US Government's NSF

domains@vrbo.com

95 Reviews for VRBO

▼ Sort by: recent

8/25/14

VRBO is terrible for owners. Rising prices and forcing owners to use services we don't want or need will also translate to dissatisfied renters. They are currently the big fish in the pond, but disruptive technology will soon knock down their door. I am looking for alternative sites, as are many other owners. I am starting with VacationHomeRentals.com. VRBO Sucks!!

Tip for consumers: If you are a Vacation Property owner. Don't upgrade your VRBO listing - start using alternatives instead. Its time to send VRBO a message.

8/18/14

Review of property rental as VRBO selects only the positive reviews
Rehoboth Beach VRBO 66056, North Shore Seaglass rental property
This home was advertised as 6 bedrooms, it's not... it is 5 bedrooms with a converted walk in closet which the owner considered a bedroom. The home has not been well maintained. Many things were broken when we arrived - Outside shower, refrigerator, outdoor cushions in very poor condtion ripped/ torn/ stained. Pool table with cigarette burns and ripped felt. Back porch with upturned wooden boards - dangerous. Owner, Joan W was very rude and difficult to deal with. We still have not received our $1400 deposit back. I plan on taking her to small claims court.

Tip for consumers: http://www.vrbo.com/66056

8/12/14

I have had two properties listed with VRBO for over 12 years. What with mergers and policy changes it now requires me to visit my listing 12 times a year to update the calendar that is not maditory to use. Also and guest who waited two years to post a review of one our properties believing some black marks in the the Knotty Pine varnish were mold by the shower. Nope Knotty pine turns black when exposed to any water spray. Never the less I contacted them and they would not remove it. However, their policy has not changed. A review must be posted within 12 months of a guests stay. that one was two years. When I asked why the policy change requiring 12 months the response was, "We found that postings after 12 months were malicious complaints Dah. So why when I bring this one to their attention wouldn't they want to correct or bring it in compliance with their new updated policy? I have heard they are desperate for negative complaints to counter the owner embellished anonymous postings. When I started they were the only game in town. Not true anymore. If at my renewal times that review is still posted I will not renew with them. I check my location Birch Bay Vacation rentals and 5 sites came up before VRBO on a goggle search..

8/11/14

The ruthless owner asks for a damage deposit, doesn't return it in a timely manner and then back charges you for using PayPal which was one of his options to pay. No where does he state that you will be charged. You can imagine my shock when I FINALLY got my damage deposit back, minus PayPal charges that PayPall charged him. I asked for proof of his disclosure, but of course none has been forthcoming and I don't expect it. He has not been cooperative and does not care about customer service or good public relations. While I know that this says VRBO, but HomeAway and VRBO are one in the same. I want to get the word out to everyone who might be thinking of renting from this gentleman, not to do it.

8/9/14

I am an owner of 2 vacation homes that i have had listed on vrbo for years. They have become "big brother'" in collecting your info and email correspondence. They no longer let the owner or inquirer see each others email. consequently i recommend that the owner and or inquirer call each other to get your respective email address and communicate directly
My inquirers also tell me that they get unsolicited follow up emails from vrbo. Vrbo has been successful thanks to all the home owners that paid to list their homes but their success has gone from a tool to connect 2 interested parties to wanting to OWN us.
We need new vacation rental sites to eliminate Vrbo's dominance.....i can't wait for other sites to take their market share. Please use other sites!!!

8/7/14

Space was very clean and well-organized but VERY small. Headroom was lacking...a real problem for males standing at toilet. Also, we could occasionally smell propane when bedroom window over bed was open. It was difficult to have true privacy, due to owners" home right next door, close to deck. Driving past Mystery Spot attraction, on same road, can be challenging. Considering owner rents out much larger ( with full kitchen and table), bottom space for $125, Love Shack was not worth $110.

7/30/14

I have now visited several available properties online, emailed the "owner", only to find that the fantastic offers are NOT available despite what the calendars said, the owners are real estate managers, and they have many less attractive offers to peddle. Can you say bait and switch? I am very frustrated by this service. I do not trust VRBO.
-K

7/29/14

Vacation rental by owner? BS!!!
Owners have to pay a lot for the listing of their house!

The name is a scam!

At the end renter have to pay for it.

7/16/14

Tried to rent #494714 in Waikiki and was pushed to pay money via email to hold the suite and when I asked (Bill Leeds) a phoney name, to give info to legitimize his suite and himself he quickly said it had been rented and that was it. The calendar never filled up for those dates.
He said he was living in Portland and representing a Japanese lady who couldn't speak English yet she apparently had been sending me emails asking for money????
This suite is a scam!

7/14/14

I was inquiring about property #3799990 on VRBO. com I was suspicious when owner wanted money wired directly into a bank account. This home no longer appears on site. Please beware. Not all are bad but just follow your gut!

7/11/14

I am a owner of property in Florida listed on vrbo.com. They have become controlling of your listing and communications. They now "hide" email addesses of the potential renters so you are FORCED to communicate through their "dashboard". I have recently found out that the these potential renters are not receiving my responding emails. Spoke to some idiot at vrbo and told me I would hear from someone in 1-3 days....really???? You are keeping me from renting my unit and you can't speak to me? I received an email a day later saying that that there was no problem with the emails and it probably was going into the spam box which was a total lie. OWNERS BEWARE!! If I can find a better site I will change in a New York Minute.

7/8/14

We used VRBO as vacation renters for a few years prior to setting up our own VRBO. It's been almost a month since we listed and have had a good experience with booking clients and they have all be great people! We hope the experience continues this way. I was between giving them 3 or 4 stars and that was because of their software/website. It could be easier to use and it takes a few HOURS to update your changes so that is weird in this age of instant changes elsewhere on the web. Also, not easy to find a way to get your questions answered. If they could just fix those things, they would be a 4-5 star operation (so far) in my book!

7/2/14

"The site is getting overrun by scammers" - this was the response we received from a VRBO " customer service" reprsentative in response to our complaint over
our firm was being besieged by callers seeking to rent VRBO scam listings that posted our private client line.

After talking to VRBO they supposedly removed the scam listings but he calls started up again and one party even accused us of being in in the scam.

We called again and asked to speak with the legal department - attorney to attorney professional courtey - apparently is not part of their skill set - we were told they could only be contacted through a generic email address !

And after 72 hours no response ! Consistent with their interminable hold times on the phone.

Our heart goes out to the scam victims, and so while VRBO brags about 1 million listings our question - how many are scams ?

We are contemplating further action against VRBO due to business disruption - in the meantime consumers should exercise extreme caution and NEVER wire money for a rental especially via Western Union or similar services .

6/24/14

I am a vacation rental property owner, and have listed on VRBO since 2010. our rentals are of a seasonal nature, typically 4-6 per year. Recently we found VRBO had removed calendar access from our site and put this message up "The property's calendar has not been updated in over 2 months. You can contact the owner for availability or look for properties with confirmed availability"
Our calendar is always up to date, but only updated when we add rentals.
After many calls and emails requesting VRBO to leave the features we have paid them for, alone...there response is that this is "policy" and I am the only customer that seems to have a problem with it.
For sure VRBO does not recognise the lister, who pays the fee, is there customer, and the renter is the lister's.
I would never recomend anyone to list on VRBO, nor will I pay any more fees to an outfit who's policy is to piss off there customer!

6/21/14

I own two vacation rental properties in Maine, and I have used VRBO for a number of years -- But not anymore. It used to work just fine, and the site I paid them for worked easily. Then recently I noticed that no inquiries were coming in and no reservations were being made. So I checked my site, and there was no calendar on my site showing potential renters when the property was available to rent! WTF!!

When I tried to edit my site I found that they had changed everything in a way that made it almost impossible to make simple changes. VRBO's customer service tried to make it seem like it was my fault for not going in weekly to "update the calendar". I don't need to update a calendar if there are no new reservations to put in! Duh!

So after years of being rather satisfied, I am now very dissatisfied. VRBO has caused me to lose potential customers, and lose money -- Not exactly what I thought I was paying for.

Their prices have gone up and up over the years. Usually when you pay more, you are supposed to get more. But with VRBO you pay more to get less.

I am switching to another rental website service as soon as possible.

Anybody have any suggestions about a better rental website service?

I am wondering about vacationhomerentals.com.

6/16/14

I am a property manager on vrbo with over 20 paid listings. Vrbo customer service is a complete disaster and a horrible experience every time. Cancelation protect is also a disaster and false sense of security. My guest has been on the phone all day to learn that now the owner has to call and request a refund- I just gave her the money back because if the time and efforts that have been wasted. It would be cheaper just to refund even though CP got paid...... Can't wait until another website comes along to remove the monopoly homeaway has. Homeaway.... You suck... That is all...

6/4/14

I am posting this review because VRBO will not post it. I am hopeful that this review will help others avoid renting this condo. VRBO # #308387 - "Luxurious Ocean Front Condo" Panama City Beach FL at Tropic Winds Condo #1409.

My VRBO review:

I took my mother to Panama City Beach for the week of March 22 2014. I rented this place based on reviews and photos. When we arrived the place was very dirty and smelled of body odor. From pubic hair on the master bed pillows, to filthy carpet and living room upholstery, to dirty hand towels and mold growing in tub and on shower liner. It was not at all what I paid for and not at all what I expected. If I could post photos I would.

I stayed an hour and told Susie I was renting another unit which I did. So not only did I lose the money for the stay in this filthy place (she did not refund it and placed it right back on the rental market for the same week) but I had to pay for another place as well. I think it is terrible to misrepresent as she did. The photos are so old that they do not even represent this place as it really is. The master bedroom photo shows it all made up nicely and when we get there not only did the master have a body odor smell, there was a thin blue bedspread and two dirty pillow cased pillows and that was it. Nothing nice like in the photo. So save your money and go elsewhere. This place is a dump. Nasty. I did not even want to touch anything in it.

BTW I am an owner of another beach condo and would never subject anyone to a place in this condition. I keep mine immaculate and that is what I was expecting. Too bad there are people out there who take advantage of the situation as this is a trust situation. I trusted her word and should not have. I just hope this review can not be deleted by the owner as it is unfair for her to collect money for false advertising. Kim from Texas

5/31/14

We stayed at Surf & Racquet Unit #194 in Kailua Kona Hawaii. Alli with CJ Kimberly Realty was awesome. She was available to take care of any situation. Location is super! Listening to the ocean all night is so soothing. The kitchen is well equipped as well as pool/beach items to use. View from the lanai is breath taking. We watched turtles feeding every afternoon. The pool is super! The resort was very quiet (we had windows open all the time day/night). Very clean. We had problems w/ lights flickering and Alli had repairmen there quickly (and this was on a holiday weekend). This unit is probably 30 years old, but very well maintaned & comfy. Would definitely return to this location. Thanks Alli & Jennifer at CJ Kimberly Realty!

5/27/14

We own and take care of many properties, and the worst part of the experience has become VRBO. They have taken a monopoly on our funds. Our rates are good enough that we stay 100% booked and we give the extra customer service, but to charge more for extra pictures and a higher ranking and credit card fees is insane. The last straw was (after we paid our renewal) notifying us if we did not book online our rankings would drop. Every one of our properties has 5-star bookings and not one bad review - how can you drop me by 50% if I do not offer online bookings? We have never had one single complaint and our guests always come back. When I called customer service, I kept explaining that it was unfair to drop us by 50% in rankings because they want to gouge us $1800 a year in credit card fees for one unit. The goofball kept saying, "I don't know how you are getting $1800? It only costs $3 for a $100 rental fee." I was like - "Who rents a beach condo for $100 a week?" I made her do the math, which came out to $1800 per year. They are becoming billionaires on our profits, and while some people might think we can afford it, after VRBO, lodging tax, liability, dues, insurance, etc., we are going broke keeping rates affordable for people to vacation. Also - just a tip to anyone who has properties on VRBO - when a guest sends you an inquiry, go on the site and get their personal e-mail and notify them you will be contacting them outside of VRBO so that contracts will go through - or whatever. It is not these people's business. All of our guests come back over and over. They tell you it is to protect the guest, but that is a lie. It is for marketing to hound these people and know what they are looking for. They want to act like a property management company to get whatever fees out of you they can, use the guest's private information for marketing, but they take no responsibility for your unit - they are a means to advertise - an advertising company - and they are getting too big for their britches. There are some new companies popping up, and with offer good rates, so we do not need to bow down to these people and pay our profits to get higher on the list. They need us more than we need them - trust me - if they start getting hit with people dropping them - they will go back to doing business the way they should. Not forwarding the customer's e-mail, yet forwarding all of their other personal information is not to protect anyone - it is to keep control of your unit - take the extra minute - go online - and get the e-mail off of the website or request it from the customer. If you do your customers right, they will be back and send people. We have been doing this for two years and are 100% booked - I do not even think we need these people anymore. So aggravating. One of these days someone is going to class-action sue them.

And to the person who said VRBO is great, and these must be fake reviews from competitors - all I can do is tell you how ridiculous that sounds. It seems you are the one working for VRBO.

5/27/14

We list 2 properties on VRBO. As any owner knows, listing placement is of great importance. We have two identical units and the listings are basically identical. One has excellent placement (as it should because that is what we pay for), the other (which is up for renewal strangely enough) slipped to the bottom. We can get no advice on what happen or how to fix it except to upgrade ANOTHER $250.00. Excuse me, but I agree, it is a scam the way they are treating the owners. It there was another good spot to list, they absolutely would not have my business!

5/16/14

Rented a place, providing all credit card info. 3 days later, I find out that they rented the place to someone else. The management company that the owners hired (BeachCondosinDestin.com) admitted that they keep rentals listed as available even though the units are not available...with the intent of you booking a similar property that is a LOT more expensive. They provide no information about cancellations, stating on the website that their policy is available when you book. It IS NOT available when you book. You have to book and pay and then it still isn't available. Then when you cancel, they tell you that their policy is not to allow you to cancel. WTF?? I had to cancel the charge thru my credit card company. Do not use VRBO. Do not use BeachCondosinDestin.com Complete scams.

5/16/14

Beware of the Carefree insurance offered on this site. It is a complete SCAM. After I was confirmed into a condo for a month this fall, I got a message from VRBO saying they had cancelled all bookings by that lessor. When I asked how to get my insurance refund, tyhis is what I got---

Thank you for contacting the Trust and Security department of VRBO®, HomeAway®, and VacationRentals™.

"In this situation the only advice that we can give when it comes to trying to recoup your funds that were lost are to either continue reaching out the owner and get it from him or if you are unable to do that then contact your credit card directly and dispute this specific transaction.
"In regards to the insurance that you purchased it would not come into play currently becuase this owner is under investigation with us and a decision has not been made on the property owner and the insurance only coveres a fraud that is declared by us.
"Also even if it did cover it, one of the steps in using it is to go back to your credit card company and have them try to get it back first because they have a lot more clout when it comes to their ability to get funds that were lost.
I hope this adds some clarity to this difficult situation."

So, the coverage provided by your credit card company is better than anything VRBO offers. And a fraud is only a fraud when VRBO says it's a fraud. And they only pay off if they feel like it.

5/6/14

VRBO uses the possibility that the rental may not meet your expectations to sell you another flavor of trip insurance (as you're paying).. Doesn't say much for the company. I sometime use the site, but only as a last resort.

4/24/14

Fees 60 Percent - Wow

I have used VBRO a number of times before, but this time it just seems like I paid so much more for my "additional" fees. I paid almost 60 percent in fees, and I didn't even opt for the insurance! I just don't understand how a condo I selected for $135 a night ended up costing me $214.87 a night. Is this a standard practice on VBRO?

4/8/14

I have used this rental web site numerous times. In March we stayed at property #493215 in Redmond Oregon. I sent a complaint about this rental. Made 2 phone calls. If the rental is not as described....to bad...your complaint means nothing. The owner of the property is not held accountable for misrepresenting it. The owner was to contact me but they have not and probably never will. I just don't want anyone else to be mislead.

4/6/14

PROPERTY OWNERS STAY AWAY! Renters too, for that matter. As a property owner with rentals this place has become FASCIST! They now control every aspect of communication and payment. You no longer have direct access to your customers. As a vacation rental business owner, I build long term relationships and that is no longer possible on this site. Each year they find a way to charge more and more while providing less and less. VRBO is building a marketing empire at owner/renter expense. Look out! I will not renew! Every negative post you read written from the owner perspective here is true. If it's positive, it's likely a shill. Do not support this site.

4/1/14

I wrote a negative review on property VRBO Listing #350639 (Florida), it was an awful experience to say the least. I wrote about all the issues that needed addressed with the place we stayed. The owner was supposed to refund part of my money due to all the issues but it never happened. VRBO called me to see if I would remove the negative feedback and write something nice if they reimbursed the money that the owners were supposed to give back. I told them that the review was accurate and I would not remove it in exchange for some money back. My review was never placed on the site, only good reviews were placed. I emailed and asked why it was not placed and never received a response.

3/21/14

We are a vacation property owner and were initially happy with the service. However, like other owners have posted, they have given a very bad reputation to service sites once you become a consistent customer of their service... by finding ways to increase the annual rate by 10-20%.

The alternative to maintain a "flat rate" year over year is to pay for additional photos and/or increase your level of posting (Silver, Gold, Platium, etc) - all of which mean you are still paying more! Bear in mind we have increased our annual spend from $400 to $700 over the last 4 years - while our traffic and rental quantity have remained the same.

airbnb is quickly gaining ground and next year I expect to be able to switch and not lose ground on marketing visibility... unless VRBO comes to their senses like NetFlix did and consider what their product really is... the owners who post.

VRBO - notice served...

3/11/14

If I could give this company no stars I would. We are property owners with a property listed with them via a management. We have a pool which it clearly states is un heated. We had a couple turn up in April and demand that the management company contact us and ask us to turn the pool heat on. We politely told them that we did not have a heater to turn on. They insisted the management company call us again and again over the next few days. In the end the management company representative who lives 5 doors down from us very kindly allowed them to use her pool. Two months later they leave an extremely defamatory review on Vrbo saying how unreasonable we had been to deal with and how unhappy they were our pool was not heated. Hello? Could you not read the description of the property? vrbo is not interested only stating they don't care what anyone posts good or bad and as long as someone can prove they stayed there then they can say anything they like. What an eye opener and what a waste of time (and money!) for owners and renters alike. Its a lose lose situation. While I totally appreciate from a renters point of view that they are allowing bogus fake 5* reviews it is equally frustrating as an owner that they are allowing inaccurate reviews. Most of these people are just after a reduction in their rent.

2/27/14

Had a bad rental experience, with a miami rental in January, #499787 to be exact, and they will not allow you to post a review that is not positive, and there's no recourse if you have any issues. Will not use this site ever again, and would advise against it.

2/18/14

We rented successfully on vbro all over North America for years then two years ago a Collingwood On ski chalet owner switched us to a lesser property and tried to say thats what we rented-they did return our money but vrbo would not let us post our problem. My son just this weekend rented in Miami only to find on arrival that the owner was moving them unannounced to an inland lesser property-he got his money back but had to scramble for a hotel for 8 people. You cannot post a review on vrbo unless you have actually taken possession and they did not care or support us in any way. No more vrbo for us.

2/11/14

I have been on VRBO for over 5 years and own 2 vacation properties. I HATE VRBO and the way they do business. Every year, they figure out a way to scam us out of more money -- by making you pay to add 3 more pictures (and they list by the # of pictures you have) or make you pay for a "premium" listing, the next year you have to pay more when they allow 4 more pictures (They started at 6 and now they're up to 16). Just waiting to see how they squeeze more $ out of us -- already costs us $799 a year for each site. Just recently they made 2 more changes that negatively impact us. I can see they are trying to be a monopoly and slowly buying up other rental companies. You used to be able to reply directly to a potential guest -- now you have to go through their website. And they limit how many words you can use in your reply. Also, if you have a calendar on other websites, and most people do, you cannot edit it from any other website, they make you go on the VRBO website and log in to edit your calendar. The calendar used to be independent and all of your websites hooked up to it --- then VRBO bought out the calendar company. And if you ever have a problem with a guest -- and the guest complains to VRBO, they automatically take the side of the guest. I had a man want a refund because he came for deep sea fishing and the waves were too rough so he only got to go out once -- and he demanded a full refund. VRBO forced me to refund the man -- I was livid. It wasn't my fault he didn't catch any fish and i don't control the weather. They threatened to throw me off the site -- I could not believe it. I am so fed up with VRBO and am probably going to stop advertising on them once FlipKey gets bigger. For now, I'm stuck.

2/11/14

VRBO edits out the negative reviews. I rented a nice little place in Pocono Pines Pa only to find out about a huge septic issue upon arrival. The place smelled like raw sewage. Owner not refunding any money and VRBO not allowing my negative review to post, despite following all their guidelines for review. Nasty owner + bad company = stay away.

2/8/14

We have been trying to find a rental for a family celebration of life for my grandmother passing. We finally found a great rental and confirmed the dates with VRBO via email and phone. When we went to send a deposit we left numerous messages and emails and did not EVER receive a response! We now see that they rented it out from under us for a longer period of time… we only know this because the dates are now unavailable. What a poor way to run a business. Whatever happen to first come, first serve? Such a disappointment for us.

2/7/14

I currently have a cottage listed on vrbo.com ...I am so frustrated with vrbo.com...I would remove my cottage listing from vrbo.com if there was another competitive website because they do not deserve my business...They have at times removed all of my booking on my calendar after I had filled up for the season and posted all bookings...They said they did this because I hadn't accessed my calendar often enough...But again I was already full and had posted my bookings for the season when suddenly I was getting inquiries for weeks that were already booked...That is when I discovered vrbo had removed all my bookings on my calendar...Also, I like to keep my listing simple by indicating all the amenities in my written description...However vrbo wants me to use their formats that have come out after I posted my listing on their we site...I choose not to use them, and now they have punished my by moving my listing further down the lost, even though I pay for a specific spot and was originally promised a specific spot on the listing based on seniority and number of pictures I pay to display...I have tried to conform to their ever changing requirements to move up the list, and currently my pricing is posted all wrong because they insist I post a daily rate, and rates for different seasons, and average daily rates for the different seasons and so on and it ends up so confusing that it is not accurate...but if I don't do this then they will move my further down the listing...my listing is now a mess...I can't believe they can and are causing me so much grief! The price I pay for this listing is a gouging price...I believe vrbo is greedy...I am very angry with vrbo...I hope an honest fare competitor comes along and puts vrbo out of business...This would be well deserved...To bad vrbo treats their good paying clients this way...I can't say enough bad things about them!!!!

2/6/14

Initially, we were very happy with VRBO.com. Then they changed when all the money started rolling in - the website does not work, freezes or just goes down for no reason. Customer service does not exist with them. The reps do not answer questions or help when you have issues with the site. What happened to them!!! Famous last words "WE ARE FIXING IT".

2/5/14

I had a terrible experience with VRBO. My husband and I rent an apartment via VRBO and we were using for the 1st time the "Book it" option. That means you have 24 h to accept the booking and the payment comes via credit card. My husband called VRBO to know if they had checked the payment and they said yes. But 4 days later, just before the check out, someone from VRBO Ireland (?) called saying they could not get the payment. It appeared that it was a false or stolen card. On the day of the check out, the tenant had disappeared with our keys without having paid. VRBO did not help us, they rejected their responsibilities. They push owners to use their Book it option and use their payment system (they get money from that) but it is not secured. I find this completely unfair.

1/30/14

These reviews must be fake. Did you know that airbnb pays people to bash other rental websites? I love VRBO I like that I can get directly in contact with people I am looking to rent a house from and actually call them before paying for a rental (airbnb does not disclose the phone number until after you have paid). Always excellent experiences--but just see for yourself!

1/19/14

This is the poorest excuse for a website I have ever seen! I created an account and everything and was unable to make one inquiry to even one person about renting a property! I have NEVER been so frustrated in all my life!

1/19/14

Renter's Alert! This unit is not as it appears. Owner has 2 units in Sugar Beach Resort, uses pictures for the redone unit on floor 3 yet rents the sub-standard unit on floor 6.
Didn't realize this until we arrived.
Issues as follows:
-burners on the stove don't fit and are very dirty
-Maintenance unable to repair
-filthy, soiled carpets
-cupboards filthy and shelf paper gross
-light fixtures filled with dead bugs
-air fans had to be cleaned by maintenance, absolutely covered with dust and filth.
-ceiling fans caked with dust and dirt
-NO CURTAINS, very hot with afternoon sun and no privacy.
-bathroom toilet brushes were removed by maintenance because of germs and dirt
-bathroom had to be re-cleaned
-medicine cabinet shelves dirty
Some issues were responded to by maintenance and house cleaning after much pestering on our part.
Bed was OK but sheets were very tired
View was ok but impeded left/right by structure walls
All in all this was a disappointing experience despite a marginally reduced rate.!

1/13/14

I had a bad experience with one of the rental owner Wintergreen Leasing, and VRBO won't post it, even though my assessment was fair and respectful. The VRBO reviews lose all credibility if they are censored for raving reviews only...what's the point??? Buying favourable reviews to mislead more people? I have lost faith!

1/10/14

We have paid over $1,000 for a year to list two of our properties. One of the properties didn't rent out much, so after 6 months we asked for a half year rebate on our subscriptions. The response from Homeaway and VRBO--SORRY CHARIES, BUT NO WAY!! Homeaway is one crooked company. Don't trust them

1/4/14

I had a really bad rental and I wrote a review and VRBO will not ppost it. There was sewage coming up in the bathrooms and they wont post it??? Really????

1/2/14

When looking for rentals at VRBO - just know that VRBO charges up to $999.00 per year for a listing if you want to be one of the first listings that people see in a town. If you have a regular listing at "only" $349.00 per year - goodness only knows how far down you will be.
If your vacation rental home is in a big city or town - having dozens of rentals listed there is fine, but they go to all the tiniest little places and take listings for anything regardless of quality and as long as the owner is willing to pay their $999.00 a year, the are happy to advertise any dump at the top of that town's listings, and rotate it onto their "featured" listings page!

1/1/14

First of all, do not just go by reviews posted of VRBO. They only allow you to post a review if you stayed at the vacation property. Regarding: Property #248063 - Casa de Duck - Georgetown Sands Road in Duck, NC. I had rented this beachfront house in Duck, NC for 1 week through this website in January for a vacation in May. I had paid half the cost as a deposit and the other half was charged to my credit card a few weeks prior to the reservation. This house was 8 bedroom which would accomodate a family reunion including family travelling from Florida and Maine. I was called by the owner the Wednesday before our rental (which was to begin on Sunday) - just 4 days - that they accidentally double booked us. They said they would find us a comparable house, but due to the fact that I was informed of the double-booking just a few days before our trip, there were no houses comparable with the same number of bedrooms and beachfront. The owners offered no compensation, and I never got a refund. Thankfully, I had purchased the rental through my American Express Credit Card, whose fraud department handled it and credited my card completed. However it was months before I received all the credits and I had to pay $1500 more for another vacation house that would accomodate my family. The owners promised to refund me, but never did; even after at least a dozen phone calls and emails. I contacted VRBO who would not do anything, as they claimed they are only a mediator and have no financial responsibility. BBB could not help due to the owners not owning an actual business. The owners stopped responding to me after the first response from them promising a full refund immediately. DO NOT rent through VRBO! You will save yourself a lot of aggravation. I ended up using Sun Realty who was amazing and you know that they will correct any problems immediately.

12/30/13

I agree, this site is a scam. I tried booking on this site only to be told I was double booked and have to fight with them for weeks regarding refunds which I have YET to see. Stay Away!

12/26/13

SCAM- You have to giver your credit card info and then they "decide" if they want to rent to you....

If you do rent, you have to leave 5 stars or they won't rent to you again. I ran into a crazy property manager in Eugene who continued to threaten and hound me- even on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.....Marcy has issues.

11/23/13

The owner of my rental in Boulder misrepresented the rental, and stole $3000 from me VRBO did nothing. They even pulled my review of what happened.

11/19/13

VRBO, aka HomeAway is a decent website, decent company. People are friendly when you call for customer service. My issue is that it is NOT very clear that most of the cities in which they operate in the USA and Europe have strict or COMPLETE restrictions on house rentals. So most of their ads are running against the law. God forbid you should get caught up in the legal loopholes of Police coming to inspect and verify a 30 day or longer lease agreement when you rent with one of their listings.
I had my ad placed with VRBO for 6 months, and was notified by the county (through the police officer that conducts and handles investigations) that I could not rent out my property as a short term rental. I was quite shocked. Having had to cancel most of my upcoming clients, I also asked VRBO if I could transfer the balance of my prepaid ad to another property in a city where I could have short term rentals. To my dismay they were completely UNCOOPERATIVE. I will NO LONGER BE RECOMMENDING OR USING THEM. This was never an issue with their competitor (who also has a better ranking on Alexa). They will get my business exclusively. I was also shocked to hear that VRBO does not pay for any lobbyists in major cities to fight city council to change the law. They make individual homeowner's pay for all the attorney costs and expect them to do all the work. Yes, they have "free" webinars. But free webinars are not going to change the city and/or county laws by themselves. Check out their competition. Much better company. It's a pay as you go site, so they are only as good as your last dollar!!!

11/19/13

Beware: Began communicating with an owner of a rental and began receiving emails from "Vacation Rental." At first I presumed it was the owner's agent, but when they asked us to wire money to them, I realized that this was a scam. I believe the owner is legit though, as we were in contact with him and visited the house, so hackers must have gained access to his email account.

The Best Travel Sites Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber