Review of PortForward

PortForward reviews

Grants Pass, Oregon, United States

daniels794
3/13/19

Jason (I assume the same Jason that comments on here) really worked hard to get my ps4 working. I've been trying to get the mythical "nat type 2" for months and these guys finally figured it out. It seems some of the reviews here are from people who just don't understand. All I know is that for me I got the help I needed. Highly recommended.

Tip for consumers: Be patient!

petern131
3/12/19

They guarantee to open your ports or your money back, this is furthest from the truth, it is a deception and waste of money.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
We will work with you until your ports are forwarded, and if we can't forward your ports we will give you your money back. There's no deception here, we literally forward ports for 100's of people daily. I'm sorry that you are unhappy with our service. Shoot me an email with your username and I'll make sure you get taken care of. jason at portforward dot com.
coling47
11/9/18

This site is likely to work for you if you have a simple set-up (just a router) and relatively uncomplicated end objective such as gaming. Anything more than that and you'll be lucky to get what you want. I spent weeks trying to access my security cameras via the web with no result. A waste of money for me.and of course, no refund.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Two router's definitely complicates things. In this type of setup we usually try to put the 2nd (inside) router in the DMZ of the first (outside) router. Then we setup port forwards in the 2nd router to your device. Of course this takes a while to figure out remotely, but it does work in the end.

A much better solution is to figure out why you have 2 routers in the first place and properly get rid of one. Two router's on a home network is the source of many problems for many people.
dinol11
10/27/18

I received a new router from my ISP, only to find that it wasn't on their list. Though the downside was, that it took a few days for support to nut out the support for my router, but once it was done; the rest was easy. I do felt support did everything they could to get support for my router and they didn't give up. I felt the price tag was hefty from my end (I live in Australia and the conversion sucked), the product did what was needed to do.

darrellm71
10/25/18

So they don't respond to any messages, because the program doesn't work. Your slick ads promise something that it clearly can't deliver. As I said in the title, a waste of time and money!

brianc441
8/3/18

Nothing works as it is said to work on this software.The support is painfully slow considering their advertising hype of 100% claims. I get one message back from them a day with questions but I have yet to see one answer as to whether the software can and will work. Had to get Paypal involved to try to get a refund or a solution

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
I'm sorry that our support was not fast enough for you, and I'm sorry that you felt like you had to involve Paypal in the process.

Your very first message to our support system was 2018-07-31, and you filed a dispute with Paypal the very next day on 2018-08-01. Even after you filed a dispute against us Allen tried to help you.

Allen has sent you the following messages:
2018-08-01 - 2 messages
2018-08-02 - 2 messages
2018-08-03 - 1 message
2018-08-04 - 1 message

And continues to attempt to solve your problem to this day, which happens to be a Sunday. Maybe it's just me but I think we have done an excellent job of attempting to support you, even though you have attempted to make it very difficult for us.
stephaniel194
6/25/18

The service was probably the best service I've ever gotten from an online program! They helped me so much! I would recommend this to anyone who isn't very good with computers/port forwarding! Amazing!

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Thanks Stephanie, we're glad you got it working!
tomc372
6/24/18

I needed to try potential solutions for using a static IP address for database access. Although I ended up not using this product, the support answered all my questions and helped me determine if their product was a good fit for me or not. In the end we decided it wasn't and they refunded my money no problem.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Thanks for the kind words Tom.
roberto400
6/20/18

Yours is the first phantom company I have ever come across and do not deal with phantoms or ghosts that advertises an easy to use port forwarding program that is not ready for the real world . Only 3 people, no phone number or address. Because of disappointing performance with your product, I expect the rest of my money back so I can use it on a real company instead if a phantom. I will continue to complain publicly until I get the refund I am demanding. Your long explanation did nothing to move me because you appear to be a fly by night company and are not up to the required tasks in the real world to deal with your clients efficiently.

Tip for consumers: A phantom ghost company without resources to deal with customers by phone or mail. They do have a lot of excuses though.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Hey Robert, I'm sorry that you got double billed and I'm glad that we were able to refund you. We allow people to make 2 purchases / day because some customers have needed to purchase 2 copies / day for them selves and others. In your case that rule allowed you to accidentally click the "Buy" button twice. In any case, we always refund accidental double purchases as long as you let us know within 90 days (the limit for processing refunds with our CC processor. In addition we are thinking about making our cart only allow a single purchase per day because the reality is MOST customers do only want 1 copy / day.

We don't have a phone number because there is just the 3 of us doing support and we get so many calls from people wanting free support that we simply can't handle the workload. We have a very popular site and less than 99.9% of our site traffic actually makes a purchase, yet most of them want their problem solved. When we had a public number it rang non-stop. There are not enough hours in the day to offer phone support for a $40 product. That's why we have the message system. Besides, supporting your network over the phone is pointless. We need to know things that you will have a hard time answering. That's why we have the ticket number system. A support ticket includes things like your network map, router IP address, hops to the internet... all the good stuff that allow to figure out why your port forward is not working.

For most customers it's not hard to get it working, but for a few it's really, really hard to figure out why your network is not doing what we expect. We can usually figure it out and get your ports forwarded. In order to break even we have to get it working in 2.5 hours or less ($40 at $15 / hour). We spend more than that on many of our customers because in the end that time spent is time making our software better.

I don't like being called a scam because I literally dedicate my life to this website. This is all that I do. This is all that Dave does. And we are very, very proud of our website and the guides and software that we offer.
deanb110
4/11/18

I purchased PFConfig and ran into a little trouble trying to configure it to work for my router but I was in very good capable hands with the support help team. They were prompt to act with simple instructions and if I found it hard to comprehend they were there to do it for me. It's nice to use a programme that's backed by a dedicated team giving you 110% support that care about each customer using there software They are very polite and genuine. I would not go anywhere else for a product like this that not only is fantastic and simple to use but offers the best team behind it backing you all the way. Thank you

daisyf10
12/24/17

Jason was really great to work with. I have an 8 camera setup on my from Costco installed on my vacation home and I couldn't figure out how to access it from my main home. After some fiddling around with remote access Jason was able to get me viewing the cameras just fine.

I'm not sure why there are bad reviews on here. I think some people are just not happy if they don't get instant gratification. I haven't had customer support like this in a long time so my thanks go out to the port forward team.

tedg26
12/21/17

I've been trying for a while to get my Xbox One to get open nat. It turns out I had 2 routers and didn't know it, but the support guys tedie and allen figured it out. Once they got that little nugget sorted out it was a snap. Thanks for sticking with me guys, it was a real learning experience.

davem252
12/20/17

I saw their 100% guarantee and figured what is there to lose? $39.95 to be exact. There guarantee is disclaimed in their fine print. - "All sales are final". Do yourself a favor and avoid this scam.

johnr571
12/4/17

While I had hoped this program would be a quick fix for my port forward issue, it wasnt. Since I paid for it I gave Support a try. I was told the program didnt recognize my router even after I picked it from the list of supported routers in the program. Next I was told they would add Support for my router if I used there tools in the program to help with that. Step one send router screen captures of all screens in the router config. Days went by and Im told the router is more difficult than expected. Next step was an option to use the PFConfig tool to allow remote login for support to test the router. After setting this up and after days go by I get a message they are still waiting for screen captures? I reminded them we had moved to PFConfig tool and was told my problem would be solved soon. I dont know if this program works but Support does not.

John R

campingl
10/4/17

I have a LIVEBOX PRO v3 SG91150636 (from France Telecom / Orange). It seems to be "customised" so that even the language cannot be amended from French to English.
The Guys at PORTFORWARD COM were fantastic and got this running successfully. Security cameras now visible off site using Blue Iris.

J'ai un LIVEBOX PRO v3 SG91150636 (de France Télécom / Orange). Il semble être «personnalisé» de sorte que même la langue ne puisse pas être modifiée du français vers l'anglais.
The Guys at PORTFORWARD COM était fantastique et a couru avec succès. Les caméras de sécurité sont maintenant visibles hors site à l'aide de BLUE IRIS.

jimd158
9/18/17

I've been trying to get my security cameras setup for weeks with no success. I need to access them from home, but they are at work behind my router. There's no way to get around the router without a port forward, but I just couldn't figure out the right settings. Jason was able to figure it out and connect me to all 3 cameras. I'm blown away at the amount of time he spent on my setup and his dedication to getting it to work.

blainec9
9/15/17

I wanted to play Call of Duty with my friends but I kept getting booted out of the lobby. Someone suggested this software and I tried it and it worked. All I had to do was forward Xbox One and I was able to join the game.

andys58
9/15/17

This software is the reason why you should always read reviews before you purchase anything and it has cost me $39 for not sticking to my normal practice of checking a company before I buy something and sticking mainly to the bigger brand names from a trust perspective.

People, including myself buy this software for a quick fix. It is often for a common techie problem or something that we are struggling to fix quickly. For me it was the need to quickly login to my modem, having not done so before and not knowing the manufacturer default login and also, more importantly for port forwarding.

This software failed miserably on both counts. In fact it took several attempts for it to even stop telling me that I was in trial after entering the full version key several times. About the only thing that worked on this was the static IP address which in itself ended up in my having to completely go back to default factory settings as it cut me off the internet entirely.

The Forward Port to Computer feature is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. It does absolutely nothing and does not have my very common model of modem TP LINK added to its list.

Find password is nothing but a common admin v password login defaults for the common manufacturers and if you are living outside the EU or USA the chances of it finding this for you are remote.

Router login makes a suggestion but then returns a dead url for you to change your router settings. Really? The Port Finder feature tells me to close the application of the game that I am in before it can work ~ I am not in any game.

I doubt very much that I will get a refund for this useless software that I have spent more time trying to get to work than the original problem. If for some strange reason I do I promise I will come back here and at least let you all know that they repaid me. You might be waiting a lot time!

Update: Actually they did get back to me very quickly after this review and have refunded my original payment along with an explanation that they are a small hard working company striving to get things right and working all hours to improve things. Good Luck.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Hey Andy,

I recognize that your experience was bad and I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. I'm the programmer for all of these products so I take everyone's feedback to heart.

The software absolutely DOES provide a quick fix if your router's firmware is supported. We support 4,000 router firmwares and we add more every single day by working with customers just like you. We cannot add firmware instantly, it takes us time, sometimes a couple of days because we have to tear apart the router's HTML and Javascript (remotely, I might add) and then add commands to the software to handle it. As routers get more and more complicated it gets harder and harder to "get around" the crazy JS that we find in them. Any way, if your router is supported then you fire up PFConfig, click Update router, and it puts the entries in exactly as advertised. If your router is not supported then we do our best to add support.

Find Password does indeed check all known versions of admin vs password, but it also does so much more as well. It allows you to test various guesses based on rules that you might have used to create your password. Like let's say you knew that your password was "cat" but you couldn't remember if you used "c@T" or "ca+" or any other combination. Router Password will try all of those crazy password combinations until it gets logged in. I have a testing bench of 100's of routers that I test the software on and it works on all of them. I have a few TP-Links and it works on them. Clearly it didn't work on yours. I'm happy to add support, but it will take some time.

Router Login loads your router's login screen. For you this may seem like a trivial task. For others opening up a command prompt, copying the correct IP address (gateway in IPConfig), and putting it in the address bar is challenging. I know this because I personally teach people how to do it all the time. We didn't write Router Login to disenfranchise you. We wrote Router Login because our customers asked for it. It was added to Network Utilities to make peoples lives easier.

This software is not front work for manual work. That wouldn't make money. The software MUST work for at most of our customers because just about 100% of our "require support" customers we end up upside down on. It takes just under 3 hours to cost $40 of support. We can easily burn 3 hours on a single customer, and we do it all the time.

I'm happy to refund your money. Send me an email: jason at portforward dot com.
harveyk20
8/25/17

This software is not a solution. It is a suggestion. You need to fight your way through a highly resistant defense against providing consumer service and then "work with" one of the techs to solve your issues. The software on its own is useless. I guess if you spend enough time, your issue might be resolved and you might feel grateful. It would be better if the software worked. It's a ripoff, in my opinion, or worse.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Hey Harvey,

I'm sorry that you feel ripped off. The software absolutely works, but apparently it didn't work for you. Keep in mind that we support well over 4,000 different routers. Add to that the fact that everyone's network is slightly different and you can imagine that there are times when it doesn't all come together. Does this mean that it's a ripoff? I don't think so.

As new routers come out we try to add support for them through the support ticket system and customers like you. If we were not able to forward your ports for you, either through the software or manually, then I'm more than happy to refund your money. We are not interested in defrauding anyone. Support costs money and when we fail to solve a port forwarding issue we lose money. That's just the way it goes.

If you'd like to talk to me more about this I'm available through email and on the support system. My name is jason, and my email is jason at portforward.com.
matthewu5
8/18/17

I went and bought the program cause it is an easy tool to optimize your online connection in video games and such. At first it didn't work for me but the tech support guy helped me find a solution when i basically gave up. He helped me optimize my two routers so that i can open any port that i need. He was kind and knew his way around the routers/modems. I suggest this program to anyone trying to open his port cause it is easy to get around the program and if you don't know how to, you get the support you need from the developer.

billh165
7/31/17

These guys really know what they are doing. It took some effort but we managed to pull it off. Thank you guys for working so hard with me on this. I've never gotten this good of support from an online business before.

georgeg133
7/29/17

Chances are as with me it will not work and you will not get a refund. In fact you will be lucky if they acknowledge you at all after they grab your money. For me it was costly and useless

nated10
7/24/17

Was having trouble getting ports open for my Xbox One, so I bought this program as it stated to be fast and easy. I've been talking to Tedie for more than a $#*!ing month. Fast and easy my ass, the staff have no $#*!ing idea what they're doing. Stay away from this and save yourself some money. Still waiting for refund.

francescog11
6/26/17

I got an amazing support from Allen and Jason! They helped me port forwarding my Xbox One. I suggest this program to all the people who can't play their videogames fluently.

Response from Jason B., PortForward Representative
Hey Francesco, I have not received any emails from you. I just checked my spam folder and they are not in there either. If you are trying to get ahold of me I'm not seeing it from my end. We have about 200 users with the first name of "Francesco" and I can't quite seem to track you down in the message system that way either. Please post a message in the message system and specifically ask for me, or try sending me an email again. I'll watch for your message.

- jason
chriso56
3/29/17

I can't say enough about Jason B. He rescued a pretty tough situation for me and never gave up. I had an older router that I was trying to get two cameras functional on and it took some time but viola - it's great and thanks to Jason. :-)

Start by running our Double Router Detector. If you have 2 routers then you are going to have to either forward both of them or turn on the DMZ in the one closest to the Net. After that you can try creating a fake port forward pointing at your PC. Use port 1000 TCP and point it at the IP address of your computer. Then use our Port Checker to see if port 1000 is open. This will test if your router has a firewall or if your ISP is blocking something.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Hey Beyond L., Generally speaking forwarding to multiple xbox ones using a single external IP address is impossible because they both require the same port. You should be able to forward to an xbox and a playstation at the same time with no problem. However, getting a port forward through a satellite ISP is not usually possible. You may want to contact your ISP and ask if they support incoming connections. Most do not, but it's possible that yours does. Further complicating things, while Mikrotik router's are amazing, they are quite possibly the most difficult router to work with. I used to have one myself when I had a wireless ISP and it took me quite a bit of work to get it to do what I wanted. Mikrotik router's are much closer to "real routers" than your standard home office stuff like DLink and Netgear, and as such they have some pretty advanced options. We have never been able to add PFConfig support for Mikrotik, but we have managed to setup some forwards manually in them.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Hey Leslie, I'm very sorry that you are having a hard time with our software and with our support. I will see what I can figure out. I do not want you to share your personal info on this site but I want to lookup your support queue and see what's happening. Please send me an email: jason at portforward dot com and I will figure out what's going on.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Hey Geo, you can download and run Network Utilities for free. The only thing that you can't do is actually forward a port with the PfConfig. You can launch PfConfig and see that it works on your computer, but it will not talk to your router. Many of our customers just want a single port forwarded so we can not offer any sort of trial in that respect. I know that there are plenty of negative reviews on here, but that is such a tiny sampling of our customer base. Mostly only unhappy customers take the time to write a review. The happy customers don't have any reason to. If you purchase Network Utilities and it does not work with your router then Allen will work with you to add support for your exact router model. If we can not make it work we'll refund your money. The only thing we ask is that if it does not work with your router please be patient while we figure it out. It can be difficult to troubleshoot someone's home network over the internet.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

I can not guarantee it because I don't fully know your network. If you have multiple routers (usually on accident, most people don't know it) or if you have cellular based internet then it may be more difficult if not impossible. The best first step is for you to download our software (free to download) and run the Router Detector (free to run) and see if it says you have 1 or 2 routers. If you have 1 router and you do not have cellular based internet then i'm 99% certain we'll be able to get a port forward setup and working which should fix your Wii. If our software can not do it then either Tedie or Allen can remote you and fix it manually.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Hey Rahmaan, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Do you mean how long does a port forward take to work, or how long does router login take, or how long does a static IP take? Can you be more specific.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Hey John, we've forward ports to many Synology NAS devices. I don't think that the version of DSM matters since you'll be forwarding to ports to a service that the NAS has open, such as web, ftp, or SMB. So that parts a yes. We support the Netcomm NF18ACV version NF18ACV.NC.AU-R6B015.EN and version NF18ACV.NC.AU-R6B016.EN, as well as about 50 other Netcomm routers such as the NF12, NF15ACV, and NF17ACV, so I can say with pretty high confidence that your router will be either supported or easy to add support for.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

They are the same license, you can use Network Utilities just fine.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

Forwarding to both consoles at the same time should not be a problem and is most likely unrelated to the double NAT messages. If the double NAT messages are coming from the consoles then you may not be double NAT'ed just single NAT. Consoles are not very good at detecting double NAT. If the double NAT messages are coming from our router detector then you definitely have a double NAT. If you are plugged directly into the ISP router then that's not usually the case. If you have a second router or WiFi access point that the consoles are connected to then that can be a problem.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative

I do not own a Combox, but from what I just read online it requires port 80 (Web, or HTTP) to be forwarded. Our software can certainly do that for you, and for the vast majority of our customers this works well. However, some ISP's block incoming connections requests on port 80, so your mileage may vary. Also, if your connection to the internet is over satellite or 4G (cellular) then you may not be able to connect in. If you have DSL or cable internet service then there is a very high likely hood that it will work fine. If you have problems then please contact our support through the message system. Generally we can get a port 80 forward up and working no problem, but everyone's network is different, and double routers are getting more and more troublesome to locate and navigate. Best of luck, and we're here to help if you need it.

By Jason B., PortForward Representative
Questions? Get answers from the PortForward staff and other customers.

3 Photos for PortForward