OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org has a consumer rating of 4.56 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. OpenOffice.org also ranks 3rd among Open Source sites.

• The best part is that the software they offer is comparable to Microsoft Office.
  • It is totally free, you can use Microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint and it is totally compatible with other computers.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate OpenOffice.org?

“Great alternative to MS Office”

Marcel C.
4/13/17

In my early days when I started in my business I've had to go by a limited budget and needed such type of tools. The Open Office suite has everything a small company might need in terms of office software and it does the job well.

“OMG”

Andrey L.
7/19/11

OMG. I had the most annoying experience with Open Office. I would give it one star if it costed anything. First off just from the look of it, it look very outdated, compare the newest one OpenOffice to Word 2010 and you'll know what I mean. I strongly recommend getting Microsoft Word 2010 or 2007 at least instead of OpenOffice. I know Word is around 100 dollars but I used OpenOffice and I bought Word b/c I disliked it so much. Microsoft = User FRIENDLY. OpenOffice = User ATTACKER

microsoft office (9) microsoft word (5) microsoft products (3) ms office (6)
marcelc21
April 13th, 2017
justusb9
February 19th, 2017
As all the reviews say - its a good free alternative for MS Office. I completely agree with that. Especially that comes in handy during some trips when due to some circumstanses you need a PC with Office isntalled, and for instance the hotel has onnly the PC (yup, I go on vacations gadget-free). I recommend!
djfemmiej
August 9th, 2016
ALSO YOU CAN SAVE DOCUMENTS AS A PFD VERY EASY AND HAS all the suites you will be happy with this also it is compatible with WINDOWS AND MAC. AN AWESOME PROGRAM A MUST HAVE. GET IT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
jacobf28
June 16th, 2016
I really like the fact that we have a free substitute for Microsoft Office. It can do many of the things that Microsoft Office can do, and -some may argue that- because of it's Shareware state, third-party programmers have come together to allow you to do even more. This makes it a really nice option for your office files.

Although the program is nice, there is one huge thing that has docked 2 stars from the shareware program: speed. It is the clunkiest, slowest thing that I have ever had to work with and I have a really fast computer!
josephl89
June 7th, 2016
This is a great replacement for the MS office software and the best part is that it's free!
dg59
April 18th, 2016
Mostly happy with Office substitutes, but their macro system in Writer was too convoluted to be useful. Went back to WORD.
donnap45
April 11th, 2016
We have used this program in between computers going down, it was great, otherwise we would of had to spend an extra 200 bucks. That's a lot of dollars for a small business. It was very handy, similar to most big budget word processing programs.
kevint47
February 21st, 2016
To the life of me I cant figure why so many people are so diehard about microsoft products. That company has left all computer users subject to hackers, malwares, adwares, and system crashes for several decades.

Trying to use MS Office Suite is only as good as the operating system you have and computer you have to run them off of. Considering the nightmares that 4 out of the last 5 windows operating systems have been, thats scary.

Count them up: Vista bad, 7 great, 8 bad, 8.1 marginal but bad, 10 going fastly to the bad. That creates a problem. Especially since MS office suite auto links all your office suite items to your operating system files and guess what if some virus or malware gets into your machine....

you may be able to reinstall the system.....but your documents are all lost.Even if you try storing them on another drive or partition.....windows later may not recognize the access file in its system needed to find them and make them accessible all because they were referenced in your previous OS.

Open Office is the ONLY word product I use. I highly reccomend coupling it with a pdf product called FOXIT.

Freewares by college professors and tech teams have always been a great thing. Now they are abundant and reliable and pretty nice. I highly recommend this.
jamesp199
January 12th, 2016
OpenOffice has been the free alternative to Microsoft Office suite for quite awhile now. Very Powerful Office tools at no cost whatsoever.
waftt
January 3rd, 2016
Very good site for getting free software.
pamelaf11
October 30th, 2015
Thank you Open Office for helping us express ourselves in a economical way. Plus you except donations. How does it get any better than that?
colbertc
October 28th, 2015
The open office paper program is comfortable to use. On par with Microsoft word, i would say
demirm
September 29th, 2015
free and best office program developer
bethr18
August 28th, 2015
Switched to Microsoft Office Word because it's better
mikes311
August 21st, 2015
Much better than microsoft products, takes a bit of getting used to. Keep up the great work!
nexusm
July 17th, 2015
I'm not sure why Open Office is unable to create a functional spell checker. Its spellchecker misses at least 75% of errors which are detected by simple browsers such as Firefox. This means I have to copy and paste entire documents into my browser to check for errors. Fix the errors in the browser, copy the corrected version, and paste it back into open office.

This product would easily get five stars if they fixed the spell checker. I would gladly donate or pay for the product in return. Open Office could charge at least $20 if they had a functional spell checker because it would be as good as MS Office at less than half the price.
deepikag1
July 9th, 2015
I loved OpenOffice its Open source and get rid of any licenses..thanks to Open Office
faunab
May 13th, 2015
I use MS office at work, but Open Office at home. When I need to move files in between them, I use google drive. It takes effort to save precious dollars.
dianad28
May 11th, 2015
Easy to use, perfect alternative to Microsoft Office. Best part, it's free.
burtm19
April 15th, 2015
Does everything that MS Office used to ask money for. A fraction? Better make that free, what could be better?
jessicaw44
March 9th, 2015
Not excellent but ok. 3 stars.
johnl196
February 11th, 2015
I prefer their software. Fewer upgrades to a great product. They are comparable with the top end softwares too.
terrancew3
February 5th, 2015
adamp21
July 30th, 2013
Great software. Easy to use, perfect alternative to Microsoft Office. Best part, it's free.
chrisj34
March 10th, 2013
Why are you paying a lot? You can freely download, and use Open Office. It is very user friendly.

Questions? Get answers from the OpenOffice.org staff and other customers.

The official home page of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpenOffice.org?

See reviews as you browse with our Safari extension

4.6
Have a question about OpenOffice.org?