British Gas

Trustpilot
3.1 / 5
Reviews.io
1.3 / 5

British Gas has a consumer rating of 1.04 stars from 27 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about British Gas most frequently mention customer service and smart meter problems.British Gas ranks 60th among Energy Efficiency sites.

How would you rate British Gas?

“Fraudulent overcharging of unsuspecting businesses: AVOID!”

RAMI C.
6/27/21

A typical ex-nationalised 'untouchable' company operating fraudulently. British Gas hoodwinked my restaurant staff in Nov 2018 to 'fix' the smart meter to work on MAXDEMAND tariff which means a minimum bill is issued irrespective of actual usage. Bills went from £111 to £1505 monthly which forced closure of this small restaurant. Knowledge of MAXDEMAND tariff did not come about until 2021. BG offered no such contract nor explanation nor willingness to resolve. If this was not true, I would be sued. British Gas are definitely NOT RECOMMENDED as business suppliers. For 3 years British Gas have refused to justify or correct (several complaints raised & Ombudsman refused to investigate claiming Smart Meters are enforced by law but there is no legislation for lack of mobile signal/defaulting to maximum usage bills) their [default/estimated] overcharged bills until the posting of online reviews. Now (10/21), overcharged by £20k I am forced to take BGB to court for £19k refund & loss of profit: unlikely to get more than refund so AVOID! Simply cannot do worse. Additionally, BG have unwarrantedly damaged my credit rating. Complaint ref.: *******128

ramic5
June 27th, 2021

A typical ex-nationalised 'untouchable' company operating fraudulently.
Additionally, BG have unwarrantedly damaged my credit rating.
Complaint ref.: *******128

Tip for consumers:
use a different supplier to British Gas Business that overcharge unsuspecting, busy 'distracted' businesses.

business electricity supply

tetyanam5
April 30th, 2021

British Gas is the worst company ever!. BE AWARE of what they will do to your credit report! After failing of providing the bills and really messy situation after the transfer from another energy provider, they just put "non payment" in my credit report FOUR TIMES in one go just for one bill! And refusing to remove it after numerous complaints even though it was their fault! Thanks for treating customers like that and damaging my credit for 7 years! I'm definitely swapping for a better provider! The worst company!

alexo26
March 22nd, 2016

So, with all the endless possibilities around regarding changing suppliers, I thought I might have a look at what my existing supplier, British Gas has on offer. As I have a couple of properties I thought they might have a better offer than my tried and tested tariff which I hadn't bothered to look at for years. Well, there isn't anything better. However, if you want to carry on then we will send you a £50 Amazon voucher. I duly applied several weeks ago, and after x 2 phone calls, I'm still waiting. I've heard many other complaints on customers not receiving theirs also. After all, I give them my business and practically wipe their behinds by giving u. T. D member readings and registering all online to! Ale it easy for them. It's always the Same thing with all big companies: promises never stack up, ever. Well, I've just told them to sort it in a week or I'm off to someone else who can also save me a few hundred a year. No real reason for being loyal with these people: you are irrelevant in their sea of profits. Just a little home owner.

winonab10
November 26th, 2021

Refused to solve a problem created by British gas. British gas came for a check up. They switched off the gas but failed to order the replacement part required. We keep getting "engineers" sent out that do nothing other than blame their colleagues instead of fixing the boiler. For days we have had no heating, no hob to cook on and no hot water. British Gas haven't attempted to fix the problem. The "engineers" identified the problem, the part/s should have been ordered, delivered and repaired?

valarianc
January 2nd, 2021

I am seeking quotes for a new boiler, but won't be using British Gas.

One of their fitters lives next door to me, and always parks his van in front of my windows (just a few feet away) because he doesn't want to block his own windows. He has two parking spaces outside his own house and there are in fact plenty of places within a few steps where he could park without blocking anyone's view. The van was parked there without moving at all for six months over the first lockdown and is now there again over the. Christmas /New Year holidays. It's very depressing to have my windows constantly blocked by this ugly bright blue van

British Gas doesn't care about this. It is obviously happy for its bad-mannered employees to use their liveried vans to annoy their neighbours. I can't see why anyone would want to risk inviting someone with such bad manners into their home. Or why anyone would want to employ a company which doesn't insist its employees are more considerate towards prospective customers when parking the vans they have been allocated.

andyg286
January 14th, 2022

Appalling product, appalling service. New boiler and tank fitted 18 months ago. It keeps cutting out, losing pressure and we don't have hot water or central heating. We have called BG out 5 times as part of our Homecare plan. They are slow to respond, tried to go to an address we lived at 25 years ago! Promised they would be here before 6pm today, didn't turn up then claimed they were booked for the next day (which they weren't). We had a service booked for next week which they can't find any record of and cancelled without telling us. I wouldn't trust this company to run bath. Terrible service.

Avoid British Gas Homecare

Boiler

danielh1752
August 18th, 2021

They lied to me. British gas trading limited do not deserve the name British the great British public need to know the truth about bg they are lies and cheats. And they charge me a daily standing charge when i was cut off from my supply

Be very careful

Barter

prettypissedoffc
March 2nd, 2022

British Gas call centre staff (After I get past the half hour wait to be answered) cannot understand a simple query about my smart meter readings and the fact that I cannot enter Gas meter readings on line. The call handler could not understand I wanted to increase my direct debit, which by the way can't be done on the website on the customer account page, and when I asked to change my direct debit (as most customers will soon need to do) I was put on hold for 10 minutes, then cut off. Absolute crap!

Come on British Gas, get your act together. Improve your call centre training and get the website and App working properly for basic functions like meter readings and Direct Debit management, or when the energy crisis has passed, your customer base will be reduced to the old folk who never change their supplier until they die, and the idiots who never bother to check for a better deal elsewhere.

Shocking and unacceptable service!

Tip for consumers:
For now, not much choice. In the future, avoid like the plague.

Gas

stephenn695
April 3rd, 2022

A engineer capped our gas fire because he said a flu was damaged not only is this flu nothing to do with the fire he should have noticed that the dimensions were all wrong for this flu to be connected to a fir. On this engineer advise we had a very expensive fitted then when we had a new fire fitted we were told that the flu liner was not required as the chimney is clay lined & never fail so British Gas should refund the cost of fitting the flu liner then having it removed

Tip for consumers:
If British Gas do anything for you get a second opinion first or you could loose out

robertb3782
October 16th, 2020

As part of its "Homecare" package BG offer an annual service but they never turn up
The automated client care system ensures you can never speak to a human
Avoid at all costs

ceciliab121
August 12th, 2021

Left them in April and settled bill before closing account. For email in August saying I owe them money and am being referred to debt collection agency. Looked them up online and they have quite the history of customer harassment

andrewm1694
July 2nd, 2021

Terrible customer service - seemed completely unable to pick up a phone despite several opportunities. She lied to me time and time again. Do not trust this company they will steal your money, falsely charge you, pretend to refund you and then not pick up the phone

Tip for consumers:
GET OUT! - Change supplier asap!

Pay as you go energy

ellaf57
December 17th, 2021

I would Give 0 star if I could!
This company is absolutely dreadful! Do not use them.
They take as much money from you as possible, and they do not care. Customer service is awful (you get spoken to like a 2 year old) and when you have a concern they are just bothered about taking a payment from you.

peters2020
November 8th, 2021

I was switched to British Gas because previous electricity supplier PFP Energy went bust. Since the date of the switchover on 02/11/21 our economy 7 heating has not come on. Freezing cold house for over a week and no resolution in prospect. Due to a number of medical conditions my partner is considered to be extremely vulnerable. So far have made 4 separate phone calls to BG customer service totalling 4.5 hours. I have been lied to, fobbed off, and cut off. These people are totally incompetent. With the last phone call, i thought i was actually getting somewhere and an engineer visit was arranged for today - he never turned up!
Their online live chat does'nt work. Their online complaints form does'nt work. There complaints email address is'nt monitored! Have tried contacting them through Twitter - as yet no satisfactory reply.
How can a company the size of British Gas be SO BAD?

Avoid at all costs.

Electricity Supply

dereke59
September 2nd, 2021

I have been a customer of British gas on the electric key meter side I have complained for years about how high our bills were and that we were being overcharged I have since found out after trying to leave them that my bill is double that to which a 2 bedroom property should be I gained a debt which we had been paying off and I asked for a settlement figure they then received my payment in full I explained that I was joining another company and not only did they not remove the debt but also blocked my move because of the debt I paid I have made more than 9 calls to British gas regarding this whole issue were I have been lied to and not received phone calls back when promised one.to make things worse they told me to top up with them again and when I put the key in the meter it would clear the debt I have tried this now at 2 different shops and spent 25 mins in the last trying to achieve this however to no avail in my experience the customer service is non existence and everything thing I told the people who answer in a far off land I had clearly just wasted my breath if you read this please take note so you don't encounter the problems I have had myself

jamalmz
October 2nd, 2021

British Gas Electric is terrible. I transferred to this company from Bulb and they got the start readings wrong and also put me on the highest tariff instead of the prepayment one. They then sent me a bill for 680 pounds and it took weeks to complain. They then sent a bill for 74 pounds and soon after rebilled me 184 pounds! All this for 30 odd days of being with them. Fortunately I left them quickly but the complaints process went on and on during which time they sent in debt collectors and charged a further 28 pounds in admin fees while my complaint was with the Ombudsman and although the ombudsman found in my favour they could not get the 28 pounds extra removed and they did not follow the decision of the ombudsman to split the full use into a day and night reading using econonomy 7. It took 5 months and I gave up in the end. They are the worst company I have ever run across and have used every trick in the book to decive and cheat you the consumer and are even vindictive about having complained about their shoddy business practice. Keep well clear of this lot!

Tip for consumers:
Do not joine British Gas Electric they will cheat on the metre readings !

Products used:
Switched back to EDF who are 100 times better in customer service and they gave me credit for the incorrect readings British Gas created for me and the trouble they caused over 5 months

bosedea2
April 20th, 2022

F I could give a zero star I will. I bought a property a year ago (2021) that has not been lived in for the previous 2 years. My gas supplier was changed to british gas. The property is unoccupied and the previous gas supplier was made aware of this. Despite the property being unoccupied, british gas continues to bill me monthly. All appliances were removed in April 2021 including radiators so no gas has been used till date. It is impossible to get through to anyone via their live chat or on their number. This is a rip off and I will be going through the complaints procedure. I will also be changing my supplier as this is definitely no way to treat to customer. This is wrong and British gas should be ashamed of themselves for ripping customers off.

deanp247
January 10th, 2022

Took out boiler maintenance contract with British Gas. It had been only a few weeks since one of their engineer had come out and serviced the boiler, he failed to realise it was in an unusable bad state and left it running saying it was fine, few weeks later it brokedown in the middle of winter we were without hot water, when I requested for an engineer I was told their engineers were on strike and that I should contact another company to get it looked at. I was quoted between £300.00 to £500.00 an hour, when I informed British Gas of these extortionate costs they said it was not their problem that I could not afford it. Luckily a friend suggested I try a company he knew off who charged £110.00 to tell me the boiler is in a very dangerous state and that it was beyond repair, I was also told that the British Engineer who last serviced it should have realised the boiler was in a dangerous state. British Gas quoted me £3500 for a new boiler install, I got the job done for only £1800 by another comapany.
Not did they only leave my family with a boiler in dangerous state they were inconsiderate and uninterested in providing any form of help at our desperate hour, yet they had our money for the year's contract. I will never use this company again! They sent out a cowboy engineer who did not know what he was doing? And left us with a dangerous faulty boiler in running state.

derekb442
March 31st, 2022

Unfortunately British Gas has become my supplier, after my previous energy company folded. BG has, without consultation or them following the Ofgem guidelines, put me onto a prepayment meter account. As a disabled person who cares for another disabled person, this clearly defines my household as vulnerable, but this did not stop BG cutting off my gas supply, I did not realise my Smart Meter was now converted to a prepayment meter, as I had not been consulted, that I needed to put credit onto my smart meter, so far over six phone calls, over three hours of trying to explain, emails to Chis OShea, my MP, Ofgem, still no joy at all.

Tip for consumers:
Do not bother with the customer service, they are based in Africa, and if your problem is not found on there script, they terminate the call.

Gas Supply

jimd46
March 22nd, 2021

Homecare boiler cover policy is just a scam!

Homecare boiler cover policy is just a scam to take your money!
Had a fault with my boiler late last year. Engineer called and carried out what I can only describe as a temporary fix.
This proved correct, as the identical issue arose about 3 weeks ago. Requested a further engineer visit and got an email confirming my appointment slot for Tuseday 23/3/21. ( about a two week wait!)
However, 3 days before engineer was due to call, BG phoned to say the engineer visit was cancelled and they would be able to re-arrange vist for sometime in June! ( several months away!)
Suffice to say I found this to be totally unacceptable!
I had a confirmed appointment slot and failed to see why this could not be honoured!
I have had to pay for an engineer tocall out and complete a proper repair to my boiler, which wasn't cheap. Cancelled my direct debit with this bunch of robbers and will never deal with BG again!

Service contract

victoriap237
September 1st, 2020

Canceled 2 appointments in a row. Both appointments were canceled the day of the appointments, less then an hour before the slot has run out. After the first cancellation I was reassured a number of times it cannot be canceled twice in a row ( the timing was important to me). Yet they canceled it anyway

ryanb926
July 23rd, 2021

British gas are a complete rip off we moved in to are new house thay changed us £872 for 3 and half months supply. The house is a 3 bed semi

cleopatrag5
January 28th, 2022

If there was a -5 you would get it! Well done again for being the WORST ENERGY SUPPLIER IN THE COUNTRY! Honestly, I've asked repeatedly for a smart meter and pay as you go electric and gas- as a new customer, this is what I signed up for. But British Gas make up their own mind and now I have one prepayment meter, one pay monthly and NO smart meter! Well done to you British Gas, is it that difficult. Because I DON'T want a pay monthly account, I need to speak to you, you have now put negative markers on my credit file. DISGUSTING! I've asked you again and again and again for a smart meter and gas and electric on pay monthly! Seriously how difficult. I swear I'll put this story everywhere I feel like contacting the papers and I'll be contacting the ombudsman! It's not like I can ever get through on the phone lines - I'm sure if I plaster it all over every review site and Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, you might listen!

chrisb1798
October 20th, 2020

We joined BG in May ‘19 and the first seven months seemed fine. Around Xmas they began doubling the monthly DD without writing, or writing and confirming a lower amount. I reclaimed and paid manually to protect my mortgage payments. Battled on to correct estimated start readings. Maintained original payment schedule and initiated leaving early June with a modest credit on the accounts.

Received three bills in mid July (after account closure) claiming I owed £154, then £194, then £249. On receipt of first bill, asked BG to prove the debt. Despite regular contact and repeated requests, it failed to do so. In Sept, BG placed 3 late markers on my credit file for the disputed debts (2 gas and 1 electricity), which has derailed an ongoing mortgage application.

Raised a claim with ombudsman and discovered that BG had placed us on the standard (most expensive) tariff and backdated this to January, that BG had also increased the debt to £336 added an additional £28 ‘debt recovery fee' and forwarded to a debt collection agency during investigation by the ombudsman. This is contrary to FCA sourcebook guidance. I have received no justification for the increases after account closure.

The markers have reduced my mortgage offer by £80k-£100k and forced us to radically downscale our aspirations. Instead of looking forward to buying our dream home with our two small children we're are struggling to raise enough to even remortgage our current home!

Even after being forced to pay hundreds of pounds in disputed debt in full (on a without-prejudice basis) to its debt collection agency, British Gas refuses to remove the late markers. After following BGs advice to escalate to the ombudsman, BG refuses to speak to/correspond with me on the matter. I am left hundreds of pound out of pocket and essentially unmortgagable!

Taking out a British Gas contract ranks amongst the worst decisions I've ever made. It's no exaggeration to state that British Gas have ruined my family's dreams!

COME ON, British Gas, do the right thing and remove the late markers. Don't punish my children for the dispute you have with me!

sarahh507
May 2nd, 2019

BRITISH GAS LIARS, SCAM AND RIP OFF
British Gas both supply and maintenance is a total rip off and they are scamming customers.
They state that they service and check your boiler with an annual service and they check that your central heating is in good working order.
This is totally untrue they don't check your central heating at all.
That makes it a scam because they falsely advertise it as part of the annual service.
Mine was supposedly checked and signed off by them however 3 valve leaks occurred in a very short time one the same leak twice causing considerable damage to a newly decorated kitchen.
They try to say they are not responsible, but the damage was caused by sheer incompetence of their lazy engineer who did not check the central heating system at all.
Their policy also states accidental damage is included.
I would like to know how they are checking a central heating system is in good working order without so much as turning it on and checking each radiator is hot and does not need bleeding.
This is false advertising by them and a scam to con people out of money.
Many people have stayed with them years because they think it is a hassle to change but it is very easy to change suppliers.
It's actually very easy and can be done with a simple phone call to any other supplier.
British gas also is ripping people off on the cost of gas and electric.
Standing charges and unit charges are much cheaper with other suppliers there are now many.
Don't think they treat loyal customers of many years any different because they do not
British gas is a rip off company who could not care less about their customers.
According to the press British gas are losing nearly 100000 customers a month as people wake up to better service and prices from other suppliers.

British Gas are totally useless and a waste of space.
My report now goes to the financial ombudsman.
My assessment of the situation is exactly what happened.
British Gas was given every opportunity to sort the situation out amicably and after dealing with them locally they failed to even respond to a complaint letter sent to head office.
The sheer arrogance of this company is unbelievable and don't be fooled by there false advertising.
My advice is keep clear of this scam company.
They also after 2 weeks still have not returned an overpayment of £160 if next week l still don't receive it l will issue county court debt proceedings against them.
I terminated both my accounts with them and changed suppliers on 25th March.
2weeks ago they said I would receive a cheque in 3 -5days MORE LIES!
I spoke to these incompetent fools again today they have not even processed my refund they just told me it will be another 10 days.
The way this company now operates is totally beyond belief.
What a totally ridiculous reply from British gas had the incompedent engineer tested the system to be be in a safe working condition as per British Gas advertising he would have found the leak but as he failed to check the system was in a safe working condition he did not find it. As previously stated how is BG checking a Central heating system properly without even switching it on? Lt is a ludicrous reply which by the way is also supposedly covered for accidental damage so either way British Gas are responsible.The amount of bad reviews this lousy company has just goes to prove how bad they really are.

Questions? Get answers from the British Gas staff and other customers.

British Gas is the largest UK energy and home services company. We supply gas and electricity, boilers and boiler cover as well as other home services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about British Gas?

Have a question about British Gas?