US Government's NSF

San Francisco, CA 94105

32 Reviews for Uber.com

Review Highlights

patu2

25% off their ride fee, corporate made up the difference to the driver.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

alisaa1
10/16/14

Overall, I have enjoyed Uber as a passenger. Unfortunately though, I recently had a bad experience with a driver and the customer service was worse. I'm a loyal customer (having taken 28 trips for $900 in just 30 days) and was quite offended at how they handled this. Overall, I love Uber but I am sincerely disappointed about how they handled my complaint.

On October 14, 2014, I requested Uber at 7 a.m. The driver FLEW past my house and I tried to call them twice to ask them to turn around and come back as they just parked at the end of the block. The driver didn't answer so I walked a block and a half to get my Uber.

When I got into the car, I was overpowered by the scent of BO and/or some other offensive odor. I don't think the driver had it but the car was full of the smell. ugh, I walked a block and a half for this pleasure . . .

We then started our trip. By the time we hit the Steelyard curve on 176, she was chatting away at me (not bad in and of itself EXCEPT . . .) and looking at me while she spoke. I looked ahead at the line of brake lights ahead of us and shrieked! We came within INCHES of rear-ending the car ahead of us! YIKES!

After that, she drove 50 mph on the highway for the duration of our smelly trip.

I contacted uber that afternoon and the first guy said "sorry about your experience" and that was it . . .

The second person said "we'll talk to grace and I'll look into it" but I heard nothing further.

The third person said and this is a direct quote from her email: Sorry to hear that! We'll be sure to follow up with Grace to check in and share this concern. Again, thank you for taking the time to write in, I've added $10 credit to your account for the trouble. While it doesn't make up for the experience we hope this will allow you to have a better one in the future.

Yeah, Amber - you're right, it doesn't make up for the experience. Bad enough you don't even have a loyalty/frequent rider program but after your credit, I still paid $25+ for that ride?

They don't have a phone number either so you can't call anyone to complain. You're at the mercy of email.

glenk6
10/12/14

Uber website needs improvements. Fare quote doesn't work and doesn't tell you what it will take to work (e.g. what type of info). I simply chose New Orleans and then said airport or MSY airport and Westin Hotel Canal street. It should be able to figure that out. When you clear results to try again, you can't edit the start location - you have to reload the page which takes you back to choosing a city. Found it completely in effective.

Another flaky thing is that I log in and it shows my account then I go to get a fare quote and it takes be back to search city and implies that I need to log in again. Hope they can fix these few simple things. Using IE 11.0.96

ralphn10
10/12/14

Next door neighbor arrived from a late airport flight had to take a taxi as the uber driver never showed up.

robertw112
10/11/14

Worked well for me most of the time, but a couple times the driver took forever and looked like they got lost (watching the little map). During that time, I let several cabs go by. It's great when it works well, just wish it was more consistent.

glennt12
10/11/14

I have had great experiences with Uber in all cities I've visited. Sometimes the drivers can be a bit sketchy but you get that with taxi's too. Good for cities like san francisco when stuck in a place or new york and can't get a taxi ride.

paulm159
10/8/14

I drove for Uber in Detroit for 1.5 years. They charged alot for being on their network and stole the tips. They recently deactivated my company (setcars) because they said I Defrauded them. Lmao. Ok! Thanks for building up my company and then stealing my drivers and bankrupting it. They used me and everyone else. Threw illegal cars on the road to undercut limo drivers and destabilized the entire system. They suck, period.

henryh34
10/3/14

Do not get below a rating of 4.6 stars as a driver because that is one of their guidelines

bradfordt5
9/30/14

I was an Uber driver in Raleigh,NC for 2 months a couple months after the launch just to check out what all the hype was about. First and foremost, driving for Uber is like working for about $10/hr(maybe) when you do the math. Uber charges riders in Raleigh $1.20 per mile. They pay their drivers 80percent of that or .96/mile. That is a mathmatical fact.As a driver,when you pick-up a passenger and drive them to their destination, you have to drive back to the hot pick-up area to get another fare.That's a fact. Raleigh is not New York City where you can pick up a rider,drive them across the city, and pick up another fare 5 blocks away. In Raleigh, you pick-up a rider, drive them 10 miles away,and then drive back the same 10 miles to get another fare(typically in downtown or local concerts etc). I did it and I know. I even camped out at the airport for 2 weeks from 7AM-10AM when 35 flights typically come in from big Uber markets. Very few calls to drive and I positioned myself so that I would be the first to be called because of an area I know about very close to the terminals. Back to the nasty math that Uber hates to talk about.Your .96/mile is now half that or .48/mile,because you have to drive back to pick-up another passenger. Gas in an efficient car is .15/per mile that you drive. Bro, now you are down to making .33/mile. Hardly what I call a good job part-time or otherwise considering you are wearing out your car driving people around. No BS what I have just told you here.Just the facts.

stanisb
9/18/14

Uber is always jacking up the prices. It drives me crazy. I'd rather take a Lyft.

Tip for consumers: Try Lyft or SideCar or get a taxi or take a bus.

steves131
9/9/14

I am driver for Uber, and they suck, they charge lots of fees leaving you with little pay

Tip for consumers: Stay away from Uber

taylorl19
9/8/14

Uber is a SCAM! They charged $104 for a 10 minute ride in Austin, Texas. They say they have the right to add a surcharge if they feel like there is high demand. They added 10 times the charge without any prior notification.

tiffanym22
9/4/14

UBER SUCKS! MY DRIVER NEVER SHOWED UP. I GOT A TEXT SAYING MY DRIVER WOULD B HERE IN 3 MINS AND I WAITED AN HOUR. I never received any pictures email or phone numbers either. I CALLED YELLOW CAB AND SOMEONE WAS HERE IN 5 MINS. THEY HAVE NO PERMITS AND THEY NEED TO B SHUT DOWN. THEY ALSO HAVE NO COMMERICAL INSURANCE. SO IF YOUR DRIVER GETS IN AN ACCIDENT YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED!!! HOW UNSAFE. F*** THAT COMPANY! NEVER AGAIN.

Tip for consumers: ITS UNSAFE AND NOT PERMITTED BY ANY STATE YET. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

stevec84
8/28/14

Tip for consumers: Use Code : STEVE4989 - 1ST FREE RIDE UPTO $25 ( ON LYFT ) - DOWNLOAD FREE APP FOR IPHONE OR ANDROID

jodied10
8/26/14

I've used Uber a lot in California. However I used it at JFK airport in NYC. to Wayne NJ. It was very early in the AM, so no traffic.The ride was no more than 40 minutes and I was charged $269. which is unheard of..People in NYC need to know NOT to use Uber..

neiln4
8/12/14

Great service. e driver was friendly and picked me up within 5 minutes of sending the request. App is easy to load. I was hesitant at first but was impressed with the service so far. Use code hsu2r and we both get a free ride.

patu2
8/10/14

Please do not get suckered in to working with this unscrupulous company.
I'll be quitting the moment I get a promising job interview.
The Uber company is completely unethical towards it's drivers. When I started
2.5 months ago, I was all gung-ho but also paid very close attention
to payment amounts from each ride trip - gas/mileage + hours worked - the 20%
Uber cut. It only took one week to realize that I would have to really be
aware of demographics, time of day or night, population density, where
the out of control drinking was most concentrated, what areas attracted
the most police, speed limits, pavement conditions, areas to avoid due
to distance travelled just to pick up the rider...well you
see where I am going with this. Efficiency had to be top of the list!
For two months I was able to just break a little above even IF I drove for 10
Hour shifts on Thursdays thru to Saturdays into the wee hours of Sunday.
Oh sure " You can set your own hours", not really folks because the brunt
of your business will be on Friday, Saturday slowing to a trickle on Sundays
after the brunch bunch is done drinking their Mimosas!
Last night I thought of a new slogan for Uber:
"Don't drive drunk, ride drunk with Uber." !!! That is what you will be
doing, is driving drunk people especially from about 11:30 on into the night.
I won't drive much past midnight anymore, due to vomiting dunk obnoxious
binge drinkers. It is an ugly experience. Trust me on this. One male
passenger had to be literally carried by his two buddies down a flight
of stairs, he was out cold from extreme drinking. He was military and was
in good physical condition but couldn't stay conscious. Yep that might of
been a good time for me to refuse the ride. But noooo I stupidly let
that crew into my SUV. :( fortunately no one threw up in my vehicle ...
Almost though, it was close! Nice, real pleasant, NOT!
Are you getting the reality of what can happen if you drive too late
Into the night? Your precious vehicle could very easily get vomited on,
maybe even some will get on you as well!
When I started Uber had a promotion giving the riders an automatic
25% off their ride fee, corporate made up the difference to the driver.
That made it feasible, if you were really efficient, it was possible to
actually make a bit of profit. As of the beginning or August 2014, Uber changes the rider
Deduction to 20% for the summer, BUT does not make up the difference
to the driver. That means a total of a 40% reduction of rider payments for
the driver. 20/80 initial split for driver/Uber, then another bit of 20%!!!!
Now I made $4.00 to $6.00 dollars barely in the last 36 hours,
Thurs, Fri and Saturday.
That includes $140 in gas, not to mention mileage, oil change and DIY car washes.
Windex and paper towels.
Under the present 40% deduction , 20% of which was arbitrarily
forced upon the drivers and not covered by corporate, you might
as well shoot yourself in the foot. It would produce the same effect
except you would stay home and not be bending over while getting
nailed in the rear by the mean and cruel greed machine that has been
revealed. Plus your car won't get tortured by running for hours at a time.
This is my last weekend with these bastards. Amen!

mod26
8/2/14

Uber is a rip off. Don't get in the car. Driver will complain about their broke life and charge you three times the correct amount.

joee18
7/10/14

Uber is an illegal operation. Uber disobeys governmental laws, rules and regulations and soon will be shut down by FBI and Homeland Security.

pamf6
7/6/14

These people don't even check to see who's credit card people are using. I was shocked to find additional charges on my card that I hadn't made. You can't get in touch with anyone other than through e-mail and they take forever to respond. They only communicate via e-mail because they don't want someone yelling at them over the phone for their fraudulent activities. I will never ever ever use their services and I don't think any one else should either. UBER get a phone so people can communicate with you.

ronniew6
7/1/14

Uber drivers are a really mixed bag. Some are good an others don't know where they are going. They should get better training.

sdfasdfs
6/14/14

I Took a ride. Now I drive. Love it. My riders love the app too uberX is awesome very cheap rate and WAY better than cabs . Drivers are always close, super friendly, and really prompt. Service is affordable, as well. Couldn't be happier with uberX, and they really fun . HERE IS A $25 CREDIT CODE : z5ju9h
Enter this code z5ju9h In the payment section before you request your FIRST ride and. you will receive a $25 credit towards that ride .. The credit is valid on first ride so use it for a long ride to get the best value. Great community. Never take a taxi again...
so its time to enjoy the rides with amazing uberX

stevej63
6/13/14

never seen a small company give itself so may positive reviews on yelp. they do not even try to make them look real

joeg41
6/11/14

How dare you use the word taxi you are not a taxi service and never will be .black cabs are the best in the world and you want to come in and try to ruin an iconic London trade . There is no way a self respecting London cabbie will ever sign up to your company .

jonahs25
6/4/14

Uber sucks this company is poor management.Don't work with Uber and ride with it.This company practicing racism.RATING ZERO

johnc225
5/31/14

tried Uber X as a Driver in Atlanta. Big major mistake. Passengers were verbally abusive. Pick up location was always wrong. When and after the passenger gives you direction to where they were going they turn around and complain to Uber and they get a great discount at my expense. A 25 buck fare can easily be lowered to 16 bucks and there is nothing you can do. Anything worst would be working for free. Never again. Live and learn.

ramenp
5/29/14

uber sucks. I used them twice and I was obercharged both times. It was a big headache to get refund. A couple of my friend used uber too-they had the same problem like me. Both time my drivers didn't know where they were going too. One of them at least was nice, but the other was rude and even cursed me. Uber offers $10-$20 free ride in the beginning. That's the way they get people. There is nothing free in life. One or another way YOU will pay for it. I'll never use uber again.

juanp23
3/30/14

It sure can be a great experience for riders, but not so for drivers. Uber advertises $18-35 an hour while driving for Uber, but it's not true at all. I drove for 6 hours last night and I made like $90, and I was busy. See, while one can get a lot of riders, many just want to hop a few blocks away, which is not worth it for the driver at all. The fare will be just about $3.20 or so, or $5.50? Taking into account that maybe I drove more than a few blocks to pick up that rider just to take him/her 5 blocks away? Minimum flat fee should be at least $6 to make it worth picking them up. I actually have a rider whose fee was $3.20. But the driver has no way to know in advance these things, otherwise I won't pick up that person. Let's do the math, last night I made 90 - %20 to uber = 72, now 72 - 17gas = 55. Now 55 - 10 a day for car lease = 45 Now $45/ 6 hours shift = $7.5 which is less than minimum wage. Sure there are nights or days when you get a bit more, but that still be around $12/hour, other days average pay might be $15/hour or so, but no where near $35 an hour. In addition, if my car goes over the mileage limit from the lease I will pay 15 cents a mile and driving for Uber my car WILL go over the limit. Uber, should increase the prices to make it worth for the drivers, and riders before you complain the driver this and that and before you give such a low ratings, think about the privilege you have by using Uber, and how this ride might be at the drivers expense.

kebm
1/11/14

I have used it several times-maybe 6-7 and I found it to be easy and painless. I like the idea that I know what I am paying before they arrive, thus its my choice to use or not. No messin around with driving all over the place. I have seen coupons and promo codes too that take off 10-20% quite frequently. anyway, there ya go!

davidz15
12/18/13

For a service that asks for your credit card number right off the bat - they should really provide a support phone number. I trust you with my credit card information and all you give us is a general support email? I don't want to write you an email that gets responded to in a week when it comes to my money. People will be upset by this no matter what.

On another note, I see a lot of bad reviews on your company masked by fake good reviews on Yelp. Way to go, Uber.

beckyt6
12/18/13

great service, but hiring drivers who do not know their way around a town and only rely on GPS is unrealistic. Sometimes they just have to know intersections and how to get places without punching it into a GPS.

dianak4
5/13/13

Uber has several problems that make it a poor experience for consumers IMHO based on my own experiences:

1) Their drivers are not well-trained or carefully selected. As a result, some drivers don't know where they are going and are just bad drivers who would never be hired by a taxi company (which in my book is pretty bad). So your trip could take twice as long as it should, which means if you're late it's very hard to depend on Uber.

2) It costs a lot. Some fares depending on how slow your driver is could be twice as much as normal cab. They also use "surge pricing" which can increase the price of your fare.

3) Uber customer service has a bad attitude. Sort of like "you're wrong, this is why we're right". I'm not saying their customer service is worse than cab companies, but I am saying my experience with Uber customer service was poor.

So in summation, Uber is a good idea, poorly executed. I'd try one of the other cab hailing apps in your city (Flywheel, Instacab, etc.) because you're likely to save money and have a better driver.

rogerr22
5/8/13

Uber is kind of like magic. You punch a few buttons on the app on your phone, and you watch as a black car appears out of nowhere at your doorstep. It's so much better than calling a taxi it's ridiculous. It does come at a price though--the black car service I've found to be about 20-25% more than a taxi, and the Uber taxi service was maybe 10-15% more. But honestly, it's kind of worth it. It's so painless...if only every service was like this.

Best Car Sharing Businesses Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber