Review of FindMyPast

Tel: +1 855-246-8234
support@findmypast.com

futto
11/4/18

At least for some searching for people I did it worked very well (eg. UK electoral role search)

see my review under findmypast.co.uk (same company, as far as I can see)

Note: I cannot personally say anything about what it is like for subscription / paid services.

jesss53
2/18/17

I'm not just going to sit by and let them walk all over people again. They had been charging my grandma for a year even though she asked them twice to cancel her account. I had to intervene and spoke to a customer consultant who was kind enough to refund her for the last 3 months but the fact that I had to intervene in the first place is just disgraceful. My grandma is battling enough scammers, this being a known registered company, has me furious. With their level of customer care, don't even bother!

lillyg3
9/13/15

I found this site really disappointing. It's extremely expensive and I immediately noticed on joining and having full access that it would not be of any use to me. We're talking 10 minutes into paying for the subscription. They refused to refund my money and the terms were very misleading, as was the amount of things in the collecting. Like smoke and mirrors. They would not give me my money back, nor would they credit it towards a future membership when the site was better organized and actually hopefully gets more records The newspaper collection was paltry. In a year on the sit I did not find one single document, or useful thing. It took forever to search for anything even remotely relevant to my actual search terms and unlike US and other Ireland and UK sites ,the search engine brings up a billion unwanted things and there was no way to filter them out. The only way I could search was to leave one window open and keep going back to it to weed through all the un necessary hits. They hardly have anything in their collection that is not available for free through the Irish Government Site Irishgenealogy.ie run by the State of Ireland and Family Search, Roots etc. I was hoping that the newspaper archive would be good and that I might stumble on an obit or document that would help me. I would not recommend this site for anyone who has littel information on one's ancestors. If you have street addresses and trades and lots of biographical detail, it might be useful, but for me trying to find records for the period to 1850 to 1920, with just first names, surnames, baptism and marriage dates to go on and no street addresses or employment details, or Dates of death etc, it was money completely thrown away. I got it on discount when they had an offer and it was still nearly $400 US dollars. I had also hoped for more Cork records and newspaper clipping they hardly had anything, and certainly nothing that I could not get online through various free sites and the country of Ireland's free that has Griffith valuation, and where one can see actual baptism and marriage registers and other immensly helpful records. It may have improved in the last two years or so. But I felt like my experience was criminal as I had looked at only about 6 records when I wrote them and told them, it was not at all going to be use full for me and could I please have a refund or a credit towards a future subscription when their collection had grown. I think for the average US user who's family came during the famine years, there is nothing here for you.

Questions? Get answers from the FindMyPast staff and other customers.

1 Photo for FindMyPast