eChineseLearning reviews

Tel: 1-800-791-9386
service@echineselearning.com

rachelk132
11/22/18

My family is from Malaysia and we are currently living in Canada. It has been difficult to have family members teach our children Mandarin Chinese, mostly because we don't speak perfect Mandarin and the kids want to discuss other things or play, rather than get to work.

eChineseLearning has a special program for kids from families from Chinese heritage families. We did a free trial for both kids with them and then decided to sign up for the lessons due to convenience.

So far, so good! It's convenient and the kids stay focused on the friendly teachers and lessons. Much better than trying to teach them ourselves!

sarahj351
11/11/18

I find it hard to learn anything online. Even in college it just didn't fit me. So when I started learning Mandarin, I thought learning online would NEVER work. I tried eChineseLearning and it was one of the funnest experiences and I looked forward to every lesson I had with Dora, my teacher. She took it really slowly and taught me everything from the tones to how to write the characters. My favorite lesson was the one where we talked about chunjie, the spring festival in China. I highly recommend eChineseLearning to anyone looking to learn Mandarin from the comfort of their own couch!!

Response from eChineseLearning E., eChineseLearning Representative
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for writing the review. We are glad that you enjoyed the class. All the best!
fernp7
11/3/18

I have terrible test anxiety and knew after the HSK 1 that I needed help studying. I just want to thank the teachers for putting me at ease and giving me a structured plan to keep me focused and pass the HSK2 without much sweat this time around.

I will rely on them especially as the tests get harder. They have useful material on their social media groups as well. I just felt supported all the time and enjoy the input the other members of the community add whenever someone has a question.
Again, thanks!

carolae
11/3/18

When my partner and I met we instantly had a connection. While English is a foreign language my Chinese was terrible beyond "ni hao". After reading a recommendation on Quora I decided to try eChineseLearning. I really wanted to connect on a deeper level and after a year of study we are closer and both of us will continue to study our languages to better learn about one another.

Tip for consumers: Be specific about what you want to learn or your reasons for taking Chinese lessons to get tailor-made lessons.

joannay7
10/17/18

After a month of trying to learn Chinese through software, books and apps I realized that I wasn't making good progress. In fact, I was actually repeating mistakes. I signed up for a free assessment test with an online teacher through eChineseLearning. I realized quickly through the feedback from the teacher, that my tones were all wrong.
After this, I considered classes or online tutoring, since it is cheaper than face-to-face tutoring for me here in Colorado. Fortunately, the lessons were great. I am making good progress thanks to the personalized feedback. I make a list of questions and issues I wish to ask the teachers, who speak excellent English.
Overall, very satisfied and will continue with them in the future until I can hit the ground running in China.

Tip for consumers: try a free assessment test

clarel23
10/17/18

I have been trying to pass HSK 5 for a while now. I keep getting stuck with more of the grammar and speaking that is advanced. I couldn't find anything online that really helps with this--gives more instruction around your specific needs, or gaps in Mandarin knowledge. I found eChineseLearning six months ago, and I just passed my HSK 5 test. I honestly wasn't sure it was possible, but thanks to my teacher Dora I am good to go! Thank you so much!

elainek53
8/3/18

Another classmate and I signed up for a half-year of lessons with this company. We weren't getting enough personal speaking time with the teacher. The lessons were a pretty good help for us. Really, the speaking tones were what we needed to improve and this format with the online classroom means we can get feedback immediately and make improvements. It helped us a lot in the end, I think. I'd recommend communicating with the teachers about what issues you're having and focusing on your own needs. That's the nice thing about the personal online lessons!

brunoc60
8/3/18

eChineseLearning.com has been one of the best things I've done this year. I'm so glad I went with this program vs. taking or spending more time and money on language courses in school.

daomond
7/5/18

The trouble with Chinese when you're learning it in the classroom is that you don't always get personal attention. My classmates and I were doing a lot of listening but not enough speaking. Often, the teacher would break us into groups and have us practice speaking with each other, but the tones meant that we were absorbing the speaking mistakes of our classmates.
To get more speaking practice, I worked with a "study buddy" from China enrolled in my uni, but they weren't professional teachers and couldn't quite guide me as well as I wanted.
I heard about online lessons so I signed up for a kind of free test with eChineseLearning. The teacher helped me find my strengths and weaknesses and make a study plan. I signed up for 1-on-1 lessons and my speaking has improved greatly since then. Getting personalized feedback each step of the way has been a real game changer!

Tip for consumers: take a free trial lesson or do a free assessment test before signing up for lessons.

jackk119
4/11/18

Before switching careers from teaching to international trade, I decided to take a year to do some odd jobs and clear my head. During this time, I realized that learning Mandarin Chinese could make a huge difference for my future.
Since I don't live anywhere near a school with Chinese classes, I decided to learn through apps and online lessons. I went with echineselearning based on the strength of their free trial lesson.
I would still like to learn face-to-face in future lessons, as opposed to just the computer. So, I may go to China if the opportunity comes up. However, for the time being, this is the best option to begin Chinese if you're in a situation such as mine.

edwinc48
3/9/18

It's been very difficult for me to learn through classes due to my schedule of traveling for work. I'm often in hotel rooms and airport lounges. I had picked up some books on learning Chinese but found that they were not any help since I wasn't with a teacher or tutor.

A friend recommended this company to me because their daughter was learning Chinese through them. It seems like so many children are learning today, I might as well join in, even though I'm a "grownup". The lessons have been great!

I have taken classes in hotels, cafes, and even at the airport. Of course, I HIGHLY recommend you are in a private space that is quiet, with good Internet connection. In my case, a good pair of headphones with noise cancellation and a built-in microphone helped me understand the teacher and also helped the teacher understand me easily.

Once you've got the equipment and you've singed up, it's all up to you to stay motivated and learn. The teacher do a great job of keeping the lesson fun and personalizing things towards what you need. I highly recommend this process!

shellyw28
1/30/18

Lately I've been teaching English online with children in China. I had the idea of signing our boy, age 8, up for online language lessons. First, I assumed that Spanish would be the most helpful. However, he will have the opportunity to study that for free in school. Plus, so many other young adults are learning Spanish.
After seeing all the opportunity popping up between the US and China, my husband and I decided to go with Chinese lessons. We shopped around a bit and signed up with eChineseLearning. The teachers could make a connection with the student.
Shockingly, our son was so interested in the lessons, that we didn't even have to supervise him. We could go about our day and just remind him to be in front of the computer at class time and the teacher took care of everything. What a surprise!
Overall, it's a great introduction to Mandarin for a young student. He doesn't feel self-conscious or distracted.

jacksonb39
1/6/18

Turns out I was basically wasting my time in Mandarin class at my local community school. I'm not even sure the teacher was Chinese lol
Anyway, I've been hearing more about these online learning classes and I decided to give echineselearning a shot after taking a few free trials with the various online companies.
So far this has been a great experience. I have the class all to myself with the teacher, so if I make any mistakes, they immediately correct me. In a class with other students I rarely got this kind of attention.
Overall, I've made a lot of progress over the past few months and will continue with these lessons. Hopefully, my new language skill will help me develop my career in Asia in the future.
Go for it!

Tip for consumers: Be sure you have good enough Wifi for a Skype video call

joshuag55
12/5/17

I've always had trouble staying focused in the classroom. I signed up for a Chinese class at my local community college but was having trouble focusing, since I wasn't the center of attention and I could drift off.
A classmate recommended taking classes online and set me up with a Free Trial class with his referral code. The class went really well but I was apprehensive to speak even MORE time on Chinese than I already was. Anyway, after some thought I signed up for six months of class. Wow, it really changed things. In the online classroom it's just you and the teacher, so you're constantly speaking. No time to drift off or stare at the clock!
The lessons were actually fun, too. Lots of useful but playful things and a good introduction to Chinese culture. Make sure you have good Wifi before you begin, since you'll be streaming live lessons. You don't want a bunch of dropped classes you're paying for. 10/2 Internet speed should be fine, but higher is better.
Overall, can vouch for them. My classmate was right!

Tip for consumers: take a free trial first

Response from eChineseLearning E., eChineseLearning Representative
Hello joshua,
We are happy to see you here! eChineseLearning try the best to offer funny and useful Chinese lessons for all the learners. Chinese is not that difficult to learn. Thank you for writing the review.
oliviaj28
11/22/17

I took three years of Chinese in China and even spent a month there on a school program to Beijing in my senior year. Then, after graduation I seemed to lose interest in Chinese as I focused on my career as an accountant.
Lately, I've had more free time and I have wanted to focus on learning a new skill. It suddenly occurred to me: Why not get back into Chinese?
What's different from way back 10 years ago when I was in college is that today you can learn 1-to-1 from your own home, or even in a cafe! I'd read about online lessons as I was looking up information online. I took a trial class with eChineseLearning and got along well with the teacher. I wasn't a beginner, and the teacher put me at an appropriate level. The sales team was also not pushy. I decided to go with six months worth of lessons and I'm loving it so far! Highly recommended, as long as you have good Internet connection and a quiet place to learn.

Tip for consumers: take a free trial lesson!

kellyt86
11/18/17

I was referred to eChineseLearning from a friend of a friend who's son was learning Mandarin. I was so impressed by how much they raved about it, I wanted to see what it was really like. My daughter and I took the first free lesson and she responded so well to it, we went ahead and did six months. She looks forward more to her Mandarin lessons than any school or dance classes. I'm thrilled with how she's improving and her performance outside of the classes--i can see she feels more confident in other academic areas because of her ability in this one. So worth it!

paulc326
11/2/17

I started the classes because I've been working in finance over in China for sometime. I finally got sick of being the most inept and ignorant, culturally, in the meeting room. Their lessons for industry-specific Mandarin has been immensely helpful to me. I can now communicate better with partners and clients--and this has created stronger business relationships. I'm glad I went with it and have stuck to it. To my surprise, I'm actually learning the Mandarin.

kristyd3
11/1/17

My children are all in Chinese immersion at our elementary school. My ten year old started late in second grade and was struggling to catch up. I finally decided to try echinese. He has been doing it three times a week for ten months and has improved immensely. He just got his report card and he is now on grade level for speaking and listening. The teachers keep me up to date on how he is doing. He has had three teachers and all of them have been really good. They stay upbeat even when I know my son is sometimes silly and not cooperating. He now knows more than his siblings that started in kindergarten. I wish I would have put him in years earlier so he wouldn't have struggled so much. We had a few times that the teacher's computer wasn't working and they always gave an extra day so we weren't out anything. The only thing I would change is that I would rather pay as we go or monthly and not for a whole year. I would also prefer one or two times a week instead of three because it's hard to fit other things in around it. I do have to schedule in advance as soon as I'm able or i don't get the times we want but it usually works out okay. Now I am thinking of having all my kids do it in the summer.

eunicek6
10/23/17

My Chinese skills have been growing steadily through my university classes and my self-study. However, once I got to the point where I had to have more conversational skills to pass my HSK 4 test, I decided that it was best for me to hire a native-speaking tutor for 1-on-1 lessons. The HSK 4 test requires more conversational skills that are impossible to get through self-study. Therefore, I shopped around my university for a language exchange partner. However, none of the Chinese students I met with knew what the HSK test was!
I then decided to do online lessons with a professional teacher. I took a few trial lessons online and decided to sign up with eChineseLearning's HSK test preparation program. It was great! I was able to trust the teacher's guidance. In addition, the teacher helped me in my self-study to focus on learning the vocabulary and Listening, Reading and Writing skills that would be needed for the HSK 4. I gained great confidence and ended up passing the test. I think it was the confidence that helped the most. That's the kind of reassurance that only learning with a professional can bring!
I highly recommend eChineseLearning for any test preparation you may need, especially for the HSK!

Tip for consumers: Take a free trial lesson first

jimmyr43
9/27/17

Learning Chinese always seemed about as possible as learning to fly!

After listening to a few videos on YouTube about how to introduce yourself I had all but given up on it in my head.

I decided to try an online free trial lesson and the first one I happened to choose was eChineseLearning, since their YouTube videos were so friendly and interesting. My teacher had obviously met many potential students like myself, who had no confidence and were terrified to actually speak Chinese to someone in China.

The free trial lesson left me with a good feeling. I decided to actually consider learning Chinese with the confident that it gave me. After talking to eChineseLearning again a few times, I settled on a shorter set of classes. 6 months later, I extended for another year. Now, about 14 months into my learning with them, I'm actually able to hold basic conversations and take the HSK test to prove that I have the skills and knowledge to maybe soon be considered "intermediate". I can't believe it.

I've also been supplementing my lessons with lots of TV shows, movies and documentaries. I've really gotten into Chinese culture and I hope to travel over there someday when I have the free time.

Overall, I am happy that I could find online lessons that helped me so much. I don't really have time to drive to school and add more commute time to my schedule. In the time that I saved traveling to class, I was able to work some overtime at work, which probably covered the cost of my lessons! Although the price of the lessons may seem high at first, when you consider the convenience and opportunity that knowing Chinese can add to your life....it's really a bargain. Highly recommend :)

Tip for consumers: take a free trial first

anitaw28
9/1/17

My husband and I have been in the process of adopting our daughter, yes--for the past two and a half years. I'm telling you, having these lessons has made the whole thing bearable! I am able to communicate better with all of the key stakeholders who participate in the process, and already know that once we have our daughter she will be taking lessons with Joyce, too. I am so grateful to Joyce for being there for me and my family and helping make this wait worthwhile!

alexag10
8/23/17

For about a year, I've been teaching English to little kids in China. I love it! I became interested in signing my own children up for language lessons online this year. I thought about Spanish and French, but their schools here in Minnesota already offer them. It hit me that they should be learning Chinese to give them an advantage that no other students have around here. I joined my kids as we took some free trial lessons with various companies.
Out of all the choices, eChineseLearning was the best for us. The teachers were cheerful and kept my kids interested and the lessons seemed more personal. Most important, they had a specially-designed program for kids.
After a few months of lessons I'm happy to say that my two kids are both making progress and even becoming interested in China and its culture (they love the animated movies!).
I think online learning is a great, convenient way to learn and I can definitely recommend eChineseLearning to get you or your kids ahead.

spotn
8/16/17

My teacher is there at the appointed times. What more can I ask for? Everything fits in my schedule, and I finally have time to learn this language. It's been three months and progress is good.

amall2
8/2/17

I was really struggling with passing HSK 4. I couldn't figure out what I wasn't understanding--it was getting to be too much to study on my own.I had been able to pass the other levels with school/ university classes, but they weren't cutting it anymore. Joyce, my tutor, has really made all the difference in the world. I took my level in July and passed with flying colors. Couldn't do it without her!

Response from eChineseLearning E., eChineseLearning Representative
Hi Amal, Thank you a lot for your positive review! Congratulations on your great achievement. We are so proud of you and it also encouraged us to make ourselves better. Keep on studying what you like in the future!

Regards,
James Lin
eChineseLearning
devandrak
7/21/17

I've been studying for the HSK for a year, by myself, and I was ready to rip my hair out. Thank goodness I found Joyce here at echinese. She has totally made it 1. FUN for me to learn. 2. Do-able, she really breaks up the learning points so I can understand them and 3. Made me feel like I'm at home with her, I no longer view Chinese as a super foreign language, it feels more familiar now having known her. Highly recommend these lessons, the one to one aspect really makes it.

Response from eChineseLearning E., eChineseLearning Representative
Hi Devandra,

Thank you for your kind words! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience at eChineseLearning. It's also our pleasure to have you join our lessons. Happy learning and all the best!

Regards,
James Lin
eChineseLearning

Questions? Get answers from the eChineseLearning staff and other customers.

3 Photos for eChineseLearning