OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org has a consumer rating of 4.56 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. OpenOffice.org also ranks 3rd among Open Source sites.

• The best part is that the software they offer is comparable to Microsoft Office.
  • It is totally free, you can use Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint and it is totally compatible with other computers.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate OpenOffice.org?

“As all the reviews say..”

Justus B.
2/19/17

As all the reviews say - its a good free alternative for MS Office. I completely agree with that. Especially that comes in handy during some trips when due to some circumstanses you need a PC with Office isntalled, and for instance the hotel has onnly the PC (yup, I go on vacations gadget-free). I recommend!

“OMG”

Andrey L.
7/19/11

OMG. I had the most annoying experience with Open Office. I would give it one star if it costed anything. First off just from the look of it, it look very outdated, compare the newest one OpenOffice to Word 2010 and you'll know what I mean. I strongly recommend getting Microsoft Word 2010 or 2007 at least instead of OpenOffice. I know Word is around 100 dollars but I used OpenOffice and I bought Word b/c I disliked it so much. Microsoft = User FRIENDLY. OpenOffice = User ATTACKER

microsoft office (9) microsoft word (5) microsoft products (3) ms office (6)
justusb9
February 19th, 2017
marcelc21
April 13th, 2017
In my early days when I started in my business I've had to go by a limited budget and needed such type of tools. The Open Office suite has everything a small company might need in terms of office software and it does the job well.
pamelaf11
October 30th, 2015
Thank you Open Office for helping us express ourselves in a economical way. Plus you except donations. How does it get any better than that?
dg59
April 18th, 2016
Mostly happy with Office substitutes, but their macro system in Writer was too convoluted to be useful. Went back to WORD.
josephl89
June 7th, 2016
This is a great replacement for the MS office software and the best part is that it's free!
deepikag1
July 9th, 2015
I loved OpenOffice its Open source and get rid of any licenses..thanks to Open Office
mikes311
August 21st, 2015
Much better than microsoft products, takes a bit of getting used to. Keep up the great work!
waftt
January 3rd, 2016
Very good site for getting free software.
terrancew3
February 5th, 2015
djfemmiej
August 9th, 2016
ALSO YOU CAN SAVE DOCUMENTS AS A PFD VERY EASY AND HAS all the suites you will be happy with this also it is compatible with WINDOWS AND MAC. AN AWESOME PROGRAM A MUST HAVE. GET IT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
burtm19
April 15th, 2015
Does everything that MS Office used to ask money for. A fraction? Better make that free, what could be better?
kevint47
February 21st, 2016
To the life of me I cant figure why so many people are so diehard about microsoft products. That company has left all computer users subject to hackers, malwares, adwares, and system crashes for several decades.

Trying to use MS Office Suite is only as good as the operating system you have and computer you have to run them off of. Considering the nightmares that 4 out of the last 5 windows operating systems have been, thats scary.

Count them up: Vista bad, 7 great, 8 bad, 8.1 marginal but bad, 10 going fastly to the bad. That creates a problem. Especially since MS office suite auto links all your office suite items to your operating system files and guess what if some virus or malware gets into your machine....

you may be able to reinstall the system.....but your documents are all lost.Even if you try storing them on another drive or partition.....windows later may not recognize the access file in its system needed to find them and make them accessible all because they were referenced in your previous OS.

Open Office is the ONLY word product I use. I highly reccomend coupling it with a pdf product called FOXIT.

Freewares by college professors and tech teams have always been a great thing. Now they are abundant and reliable and pretty nice. I highly recommend this.
faunab
May 13th, 2015
I use MS office at work, but Open Office at home. When I need to move files in between them, I use google drive. It takes effort to save precious dollars.
colbertc
October 28th, 2015
The open office paper program is comfortable to use. On par with Microsoft word, i would say
demirm
September 29th, 2015
free and best office program developer
johnl196
February 11th, 2015
I prefer their software. Fewer upgrades to a great product. They are comparable with the top end softwares too.
adamp21
July 30th, 2013
Great software. Easy to use, perfect alternative to Microsoft Office. Best part, it's free.
byebyez
byebye z.
July 2nd, 2011
Not reviewing the site but the software:

In fact openoffice has it's own file format, but it can read Microsoft files and saves in both formats. Openoffice can also save as *.pdf file so can be read by everyone with acrobat reader. The only main difference, apart the price, is that the language in the macro functions is not exactly the same. So Excel macros can't be used "as is".

But it's a real working alternative to Microsoft Office. (Sorry Bill G.)
kathyh3
August 10th, 2011
Open source always gets my attention, and this is one of the best of them.

It's basically a completely FREE alternative to Microsoft Office. It does every single thing that Microsoft Office does, except it's free! Now, the best part....is that it will open and save to Microsoft Office formats, but you have to deliberately choose this.

Let's say someone sends you a .doc document, and you need to edit it. Just make sure you save it as .doc, (the default is odt) and then they will be able to open your altered document.

This is available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux, so everyone can use it!
sprklbuzb
December 26th, 2010
This site is absolutely amazing! When I purchased my new macbook, I really didn't want to spend the money to purchase Microsoft Office for Mac. My dad has a friend at work that told him about this program and it is absolutely amazing! It is totally free, you can use Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint and it is totally compatible with other computers. I have to do a lot of file sharing for online classes (I am a college student) and it works perfectly. Don't waste the money on Microsoft Word, openoffice.org is the exact same program at the perfect price... free!!
marions
February 22nd, 2010
It is hard to do better than free. OpenOffice.org offers a free office productivity suite that will meet the needs of at least 90% of computer users, and they do it for FREE! Download your free copy!
js16
January 16th, 2011
Excellent, reliable..have used it for years. Only the ignorant pay $$$$ for big-name products!
jesseg
June 6th, 2010
First let me start by saying I love anything free. Open office website overs you the ability to download their program and use it for free. The best part is that the software they offer is comparable to Microsoft Office. The program offers a word processor similar to word, a program like Excel, and a comparable power point software as well as some others.

The best part of all is you can save any open office project as the comparable office program. This is great if you have Microsoft office at work but not home. You can open a office file from home with the program work from it and save it as an office file. Great feature if you don't want to spend the money for Microsoft office.

I highly recommend you save some money and use this great program. The website will allow you to download it. Give it a try.
hughr
January 30th, 2011
I have used Open Office through 5 versions now, both for word processing and for spreadsheets. It has become better with each version and in virtually all instances is a complete substitute for Microsoft Word (and the related spreadsheet, etc etc software - OO is a full suite too). It is free to download, and I have run it under both Windows XP and under Linus OpenSuse with equal success. Unfortunately some people running older versions of Word can't open the standard Open Office ODF file if you send it in that format. There are two answers to that. One is that OO will always save a file in DOC format if you select that - end of problem. The second is that there are several download options for plug-ins which enable Word to read the file. An unexpected bonus of OO is that its ability to open files ranges across so many formats it can open files which Microsoft products don't open. Format and compatibility problems from OO 3.2 onwards are now rare. The main criticism of OO has been that it is a large download file and needs a general code "clean-up" to get it to run faster. OO 3.3 addresses that to some extent and there is more to come. Finally part of the OO team left to develop Libre Office, which is intended to be an enhanced, free, version of OO but with improvements. If you are running a standalone system this is vastly better than spending real money on Microsoft Word.

Questions? Get answers from the OpenOffice.org staff and other customers.

The official home page of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpenOffice.org?

Have a question about OpenOffice.org?