Change.org

Change.org has a consumer rating of 2.27 stars from 115 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Change.org also ranks 1st among Petition sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 9.1%

No positive highlights yet

• I didn't understand why I received a Thank you for becoming a member email after a typical petition signing.
  • They started a recurring charge on our credit card and luckily we noticed.
How would you rate Change.org?

“Pretty good”

Karin M.
8/2/20

I like that it has a Search function. Most others don't. I can search before starting ANOTHER petition on the same topic. Lots of Canadian content too!

“DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM”

Marilia S.
5/21/20

As a petition signer, to help a particular cause, I am asked to share or contribute financially, I choose to share it, then I am asked to sign more petitions, not one or two but 10 more petitions. It's a waste of peoples time to have to read throughout 10 more different petitions to be able to decide if it's something you want to get involved with or not. Please stop this harassment. Bottom line is it completely defeats the purpose of the program in my opinion.

petition (58) credit card (6) paypal account (3) email address (3)
marilias3
May 21st, 2020
marilynj106
August 7th, 2020
I signed up to donate for a one time only. It is every month now, and I can't get anyone at this Change.org to help me get this resolved at all. I finally contacted my credit card they were withdrawing this from, and they are going to investigate this situation, as well stop any further withdrawals. It's too bad it had to come to this, as I donated with good intention to help a cause..
bibis12
May 25th, 2020
Very disappointed. I donated to a petition to help. This was a one off donation. Next thing I know my account is debited the following month. Thieves. Shady and untrustworthy.
jackiea115
April 28th, 2020
As so many others have found, having donated £10 to supposedly move a petition up their listings I noticed a further £10 taken out of my paypal account this month. Have unsubscribed and received confirmation from Change.org to that effect but will be checking monthly because I now don't trust them. Don't even want to give one star!
timothym493
May 13th, 2020
Be careful when contributing to a cause on this site. I thought I was making a one time contribution to promote one cause but to my dismay, there was another charge the next month. I looked back through my junk mail and right after I got the email thanking me for my "one time contribution" there was another email welcoming me as a member and reading further in the email it thanked me for a monthly reoccurring payment. I did not authorize nor would I have authorized a monthly payment. I do not have the kind of money to contribute monthly.
So be careful. I personally would not take the chance. I will never contribute to this site again.
deeh147
July 23rd, 2020
I donated to a cause I believed in. Did not sign up for recurring monthly payments. Followed instructions on how to cancel. Went to settings + membership. Membership tab says I need to contribute to join. I'm already a "member!" I emailed several times, first time I got a "catch all" do not repy another time they emailed me back the original email they sent me thanking me for donation. I even called the Change.org telephone number that was listed on my credit card statement. Of course a voicemail saying you can't leave a message. I ended up contacting my credit card company to put a stop to unauthorized monthly recurring payments.
davidm3589
May 21st, 2020
Two years ago I made a single donation via Change.org. I don't even remember what it was about. Nothing until 6m ago when random $10 debits appeared on my Paypal statements. I have checked my Paypal account and found that there was a monthly debit set up. But $10 was not being debited monthly, only at apparently random intervals.

My advice: have nothing to do with change. Porg, and pass it on.
lucyy2
October 18th, 2015
I'm sorry, but a lot of the you posting reviews here are being ignorant... Change.org is not posting these petitions themselves. In reality, any user that signs up can create a petition about any cause. There are even ones you don't agree with, but you don't have to sign them.

And no, not all of the petitions on Change.org are about unimportant things. If you browsed around the website you would see that.

I admit I don't know the website well enough to say I know everything about it, but I've been using it for a couple years and have known about it even longer. I have not had too many problems besides the fact that they send out quite a few emails and you have no say in how many they should send to you per week/month. They may be selling your information, but because I use Gmail I receive none of the spam and therefore don't really pay attention. You might not be unchecking the boxes that say you want to receive emails from the organization that started the petition, but that is not called 'selling your information'. That would be your fault.

I agree this website needs a LOT of improvement. Currently, the only way to contact Change.org is by filing a help ticket. And to find out where is not very user friendly. To file a help ticket on Change.org scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'help' on the very bottom. In the top corner of the screen you will see 'submit a request' (this method is subject to change).

The only way to share your suggestions through website is if they ask you to take a survey. You could also send your suggestions as a help ticket (which I did and they said their thanks and "I will pass this on to our product team for review and consideration.")

I really hope they decide to improve their website and make it more user friendly.
karinm73
August 2nd, 2020
Lots of Canadian content too!
cindym91
December 16th, 2019
I started a petition to make Florida a No Kill State for shelter animals---I invested time and money to do blasts and had over 4000 signatures. Change.org all of a sudden, and with no notification, removed my petition and refuses to answer my emails. Not quite sure how this could possibly offend any decent human being. Bec Wilson, Fbien Chazot, Danny Moldovan, Mike Jones, Ben Rattray and Mark Dimas: What the hell is going on over there!?
bobs232
April 12th, 2020
If you are just looking for numbers for your petition and have the money to promote it then change.org's computers, robots and artificial intelligence will provide that for you. But if you are looking for quality and actually expect a human being at their organisation to help then you'll be clean out of luck. I started a very Canada-specific petition. So where were our paid promotion dollars directed? Well to the US and UK of course. After getting nowhere with a series of customer service people, I e-mailed CEO and founder Ben Rattray. He was on paternity leave but referred me to the company's acting CEO who told me, and I quote, "When a petition gets paid promotion it should only be shown to people from the same country as the promoter." Great, just what I would expect. So back to a customer agent who basically tells me that the acting CEO gets confused about details and has it all wrong. The actual policy he said, and again I quote is "... the investment promotes the petition all over the platform for any english speaker who can find it." He then added "However, now that you know you can request for your signatures to be limited geographically." So I make the request, only to be told by yet another different customer service agent that "Paid promotions work very different and we can't limit the promotion to just Canada at this point."

This joke of an organisation is interested in one thing and one thing only: making money. And they must be making tons of it off the backs of sincere people who are passionately trying to promote the cause they believe
In. Are you listening 60 minutes? Time to expose them for what they are.
nickg23
August 31st, 2013
Whilst I have signed several petitions that are worthwhile causes I refused to sign one recently as I felt there was a hidden agenda and other implications which were not shared openly with us. I felt that the owner of the petition had their own personal agenda which they were not making clear to us deliberately. I would advise not To just blindly sign anything that appears a moral black-and-white but to be careful what you wish for as the saying goes. If the information is not explain clearly either on change.org or on a parent website then do not sign. This will lead to more transparency and help us make up our own minds. As I say I have signed many petitions which are worthwhile but beware of hidden agendas. As regards change.org themselves there is a web page that appears after you sign Asking if I you would like to spend a considerable sum to petition other persons who may or may not sign it. This is crass and exploitive marketeering and a charitable platform should not be used to make a profit. Reject it immediately. We are trying to help people not line their pockets. Good but be careful
pamelad256
December 6th, 2019
I was a target of a personal attack campaign after I successfully received a harassment order against another. Several 3rd party people worked together to create a defamation petition full of lies. I sent all my legal supporting documents to change and it took over two weeks for them to pull the petition. The process for contacting them was difficult and with a slow response time. This site can be used to really HARM people.
kellyt494
April 21st, 2020
The Ruth Chris Steak House Petition is BAD AND MISLEADING! What they aren't telling people is how they had to Lay Off all of their employees but they are STILL PAYING THEM THROUGH THE COVID 19 SHUT DOWN! SHAME ON YOU J HOWARD FOR BEING SO IGNORANT! OUR DAUGHTERS HAVE WORKED THERE FOR YEARS
nathana103
February 29th, 2020
I am absolutely infuriated by this organization. What the other people are saying here is true. I thought I was donating 1 time and find my credit card is being charged monthly.
jeffd396
April 15th, 2020
I signed a petition that was advertised on Twitter. The petition was on change.org. There was a solicitation for contributions that popped up and it looked like it was to support the petition cause. It said with my contribution they can reach more supporters. However, after I made my contribution, I discovered the contribution went to change.org as a "membership fee", and doesn't show any connection to the petition organization I wanted to specifically support! In addition, they automatically make it a monthly contribution! We all understand that they want to get paid but I feel this was either a very sneaky miss-representation and a poor business model.
alains14
March 24th, 2019
Whatever money you 'donate", goes to change.org itself. Also you end up subscribing for monthly payments and its very hard to unsubscribe.
They pretend to be a no-profit, but they actually harvest money by making you think you're donating to a cause, while everything goes to them. You do not only pay for them to advertise these petitions, they also sell your data to companies which will start sending campaigns based on your political believes. It's a fraud!
alannab40
November 16th, 2019
Is kinda of fun to use. I enjoy it! Easy to use but really good! Stop saying negative things about it.
dianas356
December 7th, 2019
Like other people in this site I am very disappointed with this "organization". Like many of you I signed up for a petition and did my contribution for that particular petition, I ended with a monthly payment charge. Canadian MasterCard refuse to help me because in their opinion this a " reputable institution" and what are they doing is consider a legal action. If you decide to help be aware it is so difficult to get rid of them. If they are legal they should change this fraudulent way to get peoples money.
vijayk104
June 13th, 2020
Don't get impressed by bogous websites. Who use name's of our hero's and appeal you. I appeal all of you to verify reviews before you sign any petition.
ronp208
October 22nd, 2019
This is a scam. I got charged for 4 months after signing their petition and did not get any confirmation or receipt of donation.
mingc7
December 11th, 2019
Anyone can use any email address to create and sign petitions. Once your email address is in their system you are spammed forever.

Why is it that anti spam laws do not apply to unethical organizations that refuse to implement email verification?
jeanf80
July 22nd, 2018
This company is not a not for profit as their name suggests and they have a record of unscrupulous and biased business practices. To unsubscribe - they make you create an account so they can sell your eMail address. I'm not happy about being duped by this company. I will be much more careful if I decide to put my name on another petition. My inbox is filling with petitions that are mostly politically motivated and the majority do not align with my values.
raquelr14
January 10th, 2018
I signed a petition for a grieving widow who couldn't access her husband's face book account and regretted it within minutes. I've since received multiple scam emails, donation requests, and requesting personal info from me. Signer Beware! The more signatures, the more profit goes to uncharitable affiliations... not cool. What a big mistake and nightmare! Now I cannot unsubscribe.
dirkm34
October 3rd, 2018
I made a payment of $30 to contribute to Kate McKenzie
I believed this would go to her assisting in medication she requires. Unfortunately my contribution went directly to Change.org. Not as expected or wanted
Have asked to be refunded and have had no response at all to my emails or requests.
This is a scam please be aware.
Dirk McDonald

They don't let you go until doing a donation, what looks a one time donation ended in a monthly fee. The credit card refuse to take action because what are they doing is consider legal.

By Diana S.
See more answers (3)

Go to this page https://tinyurl.com/y32mnwor You will find full instructions there.

By Eric R.
See more answers (2)

SCAM? Absolutely! Stay clear if you don't want to be robbed.

By Candy S.

The reason why there are so many bad reviews is either they dont like it or they had no idea how to use it

By Alanna B.

Hello Agness - what a wonderful question! Change.org's mission is to empower people everyone to make the change they want to see in the world. Here's a link with more information about who we are and what we do: https://www.change.org/about. Our help team is always available at help.change.org if you have any questions for us.

By Zo S.,

Hello Jean - thank you for your interest in promoting a petition on Change.org. Our site is secure and your information will only be shared with our payment processors. Here is a link with more information about our privacy policy https://www.change.org/policies/privacy.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joseph - thank you for participating in a campaign on Change.org! You can see the petitions you have signed by logging into your account and choosing 'Profile' from the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. There you will see all of the petitions you have signed (please note that this is only visible when you are viewing your own profile). If you have any questions, please contact us at help.change.org.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Change.org staff and other customers.

We live in an amazing time, when the opportunity to make a difference is greater than ever before. Gathering people behind a cause used to be difficult, requiring lots of time, money, and a complex infrastructure. But technology has made us more connec...

zos8
Zo S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Change.org?

Have a question about Change.org?