Meals On Wheels

Meals On Wheels has a consumer rating of 1.73 stars from 26 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Meals On Wheels ranks 125th among Food Delivery sites.

How would you rate Meals On Wheels?

“The Only Charity You should Invest Your Hard Earned life Into.”

Brian D.
11/28/19

Do you really want to give to a worthy organization. Please give to Meals on wheels. I am 71 years old, my life would be torcher without this great organization that Truly helps people in need. Please be generous. I will thank you personally

“Need someone to oversee this program. This is on the edge of elderly abuse.”

Connie R.
10/17/20

Some of the meals were very good and nutritional with meat, vegetable, and fruit. Then it gets so bad the food is not edible. For example hot chilli powder and chilli peppers. Would you feed a child something like this! Or FROZEN boiled egg dried toast for dinner, or pumpkin in scrambled eggs, or worse sour milk in scrambled eggs, or ham and bean soup with lime. For barbecue chicken the sauce is Heinz 57. Yuk! I go to pick up my frozen meals the person that delivers to my vehicle doesn't wear a mask.

lisar1678
June 6th, 2021

My mother used meals on wheels while recuperating from a broken hip. After only 2 weeks she canceled the service. The meals were unacceptable. She was paying for a lump of disgusting meat not fit for a dog, green beans which turn rubbery when microwaved. The same meals each week. You need to do better for our elderly and disabled. You can buy a better meal off the dollar menu at McDonald's.

laurap44
January 1st, 2019

Review 1: the people who work there are fine and helpful. However, the volunteers who deliver are low quality people. Meals show up about 50 % of the time. Not good if you are dependent on this service. Today is New Years Day. No delivery arrived yesterday, so nothing to eat today. Tomorrow is Wednesday. THey don't deliver on Wednesday. Usually you get a frozen meal for Wednesday before Wednesday arrives. So, I guess I won't eat tomorrow either.
One day, someone came, rang my door bell once. I was in the livingroom about 8 feet from the door. I went to the door struggling because it is hard to walk. When I got to the door, she was at the end of the street about to turn. I tried to hail her to no avail. At least that was earlier in the day. I called senior plus. They were able to send a deliverer from next town over. They contacted my actual deliverer said "I'm done. I'm going home". Not impressed.
Review 2: I just upgraded the stars because I am impressed they deliver despite almost no resources. They say they give 30% daily requirement of protein. Not true. Not all meals have protein. 30% is not enough. I am always hungry. For a long time I had nothing to eat on weekends. That was hard. But now they are delivering frozen meals for me to eat on weekends.
Today my meal fell on the floor. None of it was rescued. So I will not eat today. They are doing what they can within resources available.

connier214
October 17th, 2020

yukid3
March 10th, 2021

The meal is ok at times, fruits can be damaged (see orange picture below) the people that deliver the food are sociable sometimes; but, if you ever have to talk to those that work at the location, good luck! They can certainly be replaced... Whenever they answer the phone, they make you feel like they are doing you a favor by answering the phone. Perhaps, they forget they have a job because of us...

dorothye128
May 10th, 2021

I really appreciate that people are willing to donate to a cause such as this and that there are so many wonderful volunteers, but have they tasted the food? My 95 year old mother was just writing "YUK" on the tops of the meals, so I tasted one, and oh my gosh it was the worst I have ever tasted. It seems so disrespectful to the elderly. In Sacramento CA the food is in plastic trays that the recipients are supposed to microwave. What is left after microwaving is 60% WATER. It just doesn't seem like it would cost any more to make a delicious meal than an inedible meal.And these are truly inedible.

Tip for consumers:
lobby to have food improved for our seniors who receive Meals On Wheels

Products used:
meals

jaquiem
September 27th, 2018

Really helped my granny a lot during some months she was on this service and during which time I could not run lunch over to her and Doordash was getting way too expensive. Some of the volunteers aren't very sunny or well-dispositioned, but the service itself was a god-send.

maryg1031
April 17th, 2020

Just got a call from Meals On Wheels I had made an application for my mom she is 83 yrs old and lives alone. Has limited ways of going to store can't cook for herself. Well they said they couldn't help her bc if any of her family is able to take her meals then they can't help. I told them really her neighbors caretaker is there with them all day and they get meals on wheels. Their daughter lives across the street also. My mom is alone all day and all night especially now my husband and I are 67 and we have a lot of underlying healt problems which drs don't want us taking chances of going out I have gone a couple of times to leave her meals on patio my mom has really serious heart problem and she fell not to long ago and can barely walk bc of her arthritis and I told them that and they did said sorry I bet if we were rich she would be helped. And I was go king y to o start donating money I don't think so I'll give to St Jude as have been and that's it

briand637
November 28th, 2019

Truly helps people in need. Please be generous.

I will thank you personally

brittanyh59
March 15th, 2018

What an amazing service that is provided to the community. However it- Needs more support, volunteers & finical backing. Please help support if you are at all able.

jennifern364
March 23rd, 2020

I have to pay for this?! These people claim to need donations yet they want to charge me, (senior on disability social security income only), over $6.00 per meal!

jamesl2075
February 4th, 2021

Sorry folks, but these meals are a bunch of slop. Don't get me wrong, the people are nice and they do deliver in a timely fashion but the food will make you sick.

shaddady
October 24th, 2020

Eating out the trash can was less disgusting then the garbage they give you everything about this organization needs to be investigated I been through hell and back from third world countries to prison and still have not seen anything that compares to these garbage meals they give you, the food is raw old and not packed right the box comes wet and leaking the garbage people that deliver throw the box against your door like your less than a animal I have a camera in front of my door and a bunch of pictures I took of the garbage they deliver I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of news channels

juliep70
June 18th, 2019

My mil is in her 80's and she has Dementia. The food that was delivered at 10:30 was to be the only meal. Let me explain it another way. If they are going to help the elderly, then do what you can to show some compassion not signs they should get food stamps. The elderly should consume as many calories as they can. The Meals On Wheels get this one meal they call "Between lunch and dinner." That meal should help them a lot. 836 calories is nothing. Great idea if they can put in as many calories as the drivers eat a day. Do not brag

amb4
September 23rd, 2020

I thought this would be a wonderful thing for my Mom who is 89 years old. She tried it for 2 days. She told me the delivery people were awesome but that the food was inedible. She showed me an orange that was kind of hard and was discolored. She had a sandwich and whatever lunch meat they had on it was actually grey in color. She describe her meatloaf meal as dried out and hard. It didn't even look like meatloaf. I then went on this sight to see what other peoples opinions were and when I saw pictures submitted of the food and the comments. I was horrified! You should be ashamed to serve this to our elderly and housebound citizens. It seems, for a lot of people, this is there only meal of the day. Someone, the director, Tom Milinger perhaps, should really look into why they are serving this quality of food and then patting themselves on the back.

Sincerely,
Amy Block

ramirog29
April 1st, 2021

Process food high sodium spoiled not fresh when I set up service I was asked what kind of meals I needed I told them no processed food low sodium they said not a problem what I received was high sodium processed food and spoiled food I canceled the same day I got a callback they were trying to convince me to stay with meals on wheels they also lie to me telling me that they had chefs and they were preparing fresh foods to order that's not true what I got was spoiled food that no human being should be eating. Government food that's no good. Chicago location

darcieb3
November 15th, 2019

It seems every location in every state has its problems but the one I find consistent is the quality. I have had many problems with how I'm treated by staff but not the volunteers. I'm afraid to even write this because of retaliation because it WILL happen. These meals are usually just a snack. The hamburger is too ugly to look at. I will only eat it when it is mixed in with other things i. E. sauce. The portion sizes wouldn't satisfy anyone. You can tell if the cook has been replaced or guidelines have changed... I guess. Either to spicy or bland. The cranberry smells like mold and I have to move the other food to a plate as I can't stand smelling it as I eat. If you get a salad their idea of a salad is... well... NOT a true salad or even again the portion size.
I'm thankful to have such an organization where I live. I look forward to most of the volunteers coming. I thank them everyday and even give a Christmas ornament and card every year. I wouldn't eat anything on most days with out this help. I do however cringe before looking at the meal. Sorry MOW but this is the truth

doriss35
February 3rd, 2018

It was suggested by my social worker that I call meals on wheels because I am a disabled Sr. And I had no way going to the store. The person I spoke to immediately and literally started interrogating me like I was a criminal. She was rude and condescending and told me I wasnt sick enough to qualify and that I should take the bus to the grocery. If you are black, unless you are on your deathbed don't bother calling this organization for help.

cherylb340
February 21st, 2019

I started to get meals on wheels, this food is terrible, i dont know how people can even eat it. Bread is hard, no flavor at all. Bratworst is fried on one side. Nothing good at all about it.its like would you serve this food to your family? NO

arlenej24
May 7th, 2019

Members of my family are eighth in line to receive services from Meals On Wheels. I told the lady from Meals on Wheels, Linda, how urgent their need is and all I got from her was, "That's too bad". Hope she experiences this situation, when she is a senior.

starb19
July 24th, 2019

Taste like dog food... i'm starving and cant eat it... better go out of business//taste like dog food

dj139
July 30th, 2019

On July, 30 2019 I had called Meals on Wheels to check the status of my application. I had used them last year but some circumstances came up and a few times I had forgotten to call and tell them that I won't be home. I didn't do it intentionally but understandable I was taken off but I reapplied and had to send in the form and called to get the status and the lady talked to me like she was really upset with me. I called her back and told her that everybody makes mistakes from time to time and that her attitude was uncalled for. I canceled my application because it's not right how so people think they can just treat and talk to seniors or people in need any kind of way. I just she has never made any mistakes.

zoee4
August 9th, 2017

The meals delivered where I live are mostly inedible. The canned fruit and veggies are usually alright. The pasta & rice is always seriously overcooked and served swimming in water. Any dish with chicken is always so overcooked it's like trying to eat particleboard. Impossible. The rest of the meals use hamburger which is always boiled until it's a flavorless much then spiced with a much to heavy dose of chili powder. Can you imagine spaghetti or lasagna with chili powder flavored meat? Yes, horrible. Lately the food delivered has been burned to a charcoal black. Not just one incident but often.
In the end I usually wind up eating the canned fruit, the salad if one comes with it and drinking the milk.

lindaf120
May 15th, 2017

They don't care about their volunteers or putting much too young children assisting, lol, volunteers with delivery at harm's way! Their DEFINITELY RACISTS AND WILL LIE IN A MINUTE! Wonder what their SALARY IS? MonWHEELS AND ALLLLLL OF THEIR ENTITIES ARE SATAN RUN!. TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TOO: OPEN HAND, SENIOR CONNECTION, ETC., ETC. THEY DENY PPL THAT ARE TRULY ELEGIBLE AND PICK AND CHOOSE! Be careful with ur loved ones with these so to think heaven sent people!

debram956
May 26th, 2021

Every delivery, I can count on receiving box number 5.
I'm not ungrateful for it but every time.

I do appreciate it though.
Maybe a different box but not box 5

lindaf114
April 7th, 2017

Atlanta based MOW AND THEIR OTHER ENTITIES LIKE OPEN HAND AND SENIOR CONNECTION IS JUST AS BAD AND HAVE THEIR FAVORITES! I too experienced what the other 63 yr. Old female did! Meals came randomly and some meals had been gone through and most nutrious given to others! I DID get their leftovers! If you live in ATLANTA JUST PRAY FOR THIS DERANGED PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY STATED I HAD LEFT DEATH THREATS! Obviously this are lost hallucinating souls that seriously need "GOD"! BUT DON'T EVER DEPEND ON THEIR MEALS AS THEY ARE LIARS AND VERY WISHY WASHY IN THEIR INSPICABLE LIES! Maybe they will be gone soon as GOD doesn't allow ppl like MOW, OPEN HAND, NOR SENIOR CONNECTION NOR HELP FOR THE AGING! All sound great but please seek help elsewhere as they ARE ALL MEAN AND RUTHLESS PPL! Sorry for a negative report but that's how it is and one should ALWAYS BE HONEST!

The answer is that this organization is run by well meaning people however somewhere along the line somebody's making money to give seniors bad food. Food that is in many cases expired. Or just plain rotten. Meat that's boiled until it is beyond all recognition. And when I asked for just the milk, bread and fruit I was told it's all or nothing. That only makes sense if someone has another agenda or is invested in making this happen.

By Tamlyn M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Meals On Wheels staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meals On Wheels?

Have a question about Meals On Wheels?