Review of Quora

Tel: +1 916-445-1254
privacy@quora.com

kldrklsk
5/28/17

The moderators are Indian and is very much anti-Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka. Facts and history are banned when it is against India.

There is no free speech with heavy censorship which is worst from China and Singapore. Quora is mainly for Indian nationlists to promote their agenda.

Uninstalled right away.

opheliar
5/19/17

Was enjoying this until the developers insisted that the user's actual names are displayed. At this point I uninstalled it. This is against all advice from law enforcement, cyber fraud and anti-trolling agencies. If you don't mind your name out there for third parties to research and troll then fine. But if you value your privacy, then don't sign up. It's an invitation to being trolled. I have no problem with a company having my real details to fulfil any cyber-laws, but I do object to my name being out there for any lowlife to latch onto!

fredd542
5/14/17

I had an account with Quora. They banned me. I asked for an explanation as to why, they ignored me. They have left my profile with a banner saying banned which is causing me great embarrassment. I have left private information in their site and they refuse to let me have access to my account to delete it and erase my data.

Do not get involved with Quora. Your data is not safe with them.

champakl
5/8/17

So quora seems to have gotten this:
Increase the user engagement by encouraging questions, even if they are trolls.
I had a lot of enthusiasm when I joined quora, then I realised there's some deity praising ritual that happens there, and then there are waste troll questions.

To think of an answer for a question takes up time, and quora moderators in their infinite wisdom delete them. Bummer!

In fact, a girl got racist, and when I opposed her, Brilliant Quora Moderators deleted my answer. I appealed but no action was taken. Next day, I saw again one of my answers collapsed. If this can happen to one of my answers, and comments, it can happen to my others answers as well. I don't have any time to write answers, only to be deleted. So I have deleted my account and I'm not going back to that hellhole.

Typical example of questions:
1. What does Mr. X think about Blue Blood on Quora? (X graces with an answer, and everyone goes stoned)
2. Is it okay to eat our own children as stews? Or, should they be only fried? (Some wise guy will come up with an explanation on how famine induces cannibalism and it's okay to have children as dinner).
3. How much is 2 + 1? Someone will solve it with multivariate probability and calculus with thermodynamics theory, and will receive 13 billion votes.
4. I wanted to crack IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) but got into MIT (Massachussets Institute of Technology). Should I join? (Someone will tell how IIT > MIT and why he should drop).
5. How is Modi different from Trump? or, Why does Trump have his daughter but not wife as first lady? (some Trump bashing)

Conclusion: Stay away from this murk.

Tip for consumers: Go there if you have nothing to do, and you want to believe quora can teach you, and stack exchange (and books, and wikipedia) can not.

vishnupradheepr
4/29/17

Quora moderation blocked me stating that I have multiple account provided I deleted my previous account long back. They blocked me without any prior information or details. This shows that, Quora doesn't have humanly respect for their users.

mr949
4/14/17

No free speech.
Heavy censorship - If you ever thought that Chinas internet censorship is bad you havent seen anything yet, try Quora.
There is no 'right answer' only biased answers which were projected by quora as 'right/truth'
Rude towards users, biased towards so called 'top writers'
Irrelevant answers that get popular because the writer has a strong social graph.
No place for criticism. Too much sensitivity.
Try Quora. Kiss freedom of speech good bye.

paulop8
4/12/17

The site is an question/answer site lets you edit questions for grammar and spelling. Only thing is if it is determined that you're editing of questions changes the meaning of the question you will be "temporarily blocked from editing". Who makes this determination? A person or a robot? Who knows? Sometimes Quora will mark a question for grammar, spelling and/or other mistakes, yet such questions don't always have any apparent errors.

Anyway, I tried to delete my account but it turns I can't even do that, since I signed in through Facebook. I would recommend Stack Exchange instead of this place.

amandas201
3/19/17

I finally decided to close my account recently as moderators do not respond and allow one upmanship where people group together and harass genuine writers. The number of complaints have been building up slowly. It is just a matter of time that Quora will become the new Nokia. It is slowly dying due to a thousand deaths. Ask 10 people and 5-6 will tell you frustrating stories. If anyone can come up with a better site and good GUI, contact me. I will fund a new Quora. Quora is also a copyright cesspit.. Quora writers frequently copy google images without any attribution and Quora allows it. Expect a massive lawsuit sometime against this website. Quora is the Backpage of copyright and plagiarism.

shrutig2
3/13/17

I have been Quora users since last 6 months, wrote around 610+ answers and one day they decided to ban my account without providing any reasons. I mean if any random person reports you, they don't have the decency to at least confirm the very same.

It's a waste of time. Because Quora moderation doesn't understand this that they are there because of the users. Once they stop using it, they won't be there.

richardk113
3/9/17

I recently deleted my account after 3 years leaving behind over 3k answers and 3k followers. When I first joined it was a place where people could go to exchange ideas and information. Unfortunately, it morphed into an elitist popularity contest where people care more about reading other people's campfire stories about their personal lives and posting pictures of their cats.It's nothing more than a wordier version of Facebook. Worse yet, more and more questions along the lines of, "What does * insert popular Quoran's name here* think about "X"? Said Quoran would then answer and receive dozens of upvotes and comments remarking how insightful the individual is. It's sickening. The bottom line is, on Quora facts can't compete with fluff.

krishnam9
2/25/17

it is the worst site i have seen in my. life. earlier it used to give me good answers but now i just want to delete this site from the internet

billm189
2/21/17

I gave a one word answer and got banned from answering future questions??? The answer was "lazy" and apparently a "moderator" didn't like me calling Americans "lazy" so they barred me.

bruces93
2/18/17

You can be respectful & helpful with your answers at quora,but the moderators support the trolls & low life's & harass the good people that contribute worthwhile answers there.I got so sick of seeing this on a daily basis that I requested that they begin the process of deleting my quora account.Quora ask that you reconsider signing back up with them again In the future,but I wouldn't sign back up to Quora even If they offered me $1,000,000 to do so.

jdelawared
2/16/17

Reading both questions and answers on this website may have lowered my IQ. It's no wonder they try to strong arm you into signing up.

michelled114
2/11/17

Terribly biased for liberal thoughts and opinions. I am a middle of the road person and I was disgusted by the inaccurate information the liberal agenda was leaking

dfdfgsdfgdfgd
2/4/17

I joined and asked 3 normal questions. whoever is in control of the site blocked me from using the site. this site it totally bogus soft-question BS. i hope this site dies soon

seanl47
1/27/17

Liberals use this site to convince themselves that they're getting smarter, but reality shows schools, and colleges lower passing grades. Schools, and colleges also fix grades for certain individuals, and this leads heatherns to believe they're smart. They almost exclusively come to places like the quora to babble about why they're better than conservatives.

edwinf7
1/25/17

Might as well be in North Korea or China this site i would not recommend to anybody so as far as i am concerned stay away from these morons

davidp302
1/24/17

Quora CAN be an excellent resource for conducting research, exchanging ideas, and finding intelligent/ well thought out/ well written/ informative answers presenting different sides of major issues.

In THEORY, it is a wonderful forum for free speech and debate--giving everyone a voice to express their opinions and positions on a wide variety of issues, regardless of how good, bad, well/poorly thought out, taboo, or outright bizarre that opinion or position may be. That being the case, you will find questions and answers on a diverse array of issues ranging from the important to the unimportant.. the ridiculous to the sublime.. the intelligent/ well though out/ well written to the downright idiotic. So you have to do some sorting of your own--essentially, you have to take the good with the bad. This sorting thru to chaff to get to the wheat is easy to do and essentially impossible to eliminate in the context of the free and open exchange of ideas.

However, in PRACTICE, Quora falls far short of living up to its potential because of its apparent complete lack of protection against the personal biases of the people who review the questions and answers (and therefore decide if a certain question or answer will be allowed or removed). Because Quora provides almost no substantive information on it's posting rules or review process in general or it's decision-making process in specific situations (choosing instead to cite it's woefully ambiguously and generic "Be Nice, Be Respectful policy"), it is impossible to conclude whether 1) there is a general, institutional bias within Quora on issues in one direction or another, OR 2) proposed questions and answers are subject to the vagaries of happenstance, I.e. - which particular reviewer reviews your question on a particular day (and what his position is on the issue, what mood he's in, etc).

Because of this, as it stands today, Quora is generally like a poster boy for PC-ism at its worst. So, while it does have a lot to offer, Quora falls way short of its potential. Unfortunately, it's highest and best use is checking whether a particular question/ answer/ position/ argument/ etc is politically correct.

So, if you have a thought and need to gauge how politically correct it is, simply post it on Quora. The longer it stays up, the more PC it is. This is a shame.

suea33
1/23/17

I was very enthusiastic about Quora when I first signed up for it, being a 'refugee' from Yahoo Answers which has become a forum for the very young and, often, very stupid. By comparison Quora seemed to have attracted the more mature of us and I enjoyed many months of formulating (hopefully) good informative answers and sharing personal experiences which I hoped would be useful.

To my horror I then received a mail saying that a perfectly good, measured answer had been collapsed because it 'did not fully answer the question'. No protest or appeal possible! And that meant that all the rest of answers I had spent my time giving were vulnerable to the same fate.

No, no no Quora! That's not right! I'm out of there.

Seemingly, I may change my mind as they have allowed a 14 day cooling-off period before deleting my account, but my time spent on formulating answers is worth so much more than Quora give credence for, particularly when I note the number of banal questions that are posted, untroubled by Quora's intervention!

robertj195
1/22/17

This is a horrible company. Don't invest your time or money here... It'll be wasted on an agenda outside the interests of its content creators. It is very fascist-like, in that it doesn't offer any honest discussion outside their preconceived biases. It's a shame.

johns1581
1/2/17

Excellent Q&A site with many intelligent questions and answers. I like the site for this very reason, but I take issue when their almighty algorithm decides that one of my questions or answers need improvement. That should be the moderator's decision, NOT the program's.

It'd also be nice if there were more sorting options.

[Updated January 10, 2017]

reubeni3
1/1/17

I would avoid Quora like a disease.

I didn't sign up but got signed up automatically, Exited out when I realized what their site was doing and started getting spammed by junk messages. Their site is rigged up like it is bad malware. when I tried to unsubscribe it said I had to complete my registration process to do so.

I emailed an admin who was very polite and solved my problem for me (I am grateful for that), but any site that is so desperate for users it resorts to malware tactics is unprofessional and shouldn't be taken seriously. If they don't know what they are doing to that degree I would not trust them with any information.

It is not hard to make a friendly user experience, You have to put in an effort to make your website as bad as Quora is. All you need to do is be upfront and have any form of integrity / honesty.

jeffb183
12/14/16

Really? It's a blog that moderators collapse great answers, because they don't write a 4 page report on a question stating "do you like the police in your city?) That is dumb. If you put "yes, very much", not enough. The site wants you to use every big words in a four page report, on the subject. Utilizing every means possible to overkill a basic question, by using the biggest words possible to sound like a brilliant bull$#*!ter. It's very biased. Also, this is expected even if "how can I make my girls like me again? Mostly, you don't know if it's a boy, man, or girl. Which dictates your answer, wouldn't you think? There are some great writers there. But, there are some morons, who are high status, that can get away with the dumbest answers. It's a site that is extremely left wing. If you aren't looking for the best answers, but want to see a lot of people wielding huge words so they can get the illusion that they are gurus, go there. Narcissistic city. And the moderators, think they are the most important people in the world, with ten or twenty minions that they love. Quite disappointing.

stevenp83
11/6/16

I made an account at Quora to ask a simple question and almost immediately was accused by the staff of "hate speech."

My question was "Why is fat-shaming men more acceptable than fat-shaming women?"

Immediately, my question was altered, without my permission, to "Is it ever okay to fat-shame women?"

I was also "warned" that my question had "violated Quora's policy on being nice."

The site is a joke.

41 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes, the questions about penis size and virginity seems to sponsor endless discussion!

By Michael G.

Because Quora is run by an amateur who may aspire to be Zuckeberg, yet is nowhere near as savvy.

By Sarah H.

I honestly feel and highly suspect from certain traits that Quora pays Google to be high on the rank and they get *buddy buddy* with the government. Quora is essentially too big to fail. We no longer have capitalism but now live under governmentism which Trump pledges to end but can he? Does he really mean what he says? That is the million $ question.

By Kyle H.

Agreed. Strange but true. The only place that requires full name when you already have an account where the username to use. Why? Just more of the old information collecting processes. Blatant disregard.

By Leo A.

No financial gain for Quora users as referenced to the Partners Program. Quora will drop you quickly if you challenge them on any moderation they made to your questions or answers. Too many rules too few incentives to write.

By Sam F.

Resilience is when you can read Quora answers for about half an hour without puking. Joke's on you mate.

By Isaac K.

Because Google put Quora answers at the top of their search results when people search for a question they see the answer from Quora. Which is stupid because most answers on Quora aren't even correct lol. Idk why Google wants to promote that site, if they own it or they want to buy it and incorporate it into Google at some point. I think the site is awful and it should be shut down because it's just a propaganda site. You do not see Quora from any other search engine for example duckduckgo. But you see it in Google.

By Aare t.

as well as to discuss their sexual proclivities in anonymity.

By Michael G.

Questions? Get answers from the Quora staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Quora