Forces-war-records.co.uk

Forces-war-records.co.uk has a consumer rating of 2 stars from 15 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Forces-war-records.co.uk also ranks 16th among Genealogy sites. The most common issues with Forces-war-records.co.uk are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

How would you rate Forces-war-records.co.uk?

“All genealogy sites operate this policy as they...”

Joan D.
9/12/14

All genealogy sites operate this policy as they assume your research like mine will take years! I think the site is very good once you have exhausted sites like Ancestry.

“In May I used this site once to help my 87 year...”

LYNN M.
8/23/14

In May I used this site once to help my 87 year old Mother! we did not get anywhere but, that is not the issue, In June I did not notice they had taken a 2nd payment from my card, I noticed it in July! I sent 2 emails before I found out there is an automatic tick put in the auto subscription box! I found this, un ticked it feeling cross! but, August came round another payment taken! no response from them! I have sent around 7 emails complaining but, nothing back from them! Watch out is all I say!

allang56
August 23rd, 2018
The site is based on filters, ie supply or pick information relevant to your search. EVERY time i would fill in my information to search for a particular record, then go back to listing, it would either freez, boot me out, or clear the filter choices taking you back to square one.....support would only say we can see you opened A record so as far as we are concerned no problem, yup I'm sure our relatives fighting in the war would have had same attitude......total rip off

Allan Graham
normanr43
November 18th, 2018
The site is set up to con you to take out subscription, sometime some people maybe lucky to get some information but in general it is sparse, more often than not they do not have the information. When contacting them by email they basically treat you like you are an idiot. Do not go near this site or get pulled into paying their subscriptions, there are other better sites to help you find the information you are looking for.
hughd32
January 2nd, 2020
Totally useless. Very little information on the individual I was researching and almost all of it was incorrect. They even said he was in the Army when in fact he was in the Royal Naval Reserve. No details on his medal entitlement or record of service. I found more information on the London Gazette site. Based on the scant and inaccurate information I asked for a refund, but got nowhere. A complete waste of time and money.
johnp2328
January 31st, 2020
Another Auto Renew Casualty, caught by the £5 offer and fell into the trap for another months membership that I don't want or need! Spend your money on Find My Past or Ancestry They also have auto renew but it seems to be more straightforward and I nave joined and rejoined both many times in the last ten years without been caught out like this.
gillianl18
February 10th, 2019
They say they have access to hundreds of records and then admit that many records are still not released and give you advice on how to approach the MOD. Could have said this before taking my money
joannag56
July 30th, 2019
Tried to cancel three times, ticked the box as required and asked them to cancel but still being ignored. Disgusting company and rubbish information. DONT USE THEM
jessicaj91
April 18th, 2017
We have tried to contact the Forces War records, they are only available to contact by email and not by online chat or phone. We have contacted them several times and do not get replies. Their website is fairly useless and expensive. There is a lot more information and detail on other websites, once Ancestry is exhausted Find My Past is brilliant with war records, newspaper articles and more. I will never use War Forces again or recommend the website to any friend or family of mine.
annen73
November 4th, 2018
Best site I have accessed for family search and found Canadian relative via 1 email from the support team which contained a link...£8.95 and success ! I have joined several ancestry sites at some expense and found nothing. Would highly recommend this site and their customer service and quick response was excellent.
jimd317
October 18th, 2018
Within 24 hrs I have found out info. regarding my Granddad, when and where the photo was taken and have now been able to order the Postcard of him I saw last night on their TV advert.
lynnm46
August 23rd, 2014
back from them! Watch out is all I say!

Tip for consumers: Just be careful! it should be left to the person using this site to tick if they want auto subscription not the other way around! You do not know if you want a second month until you try it out! so be aware!

julied68
April 19th, 2016
very useful for little details and the fact they don't ignore minor wars and smaller collections of records is their biggest strength IMHO
joand11
September 12th, 2014
kimh404
November 19th, 2018
The site implies that it holds all the war forces records. Before you pay to join and you search the records it brings up the findings with a list of medals and blurred out writing. It implies that they hold records for your specific search. AFTER paying the search confirms that they do not hold the specific record that you are looking for. You are really taking pot luck, if you join, as to whether they hold the record you are looking for. There is also NO telephone number advertised to contact them. And they did not reply to my email (replying to the one where they confirmed membership).
In my opinion, I feel that I was duped. My grandfather, who was a POW,
would be turning in his grave to know that this site is operating in this way.
tobys52
May 31st, 2019
Like others I was tempted by the promise of access to millions of war records and registered. The follow up 'special discount' email seemed like good value for a month so I signed up. The site is rubbish! I searched 3 relatives (father, paternal grandfather and father in law) all who served in either WW1 or WW2. Just one record was found, that of my father, which simply said that he was in the RAF, his service number and a load of waffle about what medals he might have been entitled to. When cancelling auto renew they tried to sell me the services of a 'researcher'. At least it only cost me a fiver!

I just asked the same question but then figured it out. Go to My account, then Membership Details. Where it says "Auto Renew?" with a little box saying "Yes", don't worry it will not renew if you click on it (as I was). it will give you the option then to cancel.sheesh, talk about counterintuitive.

By Cheryl M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Forces-war-records.co.uk staff and other customers.

Search over 10 Million Military Genealogy and Armed Forces war records exclusively cross matched with over 4000 units of the British Armed Forces

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Forces-war-records.co.uk?

Have a question about Forces-war-records.co.uk?