Review of Gumtree UK

Tel: +27710212388
press@gumtree.com

rachaela30
3/28/19

£102 to advertise for a job, they sell you all the upgrades to get more applications. Three weeks later and not one applicant, they don't care that you have very few views (31 after three weeks) and no applicants what so ever. "Its not there problem was their reply!!"
Indeed was a free advert for the same period and it got 240 views and 30 applicants...

samt153
1/25/19

I paid £99 for a premium advert for 14 days.....£99!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad enough you would think. Well they had anyvan sponsored adverts on my paid for premium advert. Come on Gumtree explain..... I bet you do not!!! AVOID THIS RIP OFF

ateeqa
11/26/18

Lots of 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments for rent in Knightsbridge and Oxford Street for £700pcm including bills. You report the adverts and gumtree does nothing about it. Come on its common sense if prices are priced ridiculously low. The advertiser then sends you dodgy links which enables them to scam you in return. Gumtree does not care for the safety nor your money. STAY AWAY FROM GUMTREE. we were scammed £500. stay away from gumtree listers

ichabodi
11/26/18

Gumtree are a rubbish site with an infuriating rubbish login.
You have to go through 6 screens of a Captcha device before it will let you login.
disgusting, infuriating, an insult to my intelligence.
Latest is Gumtree belongs to Ebay - another scam ripoff site and / or is run from Nigeria - says it all doesn't it.
Gumtree go forth and multiply

lindav144
10/20/18

I paid over £100 to advertise. It was deleted after 2 days with no explanation. Have sent numerous emails, each more annoyed, and each time get a 'case number', but nobody ever actually comes back on the issue. In addition, the site is badly set up, not user friendly if trying to contact applicants, but above all there seems no effective means of redress if you don't get what you paid for. Is Gumtree itself a sort of scam?

stephenj141
9/3/18

Business students the world over: if you want to look at something with great potential and see how to $#*! it up, squeezing as much money out of it as possible before people get fed up, Gumtree is the perfect example.

It used to be good. It even used to feel like it was worthwhile using, like you were buying into something decent.

No longer. It's just a shadow of its former self, rather like a nice corner shop with friendly staff and quality produce being turned into an industrial scale mega-mart.

They couldn't give a $#*! what buyers and sellers experience, as long as their profits are ramped up to the max.

The jokers who bought this site should have pikes shoved up their asses and then thrown into a pit of vermin, where they belong.

jaydeed
8/28/18

I couldn't be more unhappy with GumTree after they removed the Job Wanted section that had worked for me as a sole trader available part time. My adverts gained loads of views and I found clients.

But after they removed the Job Wanted section to startup a dedicated Job Section, I saw how they had given all the power to employers but took away the power for job or work seekers advertising their services.

They have a services section but the views was 80% less than the Job Wanted section. They upped the price of advertising from £7.99 to £10.99 to add insult to injury when I discovered that it was a complete waste of money.

Why change something for the worse? Who had come up with the decision? GumTree is nothing to me now. I cringe when I think about it.

Suffice to say, I won't be sinking another DIME into that useless website.

brianb591
8/22/18

Arranged for individual to collect a 3 seater settee. Gave full details, phone, address and arranged time. Settee was humped through house and taken outside so it was ready for individual and they didn't have to move it themselves. ( I have a defibrilator and wife has arthritis) Person never turned up would not reply to emails.

When I left a review to say didn't turn up they reponded with a review to say we were unhelpful. The only way we could have been more helpful was by taking it to their house and sitting on it for them.

Customer service in Gumtree is useless, toothless and unprofessional. They said they don't get involved with comments and anyone can put anything so what meaning does their review system have. It's meaningless. At least eBay follow up.

They want to compete with eBay but are unwilling to do anything for it.

Sell it in a newsagent with a postcard - it's more professional.

garyh374
7/6/18

Review/comment on GUMTREE facebook (via the GUMTREE page), and have the message

"The people who manage this Page will review your post"

FLASH up on the screen for a few seconds, and then it (the review & the message) vanishes.... Oh if only the same could be said of "people you may know" eh :-)

Gumtree/eBay it doesn't make any difference, not since eBay OWN Gumtree, just something to bear in mind people.

donnaj115
7/1/18

I was selling camping equipment via gumtree. When I received a text asking if it was still for sale??
The scam - the customer lived in Nigeria and wanted me to transfer £250 to before they would pay for goods. They also infected pc with malware virus, trying to get card/bank details. Im not stupid.

kirstys14
5/29/18

Honestly really bad! Customer service is useless!! They have mad changes and it has got even worse. I used to use Gumtree to advertise jobs for my business, but that will all stop as things have got worse.

craigs193
4/29/18

I bought a van listed on Gumtree from female seller at a residential address with a 12 day old mot described as nice clean van.This is the list of jobs i have had to had done new break pipes front to rear(unsecured and corroded) new fan belt and tensioner, antiroll bar link and D bushes,secure air box, replace windscreen, rear light, reversing lens, faulty headlight, no spare wheel, inoperable cd player, broken window winder, missing lower wing mirror, catalytic converter welded together. All this on a 12 day old MOT with NO ADVISORIES. I contacted her after taking it to 2 garages and told her their concerns over the validity of the MOT and the list of jobs needed doing and she showed no interest whatsoever. She list under a 3 letter or sometimes 7 letter name beginning with M. Be VERY diligent if you wish to deal with this seller.

farooqh1
1/26/18

Absolutely rubbish! First of all this site is dodgy as hell and customer service are even worst! They sound like draconian and dictorial! Just blocked my account without any reason! When asked why basically just saying we did because we can! They promote scammers and ban ligit people! Unprofessional and rude management, no place in a civilised world!

craigt44
12/14/17

Similar to many others:

I tried to sell an item on Gumtree as a new user.

Ad immediately removed and after an e-mail, requesting support, went unanswered, I used the "live chat" feature.

Liam told me that my account had been blocked and that he wasn't sure why but any further correspondence from me would be unanswered. I immediately asked what I had done to warrant this and the window was closed.

I received an e-mail from them telling me, in a rather blunt manner, that their decision is final and that it is best I don't use their site anymore.

And people use Gumtree??? How on Earth has it become a popular medium with customer service like this? I'm stunned.

Needless to say, I'll not be touching it again and will aim to deter as many people as I can from using it.

Companies like this exist BECAUSE OF their users and this kind of treatment of innocent users should justify the dismantling of the site.

There are many other options out there for selling personal items.

tf42
10/31/17

Gumtree the company is a scam. They market the Gumtree site as free to post adverts, but if you do not pay to bump your advert, they block you as a user. There is no customer support to discuss being blocked. They should be investigated.

I have have been using Gumtree for years. Now, every time I try to post an ad it says, "Your ad has been removed from the site because it breaks posting rules. We've emailed you to explain why." I do not receive an email from them to explain why. The items I sell are not restricted and I have used the site for similar items in the past (e.g., child stroller). Also, for some reason, all of my previous posts (i.e., successful sales) on Gumtree have also been listed as "removed" under Manage my ads.

johnm1191
10/18/17

In the past I've placed adverts for web design glasgow even though I am not based in Glasgow (just outside) and they appeared no problem because I registered the advert on the www.gumtree.com/glasgow page. Well over the past week I placed my advert first of all, it came up in my local small town of Greenock which is no use. I've since been mailing gumtree "support" back and forth on twitter where they specifically said if I place an advert in drafts they would post it free for website design in Glasgow seemed reasonable enough (although I wasn't that happy they couldn't amend their own product.) Anyway after alot of wasted time given I have a business to run the new advert then simply appeared again as a duplicate in my home town of Greenock. I am not happy at all I was genuinely considering a bigger package from gumtree or at least placing one of these adverts each month I am now put off as their customer service is awful. After I raised my last complaint that I simply had a duplicate advert in the same location they just ignored me and left me no choice other than to leave this review. I honestly would still like it resolved and understand that things happen however if it doesn't get corrected that won't be happening. I also recommend gumtree to certain businesses I provide SEO and lead generation for so the balls in your court gumtree...

Tip for consumers: Great when all is well. Terrible!! When there is even a small issue.

mikea151
6/18/17

All contact numbers are premium rate scams, watch out!!!!
and more and more and more and more and more and more

patm134
5/21/17

I was punished by Gumtree, EBay and Paypal for telling Gumtree via Facebook 3 of their sellers were not ltd companies (limited companies no longer active but obviously still trading)! So I do question their honesty.
I have tried and tried again to underline the problems to them, but they told me to send them an email and I did, nothing absolutely nothing; those people still trading.
Shame on you Gumtree, time for a better person/group to purchase Gumtree, preferably not via ebay !

abbym24
5/18/17

I literally posted an ad today ad I am selling my car and literally within an hour I have had 10 calls from insurance companies and solicitors asking about the "accident" I had recently! I haven't had one! So annoying it's untrue!!!!!

olehc
3/13/17

Do not trust this gumtree.uk! I transferred the money for the first time in my life to publish an urgent ad about the sale of my daughter's baby pram, but the staff of gumtree.uk said they simply do not trust me and they are not going to return money! Freaks !!!

danielw112
10/17/16

My fiancé rented a room at 43 Amis Avenue for 3 and a half weeks and it was the houseshare from hell! The landlords were rude and spiteful and gossiped about my fiancé behind her back to their family. they had their television booming till the early hours of the morning, they refused to pay all the deposit back and made my fiancé very ill with their behaviour. Thy forced my fiancé to move out and when we gave them notice they turned very nasty. If they are advertising a room do not accept it as the landlords are liars. They will be nice in the interview, but will treat you like rubbish when you move in.

garyh132
7/5/16

A very good web site for looking for items in your own county, Well worth looking at

johnh537
6/5/16

paid for feature advert only to find out next day they had took all my money £20.000 from account. police have informed me gumtree work in Nigeria in a makeshift office with eBay there. How can this be

leen125
5/3/16

NEVER pay for advert - they are practically fraudsters - take your money and then delete the ad.

ellak12
5/2/16

I recently purchased something from a seller advertising in gumtree. I paid for it immediately and the seller said she will post it as next day delivery and it's been a week now and I haven't received my item.. In short I've been ripped off. Too many bogus sellers and scammers advertising in this site. I suggest to avoid this site. Better choose amazon or ebay than this.

What you need to understand is that Gumtree is owned by eBay, and (so it would seem) is run in much the same way, and that is? with the best interests of SCAMMERS at heart. I have no idea what Gumtree was like pre 2005, when eBay spent $81.6 million to acquire it (along with LoQUo, and opusforum) but I have no doubts about the honesty (lack of) of eBay. The "Authorities"?, Police, Action Fraud (should be renamed INAction Fraud IMHO) are LESS than useless, as are Trading Standards or the CAB. It's ALMOST as if eBay/Gumtree are Teflon coated. Personally I like to prowl the eBay community forum, and (within the rules of engagement) engage with fellow forum members, highlighting the truth...the dishonest truth of how eBay protect shill bidders, scammers and thieves as the whole eBay system (CS,Trust and safety etc) would seem to be set-up to do, AND ( sadly, so it would seem) the same could be said of Gumtree?.

By Gary H.

Treat them that you will report them to paypal because they took your money and you want a refund.I did like that and they answer me saying that their policy is to don't refund money. This website need to be put in the the eyes of Police or any other authorities since soo many people are rip off.

By Hannah R.

Questions? Get answers from the Gumtree UK staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Gumtree UK