Gumtree UK

Gumtree UK has a consumer rating of 1.27 stars from 51 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Gumtree UK most frequently mention customer service, live chat and next day problems. Gumtree UK ranks 101st among Classifieds sites.

No positive highlights yet

• Shocking and horrendous customer service and a most frustrating experience.
  • I had to change my email address due to emails received everyday.
How would you rate Gumtree UK?

“Just finished selling my old camera kit on gumtree...”

Suki K.
1/20/14

Just finished selling my old camera kit on gumtree and great price really quickly. And no commission or costs. Very happy. Great website. Clear and professional.

“Pack Loaded with Scammers, Bots and Phishers”

Alan K.
9/1/20

Last month, I listed a professional camcorder on Gumtree. Within just an hour of posting, some phisher by the name of "Pascal" messaged me saying he was in another city about 200 miles away and offered £50 extra for delivery and willing to pay with PayPal. Many red flags were raised. I got super suspicious, but decided to play along. He gave his spaced-out phone number and requested we talk on Whatsapp. I immediately did a reverse phone number search and found multiple complaints from other people saying this guy claims to be from another city and offers more money for postage, then claims he gave vendors the money so he can have the item for free. As seen from the screenshots, I confronted him about it and, of course, he never responded back. Apologies for the language. The very next day, I got messaged by a user of a different name who claimed to be from another city and wanted to pay with PayPal, and offering extra for delivery. I suspected this was the work of the same parasite [Pascal], but acting under a different alias, so you can pretty much guess the amount of respect I gave them. Overtime, I am mostly met with users asking "Is this still available?". Later I found out that 99% of these users are one-stars and the reasons being mostly down to them not responding. I did some researching and found out that there is a multitude of bots on Gumtree that are programmed to go through various ads and ask the sellers this very question. The true nail in the coffin was when I subsequently wrote up a lengthy complaint to Gumtree's official email address, only to receive an automated response saying that the email address I wrote to isn't being monitored. There is an option on Gumtree where you can rate and report the customers, but it's only so limited to a few categories, none of which exactly fits the nature of the ordeals I had. I believe Gumtree should request ID for verification whenever opening an account on their site. At least then no one should be able to go through the stress of having their time wasted and their hopes up with this nonsense.

customer service (8) email address (3)
doctora11
September 1st, 2020

jamiem474
September 18th, 2020

Don't bother listing or buying anything off this site. It honestly cannot be trusted. Pretty much half of the people that contact you are just phishing and scamming. Gumtree have done nothing to enhance security or confidence in it's platform.

davidr1817
December 11th, 2019

Gumtree seem to wait until your ad is almost finished then send you an email expressing interest, therefore encouraging you to re-post whatever you're selling from made up respondents.

No reply when you get back to the interested party is my experience. This has happened 3 times now, hence the suspicion.

In other words,. Generating a few more pounds of themselves

caitlinl36
September 5th, 2020

Be very careful when using gumtree, I had a bad experience and was scammed when selling my iPhone 7, they made everything so believable using fake emails and receipts.BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS!

vincentc386
June 2nd, 2021

Horrendous service. I put up an ad, paid for featured ad, it lasted 36 minutes. It gets pulled, I contact Customer Service (don't bother with the live chat, IT'S NEVER AVAILABLE!)

Customer service sends me a mail the next day, tells me my ad was pulled for violating their t&cs without actually pointing out WHICH T&Cs. Then second half of the letter goes on to effectively tell me I won't be refunded.

Not only do they not vet your ad to determine if it violates there t&cs to start with, they sucker you into paying for ads and then proceed to keep your money on the pretext that you violated their t&cs.

SELLERS BE WARNED!

Tip for consumers:
DON'T USE THIS SITE IF YOU'RE SELLING. A lot of people have had the same experience and I only found out after i had been scammed by the site.

Products used:
I put an ad as a seller

mikea119
April 13th, 2016

I had to change my email address due to emails received everyday. If you try to look to buying a car you'll find tons of private sellers with 50 60 cars for sales, all pictured in different backgrounds images,? I have called a few as the prices was well under the market and yeah as i said scammers, scammers, scammers. "leave a deposit and we can meet to do the transaction, as i have already peoples interested in this particular car "
I have just found 1stbuy.co.uk which seems to be a really good selling and buying website, looks amazing, good customer support, very few boring google ads, Good site worth a try.

zens1
April 30th, 2013

Are Gumtree using restrictive software against users?

Users who are 'flagged up' in some way?

Gumtree advisors admitted I had been flagged up,
And that this changes the service Gumtree gives.

I notice that my stats,
For an advert in what SHOULD one of the busiest sections of Gumtree Brighton,
In a city with 300,000 people,
Shows a mere 101 people on LISTING VIEW in 8 days.

12 people a day, for
Miscellaneous Goods/Hobbies, Interests, & Collectibles.

If this Listing View statistic is true,
Gumtree is in serious trouble,
Because it is £20 worth of effort in,
For £1 worth of result ( if one is lucky).

If not even FREE adverts are worth the effort,
The Gumtree game is not worth the candle.

The suspicion is,
That Gumtree are restricting access by Users to my adverts,
And internally manipulating their process,
Because I find it hard to believe
That a mere 12 people a day visit that listing.

If Gumtree do not want me as a User,
Then I would appreciate the honesty of simply saying so.

Because if internal software is intended to grind me down,
To the point where I abandon Gumtree,
That's evil.

And the advert input page is a clunky nightmare,
Badly positioned,
And with silly time-wasting.

Why is the cursor not already positioned in the Post Code Box?

Why is ENTER not available, meaning one must move to the mouse?

Why is my Post Code not stored, saving typing it at all?

If 1 million people unnecessarily lose 2 seconds of time,
That is a waste of 555 hours.

Zen Brighton

chalam1
August 4th, 2020

I have been using gumtree every now and then when i had to sell something. Today i realised they are SHARING MY NUMBER with in time frame of 10mins i received at least 6 phone calls to sell PIP, compensation etc after posting my ad. I started live chat and they said they have no control over who obtains number, which turned out to be a lie. Firstly they state in little writing(terms of use) they share data with 3rd party and my number was added to database for tele marketing, which was told by the guy trying to convince me i had a accident and i should go ahead with compensation claim. All in all people its not worth paying for a service that sells your details for more money.

garyh132
July 5th, 2016

A very good web site for looking for items in your own county, Well worth looking at

sukik
Suki K.
January 20th, 2014

carlh266
July 9th, 2020

Sorry but you're getting too much

Sorry but is not right your strictness with Agent & Agencies you're getting too much...

I am an agent who joined recently the industry and due to COVID19 broke indeed, keen to build a transparent business but apparently a tiny hard to understand 4 you... Millionaire company...

You have all the rights and I am with you on protecting your customers as everyone should do, but you can't kill new agents or people who's willing to build something... Obviously, all need time and money hence may not everyone has handy money as you do...

This is completely unfair...

On top of it they block the account but keep filling my email with their marketing & I can't stop it cause I can't access it... Seems a prank...

You might be great with a part of your customers but remember that us agent are one of your the CORE of your business... not only Tenants are your customers...

Without us posting you would have none seeking... remember that...

Not that big without us... better safer than sorry

chloec110
June 6th, 2021

Been using gumtree on and off for years, it used to be teallly good and effective when selling items.
I used to trust leaving my number on the page so people could contact me about an item for sale, how that has done a full 180.

Yes i may be a little naive in thinking the world is wonderful and nothing bad could ever happen but i didn't expect after accidentally leaving my number in a new ad i posted to be hounded by absolute sex pests.

(i say accidentally i just forgot to change the settings on the ad)

Not only was hounded by dirty people trying to get what i can only assume ‘free phone sex' (wouldn't of been too bad if they actually paid for these kinds of services!) i was also hounded by scammers wanting stuff to be delivered by ‘gumtree delivery' through whatsap. The gumtree website even states itself ‘be wary of buyers asking for gumtree delivery' jesus christ.

Gumtree, what the hell happened to you?!

huap1
January 12th, 2020

Honestly, I have come back and forth trough the years, giving this cesspit the benefit of the doubt. Every time it is the same, an exercise in futility. NO SALES even for 1/4 of original prices for the items. Lots of TIME wasters who send you myriads of messages and vanish once time for collection and payment has been agreed, no follow up. INSANE buyers who are self centered enough to DEMAND you deliver something for free in 100+ mile radius from your location. Spammed by unsolicited ''courier'' offers who just want to pocket payment for delivery and the item you deliver, wonderful how Gumtree allows this to continue. Never had a single sale over the years, only aggravation. Now they expect people to pay excessive promoted ad rates - pay to play just like eBay, so why would I choose this POS site if rules are the same? This is the last time I will ever be using Gumtree for selling. No profit, wasted time, pointless. DON'T BOTHER. Give your stuff away to a charity or flog in a car boot, you will be better off.

jamest1292
September 10th, 2020

Brought a car for my wife of gumtree cost me alot of money was told by the seller it was in great condition and great for the year good condition in and out starts and runs great got the car delivered and the car didn't start from day 1 and had nothing but problems ended up losing alot of money as the seller wouldn't give me my money back so have a car sat on the driveway that doesn't work and out of pocket it should have been put up for spairs and repairs or a big project now my wife has been left without a car im sorry but gumtree should have something in place that a buyer can get there money back if the item or items they have brought are not what the advert say or not as described i have never been so let down and all trust is lost

jarrodj10
November 22nd, 2019

Complete waste of time. Had endless time wasters followed by someone who decided its a great place to talk about his boring life. I wouldn't waste your time on the complete junk site go anywhere else. AVOID!

paladina
February 9th, 2011

Like all classified ad sites, and especially the free ones, Gumtree does indeed suffer from scam ads. That said, they seem pretty good at taking down scam ads when reported and there are active forum moderators who aid in that cause.

The site itself carries a growing selection of ads and it's free. I think the site is a good choice for items that you can buy locally and transact face to face (which was, I beleive, the original concept behind the site). But don't use it to buy things remotely from people you haven't met.

lindav144
October 20th, 2018

I paid over £100 to advertise. It was deleted after 2 days with no explanation. Have sent numerous emails, each more annoyed, and each time get a 'case number', but nobody ever actually comes back on the issue. In addition, the site is badly set up, not user friendly if trying to contact applicants, but above all there seems no effective means of redress if you don't get what you paid for. Is Gumtree itself a sort of scam?

garyh374
July 6th, 2018

Review/comment on GUMTREE facebook (via the GUMTREE page), and have the message

"The people who manage this Page will review your post"

FLASH up on the screen for a few seconds, and then it (the review & the message) vanishes... Oh if only the same could be said of "people you may know" eh:-)

Gumtree/eBay it doesn't make any difference, not since eBay OWN Gumtree, just something to bear in mind people.

rachaela30
March 28th, 2019

£102 to advertise for a job, they sell you all the upgrades to get more applications. Three weeks later and not one applicant, they don't care that you have very few views (31 after three weeks) and no applicants what so ever. "Its not there problem was their reply!"
Indeed was a free advert for the same period and it got 240 views and 30 applicants...

ateeqa
November 26th, 2018

Lots of 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments for rent in Knightsbridge and Oxford Street for £700pcm including bills. You report the adverts and gumtree does nothing about it. Come on its common sense if prices are priced ridiculously low. The advertiser then sends you dodgy links which enables them to scam you in return. Gumtree does not care for the safety nor your money. STAY AWAY FROM GUMTREE. We were scammed £500. Stay away from gumtree listers

farooqh1
January 26th, 2018

Absolutely rubbish! First of all this site is dodgy as hell and customer service are even worst! They sound like draconian and dictorial! Just blocked my account without any reason! When asked why basically just saying we did because we can! They promote scammers and ban ligit people! Unprofessional and rude management, no place in a civilised world!

samt153
January 25th, 2019

I paid £99 for a premium advert for 14 days... £99! Bad enough you would think. Well they had anyvan sponsored adverts on my paid for premium advert. Come on Gumtree explain... I bet you do not! AVOID THIS RIP OFF

donnaj115
July 1st, 2018

I was selling camping equipment via gumtree. When I received a text asking if it was still for sale?
The scam - the customer lived in Nigeria and wanted me to transfer £250 to before they would pay for goods. They also infected pc with malware virus, trying to get card/bank details. Im not stupid.

davids2405
September 26th, 2019

God help you if you need to contact customer services, even worse if you are communicating with Charlotte.
Placed a advert to sell a property, paid £55 to have it on a prime slot for 7 days plus paid for web site link, link just did not work, by the time customer services reply advert is finished they have your money and couldn't give a hoot.
Then we have Charlotte on customer services, spins a load of bull as to why link does not work and when challenged says another thing, said she would refund cost of link and posting fee, this did not happen as yes you've guessed, was told advert was still working and would now only return URL link fee,
Total waste of money, disgraceful service, would have been as well burning the money in the garden

patm134
May 21st, 2017

I was punished by Gumtree, EBay and Paypal for telling Gumtree via Facebook 3 of their sellers were not ltd companies (limited companies no longer active but obviously still trading)! So I do question their honesty.
I have tried and tried again to underline the problems to them, but they told me to send them an email and I did, nothing absolutely nothing; those people still trading.
Shame on you Gumtree, time for a better person/group to purchase Gumtree, preferably not via ebay!

What you need to understand is that Gumtree is owned by eBay, and (so it would seem) is run in much the same way, and that is? With the best interests of SCAMMERS at heart. I have no idea what Gumtree was like pre 2005, when eBay spent $81.6 million to acquire it (along with LoQUo, and opusforum) but I have no doubts about the honesty (lack of) of eBay. The "Authorities"?, Police, Action Fraud (should be renamed INAction Fraud IMHO) are LESS than useless, as are Trading Standards or the CAB. It's ALMOST as if eBay/Gumtree are Teflon coated. Personally I like to prowl the eBay community forum, and (within the rules of engagement) engage with fellow forum members, highlighting the truth... the dishonest truth of how eBay protect shill bidders, scammers and thieves as the whole eBay system (CS, Trust and safety etc) would seem to be set-up to do, AND ( sadly, so it would seem) the same could be said of Gumtree?.

By Gary H.

Treat them that you will report them to paypal because they took your money and you want a refund. I did like that and they answer me saying that their policy is to don't refund money. This website need to be put in the the eyes of Police or any other authorities since soo many people are rip off.

By Hannah R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Gumtree UK staff and other customers.

Gumtree is the first site for free classifieds ads in the UK. Buy and sell items, cars, properties, and find or offer jobs in your area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gumtree UK?

Have a question about Gumtree UK?