Change.org

Change.org has a consumer rating of 2.14 stars from 133 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Change.org most frequently mention credit card problems. Change.org ranks 1st among Petition sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.7%

No positive highlights yet

• I didn't understand why I received a Thank you for becoming a member email after a typical petition signing.
  • They started a recurring charge on our credit card and luckily we noticed.
How would you rate Change.org?

“Website is alright, helpers are fantastic!”

Nolina C.
12/12/20

I recently (jokingly) made a petition about a friend of mine, and a worker named max contacted me and gave some advice because it wasn't a clear joke petition, And I said sorry mine is a joke petition, he said no need to apologize and went on as usual, I said oh your not a bot? And he was very friendly and I cracked a joke, and he went with it to make the awkwardness of a stranger texting you go away, I loved max, he was wonderful! Will use the site again and hope me and max are in contact someday again to check on how he's been.

“Does Not Make Petitions Visible”

Michael M.
2/10/21

This site does not make your petitions visible unless you pay them a huge amount of money, yet somehow petitions for trivial issues like renaming streets get hundreds of thousands of signatures, but not my petitions against child abuse or terrorism, which I have shared dozens of times to no avail. Think they are blocking my account because it has been months and barely any signatures. Do not give money to this scam site.

petition (64) credit card (7) paypal account (3) email address (3)
michaelm576
February 10th, 2021

siddhanthr
September 21st, 2020

There are so many Religious and cultural problems also within the society. Many activities are going on within the society which insults and misinterprets a religious and Cultural doctrines in the name of Secularism and Atheism.
But the problem is that the Voice of people who advocates the religion and culture are not recognized by many institutions and NGOs. The Change.org too fail in the given context. There is no separate opinion for Religious and cultural topics within the topics will signing the petition. This very essential topic is neglected by Change.org

marilias3
May 21st, 2020

As a petition signer, to help a particular cause, I am asked to share or contribute financially, I choose to share it, then I am asked to sign more petitions, not one or two but 10 more petitions. It's a waste of peoples time to have to read throughout 10 more different petitions to be able to decide if it's something you want to get involved with or not. Please stop this harassment. Bottom line is it completely defeats the purpose of the program in my opinion.

margareto306
August 16th, 2020

After you sign a petition, you're offered the chance to pay Change.org to advertise the petition to a wider audience. I have only ever used this "chip in" feature but was billed for a monthly membership program. Disputing this charge with PayPal had no effect. The change.org website allows you to cancel the membership program, so be sure to check if you were enrolled in the program after chipping in and cancel if you didn't intend to do so.

timothym493
May 13th, 2020

Be careful when contributing to a cause on this site. I thought I was making a one time contribution to promote one cause but to my dismay, there was another charge the next month. I looked back through my junk mail and right after I got the email thanking me for my "one time contribution" there was another email welcoming me as a member and reading further in the email it thanked me for a monthly reoccurring payment. I did not authorize nor would I have authorized a monthly payment. I do not have the kind of money to contribute monthly.
So be careful. I personally would not take the chance. I will never contribute to this site again.

sterlingb32
February 22nd, 2021

It's unfortunate I have made a few contributions to this site. However after going over my statements I noticed a $26 recurring payment to which I never intentionally agreed on. I'm usually pretty keen on detail so they must hide it well. No judgement if you choose to donate through this site. Just be aware the membership verbiage. I myself will no longer be using change.org services.

marilynj106
August 7th, 2020

I signed up to donate for a one time only. It is every month now, and I can't get anyone at this Change.org to help me get this resolved at all. I finally contacted my credit card they were withdrawing this from, and they are going to investigate this situation, as well stop any further withdrawals. It's too bad it had to come to this, as I donated with good intention to help a cause..

bibis12
May 25th, 2020

Very disappointed. I donated to a petition to help. This was a one off donation. Next thing I know my account is debited the following month. Thieves. Shady and untrustworthy.

jackiea115
April 28th, 2020

As so many others have found, having donated £10 to supposedly move a petition up their listings I noticed a further £10 taken out of my paypal account this month. Have unsubscribed and received confirmation from Change.org to that effect but will be checking monthly because I now don't trust them. Don't even want to give one star!

deeh147
July 23rd, 2020

I donated to a cause I believed in. Did not sign up for recurring monthly payments. Followed instructions on how to cancel. Went to settings + membership. Membership tab says I need to contribute to join. I'm already a "member!" I emailed several times, first time I got a "catch all" do not repy another time they emailed me back the original email they sent me thanking me for donation. I even called the Change.org telephone number that was listed on my credit card statement. Of course a voicemail saying you can't leave a message. I ended up contacting my credit card company to put a stop to unauthorized monthly recurring payments.

xavierk16
October 18th, 2020

I agreed to a single 10 $ payment for a cause and a double confirmation PayPal page added a monthly donation of 10$ without any warning or any request from their website. Change.org is a total scam! Avoid them by any mean.

davidm3589
May 21st, 2020

Two years ago I made a single donation via Change.org. I don't even remember what it was about. Nothing until 6m ago when random $10 debits appeared on my Paypal statements. I have checked my Paypal account and found that there was a monthly debit set up. But $10 was not being debited monthly, only at apparently random intervals.

My advice: have nothing to do with change. Porg, and pass it on.

cindym91
December 16th, 2019

I started a petition to make Florida a No Kill State for shelter animals---I invested time and money to do blasts and had over 4000 signatures. Change.org all of a sudden, and with no notification, removed my petition and refuses to answer my emails. Not quite sure how this could possibly offend any decent human being. Bec Wilson, Fbien Chazot, Danny Moldovan, Mike Jones, Ben Rattray and Mark Dimas: What the hell is going on over there!?

bobs232
April 12th, 2020

If you are just looking for numbers for your petition and have the money to promote it then change.org's computers, robots and artificial intelligence will provide that for you. But if you are looking for quality and actually expect a human being at their organisation to help then you'll be clean out of luck. I started a very Canada-specific petition. So where were our paid promotion dollars directed? Well to the US and UK of course. After getting nowhere with a series of customer service people, I e-mailed CEO and founder Ben Rattray. He was on paternity leave but referred me to the company's acting CEO who told me, and I quote, "When a petition gets paid promotion it should only be shown to people from the same country as the promoter." Great, just what I would expect. So back to a customer agent who basically tells me that the acting CEO gets confused about details and has it all wrong. The actual policy he said, and again I quote is "... the investment promotes the petition all over the platform for any english speaker who can find it." He then added "However, now that you know you can request for your signatures to be limited geographically." So I make the request, only to be told by yet another different customer service agent that "Paid promotions work very different and we can't limit the promotion to just Canada at this point."

This joke of an organisation is interested in one thing and one thing only: making money. And they must be making tons of it off the backs of sincere people who are passionately trying to promote the cause they believe
In. Are you listening 60 minutes? Time to expose them for what they are.

mj490
October 9th, 2020

I would like to know why their petition, which I will Not sign, thinks I live in Brentford! Sounds dodgy to me. And that's more than a hundred characters!

jamess4634
April 20th, 2021

I responded to an environmental petition on change.org, and made what I thought was a "one time" contribution to the specific petition's organization. But when I reviewed my bank statement, it said "recurring contribution" to change.org. With no mention of the specific petition I wanted to support. I thought I would be able to go to their website and cancel the "recurring contribution" payment designation, as can be done on other public interest websites. But their help page was useless. It claims that its "Settings" utility opens a drop-down menu containing an option called "Manage Contributions" where, ostensibly, you might cancel the specific "recurring" contribution. But in fact the drop down menu does not show any such option (fraud?), and after spending a good 90 minutes combing the site for help, I could find nothing there to further help me do what I needed to do. (By comparison, the ActBlue payment processing website makes the problem described above easy to resolve). And so far I can find no telephone contact number for change.org, which gives them an "F" grade for transparency. So I completely cancelled my account with them, hoping that I will not see another charge to my bank account next month from them. Beware of change.org!

pamelad256
December 6th, 2019

I was a target of a personal attack campaign after I successfully received a harassment order against another. Several 3rd party people worked together to create a defamation petition full of lies. I sent all my legal supporting documents to change and it took over two weeks for them to pull the petition. The process for contacting them was difficult and with a slow response time. This site can be used to really HARM people.

kellyt494
April 21st, 2020

The Ruth Chris Steak House Petition is BAD AND MISLEADING! What they aren't telling people is how they had to Lay Off all of their employees but they are STILL PAYING THEM THROUGH THE COVID 19 SHUT DOWN! SHAME ON YOU J HOWARD FOR BEING SO IGNORANT! OUR DAUGHTERS HAVE WORKED THERE FOR YEARS

nolinac
December 12th, 2020

aaliyahh24
April 16th, 2021

Do not I repeat do NOT spend any kind of money on here they'll just charge you after you pay your money once. This place needs to be taken down for charging when the people aren't even aware they're being charged!

lucyy2
October 18th, 2015

I'm sorry, but a lot of the you posting reviews here are being ignorant... Change.org is not posting these petitions themselves. In reality, any user that signs up can create a petition about any cause. There are even ones you don't agree with, but you don't have to sign them.

And no, not all of the petitions on Change.org are about unimportant things. If you browsed around the website you would see that.

I admit I don't know the website well enough to say I know everything about it, but I've been using it for a couple years and have known about it even longer. I have not had too many problems besides the fact that they send out quite a few emails and you have no say in how many they should send to you per week/month. They may be selling your information, but because I use Gmail I receive none of the spam and therefore don't really pay attention. You might not be unchecking the boxes that say you want to receive emails from the organization that started the petition, but that is not called 'selling your information'. That would be your fault.

I agree this website needs a LOT of improvement. Currently, the only way to contact Change.org is by filing a help ticket. And to find out where is not very user friendly. To file a help ticket on Change.org scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'help' on the very bottom. In the top corner of the screen you will see 'submit a request' (this method is subject to change).

The only way to share your suggestions through website is if they ask you to take a survey. You could also send your suggestions as a help ticket (which I did and they said their thanks and "I will pass this on to our product team for review and consideration.")

I really hope they decide to improve their website and make it more user friendly.

maggien20
February 25th, 2019

I have recently run a petition and it seemed to be going well but it was infitrated by someone else and therefore i will not be continuing it, It should not be able to happen this easily.

sw595
September 16th, 2020

Made a one time contribution to a fundraiser and then my card was charged $3 every month automatically. Had to cancel my debt card. Now change.org has the balls to email me and ask for a new card number.

nathana103
February 29th, 2020

I am absolutely infuriated by this organization. What the other people are saying here is true. I thought I was donating 1 time and find my credit card is being charged monthly.

michaelt2142
April 27th, 2021

The site must be owned by a puppet, as in someone that can not think nor see anything for themselves. The twist and turns in your lies aren't even the real stories! You should be ashamed and shut down immediately in the name of The People.

They don't let you go until doing a donation, what looks a one time donation ended in a monthly fee. The credit card refuse to take action because what are they doing is consider legal.

By Diana S.
See more answers (3)

Go to this page https://tinyurl.com/y32mnwor You will find full instructions there.

By Eric R.
See more answers (2)

SCAM? Absolutely! Stay clear if you don't want to be robbed.

By Candy S.

The reason why there are so many bad reviews is either they dont like it or they had no idea how to use it

By Alanna B.

Hello Agness - what a wonderful question! Change.org's mission is to empower people everyone to make the change they want to see in the world. Here's a link with more information about who we are and what we do: https://www.change.org/about. Our help team is always available at help.change.org if you have any questions for us.

By Zo S.,

Hello Jean - thank you for your interest in promoting a petition on Change.org. Our site is secure and your information will only be shared with our payment processors. Here is a link with more information about our privacy policy https://www.change.org/policies/privacy.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joseph - thank you for participating in a campaign on Change.org! You can see the petitions you have signed by logging into your account and choosing 'Profile' from the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. There you will see all of the petitions you have signed (please note that this is only visible when you are viewing your own profile). If you have any questions, please contact us at help.change.org.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Change.org staff and other customers.

We live in an amazing time, when the opportunity to make a difference is greater than ever before. Gathering people behind a cause used to be difficult, requiring lots of time, money, and a complex infrastructure. But technology has made us more connec...

zos8
Zo S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Change.org?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.1
Have a question about Change.org?