US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

janen16

Very poor Management communication and their customer service was nil. (in 43 reviews)

cassandraw3

First "Reviews" which I am personally against as a home owner. (in 15 reviews)

denisep26

I had a guest that trashed my Games room which is part of the house with AC ect. (in 51 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

igorg13
2/8/16

Had a bad experience with HomeAway as a property owner. The group of young people destroyed a plumbing system , I spent twice more money then I had in security deposit and they didn't even gave me details of travelers to go to court unless I hire a lawyer. So I can not represent myself. Moreover the travelers left 3 bad reviews even though it was the same group.
I would not recommend HomeAway to property owners

brentg20
2/8/16

Add my name to the list of people jobbed by HomeAway. HomeAway charges your credit card and then says "too bad" if you have any issues with the owner. In our case we had to cancel and the owner kept our security deposit, cleaning fee, parking fee and beach access fee in addition to the rental fee! Basically the owner made well over twice as much from us cancelling than if we had used the place. AirBNB is miles ahead in everyway if you are a renter.

melissal68
2/4/16

We recently booked a reservation through VRBO for a ski vacation in Snowshoe, WV the week between Christmas and New Year's (VRBO#273113). Due to the extremely mild weather, the resort was closed due to lack of snow. As in no skiing. At all. We contacted the owner to try to move our reservation to different dates (when there would hopefully be snow) or request a partial refund in consideration of the extenuating circumstances. The owner ignored our messages. We contacted VRBO for assistance. They encouraged us to file a complaint. All VRBO did was forward our complaint to the owner, who responded with basically "too bad". VRBO's response was "that's all we can do." We then attempted to post a review on the VRBO listing for the unit to warn future travelers of our bad experience with this unreasonable owner. We were told that VRBO's review requirements don't allow reviews on the booking experience, only on the property. So, if I had wasted even more money to drive 18 hours round trip to go on a ski vacation with no skiing, I could have posted a review that I thought the couch was ugly. But apparently if I lose my entire rental amount due to an unreasonable owner during a once in 10-15 years freak weather phenomenon, then I can't post a review. BTW – Snowshow Resort provided full refunds to all people that booked properties they manage. I will never use VRBO again.

donnar87
2/4/16

Carefully read all reviews before booking through this site. My experience was similar - our $500 deposit has not been returned. And the facility was not as shown on this site.

richardd103
2/4/16

I lost thousands of dollars from Home Away! Stay away! Awful customer service. I rented out my home to someone on Home Away and the person destroyed my home, broke every piece of furniture, and stole every valuable electronic. Then, the next day, I found out that Home Away failed to even take payment for the rental, failed to notify me that they didn't take payment, nor the required security depost. Also, they didn't save the credit card for the guy, they didn't have any information on how to trace him, and basically said, "Go to Hell" when I asked on what to approach. I'm taking them to small claims court and I filed a police report says they are aiding in grand larceny. Worst experience ever.

dianas66
1/31/16

We stayed at 203 Fairweather, Villa B, at Ft Meyers Beach, rented via Distinctive Rentals; this was a perfect location near the beach and a short walk to Times Square; the rental was clean, well furnished, and very comfy for us! Plan to rent this villa again!
Bob and Diana, WI

sophiak14
1/29/16

I am a holiday home owner. I see that most of you are having problems with the houses you rent. I am an honest property manager. My advice to you all is to give the homeowner a call before booking anything, ask him about anything that concerns you and you 'll get an idea it by the way he responses.
I won't bore you with much details. I wouldn't renew my subscription, they made me an amazing offer, I paid via bank transfer and then magically the first offer disappeared from their system and they send me another one. Although I forwarded the first offer to them, after begging them for two weeks they had me PAY AGAIN for something that I had already paid. NEVER AGAIN SNAKES WITH CRAPPY COSTUMER SERVISE TO SAY AT LEAST

jilla16
1/28/16

Try picturing a lovely apartment above a delightful bakery/deli in downtown Kinsale, a quaint and pub friendly community that's safe, welcoming and loaded with charm. Now picture the apartment being close proximity to everything in the little city of Kinsale that you will like to walk to, including live entertainment, 7 nights a week. Homeaway afforded us this little gem of a fully equipped, lovely and yet cozy, three bedroom, 2 and half bathroom, hardwood floors and tastefully furnished homeaway getaway that we loved! Wonderful restaurants, bookstores and cafes, galore! Much to do and see! We spent a month there! If you want to become a visitor who feels like a welcome resident during your stay in Kinsale, find the apartment above THE PANTRY in downtown Kinsale, owned by a personable, helpful and delightful lady named Margie. I recommend it to all!

melodys12
1/28/16

Had a bad experience with the condition of the house and the owners unjustifiably keeping our deposit. But, when I read the guidelines for writing a review at HomeAway, I became too scared of a law suit to post a review. The guidelines do not allow for an honest review and give the owners the last word.

Tip for consumers: If you use this site, always use a credit card for the rental and deposit.

hollym31
1/27/16

Rented a Home on Homeaway (156936) for a week this past summer. The house was basic & clean. However, it only had one refrigerator (listed two) 100 steps to the so called beach(geese had taken over, would not let my kids play in that mud!) The management of the booking was very unprofessional and kept the security deposit claiming we broke several items and accused us of stealing! I would stay elsewhere!!!!

luanak
1/26/16

We rented an apartment in Brooklyn, NY, which was shabby and poorly maintained, and did not match the description of "elegant with modern appliances." The most glaring problems were a space heater in the bathroom with a frayed electric cord, constant loud noise from the entranceway and apartments above usually until 2-3 am, and our door being broken into by bursting the locks off the wood, possibly due to the lease renters not locking the doors to the street. The owner did not take any responsibility and Homeaway said their policy is to let renters settle disputes with the owner as they are only responsible for "bringing owners and travelers together." The owner of property #491176 is a former lawyer, with on-line information stating he was disbarred for embezzlement from clients. Beware of renting at 154 Washington Avenue!

tedj16
1/26/16

This home, at 4270A Poha Road on the North Side of Kauai, was perfect for the 8 of us. It has 4 bedrooms and 4 baths and 2 loft areas with twin beds, sits about 50 yards from a beautiful beach and has a fabulous large deck facing the beach. It is off the beaten path and quite private. We had a wonderful time with the kids and grand kids. The kitchen was great with everything you need and 2 large kitchen tables provide plenty of eating area. The owners were very accommodating to a few special requests we had. While this is a little older property, it has been well maintained and cared for. We plan on going back in the future.

thomasl80
1/25/16

I must say we were so excited for our trip to Big Bear until we ran into the nightmare of all nightmares. When we got to the house everything seemed okay, until we started to notice that there were mice droppings on the kitchen counter-tops. Okay, so we're in the wilderness there may be a mouse here and there, but no. We started to notice droppings everywhere, the kitchen counter-tops, the carpet, the furniture, the fireplace, the bathroom, upstairs, downstairs, it was everywhere!!! We immediately called the owner and then tried to find an alternative place to stay for the night, but it was too late in the night so we were forced to stay the one night. To make things worse, my 8-year old daughter goes to the bathroom and comes out shocked because there was a mouse in the bathroom with her!!! We were not able to sleep nor have any comfort for the rest of the night. My wife was busy using the vacuum cleaner all night trying to get rid of some of the droppings from the carpet just so there was some sense of sanitation in the house. I'm sure the health department needs to know about this and shut this place down before somebody gets sick for rodent's are the carriers of major diseases. The owner finally got back to us in the morning and denied that there was a problem. WE WILL DEFINITELY NEVER USE HOMEAWAY AGAIN for there are no standards that they uphold from their listings. TOTALLY DISGUSTING!!! When I called homeaway to file a complaint, I asked to speak with a supervisor and they told me that there were no supervisors available. After a good 15 minutes of bickering to get a supervisor, they said that they would get a supervisor to speak with me. I was on hold for over an hour and a half where I finally got fed up with waiting and hung up. I called the corporate office and left a message for their CEO, Brian Sharples. The next day I got a call from someone in customer service, and they told me that they do not deal with payments at all, and that it is all between the owner and the guest. It's funny that the credit card processing is contracted through homeaway, yet they claim to wash their hands completely when there are problems. I guess that's why they try and claim to wash their hands when it comes to paying TOT taxes as well. Homeaway obviously has no standards at all when it comes to allowing properties to be represented on their website. Are they a legitimate business, do they have emergency requirements, do they have sanitation requirements? All good questions that they have no answers for and take no responsibility for. When I told the customer service rep that the city of Big Bear required that each and every room have a smoke detector in it, and that this property had none, the response was, "well if we get enough complaints about one particular property we will remove it from our listing". That's a great way to assure that the guest gets a safe and satisfying experience. Just from reading some of the other reviews on yelp, it looks like a total class action suit waiting to happen for them in the near future...

I don't think CEO Brian Sharples would want to stay in a rodent infested property with his children and believe that it is okay to have guests experience the nightmare that we did. Homeaway has to take some responsibility.

jeffs139
1/20/16

We booked a villa for Presidents' Day Weekend on HomeAway.com in June, 2015. Last week, we learned inadvertently -- through a random spotting of a refund to our credit card -- that our fully-paid reservation was canceled without any notice or explanation and without any wrongdoing on our part. When we contacted HomeAway.com about this occurrence, which left us with thousands of dollars in booked airfare without a vacation destination, the customer representative told us that they would not help us in any whatsoever, other than to make a token offering to search for another rental. The representative went on to say that HomeAway.com bears no responsibility at all for this exchange because they are not a direct party to the booking arrangement and do not take money directly from renters. Although this may be technically accurate, this attitude shows a complete lack of concern for the customers that fuel the business. Even though HomeAway.com did not personally cancel our reservation, it seems like very poor business savvy to essentially tell us that HomeAway.com is not willing to do a single thing to improve a bad situation, even if it means some financial loss on their end in the form of a credit toward a future rental. Moreover, HomeAway did not even follow through on the one token offering they did make, which was to remove the property management company that canceled our reservation from the site. HomeAway did not care about us as a patron and they do not care about the future patrons who may be hurt by the same renter. We are posting this comment so that, at a minimum, other readers will know that HomeAway does not stand behind the representations made on their site by the people renting properties. to choose a different company in order to ensure that they will receive at least decent customer service should anything go wrong with their reservations. It is clear that customers cannot and should not feel confident booking their vacations through this site.

Tip for consumers: look elsewhere!

natec4
1/15/16

One of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

We rented a property on VRBO and were refused the property when we arrived and the owners KEPT the money!

Because Homeaway doesn't hold the money there is nothing we could do except file a dispute with our credit card.

On top of that, because when we asked the property owner for our money back, we said we would remove the review and consider our transaction void, Homeaway then removed and BLOCKED us from any future chance of reviewing claiming we were trying "black mail" or "extort" the property owner.

They have ZERO customer service and favor the property owners no matter what. I will NEVER rent with them again, tell EVERYONE I know to not rent with them. Only use Airbnb as they actually HOLD the money to protect their customers.

They give WAY too much power to the property owners and cannot even fathom how they have succeeded as a business.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

laurac135
1/14/16

If you book a place out of the US beware currency is different and exchange rates vary day to day, You may be charged more than expected on credit card. For refunds you may get back less than you paid.

vickim21
1/13/16

VRBO and HomeAway are the same company. We've rented thru them many times with good results until this past trip. It was a nightmare! The owner shown on the listing had sold the property, but agreed to allow the new owners to keep her listed as owner so they could keep her positive reviews. The condo was under major renovations with the balcony torn apart & covered in plastic. There were constructions workers outside our bedroom, six feet from our bed, sawing, hammering & drilling all day every day. We contacted the former owner (the only contact info we had) and were told there was nothing she could do. We left early & came home. When we couldn't get satisfaction from the former or new owner, we contacted VRBO & were told that they don't get involved in these matters. We finally filed a complaint with the BBB and the Texas Attorney Generals Office (deceptive advertising) and here is the exact quote from HomeAway/VRBO:

in line with our Terms and Conditions, it is the responsibility of the advertiser to ensure that the advertisement is accurate.
"...any part of an actual or potential transaction between a traveler and a member, including the quality, condition, safety or legality of the properties advertised, the truth or accuracy of the listings (including the content thereof or any review relating to any property), the ability of members to rent a vacation property or the ability of travelers to contract for properties are solely the responsibility of each user."

I would strongly recommend to anyone and everyone who has a problem with HomeAway and/or VRBO that they file a complaint with both the BBB & the Texas Attorney Generals office (HomeAway's home office is in Austin, TX) Maybe if they get enough complaints, they'll force this company to accept responsibility for it's listings.

vals16
1/10/16

ok ive just come back from a holiday booked through homeaway..now the add looked great, an facilities suited my type of holiday, but...
The apartment I got was completely different..I complained to the owner through numerous emails of annoyance, got moved to the correct apartment after 4 days..all the facilities advertised were missing, washing machine, satellite TV, oven, towels, fridge, sun beds on roof terrace...ironing board, I could go on...the holiday all in all was horrific..the owner..now I'm going to mention his name, as it is on the advert, if this gets taken off because, so be it..Alan Maddock..owns property 1895817 in la Santa Lanzarote
on homeaway, it is all fake..he even tried to tell me it wasn't his but his sisters who is dying of cancer...a lie, this was after I told him I was emitting a bad review..as who would write a bad review of a dying women's business? .it said on the site it was his.!!
anyway, homeaway should make sure owners do not lie in the add listing, I've complained to homeaway..have said they will post my review, and contact the owner with my complaints..also they will deal with his account...nothing!!.. Heard nothing from either
I have just noticed, a very nice review written by one of his friends...on his homeaway page!!.I looked at his Facebook page has her and him looking cosy on a profile picture..so now getting friends to put nice reviews up is another no no!
again, dishonesty I'm sure..so all in all I won't be booking through this company again, as you could get lured over to a country with a fake add, and god knows where all this could lead!!

shonug
1/8/16

An owner canceled three days before a major professional conference putting our company in a terrible situation. Homeaway was absolutely no help whatsoever. Entirely focused on owners with no protection for renters. Very disappointing.

bend84
1/8/16

We rented a house to stay in on HomeAway and the owner did not refund our $500 despite promising over 3 months they would. HomeAway has used the same tactics on us that the guy who rented us the house did. Delay after Delay after delay and still after 4 months we haven't received our deposit back. When i wrote a review on Homeaway about not getting our money back they refused to post it because they said it had nothing to do with the property.I have no doubt that this is a scam organization and make the bulk of the money scamming clients. Maybe the NJ attorney general needs to look into them. After coming to this site and seeing over 200 1 star reviews this has to be a crooked site.

staciec6
1/6/16

We had a property owner cancel our reservation 2 days (on Christmas) before we were supposed to check-in. We were stranded for 3 days AND the owner has not refunded our $270 deposit. The property owner will not respond and HOMEAWAY says the owner is the only one who can initiate a refund. This makes NO SENSE as HOMEAWAY is the one I have my credit card info to. THEY ARE the merchant - they should have perfect ability to initiate refunds. They are doing nothing to remedy the issue. I will NEVER use HOMEAWAY again.

helenh45
1/6/16

We reserved and made a deposit on #690186 in April 2015 for vacation in February 2016. Our reservation was revoked, with no reason given, 5 weeks prior to our rental. Our deposit was refunded but that did not alleviate the problem -- no vacation rental 5 weeks before our winter vacation!

mikeb232
1/5/16

They overcharge and bully owners and do not provide the service you pay for.
Look for the owners direct web site and call then directly. VRBO/HOMEAWAY and related companies are dishonest.

agnesc4
1/4/16

I wished I read this website before we booked vacation thru HomeAway. Just don't do it, find a better site that will stand behind you. We booked thru HomeAway for this Christmas week and ended up stranded on a Sunday evening in Angel Fire. We had to pay for another property thru the resort and can't get anyone neither the owner or HomeAway to get us our money back.

tomm1018
1/3/16

Rented a home which HomeAway site claimed was in one location (on their map), but the property was in a completely different location. HomeAway makes it super hard to figure out where the house is - since they won't reveal the address or let you talk to the owner after its booked. By then its too late!! Futhermore - they just don't care about helping renters or customers. Scum bags. A black eye on our city of Austin.

daniellec52
1/1/16

Over the Christmas period I rented a house through HomeAway in Melbourne. The house was basic but clean and adequate for our purposes. However, the management of the booking was very unprofessional.
After having paid for early and late check in full several months before the booking, i was advised by email with less than 24 hours notice that this would not be honoured because they had made a clerical error on their booking calendar. I had 10 guests travelling in from all over Australia who were very inconvenienced by this unprofessional service.
The money paid was refunded but the experience was very poor and i won't be using this company again, nor recommending it.

jeanc47
12/23/15

The home we rented was not what was advertised. The "yard" was not fenced. There were rats, the air didn't work well and we had to change all smoke detectors that were ringing. This was also done without a ladder, not easy! The BBQ also was not usable. The owner is keeping over $300us in deposits stating our dog peed all over the rug. Our dog is fully housebroken and was never left alone. She said the rug is soaking however she contacted us 4 days after we left. I encourage everyone to look elsewhere and take pictures and video as proof of what the home looks like when leaving.

skyb8
12/22/15

We booked a place for 3 weeks. Had to leave because of fleas after 2.
HomeAway censored my negative review of the property by saying it was a complaint not a review. I was asked to make a complaint. I did that and guess what- nothing happened.
The owners refunded some money but refused to give a breakdown of how it was calculated. HomeAway did...you guest it ...nothing...
They add Zero value.
They block negative reviews so you are unlikely to get the full picture...
You are better off finding somewhere privately.

davem140
12/19/15

I rented a house from HomeAway and it was just a disgusting mess. HomeAway would claim no responsibility and would not call the homeowner and help to resolve the issue. HomeAway would not get involved to have my money returned to me. Why then would I use this site. The homeowner has no reason to return my money if they're not getting any pressure from HomeAway. HomeAway doesn't seem to care what kind of properties they have on their website. YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

fionag11
12/15/15

Now Homeaway, Owners Direct, Flip key, and VRBO are all the same company and they are one of the main advertisers on Trip Advisor, they now dominate in all web searches. What renters who book through them need to realise (and they don't make that clear) is that they do not guarantee the quality of the accommodation or intervene if there is an issue, all they are doing is guaranteeing they will refund your money if the place doesn't exist. There are other ways of doing that... ask the owners, they should not be offended ! For doing this Homeaway etc. charge the renters and the owners of the property a hefty fee, they take up to 20% for doing nothing! The trouble is if as an owner you choose to go the old route and pay an annual fee to advertise on their sites, you are pushed to the bottom of the list ,not promoted and are wasting your money since all the do is give propriety to those they get a % fee for. Also be aware sometimes a different fee is charged depending if you ask for a quote rather than ask to book ..... make a booking request and you are likely to be charged more. The company refuses to explain to us as owners why! They are not in the slightest bit interested in the owners nor renters once they get their fee. Most people who own a rental property are honest, so if you see somewhere you think you would want to rent and if it is "Pay on line" then I would recommend googling the place, type of home etc.. to see if you can find the same property on an alternative site that doesn't charge the fee or even if you can find the owners own website - that way your holiday will be cheaper..

sama702
12/15/15

Guests paid with fake credit card, trashed my flat and all is homeaway faults.

Homeaway knew the payment card is fake and they asked me to do nothing, neither kick guests out of my flat till they have trashed it, as they assured i will have my money.

All they did is taking their commission and left me with nothing

Bastard.

My advice use Airbnb.

peterc111
12/10/15

Homeaway have taken over all their competition and think they can do whaever they want.
their only only objective is profit for Homeaway.
They have alienated all the owners who advertise with their controlling policies- They clearly have no idea what it is like to own a vacation home.
many owners are jumping ship and finding alternative ways of advertising their holiday homes without bullying, controlling Homeaway.
Owners hate them now (and I don't use the word lightly)

oo22
12/7/15

Never serve any problem, it is a joke to customer.

marier24
12/6/15

Horrible! First time using it and the lack of response of owners when requesting information is terrible. How exactly they are renting properties here if they don't even have the courtesy to email and less to update their calendars. How they pretend that you book the property without asking questions.

robertd165
12/4/15

I have a listing with Homeaway. I have emailed Homeway several times about my concerns. The only time I obtain a response is after I call them. The listings are arranged by a fee structure where the top ones are charged more. Also, when they want you to use their services Homeaway charges a fee. If the owner does not use their services they charge owners more for the annual fee. They make money either way. Homeaway seems to want to nickel and dime the owners on every little thing.
The good thing is potential renters who are willing to look through the whole list to find a quality rental. For renters, always contact the owners directly.

mattk42
11/30/15

I had a rental owner keep my deposit money for no reason at all. HomeAway didn't do anything about my complaint and denied my review when I tried to warn future tenants that the home owner will keep their deposit.

leanneb2
11/28/15

The booking process was easy and went without a hitch. However, when it came to refunding my security deposit, it took 5 weeks and innumerable emails back and forth between me, Homeaway and the "owner/manager". The onsite manager was present when we left and there were no problems. I don't know if it was Homeaway's fault but they seemed ineffectual in resolving it. Their responses consisted of "we have contacted the owner and told him to refund the money". The owner insisted that he had approved the refund. Is there a systemic problem with Homeaway's process? If they hold all security deposits for over 5 weeks, that's a nice little interest earner for them!

smch
11/20/15

I have rented on Homeaway as a tenant and have been VERY happy with the rental experience. Now I have just started listing a furnished apartment on Homeaway and have only just taken a booking from my first tenant. I hope I can still keep my rating 5 stars down the road both as tenant and landlord. I will certainly update my review if that changes because transparency is very important with the boom of this new temporary/furnished rental trend. Be warned, scammers will infiltrate!!
I am considering as a landlord using my own rental application to learn more about the tenant when I use Homeaway -- and I definitely do use a lease. I also am going to learn more about the landlords moving forward when I rent as a tenant -- ask lots of questions. I will look up on the local tax rolls to be sure that this person truly owns the property. With the new Airbnb trend I will need to be sure it is not an illegal sublease (which is becoming very commonplace). So even though -- so far -- I have had great experiences with Homeaway, I can see there is need moving forward to be a lot more cautious. The key is to do your own research, get your own verification from the other person -- get last names, ask for their website, ask if they have a Facebook and linkedin, ask for a driver's license picture (for goodness sake bouncers at a bar ask for that,certainly you don't need to be shy about that). And I mean both tenants and landlords should do this! Don't be shy! I don't want some bad actors to ruin my experience in renting vacation/temporary homes -- this is a much needed service for me that I enjoy and appreciate. Just be smart!

rayp29
11/20/15

I booked a reservation based on their cancellation policy but when attempting to cancel because of a change of plans the cancellation policy was not honored and a refund not issued. Homeaway did nothing despite their 100% refund policy but refer me to the owner.

deniset17
11/19/15

I've used HomeAway to rent homes in St.Simon, Wrightsville Beach, Savannah, and London. In all cases, the homes met my expectations and when I've had to contact the owners, they were readily accessible and responsive.

marionc21
11/15/15

I have rented through these agencies in the US and in Italy for many years.
I just began to notice that when I write a review, and then I see it on line, ANYTHING that I have said that is even slightly negative or even suggestive (ex. should have a can-opener and measuring cup in the kitchen) isn't in the published review.
NOT FAIR! NOT HONEST!

rickt30
11/11/15

VBRO/Home Away does not take a position nor do they assist in any way SHOULD any portion or element of your trip go wrong. They will allow your to file a complaints and send it to the owner but will not allow you to see the owners response. Clearly tainted and biased with no ethical rules for anyone to follow. Seems like the perfect business plan, making money, without the risk, taking a non-position makes them essentially a middle man, where eventually someone will get a raw deal, while they disclaim or disavow. You would be better off doing enough research to find your own situation, you use them, they will be of no assistance, they are nice, but it is easy to be nice when you have no vested interest in the outcome, no dog in the game. There complaint procedures lean toward the owner granting them complete autonomy in the resolution. Complete waste of time and money to use them as a third party source for vacation rentals. Never again!

juditha14
11/9/15

GET out from under HomeAway, VRBO, and FlipKey!!!
HomeEscape is the NEW GAME IN TOWN...NO FEES FOR OWNERS!!!

I am currently listed on HomeAway (8 years) VRBO and FlipKey.
The nagative:
1. I feel like I work for them! I'm tired of being rated
2. high fees,
3. Flipkey keeps the $$ until they check in!
4. renters have told me they were discouraged from dealing with me directly...but upon reading my reviews, decided to do so.

They get their $$ from advertising. Yeah...I don't mind paying...I just don't like feeling oppressed! I own the properties and I have all the work and liability. They make clean easy money off of me.

So far...so great is my experience with HomeEscape.com Encourage all to pass this along.

aprilg17
11/8/15

we had to wait each time to hear from the owner and sometimes they never even bothered to let us know that we couldn't rent from them. Either they want to rent or not, they shouldn't be on the site and say that our dates are available if they don't want to rent.

philw23
11/7/15

the following was advertised on Homeaway site by the property owner

“Oceanfront--Beach Locker-- $Nov 7 & on only $395/week$!-$$ Dec only $675/month”

The failed to meet their advertised rate, and then when insisting on the price wrote back the property was rented to a "Return" customer.

Failed to respond timely, the phone number has voice mail that is always fully, and the insisted you pay by personal, Check and not paypal as indicated on the advertised page (claiming in email that reasons being the charges are to much), or could be that Papal safeguards against bad faith acts as this. Seem peculiar you cannot pay through Homeaway. Then surprisingly the reviews of past customers have , (as she explains) mistakenly been taken down by Homeaway. Beware of this private owner at " Ocean Creek" Myrtle Beach on the site

deniseg33
11/6/15

I am in a staged house in fl , it's set up to sell not rent . It has no sheets on 2 of the beds , the master bed has sheets that do not fit and feel and smell dirty and the mattress is Grosse
The air didn't work when we arrived so had to stay in hotel 1st night , Internet wouldn't work with my wireless laptop, I had to call the owners internet company to try and fix, I ened up going to Walmart to buy a Ethernet line to hard wire it so I could get some of my work done, the owner sent out the internet people and he said the owner paid for the cheapest service offered and it didn't include wireless internet.
Then I saw $#*!roach s in the living room and had to sweep one outside. Than there were huge ants in the bathroom when I got up in the middle of the night. The house feels dirty.....
also someone came in the house while we were gone because there was a vacuum in the pantry , now was gone. I am out of here, I don't feel safe and it feel really dirty...I tried to find a number to reach homeway..no luck I should have looked up the reviews first
the old saying is true if it sounds to good to be true, it is.....trying to get back my 1400.00
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

Update from this slim ball owner. I received an email from the insurance company that I booked my deposit through on this property, stating that the owner tried to file a claim against me for $4800.00 for a new air condition unit . What a joke!! We only stayed there 1 night and the air was already broke, um that's why we couldn't stay there the first night and went to a hotel. I told the insurance company to deny the claim, I sent them all the emails and texts and yes they denied the claim.
The owner of this property is a millionaire, I wonder if this is how he got there. What a lowlife scumbag.
AS OF 1/26/16 This scumbag is still trying to fight my chargeback but I will win....I have God on my side.....

ericaz2
11/5/15

LGA Consulting LLC, Miami Blue Consulting LLC, Green Paradise: I have never experienced such a low level of guest service in hospitality or any other industry. Actually, I am not even sure there was any guest service at all. Before we even got to the property, we have been threatened by Yaelle Baviere, Area Manager at LGA consulting LLC. Apparently she was not responding our inquiries because she was sick. She even told us that she had 50 other appartments to deal with concentrating in correcting our English spelling instead of focusing on the information needed for our arrival. There was 3 days left to our arrival and we still didn't have the arrival information promised (5 days prior according to contract). There was nobody to take charge of our file while she was sick so instead of informing us politely and apologize, she preferred to treat us like anything else but clients. Nobody from the company was able to help us or take over our stay so we had to deal with an angry employee with the worst manners ever.

On site, we met another manager. Nothing was offered to us for the situation caused by Mrs. Baviere. Mr. Gregory Lefortier came to meet us as we had to change room the very next day of our arrival. It was not ideal as we had planned our trip, but not a plumbing issue on our original room. Only 50$ was discounted for that unfortunate situation. M. Lefortier even had the nerve to tell us that Mrs. Baviere was no longer working for the company when we complained. Surprise, she is the one that replied to us when we realize that we didn’t get our deposit 5 days after the departure. When we contacted them to inquire about the refund of the deposit, we were told it was done the next day we had left. Why not tell us, we are sorry we will do it right away. Instead, we discover it was never done and they actually did it on the spot which caused us to receive our deposit 7 days after our departure as oppose to 2 days as stated in the contract.

The first night was supposed to be in an upgraded room for the inconvenience of a water issue in our original apartment. The apartment strongly smelled like mold, the pillowcases were stained like they had bedbugs in the past and the bathroom fan that is connected to the light was making such an horrible noise, I had to shower in the dark. It was too painful for my ears.
The other nights took place in our original apartment where there were missing amenities and neglected cleanliness.

kens76
10/29/15

Rented an apartment in Ellicottville NY called Beauty View in Oct 2015. The place was a dive, and my friend and I could not bring ourselves to stay there even one night. Despite many photos depicting the poor conditions, HomeAway refused to help us in anyway with a refund.

konradg
10/27/15

this refers mainly to Homeaway in Germany and Austria where I have been advertising. While Homeaway has been endlessly sending emails to entice me to renew they have not been answering any of my questions sent via the web interface and when trying to send mail to 4 different email addresses which they use to send mail to ME all of these are declared "not active". This company's policy re relationship with advertisers stinks.

dianeb62
10/26/15

I stayed in a villa in Greece and it was not as described. The owner completely exaggerated about the destination and how close things were. I have been dealing with HomeAway for two months now to try and get a resolution to my complaint they are incompetent and unhelpful.

35 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

12 Photos for HomeAway