Change.org

Change.org has a consumer rating of 2.19 stars from 124 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Change.org most frequently mention email address problems. Change.org ranks 1st among Petition sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 7.4%

No positive highlights yet

• I didn't understand why I received a Thank you for becoming a member email after a typical petition signing.
  • They started a recurring charge on our credit card and luckily we noticed.
How would you rate Change.org?

“Pretty good”

Karin M.
8/2/20

I like that it has a Search function. Most others don't. I can search before starting ANOTHER petition on the same topic. Lots of Canadian content too!

“DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM”

Marilia S.
5/21/20

As a petition signer, to help a particular cause, I am asked to share or contribute financially, I choose to share it, then I am asked to sign more petitions, not one or two but 10 more petitions. It's a waste of peoples time to have to read throughout 10 more different petitions to be able to decide if it's something you want to get involved with or not. Please stop this harassment. Bottom line is it completely defeats the purpose of the program in my opinion.

petition (64) credit card (7) paypal account (3) email address (3)
marilias3
May 21st, 2020
margareto306
August 16th, 2020
After you sign a petition, you're offered the chance to pay Change.org to advertise the petition to a wider audience. I have only ever used this "chip in" feature but was billed for a monthly membership program. Disputing this charge with PayPal had no effect. The change.org website allows you to cancel the membership program, so be sure to check if you were enrolled in the program after chipping in and cancel if you didn't intend to do so.
timothym493
May 13th, 2020
Be careful when contributing to a cause on this site. I thought I was making a one time contribution to promote one cause but to my dismay, there was another charge the next month. I looked back through my junk mail and right after I got the email thanking me for my "one time contribution" there was another email welcoming me as a member and reading further in the email it thanked me for a monthly reoccurring payment. I did not authorize nor would I have authorized a monthly payment. I do not have the kind of money to contribute monthly.
So be careful. I personally would not take the chance. I will never contribute to this site again.
marilynj106
August 7th, 2020
I signed up to donate for a one time only. It is every month now, and I can't get anyone at this Change.org to help me get this resolved at all. I finally contacted my credit card they were withdrawing this from, and they are going to investigate this situation, as well stop any further withdrawals. It's too bad it had to come to this, as I donated with good intention to help a cause..
bibis12
May 25th, 2020
Very disappointed. I donated to a petition to help. This was a one off donation. Next thing I know my account is debited the following month. Thieves. Shady and untrustworthy.
karinm73
August 2nd, 2020
Lots of Canadian content too!
jackiea115
April 28th, 2020
As so many others have found, having donated £10 to supposedly move a petition up their listings I noticed a further £10 taken out of my paypal account this month. Have unsubscribed and received confirmation from Change.org to that effect but will be checking monthly because I now don't trust them. Don't even want to give one star!
deeh147
July 23rd, 2020
I donated to a cause I believed in. Did not sign up for recurring monthly payments. Followed instructions on how to cancel. Went to settings + membership. Membership tab says I need to contribute to join. I'm already a "member!" I emailed several times, first time I got a "catch all" do not repy another time they emailed me back the original email they sent me thanking me for donation. I even called the Change.org telephone number that was listed on my credit card statement. Of course a voicemail saying you can't leave a message. I ended up contacting my credit card company to put a stop to unauthorized monthly recurring payments.
xavierk16
October 18th, 2020
I agreed to a single 10 $ payment for a cause and a double confirmation PayPal page added a monthly donation of 10$ without any warning or any request from their website. Change.org is a total scam! Avoid them by any mean.
davidm3589
May 21st, 2020
Two years ago I made a single donation via Change.org. I don't even remember what it was about. Nothing until 6m ago when random $10 debits appeared on my Paypal statements. I have checked my Paypal account and found that there was a monthly debit set up. But $10 was not being debited monthly, only at apparently random intervals.

My advice: have nothing to do with change. Porg, and pass it on.
cindym91
December 16th, 2019
I started a petition to make Florida a No Kill State for shelter animals---I invested time and money to do blasts and had over 4000 signatures. Change.org all of a sudden, and with no notification, removed my petition and refuses to answer my emails. Not quite sure how this could possibly offend any decent human being. Bec Wilson, Fbien Chazot, Danny Moldovan, Mike Jones, Ben Rattray and Mark Dimas: What the hell is going on over there!?
bobs232
April 12th, 2020
If you are just looking for numbers for your petition and have the money to promote it then change.org's computers, robots and artificial intelligence will provide that for you. But if you are looking for quality and actually expect a human being at their organisation to help then you'll be clean out of luck. I started a very Canada-specific petition. So where were our paid promotion dollars directed? Well to the US and UK of course. After getting nowhere with a series of customer service people, I e-mailed CEO and founder Ben Rattray. He was on paternity leave but referred me to the company's acting CEO who told me, and I quote, "When a petition gets paid promotion it should only be shown to people from the same country as the promoter." Great, just what I would expect. So back to a customer agent who basically tells me that the acting CEO gets confused about details and has it all wrong. The actual policy he said, and again I quote is "... the investment promotes the petition all over the platform for any english speaker who can find it." He then added "However, now that you know you can request for your signatures to be limited geographically." So I make the request, only to be told by yet another different customer service agent that "Paid promotions work very different and we can't limit the promotion to just Canada at this point."

This joke of an organisation is interested in one thing and one thing only: making money. And they must be making tons of it off the backs of sincere people who are passionately trying to promote the cause they believe
In. Are you listening 60 minutes? Time to expose them for what they are.
mj490
October 9th, 2020
I would like to know why their petition, which I will Not sign, thinks I live in Brentford! Sounds dodgy to me. And that's more than a hundred characters!
pamelad256
December 6th, 2019
I was a target of a personal attack campaign after I successfully received a harassment order against another. Several 3rd party people worked together to create a defamation petition full of lies. I sent all my legal supporting documents to change and it took over two weeks for them to pull the petition. The process for contacting them was difficult and with a slow response time. This site can be used to really HARM people.
alannab40
November 16th, 2019
Is kinda of fun to use. I enjoy it! Easy to use but really good! Stop saying negative things about it.
kellyt494
April 21st, 2020
The Ruth Chris Steak House Petition is BAD AND MISLEADING! What they aren't telling people is how they had to Lay Off all of their employees but they are STILL PAYING THEM THROUGH THE COVID 19 SHUT DOWN! SHAME ON YOU J HOWARD FOR BEING SO IGNORANT! OUR DAUGHTERS HAVE WORKED THERE FOR YEARS
siddhanthr
September 21st, 2020
There are so many Religious and cultural problems also within the society. Many activities are going on within the society which insults and misinterprets a religious and Cultural doctrines in the name of Secularism and Atheism.
But the problem is that the Voice of people who advocates the religion and culture are not recognized by many institutions and NGOs. The Change.org too fail in the given context. There is no separate opinion for Religious and cultural topics within the topics will signing the petition. This very essential topic is neglected by Change.org
sw595
September 16th, 2020
Made a one time contribution to a fundraiser and then my card was charged $3 every month automatically. Had to cancel my debt card. Now change.org has the balls to email me and ask for a new card number.
nathana103
February 29th, 2020
I am absolutely infuriated by this organization. What the other people are saying here is true. I thought I was donating 1 time and find my credit card is being charged monthly.
bryant136
August 20th, 2020
Change is nothing more than an extension of a fascist thought police mentality. They MUST be outed then shut-down! Fight back! Start a petition, NOW!
jeffd396
April 15th, 2020
I signed a petition that was advertised on Twitter. The petition was on change.org. There was a solicitation for contributions that popped up and it looked like it was to support the petition cause. It said with my contribution they can reach more supporters. However, after I made my contribution, I discovered the contribution went to change.org as a "membership fee", and doesn't show any connection to the petition organization I wanted to specifically support! In addition, they automatically make it a monthly contribution! We all understand that they want to get paid but I feel this was either a very sneaky miss-representation and a poor business model.
alains14
March 24th, 2019
Whatever money you 'donate", goes to change.org itself. Also you end up subscribing for monthly payments and its very hard to unsubscribe.
They pretend to be a no-profit, but they actually harvest money by making you think you're donating to a cause, while everything goes to them. You do not only pay for them to advertise these petitions, they also sell your data to companies which will start sending campaigns based on your political believes. It's a fraud!
reginac5
January 28th, 2014
I have used the service for petitions and find the staff and support very helpful. I have also made some great connections with people who share similar views about important social issues.
markw1535
August 31st, 2020
We donated to Change.org in March 20. We found it to be a recurring monthly charge, even though that wasn't our intention. So on the day the money was taken again in July 20, we followed the advice and went to our membership on Change.org, and cancelled the monthly recusing charge. I watched my partner do it and get the confirmation. But again this month we have the same re-occurring charge. There is no possible way to contact a actual human being at Change.org to try and resolve this, so we cancelled the Credit Cards with our Bank, and this will stop them from taking another payment next month. We think Change.org is ripping people off and they need to ‘change' there ways. No more $$$ donations ever again to them.
dc770
September 5th, 2020
They remove petitions based on political bias which contradicts the name itself. They intend on "changing" nothing.

They don't let you go until doing a donation, what looks a one time donation ended in a monthly fee. The credit card refuse to take action because what are they doing is consider legal.

By Diana S.
See more answers (3)

Go to this page https://tinyurl.com/y32mnwor You will find full instructions there.

By Eric R.
See more answers (2)

SCAM? Absolutely! Stay clear if you don't want to be robbed.

By Candy S.

The reason why there are so many bad reviews is either they dont like it or they had no idea how to use it

By Alanna B.

Hello Agness - what a wonderful question! Change.org's mission is to empower people everyone to make the change they want to see in the world. Here's a link with more information about who we are and what we do: https://www.change.org/about. Our help team is always available at help.change.org if you have any questions for us.

By Zo S.,

Hello Jean - thank you for your interest in promoting a petition on Change.org. Our site is secure and your information will only be shared with our payment processors. Here is a link with more information about our privacy policy https://www.change.org/policies/privacy.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joseph - thank you for participating in a campaign on Change.org! You can see the petitions you have signed by logging into your account and choosing 'Profile' from the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. There you will see all of the petitions you have signed (please note that this is only visible when you are viewing your own profile). If you have any questions, please contact us at help.change.org.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Change.org staff and other customers.

We live in an amazing time, when the opportunity to make a difference is greater than ever before. Gathering people behind a cause used to be difficult, requiring lots of time, money, and a complex infrastructure. But technology has made us more connec...

zos8
Zo S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Change.org?

Have a question about Change.org?