Gumtree UK

Gumtree UK has a consumer rating of 1.3 stars from 43 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Gumtree UK also ranks 109th among Classifieds sites. The most common issues with Gumtree UK are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Shocking and horrendous customer service and a most frustrating experience.
How would you rate Gumtree UK?

“Just finished selling my old camera kit on gumtree...”

Suki K.
1/20/14

Just finished selling my old camera kit on gumtree and great price really quickly. And no commission or costs. Very happy. Great website. Clear and professional.

“Con”

David R.
12/11/19

Gumtree seem to wait until your ad is almost finished then send you an email expressing interest, therefore encouraging you to re-post whatever you're selling from made up respondents. No reply when you get back to the interested party is my experience. This has happened 3 times now, hence the suspicion. In other words,..generating a few more pounds of themselves

customer service (8)
davidr1817
December 11th, 2019

In other words,..generating a few more pounds of themselves
huap1
January 12th, 2020
Honestly, I have come back and forth trough the years, giving this cesspit the benefit of the doubt. Every time it is the same, an exercise in futility. NO SALES even for 1/4 of original prices for the items. Lots of TIME wasters who send you myriads of messages and vanish once time for collection and payment has been agreed, no follow up. INSANE buyers who are self centered enough to DEMAND you deliver something for free in 100+ mile radius from your location. Spammed by unsolicited ''courier'' offers who just want to pocket payment for delivery and the item you deliver, wonderful how Gumtree allows this to continue. Never had a single sale over the years, only aggravation. Now they expect people to pay excessive promoted ad rates - pay to play just like eBay, so why would I choose this POS site if rules are the same? This is the last time I will ever be using Gumtree for selling. No profit, wasted time, pointless. DON'T BOTHER. Give your stuff away to a charity or flog in a car boot, you will be better off.
jarrodj10
November 22nd, 2019
Complete waste of time. Had endless time wasters followed by someone who decided its a great place to talk about his boring life. I wouldn't waste your time on the complete junk site go anywhere else. AVOID!
lindav144
October 20th, 2018
I paid over £100 to advertise. It was deleted after 2 days with no explanation. Have sent numerous emails, each more annoyed, and each time get a 'case number', but nobody ever actually comes back on the issue. In addition, the site is badly set up, not user friendly if trying to contact applicants, but above all there seems no effective means of redress if you don't get what you paid for. Is Gumtree itself a sort of scam?
garyh374
July 6th, 2018
Review/comment on GUMTREE facebook (via the GUMTREE page), and have the message

"The people who manage this Page will review your post"

FLASH up on the screen for a few seconds, and then it (the review & the message) vanishes.... Oh if only the same could be said of "people you may know" eh :-)

Gumtree/eBay it doesn't make any difference, not since eBay OWN Gumtree, just something to bear in mind people.
rachaela30
March 28th, 2019
£102 to advertise for a job, they sell you all the upgrades to get more applications. Three weeks later and not one applicant, they don't care that you have very few views (31 after three weeks) and no applicants what so ever. "Its not there problem was their reply!!"
Indeed was a free advert for the same period and it got 240 views and 30 applicants...
mikea119
April 13th, 2016
I had to change my email address due to emails received everyday. if you try to look to buying a car you'll find tons of private sellers with 50 60 cars for sales, all pictured in different backgrounds images, ????? i have called a few as the prices was well under the market and yeah as i said scammers, scammers, scammers. "leave a deposit and we can meet to do the transaction , as i have already peoples interested in this particular car "
I have just found 1stbuy.co.uk which seems to be a really good selling and buying website, looks amazing, good customer support, very few boring google ads, Good site worth a try.
ateeqa
November 26th, 2018
Lots of 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments for rent in Knightsbridge and Oxford Street for £700pcm including bills. You report the adverts and gumtree does nothing about it. Come on its common sense if prices are priced ridiculously low. The advertiser then sends you dodgy links which enables them to scam you in return. Gumtree does not care for the safety nor your money. STAY AWAY FROM GUMTREE. we were scammed £500. stay away from gumtree listers
farooqh1
January 26th, 2018
Absolutely rubbish! First of all this site is dodgy as hell and customer service are even worst! They sound like draconian and dictorial! Just blocked my account without any reason! When asked why basically just saying we did because we can! They promote scammers and ban ligit people! Unprofessional and rude management, no place in a civilised world!
samt153
January 25th, 2019
I paid £99 for a premium advert for 14 days.....£99!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad enough you would think. Well they had anyvan sponsored adverts on my paid for premium advert. Come on Gumtree explain..... I bet you do not!!! AVOID THIS RIP OFF
donnaj115
July 1st, 2018
I was selling camping equipment via gumtree. When I received a text asking if it was still for sale??
The scam - the customer lived in Nigeria and wanted me to transfer £250 to before they would pay for goods. They also infected pc with malware virus, trying to get card/bank details. Im not stupid.
davids2405
September 26th, 2019
God help you if you need to contact customer services, even worse if you are communicating with Charlotte.
Placed a advert to sell a property, paid £55 to have it on a prime slot for 7 days plus paid for web site link, link just did not work, by the time customer services reply advert is finished they have your money and couldn't give a hoot.
Then we have Charlotte on customer services, spins a load of bull as to why link does not work and when challenged says another thing, said she would refund cost of link and posting fee, this did not happen as yes you've guessed, was told advert was still working and would now only return URL link fee,
Total waste of money, disgraceful service, would have been as well burning the money in the garden
patm134
May 21st, 2017
I was punished by Gumtree, EBay and Paypal for telling Gumtree via Facebook 3 of their sellers were not ltd companies (limited companies no longer active but obviously still trading)! So I do question their honesty.
I have tried and tried again to underline the problems to them, but they told me to send them an email and I did, nothing absolutely nothing; those people still trading.
Shame on you Gumtree, time for a better person/group to purchase Gumtree, preferably not via ebay !
garyh132
July 5th, 2016
A very good web site for looking for items in your own county, Well worth looking at
ichabodi
November 26th, 2018
Gumtree are a rubbish site with an infuriating rubbish login.
You have to go through 6 screens of a Captcha device before it will let you login.
disgusting, infuriating, an insult to my intelligence.
Latest is Gumtree belongs to Ebay - another scam ripoff site and / or is run from Nigeria - says it all doesn't it.
Gumtree go forth and multiply
jaydeed
August 28th, 2018
I couldn't be more unhappy with GumTree after they removed the Job Wanted section that had worked for me as a sole trader available part time. My adverts gained loads of views and I found clients.

But after they removed the Job Wanted section to startup a dedicated Job Section, I saw how they had given all the power to employers but took away the power for job or work seekers advertising their services.

They have a services section but the views was 80% less than the Job Wanted section. They upped the price of advertising from £7.99 to £10.99 to add insult to injury when I discovered that it was a complete waste of money.

Why change something for the worse? Who had come up with the decision? GumTree is nothing to me now. I cringe when I think about it.

Suffice to say, I won't be sinking another DIME into that useless website.
sukik
Suki K.
January 20th, 2014
kirstys14
May 29th, 2018
Honestly really bad! Customer service is useless!! They have mad changes and it has got even worse. I used to use Gumtree to advertise jobs for my business, but that will all stop as things have got worse.
stephenj141
September 3rd, 2018
Business students the world over: if you want to look at something with great potential and see how to $#*! it up, squeezing as much money out of it as possible before people get fed up, Gumtree is the perfect example.

It used to be good. It even used to feel like it was worthwhile using, like you were buying into something decent.

No longer. It's just a shadow of its former self, rather like a nice corner shop with friendly staff and quality produce being turned into an industrial scale mega-mart.

They couldn't give a $#*! what buyers and sellers experience, as long as their profits are ramped up to the max.

The jokers who bought this site should have pikes shoved up their asses and then thrown into a pit of vermin, where they belong.
johnm1191
October 18th, 2017
In the past I've placed adverts for web design glasgow even though I am not based in Glasgow (just outside) and they appeared no problem because I registered the advert on the www.gumtree.com/glasgow page. Well over the past week I placed my advert first of all, it came up in my local small town of Greenock which is no use. I've since been mailing gumtree "support" back and forth on twitter where they specifically said if I place an advert in drafts they would post it free for website design in Glasgow seemed reasonable enough (although I wasn't that happy they couldn't amend their own product.) Anyway after alot of wasted time given I have a business to run the new advert then simply appeared again as a duplicate in my home town of Greenock. I am not happy at all I was genuinely considering a bigger package from gumtree or at least placing one of these adverts each month I am now put off as their customer service is awful. After I raised my last complaint that I simply had a duplicate advert in the same location they just ignored me and left me no choice other than to leave this review. I honestly would still like it resolved and understand that things happen however if it doesn't get corrected that won't be happening. I also recommend gumtree to certain businesses I provide SEO and lead generation for so the balls in your court gumtree...

Tip for consumers: Great when all is well. Terrible!! When there is even a small issue.

craigs193
April 29th, 2018
I bought a van listed on Gumtree from female seller at a residential address with a 12 day old mot described as nice clean van.This is the list of jobs i have had to had done new break pipes front to rear(unsecured and corroded) new fan belt and tensioner, antiroll bar link and D bushes,secure air box, replace windscreen, rear light, reversing lens, faulty headlight, no spare wheel, inoperable cd player, broken window winder, missing lower wing mirror, catalytic converter welded together. All this on a 12 day old MOT with NO ADVISORIES. I contacted her after taking it to 2 garages and told her their concerns over the validity of the MOT and the list of jobs needed doing and she showed no interest whatsoever. She list under a 3 letter or sometimes 7 letter name beginning with M. Be VERY diligent if you wish to deal with this seller.
brianb591
August 22nd, 2018
Arranged for individual to collect a 3 seater settee. Gave full details, phone, address and arranged time. Settee was humped through house and taken outside so it was ready for individual and they didn't have to move it themselves. ( I have a defibrilator and wife has arthritis) Person never turned up would not reply to emails.

When I left a review to say didn't turn up they reponded with a review to say we were unhelpful. The only way we could have been more helpful was by taking it to their house and sitting on it for them.

Customer service in Gumtree is useless, toothless and unprofessional. They said they don't get involved with comments and anyone can put anything so what meaning does their review system have. It's meaningless. At least eBay follow up.

They want to compete with eBay but are unwilling to do anything for it.

Sell it in a newsagent with a postcard - it's more professional.
stuartj6
April 6th, 2016
On looking to purchase a car thought I would try Gumtree only to find that every car I made contact with where side street car traders giving all the time wasting chat but in fact just more scammers buying and selling cars but not paying TAX.
Its about time gumtree took action on this practice a private ad should be just that not a car trader with loads of different accounts , Should you be looking at cars on the site take the phone number & place it in google search all ads will pop up containing the number.
olehc
March 13th, 2017
Do not trust this gumtree.uk! I transferred the money for the first time in my life to publish an urgent ad about the sale of my daughter's baby pram, but the staff of gumtree.uk said they simply do not trust me and they are not going to return money! Freaks !!!
ellak12
May 2nd, 2016
I recently purchased something from a seller advertising in gumtree. I paid for it immediately and the seller said she will post it as next day delivery and it's been a week now and I haven't received my item.. In short I've been ripped off. Too many bogus sellers and scammers advertising in this site. I suggest to avoid this site. Better choose amazon or ebay than this.

What you need to understand is that Gumtree is owned by eBay, and (so it would seem) is run in much the same way, and that is? with the best interests of SCAMMERS at heart. I have no idea what Gumtree was like pre 2005, when eBay spent $81.6 million to acquire it (along with LoQUo, and opusforum) but I have no doubts about the honesty (lack of) of eBay. The "Authorities"?, Police, Action Fraud (should be renamed INAction Fraud IMHO) are LESS than useless, as are Trading Standards or the CAB. It's ALMOST as if eBay/Gumtree are Teflon coated. Personally I like to prowl the eBay community forum, and (within the rules of engagement) engage with fellow forum members, highlighting the truth...the dishonest truth of how eBay protect shill bidders, scammers and thieves as the whole eBay system (CS,Trust and safety etc) would seem to be set-up to do, AND ( sadly, so it would seem) the same could be said of Gumtree?.

By Gary H.

Treat them that you will report them to paypal because they took your money and you want a refund.I did like that and they answer me saying that their policy is to don't refund money. This website need to be put in the the eyes of Police or any other authorities since soo many people are rip off.

By Hannah R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Gumtree UK staff and other customers.

Gumtree is the first site for free classifieds ads in the UK. Buy and sell items, cars, properties, and find or offer jobs in your area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gumtree UK?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.3
Have a question about Gumtree UK?