Flixster

Flixster has a consumer rating of 2.21 stars from 68 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Flixster most frequently mention digital copy and customer service problems. Flixster ranks 126th among Movie sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I have repeatedly contacted customer service they were very rude, short, and way off topic on what my concern was.
  • Take a hint from everyone else Flixster, make your movies pc/mac ready.
How would you rate Flixster?

“The admins were the worst thing about this website.”

Morpheus .
8/25/20

Flixster was a very well structured, at least at the beginning, movie ratings website that seemed to suffer most from its own administrators. From what I experienced, personally, and from what I read and was told, it suffered most from those administrators for probably about a year, maybe longer, leading up to the demise of the website. Evidently, those admins were so stuck in the mud ignorant that they really hastened the demise of Flixster. They weren't the reason that the site ultimately died; but, they definitely made it happen faster. And, I am convinced, even if the demise of Flixster hadn't gone down like that, it would have taken even longer and been even uglier. Because, death for a website, any website, is guaranteed when the frontline people that handle the day to day operations of the website are those kinds of people! As a movie website the one thing that they didn't want to do was allow postings for things that they deemed to be not movies. Television shows were heavily frowned upon. And I didn't really much care about that; it's a stupid rule - but, whatever! Although, there were a couple of things that they did not like that were not television shows - mini-series and sometimes even movies that were made for television, including cable, etc; and this is true even though they had some mini-series posted on the site. (Such as "Generation Kill".) They made stupid exceptions for some reason(s). I made a request for them to add Carl Sagan's Cosmos mini-series & they deemed it to be a television show because it was aired on television. I informed them of the other mini-series that they allowed on the site & was ignored. It was around this time that I started hearing stories/rumors from some of the people/users that I was friends with on there. Some of them were direct allegations from the users that experienced them, themselves; others were things talked about that were 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th-hand. Stories about the admins being argumentative. Starting arguments, being abusive, ugly stupid criticisms. Cursing, threatening to delete user's profiles/accounts, for, what were described as, disagreements over Flixster policy, requests to make changes were met with outright hostility, some even called it rage. Over what was sometimes referred to as petty disagreements. It seems that most, & perhaps all, of these arguments, between admins & users, had apparently happened in the forums. Anyway, I waited about a month & requested Cosmos again. I got no response. So, after about after 3 weeks, I made another request. That one was ignored, too. I felt like they were doing it on purpose. I waited another month & requested it again. They responded by telling me that they don't allow mini-series on the site and that if I kept making requests for things that they don't allow on the site my profile and account would be deleted. And I was told..."You'll lose everything!" Threats. A very specific and direct threat, in fact. When I told them about Generation Kill they said that it would be removed from the site, reiterating that if I kept making such requests my profile would be deleted... Well, by this time, I had over 5000 movie reviews on Flixster (both ratings with just stars and full reviews) and I didn't want to just lose them all because I didn't want to let it go. At the same time... I knew I was right. And I wanted them to acknowledge that! So, I made the rounds on Flixster's forums' and I practically made an opera about my `crucifixion` and how I wanted an apology! I guess I was to late; by the time I made my way over to the forums the drama had died down. I don't know if any user actually had their profile deleted; but, I had heard that many users' were fed up & deleted their own accounts and left on their own. Ultimately, I never got my apology. It was within a few months time that Flixter was merging with another website..."Violet..."... something or other. And within another couple of months Flixster was dead. It was bought out, I heard, by Rotten Tomatoes, a far, FAR, far inferior website in my opinion; at least based on how good Flixster was in its prime. And I don't know who the administrator that I dealt with was; but, I would probably say something if I crossed paths with them today...

“Terrible”

Glen G.
1/13/18

Redeeming codes is the worst, always making me reset my password. It's time the movie industry stopped making people pay for digital and dvd copies by offering a cheaper alternative. Those who want the extras can pay for it.

customer service (6) movies (34) app (34)
andrewy155
August 25th, 2020

Threats. A very specific and direct threat, in fact.

jonahh7
February 19th, 2013
I like the layout of flixster but the part where you can watch movies, etc online for free is a waste of time because you cant watch older movies.
yvonnem25
April 1st, 2016
Loved this film. So relevant in terms of what is happening to our religious liberty in this country. Story line couldn't be more true. Great acting. Beautifully shot. Awesome music. Loved seeing actors from some of my favorite movies and TV shows in this faith-based film. Jesse Metcalfe always easy on the eyes. Highly recommended for either date night or family outing. GOD'S NOT DEAD! He's surely ALIVE!
gleng17
January 13th, 2018
denisea68
January 17th, 2018
This app is useless now I'm sorry to say. I will have to find an app that is reliable and allows me to add movies to my watch list and then be able to review them. I've lost a lot of data and it doesn't work anymore. I cannot believe how horrible this update is. I would give them a zero rating if I could.
juliaj
September 26th, 2008
My favorite movie community - I used to have Netflix, and one of my favorite features was Netflix.com where I could write little movie reviews and share them with my friends. But I got too busy and canceled my Netflix account, so I nowhere to write reviews. Then I got spammed by one of my friends on Facebook by some app called Flixster. But I'm a sucker for movies, so I clicked on it, and now I'm hooked. All my movie addicted friends joined too, and now we all share reviews and pictures. It's great. I also like their movie quizzes. My only complaint is that I waste way too much time on this... I think I need help!
joshuae32
January 22nd, 2018
The app navigation isn't as practical as it used to be. Tried to Google help and it didn't help. If it aint broke don't fix it.
nancyd108
February 8th, 2017
Now last night I tried to redeem my points, when I tried they said someone already had done it, but tonight I gave it a chance and have it.
pamh84
February 27th, 2018
This app is now useless for looking for whats on in all local cinemas which was how I used it. Also the information, times of shows, ratings and synopsis for each film was easy to find. I don't undestand why the app has changed to make it completely unuseable for purpose. Some imbecile designed it. Maybe I have missed the point somewhere?
barbarad57
March 3rd, 2016
I am glad Flixster exists. There needs to be delivery services and consolidators for UV movies. I like flixster and have had no problems. The negative reviews on this site are unjustified. Keep Flixster alive!
mahmoude12
May 16th, 2018
Both Warner Brothers Digital copy and FlixterVideo are rip off. Make sure before buying any movies with digital copy, you read the label carefully. My kids love watching movies on iTunes but WB Digital Copy only works with FlixterVideo, Which sucks!

WB Digital Support Sucks the most! It is just an email service which sends you the same exact email no matter what you ask.

Booooooooo!
joeg1
April 16th, 2009
Great movie site - Flixster is a community for movie fans to rate movies and share with friends. Its one of the biggest on the web and they have everything from movie lists and quizzes to forums. I love watching the huge library of clips from any movie and seeing the cool skins people create for movies and actors. Also, its fun to browse around and meet other users whose taste is very compatible with mine.
daves455
June 4th, 2018
Flixster used to be my go to app for movies playing and reviews - however since they stopped including Landmark Theaters in my area I have stopped using it. Why would I want to look up shows and movie times in my area on an app that only gives me partial information? I contacted them about this - but nothing. Good bye Flixster!
colek11
February 15th, 2017
This is the third time I have called,,,,, no movies, no help, no refund, or credit, there techs talk you in circles and don't have a clue how to fix,,,, real waste of time, they now what the problem is they just won't share it with you,, if anyone sues I'm in,,, class action law suit,,,,, 100 movies,,, 15 to 20 a pop adds up quick
adama158
July 4th, 2017
I have three movies on ultraviolet. I had to use flixster to watch them. Their software wouldn't let me log in. So to be same I reset my password. Still it wouldn't let me in. So then I made a totally new account still it wouldn't let me in. It literally won't let me watch my movies. So now I'm streaming the movie which I own. Oh and downloading it would have taken 45 mins.

Seriously they are so frustrating. What a waste of life.

Don't waste your time. It's a $#*! company. DONT USE THEM.
keithc143
May 25th, 2018
What happened?!?! Used to be my go to for movie tickets, latest dvd releases, watch trailers... Now it totally sucks! Someone needs to get fired because they have no idea as to what people want. Get a clue.
helenh111
April 16th, 2018
This used to be such a versatile app. Within 2 clicks you could see what was on at your local cinema times and reviews. Now it is utterly useless. I have now deleted a much loved app
fredb172
June 21st, 2018
Just redundant junk. I buy a physical copy but simply want to watch it on iTunes as well. I paid for the digital copy, so how hard can it be? Who is Flixter anyway? It's the sloppiest app I've ever seen.
suep151
August 31st, 2018
Flixster is limiting itself to Marcus theaters as far as 60 miles away and a couple of AMC. No Independent or Landmark theaters much closer. I'm done with Flixster.
sallym84
November 17th, 2017
Used Flixster for years - the new Flixster is totally unusable for me. Three of our local theatres are not even listed now and there seems to be no way to add them. Of the theaters that are on, the new format is very confusing and you cannot see the critic and users ratings easily. I even tried to write a review on their site and it wouldnt send.
Will no longer be using in its present format.
adriand35
April 12th, 2018
Just useless, utter crap. How they are still in business when this is their front end is mystery, one star is one star too many
ivanh47
July 27th, 2018
My go to movie app for the last how many years, just destroyed by latest update. Bye bye flixter. Why do developers insist on this... it worked great, now it doesnt work at all. Might as well be IMDb for all the use it is and I already have IMDb.
lazarog1
March 23rd, 2017
I tried to email support for my passwiord due to changed emails and they will not answer me. It has been many days and still nothing. There live chat is down, and no link. I have dozens of movies and they are lost in this flister showdown. I have requested email change support in the emails sent. I do not know what to do but go all out on the net with the request or report to someone else.
Laz

Tip for consumers: Do not download to this site do it in itunes or somewhere else as you will loose all your digital copies or access to them. you can download and then transfer file to elsewhere.

staleyt
March 15th, 2018
Used it all the time. Now it sucks. Is useless for seeing what is in my local theaters. Am removing app.
nancym246
March 17th, 2018
What happened to this versatile app? I used to use it all the time to find out what was showing in local theatres and now can't see a thing. Really disappointed and have removed the app. Is there anything anyone else is using to replace it?

Well I don't have a solution to streaming but if you have a device that flixster lets you download with I would recommend doing that.

By kaleb e.

I'm unaware of that service. FLIXTER is just generally a terrible "service". Better to use reddit to find good streaming sites. Good luck.

By Leigh m.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Flixster staff and other customers.

The #1 app for movie reviews, trailers, and showtimes.? Editors' Choice app? One of the 40 Best Free for 2011, 4.5/5 stars - PCMag.com? "A terrific app for learning about what movies are playing." - PCWorld.com? Stream and download full-l...

wbultravioletc
WBUltraViolet C.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flixster?

Have a question about Flixster?