Lichess.org

Lichess.org has a consumer rating of 2.13 stars from 31 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Lichess.org ranks 272nd among Games sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 14.3%
How would you rate Lichess.org?

“Free as in freedom”

P H.
2/10/21

Lichess is free, nonprofit and doesn't run ads. All the features are available to you. It has the strongest in-browser engine (WebAssembly-based stockfish, much faster than stockfish.js on other sites), and even stronger server-based analysis using native code on powerful computers (for free!).

“Bunch of criminals”

Tore H.
3/31/20

Lots of cheating players in another words thieves and criminals. Moderators are exactly the same. Criminals. Account gets timed out for allegedly running down the clock when I'm simply communicating with opponents. What's the purpose of chat then? Absolutely disgraceful. Stay away from those crooks. As law enforcement agent I'll be back with a search warrant.

toreh2
March 31st, 2020

livius
July 19th, 2020

Worst chess site. Dictatorial management. Dumb developers. I can go on and on. Better to play by yourself. They allow cheaters. Better yet encourage it with minor slaps on their wrists. They punish those that let the time run out a few secs while youre thinking ofcourse more harshly than cheaters. I guess youre not allowed to think in this game i a losing position and have to quit the game,,, how stupid. They lag in the game review dept. 2 week wait time to see your games played... another dumb

ph100
February 10th, 2021

hyeokjuns
April 9th, 2018

Nearly all of their practice programs are flawed. They present you with puzzles in which you find the "best move", but the moves the computer says are the best work off of a deeply flawed algorithm. It promotes getting check above all else, even when it is suicidal. Another example from my experiences with these puzzles is it presented me with a game in which I had the option to move my knight into a position in which it would either take the opponent's rook or queen, obviously the best move, however, their bot said that the best move was a suicidal check performed by my queen in which it could be taken out by a pawn. Yes, really. It constantly promotes these puzzles and analyses done by the bot, which needs improvement. This is why I do not recommend lichess beyond playing with people or friends. The community is great, the experience you can gain is great, but the bot they continually shove in your face will only serve to annoy you with its complete lack of ability to analyze.

magnusc3
October 24th, 2020

Cheaters run amok on the site, protected by admins. Reporting them leads to being muted. Covertly muted, so that others can still talk to you but your replies aren't delivered (you are not told this). Unethical all around.

bogdabk
March 30th, 2021

There are A LOT of players that made their account in (For example) in 2011 or 2013, and they played 1 or 2 games and quit, there are a lot of good usernames that are taken because of players like this...
Please make that if a player is offline (Quit) then ban there account or something!
Also, if you are about to mate someone in 1 move, or win, but your time runs out... Please make it just be a draw because a lot of games and rating is dropped because of mate in 1 missed opportunity
Thank You!

davidb6086
April 29th, 2021

It's a very bad place to play chess. Got the worst experience and I just wanted to play the game with a real human and not a computer. Basically cheaters everywhere and no time to think about your next move, their timers are broken or something

brianr472
May 21st, 2021

I have never cheated on any chess platform, but criticized Lichess for not detecting cheaters when data they already possessed and published points directly at known cheaters, yet Lichess failed to clean it up. Lichess then shadow banned me, meaning I get paired only with others either prooven to be, or suspected of being, cheaters. About 50% of my opponents make no effort to hide their cheating, and Lichess completely ignores the problem. I escalated the complaint to Google Play, who also ignored the problem. The truth is, big tech does anything they want, fair or not, with impunity. The only solution is already on the horizon: crush big tech into small competing companies. The unjust shadow banning companies, will soon themselves be banned.

aa345
June 4th, 2020

You go on and play chess! It is amazing, I don't believe the trolls giving it a bad review, check reddit for reviews of actual users. Whoever made it is a great person and provides the best chess service avaliable FOR FREE and is OPEN SOURCE.

stephenr754
February 20th, 2021

Lichess is free and has a pleasant UI, unlike Chess.com which is very busy and not particularly "friendly". As your victories mount, it will move you into higher level competition. Not bad. But, Lichess likes to play Big Brother and if you either walkaway or in my case, time-out while thinking-out moves. In Blitz, it will put you into a time-out like a wayward child. Not sure, but I think they also slow-down the rate at which they match you up with games, and/or match you up with lower-level players. Further, they won't respond to emails at *******@lichess.org, which I think is irresponsible. So, Lichess is... better than nothing.

Products used:
Free service

charlieb409
March 11th, 2021

This is the best chess website ever they deal with cheaters fast you can play in tornamints in all sorts of variants you would join this website you can have your kid have kid mode and there are teams on lichess on I one to 10 it's a 100,000,000,000

budm19
April 11th, 2019

Much better performance than for chess.com. Big problem is when you act maturely in forums yet your views do not mesh with an administrator, they'll silence you and in a most insidious way. Your posts will show up but those in "good-standing" will not see your posts! You could make suggestions, pose questions, or make complaints and you are left wondering whether anyone is reading your posts. If an administrator doesn't like your profile, even if no nudity, no violence, nothing outrageous, your profile will not be seen. The site went about getting after people it deems no good in a rather petty fashion. I never started a fight, never used profanity, and yet I am a nobody, profile unable to be seen and posts not seen except by other similarly shadow-banned members. What a JOKE!

I'd give the site 1 star for the pettiness involved with the personnel overseeing the site but 5 stars as far as relative performance. There are still some lag issues but not usually intense. Sometimes it is bad and makes you wonder whether an admin is choking your ability. When you are right about to win easily and the plug is pulled on you, it makes you wonder about those haters in charge.

wt146
January 10th, 2020

My two accounts were closed yesterday with no explanation, advance warning or as it turns out, right to re-instate any of them. I am of course disgusted by this as I am a youtuber and had posted many of my videos with one of the lichess accounts. The explanation provided by lichess was multiple accounts and abusive behaviour. Lichess is entitled to decide what is abusive and what is not however I reserve myself the right to abuse back when I am abused. As for the multiple accounts I cannot think of any other chess playing web site that would shut down your accounts provided you have only two active ones and all the rest have been closed in the past. Lichess`s unwarranted and authoritarian actions will result in potential loss of income for me due to the fact I use my lichess account for my youtube videos which does generate some income for me. I will not leave this here and will be informing the general public about lichess`s authoritarian approach that hurts chess in general - show me any other website that closes your accounts - no explanation given, no warning, no right to re-instate. Clearly lichess has reached a new low in online censorship and I do not recommend this website to any chess fan that values freedom of expression.

de87
October 19th, 2020

Trash people. I got flagged for cheating but I didn't even cheat! I realised someone hacked into my account then flagged me, and as stupid as that, I got this thing under my name that said "This account violated the Lichess Terms of Service". THIS ALSO MEANT that i couldn't play any games with NON cheating players. This also meant I couldn't join ANY tournaments. So I told this to the moderators. But their response was "You are responsible for all activity on your account." and that's all. This got me so pissed off that i wrote this review. If you unflag me, I will gratefully give a 5 star review.

tomr719
February 20th, 2021

Played here for 6 months and then suddenly my account gets restricted. I email them and they reply with a one sentence email saying I have been using computer assistance. My rating is 1700 on blitz, 1800 on Bullet and 2000 on rapid. My rating on 1 minute games are similar to what i have when i play 10min games. I beat a few good players at 2000 rating but have lost to several between 1200-1600 (not sure how they got that low rating and played insanely good but whatever). Noticed that when you play 1 min games, some players don't even think for a second. I played a game with 35 moves each, i lost on time and my opponent used 3 seconds. Not humanly possible. So looks like they have tons of people cheating using bots, and they dont care about those but restrict people who try and play fair.
Worst site and support/admins are completely frauds.

davidh4786
November 29th, 2020

The site claims to be free for all, which is totally true. But they also use this an an excuse to be super arrogant "we are a free site and have no obligations so we/our admins can do whatever they feel like" and this is just horrible

jackm929
April 28th, 2021

Lichess.org allows too many cheaters. Do yourself a favor, download chess.com. Thank you. Can't choose photo that I took.

Tip for consumers:
Don’t use this site

Products used:
Does it matter? Money hungry badgers☺️

aishrip
May 23rd, 2021

Liuchess is a very big fraud app. If someone wins all the games in the tournament it just exits from the user accout and shows that the user has violated the rules when he has not. It just cant tolerate the contionous win of somebody.

matteob27
January 10th, 2019

Yes, they don't have that much stuff to learn from but the gameplay seems a lot smoother to me. I almost abandoned chess.com (I was a premium member) in favour of lichess and honestly I don't regret. If you happen to play chess more or less seriously, give it a try.

batuk1
November 3rd, 2019

For many that might not know this site has a bot that plays you pretending to be someone else that your playing. If you go to lobby and see there are almost 6 or 7 players waiting on players but yet if you start a quick game lets say 1 minute game. It seems like magic there are 200 players available to play you right away even tho there was no one in there to play 1 minute games. Also if you play an opening that your used to it almost seem like clockwork the bot plays exactly the same pattern as human would not.

ryanf140
March 7th, 2019

I've played on this site a lot (~3,000 games) however last week I got banned for cheating. I don't care about ratings, I did not cheat. They have a forum for appealing, however when I did this the moderators didn't overturn the obvious error. I play the same system in incredibly short games, there is no way that anyone who actually looks through my games would think I was cheating. Back to chess.com!

saml220
April 14th, 2019

THIS WEBSITE ATTRACTS WEAK PLAYERS BECAUSE IT SUCKS. There are several ways for losing players to walk away without resigning, including "waiting" to come back to an abandoned game, and somehow freezing the clocks and walking away. I call it 'French resigning'. It's a waste of time, especially if you're looking to play someone rated over 2000.

thoushantl
September 4th, 2018

The bravado and indignation with which thibault presents his site can be called nothing else; support is nonexistent, filled with elitists and $#*!s that would rather "look cool" than actually help you with your problem, the algorithm which the site uses to find puzzles is terrible, ineffective and does not help you become better; temporary bans are given out for no reason at all (as Paul said) probably because the mods are bored power-tripping idiots, I could go on but you get the picture. Stay away! Stick with chess.com.

davidm1997
May 24th, 2019

The staff support or moderators are very unhelpful. They do not reply to you even if you give them time to reply. The moderators are a disgrace to the definition of "staff". I give this a one star website because of the trigger happy banner moderators. I implore you to please not go to this website. They will ban you even if you play fair or you get too good.

paula243
May 7th, 2018

Frequently gives out temporary bans for unknown reasons, and the support is non-existent. When I tried to ask a question on its "Q&A", it gave me a bogus message about having to be a user for a week even though my profile says I have over eighteen days of non-stop game time. Then, when I tried to submit an issue on Github, my issues were immediately closed with no explanation! When I reopened them, I was eventually banned from their github, also with no explanation! Stay away from these people!

Legit, but if you have political views differing from an administrator, you may get shadow-banned.

By Bud M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Lichess.org staff and other customers.

Free online Chess server. Play Chess now in a clean interface. No registration, no ads, no plugin required. Play Chess with the computer, friends or random opponents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lichess.org?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.1
Have a question about Lichess.org?