Review of Dell.ca

Tel: 1-800-999-3355

johnn578
1,028 helpful votes
5/28/19
My first Dell was purchased in 2006. I have experience. I'm an IT "wiz (whiz)". I'm not a teenager. I've purchased four Dell computers in 13 years, and I'm finally speaking up.

ISSUE 1 - Pricing
Dell has always built a relatively solid product. However, this is no longer 1990 where you "get what you pay for". Now it's about cost and value, plain and simple. Dell no longer supplies a valuable commodity at decent prices. If you follow a specific 2 or 3 computers for two months, you'll see what I mean - various prices and swapping of components to make you seem like you are getting more value, but in reality the corporation swaps inferior components for the same price.
Example: NVidia makes two version of the GTX 1060, 3GB and 6GB models. Dell routinely swaps one for the other AT THE SAME PRICE without notice to the consumer.

ISSUE 2: Lying (Foreign) online sales agents
If you visit Dell.ca and talk to a sales person online to "get a deal" they will quote you specific items in chat, then pressure you to immediately call them to close the deal. Who does that in this day and age of comparative shopping?!?
Example: I asked three different sales agents (who are clearly from India based on timing and language) to send me a quote based on our chat "deal". I either (a) never receive a quote, or (b) receive a quote that is totally different (ala above example swapping a 3GB video card for a 6GB video card AT THE SAME PRICE).

End result: Dishonesty, poor pricing, extremely poor value vs. their US counterpart (take a look at Black Friday sales on Dell.Com vs. Dell.CA and you'll see what I mean - even with the $$ exchange rates).

Final point: Dell Canada used to make a great product for great value. Now their warranties are under-covered, prices are too high, and components are substandard.

2019 UPDATE:
Dear fellow readers,

Let me be clear - I've been a long-time supporter of Dell products - and still am.

Every product, but 1 (that's 4 total), that I've purchased has been a stellar performer. In fact, I'm still using a 13-year old computer on which I write this.

However - BE WARNED. Once DELL has your money, if you want it back, you will suffer dearly.

I ordered a laptop in 2011 - it came DOA (Dead On Arrival, for you non-techies). I called Dell, and they informed me that I would have to be processed through their warranty department.

To coin a pop-culture phrase, "Wait, What?"

I just purchased a brand-new product, which has never operated, and has been in-hand for less than an hour, and I have to return this via the WARRANTY department?!? I think not. I returned the laptop under their 30-day no hassle return, AND got a significant deal to buy another (better) laptop at the same price. That laptop I still use to this day (2011-2019). Unfortunately, it took me about 5 hours on the phone, with numerous people, and then an additional 5 weeks to get there.

Fast forward to 2019. I'm ready for a new (gaming) desktop. Great item on-sale, on-line. I order based on the 5-8 day delivery timeframe posted on their site. Here ensues the circus of failure that is commonplace to Dell.

1. Ordered on August 5. Once I click "submit" on my order, the website-advertised 5-8 day delivery instantly changes to 11-14 (with a delivery date of 28 August - by my counting, that's 17 BUSINESS DAYS, not 11-14). OK, I've waited a few years, I can wait an extra two weeks.

2. August 9 - I see the exact same desktop with a 200% better video card, identical computer, for the same price. I contact Dell to indicate I would like the better deal. No big deal, seeing as my delivery date is 4 weeks out, right? WRONG, they cannot change the order, but offer me $50 credit for my inconvenience. I decline, indicate that the price for the different video card is around $200, so I would like my computer to have the same deal. End result, I need to cancel my order and re-order the new one.

3. I cancel the order on Aug 9, Service Request submitted (after the online form "conveniently" goes to a Page Not Found, and after fighting with the chat agent for 20 minutes.

4. August 12. My order has shipped. "Wait, What?" how can it have shipped 7 days after I submitted my order, 3 days after I requested a refund for a non-complete system?!?? I contact them by phone AND chat. "Sorry, we cannot process your refund because the order has been, or is, in production and is, or is preparing to be, shipped".

You're joking, right?

DELL: "But do not worry, after the order is received, you can return it, and 10-15 days after it is re-stocked, you can receive a refund".

Here's the caveat - after the order is shipped, you have to pay a "re-stocking fee". Yes, that's right - I have to pay a fee for a computer I don't want, cancelled BEFORE it was shipped - but they shipped it anyway.

DELL: "Do not worry. We will contact the shipper and have the shipping cancelled. We will then re-stock the item and you can receive a refund in 10-15 business days".

"Wait, What?" You're going to make me wait essentially a MONTH, for a refund on a computer I did not want, cancelled the order of, and will never receive or sign for?

How is any of this fair, equitable, or good customer service in any way!??!?

It isn't.
marcels31
2/6/19
Battery is swelling (expanding). No way to get a new battery from them. No service, no warranty. Paid more than $2,500 for that computer now unusable on battery.
sarahw25
3/11/12
My experience with Dell was fantastic. I ordered my laptop on a Thursday afternoon, it was shipped by Friday and at 9:00am on the Monday, I had received my system in perfect working order. I'm using it now, and I couldn't be happier.

Questions? Get answers from the Dell.ca staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Dell.ca