US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

pattym12

One of which is that it forces you as an owner to log into the dashboard which is a change that Flipkey made. (in 92 reviews)

mattc42

Vrbo customer service is a complete disaster and a horrible experience every time. (in 15 reviews)

normp1

I have an arrangement with a rental/property manager that requires renters' payments go through that company. (in 5 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

eevw
2/27/15

I submitted a negative review about a dump I rented in Jersey City. Needless to say that either the owner (most likely), or VRBO removed the post. Removal of reasonable negative reviews is misleading to renters, and flat out wrong!

sabrinal9
2/19/15

I have had my properties on VRBO for years. Their customer service has gone from marginal to bad to atrocious. They do absolutely nothing for either the property owners or renters. I imagine them sitting in a room rubbing their hands together like Mr. Burns from the Simpson's, diabolically trying to figure out ways to take more money from each us. I have never, ever felt more frustrated dealing with a company. Their incompetence far exceeds that of the post office, DMV or any airline. Shame on anyone that works there.

Tip for consumers: Do not use their internal booking system. It causes communication problems between the property owners renters, as well as adds fees.

deborahs28
2/19/15

I have been using VRBO for several years. When I first started the online booking system was simple to use and if I called for customer service I got it.

Over the years though, getting customer service has grown increasing more difficult. Once I got to a person, they were always great but getting to a person was hard! Speed of response time to a potential visitor is critical. You just can't wait around for help, you end up losing the rental. And they keep changing their online booking system and it is not an improvement! More complicated, I wonder if my visitors are receiving the right email.

Recently I asked for help, called their phone number and there was a 50 minute wait time. 50 minutes! So I thought maybe an email would be faster. I sent the email and got an automatic response that somebody would get back to me but after 2 days I sent another email. That was 2 weeks ago and I have had no response. I did call again and was told the 50 minute wait related to a scam that was attacking the website (not very reassuring!). I'm very fed up. I did end up being able to solve the initial problem but I shouldn't have to do that for the amount of money that they are getting from me. I'm going to check out other sites, maybe travel advisor.

satyamp
2/12/15

Terrible service. Useless website. Will take your visa and charge multiple times then get visa calling you because its "overdrawn". But despite overcharging (X6) they still don't confirm the reservation.

then they will argue with visa on a 3 way call as to who is at fault.

Then they will hang up on you (twice)

Then they will admit they screwed up and apologize and ask for another credit card to screw up so they can hold the reservation.

Use Airbnb.
Or pay cash to the renter.
Don't use vrbo or bother with their inept staff.

kathrynh8
2/11/15

VRBO WILL NOT Print our warning about a miserable experience we had with # 110 280 95 in Del Mar Californai. The owner of the property took our down payment and immediately spent it. We had ninety days to change our mind. We lived in Denver so a local cousin visited the property and found it not at all as it was described: it was noisey, dirty, worn and terribly overpriced. With plenty of time left on the contract we decided to cancel. THE OWNER said he did not have the money to pay us back. After more than five months and with the help of Visa we did get it but it was an awful experience and VRBO WAS OF NO HELP. ONLY SECURE PROPERTY WITH A CREDIT CARD IS OUR WARNING. Kathryn Hight

joesephj2
2/3/15

Stay - AWAY from VRBO. We had a horrible experience over the Christmas holiday with a rental in Mission Bay (San Diego). Owner misrepresented the property on the VRBO website (elevator) which we were told to avoid just days before we arrived, filthy kitchen sink and utensils (why pay the $200 cleaning fee...?) bedding STUNK -- and yellow stained, comforter torn; grill advertised as in great shape (corroded, rusty, broken parts, put out a match-sized flame). Oh, and the 4TV's ! One got cable reception. Others either didn't work at all or had no remote.
So we went back to VRBO and HomeAway (yes, we were fooled/tricked into buying their insurance), who said our complaints were not material to the condition of the property ??? and we had to work it out with the owner. We asked for a partial refund. He refused, so we left negative feedback on the VRBO website - which was pulled because the owner said we threatened negative feedback. What a slimy operator. In our process to "work it out with the owner' (per VRBO's recommendation) we demanded a refund in exchange for NO FEEDBACK. When he declined, we told him we would post appropriate and factual feedback...which we did. If you want the details (owner name and VRBO property number, please email me at ttrestorations at a o l dot com and I will gladly share the experience.

Tip for consumers: STAY away from VRBO, HomeAway insurance. You can expect a horrible experience (which explains why there are so many negative reviews !)

rebs
1/29/15

Here is their info: Owners are: Brian Sharples & Carl Shepherd Address: 1011 West Fifth Street, Austin Texas 78703, Tele: 512-684-1110. You should report them to the better business bureau, bb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/advertising-directory-and-guide/homeaway-inc-in-austin-tx-90020648, You can also report them to Federal trade commission: http://www.ftc.gov/, you can also report them to: Travis county district attorney's office: tele: 512-854-9400, they are breaking Anti-trust laws by buying out all the competition and robbing the consumers of choices of other vacation rentals. They are CROOKS in my Opinion, REPORT them!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT SIGN UP WITH VRBO, HOMEAWAY.COM, VACTIONRENTALS.COM AND TONS OF OTHER SITES THEY OWN!

genef11
1/20/15

VRBO removes your email address from all of your and your clients emails (both in your text and in the address spot).
I'd like to communicate directly with my customers without VRBO or anybody else listening in. They are taking the email address of our customers, so they can send direct advertisements
and sales promtions of products (like insurance) to them. As well I suspect for properties that they manage in direct competition with every advertisers on their site. A big conflict of
interest does not sound like a good business decision for very long.
They never asked for our permission or our customers. They started this about a year
ago, claiming it was for security reasons, when it is clearly for profit. No one goes to VRBO to contact them, they go to see our properties and contact us, not VRBO. It feels like the NSA spying. They are stealing our contacts in an attempt to force us all to recieve payment through them not directly from our customers.
Any owners who are lawyers? Is any of this legall? They are in Texas where who knows what they can get away with, but this is inter-sate and, in my case, international. Greed is the obvious villian here ever since the crooks bought it. How can we stop them?

jimc93
1/8/15

HomeAway.com, VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com have completely changed their websites to be combined into one collective pool and they are trying to control how travelers and property owners communicate with each other. It's horrible for travelers and property owners.

They are also desperately trying to convince travelers to use their online booking payment system and telling property owners that 85% of people want to book using their online payment system. The real reason is they will charge the traveler and property owner a fee to book that way.

This new format also makes it harder for travelers and property owners to communicate in a personal way leaving unsatisfied travelers and property owners. I paid my yearly fee and within 1 month and with no notification they changed their site and basically ruined my short term rental business that I've spent 4 years building up with 5 star ratings. When I asked for a refund they refused, which confirmed to me that they are acting unscrupulously.

I tryed contacting the Better Business Bureau and none of the 3 sites can be found. If I was a traveler this would make me question their business practices.

This review is not ment as a rant since I have booked a multiple yearly lease which profits about the same for me. I do feel an obligation to warn travelers and property owners of their business practices as I own another successful company which can be easily found on the Better Business Bureau site and we have an A+ rating after being in business for over 10 years.

My advise if you use them for booking is to bypass the automated system and fees, and contact the property owners directly, or find other sites to book from that are more reputable. Thanks and good luck. -Jim

Tip for consumers: Horrible service for travelers and property owners.

maryg64
12/31/14

VRBO.com was great…until HomeAway got its paws on it and took it over. HomeAway is absolutely horrible to its paying customers, the homeowners. They browbeat us to get us to comply with their wishes so that they may cater to the nonpaying customers, those seeking vacation rentals. The end result is a miserable experience for BOTH the homeowner AND the renter. We are penalized if we don't sign up for certain options..yet the options make running our rentals very difficult. They diminish our relationship with our Guests. Guests get endless annoying emails from Homeaway, and that reflects on us homeowners, and then we have to send more emails apologizing for Homeaway. The final straw for me, though, was being banned from the Community forum, where we're supposed to be able to go to discuss these things, by a thoroughly unprofessional and incompetent moderator, who is power hungry but arbitrary. I said absolutely nothing wrong..no profanity, no threats, no personal attacks, nothing. I was told I couldn't use certain words..'monopoly', "dictatorship', 'authoritarian". I am not kidding. THAT is why she banned me, saying the words are "antagonistic". So they censor even their paying customers, silence them…HomeAway resembles more a ruthless authoritarian regime than a Web site meant to allow homeowners to present their homes to people looking for vacation homes.

It has become unbearable, and I will not be renewing my subscription when it ends next month. I feel dirty giving money to this company.

Stay away from HomeAway and its subsidiaries like vrbo.com.

For Cape Cod rentals, use weneedavacation.com, a wonderful vacation rental site. For other places, try to seek out boutique rental sites that cater to the specific area. HomeAway is a soulless, unscrupulous, authoritarian behemoth that believes renters and homeowners (who provide their inventory) are in service to THEM, not the other way around.

betsyt3
12/30/14

Terrible, terrible site. The calendars are never updated, the properties that say they are available, aren't available and there are way too many condos or properties managed by rental agencies and not "owners" as the name of the site says. What a bunch of crap. I searched for weeks just to have every inquiry come back as unavailable. I won't be back.

michaelb190
12/26/14

Most all properties, I inquired about are not "for rent by owner" (VRBO, but are managed by companies. The calendar may show the property to be available, but most of the time, they are "already rented", when you contact the "owner". This seems hard to believe, when you do your research 6 months in advance. You may get an ok. on a property of your choice, but when it comes to finalizing the arrangement, there is a bait and switch. The pictures are great, and the research can be fun, but honestly in 6 years, I actually only finalized two rentals, and we take two longer vacations a year.

Tip for consumers: Be cautious

jeffm75
12/22/14

Beware, after being told vetting of owners is a part of VRBO policy, I see Mark Dewitt is still able to rent his condo at Kiawah Island through VRBO. He has multiple complaints, and now an arrest for impersonating a police officer in Charleston, SC. He allegedly also offered cash for sex. After we had a dispute on a rental from Dewitt, we contacted VRBO about their representation policy. Several run around emails, I gave up getting an answer. VRBO is only about their money. They will never have the renters back.

carolf21
12/10/14

For all you owners out there that are having problems with VRBO, I have also listed on www.flipkey.com for a few years. It is not perfect but more user friendly than VRBO. Same deal where you cannot communicate directly with the prospective renter. They charge a booking fee to the guest and take a percentage of the rent from the owner if you want to list that way. The site is easier to use than VRBO and if you don't rent all that often you don't have to pay a high fee to list like on VRBO. I have had some good guests from this site but not as many as I ever got from VRBO. I will not be renewing VRBO and am still looking for other sites. Post something please if you fine a good vacation rental site for individual owners. Thanks.

jettec
12/6/14

I am not a happy customers anymore have been on vrbo since 2009 and have not any of my customers been able to do a booking for the last 3 month I am not getting anywhere and am put on hold for 20 or better minuts then they had phone nr with our missing area code so far have lost thousand of dollars in 2014 most of time we are book by chrismas don't know have tried to look up other places but all are own by home away does any one know where I can advertise Regards Jette clark

emgtg
12/4/14

!! ZERO Stars!! VRBO penalizes owners for choosing NOT to exposed their guests credit cards to VRBO hacking risk, NOT to let VRBO control our bookings, and NOT to allow VRBO to float our guests money for 7 days to generate interest for VRBO before we receive it. As a property owner with VRBO for the past 4 years we purchased a platinum membership and believed their loyalty and seniority sales speak. Even though our property maintains stellar ratings from the guests, VRBO pushed the property feature way down in their ratings because we would not enable their service "upsells" and expose our guests to undesirable consequences. signed VRBO HOSTAGE NO MORE.

vincentb
11/14/14

Have tried to contact VRBO home owners to book a rental, no response.
Very frustrating, and no prompting from VRBO to provide customer service.
I would drop homes that can not respond in a timely manner.

alicek3
11/13/14

I just recently stay at a great house in Costa Rica (#380060) Liberia...It was one of the best homes we have rented for the hoildays. The home itself is great high on the mountain,pool (Maintained) staff in hand and all our needs met.
The experience was probably one of the best ever,especially working directly with the owners themself. South America is worth the trip. Thankyou AK

monicag9
11/10/14

Is the worst costumer service.
The worst customer service I've ever met, besides being abusive, and bring us back some money. We booked on their website and it turns out to get to the apartment was not anything posted on the web. To reclaim from the first day, we were assured that we could leave the apartment and claim our credit card the refund of money because the apartment was not published and the owner never wanted to go through the same.
After 4 months, we have no podium recover our money and credit card compliant we still pay the same.
I do not recommend booking anything in this VRBO, if they have any problems I will never be solved.

johna335
11/5/14

I stayed at a VRBO property for 3 weeks recently and had a number of problems with the property (apartment).

At their request I submitted an honest, but negative review two weeks ago which met their guidelines and VRBO has not posted it claiming it did not meet their guidelines.

Only positive reviews for this property were posted for the property.

I called VRBO and was told that my review was still under review and may be posted.

Tip for consumers: Be a very skeptical consumer and request a very recent photograph of the room in the rental apartment. Avoid full advanced payment for an extended stay until arrival. Write a candid review of the property and hope it meets the review guidelines so that other travelers will not fine out after the owner has their money that the apartment does not correspond to the photographs and meet expectations.

normas4
10/17/14

WAIPOULI RESORT UNIT G306- Our family had an incredible vacation thanks to Yvonne, the owner of this unit. We have stayed at this resort before and chose this unit because Yvonne took the extra time to make us feel welcome. This condo had everything...comfort, view, surroundings; it even included fins, snorkels, masks, boogie boards, mats. coolers, chairs and even an umbrella. We swam with turtles, enjoyed the seals, ate and drank until we popped. We are planning a trip back next year. There is nothing negative I can say about this trip. Thank you Yvonne and Mickey for allowing us to share your home.

Tip for consumers: This is by far, the best unit at Waipouli Resort to rent. Worth every penny.

dianej14
10/16/14

My family rented VRBO 240500 in Stowe Vermont. We were asked to provide a separate check for the (very large) security deposit of $750. Prior to our arrival I wrote the owner and asked if we could bring our dog.

She replied IF I was willing to pay for additional cleaning costs. However, I was able to find another place for my dog while we were traveling and did not bring it.

The homeowner met us at the house and took us around for about 30 minutes, telling us to take off our shoes, how to open and close the windows and window coverings, how to work the tv, etc.

She could clearly see we did not have a dog with us, did not ask to see a dog, did not ask about a dog, and was there when the rest of the group finished emptying the car.

When it came time to get my security deposit back, she had cashed and KEPT the check, saying she was keeping it because we brought a dog.

The terms of the contract say that after the property is found to be in good condition, the deposit would be returned. I have contact the owner, as well as VRBO, but the owner refuses to return the deposit. Further, she has not even documented what her "additional expenses" were, but simply kept the entire amount.

VRBO does not stand behind the contracts, and the owner certainly did not comply with hers.

In addition, the property was noisy with 3 different construction projects going on around it, starting at 7AM 6 days a week.

andrewm114
10/13/14

My wife and I rented a magnificent house this past June and July at a property called Arnauton, located in Beraut, the Gers, France. The website is arnauton.com. It needs to be seen to be believed: 8 bedrooms, 6 beth rooms, a large swimming pool, a large playroom, protected outdoor eating areas, beautifully landscaped, wonderfully managed, and more. This home was lovingly and impeccably restored by the owners, Tony and Barbara Mackintosh. It is located in an area of southwest France known as the Gers but better known to most people as Gascony, where the Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan roamed.

adelaidel
10/11/14

I've been a vrbo customer for 6 years and was happy with them until the last couple of year, especially since they started this new "response rating". Right now, because I didn't know exactly how it works because it was never explained properly, my rating is 66%, although I respond immediately. I've been told by a customer rep that this will be on my vrbo site at the end of the month for potential customers to see, which looks as though it takes me two days to respond. I've been reading some other complaints on this site, and like me, a lot of you don't realize you can access your potential customer's email and phone number, but have to know how to do it. You have to go into your vrbo dashboard to retrieve it. Once you click on "phone number", you get credit for the response. I just learned this. Anotherwards, vrbo makes you "jump through hoops" to communicate with a potential customer that saw your ad that YOU PAID FOR. What concerns me is vrbo is going to try to "control" our business to the point where we won't have access to our customers' email addresses or phone numbers. Once that happens, I'm done with the company.

It's too bad that a company that started out as such a wonderful company has been ruined by fixing things that are not broken. I predict that eventually another company will eventually realize how to do it right, and vrbo will no longer be a monopoly.

sukieh
10/10/14

VRBO.com listing #379041. Non-potable water, Boulder, Colorado

Renter Beware!

In July 2014 my brother rented this house for a family reunion with my sister and me, and our three spouses, for three days. The renovated house is beautiful, as is the setting, and looks just like the photos posted on VRBO. The description on VRBO.com is "Spectacular Mountain Style Home Just Minutes from Downtown Boulder!".

But -- before we rented, we didn't think to ask about whether or not we could drink the water. We flew in from Washington, Texas and California, arrived at the house and found that there was a sign posted over the kitchen sink (and in the renters' notebook), warning us not to drink the water, that it wasn't safe. As of that weren't bad enough, we then discovered that in the showers in both bathrooms, there was very low water pressure, just a tiny trickle of water to take a bath or shower.

Apparently, the house water is supplied by a well which is contaminated, and the pump on the well is underpowered.

You know, we weren't going to a Third World Country, we were flying into Boulder, and we didn't think to ask if we could drink the water. It didn't even enter our minds to ask about this ahead of time. Who knew? Fortunately, none of us is immunosuppressed, and fortunately, none of us got sick.

But it was a bummer. We didn't want to make a fuss because we wanted to enjoy our time together, without a lot of negativity, so we just put up with it -- where else would we have gone? We'd already flown into Boulder and previously paid our rental money (plus a cleaning fee and security deposit). But all of us were disappointed at best, and very, very angry at worst.

This information about the non-potable water should have been disclosed so that we could have had a choice about whether or not to stay there. I'm sure that the house is not up to county health standards, and that renting a house with non-potable water violates health codes.

The owner charged top dollar, plus a hefty cleaning fee, all for a house where we couldn't drink the water and had to bathe in a drizzle of water.

I want other people to know about the water situation at this house -- I don't want them to be surprised and disappointed the way we were. I cannot recommend this house to anyone else.

terryw37
9/30/14

I booked and paid a deposit on VRBO 596105 in Florida. I requested contact information and some more pictures of the unit. To date I have not heard back from them. I contacted VRBO for help. NOTHING!!! a lot of automatic generic replies making lots of promises but nothing when I asked for help. This was and is the first and last time I will use them for my winter vacation plans.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE FOR YOUR VACATION RENTALS!

rayp17
9/29/14

I am a traveler. Rented condo through VRBO site. Suffered a bait and switch scam by properity owner. Tried to post a review was ejected because I "didn't stay at the unit listed because the owner switched me to different unit". DA! Asked what unit I stayed at and VRBO said there was no listing for it. Trying to file a formal complaint with VRBO but guess what, it requires a listing number of the unit I stayed at. It seem the properity owner rents several similar condos under one listing.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it! If you do, buy the insurance protection and get a written contract from properity owner.

theresam14
9/28/14

They are so bad that they keep raising there prices and make it harder for owner to list! They give great discounts to business to list with them! They need to name this VRBrealtor?? come on guys this is terrible.

Tip for consumers: Pick vacationrental.com

normp1
9/25/14

VRBO has become an unfriendly site to both owners and renters. It now lowers the viewing ranking for properties that don’t use VRBO for renters’ payments and reservations. I have an arrangement with a rental/property manager that requires renters' payments go through that company. I have found my renters are happy to (1) make payments to an established company that is local to their rental and (2) have a local company they can turn to if problems arise. The service I provide to renters is superior to what they would get if I routed payments through VRBO, yet VRBO bumps me down the viewing list because I choose to provide better service to renters. If VRBO wants to make money from online payments by renters, it should just say so and charge owners who don’t choose the VRBO payments a premium. But discriminating against my property for the renter-friendly choice I make is ridiculous and an anti-competitive business tactic. LG

pattym12
9/25/14

Vrbo use to be a great site, but with all of the changes they've made it now is the top worst! One of which is that it forces you as an owner to log into the dashboard which is a change that Flipkey made. Makes me think VRbo is getting ready to buy Flipkey and changing things now with how they are run is just the beginning. I have about twenty two properties currently on VRBO and homeaway. It's a necessary evil till something better comes along!

nonen2
9/23/14

VRBO are useless when it comes to helping travelers get a refund of charges paid. We booked a condo through VRBO - it was not a cheap condo - and two weeks after we confirmed the booking and paid over $3100 deposit the owner turned around and cancelled the booking on us. They told us we would get a "full refund" but they did not process it.

we called VRBO to ask for help in getting our money back and they basically told us we were on our own and all they could do was "send them an email asking them to refund the money".

Eventually, we got a portion of the deposit back, but we are still waiting on over $500 which were the "fees" paid (I thought the owner paid the fees, not the traveler, but it seems that the owner is able to charge the fees to the traveler).

In any case, we are still waiting on the fee portion to be refunded. I have initiated complaints with VRBO and have started a chargeback on my credit card. The next step is to file a theft report with the police in the city in which the condo is located.

I would not rely on VRBO to be of any help if you have a dispute with the owners of a property. Just be warned that you are on your own. I would NEVER pay for anything like this through paypal. ALWAYS use a credit card so you have a modicom of protection.

dp29
9/14/14

I have listings on vrbo.com for 11 years, and it has become the worst run business I have ever worked with. They are constantly changing the requirements of the owners and adding so much clutter to what used to be a user-friendly site, and now they have gone too far: Not only can I not send pictures to those who inquire, they have a bot that spots when I try to give my PERSONAL email SO I CAN SEND PICTURES!! They will not respond to any of my complaints! They want me to pay for all my pictures, but that would make me have to raise my rates. HORRIBLE COMPANY! I am praying for another company(THEYARE ALSO HOMEAWAY.COM) to come to our aid.

karenn21
9/5/14

I am a property owner and have listed my property with VRBO for one year and just renewed for another year. The inquiries and rentals have been very satisfactory. I am a good communicator and get all the information requested by potential renters to them within a few hours. We have a good rental agreement explaining terms of the contract clearly. All of our reviews have been 4 & 5 stars. We just got our first bad review from a traveler who is unhappy that we held $90.00 from his $200.00 security deposit for not complying with the terms of the agreement regarding cleaning up after his two dogs and having a 5th person in the cabin and not paying for them. Other cleaning issues were noted and he did not lock the cabin when he left. He made several false statements, which I backed up with written proof to VRBO as being false. He used language that was offensive and called us names. I studied VRBO's guidelines and this review clearly violates at least 3 of them. However, VRBO is not willing to remove the review and claims there are no violations. It's frustrating that as owners who pay for the service, we are considered guilty until proven innocent and then we are not allowed to prove our innocence.

Tip for consumers: If you see one bad review among many other excellent reviews, you can pretty much figure that the renter was at fault. Always read the owner's response as well as the other reviews. When people get charged for being caught violating the rental agreement they signed and they thought they would get away with it, they tend to lash out with a bad review.

paull74
9/2/14

We stayed in an outstanding townhouse at Seagull Inn & Condominiums in Wells, Maine. We spent 2 weeks there and we loved it. We met the owner, Bob, who was truly concerned about our stay! We really loved it and would recommend it to anyone wanting to spend time near the beaches in southern Maine. We rented unit #60 which is very well appointed. Thanks to the owners for making our vacation such an enjoyable one!

chrisl75
8/25/14

VRBO is terrible for owners. Rising prices and forcing owners to use services we don't want or need will also translate to dissatisfied renters. They are currently the big fish in the pond, but disruptive technology will soon knock down their door. I am looking for alternative sites, as are many other owners. I am starting with VacationHomeRentals.com. VRBO Sucks!!

Tip for consumers: If you are a Vacation Property owner. Don't upgrade your VRBO listing - start using alternatives instead. Its time to send VRBO a message.

jeanh19
8/18/14

Review of property rental as VRBO selects only the positive reviews
Rehoboth Beach VRBO 66056, North Shore Seaglass rental property
This home was advertised as 6 bedrooms, it's not... it is 5 bedrooms with a converted walk in closet which the owner considered a bedroom. The home has not been well maintained. Many things were broken when we arrived - Outside shower, refrigerator, outdoor cushions in very poor condtion ripped/ torn/ stained. Pool table with cigarette burns and ripped felt. Back porch with upturned wooden boards - dangerous. Owner, Joan W was very rude and difficult to deal with. We still have not received our $1400 deposit back. I plan on taking her to small claims court.

Tip for consumers: http://www.vrbo.com/66056

ronw36
8/12/14

I have had two properties listed with VRBO for over 12 years. What with mergers and policy changes it now requires me to visit my listing 12 times a year to update the calendar that is not maditory to use. Also and guest who waited two years to post a review of one our properties believing some black marks in the the Knotty Pine varnish were mold by the shower. Nope Knotty pine turns black when exposed to any water spray. Never the less I contacted them and they would not remove it. However, their policy has not changed. A review must be posted within 12 months of a guests stay. that one was two years. When I asked why the policy change requiring 12 months the response was, "We found that postings after 12 months were malicious complaints Dah. So why when I bring this one to their attention wouldn't they want to correct or bring it in compliance with their new updated policy? I have heard they are desperate for negative complaints to counter the owner embellished anonymous postings. When I started they were the only game in town. Not true anymore. If at my renewal times that review is still posted I will not renew with them. I check my location Birch Bay Vacation rentals and 5 sites came up before VRBO on a goggle search..

virginiar6
8/11/14

The ruthless owner asks for a damage deposit, doesn't return it in a timely manner and then back charges you for using PayPal which was one of his options to pay. No where does he state that you will be charged. You can imagine my shock when I FINALLY got my damage deposit back, minus PayPal charges that PayPall charged him. I asked for proof of his disclosure, but of course none has been forthcoming and I don't expect it. He has not been cooperative and does not care about customer service or good public relations. While I know that this says VRBO, but HomeAway and VRBO are one in the same. I want to get the word out to everyone who might be thinking of renting from this gentleman, not to do it.

markd79
8/9/14

I am an owner of 2 vacation homes that i have had listed on vrbo for years. They have become "big brother'" in collecting your info and email correspondence. They no longer let the owner or inquirer see each others email. consequently i recommend that the owner and or inquirer call each other to get your respective email address and communicate directly
My inquirers also tell me that they get unsolicited follow up emails from vrbo. Vrbo has been successful thanks to all the home owners that paid to list their homes but their success has gone from a tool to connect 2 interested parties to wanting to OWN us.
We need new vacation rental sites to eliminate Vrbo's dominance.....i can't wait for other sites to take their market share. Please use other sites!!!

candaces2
8/7/14

Space was very clean and well-organized but VERY small. Headroom was lacking...a real problem for males standing at toilet. Also, we could occasionally smell propane when bedroom window over bed was open. It was difficult to have true privacy, due to owners" home right next door, close to deck. Driving past Mystery Spot attraction, on same road, can be challenging. Considering owner rents out much larger ( with full kitchen and table), bottom space for $125, Love Shack was not worth $110.

kj129
7/30/14

I have now visited several available properties online, emailed the "owner", only to find that the fantastic offers are NOT available despite what the calendars said, the owners are real estate managers, and they have many less attractive offers to peddle. Can you say bait and switch? I am very frustrated by this service. I do not trust VRBO.
-K

samj42
7/29/14

Vacation rental by owner? BS!!!
Owners have to pay a lot for the listing of their house!

The name is a scam!

At the end renter have to pay for it.

edl14
7/16/14

Tried to rent #494714 in Waikiki and was pushed to pay money via email to hold the suite and when I asked (Bill Leeds) a phoney name, to give info to legitimize his suite and himself he quickly said it had been rented and that was it. The calendar never filled up for those dates.
He said he was living in Portland and representing a Japanese lady who couldn't speak English yet she apparently had been sending me emails asking for money????
This suite is a scam!

nancys45
7/14/14

I was inquiring about property #3799990 on VRBO. com I was suspicious when owner wanted money wired directly into a bank account. This home no longer appears on site. Please beware. Not all are bad but just follow your gut!

gloriar4
7/11/14

I am a owner of property in Florida listed on vrbo.com. They have become controlling of your listing and communications. They now "hide" email addesses of the potential renters so you are FORCED to communicate through their "dashboard". I have recently found out that the these potential renters are not receiving my responding emails. Spoke to some idiot at vrbo and told me I would hear from someone in 1-3 days....really???? You are keeping me from renting my unit and you can't speak to me? I received an email a day later saying that that there was no problem with the emails and it probably was going into the spam box which was a total lie. OWNERS BEWARE!! If I can find a better site I will change in a New York Minute.

denisef9
7/8/14

We used VRBO as vacation renters for a few years prior to setting up our own VRBO. It's been almost a month since we listed and have had a good experience with booking clients and they have all be great people! We hope the experience continues this way. I was between giving them 3 or 4 stars and that was because of their software/website. It could be easier to use and it takes a few HOURS to update your changes so that is weird in this age of instant changes elsewhere on the web. Also, not easy to find a way to get your questions answered. If they could just fix those things, they would be a 4-5 star operation (so far) in my book!

jdp3
7/2/14

"The site is getting overrun by scammers" - this was the response we received from a VRBO " customer service" reprsentative in response to our complaint over
our firm was being besieged by callers seeking to rent VRBO scam listings that posted our private client line.

After talking to VRBO they supposedly removed the scam listings but he calls started up again and one party even accused us of being in in the scam.

We called again and asked to speak with the legal department - attorney to attorney professional courtey - apparently is not part of their skill set - we were told they could only be contacted through a generic email address !

And after 72 hours no response ! Consistent with their interminable hold times on the phone.

Our heart goes out to the scam victims, and so while VRBO brags about 1 million listings our question - how many are scams ?

We are contemplating further action against VRBO due to business disruption - in the meantime consumers should exercise extreme caution and NEVER wire money for a rental especially via Western Union or similar services .

mikew91
6/24/14

I am a vacation rental property owner, and have listed on VRBO since 2010. our rentals are of a seasonal nature, typically 4-6 per year. Recently we found VRBO had removed calendar access from our site and put this message up "The property's calendar has not been updated in over 2 months. You can contact the owner for availability or look for properties with confirmed availability"
Our calendar is always up to date, but only updated when we add rentals.
After many calls and emails requesting VRBO to leave the features we have paid them for, alone...there response is that this is "policy" and I am the only customer that seems to have a problem with it.
For sure VRBO does not recognise the lister, who pays the fee, is there customer, and the renter is the lister's.
I would never recomend anyone to list on VRBO, nor will I pay any more fees to an outfit who's policy is to piss off there customer!

clairem23
6/21/14

I own two vacation rental properties in Maine, and I have used VRBO for a number of years -- But not anymore. It used to work just fine, and the site I paid them for worked easily. Then recently I noticed that no inquiries were coming in and no reservations were being made. So I checked my site, and there was no calendar on my site showing potential renters when the property was available to rent! WTF!!

When I tried to edit my site I found that they had changed everything in a way that made it almost impossible to make simple changes. VRBO's customer service tried to make it seem like it was my fault for not going in weekly to "update the calendar". I don't need to update a calendar if there are no new reservations to put in! Duh!

So after years of being rather satisfied, I am now very dissatisfied. VRBO has caused me to lose potential customers, and lose money -- Not exactly what I thought I was paying for.

Their prices have gone up and up over the years. Usually when you pay more, you are supposed to get more. But with VRBO you pay more to get less.

I am switching to another rental website service as soon as possible.

Anybody have any suggestions about a better rental website service?

I am wondering about vacationhomerentals.com.

mattc42
6/16/14

I am a property manager on vrbo with over 20 paid listings. Vrbo customer service is a complete disaster and a horrible experience every time. Cancelation protect is also a disaster and false sense of security. My guest has been on the phone all day to learn that now the owner has to call and request a refund- I just gave her the money back because if the time and efforts that have been wasted. It would be cheaper just to refund even though CP got paid...... Can't wait until another website comes along to remove the monopoly homeaway has. Homeaway.... You suck... That is all...

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Is there any way to find out if a listing received your e-mail sent through the VRBO site? I have written twice to the same owner without a reply. My time is getting short for making reservations, and I'd really like to hear from this place. I noticed that in the few days between my messages they had updated their availability calendar, so I'd suppose they'd checked their e-mail. I have had no problem with other owners replying.
3/16/13
judithh2
A: How do you post a comment to a review?
12/16/11
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?