Review of Meetup

Meetup reviews

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

dianal2
7/23/11

This is a local website (has branches in many US cities). There are groups for people of all ages and hobbies, and just about any interest. Each group has their own page, photos, and message boards. I believe it's just about as safe as anything on the internet these days. There are regular activities and people meet in homes, restaurants, clubs, and at outdoor events. People get to know each other in person. It's also nice because at the holidays, which can be lonely for some, there are always get togethers.

maryh8
3/27/11

I like the site in general, but they send too many unsolicited emails and there is NO WAY TO STOP THEM. Believe me, I tried.
I deleted all my "Interests" to stop their auto-generated "New Meetup Groups" emails, but that didn't work. So I even deleted my account, thinking SURELY that would stop the emails. But no! I am STILL receiving them. Which really bothers me because that means they still have my personal information in their database. "Privacy invasion," anyone?

They offer NO CONTACT information for Customer Service. I.e., there IS no customer service. All they offer is an endless list of FAQs. I tried using their suggestion box but even that didn't work. I looked at their blog and message boards and tried commenting to postings from their programmers about "bugs" but couldn't. I am positively livid.

Will this work? Will someone at Meetup.com see my above comments and finally DO something to stop the emails? And actually delete all my personal information from their database?

katinas
3/9/11

I really wanted to join a book club, but I didn't know how to find one. Someone told me about this site, and I checked it out. I joined a historical fiction book club. The first meeting is today, and I am very excited. This seems like the site to go to if you are looking into social networking in your area.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup