Forces-war-records.co.uk

Forces-war-records.co.uk has a consumer rating of 1.82 stars from 28 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Forces-war-records.co.uk ranks 22nd among Genealogy sites.

No positive highlights yet

• The site is based on filters, ie supply or pick information relevant to your search.
How would you rate Forces-war-records.co.uk?

“Dissapointed”

Sandra W.
2/21/21

Feel like I have been conned! Paid my yearly fee looked on site for information about my father's military service only to be told nothing on there about him. Ministry of Defence have all the information I want and I will have to get 2 forms to get details £30 each! £60! Wish I hadn't bothered joining.

“Very Poor Value for Money”

N C.
1/4/21

I honestly thought that I'd find details about my father's service (Royal Engineers to 1946), my father-in-law (Corps of Signals, Royal Scots Greys and Household Cavalry to 1945) followed by my wife's grandfathers, both of whom served to 1918. Amazingly, from the 26,000,000 records available, NONE of these men appeared. I've found more material from Mac Family Tree's connection to my FamilySearch user which has cost me nothing. For my subscription I seem to have bought access to a shop - hire a researcher; buy the medals; buy a book. Not good.

information (8)
nc244
January 4th, 2021
Verified purchase

Tip for consumers:
It may be a useful service for a few but not useful for family tree research.

Products used:
Search for former military service for family tree.

stewartd38
August 12th, 2020

This company finds records but to find out if it is the person you are looking for requires subscription. Some basic information, like the service number, for free would at least let you establish whether they had found the correct record. When you discover that it is just someone with the same name it is too late, you have paid for nothing. It is then difficult to find your way through their web site to prevent further subscriptions being taken from your bank. They are willing to do more research but that required hiring a researcher, with no guarantee that they will find the right record. They do, however, offer to sell you medals, even though they have found the wrong person. Avoid at all costs.

hughd32
January 2nd, 2020

Totally useless. Very little information on the individual I was researching and almost all of it was incorrect. They even said he was in the Army when in fact he was in the Royal Naval Reserve. No details on his medal entitlement or record of service. I found more information on the London Gazette site. Based on the scant and inaccurate information I asked for a refund, but got nowhere. A complete waste of time and money.

stevenh1306
July 24th, 2021

Records of family we found showed only injuries, awards and discipline findings, nothing interesting. Some members we knew had served in WWII we couldn't find, presumably because they had received none of the above. They didn't accurately show what we could expect to find before we subscribed. Worse still, we never realised that by signing up we defaulted to recurring monthly payments and ended up paying 3 months fees before we realised - we had only wanted 1 months membership.

johnp2328
January 31st, 2020

Another Auto Renew Casualty, caught by the £5 offer and fell into the trap for another months membership that I don't want or need! Spend your money on Find My Past or Ancestry They also have auto renew but it seems to be more straightforward and I nave joined and rejoined both many times in the last ten years without been caught out like this.

robj168
May 28th, 2021

I subscribed to see if I could find any info about my grandparents. The records were REALLY limited and I found nothing my family couldn't tell me. So I decided that I would cancel my subscription.

Well - that's a lot easier said than done. What out for their trick - they have you click an option to cancel, which takes you to the next screen to provide a reason... When you choose your reason it then jumps to what looks like a confirmation page, but actually there is another tiny text link you need to click to finalise it.

Its a sneaky trick. They got 3 additional months payments out of me because I kept thinking the process had completed... all because I didn't read the bottom line of the page.

Customer service are completely unsympathetic. The company must be making thousands out of scamming people by making them think they have unsubscribe.

Tip for consumers:
DO NOT USE!

Products used:
Monthly subscription

johns6654
June 29th, 2020

These sites are generally good for research but come with the price that you usually end up with continual emails or marketing calls. I should have known better but I was caught with the good old auto renew device where if I did not check my bank balance regularly I would be quite a bit out of pocket. Something should be done about the way in which these companies operate. I would imagine that a considerable part of their revenue is from members who fail to cancel the 'automatic' auto renew function.

sandraw999
February 21st, 2021

stevew1240
October 29th, 2020

Couldn't find my grandad on the site even when I entered his service number! A friend on Findmypast did much better and found lots of information.

annen73
November 4th, 2018

Best site I have accessed for family search and found Canadian relative via 1 email from the support team which contained a link... £8.95 and success! I have joined several ancestry sites at some expense and found nothing. Would highly recommend this site and their customer service and quick response was excellent.

jackw474
May 1st, 2020

I found them on google and entered the name of the RAF pilot I was researching. The response was that they had information about him if I paid £8.95. But they had no information on that name but keep sending me information about other irrelevant names AND keep taking further payments. I have complained but they do nothing but try to offer additional services.

kr355
November 18th, 2020

Subcribed to discover the information available was of no use to me and would require paying for researchers. To be fair when I complained, they refunded my money.

jimd317
October 18th, 2018

Within 24 hrs I have found out info. Regarding my Granddad, when and where the photo was taken and have now been able to order the Postcard of him I saw last night on their TV advert.

julied68
April 19th, 2016

Very useful for little details and the fact they don't ignore minor wars and smaller collections of records is their biggest strength IMHO

johna3171
July 11th, 2021

Complete waste of time. Stay well clear. The information they hold is already in the public domain.

peterm1172
June 4th, 2020

Found no useful information on my grandfather and got charged repeated subscriptions. Waste of money.

patf174
October 1st, 2020

Cancelled my subscription but they are still taking money. Got very little from this site I would not recommend it

pault827
November 17th, 2020

Did have high hopes for this site, but have been left very disappointed.
Prior to subscribing, their webpage tantalisingly lists the people you're researching... just to draw you in & makes big claims as to the data you'll access.
However, once you've subscribed, then you'll discover how little information they ACTUALLY hold.
For those I've researched the site holds little more than I already know. In fact, in some cases, it's actually incorrect. Some of it looks like assumed generalisations (e.g. Campaign medals etc. based on service/period). It's clearly bad value for money.
Have complained, but responce wasn't much help and simply outlined what THEY wanted from me to update THEIR data... and goes on to say my payment is for 'services' then gave a list of excuses about how I have already used those 'services' (i. E. thanks for your money, now we're keeping it!)
I subscribed to this site for information... not their idea of 'services'. Yes, they do offer to research names further, but again the feedback/info you get may be thin/basic & not much more than is already on the site (that is... if they can find it!)
Had I known how poor the data is on this site, I would NEVER have taken a 12mth subscription!
Despite all this, if you're STILL tempeted, do NOT subscribe for 12mths! Take the 1mth option & go review their scant information first!

joand11
September 12th, 2014

All genealogy sites operate this policy as they assume your research like mine will take years! I think the site is very good once you have exhausted sites like Ancestry.

ed162
May 27th, 2019

I found it didn't have anything more than I could find on other family tree sites who were offering a lot more value for the dollar/pound. In fact I found less despite all the advertising hype.

I took advantage of their trial offer then cancelled after ten days or so only to discover they had charged me for another month and didn't want to know about it when I contacted them so that's another minus from me.

It seemed they were trying to sell other services associated with the organisation, ie over the top priced personalised war records.

Sadly I have nothing good to say about my experience with them.

allang56
August 23rd, 2018

The site is based on filters, ie supply or pick information relevant to your search. EVERY time i would fill in my information to search for a particular record, then go back to listing, it would either freez, boot me out, or clear the filter choices taking you back to square one... support would only say we can see you opened A record so as far as we are concerned no problem, yup I'm sure our relatives fighting in the war would have had same attitude... total rip off

Allan Graham

normanr43
November 18th, 2018

The site is set up to con you to take out subscription, sometime some people maybe lucky to get some information but in general it is sparse, more often than not they do not have the information. When contacting them by email they basically treat you like you are an idiot. Do not go near this site or get pulled into paying their subscriptions, there are other better sites to help you find the information you are looking for.

tobys52
May 31st, 2019

Like others I was tempted by the promise of access to millions of war records and registered. The follow up 'special discount' email seemed like good value for a month so I signed up. The site is rubbish! I searched 3 relatives (father, paternal grandfather and father in law) all who served in either WW1 or WW2. Just one record was found, that of my father, which simply said that he was in the RAF, his service number and a load of waffle about what medals he might have been entitled to. When cancelling auto renew they tried to sell me the services of a 'researcher'. At least it only cost me a fiver!

joannag56
July 30th, 2019

Tried to cancel three times, ticked the box as required and asked them to cancel but still being ignored. Disgusting company and rubbish information. DONT USE THEM

jessicaj91
April 18th, 2017

We have tried to contact the Forces War records, they are only available to contact by email and not by online chat or phone. We have contacted them several times and do not get replies. Their website is fairly useless and expensive. There is a lot more information and detail on other websites, once Ancestry is exhausted Find My Past is brilliant with war records, newspaper articles and more. I will never use War Forces again or recommend the website to any friend or family of mine.

I can no longer log in but from memory you need to log in to your account, then click on Acccount top right and then click on one of the 6 or so options that drop down, possibly Subscription. It will open up and show you Recurring Payment with a Yes or a tick already in the box. Click on the Yes/tick and this will cancel the recurring payment. They will make you answer a few more questions just to make it hard for you, and will tell you what you will be missing, before the cancellation is complete, but don't let them wear you down! Best of luck, Sue

By Steven H.

I just asked the same question but then figured it out. Go to My account, then Membership Details. Where it says "Auto Renew?" with a little box saying "Yes", don't worry it will not renew if you click on it (as I was). It will give you the option then to cancel. Sheesh, talk about counterintuitive.

By Cheryl M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Forces-war-records.co.uk staff and other customers.

Search over 10 Million Military Genealogy and Armed Forces war records exclusively cross matched with over 4000 units of the British Armed Forces

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Forces-war-records.co.uk?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.8
Have a question about Forces-war-records.co.uk?