US Government's NSF

19%
Categories: Auction
Palo Alto, California, USA
help@tophatter.com

People interested in Tophatter are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

deborahb26

I have already saved hundreds of dollars and the sellers are totally reputable. (in 56 reviews)

juliaw16

If you do not have the knowledge to know an authentic item vs. (in 71 reviews)

melissal50

I have always received prompt replies from customer service. (in 17 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

mb106
8/2/15

no confirmation of private sellers except to those they over charge, seem like tophatter is selling thier own stuf disguise as private seller, all monies goes to them very nasty arrogant customer service rep with no one in charge ummmmm seem FISHY AGAIN, and their explanations are never logical in a business manner.........PLEASE I BEG OF YOU STAY AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FROM THIS SITE

brendam47
7/31/15

Honestly, I'm shocked to see mostly negative reviews for Tophatter :/ I have been a member there since 2013. I have bought SEVERAL items there. Mainly from the Designer and Luxury Cosmetics schedule. I have NEVER overpaid on an item, nor have I had a bad experience as a buyer.
As a new seller though..I am off to a rough start. I understand the selling process here, but I am a rusty ex-Ebay seller and my guesstimated shipping charges were wayyyy off or an item sold low and it cost me more to ship than sold for...lol. But!! That is not the sites fault, nor the buyers... it won't take long to get things sorted. But, as I see in most negative comments here..I would assume bad experiences are most likely due to seller error (not all..but in cases such as mine).
As a buyer..it is YOUR responsibility to pay attention to what you are bidding on. Depending on attendees, time of day and number of auctions going...winning bids can have a huge difference for the same item.
If you are a frequent Tophatter shopper...you will begin to take notice of which items are likely to be up for bid again. This is good, because sometimes the item will go ridiculously high, and if you are patient enough..you will catch the same item at a different time for next to nothing! I personally like the L'ior Gold and Dfi aging line...if you were to visit the actual L'ior Gold of Paris website..you will see these items retail for $200-$3000 :/
I have never paid any more than $35 for any product...but I will sit here and watch others bid all the way up to $80 for the exact product . Crazy!
Things I have picked up for $1.. I have seen go for $30 or so. If I can offer any advice..that would be the main tip..is to be patient. The bidding process (battle for the item), can be fun...but it is up to you to put yourself at a limit to ensure a satisfying purchase :))
I will agree though, there is alot of low-quality items auctioned there as well..but most generally, everything starts out at $1. If folks want to buy a $1 item for $12..well, what can you do? This again..is not Tophatters fault.
Overall, I am all around happy...=)

charlisiao
7/24/15

Some of theses items are really overpriced you do better going to the store then buying off this app.

mariaw29
7/22/15

Well I am a first time buyer and I was so happy with my order so far I received so far 5 rings and everything was perfect. Great products and good customer service isn't strange that with all the bad reviews that people still buy again and again form the auctions...will diff buy again...

rhondah13
7/18/15

I guess I'll will be the one to take the time to write a positive review. I have purchased (won bids) pn high end items like a couple Coach handbags and Michael Kores which I love and won at a great price. Didn't mind. the $6 shipping fee because of the price I paid for them. They are beautiful I love them!!! I just one a few bids on sterling silver jewelry but haven't gotten uet so I hope I don't have any issues like some of you. I did have a freeze on mu account where I couldn't bid for a few days due to me not wanting an item that I won that was almost a duplicate of another I won but seller was great about cancelling my order. It was Tophatter who drug their feet. But after 6 or so emails they fixed the problem. Overall this is a much better auction than most! As far as selling can't help out there!

janellem3
7/16/15

Now Rosie is blaming the postal service for her screw up! Don't buy from this seller at Tophatter.com. All she wants is positive feedback and doesn't give a hoot about the buyer. She can't get an order correct for love nor money and you will never get your money back! But, she's great on excuses and blaming her mistakes on the buyer! Run away! Janelle

andreap37
7/15/15

I purchased several jewelry items from Jade New York. I loved all of the items,until they started breaking. The first item that broke about 30 days after I made my purchase. I wore the earrings about 4 times, the stud broke off while I was wearing them. The second item broke a few days later, I wore the ring more often. One of the stones came out. Then my third item broke, another ring, the stone came out. It looked like the stone had been super glued into the setting. I only wore this ring a few times.

I contact Jade New York, they said sorry it is past the 14 day period. So I contacted Top Hatter, they too said sorry it is past 40 days, noting they can do.

The items I purchased all looked great, fashionable....loved them. But if they break within a few months it defiantly is not woth buying since I am unable to wear them.

kittyp
7/8/15

Why can't I bid when I try too.

ericaj10
7/6/15

buying on tophatter has been okay. I have bid for items and always watch how much I spend. The items always seemed to be as they appear on the site. I'm happy with the purchases I have made so far. However, as a seller I am NOT happy. I agree to giving tophatter 10% Commission they take and the 50 cents for the post, but they are keeping a little bit more than that. For an item sold at $1, I should be receiving 40 cents but I am only getting 7 cents. I went through all of my sold items and noticed that a little bit of extra money was kept on top of the agreed amount they have listed... totaling over $15 extra dollars taken from me. I keep track of everything and where it is in the process of my selung it. I have 5 star review and my customers are happy with there items, but Top hatter is stealing from me with no explanation. there is no number to call top hatter and talk to someone so I submitted a issue ticket about them stealing. Its been 2 days and I have not heard anything from them. You would think they would care more about their sellers so they don't go out of business if all the sellers walk away... but it seems as though other sellers are not keeping as good a track of their money as I am. Once my last few items are delivered I will no longer be selling on tophatter. There is another site however that I find great which is called vinted. it is not an auction site, I list the items and what I want for them and that's it. The site does keep their commission but they show you how much you will be getting when you start pricing your items. This is what tophatter needs to be doing to show you what you should be getting. But taking extra money with no explanation is stealing! Very disappointed because the site has good potential to become something great. Every seller should beware... unless you don't care.

melissal50
7/2/15

I have been buying from Tophatter for 4 months. It's really sad to say but I have become addicted to it. I know that a website is not going to please everyone but I have been lucky so far with the exception of 1 incident. I had purchased a ring from a seller approximately 45 days ago. After seeing it marked "In Transit" for 20 days I sent the Seller a message informing him of the situation. All he could say is call the post office. I called my local post office where it supposedly had been sitting for 20 days. They put a tracer on the package and it has never been located. I notified the seller and he again repeats the same thing. I notified Tophatter about this situation. I have always received prompt replies from customer service. I chose not to file a complaint because I only paid $1 for the ring and $3 for shipping. I let the seller know that it has not been found and he didn't say much. I decided that I would not purchase from this seller again. I have had much better luck with 99% of the sellers. They have been helpful in answering my questions promptly and if I am looking for a particular item they attempt to locate it for me. The sellers have really impressed me and I don't have any complaints about the merchandise. A few of the rings that I have bought the stones were smaller than I thought they would be and I have learned how to judge the sizes much better. One thing that really helps me to judge the size of the ring is if there is a picture of the ring on a hand model. I suggested to customer service how this is really helpful to me and it seemed after that suggestion was made that more sellers did start doing this. The rings that I received that I thought the stone was a little smaller than I would have liked, I sold at a garage sale and did recoup most all of my money. The older I get the more bling I like so bring it on. A small stone on a ring on a big finger just looks silly to me. I always get a lot of compliments when I wear my rings. I stopped wearing my original wedding set because over the past 20 or so years I have had to replace numerous diamonds. This way I have numerous rings to wear, don''t get bored because I have a large selection to choose from and always get lots of compliments from friends and strangers alike. No one has ever been able to tell if they are real or not and that's the way I prefer it!

Tip for consumers: One thing I do look at before I order any merchandise is where it is being shipped from because it does usually take a lot longer if you purchase it overseas. Usually if you look around, you can find the same item from another seller in this county and it usually arrives a lot sooner!

fayew4
6/30/15

This was a wonderful place to bid on art and it was fun. Lately it isn't good. Most of the art that is offered has been auctioned off there before. The auction itself....nobody's bidding. A piece of art goes up for auction and is described, then it's not sold. The starting bid's are too high. Item after item is closed out with no bids. There use to be a crowd of over 300 and now the crowd is under 100. The person who is in charge of this auction doesn't seem to know the definition of "auction."
Auction: "A public sale at which things are sold to the people who offer to pay the most." It use to be a great place but I guess the owners got greedy.

bethd21
6/25/15

Do not buy on this site!!! It is a scam - the items look great when bidding & when you receive it - it's cheap & way over priced - they charge way too much for shipping too!!!
I BEG YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM TOPHATTER - ITS A SCAM!!!

fredd440
6/21/15

They don't earn it by running a business. their complete lack of morals and integrity allows them to justify this 'integrated shipping' system in which they flat out steal from the buyer. They claim the extra money is to cover the sellers shipping cost but the buyer never sees the money, it goes directly Into Tophatter's wallet and they lie about it. Bad people.

tirzac
6/21/15

They suspended my bidding without telling me. When I had a problem with bidding, I contacted them. Then they wanted a copy of my drivers license with a copy of the card. The items I purchased were less than 20 dollars...I think this is a scam...cancelling everthing and going to the bank tomorrow to cancel the purchases. Don't even get started with them...there isn't a phone number either

lw25
6/18/15

I have been using Tophatter for about a month and I'm ready to RUN!!!! I'm just waiting for a a couple more disbursments and I'm out of there. I have experienced some loss on this site and I believe the site is one sided towards the buyer. As a business owner, I understand the importance of great customer service even when things out of your control goes wrong. So I strive to provide quailty products and excellent customer service. On this site, it's been one thing after another, day after day. How do you receive a negative review for issuing a refund? I exprience an unfortunate event with a supplier's fraudulent action that required me to open a case with Paypal (long story... moving on) Anyway, I was uable to fulfill some orders due to these actions. I IMMEDIATELY sent out emails to all buyers effected. Half them did not responded; the other half, never responed. Rather than hold on to their money, I refunded all of their money. I received several negative reviews for "Refund Without Consent" What??? I signed up as a partner to have my own auction, they raised the fees to 20% + $1.50 per item. Just outrageous!!! I was selling nice, authentic products (Victoria Secret, Ralph Lauren, Becca Cosmetics, Smashbox, Calvin Klein, Bobbi Borwn) with the low bidding and the TH fees, I lost over $100. NEVER AGAIN. I could go on and on about the nightmare I've experienced with this site.... If you are thinking about selling here, STAY FAR AWAY! Oh did I mention, there is no way to call them. if you have an issue, you can only submit a support ticket. Talk about poo customer services... SMH

robbinm
6/9/15

This is the worst place in the world for hard working sellers to sell...they treat sellers like crap and are the most manipulative and greedy people I have ever seen...its utterly disgusting!
The Great Deal Diva, LLC

deliab6
6/2/15

There is NO Consistency, Transparency, and Support. The Auctions are NOT treated equally. There is backdoor deals going on and some Auctions are given Carte Blanche while others are LEFT IN THE LURCH WAITING FOR MONTHS to get relief, help, support, changes.

It is ridiculous that we pay SO MUCH in fees and then they STEAL the "handling" shipping overages for NOTHING. We pay for supplies: paper, tape, thank you cards, bags, free gifts but if we kept the 0.12 cents the Sellers were THIEVES.... They keep it and that is somehow LEGIT?

I do NOT understand why BANKRUPTING THE SELLERS is PART of the TOPHATTER BUSINESS PLAN... They can BANKRUPT themselves but they should NOT be allowed to manipulate the timing of the Auctions, placement of DIRECT COMPETING AUCTIONS WHICH CUT ATTENDANCE IN HALF. We CANNOT sell 200 items to 90 people. NOT POSSIBLE.

We PAY THEM yet we are treated like NAUGHTY EMPLOYEES... RIDICULOUS. I have NEVER wanted to be an ATTORNEY more in my LIFE. NEVER.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT SELL HERE UNLESS BANKRUPTCY IS YOUR GOAL....

teresal12
5/26/15

Here is what is happening now at Tophatter. Of course Katie continues to lie her @ss of in the forums. She has been caught out so MANY TIMES! If she ever speaks the Truth, then I will kiss her feet!

Currently, sellers are being told by TH that the buyer has filed a case against them for "non receipt" (even though it has been delivered). Some sellers have been able to speak to their buyer. The Buyer knows NOTHING about the "open case" against the Seller. Of course TH are demanding that the seller REFUND the Buyer!!! Where is that money going? The buyer did NOT file a "case", TH did of their own accord and blocked the seller from contacting the buyer!

OMG, this is such a SCAM! TH are GREEDY THIEVES!! Now that TH realize that sellers are contacting the Buyer to verify the "Open case" against the seller, TH have now removed the sellers ability to contact the Buyer!!

IT STINKS OF FRAUD and THEFT!!!

To make matters worse SUDDENLY, MANY sellers packages are showing as "undeliverable". Well as stated previously by another poster, TH keep ALL the postage. The seller NEVER sees a dime of it. TH keep the overflow and put it in their bank account! AND TH provide the seller with the buyers mailing address! Even AFTER it is delivered they keep a hold of the sellers money!

WHY IS NOT CA STATE ATTORNEY INVESTIGATING THIS SCAM GROUP?? Yes THREE prior business have FAILED. Not surprising.

Watch, TH will file BK yet again, and start up another sham Company and do it all over again. TH is an awful Company, they are scheming, conniving, GREEDY whoremongers! COMEON CA, GET OF YOU @SS AND DO SOMETHING!

josier2
5/22/15

I put this app on my phone for some reason. All the stuff looks like crap and is totally random. Anyway, I was toying with the idea of bidding on something until I read these reviews and my concerns were confirmed. Looks like a scam... must be a scam. Deleted this app from my phone immediately. Thanks all! Hopefully these thieves go out of business soon. You can't survive with bad on line reviews!

kristieb4
5/22/15

I have purchased several things from tophatter. Mainly rings and recently a new never opened bottle of boss. Everything was as it appeared and nice except sizes are a bit off. But i do recommand purchasing everything with a paypal account. Had an issue with shipping on a ring and paypal went to bat for me!! Issue was resolved very promptly!!!

sarahg67
5/21/15

Don't. Just DONT. I wish I read reviews before I made a purchase off of this terrible website. I won a Kate Spade purse that was promised real and authentic. This thing was made out of cheap shiny plastic oh my gosh I could have made something that looked better! Thank goodness I purchased through PAYPAL because I filed a dispute protesting my case. Within a week Paypal had me send the garbage back with a tracking number, and forced the seller to repay me!! Almost lost $200 and from reading other people's reviews I'll call myself lucky!

SELLERS Rashid and Peer2Peer sell fake fake fake purses! They shipped the next day, but what they sent was a joke.

marahz
5/15/15

Stay away from the seller CraveToShop. I bought an item from them, only to receive it completely destroyed. I took pictures and sent them to the guy. He told me I had 3 options. I chose to send it back with a tracking number and he would send me another one once he received mine. I had to pay for shipping once again and pay for it to be certified. I noticed he had received it but never let me know. I sent him a message after about 3 weeks asking if he got it and if he was going to send me another one. He responded yup, sending it out today and will send you a tracking number. I never got a tracking number and never received my package. I contacted Tophatter customer service to be told I had to do something else. I did what they told me and didn't have those options like open a case. Apparently you have 40 days to file a report and I didn't know that. They never told me. I emailed customer service back to see how I go about doing it and she waited after the 40th day to respond to tell me I'm sorry we cannot help you bc it's after the 40 days. Unfortunately you lost your money and the item. I couldn't believe customer service told me that and wouldn't help me. I still do this day never got my item I paid for and bought. CraveToShop stole my money, lied to me, and never shipped the item out. Never ever buy from this company! You will be sorry and be out of money!

lloydp8
5/13/15

After winning a bid on a helicopter APRIL 21 2015 for my nephew with plenty of time to get it here for his birthday, never happened. I Had to threaten top hatter after several attempts to get the seller to ship the item with no results. The seller said it was an over site they would ship it out 3-5 business days. That was over a week and half, tracking says that it is still not in transit.STAY AWAY FROM SOLO WIRELESS ACCESSORIES. Paid for item April 21 2015 as of today May 13th still have not received the item. Now I have to file a case who knows where this will lead. I have ordered other small items amazingly enough they were shipped promptly. Overall I will not use this site any more. One more piece of advice for those of you that have had good experiences good luck in the future get out while you can before you get burned. This many people having issues says more than a few disgruntled supposedly sellers. DONT THINK SO, WAKE UP PEOPLE. if you file a case you have forty days from date of purchase. Then you have to provide pictures within three days to the case management team which they never tell you how to get pictures uploaded to your case. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this I have three days to get it back to them, I would appreciate the help. THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY its about principles of good business ethics which a lot of businesses seem to miss these days. Everyone is out to make a buck even if it hurts people in the process. How Pathetic.

Tip for consumers: don't use this site

aliceinw
5/7/15

What a fraudulent company. Tophatter wants your money. This is what they did to one of my relatives today. He bought one item which was never mailed, bid on many, and tried to sell, but not allowed. He did visit forums a few times and I guess that blew it as he was honest and forthright. This was the note he just emailed me this morning that he received on his way to work:
Hi ...................
You are receiving this email because we have determined that you violated certain Tophatter policies. Therefore, your Tophatter account has been suspended at this time.
Even though your account is suspended, you will still be able to log into your account and complete any outstanding transactions. However, you will no longer be able to participate (buy or sell) in any live auctions on the Tophatter platform.
If you have any questions regarding the status of your account or would like further explanation as to why your account was suspended, please contact us for further details.

Sincerely,
Team Tophatter

What a farce of a company. I hope they straighten up their act or go out of business.

wardn5
5/7/15

I posted a previous negative review regarding Tophatter. There is nothing good to say about them but wanted to make it clear; there are some sellers that push their wares by way of this auction site that are very honest and have some great products. Some of them may even have their own website; most likely against the rules but if you find one you like ask for the website. UPDATE: 6/10/15. -My review mentioned above has been removed :/ This is unfortunate, it was based on actual experience and did not break ANY sitejabber posting rules. No problem; wait till my report gets in the right peoples hands. Truly what I have to share will have management at Tophatter running down the back alley with Dateline reporter and camera in hot pursuit!! Ha!

chelsieb
4/28/15

STAY AWAY FROM SELLER NAMED "Kandence" she sells hair extensions. I recived some my package and the hair was falling out so I contacted her and she did NOT want to give me a refund! So I contacted Tophatter customer service and they told her to give me my refund after I shipped it back to her. I did and for some reason my tracking # did not show up but I had it. I tried to reply it to the website and it would not let me! So I contacted Tophatter and let them know I DID have a tracking # and SHE DID receive the package! She STILL refuses to give me my money so, I am now having to go threw paypal to try and get it! STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUYER SHE IS A SCAMMER!

sylviaw9
4/24/15

I'll admit I've spent too much money shopping on this site. I've found some nice items, and have almost finished my 2015 Christmas shopping. However, I know I've spent too much on some of the items. It's many simultaneous online auctions that go on all day and into the night. The items are all very tempting, and the auctions start off innocently enough, usually with $1bids. However, each auction lasts onlu a few minutes, and escalates very quickly. The psychology is very basic: I must have this thing, I won't be outbid, etc, and before you know it, you've won the auction and the winning bid is more than the item is worth. The site operates on emotional competitivness and is probably making a bundle.

sherryl19
4/22/15

I bought a few items from them and had problems. One ring was sent the wrong size and the seller told me to send it back with 3.00, which I did, and she claims she never got it and stopped answering me. One watch I bought took 2 months to come in. I bought my daughter a bracelet and the envelope came empty. I filed a claim immediately and weeks later the seller wanted a photo of the envelope!! She refused a refund or exchange and their service people were basically sorry about your luck. There are tons of sellers and I look the stuff up they sell and a lot of it is way overpriced.

lisah119
4/20/15

Buyer beware. Any trouble with seller, and there are a lot, the site ALWAYS sides with seller. I have had a dress deliver into another city, site did NOTHING. Had a ring arrive demolished, site did NOTHING. Ordered a purse and wristlet and it arrived with a zippered plastic bag with a picture of the purse and wristlet, the site did NOTHING!!!!! Please don't spend any money here...please.

travisb30
3/31/15

I purchased several items from rings to purses to tablets ..all tablet were great recived timely, so i bought ring it was nothing like pic no reply from seller till i posted review..nothing done...then i bought some coach purses one new with tags wasnt ..no lluk no reply from tophatter ...then bought new purse got something total different again judt stuck no reply from tophatter just seller after i posted bad review still nothing...just uses ebay so u can get exactly what u want and what the picture show...and ebay backs there buyers ..

tammib1
3/30/15

I received a defective item from a seller and I contacted the seller and they said they would contact the company regarding the warranty. I didn't hear from them for almost 2 months. I contacted them again and they informed me that I need to contact the company for an exchange but I should use their name! This is fraud! I told them I couldn't do that and they refuse to talk to me now. I contacted tophatter several times regarding this matter and received no help from tophatter. They sent me an email saying "the matter is closed" and would offer me no help. Stay far away unless you want to purchase items that don't work and waste your money.

akishac
3/29/15

Tophatter sells knock off merchandise, I wouldn't trust anything bought on tophatter and they have people bidding in their own merchandise driving up the price.

lucindaw2
3/26/15

I've been on tophatter for almost a month now,and I'm nothing but pleased with everything that I have bought and the customer service. I haven't received anything that I didn't like or did anything show up looking different from when I bid on it.....

Tip for consumers: Just pay attention to your bidding, don't be impulsive, bid wisely.

anap23
3/25/15

They take the sellers money! They don't pay when you sell something! Stay away from this company PLSSSSSSS! I sold good brand like coach, Michael Cords. One lady called me from the company wanting me to have my own show their but said I would be charge $2 for every item I put their even if it get sold or not and then get 20% fee charge for items sold! Even though I am the one doing all the work and putting the time!!!!!!!!! The company uses people and all they do is cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

margiem4
3/24/15

"DR LOVE" was in on a bid I was trying to win,along others ( gold eye creme). They kept winning, so I was just watching cause I know the item was coming up again. They won ( of coarse) . I continue to watch and low and behold there they are again in the next bid. Wow!! So just to be sure I knew what was going on the item came up again..and again, yep! They were in the bid again same item. They bid and I deliberately bid so he can see my name appear. I emailed tophatter and reported. I then went into that auction and they were gone. Stay very far from this horrible site!

jessicap47
3/24/15

Stay away from this auction site!!! As a seller, their fees are very high, customer service is bad, you have very little choices on were to sell your items and they charge way too much for shipping!!! All of that extra shipping money does not go to the seller but the company!!! They charge 50 cents to $1 to put your item in the auction and if it doesn't sell too bad. If the buyer has a credit, they just pass the credit onto the seller. Plus they charge 10-20% of the final selling price. Their system does not work. You don't get paid till the item gets to the buyer but even though my tracking says the item arrived, I still have not been paid!!! This is possibly the worst experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cathym36
3/19/15

I made a great purchase, paid and the seller says she didn't get the payment. Now I'll at best lose the deal and at worst lose the deal and my money and tophatter won't even contact me about it. They know they got paid so what's the problem. The two best deals I made the sellers found a excuse to cancel and tophatter couldn't care less. Very dissappointing.

mariet31
3/16/15

The auctions are All rigged, all same products. There is No new buyers!! Noone can sign up to buy....Its just a smoke screen!! Tophatter customer service is poor and doesn't give any information other than a cheap blow off. Most of the items are drop shipped and if you are looking for an jonest auction, this is far from honest! I know a couple sellers and they scam behind the scene. They have friends overbid for them, what you get with Tophatter is a smoke screen scam!!

kathyc42
3/15/15

Ok you all Wright negative reviews but I have found perfume that's $100 a bottle for 30 and $50 when you're on a budget that's a big saving so it's an A+ life for me I had a couple of problems with my credit card and they fixed it right away everybody has been excellent and I really like the place and I recommend it. Kathy C
P.S. fair warning it's very addictive but really Fun

brendab27
3/8/15

This is one of the worse sites I have ever been involved with. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO. IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THIS APP: DELETE IT!!!!!!
If I could give it no stars I would.

Tip for consumers: DON'T DO IT!!!!!

kristinat2
3/8/15

This site is great if you are buying but eventually there will be nobody to buy from. If you are a seller, tophatter will take advantage of you.

First of all, the fee setup is out of control. They fail to tell you that they add shipping to the fee since you have the option to 'print the shipping label for free'. This means that if you ship for less than that fee, they keep the rest and if the shipping doesn't cover it, you are SOL. If you are a dropshipper, you may run into a couple of problems with this such as
1. you may not be able to upload a shipping label
2. you may be charged to upload the shipping label
3. your base shipping might be less than the 3$ minimum they charge or
4. your shipping may be free. If 3 or 4 is your case, list as free shipping because you will be eating the cost either way via your own pocket or your profit. At least free shipping may encourage an extra bid or 2.

They also work on a gradual fee percentage scale which you will not know unless you dig through months of forums since it is not listed up front when you schedule an auction. They may charge 9% up to 20$ and then 10% after 20. To any normal company this means if you sell something for 21$ they will charge you 1.81 (9% of 20) and then .10 (10% of the 1$ that exceeds 20). Nope, not Tophatter. What Tophatter doesn't tell you is that they will charge you 9% of 21 and then 10% of 21 and they will write it off that way because I guess it looks better than saying 'we are charging you 19% because you made an extra dollar.' Let me break this down for those who are not math savvy.
If I sell something for 20$ my fee will be $1.81
if I sell something for 21$ my fee will be $3.99
Big difference, right? I literally made less than I would if it had sold for 20.

Now let's say you are ok with all of this and list something. This will be the most fun of your life. Your first listing will go up and be auctioned off within 10 minutes. Get yourself a a comfortable chair and a couple of movies waiting on the next one. Tophatter's policy will only allow you the post 1 time a day up to 5 items until you get 20% positive feedback. Tophatter also works on a priority system based on seller ratings. So until you get your 5 items and feedback, not only can you list ONCE a day for only 5 days, but everyone that already has their feedback will be pushed in front of you in the auction. I would understand a 'skipping the line' privilege once or twice a day, but every time? My item was listed at 10am (literally, I just checked my text confirmation) and didn't get auctioned until 8pm when it was about to close for the day. I would go from the top of the list back down to the bottom without fail over and over again because someone wanted to re-list the same ring over and over every time it sold.

When I finally did sell mine it was all within the first week. I am quick with same day shipping. Shipping takes 5-7 days (unless you have issues with weather, holidays, and life) in which case in reality you usually assume 10 days. I have been sitting back for 3 weeks now waiting on someone to give me feedback because I am blocked until I get some. Every one of my items have been shipped and delivered. I have messaged requesting feedback. I have contacted customer support (who was so gracious to send me 4 emails to answer a survey on their response but have yet to give me a response). I have even sent a free gift out for being 'great customers' trying to get feedback.

My week on tophatter brought in a grand total of $103 in sales. After fees, cost, shipping, I have made a profit of (drum roll) 25$. It seems great and exciting and it does give a rush watching your items auction off, but despite how alluring it looks, the reviews are true.
I have gone back to ebay and etsy and am back to making 400+ a week.

Tip for consumers: LMAO

patrician17
3/7/15

We will be kicking off the Fabulous Fashionable Jewelry Finds Auction on March 8TH (Tommorrow) at 6PM, CST. Tophatter is a very legitimate site with buyer's who fail to ask questions or read descriptions of items before bidding. My PA is tommorrow, come and visit us and see how it's done.

We are located here: http://tophatter.com/auctions/57938-fabulous-fashionable-jewelry-finds

Tip for consumers: Please read or ask questions before bidding!

rebeccaa21
2/24/15

Tophatters catters to sellers an fee there sellers out og profit. Buyers can leave a negative feedback an your unable to defend your good name or business without getting suspended from the site. I payed $20 in fees today an made $2. Beware buyers an selllers. Most of the jewelry is cheap metal and tophatter knows it. The top sellers are actual employees of tophatters. The ceo is known for opening sites an making millions and taking off with the money. BE VERY AWARE OF THIS DISHONEST SITE

ivelissei
2/24/15

I purchased several items believing the guarantee Top hatter offers you, but I regret it... everything is fake!

rhondal9
2/21/15

Beware.... Total rip off, they do not stand by their products. The items are from China they break the same day you get them. The outside vendors are selling defeated items! I bought a LV bag $135 plus $10 shipping..never used it until last week I pulled out my phone it was covered in a tan sticky goop you can get off, all my items in that bag are painted with tan sticky goop all ruined.. I looked inside the bag and the lining is shredded the bag is melting!! Sent the girl a text, she said oh now your telling me? Sorry after 5 weeks? Your problem. So I contacted tophatter will see what they say...if they don't stand by the cousumer I will proceed in other ways. I also bought 3D mascara came to me empty, she sent another one... Empty...!!!! WTF bought perfume saw it on line for $10 at Walmart immediately cancelled my order they said it was shipped? Come on it was 10 minutes later! I see what's going on they are getting these perfumes at Walmart and making money...SCAM

joyceh15
2/15/15

this is the worst site people who think those purses are real crazy get the serial number and call coach those purses are not real the LA & elf makeup only cost $1 at most local stores they say it's retails for $40 and people bid all the way up to $40 the apple products are discontinued are refurbished and they do not have the manufacturer warranty and people are paying over what they cost in the store.but if you have money to throw away.

robertj64
2/14/15

This site is not for anyone that once top-quality are good quality merchandise mosses stuff is very cheap if it is benefits refurbish make sure you find out when it was refurbished with the age of ideas I had bought an iMac and after the fact found out that it was from 2006 I tried several times to contact the seller to find out exactly what was involved in it never return my emails or my tax company doesn't back doesn't stand behind the consumer they will stand behind their vendors I had opened three different cases and was refused on two so far the iMac did not come where malls in Kawai keyboard didn't come with a manual income what anything at all I could got the same thing for $10 more on eBay and got the complete works another item that I purchase was for iPads only I got an iPod would not work, he basically said SOL and never text back so besides the vendors being very cheap on the merchandise that they get and the top header not back in their buyers but back in the vendor's first I will not order from their company again before you order anything from them please do your research because you will not find everything out from the vendors or from top header as you can see I'm not real happy with the company announced it good eBay or some the penny sites and go from there

Tip for consumers: The tip I have for others it might use this site if you see something do a lot of research on it they repeat many items over and over and over most of the time the shipping is overrated to again do your research before you buy you planned out that you're buying some very cheaply made

kathyh33
2/14/15

Not happy, Ralph Lauren Safari top was broken, my granddaughter necklace clasp came off

leahm14
2/14/15

Too bad you can't rate any less than one star! This site is absolutely terrible! Avoid it at all costs! I have not personally sold anything, but I have bought. Some of the sellers are okay, but if you visit their websites, and even on amazon, it is a lot cheaper. They try and jack up the prices and sell to you on this 'auction site'.
I bought a jacket. $70 of my hard earned money. Not only did the jacket not come, but I also got no message responses from the seller. I sent multiple requests for my money and messages to Tophatter, but got no response. I guess they just don't care and only want their money.
RUN!

karenh62
2/3/15

This is for any seller who may be toying with the idea of starting to sell merchandise on the Tophatter platform: RUN. FOR. YOUR. LIFE.

The owners of Tophatter are only out for themselves. They are upset to see that their perceived billion dollar idea only turned out to be worth millions, therefore they spend their days scheming on new policies and modifying procedures to siphon an additional dollar here and there from every seller's rapidly diminishing profit margins.

They treat their sellers more like a tiresome burden than a customer of their service. Any seller concerns voiced to staff are either brushed aside with a corresponding generic e-mail template or, more than likely, just flat out ignored all together.

Meanwhile their flawed feedback system leaves you highly vulnerable to customer extortion, and your selling privileges can be snatched away at any moment grinding your business to a complete halt.

All changes in policy or procedure are only geared toward increasing their profit at the cost of the seller, and while these new changes are typically disguised as "optional" during presentation, you will quickly discover your selling abilities to be negatively affected until you agree to get on board with their wishes. This is a recurring theme -- they use passive-aggressive tactics to forcefully carry out their will against the demands or wishes of their dedicated sellers. In spite of them.

Fees increase steadily as attendance levels are on the decline, which in and of itself is an insight into the overall health of the site. If you are crazy enough to get involved selling here in light of these facts, I wish you the best. Save yourself the anxiety and depression today and stay away!

Tip for consumers: Buyers can find some great deals because the declining attendance levels means less bidders. Most sellers are losing more than they earn so now is a great time to buy.

Sellers -- stay away. You do not want this kind of stress, anger and resentment to cause a deep riff of depression in your life.

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Tophatter staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: As a buyer things are alright. Could you possibly tell me how it is as a seller? Are more items UNSOLD rather then SOLD? I ask this because quite often the items I attempt to sell are overlooked or not bid upon. :/
2/29/12
Answer
papap
A: Depends on what you are selling. Yes, a lot of items go unsold in the jewelry and accessories categories.....as well as others.

Coach and Michael Kors and other designer brands, not much goes unsold, because here's the catch - - you pay fees on the starting bid. TH wants everything to start at $1. So you get punished if you start higher as to not get screwed by a low purchase price.

Say you buy a designer bag for $120. If you start that bag at $100, you're already paying over $10 in fees. **IF** you can manage to sell it for a profit, there are still the commission and bank fees.

If you start it at $1, you're barely paying any listing fees but it might only sell for $80 (or less!). So, less fees, but you lost your ass on the item.

It's messed up.

Most sellers have put in their time to see if they can make a profit or to see if TH will change, but they all seem to end up leaving.

I'm convinced the only ones who stay to sell there are the counterfeit or crappy quality sellers who are buying items for next to nothing, because that seems to be the only way to make a profit there these days.

I would go the ebay route if you're looking to sell.
12/21/14
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Are the cosmetic & beauty items new or is used accepted as well
4/12/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Tophatter staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Tophatter?