Change.org

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
4.4 / 5

Change.org has a consumer rating of 2.01 stars from 158 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Change.org most frequently mention credit card and social media problems. Change.org ranks 1st among Petition sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 3.4%

No positive highlights yet

• I didn't understand why I received a Thank you for becoming a member email after a typical petition signing.
  • They started a recurring charge on our credit card and luckily we noticed.
How would you rate Change.org?

“Website is alright, helpers are fantastic!”

Nolina C.
12/12/20

I recently (jokingly) made a petition about a friend of mine, and a worker named max contacted me and gave some advice because it wasn't a clear joke petition, And I said sorry mine is a joke petition, he said no need to apologize and went on as usual, I said oh your not a bot? And he was very friendly and I cracked a joke, and he went with it to make the awkwardness of a stranger texting you go away, I loved max, he was wonderful! Will use the site again and hope me and max are in contact someday again to check on how he's been.

“DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM”

Marilia S.
5/21/20

As a petition signer, to help a particular cause, I am asked to share or contribute financially, I choose to share it, then I am asked to sign more petitions, not one or two but 10 more petitions. It's a waste of peoples time to have to read throughout 10 more different petitions to be able to decide if it's something you want to get involved with or not. Please stop this harassment. Bottom line is it completely defeats the purpose of the program in my opinion.

petition (64) credit card (7) paypal account (3) email address (3)
marilias3
May 21st, 2020

margareto306
August 16th, 2020

After you sign a petition, you're offered the chance to pay Change.org to advertise the petition to a wider audience. I have only ever used this "chip in" feature but was billed for a monthly membership program. Disputing this charge with PayPal had no effect. The change.org website allows you to cancel the membership program, so be sure to check if you were enrolled in the program after chipping in and cancel if you didn't intend to do so.

sterlingb32
February 22nd, 2021

It's unfortunate I have made a few contributions to this site. However after going over my statements I noticed a $26 recurring payment to which I never intentionally agreed on. I'm usually pretty keen on detail so they must hide it well. No judgement if you choose to donate through this site. Just be aware the membership verbiage. I myself will no longer be using change.org services.

paulk1445
June 16th, 2021

They just steal your money will remove your post and not give you any info or reason why customer service is non existent with them

Don't use them

stanm157
November 16th, 2021

Beware of this company! I signed a petition and next thing I knew they were charging to my credit card. They then tried to show that I was signing petitions that I did NOT agree with. I tried to contact them several times for an explanation and a refund. No response and you cannot find a phone number to follow up. Your only means of following up is email and they ignore you!
Beware in signing ANY of their petitions!

ashleighv6
August 23rd, 2021

I am absolutely disgusted as they deleted my petition because some snowflake got offended by it, I put a lot of money, time and effort into it, my petition was getting quite popular but change.org being biased decided that they were going to side with the special snowflake(s) and completely torn it down, the thing is I never swore, I was mildly blunt and only stated some issues. Freedom of speech does not apply on there clearly. This website is a load of codswallop and will only cater for the weak minded childish part of society.

mostcensoredo
December 13th, 2021

I know I signed a few petitions on banning pit bulls because of how murderous, violent and dangerous they are.
I'm not one to donate money online, but for the first time I was like "why not". I donated, and today I realized I was being charged 3 dollars for the last 3 months and I didn't understand why. Furthermore, I didn't sign up for a membership. I don't even know how. I haven't even been on, Change since I lasted signed a petition.

A good deed turned a bad fee. I may not use the platform anymore because of that trick they played. Sorry I'm all for change but if Change wants to short change me then there is no change.

Tip for consumers:
If you want to make change... Do it yourself.

jamesh4705
January 15th, 2022

I donated money to a petition as I don't have social media, and it was a cause that I believe in. I got an email notification that confirmed a single one off donation. At the exact same time I received another email with the same subject heading so i did not notice that in fact two different confirmation emails had been sent. It was an email saying that I'd set up a monthly donation. Logging into change.org there is no record of my monthly standing order so I had to cancel via PayPal. I have tried to contact Change.org twice now for a refund and they've not responded. It is not a charity, its is a scam. I did not knowingly agree to pay monthly donations to change.org (a for profit company that doesn't appear to do anything really other than host random binary opinion polls). I have attached the two screenshots of the emails that were sent, the first confirming a one off payment and the second thanking me that I'd set up a monthly donation.

Tip for consumers:
Know that this is a for profit organisation, and be careful when making donations as they try to trick you into paying more than you intended

marilynj106
August 7th, 2020

I signed up to donate for a one time only. It is every month now, and I can't get anyone at this Change.org to help me get this resolved at all. I finally contacted my credit card they were withdrawing this from, and they are going to investigate this situation, as well stop any further withdrawals. It's too bad it had to come to this, as I donated with good intention to help a cause..

bibis12
May 25th, 2020

Very disappointed. I donated to a petition to help. This was a one off donation. Next thing I know my account is debited the following month. Thieves. Shady and untrustworthy.

nicolew1382
January 6th, 2022

Good thing I locked my debit card. I've been getting bank notices that transactions couldn't be processed due to my card being locked. I take a look and it's numerous attempted transactions from change.org. I don't recall giving them my card number or making any donations recently to change.org. So these guys need to be reported. I'm keeping my debit card locked so no more weird looking transactions that I didn't approve.

peterk1077
August 16th, 2021

NEVER give these people any money. These people are crooks. I lost $25 after trying to promote my petition and then they pulled it with no explanation. These people masquerade as idealists. They must have corporate owners with an agenda.

Tip for consumers:
This website is not what it appears to be. NEVER send these people any money.

robint323
September 9th, 2021

This company- private for profit, not public non profit - has a curious way of turning one off donations into monthly charges on your credit card. Impossible to cancel. Almost impossible to contact. Use them at your peril as I have discovered.

johnb6965
June 20th, 2021

I start a petition June 15,2021 and paid the highest amount of donation asked by change.org with the promise to get over 5000 signatures and help to promote my petition on their website! They took the money, some one contacted me by text message that he's going to help me hoe promote my petition! First of all I had no access to my petition in my account to edit it according the change. Org coach and there is no way to get hold on help and support, every time I tried to promote my petition on face book messenger, the only option recipient would get was two options either to chip in money or share, I was getting reply that we don't get the option to sign your period, the signing red box for petition would stay for very short time then would change to chip in or share I had such a frustrating experience with change.org, bottom line I must say; CEO's of change.org make money of other people misery he doesn't care about changes, change.org is corporate for profit stop supporting them by signing,,,

Tip for consumers:
Don’t give them money, didn’t go to help the victim

jast14
June 17th, 2021

I dont trust change.org. I believe they intentionally remove campaigns from circulation to prompt the person to pay. They will put the campaign front and center for a day or two and yank it back to coerce more payment. That's wrong. They artificially deflate the views by keeping the campaign from circulation.

I launched a campaign and I paid to have it initially circulated. Support came in quickly. When I got to 200 likes then suddenly there was a hard stop. It's been several months now and I'm still sitting at the same number of supporters. Throughout that period change.org kept requesting I send them money. I would not. Not only do they request money from the person who created the campaign, supporters of the campaign are constantly being asked for money. The requests pop up endlessly and appear to be a way the person can support the campaign but the money really goes to change.org. You have to read the small print.

That's unethical, dishonest and deceitful.

Just create a campaign through a blog or social media and pay seo people to support it.

Tip for consumers:
Change.org, in my opinion, are restricting campaigns to coerce the person into paying more money to them. I paid one time and support flooded in. Then it stopped and I have not gained one supporter for several months. That's strange. Change.org has kept requesting I send more money. I wont. That's unethical, dishonest and deceitful.

jackiea115
April 28th, 2020

As so many others have found, having donated £10 to supposedly move a petition up their listings I noticed a further £10 taken out of my paypal account this month. Have unsubscribed and received confirmation from Change.org to that effect but will be checking monthly because I now don't trust them. Don't even want to give one star!

nolinac
December 12th, 2020

deeh147
July 23rd, 2020

I donated to a cause I believed in. Did not sign up for recurring monthly payments. Followed instructions on how to cancel. Went to settings + membership. Membership tab says I need to contribute to join. I'm already a "member!" I emailed several times, first time I got a "catch all" do not repy another time they emailed me back the original email they sent me thanking me for donation. I even called the Change.org telephone number that was listed on my credit card statement. Of course a voicemail saying you can't leave a message. I ended up contacting my credit card company to put a stop to unauthorized monthly recurring payments.

timothym493
May 13th, 2020

Be careful when contributing to a cause on this site. I thought I was making a one time contribution to promote one cause but to my dismay, there was another charge the next month. I looked back through my junk mail and right after I got the email thanking me for my "one time contribution" there was another email welcoming me as a member and reading further in the email it thanked me for a monthly reoccurring payment. I did not authorize nor would I have authorized a monthly payment. I do not have the kind of money to contribute monthly.
So be careful. I personally would not take the chance. I will never contribute to this site again.

xavierk16
October 18th, 2020

I agreed to a single 10 $ payment for a cause and a double confirmation PayPal page added a monthly donation of 10$ without any warning or any request from their website. Change.org is a total scam! Avoid them by any mean.

davidm3589
May 21st, 2020

Two years ago I made a single donation via Change.org. I don't even remember what it was about. Nothing until 6m ago when random $10 debits appeared on my Paypal statements. I have checked my Paypal account and found that there was a monthly debit set up. But $10 was not being debited monthly, only at apparently random intervals.

My advice: have nothing to do with change. Porg, and pass it on.

karinm73
August 2nd, 2020

I like that it has a Search function. Most others don't. I can search before starting ANOTHER petition on the same topic.
Lots of Canadian content too!

deborahc1502
September 4th, 2021

No real way to opt out of a subscription, nor contact them? Whoever THEY ARE? You can try all the methods they suggest, but I notice the wording keeps changing on each sight and the methods don't work. Yes, you can can cancel your email, but they still have your card, some how they have 2 of my card?

It's like a spam?

Deb

alannab40
November 16th, 2019

Is kinda of fun to use. I enjoy it! Easy to use but really good! Stop saying negative things about it.

tanweera2
June 24th, 2021

I am an Established Author and I want to share the experience I've had with change.org. My petition was very important to me because as a mother I'm fighting for justice for my son alone. My son has been ill for nine years and those responsible of ruining my son's health and littering his health records with lies have never been brought to justice for their crimes. Change.org are aware how important my petition is to me. In the past I've had technical errors in my petition and change.org have been helpful and supportive. But this time this issue raises questions. When my petition was hidden away and couldn't be promoted I excepted that it must be an error and never judged change.org. But the second time this has happened does raise questions. As I am an honest person and openly say my honesty I feel I have been let down by change.org. I had put my trust in many people in my life and I have been let down by many too, so it's hard to trust anyone again.

They don't let you go until doing a donation, what looks a one time donation ended in a monthly fee. The credit card refuse to take action because what are they doing is consider legal.

By Diana S.
See more answers (3)

Go to this page https://tinyurl.com/y32mnwor You will find full instructions there.

By Eric R.
See more answers (2)

SCAM? Absolutely! Stay clear if you don't want to be robbed.

By Candy S.

The reason why there are so many bad reviews is either they dont like it or they had no idea how to use it

By Alanna B.

Hello Agness - what a wonderful question! Change.org's mission is to empower people everyone to make the change they want to see in the world. Here's a link with more information about who we are and what we do: https://www.change.org/about. Our help team is always available at help.change.org if you have any questions for us.

By Zo S.,

Hello Jean - thank you for your interest in promoting a petition on Change.org. Our site is secure and your information will only be shared with our payment processors. Here is a link with more information about our privacy policy https://www.change.org/policies/privacy.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joseph - thank you for participating in a campaign on Change.org! You can see the petitions you have signed by logging into your account and choosing 'Profile' from the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. There you will see all of the petitions you have signed (please note that this is only visible when you are viewing your own profile). If you have any questions, please contact us at help.change.org.

By Zo S.,

Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S.,

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Change.org staff and other customers.

We live in an amazing time, when the opportunity to make a difference is greater than ever before. Gathering people behind a cause used to be difficult, requiring lots of time, money, and a complex infrastructure. But technology has made us more connec...

zos8
Zo S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Change.org?

Have a question about Change.org?