her job. She may have been one of the best things about IBT, the outfit that RS contracted for the cycling part of the trip.

The educational aspect was less interesting than I expected. Churches, cathedrals, monasteries, a concentration camp. What more can you say?

I had a couple of good evening adventures where I went out with a couple of people to hear music and stroll around. Drank too much beer.

But there's not much one can do about the weather. We had some dreadful, chilly rainstorms with strong headwinds. The last two days in Vienna were total washouts. But, to be fair, we had some glorious days as well. Some of the vistas and villages delightful. We all had a very good time and lots of laughs.

But, here's the rub. You can't choose your fellow travelers. Some of the personalities were right out of a Hunter S. Thompson story. Autistic New Yorkers. Cancer survivors frantically trying to pack it all in before the end comes. One domestic abuse survivor who was like a life force sucking vampire. Lovely woman, but eegads, could she drone on! A 95 old man who road an ebike and was a true miracle of nature. And then we had Canadians. Three couples. I have nothing bad to say about them. Very nice people.

Which brings me to my one, very subjective observation. You might think that after two weeks together one or two friendships might be formed. But no. That's not why they come on these trips. They come to get away from something, to be distracted, to have a long party. When it's over, it's over. The RS veterans all knew the score -- once we said goodbye there would be no emails, no follow-ups, no promises to stay in touch. I think it may have something to do with being over 60 and facing one's mortality. No time for that. Once I returned home and the reality dawned on me, I felt a bit sad. This was a shared experience, but then again it wasn't.

And that is why I won't do another RS trip. I'd rather go on a trip where there are some younger people with a different energy. It's too much money to shell out to return home depressed.

judithc129
August 14th, 2019

Excited to see Alaska... so excited about this trip! Catalog said "Moderate Pace". OK... good... means we are going to move our bodies. Well, what a disappointment to learn this certainly was not going to happen! Unfortunately not all travelers could even do a low paced activity... a real damper for those of us eager for actjvity. Shame on you Road Scholar for misleading us to think this would be such an adventure. Some people had difficulty getting on and off the buses... walking for some was difficult! Pretty unfair tactics. A couple meals were served in hot, windowless hotel conference rooms. Hotel in Anchorage was pretty horrible and not clean. Have diet restriction and on 2 occasions group leaders (2) had not taken this into consideration... and I don't think they really cared! One leader, I felt, could not wait until she returned home! In making my arrangements with Road Scholar I was asked on several occasions to get in touch with someone with my question... representatives for RD just didn't seem to have their information at hand... these were pretty basic questions. A very disappointing trip... too bad for RS... friends who travel were waiting for my critique... they won't be traveling with Road Scholar.

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

Hello Judith, we would like to speak with you regarding the program you attended to Alaska and your experience there. Please feel free to reach out to us at 877-634-1893. Best, Your Friends at Road Scholar

stevem942
June 8th, 2019

Alaska is a very interesting place and rich with opportunities to explore. RoadScholar leaves the organization to Holland America. It's a good setup for certain travelers, mainly OLD. I'm 71 and found it very frustrating. Flew 3000 miles and spent the first night and morning in a conference room with no windows. The food was very mediocre at the hotels they used but the worst disappointment was that this trip had been described as "active" which for RoadScholar must mean breathing because we have spent the entire week riding buses for hours on end plus an 8 hour train ride. Getting these geriatrics on and off the bus takes forever and Road Scholar seems to attract know-it-alls.
These trips are fine if sitting on your butt and looking out the window of a vehicle is the way you want to experience Alaska. I thought a hike might be nice. Not RoadScholar.
Don't get me started on the cruise.

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

Hi Steve, we appreciate your comments and hope that you will include them in your program evaluation. Best, Your Friends at Road Scholar

margaretk266
April 21st, 2020

Please read the Only reasons for cancel for any reasons with insurance.
I lost $1100 due to the COVID crisis. Road Scholar cancelled the trip and I lost all my airfare costs. Gratefully I did not have a lot prepaid to RS because I wasn't refunded my deposit.
I will NEVER book a trip with RS again. The insurance mentioned on their website is SO misleading.

Dear Margaret,

Unfortunately, there is not enough information available here to address your concerns, but if Road Scholar suspended your program and you did not initiate the cancellation, you are entitled to a refund of your deposit and we encourage you to contact us at 1 (800) 454-5768 and we'll be happy to review your options over the phone.

When the program is suspended, your insurance costs are also refunded. If you purchase independent airfare, we have found that airlines are waiving fees for their passengers, even if the policy is not posted on their website. If you haven't already done so, please contact your airline carrier and investigate their reimbursement policy.

lindab997
October 31st, 2018

Road Scholar switched hotels on us after we had booked their tour of Southern Spain. The reservationist assured us that "the hotel change would cause no extra walking" during our trip. NOT TRUE! As we walked by the Hotel Ingleterra, Seville, on at least 6 occasions -- and were still several blocks from our new hotel -- it was clear the reservationist was either ill-informed or lied to us. The hotel switch caused as least and extra 6-7 miles in Seville alone. Complaints to the president of Road Scholar have gone unanswered so I guess the reservationist isn't the real problem with this travel company.

Hello Linda,
Thank you for joining us on our program to Southern Spain in May. We apologize that the itinerary for this program included more walking than you had anticipated. The hotel was changed to the NH Plaza de Armas due to lack of availability in Hotel Inglaterra. We would be happy to have a conversation with you about the experience and any concerns you might have. We did reach out earlier in October to discuss your concerns and left a message without a response. Feel free to reach out to our Participant Satisfaction Team at 877-634-1893 during business hours Monday – Friday, 9am – 6pm (EST).
All the best,

march171
April 11th, 2018

My trip to Japan with Road Scholar would have been excellent but for the unusable wifi "provided" (or really, not provided) by the Daiwa Roynet Hotels in which Road Scholar placed us. I was completely unable to work with colleagues in my home office because the wifi was usually so slow as to be unusable. The guides for our trip were superlative, but I couldn't enjoy the trip because I could not fulfill my work commitments, and people had been depending on me. The Daiwa Roynet Hotels claim that they provide wifi, but it has been unusable for me, for my wife, and for many people on our trip. I consider their claim that they provide wifi to be a fraud, under California law, and it ruined my trip.

nancyb789
August 24th, 2019

I have traveled with Road Scholar, formerly called Elderhostel, since 1998. I have done 48 programs both in the U.S. and internationally. I can't say enough great things about traveling with Road Scholar. I have always been pleased with their staff, the group leaders and most of all my fellow travelers. I have attended solo, with friends and with my spouse. As a solo I have always felt welcomed and included. I am still in contact with many people that I have met on trips. The educational quality is very good. I enjoy programs that make me think. I have seen a number of negative comments about Road Scholar not refunding deposits. The penalties for cancelling or changing a program are CLEARLY spelled out on their website, when you register by telephone and once you have registered, they are on the confirmation sheet. It is necessary to have these penalties so that folks don't sign up for trips and not take them, preventing those of us who would like to go an opportunity to attend. Many of Road Scholar trips fill quickly and have waitlists. Almost all of the programs have reviews which can be read before signing up for a program. These are reviews by people who have taken the trip. Most of the programs have great reviews or list caveats for a trip. I have traveled with other tour operators but keep returning to Road Scholar for the educational components and the great travel companions. In recent years the hotels have been upgraded, meals have greatly improved and a lot of programs have a meal or two that are "on your own" to experience someplace special or to visit with friends. I really like this option. I have found that my fellow travelers are well-educated and well-traveled and are some of the most interesting people to travel and learn with AND they are FLEXIBLE. Occasionally itineraries have to change due to weather, absence of a speaker, etc. Most of the attendees are mature but in my experience very active. I have done 6 intergenerational programs with grandkids and the experience takes being with the younger generation to a new enjoyment level both for me and for them! Road Scholar is TOPS in my book.

gb193
August 31st, 2020

This is the worst tour company that you could possibly consider - if I could give them less than 1 Star I would - have you ever worked with someone that was so stupid that they made stupid look smart well Road $#*! fits the bill. They don't return calls - they don't return emails, they do nothing - I am out over $1,000 because they are incompetent - after many many many phone calls Brandy said she was just reviewing my complaint and was just going to call me to tell me that that did't do a thing and she would call me back after 2 months. But she played the death in the family card - that should give her what 2 weeks - ok what about the two months - if you were screwed out of $1,100.00 because Road Scholar booked your flights advised you to cancel because they was no way the Safari was going to happen. Then you get charged $1,100.00 for flights that were unable to fly. But that's my fault because Road Scholar told me to cancel flights before they were canceled. $#*!ING IDIOTS.

Road S. – Road Scholar Rep

We apologize for the experience and hope to find a solution for you. Please email us at contact@roadscholar.org with your information, so we can investigate further. Your Friends at Road Scholar.

robertm539
August 17th, 2017

Our trip to ST. Augustine was canceled after a few weeks. Did not want to take a later trip on account of price increases of already purchased airline tickets, insurance would not cover what i presumed it would. Road Scholar refunded the deposit and the insurance company refunded the full policy in a timely manner. WILL USE ROAD SCHOLAR AGAIN but will rethink about the insurance that i feel was overprice and what it doesn't cover.

lindaj88
Linda J.
January 19th, 2016

My husband and I used to travel all the time in our 40's and 50's. When he passed away 5 years ago I thought those days were over. A friend told me about Road Scholar and I looked into it. It's like a travel agent for older adults looking for an adventure for the body and mind. My close girlfriend and I did our first trip this past spring and we are hooked!

Yes, I took my granddaughter at 16 on a Road Scholar trip to Italy and we enjoyed a great time. So the following year I took her to Paris and once again we enjoyed a great trip. I am shocked by bad reviews when we had such a great educational time.

By Joan W.