Review of driveJohnsons

Tel: 0330 124 4877
enquiries@drivejohnsons.co.uk

jb1031
4/9/19

They took the money in cash, refused to deliver the package of lessons as promised, and then refused to refund the full amount. Ashleigh, the office manager, hasn't got a clue! And she refuses to respond to any calls regarding a refund. You've been warned... AVOID!

abielg
4/4/19

My driving instructor decides to let me know this morning on the day of my test that the car has "exploded". Mind you I was driving it yesterday, I demanded my refund from him and now I'm having to wait a whole 2 months before I can book my next test. Devestated is not the word I am feeling right now.

pauls1129
3/25/19

Didn't even bother to turn up for first leason and made excuse he wrote it down for wrong day despite booking weeks in advance

ewelinap3
3/20/19

I Highly recommended Abbas from north west London area. He it's driving Hyundai i30 I was very scared of the size of the car at the beginning as I was driving Kia picianto before and my other instructor left the country with last minute notice so I had to change it. But I'm extremely happy with Abbas he makes me very comfortable and confident driving his car. He it's really good instructor very professional and have a lot of knowledge
Ewelina

dineshg5
2/2/19

Arranged driving lessons for my son who has just turned 17 as a brithday present. Arranged for Saturday lesson and to book a block of 10 lessons. Was let down on the first Saturday as instructor rang shortly before the lesson was due, to say he would not be able to make it as was still completing a lesson elsewhere and wouldn't be able to make it in time. I offered to bring my son to him but he declined. He offered a shorter lesson but added that he would be very tired (!!) having done a lot of lessons already that day. As if i would accept this. All this for This lessons I had booked prior with head office. I phoned head office and they were very apologetic and offered a new regular slot with a different instructor starting the following week. That lesson was expected today but the instructor didn't show up. On ringing head office they informed me there had been a technical glitch with their new electronic diary system which meant that the booking had not been sent to the instructor. Again nothing could be done. My son was very disappointed having been let down by this driving school twice in a row. I will not take this risk again so will now go with a different driving school but feel thoroughly let down. I cannot comment on the quality of their driving instruction as never even got to see it. Sort out your bookings DriveJohnsons! DINESH

stevenr308
1/31/19

I work for an IT company and I can see a few fake negative reviews on here. Anyway, my experience was good. driveJohnson's were accommodating when it came to my specific availability - lunch times only. Instructor was very good, new his stuff - big shout to Pete for helping me pass first time in Bedford.

Passed in 18 hours of lessons - Boom!!!!!

laurens322
1/3/19

Please avoid DrirveJohnson's who are unprofessional and just outright dodgy. I paid in advance for 10 lessons. My driving instructor said inappropriate things and was either late or never showed up for agreed appointments. I decided to cancel my remaining lessons and requested a refund for them. DriveJohnson's refused me a refund saying that their instructors are self employed and advised me that since starting my lessons my instructor no longer works for the company and therefore they cannot give me a refund. This has left me out of pocket by over £150. They should be ashamed of themselves.

sandras440
8/27/18

Only use this company if you want to spend hours on phone booking lessons that are then cancelled anything from a day before to an hour before the actual lesson and after wasting three weeks trying to get a lesson to then get told that they don't actually have any instructors for your postcode after all. Horrendous customer service.

daphnez1
3/17/18

Absolutely rubbish! Paid for a block of 20 hours, and was assigned an instructor. I was then informed that this specific driver was no longer with the company (but then later found out that he had actually been dismissed from the company 1 month prior to being assigned to me). When I phoned up to ask for a new one, I was told that my payment is currently sitting with the old instructor, and wait for it... I have to wait until he returns the payment before I can be given a new instructor. I was not accepting this bull, so I told them that I just want a refund, and they told me that my money is with the old instructor, the issue is now out of their hands, and I must chase him up myself (do I even have his details) WTF!!!

danielled92
3/15/18

What a fantastic school, I was allocated a instructor with drivejohnsons after failed attempts with previous schools, after on 12 hours I was put forward for my test in which I passed. I can not thank drivejohnsons enough. Highly recommend this school.

daveye3
3/15/18

Been learning with John for just 3 months and already in for my test, his teaching is amazing and always makes you feel at ease in lessons and is very helpful!

charlieb95
12/16/17

I took a 20 hour intensive course and passed first time thanks to my instructor Paul Stack in Luton.

I learn't with AA, RED and driveJohnson's was by far better. Although Paul wasn't critical of my previous experience with the other companies - I know what he was thinking. I learn't F All with them.

Massive thanks again to Paul and the staff at Dj for getting me an earlier test.

johnnyr41
12/16/17

I decided to learn with driveJohnson's as 3 of my friends passed first time with them.
I had a bad experience before so I wanted the next move to be the right one.

I certainly made the right move, I took a 20 hour course and passed first time!
Instructor was so good he even predicted the test route I would get correct.

Tip for consumers: They know the test routes and won't waste your time!

jordans83
9/1/17

Instructor was deplorably organised and very hard to ever get hold of to book a lesson. When it came to the test, he not only tried to take me at the wrong time despite knowing weeks in advance when and where it is, but also took me to the wrong centre leaving me out of pocket without a chance to do the test. Drivejohnsons refused any responsibility of their employees. Terrible service. AVOID.

kevr1
5/22/16

I started taking lessons again after a 2 year gap from one of the other larger driving companies. My previous instructor was great from that company, but I had lost his contact details so couldn't resume with him. So I thought I'd give a relatively smaller independent company a go. Came across DriveJohnsons' youtube channel and was impressed (naive much) with what I saw and decided to give them a whirl.

I should have paid closer attention, there were tell tell signs during my first lesson that something wasn't quite right. Firstly my driving instructor was due to pick me up at 12.30pm, text me an hour before the lesson to say that he was going to be late and if I could do 1.30pm instead. Little did I know that this would turn out to be a regular occurrence. So he picked me up got chatting and I explained to him that I am a nervous driver and need to build up my confidence etc. The first lesson had no structure, there wasn't any focus on trying to tackle and learn about say roundabouts or bay parking or clutch control etc. No. Just general driving. By the end of the lesson he was like, 'see that went well, you are not a bad driver'. Not going to lie, this made me feel great. However, a good informative instructor will always back up his positives with things that they observed that you need to work on. If they sense you are weak on clutch control or roundabouts, then what they will say is, 'ok for the next lesson we will be tackling this until you are confident enough and then we will move on to this- but for now don't worry you are quite capable of driving well'. But there was no structure to any of the lessons, it was just general driving and every now and then we would do a manoeuvre, maybe once or twice, then we'd move on. At the time I thought this was normal, it is only now that I've changed driving instructors that I know it is not.

His time management was woeful to say the least. If it was an afternoon lesson, he would always delay it by half an hour. By the end of our time together- 6 months (had a 4 week holiday inbetween)- we changed the lesson time to 8am. This time though, he never delayed the lesson but would turn up at 7.40am expecting me to be ready. And instead of finishing the lesson at 9.40am, he would finish the 2 hour lesson at 9.20am! By the time the lesson was over I was so exhausted from driving that whenever I was meaning to confront him on this issue, I would forget and be glad to be home.

Earlier this year he stated that I was ready to book my test, even though something told me I wasn't, but being the naive fool that I am I booked it. This was when things really started to go from erratic to horrendous. Twice he never turned up to the appointed lesson at 8am in the morning. The first time I let it go because he said he was ill. However, the second time I sent him a reminder the morning of the lesson saying that I will be paying him that day, he replied back to me apologising saying that his alarm clock did "go off" and that my text was the thing that "woke him up" and if I could reschedule the lesson to that afternoon. Which I could not do as I'm a working adult and I had things to do that day! He would then continue to do this several times, rearranging MY scheduled lessons because a few of his pupils were "parents" and had to arrange child care needs for there kids, so he would sacrifice my lessons to book theirs in in my time instead!

When we did eventually have lessons, he would then constantly forget to do mock tests with me and would apologise and promise to do it the next week, then forget again. When I did request extra lessons from him within the week, even going as far to book a few days off work to do them, he would get back to me late saying he couldn't do them because he had to wait for his pupils to rearrange their times before getting back to me. but he had no problem rearrange MINE to accordate others! I finally lost it with him (I know I should have lost it ages ago) when he didn't turn up to my last lesson. And when I rang him to ask why, his excuse was that he was in St Albans because his other pupil had a last minute test rescheduled to then. So he could not have told me this earlier, at least a DAY before I would wake up early for my scheduled lesson?

I finally plucked up the courage to email drivejohnsons and demand a refund of the remaining lessons I had with him, and i made it abundantly clear to them that I no longer wanted anything to do with him or the company. A day after sending them that email, the driving instructor then proceeded to constantly call my phone. I listened to the voicemail he left and he stated that he was instructed by the office manager at Drivejohnsons to call me and arrange a refund directly with me! I sent a furious email back to DriveJohnsons saying and I quote "I see no reason why I should have to have- what will inevitably be- an awkward conversation with the instructor I no longer want teaching me; and explaining to him why I no longer want him to teach me. It is a rather dubious situation to put a customer in to say the least."

To which the office manager replied back to me saying that she will handle the refund herself. Well common sense prevails then.

You might be thinking why I stayed with this driving instructor if I was having all these problems with him and the company. I mainly put this down to my own stubbornness and fear that if I were to change driving instructors that I might fall further behind in my learning. Luckily though I have changed and it is the best decision I have ever made. My new instructor is amazed that I spent all that time with drivejohnsons and I still haven't done certain tricky test routes that are a must to do before the test. Seems like drivejohnsons were just making life easier for themselves and dragging out my lessons and taking my money.

Long and short of it is - AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID! I am seriously considering reporting them to BBC's Watchdog as well!

adams101
7/8/14

Great company, great service, amazing instructors!! I'm so pleased i used drivejohnsons. They go above what i expected and even gave me free access to their theory website which helped me pass my theory test. My instructor was really great and he helped me get passed first time in a matter of months (i didn't want something too intensive). I would recommend them to everyone!!

They are a legit company, but they take your money and don't provide the driving lessons.

By J B.
Questions? Get answers from the driveJohnsons staff and other customers.

driveJohnsons?