Review of Change.org

Tel: +1.2022531288
help@change.org

johna741
11/6/17

I joined 12 years ago when it was free they e-mailed me the list of petitions and I picked or signed the ones I was of interest in. They eventually stopped the e-mail list of petitions I guess 5-6 years ago to me then every once and a while sent a petition and asked to donate to send email to other people for that petition which I didn't. I just got an email 11-03-2017 from change and they wanted a membership fee of 7.75-15.00 25.00 ect. to recur every month and I just deleted the email. I was checking my on line banking on the 6th and change had charged my new debit card 10.00 for what I don't know and couldn't find out with there customer service ( which sucks ) I want to know how they got my card no. are they hackers ?

starm4
11/3/17

I have been using change.org and enjoying signing petitions for several years now. I know that they are for profit, but it only mildly bothered me. Imagine my surprise and disgust when I got an email from them today asking me to pitch in $10 a month to "help their small team". Honestly! This is absolutely ridiculous and is bordering on fraud. They are not a charity. How can they consider asking me to donate to them? Should I donate to Starbucks to help them make their coffee? This is a disgusting abuse of public trust and I feel terrible when I think about anyone who falls for it. The poor non-profits that actually would use that money. Shame on you change.org. You are stealing from charities to add to your fat wallet!

chaddm1
10/23/17

Basically a site that sells your email address. Some petitions are based on false accusations and they don't seem to care. A disgruntled ex gf can slander someone. I thought the petitions were fact checked but they are not. Be weary when you sign a petition.

conniew58
10/3/17

THIS IS WHAT I HEARDIF YOU SIGN THOSE PETITIONS THAT ARE ORGANIZED BY CHANGE.ORG

At 2:44am on Tuesday, October 3rd there are 784,913 signatures to "promote cruelty-free exhibits at the Guggenheim". Did you know that for each e-mail change.org receives they TAKE $1.75. At this point of 784,913 they have paid themselves $1,373,597.75! They are NOT a non-profit organization. For example if I donated $20.00 and gave change.org 5 e-mail addresses then they would take $8.75 leaving $11.25. Then one of those people donates $25.00 and gives them 9 e-mail addresses. Change.org gets $15.75 leaving only $9.25.
And a lot of people won't donate at all, but will sign the petition and they will get out of 15 names thinking that they are being helpful when what they have actually done is given change.org $28.00 and nothing to the Cause.

This information came from https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/530-change-dot-org/

Even though it feels like we're helping the cause, all we're doing is making the owners of change.org extremely wealthy. Just thought I would share that.

IS THIS TRUE?

johnw718
JOHN W.
9/22/17

This Change .org is a bias and bigoted organisation with selective groups allowing what petitions they want and they discriminate against others i have never been the victim of so much prejudice Which is a breach of Articles 19 and 30 Of the UDHR And Australia's Constitution

monicam105
8/30/17

It is so difficult to sign a petition ..i have started a petition and atleast 100 people have complained that they are not able to sign...

rebeccas178
7/20/17

Research cancelling monthly payments before donating! It's impossible. I've tried technical support, help, and even researched on google to cancel my payment. Nothing works.

reinhards
7/17/17

wouldn't let me post the petition. No info as to why. Just said there was an error. Found out after that it's a for-profit company. Hope they go bust. What a waste of time.

mohamedo4
5/7/17

i was do exchanger, and he have problem in his system btc to pm, and still wait his reponse to send me my exchanger, beacuse his system he dont detected that

tylerk29
3/17/17

Trying to sign up for this has been very difficult. It is very sad to say that I am unable to sign up for and support this cause due to the roadblocks this site has put up.

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello Tyler, I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with Change.org. If you haven't already done so, please contact our Help Team at https://help.change.org. We're standing by to help you.
denk31
2/20/17

I've asked this company to unsubscribe me 7 times and every time it says "server is misbehaving " wtf!!! I'm ready to start a petition against them. Please just unsubscribe me!!!!

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello Den, I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble unsubscribing from our mailing list. If you haven't already done so, please contact our team by filling out a contact form at https://help.change.org/. We'll make sure this gets taken care of for you. Thanks!
julesd12
1/16/17

Two times I have been "sucked in" to signing a petition at Change.org because I cared deeply about the issue involved. Both times I regretted it. They require your personal information and then use it to pester you. When you try to unsubscribe you get a fake "server misbehaving - try again!" message, indefinitely. I do not trust this site at all.

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello Jules, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am really sorry to read about the issues you've had unsubscribing from our mailing list. We've put together this FAQ with instructions for managing the types of emails you receive from Change.org: https://help.change.org/s/article/Cancellare-l-iscrizione-o-aggiornare-le-Impostazioni-di-Notifica-email-language-it?language=en_US. If you have any trouble, please reach out to us at https://help.change.org. We're here to assist. Thanks!
heatherf49
11/13/16

They are NOT a not-for-profit. They sell your information to third party companies.

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello Heather. Change.org is social enterprise and a certified B Corporation. We do our best to be transparent around how our business works and have a section of our site dedicated to this effort. This can be viewed here: https://www.change.org/about/business-model. If you have any questions that we can help answer, please visit our help center at help.change.org.
wtfiswrongwiththisworldd
6/1/16

I was so upset at the killing of HARABE ( REST IN PEACE and known you have changed the world!!) that I ( against intellectual judgement) decided to sign the petition. Feeling good about this support, I was immediately disturbed at the next page asking for a donation, with a sympathetic claim that a donation could make a difference.
This prompted me to start a petition for CHILD ENDANGERMENT charges against the parents of the boy who fell in with HARABE because of the allegations they may seek damages ( sue the zoo) for the zoo not preventing the boy from accessing the area.

Week ,guess who was not allowed to start a petition for this cause.

SHAME ON YOU change.org. You money grubbing bastards!

I hope someday there will be a petition to shut you down and then finally a good change will prevail.

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello, thank you for the feedback; I am very sorry to read that you had trouble creating a petition about this cause. This is not something that we would block based on the information that you have provided. It sounds like there may have been a technical issue. If you are still interested and having trouble creating a petition, please contact our Help Center at help.change.org. We'll take a look and figure out what could be causing the issue. Thanks! Zo
nancyr86
5/31/16

All they will do is steal your money on a monthly basis. The cause that you think that you are giving to will not receive your money. They need to be investigated because their business practices are bordering on illegal.

Response from Zo S., Change.org Representative
Hello Nancy - thank you for the feedback; I am very sorry to hear about the confusion. It sounds like you signed up for a reoccurring promotion of this petition. If you haven't already done so, please contact our Support team at help.change.org. We'll take a look at your account and make sure you are changed to a one time donation. Thanks! Zo
lorrainer15
4/26/16

I was just given the opportunity to sign a petition asking that the health care system pay for items like false breasts and such for persons who identify with the opposite gender but don't choose to have the surgery.

This peeves me no end and I'll tell you why. I have MS and if the day comes when I need to use a wheelchair, I'll have to pay for it myself. I have to use catheters to urinate and I have to pay for them myself. Liberal PM Paul Martin rejigged the eligibility criteria for getting a CPP disability pension so that only persons who'd gotten disabled very quickly and had been making CPP payments in full could apply. That left me ineligible because, being honest, I'd gone on working part time as long as I could.

So I won't be signing change.org petitions in future either, as I know from my own unpleasant experience that this was an uninformed petition. How many that I signed were similarly false?

Just want to clarify my review. I'm Canadian and the petition that peeved me so much was directed at the Canadian health care system.

victoriam62
4/7/16

I started an online petition to save a historic house threatened with demolition in my community; it was an effective way to raise awareness in the community and even brought two qualified buyers to the developer. Unfortunately, despite assuring one buyer that he would work with him once he received planning & zoning approval of his site plan, the developer completely ignored the buyer and our community once he received approval, and demolished the house in minutes. On that same day, I received an email via change.org that our town's highest official had supposedly signed our petition to save the house...obviously a cruel joke and a scammer. When I asked change.org how this could happen, I was told the same thing I already complained about: that there was no sign of this person's signature; their concern seemed to center around not wanting to violate the privacy of the signers by sharing the email address of that signer, which was less important to me than trying to corroborate that someone did in fact 'scam' sign this petition which would tend to discredit the larger petition effort and obviously the change.org site. Hopefully the people behind change.org will tighten this up so that petitions are not so vulnerable to this type of scam signing since there are many worthy causes on their site. I also think they could improve functionality from the creators' standpoint; providing updated messages to signers with pictures and messages was cumbersome and in my case, by the day of the demolition, the site wrongly logged in my update to signers on the day following the day the demolition took place when I sent the message.

leonidt
11/12/15

now 98 of my 980 email inbox are petition spam and 142 of them are of endcitizensunited a PAC that is raising money to illegalize the act of PACs raising money. i have edited the wikipedia page of change.org to include references of its spamming which are quickly reversed, probably by that greedy downie jennifer dulski herself.

lucyy2
10/18/15

I'm sorry, but a lot of the you posting reviews here are being ignorant... Change.org is not posting these petitions themselves. In reality, any user that signs up can create a petition about any cause. There are even ones you don't agree with, but you don't have to sign them.

And no, not all of the petitions on Change.org are about unimportant things. If you browsed around the website you would see that.

I admit I don't know the website well enough to say I know everything about it, but I've been using it for a couple years and have known about it even longer. I have not had too many problems besides the fact that they send out quite a few emails and you have no say in how many they should send to you per week/month. They may be selling your information, but because I use Gmail I receive none of the spam and therefore don't really pay attention. You might not be unchecking the boxes that say you want to receive emails from the organization that started the petition, but that is not called 'selling your information'. That would be your fault.

I agree this website needs a LOT of improvement. Currently, the only way to contact Change.org is by filing a help ticket. And to find out where is not very user friendly. To file a help ticket on Change.org scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'help' on the very bottom. In the top corner of the screen you will see 'submit a request' (this method is subject to change).

The only way to share your suggestions through website is if they ask you to take a survey. You could also send your suggestions as a help ticket (which I did and they said their thanks and "I will pass this on to our product team for review and consideration.")

I really hope they decide to improve their website and make it more user friendly.

susanl68
9/23/15

Not only was Change.org unwilling to do anything other than mine my data and the data of every person who signed a petition, without our knowledge or consent, I was unable to get signed petitions from them to forward to the addressees of the Petitions. What I did get, and what the petition signers got were many requests for money in the nature of, "pay us $20, and we'll send your petition to 20 more people", etc. The Change.org website was dysfunctional, and there are no Change.org employees willing to help, speak to a petitioner, respond to an email from a petitioner or correct errors. I found more than four (4) separate alleged mailing addresses for the company, and letters always came back "Return to Sender, Not Deliverable". Ben Rattray may be the CEO, but his niche marketing of using social justice as a means for creating a revenue stream is a failure, a rip off and a fraud, lacking any transparency or accountability.

Tip for consumers: I waited two years to get any response from anyone at Change.org to a Petition I started. I generously signed lots of petitions, and circulated petitions, and I was surprised that Change.org was so deliberately indifferent and disinterested in social justice.

jeffreys42
6/27/15

After swing the email commending that the federal government thinks gay marriage is legal. This is the destruction of the moral decay of this country. The love
between a man and a woman, a man and man
Or a woman and a woman is great . But marriage between a man and a woman should be honored as a sacred place for marriage. No disrespect to any gay person but what an organization like change.org give the one sided view. I'm glad I'm Roman Catholic in my beliefs
It will never become part of my belief

Jts
Pittsburgh pa

frankb66
11/28/14

I signed petition for a teen girl that was killed by a psychopath cop and they got like 300 signatures and wanted donations to promote the story I guess. Then they send me an email for a chick-fil a petition to save the chickens and they had 50000 signatures. That is just sick and they seem to promote save the chickens aggressively. I feel dirty even going there.

gretchenl1
10/26/14

I've been trying to support a couple of petitions for some days, but as soon as I go through the process, I get a message that they don't support my browser ... and go on to recommend that I use one of the browsesr that I'm already using! I don't know whether I've duplicated, trebled or quadrupled my signatures: I suspect they haven't accepted any of them, because they are so anxious to persuade me to download the Google Chrome program that I'm already using. I'm certainly not receiving the usual "thank you" and to please "let zillions of friends know that you have signed this petition ,," Perhaps I should start a petition suggesting that Change,org set their own house in order ... get their act together, and stop wasting our time by their own inadvertence.

alessandros17
3/21/14

Financed by the same transnational elites that sponsor the civil unrest at Ukraine and Syria. Not a NGO at all, but merely a front for the furthering of the agendas of the western powers and it's backers.

ericg26
3/3/14

I am a bleeding-heart liberal (except I don't support legalization of cannabis), but this website is atrocious.

I am 6' 8" and created a petition one day for more leg room on coach flights. Without my permission, they gave my name to dozens and dozens of third parties.

The last thing they want to be is optimistic. I suffer from depression but they still make everything sound scary. I've been much happier now that I no longer receives these parties' emails. My experience led me to conclude that if the Civil Rights Movement had taken place today, Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" would have been its anthem instead of "We Shall Overcome."

Not only that but I, like other reviewers here, had no luck with my petitions. They are very much pick & choose about whose (and what) petitions they decide to support.

28 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hello Agness - what a wonderful question! Change.org's mission is to empower people everyone to make the change they want to see in the world. Here's a link with more information about who we are and what we do: https://www.change.org/about. Our help team is always available at help.change.org if you have any questions for us.

By Zo S. [Change.org Rep]

Hello Jean - thank you for your interest in promoting a petition on Change.org. Our site is secure and your information will only be shared with our payment processors. Here is a link with more information about our privacy policy https://www.change.org/policies/privacy.

By Zo S. [Change.org Rep]

Hello Joseph - thank you for participating in a campaign on Change.org! You can see the petitions you have signed by logging into your account and choosing 'Profile' from the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner. There you will see all of the petitions you have signed (please note that this is only visible when you are viewing your own profile). If you have any questions, please contact us at help.change.org.

By Zo S. [Change.org Rep]

Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S. [Change.org Rep]

Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo

By Zo S. [Change.org Rep]

apparently you have to pay money as it won't allow you to go through to the next page other wise.....STAY WELL CLEAR THIS SITE IS A SCAM!

By Stuart W.
Questions? Get answers from the Change.org staff and other customers.

Change.org?