US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

mattc42

Vrbo customer service is a complete disaster and a horrible experience every time. (in 27 reviews)

ethelt9

I am a hard-working home-owner who keeps a very high standard on the rental condo I have listed with VRBO. (in 154 reviews)

marieb46

Upon arrival I was told by place checking us in that my credit card would be run in case of damages. (in 25 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

nicholasg19
2/10/16

1/29/16 agreed to property rental in Park City through VRBO (property # 1111719). Sent money and I thought contract. Ten days later Mr. Mashaw e-mailed me to say he never received my contract, had returned my money and rented to someone else. When I check I discovered that in fact the fax never went through but would you think he might have e-mailed me to give me the ten minutes necessary to send again? VRBO will not let you review the booking experience so no way on their web site to notify others.

steves214
2/8/16

We booked a trip to Rio for the Olympics. Now that all the viruses and health concerns have broke we decided to cancel. Upon cancelling we were informed we were scammed and there was no reservations even though we booked it through VBRO.com. We contacted them and they are not willing to stand behind their $1000 guarantee. So we are over well over $1000 and will never use them or home away family again. Spend your money elsewhere!

melissal68
2/4/16

We recently booked a reservation through VRBO for a ski vacation in Snowshoe, WV the week between Christmas and New Year's (VRBO#273113). Due to the extremely mild weather, the resort was closed due to lack of snow. As in no skiing. At all. We contacted the owner to try to move our reservation to different dates (when there would hopefully be snow) or request a partial refund in consideration of the extenuating circumstances. The owner ignored our messages. We contacted VRBO for assistance. They encouraged us to file a complaint. All VRBO did was forward our complaint to the owner, who responded with basically "too bad". VRBO's response was "that's all we can do." We then attempted to post a review on the VRBO listing for the unit to warn future travelers of our bad experience with this unreasonable owner. We were told that VRBO's review requirements don't allow reviews on the booking experience, only on the property. So, if I had wasted even more money to drive 18 hours round trip to go on a ski vacation with no skiing, I could have posted a review that I thought the couch was ugly. But apparently if I lose my entire rental amount due to an unreasonable owner during a once in 10-15 years freak weather phenomenon, then I can't post a review. BTW – Snowshow Resort provided full refunds to all people that booked properties they manage. I will never use VRBO again.

shayeh
1/29/16

This past summer we had the worst rental experience ever. After attempting to contact the owner multiple times and giving them plenty of time to respond (6 months), I finally decided to share our experience in hopes others could avoid. However VRBO refused to publish my review stating it "was not relevant to the property being reviewed". Really?!?!?!? We stayed at the property and I captured our experience with accuracy, so help me understand why it's not relevant. I suppose it's because I didn't provide a 4 or 5 star rating. Obvious proof that VRBO is as shady and dishonest as the owner we rented from. Well I can guarantee we will NEVER rent from this owner or use VRBO ever again. Please share, because VRBO refuses to publish my review.

mikej145
1/27/16

VACATION RENTAL #
323299ha

I was booked for 4 nights 2/5/16-2/9/16. I paid in full 10/10/15..On 1/16/16 i received an email from Ryan saying the city no longer allows less then 7 night rentals and he offered me a far inferior place across the inter coastal. I stated we booked 4 months in advance to secure a place across from beach and downtown so we could walk to everything. He offered 200.00 in cab fare for a 3000 vacation rental we made 4 months in advance. Again we booked and paid in full 4 months in advance so we could secure the location we have been staying at for 15 years. He said fine ill refund your money. I luckily found one rental left in the area and booked. As far as payment i then went back to Ryan to ask if he could just write a check for the new property manager, or do instant paypal as i did when i paid with my 3087.00 he was holding for 4 months.. His answer was i will send instant paypal on THE 24TH!!!!!!! The other property understandably 2 weeks before rental wanted to be paid in full to secure. Now i have to pay another 3000.00 out of pocket to secure. Ryan said he could not refund any sooner, ill have it on the 24th.
For 15 years we have done this trip and never once had anything close to this happen. It was a nightmare reading that email saying we do not have a place to stay....
If there is any doubt to this entire situation, i have the entire email chain from day 1 inquiring about the townhome , to the numerous daily emails "shall we book" to the end and not once , even after i said so, did the word SORRY come out of his mouth, nor did i get a call apologizing......
On top of it i was refunded 3000.00 when i paid 3087.00. I understand its a paypal fee of the 87.00 but in this situation??? seriously..
NIGHTMARE-+-

VRBO REFUSES TO PUBLISH THE NEGATIVE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kurtc13
1/27/16

VRBO is a joke. They let property owners post anything they want without verifying it, and if you post a negative review about a property they will NOT publish it! DONT TRUST WHAT YOU SEE! We were scammed into staying at a house that claimed to sleep 20, it wasn't even close and the conditions were awful. When I tried to write a review to inform other potential renters VRBO refused to put it on their site. They are all about protecting the property owner... GARBAGE

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE VRBO, THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED

sylm1
1/16/16

I was interested in renting a condo from VRBO. The reviews were all good, but I don't really know if they are real renters reviews or not. After reviewing the rental policy for which I have to agree with, I was little hesitant. The policy was very one sided. It protects the owner only. There is nothing there protecting the renter/vacationer. For example, It states that the owner can cancel at anytime, with a refund. It did not state what reasons, emergency or not, and when the refund will be due. It states that owners can come and check the unit, but does not specify required notice time or reason. It required renters to pay $110 cleaning fee plus $49 Property Protection Package. The protection insurance is non-refundable even if you leave the place in good condition without breaking anything. There is nothing protecting the renter. For example, what does VRBO promise to do if the property was not as advertised, is dirty, or unlivable. Full payment for the entire stay, even if it's 3 or 4 weeks, is required to be paid 30 days in advance. What happens to your 4-week rental money paid when you arrived and the condo was not livable?

connies68
1/12/16

We rent a house is Kissimmee Liberty village 1183, verbose listing is 73560! This house had and does have many bedbugs, the house was sprayed twice while we were there and still when we left they were alive! After paying my rental the owner assured me there was no bedbugs and the was treated, not the case! If it was treated it was a blind person who did the treatment! Although the owner refunded us half our rental he refuses to do more! We had 12 people in the house for ten days sleeping on three air mattresses and the owner thinks this is being accommodating! There were no other houses available! It sucks!

agnesc4
1/11/16

I originally posted this review under HomeAway but VRBO is the same service. I wished I read this website before we booked vacation thru HomeAway/VRBO. Just don't do it, find a better site that will stand behind you. We booked thru HomeAway/VRBO for this Christmas week and ended up stranded on a Sunday evening in Angel Fire. We had to pay for another property thru the resort and can't get anyone neither the owner or HomeAway/VRBO to get us our money back.

dianew45
1/9/16

We have listed with VRBO for 5 years, They get worse every year. Now they are hitting a new low, with online booking being forced on the owner, new fees and listings by management companies. The O stands for owners! We have worked hard to list a quality unit, have great reviews, and seem to be punished for being owner listers. We want another choice.
A new site is available, and I hope with all my heart that it succeeds! Owners, do some research and check it out.
Look for AVROA.org

robertm282
1/9/16

VRBO has changed its system to benefit hotels, management companies with multiple listings and their pay/per booking homeowners. If you are a platinum homeowner with great and many reviews, you respond within an hour, you do everything right, you may have dropped to the 2 and and 3rd pages and VRBO no longer shows your property like it used to.

jennyt27
1/5/16

Do not waste your time with this game player. He strung us along for 2 weeks while ultimately accepting someone else's money for a deposit without notifying us. I have screen shots of the entire conversation. He also later told my husband the deposit was never received, yet he mailed it back to me in another envelope 2 days prior according to the postmark (12 days after my deposit was postmarked). We lost chances at renting other affordable condos that we were interested in because we already had a verbal commitment with this man,Terry Pitman. By the time we realized he duped us, the other condos had also been rented. Also note, he does not accept PayPal for a deposit like his listing indicates. It's easier to pick and choose if checks are mailed. Just dirty.

mollyg16
12/29/15

Be advised that if you want a "pet friendly" house, avoid using Bryce Rental to find a house. There is a very reasonable pet deposit, which we fully expected. We had no idea, however, that bringing a pet precluded receiving any linens whatsoever, not even a hand towel for the kitchen. To make matters worse, there is no reduction in the daily rate even though you are not receiving the same services as guests without pets. The 'pets = no linens' policy is in the PS section of your contract. Neither soap nor shampoo are provided. We are frequent travelers (~25 trips/year) and expect such amenities will be provided by the facility, especially at $345/night. A bar of soap to be shared by 7 adults in 3 bathrooms was delivered after I contacted the 'management' company, Bryce Rental.

veryd4
12/22/15

Travelers: Have you seen VRBO's notification about the implementation of their impending travel booking fee? No, I didn't think so. Well, in the first quarter of 2016 they are going to add a hefty booking fee to you for the privilege of going through their website. And, exactly what additional benefits are you getting for this fee? Welllllll, nothing! You are paying for the same old ho, hum. My advice, go now and get all of the individual homeowners names that you possibly can and print off their emails and phone numbers. Other advice, I would look midway to the bottom of the list. Look for listing numbers with lower numbers. These are the people with the most seniority that built up the site. Just like you, they are now the ones that VRBO is tearing down. Homeowners and renters alike - run from this site!

judithf10
12/22/15

No where does it say the company is in Singapore and you can be charged by your credit card company for a transaction fee. There is a phone number for VRBO but none for Travelmob who does the transactions. Trying to get reimbursed for $26 fee. Someone emailed me but after writing back no response...WOULD NEVER USE AGAIN..

There are no updates on lodging availability when you put in dates...only when you contact the owner do they say there is no availability....stick with AIRBNB

teresaf22
12/21/15

Working with VRBO is so easy. There online booking process was easy. Our VRBO 627034 was in Oahu, Hawaii. The owner was great to work with. If your looking for something in Oahu take a look at it.

lindab187
12/18/15

what a waste of 10 hrs today trying to rent something, take the listings down if there not available.....never will use this site again....yes im pissed off ...the owners don't seem to care that your filling out requests that are a complete waste of time.

rayk30
12/14/15

Why is it that every single person I know and every person I have worked with for over 20 years, that uses VRBO loves it? All of use it every year for vacation home searches and bookings.

We use it for our vacations and then purchased a vacation home, and listed it with VRBO ourselves. Now we and our renters love it too.

Why is VRBO/HomeAway the #1 vacation home rental website in the world?

Simple really, don't read this review and trust us, go see for yourself on their website. Pick an area you'd like to vacation in and see the selection they offer. Read the reviews, pick a home and call the owners personally. Heck, we will spend hours on the phone with you, telling you all about our home and the area. All of the good and all of the bad (which isn't much).

Then try that on another vacation rental website. You know, the ones that won't give you any information on the owner like their phone number until after you book the property. Like shooting darts in the dark and hoping it all works out. Good luck with that.

donnab84
12/8/15

We had rented a property over Thanksgiving thru VRBO. The property ended up being a scam and we canceled. The owner of the property told us we forfeited our damaged deposit of $350. We told the owner that his property description was a scam and we wanted no part of it. He then threatened to come to our house, as he had our address, and deal with us personally. He wrote this on the VRBO email system. We immediately contacted VRBO and all we got was blather. They wrote long scripted messages saying they would look into the wrongdoing and get back to us. They told us their "security" people were looking into the situation and would soon ban the property owner from VRBO until he returned our damage deposit. All that happened was that the property owner changed the description of his property and to date we still have not got our damage deposit back. Very disappointed with VRBO in particular since we were threatened.

gabrielw12
12/4/15

VRBO has the worst customer service ever, vrbo only protects the renters. You cant remove any negative reviews let alone file a claim against them due to negligence, and the fact renters don't read anything till after they book and want a refund because they were expecting more. VRBO could allow owners to review uptight, high maintenance guests and they might think before they post reviews. TERRIBLE SERVICE for what the owners pay for.

tm77
12/2/15

Just learning that our booked vacation home thru VRBO/HomeAway appears to be fraud. After hitting "Get quote" on VRBO screen, received an email shortly afterwards stating available for rental... I'm trying to contact property mgr on emails and no response once payment was sent. VRBO/HomeAway I'm now seeing has a major security issue if in fact the "Get Quote" button is compromised or not secure. Waiting to hear from VRBO/HomeAway as to status... Flights are all booked by many family members... I hope VRBO stands behind their security flaws and if this is a fraud, repay full amount of rental... Or better yet, Hope to find out this is not a scam, and we're booked... but not looking good.

More I'm reading online, VRBO knows that their Owners/Prop Mgr's email accounts can be hacked and all emails sent to them from the "Get Quote" button are intercepted and sent to hackers... Hackers respond with a very legitimate email with all the logo's etc...

VRBO/HomeAway not taking calls. They issue a canned response via email that I may be covered for $1000.00.
then VRBIO sends a long list of items they require just to consider a $1000.00 refund. No calls can be escalated beyond their HelpDesk (supervisor or someone in authority)... Pretty sad customer service, but a hell of a way to make money and not take ANY responsibility...

Tip for consumers: Be VERY aware of renting... VRBO/HomeAway.com is fully aware of the security issue and how hackers are accomplishing thru Owners and Managers email accounts. Let's see how VRBO responds or if I loose our $8000.00.

terrym83
12/2/15

The hard core might want to try this place , if your a Foodie, OUTSTANDING and a Great Beer and Wine selection. I even went back for more the next day

Tip for consumers: Don't Do It, especially if you finances are limited, i got..FlimFammed,
Sure sweet talking till they have you $$$$

susannan
11/26/15

We used VRBO to find an apartment rental in NYC and ended up with a company named CityKit that VRBO allows to rent through their website. I should have dug deeper when I made the reservation because after our really horrible experience I found reviews voicing very similar concerns to ours. The apartment was nothing like the pictures, it was run down, most of the amenities were missing and the unit heat went out the second night. We managed to get in touch with the office and they tried to do the right thing by bringing a space heater, but the "sup" who was actually supposed to come by and fix the heat never showed. Completely unacceptable and I blame both CItyKit and VRBO, as now looking closer there are many many complaints on line regarding CityKit but VRBO continues to allow them to rent on their site. I would never rent from CityKit again, they are completely dishonest with regards to the product they are selling. We only spent 2 nights and then moved to a hotel, seeing the other reviews it is pretty clear we won't get out money back for the additional 2 nights, but i won't let this ruin my vacation.

ritaf7
11/23/15

This is a terrible site! I have used it for years and now it really has gone down hill.Listings take reservations and deposit and then returns deposit when something better comes along and lies about it. Listings post 4-7 day rental and then when you inquire they say if it's not booked 2 months from date call back because we want 7 days instead of 4, then make it a 7 day listing. VRBO doesn't take calls to help manage the sites,they said leave a review. You can't review something you haven't stayed at! They need a review for communication with owners,too many are very dishonest!

tr4528
11/22/15

We have had listings on Vrbo for over 4 years. We have paid platinum subscriptions. The rates have increased drastically over the past year. The services we are provided as owners have reduced. We went from page 1 to page 4 and sometimes 5. I keep our calendar up to date daily. We have the most reviews in our area, and we have followed they with all requirement changes Vrbo has requested. In our area you can watch as a new listing is added it automatically goes to the top position and stays. For every new listing it moves us on back. I do not agree with the sort order best match. If a traveler is looking in just one area alone and has no filters, I believe our tenure should remain the top sort order. We ( all property owners) have worked to hard to promote our rentals to be placed on the last pages. We have watched our listing fall back after each booking. Vrbo has explanation as to why the properties are never sorting around. All cabins should get the equal amount of time on the front page instead of the same cabins. Keep in mind the cabins that are staying on the front page are the new listings. Vrbo needs some heavy competition and then maybe they would change their ways!

michaelg182
11/12/15

We paid for the Platinum Subscription to rake higher in search results since 2010. As it was told, certain criteria was a direct component to search rankings and we worked those criteria to assure our vacation rental placement near the top of the list for our area.
In 2015 the price for the Platinum subscription increased $ 350 but we wanted to maintain our placement in the 1st seven. Within the 1st 20 days following renewal, vrbo changed their algorithm and our property is now near the bottom of the list and we have not received even 1 inquiry since. Screw VRBO. I can do better using other advertising methods.

ceciliam10
11/11/15

Recently stayed at VRBO 1268067 in Russian River Valley, Sonoma County, CA. My husband and I bid and won 5 days/4 nights at what was marketed as a condo for a charity auction. THIS RENTAL IS A 1BEDROOM APT. ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF THE OWNERS HOME. It as was a huge disappointment. No cell service, no dishwasher, all of the website pictures are accurate but skewed. Would never pick this place. The owner actually contacted my husband to complain about our review which was sadly accurate of the (lack of) ammenities and comfort of the accomodation. I feel bad that others will spend over $200/night and have no idea what they are in for!

roxannk1
11/7/15

Booked this house for two weeks but the condition was such that we left after 18 hours. Since we purchased the carefree rental guarantee from VRBO we thought we were covered by travel insurance, but no. The Carefree Guarantee is meaningless and the owner Tamara Miller kept our three thousand dollar rental fee. As well as the house being moldy, the TV and Internet not working, and the yard being covered in foxtails, the setting of the house and area of Ocean Park, Washington is sub-par.

carrieg18
11/5/15

Had a nightmare of an experience staying at a supposed luxury home in Tahoe. Have done everything to leave a review for the property owner but vrbo has wrongly rejected it. I've called to speak with vrbo. The agent I spoke with hadn't a clue. Was "transferred to a supervisor" and gave up after being left on an endless hold.

carmelal
11/2/15

VRBO is the worst site ever. They don't let hosts review guests so since there's no qualifying who's staying at your house, our first guest was a woman who traded sex for the fare with her taxi cab driver as she had no money. They also accidentally booked her in for a longer period of time than she paid for. They synced my calendar with the wrong property, so they had space blocked out on my one listing instead of the correct listing. We have a bedroom suite and they won't let you list the pricing separately so every quote they send out for a booking is incorrect. I edited the quote they sent tonight and they figured their commission wrong. I called to question it and the rep said it was a "rarity in the algorithim" that computed it incorrectly and couldn't be fixed. They can't figure 10% incorrectly? When I talked to a supervisor and told him that was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard he said the rep must of pulled that answer out of her pocket (more likely out of her you know what!) And of course, it's in their favor. Their mobile site is worthless, it won't let you access anything other than your calendar and your inbox. They cancelled a request because they said I didn't respond, the email chain shows I responded with 4 hours. When you pull up the dashboard, it shows you the listing number, not the property name, because I have 3 properties listed, I never know which is which. And, they keep your money for 30 days on the first booking. Airbnb is the only way to go!

disnek
10/20/15

No one responds! If I had a home listed on vrbo..I would remove it immediately!

vonb1
10/16/15

I've been listed with both VRBO & Airbnb for about 8 months. After getting a $2400 booking and only receiving $2000 after booking and bank transfer fees, I decided to pay for their 1-yr membership. That was 3 months ago, and I've gotten not a single booking since. I made the colossal mistake of listing a client's property at the end of July. Just found out that the first booking was made with a stolen credit card. I do not check ID or anything as I assume the entity taking the booking has done their due diligence. I stated that to VRBO/Homeaway. I just checked my account and they have gone in without my permission and withdrawn the funds and has put me in overdraft. They funny thing is - they've charged me yet another fee for doing so. STAY FAR AWAY from this company. I feel like I have no recourse. That they can go into my account and just take the funds - it's astounding.

Tip for consumers: List on Airbnb. I've dealt with their CS. They're reasonable. And so are their fees.

candyd4
10/14/15

I have been with VRBO for over 15 years. They were originally Expedia, then VRBO went separate. They were a great start up for listing vacation properties. Then they merged with Homeaway, and had two separate sites which listed virtually the same thing. I went with both of them for several years, and never, not one time did I book a Homeastray booking! Sure I had inquiries, but not even one from Homeaway materialized. I still got plenty inquiries and bookings from vrbo. In my area they had upgrades which were for extra listings and also to be in the front pages of all listing that were in the described area. The first year, I was in the top five! Not bad, and always on the first page. I decided to try another year, and did not bat an eye to pay almost 1300 bucks for the bang. The first few weeks were OK, and then I noticed the inquiries dried up. I looked on the site and saw I was no where near the front page and now was on the second page towards the bottom. I contacted VRBO and the person on the phone told me it was because my computer knows who I am and my listing is not essential in my searches. I have plenty of computers, tablets, iphones, and laptops. None of them showed me my site on the first page. I knew right away that I was given the run around, and right now I will most likely never list with VRBO as they forgot their loyal customers and now only strive to flood the area with listing that are not even in the immediate area where they belong. I also experienced several fake inquiries from Homeaway, and even replied to one of the fake inquiries letting them know I that it was a fake inquiry, and offered them a huge discount if indeed they were serious. They said they were for real, but even with the massive discount, no booking! Now I know for sure Homeastray is not bonified on the inquiries, and VRBO is NOT the way to list your vacation rental. Try Airbnb.com for more listings, even though you do not see your money until 24 hours after the guests arrival, at least they get listing for you and it hardly cost anything!

joanm42
10/4/15

Hi,
My husband and I stayed at Ruby Red in Greater Groves neighborhood, Davenport, Florida from 8/21/15 - 8/26/15. The house was beautiful, spacious and well maintained.

It has been 6 weeks since our visit and we haven't received our security deposit back yet. I have attempted to contact the property manager twice in the past 3 weeks (via phone and email) but haven't received any response from them. I am still awaiting our security deposit.

ethelt9
10/4/15

I use two booking sites for my condo and here is the difference: VRBO customers are difficult. I'm not sure how VRBO does their marketing, but almost every single potential customer has done one of two things: they've asked me a lot of questions about aspects of my place that are listed on the site already (they're too lazy to read the entire listing) or they've tried to negotiate the price down. Often they will do both. I am frequently asked to charge a weekly (and lower) rate for stays of 3 to 4 days.

I am a hard-working home-owner who keeps a very high standard on the rental condo I have listed with VRBO. I've had to deal with potential customers like those described above and then with people who make sarcastic comments when they see I charge more in the high season (to offset the low season so I can pay my mortgage).

I think VRBO must be the place where customers feel they can get a bargain. It's too bad because that has led to some troll-like behaviour. I am sticking with the other booking company. I don't need the headaches of VRBO customers.

michelleg65
9/28/15

I use both airbnb and VRBO. I had a guest who only paid for half of their stay. I was never notified. I never received an email from VRBO the entire 30 days she had to pay the remainder of the rent. And, neither did the guest. When I called VRBO, they basically told me it's my responsibility to get the money. I informed them that this is never an issue on airbnb. I am always assured payment. I was told that this was not what VRBO is paid for. I also mentioned that it took up to a week to receive payment. I told them that I was already on the fence. Again, I was told there was nothing they could do. I am now hiding my listing. Just an FYI, my average rating was a 4.8. And, I am booked almost 100%. As far as I am concerned, I will not put my money toward a company with such lousy service!! I will be hiding my listing until my service expires at this point. Beware!!

dianer42
9/27/15

I've been reading here reviews of Vrbo that don't support my experience. Aside from a recent disturbing double booking problem with Vrbo wherein it appears Vrbo is concealing their fault, generally I've been very happy with their customer service and website ease of use
Compared to air b and b.

There are navigation buttons on vrbo's website that are more numerous, so you don't have to ask the community, waiting for an email. If you have a problem you can call Vrbo. If you can't change a rate, Vrbo will change it for you, instantly. You can charge different rates for different events on Vrbo. Not so on air B and B.

You can be paid at time of booking at Vrbo, which is fair, whereas at Air B and B, only air B and B gets paid at time of booking. The owners wait until check in.

I think air B and B is good for rooms for rent, from what I hear.

I like the personal touch, getting to know the owners aspect of air B and B.

The rates are outrageous on Vrbo but it has gotten me lots of guests.

As to reviews Vrbo posts bad reviews and no longer accepts even notes that guests write to you, signed, unfortunately.

karll25
9/22/15

Always worth a look before booking a hotel. Quality of hosts much higher than on Airbnb.

rond62
9/17/15

How do I contact someone with an international phone #?

lb46
9/16/15

If something goes wrong with a dishonest owner, you cannot count on VRBO/Homeaway.

robinp42
9/15/15

I have dealt with VRBO for over 10 years and have 12 homes listed with them.

In the last year there customer service will make you wait up to 25-30 to pick up a call and there rates have jumped 45% for no more inquiries.

Wish there was someone equal to them. As flipkey is horrid and air bnb is okay.

ede136
9/15/15

2014-2015, the price to purchase a platinum level listing was $899. Looking to renew, they increased the price by 45%!!! Unbelievable and guess they believe they now have a monopoly since part of homeaway. Tell me what other products have gone up 45% and customer service said, "well, we haven't increased our prices in 2 years". I know many companies that haven't increased prices in 6 years. A shame...

cynthiaa11
9/14/15

Host cancelled one month after accepting our deposit.

dustinw13
9/12/15

Anyone can give a review on VRBO/Homeaway anonymously. All one needs is an email address to create an acct. with these sites. Some of the reviews are obvious they are written by owner. Examples to look out for: If someone has made a complaint about cleanliness, lack of kitchen utensils, how unresponsive the owner is, etc. THEN the next reviews will go on and on about how clean it is, what a well stocked kitchen, how helpful the owner is etc. VRBO should only allow reviews from people who have booked and paid via VRBO. Only way to provide integrity to their reviews. That's the way AirBNB does it so they could if they were interested in honest reviews.

rayg37
9/8/15

Their review process of extornist by vrbo is weak and will let people falsify exzagaration to hurt ur bussiness and try to get unjustified free stays

curtisr13
9/7/15

I first want to say that the layout and location of the house was great, and the pool was an added bonus for my grandchildren. Now lets get into the disappointments of the property. I have taken my entire family on vacation to the same type of beach front property in Florida for the past three years and this one was not impressive.
The first thing I noticed when I opened the front door I looked down the hallway into the kitchen and saw the bare footprints on the floor of the previous vacationers that were staying here prior to our arrival. After I saw that I started taking photos of the spagetti stuck on the floor in the kitchen. Then took photos of the food on the dining room table and on the cushions of the sofa . The most disgusting thing though was the toenail clippings left on the rug in the upstairs den area.
When we arrived we noticed the two trash cans that are provided were full and overflowing. When you have fifteen people staying in the house you have to take the trash out at least once day. The cans were not emptied for two days after we arrived. On day three one of the sliding glass doors broke down and wouldn't slide. We called Tyler about the problem and they didn't send anyone out until the next day after we called Tyler a second time about the problem.
They sent out a carpet cleaning company to try and repair the door and he said that it was out of his league and the only thing he could do was to cut off a mop handle and stick into the door to square it up so we could lock it at night. I don't know what they would have done for us if both doors would have broken. I hate to imagine what they would have told us.
I say that because our last night here we went to use the gas grill and it was out of propane. We called Tyler and asked them to bring us a refill for the grill and he told us that was our responsibility and we would have to get a full tank if we wanted to use the grill. I'm sorry but why should I have to pay $20 for a refill that I am only going to use once?
The last and final thing I will tell you is that if you choose the back bedroom looking out at the beach you will have to use the bathroom in the dark at night and change into your clothes at night in the dark. There are no window treatments at all in the bathroom or bedroom what so ever. I did email the property management about everything and asked if I could at least have my money back on the cleaning fee but never got any response back from anyone. Go figure!!!

Not The Exquisite Getaway I Expected!!!

gregw33
9/4/15

I have been a loyal customer of VRBO/HomeAway since 2009. I have been extremely successful booking my property through their site. I treat this as a business not a hobby and have always done the things necessary to keep my listing at number 2-3 in rank (Calendar up to date, quick responses to inquiries, take credit cards, buy the rental insurance, max pictures, etc.)

Now some computer genius is using algorithms to rank properties and I have fallen to number 14 in rank. No big surprise I have not received one single booking after the day they unveiled this great new idea. Not one! Last year I was booked for April - August every single day back to back for five months and now I have not one single booking. They insist that it is nothing to do with their new "Best Match" program. Here is what their web site says, "We are moving away from the current listing quality score and gradually replacing it with best match".

I wrote to their President and reminded him I am actually his customer who pays for his service every year and it is unfathomable to me that he takes control over my ability to keep my property ranking high. No response; not even from a lacky.

Personally, I would highly recommend you use other services to list your property for rent. If things don't change I am going to demand my money back for this year - VRBO no longer works! g

lindas190
9/4/15

I wrote an honest review about a property #441194 in Gulfport, MS(August 28, 2015) and it has yet to be published, but it's amazing there was another excellent review posted since we stayed although the owner told us she did not have it rented and it was just last weekend that we stayed.
I wrote pro's and con's. All the reviews for the property were 5 star, but the last one published was May 2015. The house was extremely musty/mold smelling. All the AC units had black mold growing on them and I took pictures. We could not run the units bc of the smell and the master bed was under one of the units and had black pieces that would fall out of the unit when it came on. The owner stated no one would be staying there for a couple weeks and she would take care of it, but that certainly did not help us. If my husband complains it has to be bad! Everything we took smelled horrible and had to be washed even if still clean. When you pay a good amount of money for a vacation rental you expect to be able to review it negatively or positively.

lisem2
9/2/15

VRBO is refusing to publish our complaint because we did not reside at the property in question, but they double booked!
In early May 2015, when we first contacted Abbey Lane Cottages through VRBO, we inquired about two accommodations, The Captain's Quarters and Cozy Cottage. After consideration and numerous emails with the manager, we booked the Cozy Cottage. We sent our $300.00 deposit and signed a very detailed contract. We received the formal rental confirmation VRBO 701911 on May 27th 2015 for Thursday August 27th to Sunday August 30th.

When we arrived in Picton on August 27th, Abbey Lane's manager told us the Cozy Cottage was not available. Later, he made a passing reference to the fact that we were only renting for 3 nights. He also said he felt entitled to switch us to the Captain's Quarters because of our initial inquiry. When we objected, the manager reacted with disrespect and belligerence. In a underhanded attempt to mollify us, he displayed his handicap and listed his numerous ailments. It was with reluctance that he showed us the Captain's Quarters, and it was clear we were imposing. The situation was extremely uncomfortable, and the Captain's Quarters did not meet with our expectations.

We took the refund of our deposit and went to the local Chamber of Commerce for redress. Their representatives told us Abbey Lane Cottages were no longer members of their organization because too many complaints had been lodged against them. These Chamber representatives were very courteous and kind enough to help us find suitable accommodations on a very busy weekend.

annv3
9/1/15

It simply isn't true that you can't post a negative review on VRBO. If it's downright uncivilized with gratuitous profanity or something like that, yes, I'm sure VRBO will and should pull it. I am a homeowner and people have said things on my site that I have the right to refute. It's tough judging something through reviews because it is a fine perspective, not a full one. And we're all very different. And some people just can't be pleased, in this life.

20 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VRBO staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
3 weeks ago
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
1/11/16
Answer
andyc56
A: There are many problems with listing with VRBO/HomeAway. The 1st is that it is the largest company of it's size. While that may mean that you get more exposure, you also have more competition for getting your listing seen. For example, your listing could be # 300 out of 2,000. Most people don't want to search that far to find what they want because they can usually find something else sooner. In order to get a higher listing, you must pay more. I pay the highest rates they have for my properties in TN # 191351, 189535, & 289723, i.e. over $1,500 each. Listing position is also based on a number of criteria which they mandate. We have no control over some of those criteria. For example, listing position is based on whether or not guests USE VRBO/HomeAway on line booking. Initially, .VRBO/HomeAway required that we OFFER on line booking in order to maximize our listing position, so I offered it. VRBO/HomeAway then changed their criteria & now guests must USE on line booking in order or my listing position drops. I have no control over whether or not they USE VRBO/HomeAway & I don't recommend it for several reasons (more on that if you're interested). Listing positions are also determined by the number & quality of reviews. Again, I have no control over whether or not someone writes a review nor how they rate a property. What may be a 5 Star for someone may only be a 3 Star for someone else, but I'm at their mercy to provide a review & to rate it well. There are many other factors that go into listing position. As I said, I try to maximize what I can & If I'm luck, my property will be listed around 50/200. I get much better response from FlipKey by TripAdvisor. As I mentioned, I pay VRBO/HomeAway over $1,500 for each property. I Pay FlipKey by TripAdvisor about $450/property for #'s 6588094, 2386143, & 3746421 & get much better results. The problem with FlipKey is that it's hard for someone to search for a specific property using the property #.
1/12/16