Review of Acorn TV

support@acorn.tv

24 reviews with 2 stars

paulm1006
11/15/18

I had Acorn in the US and now that I'm in Latin America I subscribed again. The content is good - the App works well and the picture quality is fine. What isn't good is finding out that the amount of content licensed for outside of the US seems to be VERY - and I can't stress that enough - limited. Every new program isn't available. On going back to Acorn their response is that some programs aren't licensed for the country I'm in. I don't doubt it, but Acorn seem to keep that information to themselves (probably to the point of misrepresentation) both in their sign up materials and in all of the messages they send advising of new content.
Rolling this out internationally to more expats seems to have been badly thought out. If they don't hold the copyright for countries then why make the service available?

helenem25
10/6/18

What is going on with Acorn TV. I used to be able to watch without any streaming issues on my Samsung 4K Smart TV, lately the videos freeze up and re-set and then I have to go back to the main menu and scroll through the menus to resume watching. I want my money back, but I've paid through August 2019. I cannot get any response from Customer Service--do they have anyone at the Service Desk? I am so disappointed the quality and do not recommend Acorn TV anymore.

philm138
9/29/18

signed up for year subscription on 26 sept 2018 could not get app to work on samsung 4k tv, emailed Acorn on 27th and again on the 28th no reply so assuming they must all be on holiday lol and asked them how to get the app working. thenon sept 28th 2018 noticed as of the 27th samsung no longer recognises the acorn app. Did samsung just say that the morning of the 27th and was it a surprise to Acorn?? on the Acorn web site said that you can get Acorn Tv through Amazon Prime but no instructions how to do it. Seems they dont care they got my years subscription money so now have to try to get it back.

Tip for consumers: DON'T GET FOOLED BY THE CHEAP MONTHLY PRICE IF YOU CANNOT GET ALCORN TO WORK ON YOUR TV THEN THE CHEAP PRICE IS EXTREAMLY EXPENSIVE

donalds238
7/16/18

I like many of the offerings on Acorn. But getting them to address the problems with their application is very difficult. A problem recently arose where, when I click on the series icons for Vera or Midsummer Murders, the Acorn application exits and takes me back to the Roku Home screen. Their supposed workaround isn't really workable. And, I agree that the new interface is a disaster, clunky, slow, and missing vital functionality that was available in the previous version.

elizabeths415
5/21/18

The new update is awful. You've taken an excellent service and have made it hard to enjoy any more. Your shows are fine - but it's impossible to navigate the new interface. It's busy, kludgy, and sloppy. Why did you take the Watch List away? Often that was the easiest and most efficient way to continue watching a set of shows. Was Acorn sold to someone else - who's now working on the cheap? Something really bad happened. Get your act together.

sharonk164
5/17/18

My Watch List never updates, so I have to search for the same show every time I log in. What a bother. I can't believe Acorn hasn't fixed this yet. It's been over a month...no response to email about the issue. Acorn should post a notice to their website admitting that there is a problem and committing to a fix date. Radio silence is not cool.

cind
5/10/18

The newest upgrade really messed up AcornTV taking away all of the wonderful things that made Acorn one of the best for streaming. They went backward instead of forward. If that wasn't bad enough, the past two days Acorn will not play any videos on our Roku devices. Customer service must be non-existent because they never write back. We have had AcornTV for years and until this latest upgrade, I would have easily given them 5 stars. Now that I can't play any of their videos and customer service ignores me, it's down to 2 stars. I went with 2 because they used to be great, and I'm hoping they get their act together. If not, we won't renew and will take our business to Britbox.

violeta4
5/10/18

I like the diversity of the new shows! But I hate the new Format! Go back to the previous format! Also I used to be able to the rate a show on the spot and see the rating of specific shows and now I cannot longer do that!

gregorym61
4/27/18

Prior to the upgrade Acorn worked fine. My ROKU automatically upgrades all channels so one day I turned it on and noticed a major format change. No problem, I watched two shows Problemthe shows were never recorded in my recently watched list. To watch additional episodes I had to go back to search and find the shows. Emailed Acorn and their response was upgrade the Acorn channel on your ROKU. That is what caused the problem. I suspect all Acorn users now have a beta version of the software. They should de-bug before implementing a new version. Emailed them again telling them their fix didnt work. Will see if I get a response.

moriaha1
3/18/18

BAD Customer Service. Limited choices. Older shows need remastering. Price is good. I mistakenly registered for one year. 48 hours later I tried to correct this. They would not give me a refund. All I received was a pre-written form email. Two days of unused access should not cost me a full year subscription.

maryanng25
1/1/18

Im not happy about watching shows with filthy language and explicit sex scenes and programs have no warnings to tell you! Not happy about this at all! This is my biggest complaint.

johnz78
8/15/17

Thought we would try Acorn mainly because we enjoy British and Australian mystery series, We cancelled as most of the the programs are "not available in your area." Very disappointed.

krish200
4/17/17

I don.'t know what their problem is, but their streaming is just awful most of the day. I do not have that problem with NETFLIX or Amazon, just Acorn. GRRRRRR

carls90
3/28/17

We wait for monday when we will have new shows. Nothing but Murdock, which we love but no good mysteries. Dominion creek is nothing more than a canadian DEADWOOD. We are not crazy about PIE IN THE SKY. Rake maybe good, we don't care for it. We have started to go to other channels to get FATHER BROWN. What's going on with you guys? We loved Acorn at first but now you are going the wrong way.

dianaf2
3/26/17

I had a email or password problem while setting up an additional Roku in another room. When I tried to sign into Acorn it would not recognize my email and or password. There is no customer service number on the website and you can only email them. Also, it seems that they do not work weekends since I have had no response to my email. Maybe i"ll switch to BritBox. I did request an reset link be sent to my email on file, but no reset email was ever sent.

janetf30
2/10/17

Love the shows. Love them.

However, there are consistent problems with programs buffering and stuttering. I have very fast wi-fi and a fast, powerful computer. But still the problems.

I have to wonder why I have no problems of this kind at all with Amazon Prime or even YouTube. Just Acorn TV.

Tried contacting customer service. Two weeks later I got an email back that had nothing to do with the problem. So whoever wrote it hadn't even read my email.

This service is cheap for a reason.

marshap9
12/5/16

I have had Acorn subscriptions off and on since 2013. After an "off" period due to heavy work schedule, I recently renewed so I could catch up on a couple of series that are not available elsewhere. Much to my dismay, I've discovered that the streaming feature has apparently gone straight downhill, with numerous lags, stalls, and skips.

Since I renewed the subscription in October 2016, I have noticed buffering problems that were never there in past subscriptions. Also, the episodes will sometimes suddenly freeze, then abruptly skip ahead to the end of the episode, bypassing the stuff in the middle. But the worst problem happens if I try to pause the show in mid-episode (to answer the phone, grab a cup of coffee, etc.) and then resume play after a few minutes. Some of the time, the audio resumes playing but the video picture remains frozen, but most of the time, the episode just won't restart. I have to reload the site, clear the cache and all cookies, and then restart. At which point, the episode resumes playing from the very beginning and there is no way to fast forward to the point where it left off. Very frustrating. I see by numerous forum posts, here and on other sites, that this is an ongoing problem but Acorn is apparently unable or unwilling to fix it. I sent a complaint several weeks ago but received no response. After another week of very frustrating "service" and no way to speak to a human being at Acorn about the problem, I'm about to cancel my account and request a refund for the remaining portion of my yearlong subscription.

kayp28
8/24/16

I love the things that are listed on Acorn TV. The service just doesn't work. Videos freeze. I have Netflix and can play other video services just fine. It is too frustrating to try to watch things that freeze, need to be restarted, etc. I can see by other sites that I'm not the only one with this problem. Tech support seems to tell most people it isn't Acorn's issue, but I don't have problems on other services . . . just theirs. If these issues are addressed and fixed, I'd sign up again in a heartbeat.

helenm89
8/14/16

What happened to the "WATCHLIST" on Samsung Smart TV's ??? I've been a yearly subscriber to Acorn TV since Day #1 .. and up until 2 months ago .. the WATCHLIST segment has completely disappeared. I find myself handicapped without the Watchlist .. and am totally frustrated !! My version of Acorn TV has not been updated since September 2015. I would think that a major asset of Samsung Smart TV would be shaking hands with Acorn TV .. but apparently this is definitely NOT the case. Sad .. very sad !!

charlenev3
7/25/16

7/26/16
Right now, I am not able to access the Acorn TV site. Well, actually, when I click on Acorn TV, it does bring up the categories: "new releases," "browse all," etc.; however, when I click on "browse all" it jumps back to Acorn TV. Earlier in the evening, I was viewing the new series MARTIN. I had to leave, and when I came back to it, I had a message saying that I had exceeded the number of streaming sites (or something like that), and that I must disengage the other sites. I do not subscribe to any other sites. It is a humongous mess!

rudolfr
7/20/16

I like what's on offer, but over the last six months, the pimply faced Millenials who do thte UI programming have gotten rid of a fast, easy to use interface, imposed an alpha version of a new interface that doesn't work -- the player stops unpredictably, the menu items fail and the whole thing runs like cold molasses. A shame, because a lot of the stuff is very good -- and the clinkers can be avoided.

sherriek
7/14/16

I have tried to log in several times over the last 2 hours and nothing is happening.
After reading all the negative reviews, I am considering cancelling my account. Great shows if I could only see them.......

patm96
2/11/16

Agree with other reviewers. Support is not there.
Have trouble watching shows without restarting them every 5 minutes.
Use the App on the new Apple TV, it stopped and it couldn't be started until I
deleted the Acorn app and reopened it. All worked fairly well until the new update.
Don't like the update at all. Sure wish tech support was better
I wouldn't' recommend it unless there is another update to fix the bugs

markk88
1/14/16

Love the shows available on the site. Works pretty much seamlessly on multiple devices such as windows machines and ROKU. Painless to set up. However, 10 days ago my login password stopped working on all devices except my windows machine. DOn't know if I forgot the PW or what. I use the reset password function on the sign in screen but never get the password reset email. I do know my email is the correct email for this Acorn account since at least that is acknowledged as valid. Tried their tech service number, but all I get is VM. Good luck getting help if you ever need it. Their support sucks the big one.....

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV