Forces-war-records.co.uk reviews

Tel: 1899 - 1902391
customercare@forces-war-records.co.uk

tobys52
5/31/19

Like others I was tempted by the promise of access to millions of war records and registered. The follow up 'special discount' email seemed like good value for a month so I signed up. The site is rubbish! I searched 3 relatives (father, paternal grandfather and father in law) all who served in either WW1 or WW2. Just one record was found, that of my father, which simply said that he was in the RAF, his service number and a load of waffle about what medals he might have been entitled to. When cancelling auto renew they tried to sell me the services of a 'researcher'. At least it only cost me a fiver!

ed162
5/27/19

I found it didn't have anything more than I could find on other family tree sites who were offering a lot more value for the dollar/pound. In fact I found less despite all the advertising hype.

I took advantage of their trial offer then cancelled after ten days or so only to discover they had charged me for another month and didn't want to know about it when I contacted them so that's another minus from me.

It seemed they were trying to sell other services associated with the organisation, ie over the top priced personalised war records.

Sadly I have nothing good to say about my experience with them.

gillianl18
2/10/19

They say they have access to hundreds of records and then admit that many records are still not released and give you advice on how to approach the MOD. Could have said this before taking my money

kimh404
11/19/18

The site implies that it holds all the war forces records. Before you pay to join and you search the records it brings up the findings with a list of medals and blurred out writing. It implies that they hold records for your specific search. AFTER paying the search confirms that they do not hold the specific record that you are looking for. You are really taking pot luck, if you join, as to whether they hold the record you are looking for. There is also NO telephone number advertised to contact them. And they did not reply to my email (replying to the one where they confirmed membership).
In my opinion, I feel that I was duped. My grandfather, who was a POW,
would be turning in his grave to know that this site is operating in this way.

normanr43
11/18/18

The site is set up to con you to take out subscription, sometime some people maybe lucky to get some information but in general it is sparse, more often than not they do not have the information. When contacting them by email they basically treat you like you are an idiot. Do not go near this site or get pulled into paying their subscriptions, there are other better sites to help you find the information you are looking for.

annen73
11/4/18

Best site I have accessed for family search and found Canadian relative via 1 email from the support team which contained a link...£8.95 and success ! I have joined several ancestry sites at some expense and found nothing. Would highly recommend this site and their customer service and quick response was excellent.

jimd317
10/18/18

Within 24 hrs I have found out info. regarding my Granddad, when and where the photo was taken and have now been able to order the Postcard of him I saw last night on their TV advert.

allang56
8/23/18

The site is based on filters, ie supply or pick information relevant to your search. EVERY time i would fill in my information to search for a particular record, then go back to listing, it would either freez, boot me out, or clear the filter choices taking you back to square one.....support would only say we can see you opened A record so as far as we are concerned no problem, yup I'm sure our relatives fighting in the war would have had same attitude......total rip off

Allan Graham

jessicaj91
4/18/17

We have tried to contact the Forces War records, they are only available to contact by email and not by online chat or phone. We have contacted them several times and do not get replies. Their website is fairly useless and expensive. There is a lot more information and detail on other websites, once Ancestry is exhausted Find My Past is brilliant with war records, newspaper articles and more. I will never use War Forces again or recommend the website to any friend or family of mine.

julied68
4/19/16

very useful for little details and the fact they don't ignore minor wars and smaller collections of records is their biggest strength IMHO

joand11
9/12/14

All genealogy sites operate this policy as they assume your research like mine will take years! I think the site is very good once you have exhausted sites like Ancestry.

lynnm46
8/23/14

In May I used this site once to help my 87 year old Mother! we did not get anywhere but, that is not the issue, In June I did not notice they had taken a 2nd payment from my card, I noticed it in July! I sent 2 emails before I found out there is an automatic tick put in the auto subscription box! I found this, un ticked it feeling cross! but, August came round another payment taken! no response from them! I have sent around 7 emails complaining but, nothing
back from them! Watch out is all I say!

Tip for consumers: Just be careful! it should be left to the person using this site to tick if they want auto subscription not the other way around! You do not know if you want a second month until you try it out! so be aware!

Questions? Get answers from the Forces-war-records.co.uk staff and other customers.

Forces-war-records.co.uk?