2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
3.5 / 5

Road Scholar has a consumer rating of 4.58 stars from 2,302 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Road Scholar most frequently mention clear instructions, trip insurance and good information. Road Scholar ranks 1st among Student Travel sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 9 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 90.4%
2,004

• I booked a trip, paid in advance, and then without warning Road Scholar cancelled the trip.
  • After almost 2 months are requesting some remuneration, they finally offered a small credit toward another trip...
How would you rate Road Scholar?

“Outstanding Customer Service”

Cherie G.
1/29/20

Recently we were asked to change the dates of an upcoming trip to Croatia/Slovenia due to low enrollment. The Travel Change Team and Travel Arrangements Team quickly made the needed changes and kept us fully communicated via emails during this process. I was particularly impressed with the flight schedule which was customized to our requests. Thank you Road Scholar!

“Hold on to your wallet”

Bruce V.
5/27/21

Dishonest. Others have ranked Road Scholar as poorly as I have. My partner and I were initially placed on the waiting list for a trip to coastal Maine. To hold our place we needed to make a $200 deposit. Not being told that we were accepted for the trip, we made other arrangements. Only yesterday, when I phoned Road Scholar to cancel the reservations did I learn that we had been accepted for the trip. I was told they would notify me later of the change. But they forfeited the $200 with alacrity.

Reviews (2,302)

trip (39) rs trip (3) 2 months (3)
cherieg22
January 29th, 2020

suem727
February 20th, 2021

I've been on 3 RS trips and have no complaints. I also see that some people are upset as the Covid crisis caused difficulties for them. I booked and paid for Beyond Band of Brothers and the went bankrupt and I doubt I will see a refund. I have accepted that and moved on. It wasn't their fault that this Covid thing affected their business as all tour programs are struggling. Again, once has to accept and move onward and upward. I look forward to a RS trip in 2022.

margareta833
January 9th, 2022
Verified site experience

My husband and I discovered a trip that would complement a necessary road trip to Texas. Most other dates were already full, so I telephoned, but the office was of course closed on a Sunday evening.

When I tried the online enrollment, it was fast and easy! So we are assured our place. The necessary road trip is now something we will really enjoy!

jeanned187
January 19th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Easy to use, plus I love this program. Would like Mitchell as my program guide if he is available.

Convenient and fast, accurate information
January 4th, 2022
aj443
January 6th, 2022
Verified site experience

It was easy to click all the buttons. It's not perfect bc i don't understand some things and am waiting for someone to call me. But so far, really good.

marks4204
Verified site experience

Very easy to navigate. My husband is also "dairy free" and that apparently is not an option.

davidr4123
November 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

Very intuitive. No, "darn it, I missed seeing that" experience. I've tried to sign up for things online, much less important and expensive that were very confusing.

brianm2716
January 21st, 2022
Verified site experience

After I changed my password (don't know why I needed to do that since I've booked three prior trips through Road Scholar) things were wonderfully easy.

julies2049
January 1st, 2022
Verified site experience

Why not? But really - the write up and the ease of booking. This will be my first time traveling with Road Scholar

pamelag1132
January 16th, 2022
Verified site experience

I'd love to be able to select on a time period, for example, what trips in the US are available from Mar 1 to April 1. Doesn't seem like that's possible. Seems like have to enter more information, like where exactly I'd like to go in the US. If I could see what's available, I would let availability of trips be my guide. I'm currently opening each destination and checking the dates.

Thank you for the feedback!

We've created this handy how-to guide for searching our programs on our website: www.roadscholar.org/howtosearch. Our Search page has options to search by Destination, Date, Interest, Activity Level, Duration, and Price. To filter out sold out programs, be sure to enter dates in the Date Range field.
- If you click on USA in the Destinations box and enter the dates in the Date Range field, you'll find programs.
- Once you click on a program that interests you, please use the blue bar to navigate the program tabs: Overview, Dates & Prices, Itinerary & Map, Travel Information, Lodging & Meals, Review, and Discuss.

Please feel free to call us at 877-426-8056 or email us at contact@roadscholar.org if you have any questions or concerns.

alanr457
January 7th, 2022
Verified site experience

Very informative and easy to use. We have been reviewing many sites and the information provided helped make our final decision.

annies245
January 13th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Would be a 5, if could do something about length of " Response "time after Continue Buttons. If that's even possible

Love navigation by categorizing
December 28th, 2021
• Previous review
Like opp to sort and Explore by specific dates, cats,...
November 15th, 2021
• Previous review

Like opp to sort and Explore by specific dates, cats, interest, etc, then wishlist

virginiag651
January 22nd, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

The level of detain in descriptions per itinerary is extremely helpful in identifying which trip best matches my interest.

Easy choices from the keyboard, flexible and rapid...
November 13th, 2021
• Previous review

Easy choices from the keyboard, flexible and rapid display when changing my mind several times with options, clearly displayed print size and images, detailed itinerary explanations all made dreaming of a trip, and finally registering for one a pleasure.

sarahm2442
October 7th, 2021
Verified site experience

Once I was able to log into the site, it was user friendly. Excellent. Thank you.

johne1739
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I have become quite familiar with the web-site and like its design. The content is rich.

I am familiar with Road Scholar having taken 4 previous...
October 17th, 2021
• Previous review

I am familiar with Road Scholar having taken 4 previous trips. Thank you.

davidn1528
Verified site experience

Easy to use and it remembered my old info so I did not have to fill in much.

robertam267
December 27th, 2021
Verified site experience

I've found the website super user friendly. Love the wish list, the detailed information re: trip days, and ease of payment/insurance/food choice.

nancym2442
November 30th, 2021
Verified site experience

Thought I was including trip insurance with first page asking for credit card info but had to put it in again to pay separately. Confusing

Thank you for the feedback!

When enrolling on our website, first the enrollment is completed and then participants are taken to Aon Affinity's website to purchase the trip protection. When enrolling over the phone, this is all done at one time. Sorry for the confusion.

judithe104
January 5th, 2022
Verified site experience

It is easy to negotiate and offers so many options, instructions are clear (for older computer users!)

taniah60
December 6th, 2021
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Still has bad print outs -- not paginated well. Faster than usual. Search feature still needs a LOT OF WORK. If one uses "quotes" around a word in the search string, there should be no results without those terms. Rumor has it that there are plans to provide a "NOT" search so we can eliminate non-desirable trips (e.g. NO FAMILY NO CHILDREN). Can't get that done soon enough for me!

Thank you for the feedback!

We are very sorry to hear of any technical issues experienced with our website. We are constantly working to improve the website's functionality and speed. We appreciate your patience.

Search improvements
November 20th, 2021
• Previous review
Search engine not very exact
September 24th, 2021
kerstenm
October 12th, 2021
Verified site experience

I am not great at on line activity like booking travel/ navigating sites…therefore I have a lot of stop and go to achieve my goals…but I was successful. Thank you

sharonk1185
January 8th, 2022
Verified site experience

It was very easy to register and I appreciate the ease of applying for the trip insurance.

carols2402
November 13th, 2021
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I was too successful in booking online. I duplicate booked when I got confused by the second screen on insurance. It seemed like I was buying it twice. Fortunately, Melissa went to great lengths to straighten all of this out. I was very happy with the help Melissa gave me and I am now set for the trip. Thanks, Melissa.

Easy...
November 6th, 2021

Easy...

elizabethb2145
December 21st, 2021
Verified site experience

Have almost two years to prepare and know, with trip insurance, I will be covered if I find myself unable to attend in 2023.

charleyd25
December 16th, 2021
Verified site experience

So far, so good. It's my first time and the process has been user friendly and clear. Looking forward to more.

Yes, I took my granddaughter at 16 on a Road Scholar trip to Italy and we enjoyed a great time. So the following year I took her to Paris and once again we enjoyed a great trip. I am shocked by bad reviews when we had such a great educational time.

By Joan W.
See more answers (2)

Hello Bruce, Road Scholar has recently switched to online catalogs for the remainder of 2020. You can access these catalogs via our website at https://www.roadscholar.org/catalog-library/. We are hoping to return to mailed catalogs in 2021.

By Road S.,

Hello, Yes, If Road Scholar cancels a trip you are refunded for the program. You are not refunded for independent air travel you may have made. Sincerely, Road Scholar

By Road S.,

Hello Alex, Keep the Pace programs feature steady walking, standing and stair climbing throughout the course of the day. If your mom is active and enjoys walking, she should enjoy a Keep the Pace program. The program's daily itinerary can be found on the Road Scholar website. A note outlining the day's specific activity appears at the top of each day's daily itinerary. If Keep The Pace is too active, we also offer Ireland at a Slower Pace. Sincerely, Your Friends at Road Scholar

By Road S.,

My most memorable guided trips were with Road Scholar (e.g., Iditarod Dog Sled Race in Alaska; snorkeling, kayaking, hiking in Puerto Rico; Behind the Scenes at Disney World in Florida). But the worst were also with RS (possibly since it started contracting out trips to "providers"?). Unfortunately, I don't know who writes the information given to us participants: RS or the provider? And, if RS, does the provider get to approve it for factual accuracy? My suggestions: 1) check and double check the stated activity level for the RS trip, 2) look out for factual discrepancies in pre-trip written communications, 3) even be prepared to contact RS DURING YOUR TRIP with any egregious shocking appalling complaint, and 4) research other travel companies that might offer the same trip.

By ellen s.

Hello Robert, the sizes of all our trips varies quite a bit. If you can give us the program number or title we'd be glad to check and see how many participants can attend a certain program you'd like to attend. We are also available by email -- contact@roadscholar.org and by phone at 877-436-8056 during business hours Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm (EST). We hope to hear back from you soon!

By Road S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Road Scholar staff and other customers.

Road Scholar, the not-for-profit leader in educational travel since 1975, offers 6,500 educational tours in all 50 states and 150 countries.

Road S.
Typically responds within 9 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Road Scholar?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

4.6
Have a question about Road Scholar?