Review of Codecademy

Codecademy reviews

kevinc498
10/17/18

I would stay away. I just completed their Java Course. It is no where
near a complete course. There are far superior courses online. And you
don't have to pay for them. I'm so disappointed. Im not sure if the Prop gives you any other lessons. But why pay when there are far more superior courses such as Edx, Stanfords CS106a. If you do CS106a, Make sure you use Professor Mehran Sahami's lectures. The other Professors are not as good.Kevin Crawford

davidk725
9/28/18

I should say the design of the site is pretty user-friendly. However, the contend is poorly written -- full of typos and repeating sentences, etc. -- to the point that it confuses the reader. That is pretty bad for beginners who wish to learn coding. And even for paying customers, who theoretically can ask personalized questions, never get respond to any questions asked. So maybe you can try the free version, but it's not worth paying for it. It's not like there are no high quality (even free) alternatives available.

christiana80
8/6/18

This site it way to buggy to be a 4 or higher. I would finish code and hit save to later go back and see it did not save. This site would always ask if i was 'still learning' when i was in the middle of typing. The learning exercises are ok, but not the best.

grizzg
6/8/18

First off, let me say that I am relatively new to coding. Been working on it for about two months, off and on, all I have done is basics to HTML and Python (and about 15-16 pages of notes)... that being said, my review is just from a new user/Python perspective.

So Code Academy was initially very appealing. I was getting badges, it saves your progress, offers hints and solutions, it seemed very inviting/easy to get started learning about things, it essentially has training wheels (and I needed those a bit) and most importantly in was free.

But imagine a free sample in a grocery store. You plop it in your mouth and are initially satisfied, but then it tastes awful. You start gagging, you double over and everyone around you stops their carts to look at you. After crumpling to the floor, blue faced, you contemplate "should I buy this product?" That is exactly how my experience went. I was thinking about paying for Code Academy over the summer when I would have more time to work at the lessons, but the more I did them in my down time, the more it became like I was a debugger getting paid $0 an hour. I started encountering lesson ruining elements every single step of the way. Needless to say, I am not considering that option anymore.

Essentially the free sample sucks and you have to make it good for people to want to buy your product. Now let me say why I came to this conclusion in my experience.

1 - Lack of Community
I understand that there are some elements I probably would not get till I pay but at the same time the community seemed bleak and disconnected. I made a number of posts on the forums, staying highly positive, and I never got a helpful reply. I had staff hide my posts a couple of times though... oh, I did get one response, but it was essentially trying to crush my enthusiasm, and well yeah, the community was a real let down.

2 - Poorly Designed Lessons
I have a Master's in Education and I have taught for seven years. Lesson planning is kind of a big thing for me. That being said I cannot tell you how many times the instructions said something along the lines of "Why don't you try using (thing you have never learned or been taught before)." Literally, a number of lessons ask new coders, such as myself, to use things in lessons that they never introduced in the first place. This really really a simple lesson planning 101 flaw that could easily be corrected, but alas it has not.

3 - Lackluster Hints and Support
Again, being new to coding, when I have somebody saying syntax error to my face, I do not know what I need to fix. Now Code Academy has one great feature (until it is not)... the "Solution" button. After enough banging your head into a wall, you can click to see the solution, an exemplar, which is great for learning purposes... but even this is broken in the later lessons. All of a sudden perfect answers have errors and there is absolutely no explanation for that. Also you can click on hints for the problem you are on and in a number of hints I have gotten "have you tried adding numbers?" or a comment of the sort (no, I am not kidding, most of the hints are nigh insulting). I have found a couple of solutions through the forums, but remember my first point...

4 - Bugs
Just a ton of them. I have had lessons where I type "f*** this buggy a** lesson" and I get a check mark and moved onto the next page. Now their staff seems to be fixing things, but I have also heard that there are probably more fixes beyond the "pay wall." Again, from above, the free sample has to be good otherwise you will get users like me fleeing Code Academy.

So do not get me wrong, I think it is great to have a free resource out there and I got a basic knowledge of some coding principles from this, I am thankful to Code Academy for this. I also hope that they use my review and others to improve their service, but when it comes to the quality of the service, I am seriously doubtful that the things I am learning are actually correct because the service is so flawed, so so flawed, that I have a hard time figuring out if it is me or Code Academy.

All in all, this means Code Academy is a great place to get your feet wet, but not a great place to stay. I am looking into Khan Academy, Udemy, Coursera, EdX and others to see what else I can do to further my learning.

karenl176
2/4/17

I'm a freshman in college majoring in Software Engineering. I've taken a Java course and a C course so far, but I wanted an extra resource to help me get better at programming. I turned to Codeacademy and upgraded to pro. It was easy at first, but the courses breezed through the lessons without going in depth much. I got to conditionals, which are easy and enjoyable for me. I filled out one of the exercises and it kept telling me I was wrong. I knew I wasn't, I've used conditionals many times, and even filled in the exact example they were giving me. Still wrong. I gave up and the code they gave me in the answer was the exact same as mine. What the $#*!? This happened many times. I got very frustrated and asked for a refund, knowing this was not going to work for me. They gave me a refund, but then charged me again and took my money. I emailed them about it and their customer representative was rude and the customer service was $#*!ty. They did nothing about it, still don't have my refund. $#*! Codeacademy!

jamesp199
1/12/16

A great online resource, Check it out if you want to learn programming. Free information, cant beat it

azizh1
2/11/15
gregk13
10/24/14

The site's content and ability to learn is great; however, it's difficult to learn when you can't advance due to server overload issues. For a site that lists many investors, this seems like a fundamental SaaS company priority. I would like to continue using it in the future but this needs to be fixed. I understand this is a free product to use but there are still operational benchmarks to be met. If it helps, I was using the Python tutorial and saw the note on that tutorial and a few others that have this issue.

edwind7
10/15/14

Codecademy.com is an extremely helpful site for students who want to improve their computer science knowledge. This website helped me a lot to improve my computer science knowledge in theoretically and coding. From this site I got easy tips for basic programming languages. I really thankful to this wonderful website

joen21
8/29/14

Codecademy.com is wonderful site .This website helped a lot to improve my computer science knowledge in theoretically and coding. It is an excellent teacher for programming code. So it is best companion for computer science students

stevenr56
3/29/14

This site is how I learned javascript and python. It's fun extensive IDE is the best way to experiment and have fun!

jonahp8
10/2/13

Totally awesome site. It helped so much. Very user friendly.

dfasfsdafs
4/7/13

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<header>
<title>The best coding teacher you can find around!<title>
<header>

<body>
I know how to read these codes now and edit them for my need
It's awesome!

chrisj34
3/8/13

A lovely website to begin web programming.

aaronm7
7/13/12

I stumbled across this site sometime ago. As a professional developer I didn't have much need for it but liked what they were trying to do. I have recommended it several times to others who have asked how to get started. If nothing else it will give them a feel for programming.

Recently my son became interested in learning how to program and so I had him read a little then pointed him to codecademy.com. He is so excited he let me know last night that he had completed his fourth lesson on the JavaScript track. He turns 12 this month and is starting to program, the same age I started at when my parents brought home a TI99/4a.

marcusd1
5/26/12

Perfect site to learn programming basics and some elementary coding, but they need to work on the content some. I wouldn't have launched this site until I had built up a good deal more content than it now has, but it is a good site. Easy to find my way around on it. Looks good.

bobj21
1/12/12

If I could, I would give this site 4.5 stars. The half star would only be removed because there isn't a great deal of content. The catch is that there isn't a great deal of content YET.

This site is very clean, smooth and entertaining if you would like to pick up a new coding/programming skill or refine an old one. It is very interactive and ad-free. I will be bookmarking and visiting frequently, anxious for new classes!

REASONS TO USE:
[1] You would like to learn how to program
[2] You would like to brush up on skills you used to have
[3] Clean, ad-free

REASONS TO LOSE:
None.

rodg
1/11/12

Taking a class and learning something new is typically a boring process and while many people have tried to make educational games in the past, very few companies have truly succeeded in this market. Wouldn't it be great to learn to learn a new skill by playing a game? codecademy.com is making learning how to code into a gaming experience and from the nearly 100K users they have signed up, they are doing a great job. If you are looking to learn javascript, I highly recommend checking it out. Makes me think of rosetta stone for the coding world.

ianm11
8/19/11

I have always found learning computer languages hard. Most will. But this site makes learning JavaScript so much easier and it's really fun. This site is so easy to understand that a computer newbie should be able to understand it. I've bookmarked this site. Its well worth a look at for those interested.

Questions? Get answers from the Codecademy staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Codecademy