US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

barbaray6

I have purchased numerous items on Tophatter and have been mostly satisfied. (in 33 reviews)

kimberlye2

For buyers it is a nice little site to buy stuff on, until you realize how cheap the sellers get the items for. (in 40 reviews)

erinb20

If you want a good and authentic auction site, try www.designer2u.net. (in 6 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jenniferz8
1/20/15

I am going on 15 days of trying to get TopHatter to refund my $152.00 that the took out for payment on the same item twice. I email them the bank records. the double withdrawals were simultaneously in sequential order. csse #583551. I will be filing a BBB complaint tomorrow

Tip for consumers: Make sure you check you bank it credit card statements the following day for double charges

leno23
1/19/15

As a new seller on Tophatter I find their methods of operation ridiculous. They allow you to sell 1 item per day and all of my items that actually got listed have appeared at 7 am in the morning. They charge you hefty fees upfront and really you keep paying and nothing sells . I predict they wont last long with the absurd rules the have for sellers
This is the only auction that I have actually lost money ! I'm out!!!

juliaw16
1/16/15

I was blown away at the number of bad reviews until I realized most are from former sellers talking about being mistreated on the selling side. Well, as a customer/buyer, I can't speak for the sellers but I am obsessed with Tophatter! To date, I have purchased 10 or so Coach handbags, a few Michael Kors items & a Dooney wallet; all of which were 100% authentic and well below retail cost. Most of my Coach bags are hard to find and I bought some for $100 less than Ebay. If you do not have the knowledge to know an authentic item vs. a knock off, then do your homework and then shop here instead of complaining about being ripped off when chances are, what you bought is probably authentic and you just don't know it.

In short, I highly recommend for their designer handbags & to not be turned off by the numerous irate former sellers. They treat their customers (buyers) very well and that's what matters to me.

deborahb26
1/12/15

I have no idea why there are so many negative reviews on Tophatter. I have purchased 9 items so far, mostly Betsey Johnson and Juicy Couture handbags and jewelry. I have had a FANTASTIC experience so far. Great deals on beautiful items. Always shipped asap, exactly as described. The auctions are real time, as well as buy it now opportunities on every item. I have already saved hundreds of dollars and the sellers are totally reputable. Gals...I read up on this site and after seeing all the negative reviews, I proceeded with caution. Tophatter has proven to be THE PLACE to buy everything from jewelry, designer everything, to bedding and more!!! Bidding is fun. I have never had to pay the asking price, and bidding is fun!!!! TRY SHOPPING ON TOPHATTER! I do not work for them in any way, just want other consumers to know the absolute truth about this fantastic online website! Jadesmom, Las Vegas, Nevada

Tip for consumers: TRY TOPHATTER! If you enjoy shopping at a reputable online site, you will be supporting consumers instead of corporations, and love the great merchandise and the money you will save!

cynr
1/9/15

I see a lot of bad reviews for Tophatter and I myself can not comment on sellers since I haven't actually sold anything through them however I am a buyer and I buy a lot of things mostly coach purses and I am aware that fakes are out there however I never buy at the auction themselves until or unless I have investigated first thoroughly by checking the bags, getting info on creeds (whether there is one in that bag and whether it has a serial number as some do not) and asking the seller before hand for personal pictures not stock ones that can be gotten off internet the pictures I ask for must contain stitching pictures and creed picture and place where purchased and I only pay with Paypal as they guarantee the purchase and will refund me if I make a mistake and get the money back themselves Also since they do not get the products themselves it seems extremely stupid to blame them for fakes you might have received they are like ebay just a go between if you don't do your homework why do you expect them to do theirs? I am smart enough to actually know how to shop don't whine if your not

Tip for consumers: Know what your doing

denises25
1/5/15

BUYER BEWARE!!! I had a terrible experience with Tophatter and seller Gems4RebelBling. This seller does not respond to questions, argues and exaggerates length of time since the shoes were ordered and received, and then purposely left me hanging when they said they would get back to me. I contacted Tophatter to make a complaint and they said there was nothing they could do because too much time had passed. I am very upset and will not purchase anything else through this site. What kind of a vendor will not refund a purchase that does not fit???

garym66
1/4/15

this place is a joke! everyone needs to know that it is more of a scam than anything else. do buyers know that the sellers dont get the shipping money!!!!!!!! tophatter takes all of the over inflated shipping monies! they are making more money on shipping than sellers are on their products. current sellers are just filling the pockets of the bigwigs and nobody seems to care. customer service?? really??? they have no clue on what customer service is. imagine, 2015 and you cant call someone there. you have to wait days for some type of form reply. buyers and sellers alike should stay away from this site that is only to make money for tophatter. they dont care about buyers/sellers at all. it is a pathetic place with a lot of site issues, goes down all the time. and they keep all of the shipping money! no discounts to sellers or buyers. if a buyer does get a break on shipping it is in the form of a credit, not even a refund. this place is a joke

Tip for consumers: stay away

roccos20
12/23/14

After over 14 years of selling online I have discovered a site that really works for me. It is Tophatter...with their live auctions it allows reliable sellers to control inventory by listing in daily live auctions within specific categories....
Their standards are very high for sellers and buyers and to date have offered high quality customer service.
Best,

Rocco Spaccio

papap
12/21/14

I was first a buyer and then a seller. I was first happy, and then pissed off. As a buyer, I got good prices, but I also got crappy quality. So, it is what it is there. As a seller, it is EXHAUSTING trying to keep the staff updated on all their mistakes and all the fakes.

As a buyer, it never occurred to me not to pay. However, there are PLENTY of no payers and people who cancel. Buyers remorse runs rampant and there are no ramifications. Top Hatter doesn't care if buyers don't pay. They allow them to stay with the hope that they will eventually pay for something. And those who have been kicked off, just come back under a new name. It's ridiculous.

There are authentic Coach and Michael Kors items on the site. HOWEVER, there are plenty of fakes. They will let anyone sell. They don't require any proof of purchase unless a buyer makes a complaint. Any Joe Schmo can sell a crap ton of counterfeits (Alibaba) until they get caught, and then they **may** get kicked off. I had to notify the staff of counterfeit items. I had to spend my time taking screen shots and providing examples of the knock off site where the items came from. They have absolutely NO quality checks in place. Why? GREED BABY GREED!!!! They don't care as long as they are pocketing all that money and fees.

There are good sellers. The bad ones ruin it though and I would NEVER buy with confidence from the site again, knowing what I know now.

And, get this, sellers are allowed to sell items that were "free with purchase". You might might buy a Michael Kors clutch for a dirt cheap price, but it's a crappy, low quality thing that was "free gift with purchase".

There are so many things wrong with how the place is run. Low quality, high fees, no accountability, unreliable, awful support system, etc etc etc

Tip for consumers: Tip: Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc. Save your money for legitimate places and sell at these places where they won't continually screw you over.

ap526
12/20/14

Bought a princess carriage necklace for my daughter. NEVER got it. Tracking says delivered to an address I never even lived at took 4 months to get my money back. Seller refused it Tophatter had to pay it. They did the exact same thing to my mom a week later. Ripped her off on some rings she never got.. never did get her money..

dorothyc9
12/13/14

I am a buyer & a cancer patient. While layed up undergoing treatments I decided to check this site out. HUGE mistake. 1 item I ordered (waterfall shower head). It arrived & I was very excited to begin my therapeutic showers for relaxation. The item was defected

Tip for consumers: Stay away

laurenl17
12/3/14

I ordered about 4 separate items around the same time. 2 of them came to my correct address and the others were shipped to a very old address that I did not provide to Tophatter. The items were then listed in the system as being delivered but I have no item. I was able to convicne one of the sellers to refund the money but the other one won't. I have tried to address it through customer support which is TERRIBLE. I have opened a case with paypal to try to get my money back. My recommendation- DO NOT PURCHASE ITEMS FROM THIS WEBSITE!!!!!! STAY AWAY!

Tip for consumers: DON'T.

sc1595
11/9/14

I bought an imitation Coach Bag and they refused to grant me a refund after I filed a case. Lluvia is the seller and she was able to print a fake Coach receipt and provide it to Tophatter as "proof of purchase." Proof of authentifiaction? No. It's a scam and I'm out 150.00 for a fake bag. I called the FBI and filed a report in the sellers FBI field office in Victorville CA. I also filed a report with the Coach counterfeiting department. I will sue them for all they are worth. They ruled in favor of the seller based upon a fake doctored receipt - I stead of looking at the I side leather creed tag for the serial numbers. But they did not! So I'm going to sue this Palo Alto based firm 10-20 minutes away from me.

Tip for consumers: Counterfeit Coach Bags sold as authentic on Tophatter. Fake Coach purse

lisaw75
11/6/14

This was my first time purchase from Kendra ,bought what I thought was a coach purse but when i recieved it boy was I so disappointed,what a cheap imitation could have gone to Walmart got a better bag. Let's just say I'm deleting this site , your not going to get me a second time.Delete Delete !! Still waiting to hear from top hatter , because seller says I can only exchange my bag Lmao .

danaj9
11/4/14

These comments are from well established sellers on Tophatter and fine examples why not to sell on Tophatter.

Dear Tophatter,
Please give me a reason, just one reason, why I should continue to do business on your site? You give us auctions, then if we don't meet your standards, even when we take more lots 2 days before the auction, which is helping you out, making us run into 2 am the next day, we get lots in our next auction taken away? We get catalogs, and work hard to get them set up, and bam, they disappear, with more lame lies ,excuses, and in typical TH fashion, without warning.

Tell me why I should continue to do business with you when I'm paying you 30% of my hard earned money to be continually treated poorly? You have your employees give us the whole "if you don't like it, you can leave" speech. You act like WE, the sellers, work for YOU. You are not my employer!!! WE pay YOU for a service and you should provide us with a better service than you do. You should have the mentality that every seller counts, because big or small, we make Tophatter what it is!

I am a 5 star seller and have been since you came up with this system. All of my feedback are positive, but 3, and those are neutrals. So why would you treat me, a great seller, with great repeat customers, so poorly, to bring in drop shippers selling Made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, etc sellers?

You delete our posts when we speak our minds and tell you that we are unhappy with your changes. You are the most delusional business out there. I guess if it's not there for others to see, the problem doesn't exist, and will go away.

Social media is getting filled with the truth of how you are treating your sellers! Your greed, ego, and utter lack of business sense will be your downfall. You could have been a good thing, but instead, you think your ideas are the only ideas and the rest of us are idiots.

But it's not me who has started 3 businesses or more and failed! It is you!

So I guess I answered my own question. These reasons, and more, are why I will not be sticking around Tophatter after the new year. I made commitments to auctions and I, unlike Tophatter, am professional enough to keep my commitments. My word means something!

"My Last Two Cents"

So now on top of breaching the contract with myself and my business partner for the 5 more PA's we had scheduled for the rest of the year, where we agreed to a straight 30% of sales, they have now, without our consent, added a $1 listing fee per item as well to all of the auctions we have lined up after this week.

Screen shots have all been taken, emails gathered proving we had our auctions set up in August where we only agreed to the 30%

I know what you are doing and you are doing it pretty blatantly ~ Breach of contract is illegal in all 50 states, and the burden of proof that lies on Us, will be covered. You might think you have gotten rid of the "problem" but if you contuiue to try and shove this down our throats, I will not go quietly into the night...

I am contacting the FTC, the BBB, my local investigative news team AND a lawyer.

I may not have a strong case but I have a feeling, once I gather the rest of the sellers that you have scammed along the way, we will have a strong enough case for an investigation at least

I sure hope you treat YOUR employees better then you force them to treat us because they all might be out of a job after the holiday season. The reporter I already spoke with said it sounds like the last ditch effort to get every last cent out of the sellers that have remained because their precious "platform" is crumbling beneath them

Bad Bad business never gets good. Didn't you already figure that out after the previous 3 sites you failed at?

Obviously not.

We will all reap what we sow in the end. I promise you that

brigittew
10/30/14

Bought a surround system, didn't come with all the equipment. Emailed the seller, no response. Emailed Tophatter, they suggested I contact the seller again. Did, still no response. Contacted Tophatter again and told they me to return the system as the seller didn't respond to them either. Sent the system back. Tophatter closed my complaint case as the seller didn't respond. They are worthless. Now I'm totally out out of what I paid and the seller has the system back. What a rip off.

angeld3
10/24/14

TOPHATTER IS A BIG NO NO! HIGH FEES, AND THEY DONT TREAT THEIR SELLERS RIGHT, HAD AWFUL SUPPORT AND WAY HIGH FEES BETTER GO TO

ALMOST THE SAME SITE LIVE AUCTION SITE BUT THEIR STAFF ARE FRIENDLY AND THEY HAVE LOW FEES! BUYERS AND SELLERS JOIN THERE, U GOTTA LOVE THAT SITE I PROMISE!

barbaray6
10/19/14

I have purchased numerous items on Tophatter and have been mostly satisfied. The key is to research retail and determine whether or not TH prices are better with or free shipping. Don't get caught up in the bidding hype. I applied and was approved as a seller, but declined in the end since I saw similar items to mine going unsold repeatedly. My shipping costs are high due to the weight and type of product (mostly liquid) and it just wasn't worth it for me. But they were gracious when I explained and I've never heard anything negative from them since. This website serves a purpose for many; not for all perhaps.

tinac19
10/17/14

I'm a disgusted with the seller Canne. I was sent the wrong size recieving a 2XL when I requested a L. She says I don't do refunds on corset . Never head of such crap. I never opened it or worn the darn thing.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site. It is such a headache and a waste if mone . Please stay awa .

jens223
9/28/14

Treats their sellers like crap! Fees are outrageous! Cant make money from a site that only knows the words MINE, MINE, MINE! Like a 3 year old child that thinks they should get everything they want!

Tip for consumers: Beware!

novaw
9/24/14

Chinese resellers. You can get better deals on eBay. They take 60% commission and treat their sellers like crap.

Tip for consumers: Avoid at all costs@@@ Use eBay or Etsy!

noyas1
9/23/14

I am a customer once a seller refunds you unless you contact tophatter they keep your moeny! support never gets back to you when you email them this site works backwards ill be surprised if there still around in a year. i hope the owner reads this and understands his employees are killing this site! learn from ebay and amazon how to run a auction site instead of having your employees eat cupcakes all day!

Tip for consumers: Dont bother go on strike they are horrible clowns working there

erinb20
9/16/14

If you want a good and authentic auction site, try www.designer2u.net. It's a brand new business with fat deals. TH seems to have too many bidders and the final price of items tends to be more than you would spend if you were to go to the stores yourself.

If you like the fun of bidding and love fashion you should definitely check out designer2u!

dollyt
9/9/14

This site sucks..and the people buying are bullies..when i asked someone why they were bidding so much for a bag they could get at tjmaxx for 99.00 I was told to shut up and not spoil the fun....F...you..is my only response to that..the people bidding are idiots...cheap crap..stay away!!!

lisah82
8/29/14

I purchased a make-up kit from carie. It came to me half empty with eye shadow, and some missing. I have tried to reach her directly to no avail. I demand my money back and will not shop tophatter again!!!

Tip for consumers: AVOID!!

stacyr17
8/6/14

It is a bidding website, prices will be low or high depending on bidders. Why would anyone bid $40 for an item that is worth $6? So many good deals, Tophatter support always take the buyers side. It is fun too.

itsmarlenesi
8/6/14

I would give less that even zero star. This is the worst place to sell and I am very professional in sale and have a big experience with tophatter as well. If you sum how much you paying them you will pull out all your hairs! they just greedy, non-care, horrible company that you can find! they will charge you so much in fees that you would not even believe that it is possible. and you can see that if it will continue same way this company will no longer exist soon or only sellers with with no-brain will be there which of course will not be good for buyers too.

kimberlye2
8/1/14

I've been happy with everything I've bought. However, the Michael Kors bags are fake and the rings and other jewelry you can get for $1-$5 on a site called aliexpress instead of a $40 or $50 ring. For buyers it is a nice little site to buy stuff on, until you realize how cheap the sellers get the items for.

balulal
8/1/14

Bunch of Jokers! Read my letter to TopHatter customer Service:

Dear Top Hatter Admin, I take the time to write in detail and fully explain my issues to you, and you give me a half-ass response ‘Thank you for your comments, one of our representatives will contact you shortly blah blah blah…” but two days later you send me this form email asking me to fill out a feedback survey? Is that your idea of a"contacting me"? Would you like fries with that? C’mon.

Two issues: allowing buyers to arbitrarily cancel orders is highly unorthodox in the auction world. Your two-strike policy is not worth a hill of beans, when the buyer can just open a new account under a new name. I suspect you have implemented this policy to facilitate your internal shill bidding and as I have noticed you have an unusually high amount of buyers present at your auctions that have hundreds of bids in their 2 year history but no purchases. Boy, those guys must be really unlucky! Further, if you’re going to allow such as asinine policy to exist, for what ever reason, then at least allow the seller to offer the item to the runner up. Most of all, don’t make the seller wait three more days to get relisted, they should be re-prioritized in the que. And finally, don’t relist their auction at friggin’ 3AM when no one is on line, and still charge them the auction fee anyway when their item doesn’t sell. That is nonsense.

The same item that I sold for 30 dollars in my first auction, was FINALLY relisted a week later, after 15 reschedule requests, but at 3AM EST(6AM CT), and didn’t sell of course because no one was there. I have been unable to list since then, each time I try to schedule you guys give me some bull$#*! that it was unable to be rescheduled because there was no room in the auction, and I should try a later time… but yet no later time is available for booking because you only put current day and next day auctions on your scheduling board. The next time I try to reschedule and the very same items is rejected for completely different reason. I noticed that once my free trial credits ran out.. some how I can’t get scheduled anymore.

I paid my 1 dollar for the last auction but you aint gettin’ the next one because you went and booked me at 3AM again and of course my item didn’t sell again. Please close my account- you can eat the dollar I owe you or shove it up your fraudulent backside.

krisz3
7/28/14

Horrible site because you are getting ripped off.The suggested retail is such a joke!I could sell something and say it was suggested retail of $500 and it is no where close to that.More like $35.00 but people buy it thinking they got such a good deal.People do your research and find out before you bid on something how much it is worth.You literally could find the same thing on amazon for less and free shipping.

catm6
7/20/14

I have never experienced something quite like this- my relationship with TH was 3 weeks old and our business will stop there. I was a buyer, paid for my orders immediately and just ask that sellers communicate if there is an issue with shipment. I have now been called a bully and a crybaby because something I purchased was supposed to ship a week ago (gift) and the seller never responded to any request for information until I contacted TH. I requested the purchase be cancelled numerous times given the window had passed, I was ignored and she shipped the product anyway and has now proceeded to send rude and abusive messages. So, while I see some posts here from the seller perspective not being so great, let me tell you- no picnic from the buyer side unless you have a seamless transaction. If you have an issue, you can bet TH is not going to help you resolve because they want the fees associated with the transaction and will absolutely screw the buyer and allow the seller to behave like a bafoon with no repercussions.

lisal65
7/14/14

I've bought quite a few Coach items on TH and they are all very genuine, I have carefully inspected all of my purchases and they are real, even had them authenticated by a close friend of mine who works at Coach. If you believe the item that you bought wasn't authentic TH has a policy for buyers to contest the authenticity of the product and receive a full refund if the seller fails to provide proof of authenticity on name brand products. I haven't had any trouble as far as purchases go. I'm giving this a 4 star and not a 5 because as a seller the fees are absolutely outrageous. Anyhow it's unfortunate that some of you received faulty items or items other then what the seller promised. Make sure to leave feedback or take any actions necessary for a refund. I have opened a case before and the seller had to refund me my money because the item was not as described, there wasn't any hassle and I got a full refund back upon returning the item to the seller. So, so far TH is my go to site for buying Coach products, I wish I could comment on the other name brand products, but can only contest to Coach as that is my main area of purchase.

As far as the jewelry goes you need to read the description carefully. The majority of the sellers are completely honest about their product. And you should do your own research, I usually google a jewelry product and find it cheaper on other sites...just saying so research is important. Anyhow it's unfortunate how many negative reviews are on here for the site. It's really not that bad...

joannep10
7/10/14

The coach products are real and are at a great buy. I don't recommend buy the jewelry. The quality is poor and not worth it. I have brought other products and I have been happy with everything expect the jewelry.

georgeb72
7/10/14

Been selling on Tophatter since they opened in 2012. I have so many bad things I could tell you about these people, and their company. But rather than to go into all the details. Its best I just tell you to stay away from trying to sell here. Buyers for the most part get great deals on items sold there, and most of the sellers are as honest as they come. We are just trying to make a living, but Tophatter is not the place for depending on any kind of income. The fee's are just way too high. They are greedy folks who run this place, and care nothing about anything but money! So, best to stay away unless your willing to open your pockets and dish out lots of money!

lg19
7/9/14

I've been both buyer and seller! I can say the coach bags are authentic because they are screened. Jewelry however can be an issue if you buy plated make sure you r aware that plated jewelry will not hold up to everyday wear and tear. As a seller of jewelry I purchase jewelry made only in the USA and tend to sell only stainless steel because it will never change colors turn your finger green and is hypoallergenic! Don't let this one bad site ruin your experience! I also sell coach and they are authentic! And am always happy to show proof of sale! MY ADVICE IS TO TRY THIS BRAND NEW AUCTION SITE THATS IN ITS BABY PHASE, THEY TREAT BOTH BUYERS AND SELLERS WITH RESPECT AND DO NOT CHARGE THE SELLERS OBNOXIOUS FEES WHICH IN TURN CAUSES SELLERS TO PURCHASE CHEAPER QUALITY JEWELRY TO MAKE A PROFIT! I do not work for this new site but would like to see both sellers and buyers work together to meet the supply and demand of quality items. :) www.https//raiseyourpaddlez.com

polkadotbeeb
6/21/14

Im a Coach bags seller and all my items are 100% authentic and i came from coach factory.When i saw this site ad to facebook i told myself,why not try to check so i need.for me live auction is good so i decided to apply as a seller.OMGood gracious! The process to post is painful.First,you need to submit a request form from the website and wait for 2-3days for them to evaluate you as a seller.they will send you an email with link for you to go to the next process which is to fill out another form about your paypal infos and facebook account (required,if you dont have FB,forget it!) for verification after you submit,they will send you message that you can now start posting.i thought im all set but im not!..you can only post 3 item as a beginner if you sold them and ship then they will send you a message that you can now post unlimited items.You MUST ship the item and post the tracking number first before you post new item to sell otherwise they wont allow you at all.Before you post the item you need to REQUEST TO SCHEDULE each item on their Host Auctions Section to include your item to live auction group which has date,time and fees you need to pay.after you request to schedule they will send you another message saying if your request is approve.In Live auction even if you are not there your item is still go to auction or you can be there live and talk to the buyers who have questions or give more info about the item you are selling to attract more bidders.shen your item is sold you give the buyer 2hrs to pay otherwise the item is cancel and you can write a review or blocked the buyer on you next auction for unpaid item.As long as the buyer doesnt recieve the item your payment wont reflect to your paypal account.which may take a week.The problem i got is when i calculate my money..i end up losing than earning and the 10-20% of fees from the total amount is way too MUCH!!! i pulled my hair after that.Then i decided to go back to ebay the fees are less than a buck and way easy to post.Tophatter is now my TOP-HATER site.Never again!

kenyaj
6/20/14

RIP OFF!!! THEY ARE SELLNG FAKE AND USED COACH AND MICHAEL KORS BAGS!!! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY SO DISAPPOINTED

ec78
6/20/14

I SOLD 9 ITEMS ON THERE AND PAID $300 IN FEES IN 2 WEEKS. EVERYTHING I SELL IS REAL NAME BRAND!! THIS SITE BETTER LOWER THERE FEES OR THEY WILL GET SUED!! AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WILL BE A PART OF THAT LAWSUIT!!! SELLERS BEWARE!!!!

billyjeanp
6/12/14

Worst experience ever. I ordered a Coach watch, the band was lightly scratched and the clock was running when I received it. I did write this in the feedback and had the seller messaging me for the next hour accusing me of lyang, saying I could send it back cause she paid more for it then I did anyways, anything to try and humilate me into giving her the positive feedback she did not deserve! NEVER AGAIN will I use Tophatter.

justint25
5/23/14

Sorry,I couldn't find the "0" star rating......top hatter newest scam is Michael Kors purses from . http://www.argozeta.com/?tags=wholesale+michael+kors.html
Really good fakes but again FAKES. Because TH lets this happen,I guessing the MK is sold by staff under fictitious names

jd74
5/23/14

Liars - Thieves - Con Artists if this is the company you want in your life then TH is the place to hang out

carolinep5
5/11/14

I have bought so much stuff on TH. I would also like to mention that I am not a seller, just a buyer. I've been a member since the beginning back in 2010, and I have nothing but good things to say. I bid a lot (several times a week), sometimes I win, sometimes I have to let it go because I don't want to bid any higher. Just like anywhere else, you have to be responsible with your bidding and set your own limits.

I have had maybe two or three wins that were not satisfactory, but the sellers fixed my issues promptly and professionally. You can't just say you didn't get an item, or that it's broken. You will need to send pictures to the seller most of the time, but I never had a problem with that as it protects the seller. In the case where I had to send an item back, shipping was paid by the seller.

TH does look at suggestions and criticisms, contrary to what is stated below. In the past few months, TH has rolled out app updates, designer guarantees and best price guarantees on their stuff. The designer guarantees are incredible! If you win an item in a designer auction and think it's not authentic, they will absolutely take care of it and you will not be disappointed. The sellers in those auctions have to go through a rigorous authentication process, and they are just as anxious to prove their products are genuine! Not all sellers offer the Best Price Guarantee, but the staff sellers do. That means that if I win an item and find it cheaper online somewhere else, they either adjust the invoice (if I haven't paid) or refund the difference. I've used that guarantee so much! You can always contact a seller (through their username, not personal information) to ask if they will honor another price, too, though they may choose not to. That is where responsible bidding comes in. If you overbid, it should not be the sellers responsibility.

I have won stuff in almost every auction. Home items, Designer Beauty (where I spend the most), the Rewards auctions, the various Electronics auctions... I have never been unhappy with a single transaction.

schuylarl
5/10/14

Absolutely horrible place to sell online. I wrote an article about it -

seekyt.com/the-bad-things-of-selling-on-the-live-auction-website-tophatter-com/

celestet1
4/16/14

I really don't need to state much here expect for try Googling Tophatter and read ALL the reviews from people who have experienced their fair share of Tophatter. Then go to www.ripoffreport.com and read those reviews. I was a seller on Tophatter for 7 months yes it starts out nice until they decide if you are worth getting scheduled into their auctions or not. Their fees are high and their customer service his horrible. This is by FAR the WORST site for trying to grow your online business. Do NOT get taken into their scams. I did not catch it at first but when I saw all the FAKE items from aliexpress constantly appearing in every auction day and night I began to check out this company. I have been selling on eBay for about 10 years and my items are true to the description. I don't buy FAKE items and try to pass them off as real. Tophatter does NOT care about the sellers, As long as the money is coming in they do NOTHING. Once I questioned what was going on my ability to sell during the day was KILLED. I was limited to 11pm listing until 7am nothing more. My standards and items are not worthy of being on Tophatter and I emailed over 4,000 buyers and let them know I will be moving my items over to a new live auction site. I have investigated this site and look forward to growing my business. Save yourself the effort and READ the reviews from MANY people FIRST. Everyone cannot be telling a lie!
This company WILL go down because they do not know the meaning of HUMAN customer service. Each and every person that works there is full of CRAP. Never get a straight answer. I will make sure I spread the word around about Tophatter. Do NOT sell on their site. Do NOT buy on their site.

helenb23
4/13/14

This is what staff/owner of tophatter.com thinks about their bad reviews:

STAFF Chris E
Regardless, Tophatter is primarily mobile, and the app store reviews are more important than google search results (except when it comes to attracting new sellers).

"don't you agree that companies should not be able to control the public opinions expressed about them?"

Seller:
Tophatter should practice what they preach. TH is quick to delete opinions expressed here.

STAFF Chris E
This is the one place that we can control the editorial content, and we will continue to delete posts that unfairly or inaccurately disparage Tophatter, or anyone else for that matter.

My review:
I suffered for these people first as a buyer and at first things were ok, I did get robbed a couple of times, and then I decided to sell there maybe I could make a difference and help this company,because they were new. Big mistake! I had over 2500 great sales and just a small handful of neutral, which they (th) count as a negative.But of course they do not tell the customers leaving feeback that. They (Charles) gave my private seller information out to a customer, and the customer forwarded it to me so I would know. I had other sellers buying my things just to leave me bad feedback and it worked too, even though the staff knew what was happening they didnt care they said they would not count it bad against me but they did.I have been double charged quite a few times,never repayed.Also I was charged for refunded orders where I had to pay them (th) their money even though the sale never went through because the buyer cancelled:And lost products when the site made me give a refunds for no reason and the items were never sent back to me. They make you do it: and most of the customers know that and get all the freebies they can, they know all they have to do is complain and they will get it for free It was in the sellers forum where the buyers could also go in and read up on the new ways to get free things.I was treated horribly by them and when charles came in he really messed things up for me;If you talk too much in the forums you get deleted and then usually blocked.I am totally honest this is all real and is only the tip of the iceburg because there is not enough room here for me to tell it all. I cannot believe all the money I lost, and how many times I stuck up for this company only to be treated like I was nothing when my stars went down due to 2 other sellers taking me down.THESE GUYS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING!They should be sued.I have paperwork that says this site owes me around 10,000 dollars in illegal transactions.No Lies, they other x-sellers here know this is all true. This site is seriously vicious and I have never seen such greed, It is disgusting.

mindyb2
4/1/14

I have read all the negative reviews, and I feel like, from a buyer's perspective, they are very unfair. I have bought several items from the site and I have only had good experiences. This site is like any other in the respect that you have to make a reasonable decision as a consumer. Read the product description. No one lies or makes false claims, they tell you if you are buying 'costume jewelry' or the real deal. Of course you won't get a diamond ring set in white gold for $2. You may however get cubic zirconia set in a white gold filled setting for $2. You can also look at the seller's independent site and find a retail price for what you are bidding on. The price may be much cheaper than what the current bid is for that item, and if that is the case, simply stop bidding and buy it outright. Overall, the site is fun, and you can get good deals if you READ and make smart bids.

reneh32
3/20/14

This is a horrible place to buy or sell. Tophatter is greedy and mean and takes the nickel however they can get it. I once thought Etsy and Ebay had flaws.... I will never think that again! Stay away! I can't stress that enough. The staff sells knock off drop shipped never as described stuff and leeches the blood in fees out of sellers with great stuff.

lisaf39
3/20/14

My favorite site.... the best. I am a buyer and have had nothing but the best... so far, only been on the coach sites... I am an avid buyer of coach, and got great deals on this sight... just recently purchased from others, items have not came in yet... so, due time will tell... otherwise.... I have had sellers send me unbelievable thank you items that I would have paid more for than the coach I had bought....

katen4
3/9/14

I have sold on Ebay for 20 years and TopHatter for 3 Months. I am Handicap. So it keeps me a little busy. Well Tophatter people are so rude and money grubbing.. I would never sell there again. It was horrible.. So rude...I could go on and on But Everyone has said it all. They are Not nice people. They do not care about anyone.
BEWARE...Buyer and seller...

krism26
2/26/14

So I can't speak from a sellers point, but as a buyer I'm happy. I've gotten a necklace for $2 and an iPod shuffle for $20 from Tophatter sellers, and both are exactly as described. The problem with Tophatter (as with ANY site like it) you're going to have some fake items. Swarovski crystals? Highly unlikely on there, but you see people selling things with that description. However, I've seen the same type of false descriptions on Ebay as well. With any site, you just have to be smart about it. Do your research as well; I did see a ring go for $45 one time, and found it on Amazon for $5. Just be smart and this site can be awesome.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Tophatter staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: As a buyer things are alright. Could you possibly tell me how it is as a seller? Are more items UNSOLD rather then SOLD? I ask this because quite often the items I attempt to sell are overlooked or not bid upon. :/
2/29/12
papap
A: Depends on what you are selling. Yes, a lot of items go unsold in the jewelry and accessories categories.....as well as others.

Coach and Michael Kors and other designer brands, not much goes unsold, because here's the catch - - you pay fees on the starting bid. TH wants everything to start at $1. So you get punished if you start higher as to not get screwed by a low purchase price.

Say you buy a designer bag for $120. If you start that bag at $100, you're already paying over $10 in fees. **IF** you can manage to sell it for a profit, there are still the commission and bank fees.

If you start it at $1, you're barely paying any listing fees but it might only sell for $80 (or less!). So, less fees, but you lost your ass on the item.

It's messed up.

Most sellers have put in their time to see if they can make a profit or to see if TH will change, but they all seem to end up leaving.

I'm convinced the only ones who stay to sell there are the counterfeit or crappy quality sellers who are buying items for next to nothing, because that seems to be the only way to make a profit there these days.

I would go the ebay route if you're looking to sell.
12/21/14
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Tophatter staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?