US Government's NSF

12 Reviews for Orbitz.com

▼ Sort by: recent

7/9/14

Orbitz - The Perfect Bait and Switch

I know that who ever is reading this is either trying to research whether to book through Orbitz or they already have been scammed. If you have been scammed, read this so that you don't feel alone. If you are researching, you are fortunate, as you still have a chance to not get robbed. Here is my story:

I purchased through Orbitz 4 airline tickets from LAX to the east coast (and back). I did so one month prior to the flights. During the reservations portion of the online application, I was shown the available seating and selected seats for the whole trip. However, two days prior to the departure, I tried to confirm the flights and seating and was shocked to learn that my seats weren't reserved. When I called Orbitz, they forced me to pay an additional $400 to "upgrade to available seating". This is a bait and switch to the T.

Since I was already committed to hotels to the tune of over $3000, I had no choice but to pay the extortion amount of $400.

7/2/14

I have used this site to buy plane tickets. Never had an issue and I can now earn some type of rewards for booking through them.

2/19/14

make sure you review your itinerary before AND after!!!
Advertised fares for flights with stopovers were $685 - the stopover happened to be appx 3.5hrs, so I opted for the $785 fare with a 2 hour layover as I had flown this leg before & chose not to put my daughter travelling alone on such an arduous journey. SOMEHOW - we were given the 3.5hr layover at the the higher price. Orbitz refused to stand behind the advertised prices and explicitly said there was NO GLITCH in the system... well, the glitch is there - and I am being charged for flights I am now being told never existed - so why would I spend the extra $100??? This was my 2nd and LAST negative experience with Orbitz. There are plenty of other travel sites and apps or engines that can do a much better job...

2/19/14

I was just booking a flight from Portland to Manila. Two months out so it is not a flight leaving soon. I selected that cheap flight and had entered my credit card and personal info but when it went to charge my card, it said the flight was no longer available. Really!!!!! I think the site posts flights that are not available so they can get your information. Be carefull.

1/7/14

The site is easy to use but the hotel booking was not that great. Cheaper prices can be found elsewhere. However the air fare is very good

9/6/13

Don't use orbitz. We made a mistake and now regret it. It is very hard to get money back even if you didn't get the service you were promised. If you need to cancel or change something be prepared to pay orbitz service fees not related to flight or hotel related change fees. It is much better to book directly.

5/31/13

We purchased flight tickets through Orbitz for our Christmas family visits three months ahead of time. Shortly after the reservation was made, the airlines changed the flight schedule to a day prior to our original flight schedule. Orbitz did not notify us of the change and we missed our flights.

Orbitz refused to replace our tickets to send us with another flights on the day of our scheduled flight. As much as we brought evidence that we did not receive notification, the customer service refused to believe us. We purchased four additional flight tickets with high price on the short notice to go on our trip, our young children were able to get together with their grand parents. We did go through a lot of trouble to make this trip happen.

Since then our numerous calls to Orbitz was answered with lies that someone from legal department will be in touch with us shortly. No one from Orbitz has contacted thus far. I sued Orbitz in a small claims court. Orbitz shamelessly ignored the court; even more four months after the court ruling and the judgments against Orbitz, the judgement hasn't been paid.

It is quite frustrating to see how customer service at Orbitz having the training to lie to the customers with polite, calm voices, who are from somewhere outside the united States. It is also sad that the laws do not go far enough to help average citizens like me to help to collect the damage from large corporate.

Apprentice Reviewer
8/13/11

This site is my last resort when I can't find a good price when booking a hotel. usually I think their prices are okay. I had overpaid a hotel that I booked on Orbitz.. thinking I got a really good deal which I did not.

Apprentice Reviewer
6/23/11

This is the best darn air fare page ever! It allows you to search for airfare with flexibility around your dates. Been using this page for years now and it still comes back cheeper than all the other sites.

In case the review only links to the main page be sure to go to the "Flexible Dates" link which is in tiny blue lettering in the blue box at the top left or try this link:

EXPERT
8/31/10

I have used orbitz.com for flight look up and booking two times this year comparing to other similar sites and found out that for my flight destinations it worked out very well to me considering, price, travel start and end time, travel time length, number of transfers (if any), length of layover, so I do not always look for the cheapest, but usually I get very close to the lowest prices out there, considering all other parameters I am interested as well..

I do not have any experience for other than flight arrangements with orbitz.com

3/4/10

They charge $500 more for a travel package and refuse to price match. I called within 24 hours and they wouldn't do anything about it.
Another website has the SAME deal for $500 less... they are rip offs!

7/1/09

They do not tell you that you will be charged a commission for booking through their service. I was charged 24.95 per room above the hotels normal rate. This is an outrage! I am trying to get them to remove the charge and I am going to put it into dispute on my credit card. I just wanted everyone to know that you can look at the hotels on their website and get alot if information from them, then look the hotel up directly and make your reservation without orbitz. I will never use them again!

The Best Plane Tickets Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber