Review of Quora

Tel: +1 916-445-1254
privacy@quora.com

malq
11/2/17

I'm a liberal but I believe in free speech. Fact is, Quora wished two topics didn't exist - politics, and gender issues.

Ironically, I have run into problems as a liberal with moronic conservatives whining to the moderators about how I'm not respecting them, meaning all you have to do is whine like a crybaby to mommy Quora, and you stand a good chance of getting your opponent in a discussion warned and then banned.

As a liberal man, however, I also have issues with rabid feminism, and quora will ban you so fast as a man questioning any sort of female dominance, that there really is no point in staying there.

Even though I'm a committed liberal, mostly based on economic policy, Quora is the worst example of politically correct horse hockey gone wild, and I need to get away from there anyway. Don't ask any questions about general female behavior, because you'll get accused of 'being insincere' in your questioning, and yes, you can get banned for a week and then permanently just for that.

I hate what has happened to free speech in this country. I agree that people should be able to ask questions about black people being violent against whites, or the self-obsession of trans people, or women being selfish and money-grubbing, but apparently, none of those questions are allowed on Quora. I probably can't ask questions about whether Christians are maniacs, like all religious people either.

Free speech is free or not. Banning swearing or racist epithets, fine. But to not allow a REAL discussion of REAL issues when they claim to be the 'answer' website makes them worthless. They literally banned me for a week for being 'insincere' and not even quoting the questions I asked that got me banned. If that is tyranny, I don't know what is. It's like being tossed in a cell with no charges. Their advertisers should be boycotted. Clearly both sides of issues are annoyed with them, which is too bad, because they are good for answers that have nothing to do with actual opinion.

Unfortunately, the little fascista moderators make their website a source of extreme annoyance, and a place to not return.

jimb325
10/14/17

Quora is quickly going the way of CB radio. CB started as a useful tool, but before long the signal-to-noise ratio made it a waste of time. The infamous "Be nice, be respectful" rule is invoked without explanation. As noted by hundreds of reviews already submitted, the moderators have a heavy-handed and obvious liberal bias. Questions about whether the NRA should pay hospital bills for shooting victims are allowed, but questions about the causes of so many shootings in the inner cities are blocked as being racist. Questions such as "What's the stupidest thing you have ever seen an American do?" or "What are some proofs that Trump is a Nazi?" or "Since most country western fans are Republicans,....?" sail right on through the moderation process. When a question was asked about the best corrosive gas to use if you wanted to release it in a crowd, the Moderators didn't have any problem with that. I responded to a question "What's the best way to disable an American Forward Operating Base?" with a sharply worded reply about what kind of people deserve an answer about how to attack American forces, the original question was approved by the Moderators, but my answer discouraging other responses because of the help they give to terrorists was deemed by the Moderators to have violated the "Be nice, be respectful" rule. I have supplied several hundred answers, mostly in non-controversial aspects of engineering or technology. These take quite a while to prepare, but I often find that within a hour or two topics which receive seriously thought-out answers are dumped in favor of another "Is it true that physics is mostly math?" or "What is 2+2?" or "If a WWII German panzer battalion were equipped with modern tanks, how would they do against current armies?" types of questions. The political bias and disrespect for serious responders evident in Quora is rapidly turning this once-useful site into a modern day recreation of the phenomena which made CB radio useless.

michaelb585
9/28/17

If you have unique views that do not conform to the accepted norm, i suggest you keep on trucking because this site blatantly attacks professionals that may have a different point of view.

jamess29
9/11/17

If you are on the right of say... Karl Marx, quora will hate you. They will downvote and report your answers until the moderators get fed up and ban you. They may BS you by babbling about their policies but all you have to do is spend a few months there and you'll see. All it amounts to is a popularity contest for leftists. If you've ever been to junior high school you'll get that vibe very fast.

chrisc387
9/7/17

The site was great a few years ago, lots of interesting users who wrote posts that were educational. Yet, it seems to now be an Entertainment Tonight sub-site, taken over by groups of teens all intent on becoming most popular on the site, who have chased most decent other posters away. They show up and have thousands of instant followers in a week and simply have their groups upvote and downvote who posts in the topics they want to post in. Endless questions about who is popular and who are these popular teens. Even adults are falling to this level, posting selfies about socks and other nonsense. topics.

Hey--bet they make money though. The dumbing down of America continues.

miked273
8/15/17

It's almost like in every post there is a certain herd pushing a certain type of view and if it isn't popular then it just gets downvoted and "edited." Not only that, but any time there is a controversial subject, people (who may not even have experience in that area) speak as if you are an idiot. It's like they just wanna listen to themselves talk all day.

louisa101
8/2/17

At first I thought Quora was interesting, but then I got deluged with very childish, immature questions, VERY, VERY repetitive. (I found out that people get paid(?) to generate a trillion garbage questions.) Many questioners avoid searching for the same topic & existing answers--they want attention or $, and custom-written responses JUST for them. If you put in any links-to or quote from science-websites, they report you for "Spamming" & the answer gets hidden--the attention-seekers want responses more than quality information.
And due to the nature of the questions, shows that most of these immature folks don't have ANY human contact or experience. (Topics: love, romance, Bizarre or scary questions on What goes through the mind of the opposite sex, college life, human mentality, how humans operate, Shyness, Social Awkwardness, etc.) The questions and a lot of the answers say a lot about the writers: LOTS of self-obsession, isolation, catastrophizing, and especially fantasizing that they are "psychotic/sociopathic" like it's cool, asexual/gay/bi, incels & women-haters, suicidal threats, whatever. Many of the males have really nutty or scary attitudes towards females, and I fear for the women around them. And MOST of these immature folks will never seek help, or create or join a self-help group, or any other effort to make their lives better. QUORA: make it easier to flag repetitive questions, or flag Really Great Writers (to weed out the horrid or very immature or attention-seeking ones.) Make it easier to route all the thousands of "askers" needing mental health help to a centralized forum area with curated, quality help.

Tip for consumers: Some good info, once in a while VERY funny or entertaining answers which SHOULD BE flagable for some sort of positive reward , but a lot of very sloppy allowing of similiar topics, and HORDES of isolated, overly-sheltered kids with self-made Asperger's autism.

walterb59
7/10/17

This like so many sites is really run, not by its "moderators" but by the readers who are mostly liberal to leftist wing nuts.
Any question which is answered too accurately can be reported for any number of amorphous criteria, "collapsing' the answers (blocking them) and warning the too-candid writer that he will be banned.
It has the desired effect.

margon3
7/4/17

Quora says that you can delete profile etc.
Then when you try to Do that,
They run your computer around & around.
They LOCKED ME OUT OF MY PROFILE!
Now I REALLY CAN'T ACCESS
Settings Privacy or what ever rabbit hole the send you down.
Meanwhile they are still collecting all of my data pic & etc!!
Solution?

WATCH OUT
WARNING

ceed1
7/2/17

At first it was fun, but I've noticed some recurring themes. It seems like a place for trolls and full of negativity. Not to mention this strange obsession over China, India, and Mid East. I get harass for innocent answers and the trolls definitely gang up once they smell a target. I see enough drama on Facebook, don't need more from a crappy forum

darrenw37
6/13/17

Quora's community is a great place outside of politics to ask questions and get answers.

However, if you're looking for a variety in political opinion, you should avoid it. There's not much to say past the fact that there's a heavy liberal bias. Anti-GOP, anti-Trump comments get upvotes. Anti-Clinton, anti-Democratic comments get downvoted. Top comments in political questions are always pro-left, anti-right comments. Ask questions that incriminate or scold the left side of the aisle, and get a downplayed, or hostile answer -- not a straight answer. All Trump supporters are bigots, racists, and sexists. The educated supported Clinton. Bernie supporters are spoiled brats. Etc. Etc. Not a friendly place to be if you're a moderate or Conservative. When you ask them why Quora has a liberal bias, expect to get a loaded response that downplays the bias which ironically, exposes the bias.

Rarely will you find those who are actually "Liberal" and not radical leftists. When you do, it's a breath of fresh air, but extremely rare. I wouldn't recommend to those who identify as actually being Liberal either.

elixb
6/11/17

Yes, this is what this site is. Zionist propagandists are are pretty active on this site and why wouldn't they be. If anyone decided to believe just these propagandists, they would form a pretty distorted picture. Secondly, religion bashing on site is common and if someone was to see this site, It would seem more than half of the population is atheist in the world when it is not. Indian users are site are harassing people with all their illiterate mind. Ugly feminazis try to satisfy their ego by posting content which include comment such "I get harassed a lot" from whom I wouldn't take money to harass them.I mean I wouldn't even think so much about harassing them even if they gave me 1000$ dollar.I would even take 10 dollar to look at them for 1 minute.

deeb77
6/10/17

The previous comments made by these two users 100% align with my experience on Quora:

"Amanda S.

Bruce s.
You can be respectful & helpful with your answers at quora, but the moderators support the trolls & low life's & harass the good people that contribute worthwhile answers there"

Quora's number 1 problem is it's moderators. I think Quora is based in India, and I don't know if there's some sort of cultural disconnect. They apply their 'be nice be respectful' policy in the most arbitrary and inexplicable manner. They censor non-troll answers, while allowing trolls to gang-up on legitimate writers. I had 1.2 million views on Quora and I recently deleted my account. They're actually a lot of cool, respectable people on Quora. 99% of the support I received was from people like this. But Quora allows trolls to bully other people, and run the show.

I personally believe some of the trolls have relationships with the moderators, because the way they apply their policy makes no sense. And as long as they allow this dynamic, their website will never reach it's full potential. They'll end up with nothing but uninformative trolls & moderators at the rate their going.

dougs76
6/9/17

Yours had 600 thousand. I had half a million. Also I had outside of quora taking my ideas forward to the world.
Is quora simply a basement workshop and the higest and most prolific writers with many responses simply voided.

diegod23
6/7/17

Quora is actually a fun website, but their $#*!ing moderation is ruining my experience! I am moderately popular on Quora with over 600k answer views and around 230 followers. I get several answer requests. I like to read the feed.

But the $#*!ing Quora Moderation is ruining my experience! They are a bunch of $#*!ing communist $#*!s who suppress freedom of speech! They are biased towards liberals, and if you have a conservative viewpoint, your answer or comment can get collapsed. I post several comments and a number of answers criticizing Islam, mostly in response to the goddamn leftists who say the classic "it's a religion of peace" bull$#*!. I back up my arguments with proof and data, and I don't insult Muslims or anything. But despite this, Quora Moderation deletes my comments and collapses my answers about the subject! My only crime is that I criticize Islam! You can criticize ANY other religion and Quora Moderation doesn't give a $#*!. But criticize Islam and you risk Quora Moderation collapsing your comment/answer no matter how nice you try to be or how you back up our arguments. And when they collapse your content, Quora Moderation doesn't tell you exactly what you did wrong. They only say that you violated their goddamn holy BNBR policy. Seriously, I CANT $#*!ING STAND QUORA MODERATION ANYMORE! THEY HAVE EDIT BLOCKED ME TWICE NOW! Seriously, I live in constant fear of those $#*!S collapsing my content. I swear to God, one day those ball-less sons of $#*!es will $#*!ing ban me.

$#*! QUORA MODERATION! $#*!S! SONS OF $#*!ES! COMMUNISTS! SUPRESSORS OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I HOPE ONE DAY YOU $#*!ING $#*!S GET A TASTE OF YOUR OWN $#*!ING MEDICINE! $#*! YOU ALL!

If Quora were a country, it would be a liberal communist one where any conservative would get punished for his views! Without Quora Moderation, Quora would be a much better place!!!!

I repeat for the 100th time, $#*! QUORA MODERATION!!!

marvinm33
5/30/17

If you have a viewpoint that is other then liberal your answers will be scrutinized and you will be penalized.
I'm sure that quora is pressured by the radical left and I feel that they in effect quotas decision making process. In the past, I have attempted to answer some of the most juvenile questions with humor, levity, and sometimes with blunt truth regardless . I think the snow flakes pressure quora to stop speech that they do not agree with. Currently, I am suspended from posting answers on quora for one week. Frankly, I am getting tired of reading the complaints posted by frantic liberals, and namby pamby, and I will no w consider weather I should return to quora or not. Not a fair and balanced forum.

kldrklsk
5/28/17

The moderators are Indian and is very much anti-Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka. Facts and history are banned when it is against India.

There is no free speech with heavy censorship which is worst from China and Singapore. Quora is mainly for Indian nationlists to promote their agenda.

Uninstalled right away.

opheliar
5/19/17

Was enjoying this until the developers insisted that the user's actual names are displayed. At this point I uninstalled it. This is against all advice from law enforcement, cyber fraud and anti-trolling agencies. If you don't mind your name out there for third parties to research and troll then fine. But if you value your privacy, then don't sign up. It's an invitation to being trolled. I have no problem with a company having my real details to fulfil any cyber-laws, but I do object to my name being out there for any lowlife to latch onto!

fredd542
5/14/17

I had an account with Quora. They banned me. I asked for an explanation as to why, they ignored me. They have left my profile with a banner saying banned which is causing me great embarrassment. I have left private information in their site and they refuse to let me have access to my account to delete it and erase my data.

Do not get involved with Quora. Your data is not safe with them.

champakl
5/8/17

So quora seems to have gotten this:
Increase the user engagement by encouraging questions, even if they are trolls.
I had a lot of enthusiasm when I joined quora, then I realised there's some deity praising ritual that happens there, and then there are waste troll questions.

To think of an answer for a question takes up time, and quora moderators in their infinite wisdom delete them. Bummer!

In fact, a girl got racist, and when I opposed her, Brilliant Quora Moderators deleted my answer. I appealed but no action was taken. Next day, I saw again one of my answers collapsed. If this can happen to one of my answers, and comments, it can happen to my others answers as well. I don't have any time to write answers, only to be deleted. So I have deleted my account and I'm not going back to that hellhole.

Typical example of questions:
1. What does Mr. X think about Blue Blood on Quora? (X graces with an answer, and everyone goes stoned)
2. Is it okay to eat our own children as stews? Or, should they be only fried? (Some wise guy will come up with an explanation on how famine induces cannibalism and it's okay to have children as dinner).
3. How much is 2 + 1? Someone will solve it with multivariate probability and calculus with thermodynamics theory, and will receive 13 billion votes.
4. I wanted to crack IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) but got into MIT (Massachussets Institute of Technology). Should I join? (Someone will tell how IIT > MIT and why he should drop).
5. How is Modi different from Trump? or, Why does Trump have his daughter but not wife as first lady? (some Trump bashing)

Conclusion: Stay away from this murk.

Tip for consumers: Go there if you have nothing to do, and you want to believe quora can teach you, and stack exchange (and books, and wikipedia) can not.

vishnupradheepr
4/29/17

Quora moderation blocked me stating that I have multiple account provided I deleted my previous account long back. They blocked me without any prior information or details. This shows that, Quora doesn't have humanly respect for their users.

mr949
4/14/17

No free speech.
Heavy censorship - If you ever thought that Chinas internet censorship is bad you havent seen anything yet, try Quora.
There is no 'right answer' only biased answers which were projected by quora as 'right/truth'
Rude towards users, biased towards so called 'top writers'
Irrelevant answers that get popular because the writer has a strong social graph.
No place for criticism. Too much sensitivity.
Try Quora. Kiss freedom of speech good bye.

paulop8
4/12/17

The site is an question/answer site lets you edit questions for grammar and spelling. Only thing is if it is determined that you're editing of questions changes the meaning of the question you will be "temporarily blocked from editing". Who makes this determination? A person or a robot? Who knows? Sometimes Quora will mark a question for grammar, spelling and/or other mistakes, yet such questions don't always have any apparent errors.

Anyway, I tried to delete my account but it turns I can't even do that, since I signed in through Facebook. I would recommend Stack Exchange instead of this place.

amandas201
3/19/17

I finally decided to close my account recently as moderators do not respond and allow one upmanship where people group together and harass genuine writers. The number of complaints have been building up slowly. It is just a matter of time that Quora will become the new Nokia. It is slowly dying due to a thousand deaths. Ask 10 people and 5-6 will tell you frustrating stories. If anyone can come up with a better site and good GUI, contact me. I will fund a new Quora. Quora is also a copyright cesspit.. Quora writers frequently copy google images without any attribution and Quora allows it. Expect a massive lawsuit sometime against this website. Quora is the Backpage of copyright and plagiarism.

shrutig2
3/13/17

I have been Quora users since last 6 months, wrote around 610+ answers and one day they decided to ban my account without providing any reasons. I mean if any random person reports you, they don't have the decency to at least confirm the very same.

It's a waste of time. Because Quora moderation doesn't understand this that they are there because of the users. Once they stop using it, they won't be there.

42 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes, the questions about penis size and virginity seems to sponsor endless discussion!

By Michael G.

Because Quora is run by an amateur who may aspire to be Zuckeberg, yet is nowhere near as savvy.

By Sarah H.

I honestly feel and highly suspect from certain traits that Quora pays Google to be high on the rank and they get *buddy buddy* with the government. Quora is essentially too big to fail. We no longer have capitalism but now live under governmentism which Trump pledges to end but can he? Does he really mean what he says? That is the million $ question.

By Kyle H.

Agreed. Strange but true. The only place that requires full name when you already have an account where the username to use. Why? Just more of the old information collecting processes. Blatant disregard.

By Leo A.

No financial gain for Quora users as referenced to the Partners Program. Quora will drop you quickly if you challenge them on any moderation they made to your questions or answers. Too many rules too few incentives to write.

By Sam F.

No, it is obviously leftist but it does on occasion allow questions or replies for short periods of time that are obviously uncomfortable to the "politicaly correct" crowd in a useless attempt to appear unbiased.

By David N.

Resilience is when you can read Quora answers for about half an hour without puking. Joke's on you mate.

By Isaac K.

Because Google put Quora answers at the top of their search results when people search for a question they see the answer from Quora. Which is stupid because most answers on Quora aren't even correct lol. Idk why Google wants to promote that site, if they own it or they want to buy it and incorporate it into Google at some point. I think the site is awful and it should be shut down because it's just a propaganda site. You do not see Quora from any other search engine for example duckduckgo. But you see it in Google.

By Aare t.

as well as to discuss their sexual proclivities in anonymity.

By Michael G.

Questions? Get answers from the Quora staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Quora