Lichess.org

Lichess.org has a consumer rating of 2.28 stars from 18 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Lichess.org also ranks 238th among Games sites.

How would you rate Lichess.org?

“Beautiful website, great people”

a a.
6/4/20

You go on and play chess! It is amazing, I don't believe the trolls giving it a bad review, check reddit for reviews of actual users. Whoever made it is a great person and provides the best chess service avaliable FOR FREE and is OPEN SOURCE.

“Bunch of criminals”

Tore H.
3/31/20

Lots of cheating players in another words thieves and criminals. Moderators are exactly the same. Criminals. Account gets timed out for allegedly running down the clock when I'm simply communicating with opponents. What's the purpose of chat then? Absolutely disgraceful. Stay away from those crooks. As law enforcement agent I'll be back with a search warrant.

aa345
June 4th, 2020
toreh2
March 31st, 2020
livius
July 19th, 2020
Worst chess site. Dictatorial management. Dumb developers. I can go on and on. Better to play by yourself. They allow cheaters. Better yet encourage it with minor slaps on their wrists. They punish those that let the time run out a few secs while youre thinking ofcourse more harshly than cheaters. I guess youre not allowed to think in this game i a losing position and have to quit the game,,, how stupid. They lag in the game review dept. 2 week wait time to see your games played... another dumb
hyeokjuns
April 9th, 2018
Nearly all of their practice programs are flawed. They present you with puzzles in which you find the "best move", but the moves the computer says are the best work off of a deeply flawed algorithm. It promotes getting check above all else, even when it is suicidal. Another example from my experiences with these puzzles is it presented me with a game in which I had the option to move my knight into a position in which it would either take the opponent's rook or queen, obviously the best move, however, their bot said that the best move was a suicidal check performed by my queen in which it could be taken out by a pawn. Yes, really. It constantly promotes these puzzles and analyses done by the bot, which needs improvement. This is why I do not recommend lichess beyond playing with people or friends. The community is great, the experience you can gain is great, but the bot they continually shove in your face will only serve to annoy you with its complete lack of ability to analyze.
budm19
April 11th, 2019
Much better performance than for chess.com. Big problem is when you act maturely in forums yet your views do not mesh with an administrator, they'll silence you and in a most insidious way. Your posts will show up but those in "good-standing" will not see your posts! You could make suggestions, pose questions, or make complaints and you are left wondering whether anyone is reading your posts. If an administrator doesn't like your profile, even if no nudity, no violence, nothing outrageous, your profile will not be seen. The site went about getting after people it deems no good in a rather petty fashion. I never started a fight, never used profanity, and yet I am a nobody, profile unable to be seen and posts not seen except by other similarly shadow-banned members. What a JOKE!

I'd give the site 1 star for the pettiness involved with the personnel overseeing the site but 5 stars as far as relative performance. There are still some lag issues but not usually intense. Sometimes it is bad and makes you wonder whether an admin is choking your ability. When you are right about to win easily and the plug is pulled on you, it makes you wonder about those haters in charge.
matteob27
January 10th, 2019
Yes, they don't have that much stuff to learn from but the gameplay seems a lot smoother to me. I almost abandoned chess.com (I was a premium member) in favour of lichess and honestly I don't regret. If you happen to play chess more or less seriously, give it a try.
jasont128
February 12th, 2018
Hands down the best site there is for chess. It is amazing that the most popular chess site (not this one) actually prevents you from playing a timed game with a friend for free. (You have to play snail chess, where you move once per day or week!)
wt146
January 10th, 2020
My two accounts were closed yesterday with no explanation, advance warning or as it turns out, right to re-instate any of them. I am of course disgusted by this as I am a youtuber and had posted many of my videos with one of the lichess accounts. The explanation provided by lichess was multiple accounts and abusive behaviour. Lichess is entitled to decide what is abusive and what is not however I reserve myself the right to abuse back when I am abused. As for the multiple accounts I cannot think of any other chess playing web site that would shut down your accounts provided you have only two active ones and all the rest have been closed in the past. Lichess`s unwarranted and authoritarian actions will result in potential loss of income for me due to the fact I use my lichess account for my youtube videos which does generate some income for me. I will not leave this here and will be informing the general public about lichess`s authoritarian approach that hurts chess in general - show me any other website that closes your accounts - no explanation given, no warning, no right to re-instate. Clearly lichess has reached a new low in online censorship and I do not recommend this website to any chess fan that values freedom of expression.
kevins226
May 22nd, 2017
This is a great site that is easy to navigate. They have created a site to play on for the game and not for the money. It is easy to find a game and the staff are helpful and will to answer questions.
batuk1
November 3rd, 2019
For many that might not know this site has a bot that plays you pretending to be someone else that your playing. If you go to lobby and see there are almost 6 or 7 players waiting on players but yet if you start a quick game lets say 1 minute game. It seems like magic there are 200 players available to play you right away even tho there was no one in there to play 1 minute games. Also if you play an opening that your used to it almost seem like clockwork the bot plays exactly the same pattern as human would not.
ryanf140
March 7th, 2019
I've played on this site a lot (~3,000 games) however last week I got banned for cheating. I don't care about ratings, I did not cheat. They have a forum for appealing, however when I did this the moderators didn't overturn the obvious error. I play the same system in incredibly short games, there is no way that anyone who actually looks through my games would think I was cheating. Back to chess.com!
saml220
April 14th, 2019
THIS WEBSITE ATTRACTS WEAK PLAYERS BECAUSE IT SUCKS. There are several ways for losing players to walk away without resigning, including "waiting" to come back to an abandoned game, and somehow freezing the clocks and walking away. I call it 'French resigning'. It's a waste of time, especially if you're looking to play someone rated over 2000.
thoushantl
September 4th, 2018
The bravado and indignation with which thibault presents his site can be called nothing else; support is nonexistent, filled with elitists and $#*!s that would rather "look cool" than actually help you with your problem, the algorithm which the site uses to find puzzles is terrible, ineffective and does not help you become better; temporary bans are given out for no reason at all (as Paul said) probably because the mods are bored power-tripping idiots, I could go on but you get the picture. Stay away! Stick with chess.com.
davidm1997
May 24th, 2019
The staff support or moderators are very unhelpful. They do not reply to you even if you give them time to reply. The moderators are a disgrace to the definition of "staff". I give this a one star website because of the trigger happy banner moderators. I implore you to please not go to this website. They will ban you even if you play fair or you get too good.
paula243
May 7th, 2018
Frequently gives out temporary bans for unknown reasons, and the support is non-existent. When I tried to ask a question on its "Q&A", it gave me a bogus message about having to be a user for a week even though my profile says I have over eighteen days of non-stop game time. Then, when I tried to submit an issue on Github, my issues were immediately closed with no explanation! When I reopened them, I was eventually banned from their github, also with no explanation! Stay away from these people!
jc750
March 21st, 2019
They are on a power trip ban people daily
I have 15 friends on this site all got ban for no reason
If you are too good they will ban you
tendyw
January 29th, 2018
Free but far from perfect. While I certainly appreciate that the website is completely free, it appears to lack a lot of features that are available on other chess websites.
1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Legit, but if you have political views differing from an administrator, you may get shadow-banned.

By Bud M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Lichess.org staff and other customers.

Free online Chess server. Play Chess now in a clean interface. No registration, no ads, no plugin required. Play Chess with the computer, friends or random opponents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lichess.org?

Have a question about Lichess.org?