US Government's NSF

1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300
Austin, Texas, USA
Tel: +1.5126841100
csong@homeaway.com

People interested in HomeAway are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

janen16

Very poor Management communication and their customer service was nil. (in 37 reviews)

cassandraw3

First "Reviews" which I am personally against as a home owner. (in 11 reviews)

wandaz

It has never been published in spite of the fact that I've submitted it and written to customer support (????). (in 9 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jl90
7/29/15

Be very wary of the reviews of the vacation home you're interested in renting. I rented and have written a review that gave less than 5 stars because the noise level of the location of the rental house was quite high and never mentioned in any of the reviews. It was a disappointment. I submitted a review mentioning the house is located right near a busy small plane take-off and landing approach of a local airport and HomeAway refuses to publish the review saying it is not "substantially" significant. Would you rent a vacation home so you could hear planes take off and land throughout the house? I suspect HomeAway is only interested in publishing the 5 star reviews and nothing less. Makes me not want to rent from this outfit again.

jamesn59
7/26/15

This apartment was a wonderful location in Old Town Quebec City. While the apt wasn't very big and sparsely appointed it was quite comfortable and very convenient. We will definitely book this property again when in Quebec City!!!

paular18
7/24/15

I have been with HomeAway for many years with one property and added a second two years ago. They have always been brilliant. I rent out at least 30 weeks a year EACH property. I do take my own payments as I like to have a personal relationship with my guests. I have also used them many times for my own holidays. I can't praise them enough and recommend them most heartily.

igorc4
7/24/15

I just have been scamed of 10 000 euro trying to book vacation villa in Mallorka, Spain through this company. Do NOT trust this website homeaway.com

patriciab63
7/23/15

Homeaway's new algorithm program was written by an idiot to benefit Homeaway and VRBO only. Homeowners get rated on their performance and their exposure to potential renters is based on that performance rating. The glitch is that the program makes errors and then penalizes the homeowner. According to their customer support techs, there is nothing that can be done to individually correct that glitch. Here is my personal experience.
1. The number of views to my property differs substantially between this year and last year, almost 75% difference. I call homeaway to inquire about the discrepancy and an informed about their new algorithm system. It seems for three days during Memorial Day weekend, I did not receive text nor email informing me that I had an inquiry and therefore did not reply from the email I set up and have been using for the last 3 years. I am told "it's not their problem" and I should have logged in to my Homeaway account and therefore being penalized with a low rating. The low rating making my listing come up at the end of other listings who might have paid less but responded quicker to their inquiries.
2. I make sure to log in, update my calendar, respond immediately to inquiries and my rating increases.
3. I receive duplicate inquiries from the same person. One at 12:00 and the other at 12:01. I respond immediately to the inquiry and continue to have email conversations with that potential renter. I notice my score is low when I log in to Homeaway immediately call and am told I should have responded to the duplicate inquiry so the computer doesn't penalize me. He says there is nothing he can do about it.
I have spent hours on the phone and all I am told is "I understand your frustration but there is nothing that we can do to correct the situation". Unacceptable answer.

samz8
7/21/15

They have call me and wanted that I advertise. I have choose global bundle .
Their cost is 2320 euro or they offer to me 50% discount for the first year and it looks nice 1,160 euro.

But looking on their price structure, was not easy to find , I have found that normal price is 599 dolars euros or pounds, depends where you pay , and without any discount. not 2320 euros. real price is 599 euros . just type global bundle 599 and you will see.

The people who work for homeaway vrbo or any other sister site of homeaway , from God knows where , are for me criminals, and pure scamers .

They have take market for themselves an s they invest millions in google and you can do nothing not to pay them just as to google . you will never be listed if you do not pay to google or to those sites like homeaway, vrbo, tripadvisor and so on.

dann643
7/21/15

I rented a house from Home-away. The reservation was HA-81CV7D As soon as we checked in the house wasn't as described. She listed it as 3 bedrooms but the main level smelled like urine and the bedrooms had pipes that were leaking from the previous tenant. The septic system was messed up and whenever you flushed a toilet everything came out into the bedrooms and into the house. We were not able to stay in the house due to the smell of urine and feces. We had children in the house and this was very unsafe. We called the house owner she never even met us she was in Europe. We contacted Homeaway to make sure that a refund was made since they have a policy that the tenant has to check in and everything has to be fine in order for them not disburse the money to the owner. Homeaway basically said they will contact the owner. No one spoke to her since, she never responded. They said no managers are available and said someone would call me the next day. We left the house and couldn't stay there. The next day no one called me. Whenever you call someone outside the US picked up and said no manager was there. I got no refund, no response. They clearly state that if the house is not what it was suppose to be that they don't give the owner the money. After a month of fighting with them I finally send emails to the CEOs which I found on their management site. No one responds for days until finally a very rude assistant customer service exec calls me back and says the CEO of the company doesn't care and will not refund me but make a complaint about the owner and its between me and the owner. This is horrible service and negligence to me someone who paid over 10k for the rental. Where is my security? I purchased a security for 99 dollars to protect me. They told me yesterday they closed the case? The owner has not responded I have no refund. Instead she stole my jewelry that was left in the house the first day and doesn't respond. I have also contacted the Texas State Attorney General office, FTC, and consumer affairs. Seems like nothing is helping.

gloriab6
7/20/15

I am not yet in my rental, but we are finding several problems (Venice, Italy). The air condition is broken. Message sent by owner and now it says no wifi. False advertising. I am one of the persons that send messages on trip advisor, and I will make sure this is placed on the post so nobody else gets this false advertising. We had a fantastic experience I. The past in Paris, and Barcelona. So we thought this was going to be fine. Well, that owner will get bad marks for false advertising.

jennyg18
7/19/15

I was a bit nervous after reading all the dreadful reviews for Homeaway. I can say we had no issues with them at all. No complaints.The apartment - ground floor 59-596 A Kamehameha Highway Haleiwa - was roomy, clean, comfortable, well-appointed. The directions to find it and to get in were spot-on. It is actually located at Pupukea - a short walk across the road to the most beautiful beach, and walking distance along a shared bike path, to a Foodland and some great little eateries. This area looks very down at heel, and we were a bit alarmed at first. There is a house in front of this property, on the same block, with barking dogs and rubbish strewn everywhere. It is on a very busy road, and there are noisy neighbours. It was a relief when we got inside, but it is definitely only for inside living - no balcony or views. We discovered that the upstairs studio apartment had a balcony, so that might be a better choice if you want to enjoy the balmy evenings and the sunset.

peggyw7
7/19/15

"Chillin' on Pleasant Bay" was a fantastic base for our vacation. The house is immaculate, with everything --and, I mean, everything, we needed in it to cook and relax. The pool is shared with other house on the property; there were no others in the apartment next door so we had the pool to ourselves. The location of the house was steps away from Pleasant Bay, and a short drive to either the bay or the ocean. What could be better than that?
Peggy Walton

maryk86
7/19/15

We stayed at 173 White Tail Circle in Hawley PA. The listiing said it can sleep 14. That is false. It had 3 very small bedrooms, and 2 awful bathrooms which could maybe accommodate 6 people if that. The house was in an awful condition. We were forbidden to turn the air conditioning on in 90 degree weather. The doors and windows were falling apart. There were no mesh screen doors to keep the bugs out. The owner of this house should not be allowed to rent this property as advertised. We have had excellent experience with homeaway but this left such a bad taste that unless homeaway penalizes the owner for ruining my weekend, I will not be utilizing this site and definitely not recommend it to friends.

stephand6
7/17/15

They allocate 24 hours for the property owner to accept an offer. During that whole time, even if the property owner has accepted, they continue to show a "So and so has HH:MM:SS to accept your offer" on the Messages page, which to me is a statement that they have not yet accepted my offer. Yet apparently it was accepted and my card was charged (I used their supposedly secure payment system). I never received an email at the end of the 24 hours (and yes I checked my spam folder). This led me to think that the offer fell through and I booked elsewhere (directly w/ the owner). Then 8 hours later my credit card was charged. Great, now I'm double booked. Still no message and their support says it takes them 2-3 days to respond. The property owner didn't seem to understand the system either so I think the interface on that end must be just as bad.

Tip for consumers: I would steer clear of this service. Or if you must use it then expect to wait some days to make sure an offer was or wasn't accepted because they certainly aren't going to tell you.

gemmag4
7/17/15

We tried to book a vacation home through home away. When we didn't hear from the renter within 24 hours of booking we contacted HomeAway; that was 5 days ago and we have not heard from them. They seem to be very unprofessional and unresponsive. As a family that frequently rents vacation homes I have some experience with various services and this is by far my worst experience. There is nothing about this site that I can recommend.

barbaras77
7/15/15

We stayed at the Sunset Cottage #960150 on Paw Paw Lake, Watervliet, MI - It is a
very nice home with a beautiful view - In spite of cold weather our group of 9 were able to relax, play games and enjoy in very comfortable and spacious surroundings - Would highly recommend this home for an enjoyable vacation - BSmith

pbs1
7/15/15

I was seeking a two week rental while I waited for a household shipment to my apartment. I did find one that would work.. And they could not have been nicer while I validated dates with my moving company. They did press me every time to go ahead and pay, and there would be no issue changing dates. I didn't want the hassle of a refund, so I waited. As soon as I had firm dates, I emailed and had an invoice from them in 5 minutes. On the invoice from PayPal, I noticed a statement that I would receive a separate invoice for the security deposit about 72 hours after I secured the reservation. When I inquired how much that would be, and stated I couldn't possibly prepay without knowing ALL the terms, they became much less responsive. I stated I was ready to pay, just needed the amount of the security deposit. Then they said it had been booked. So draw your own conclusions, but I for one will never use them. Very shady in my opinion.

chriss282
7/15/15

I have booked 4 vacations on Home Away. Only once did the homeowner respond, book, take payment, send a rental agreement, and answer emails. All of the others said they were not responding to ANY of my emails because they were not GETTING my emails. I know that this cannot be true, because they were very quick in expecting a deposit, but it wasn't until AFTER they got this, that I would not hear back from them. 3 times I had to contact Home Away and tell them that I was not getting any emails or phone calls returned, even after the owners told me that upon receiving my deposit, I will get a rental agreement immediately from them. Yes, they contacted me after Home Away intervened by calling them. From what I gathered in my conversation with the reps on Home Away, they HAVE to call me back right away, or Home Away would take their listing off the site. Funny how quickly they respond after that! Funny how they also only respond when they need you to send a payment by PayPal. They get THAT email! Seems to me that it's a generic excuse with owners to simply say "what emails?" Also, when I inquired about renting other properties, and there have been at least 35, none of them got back to me. None. I couldn't know if the property was available since the owners did not list a calendar showing what days you can rent. You have to contact the owners on the site. What I find bizarre is that they show a response rate on the individual listings, to allow renters to see how often they do in fact, respond to inquirers. How is this possible when they DO NOT respond? Some say 99 percent!

randyd14
7/13/15

Tried homeaway was told my reservation was booked. When I call again was told I did not have the townhouse that I wanted so had to book else where. Today called the number on my statement and found out it was booked and lost my deposit

cindyr29
7/10/15

I have 2 complaints on the property I wanted to stay at on my vacation. the place stunk and we left complaint # 15000364 and 15130473 with homeaway. From reading these reviews, I guess I can count on not getting my money back. What a way to do business.
The property was #3941979 on 2600 paula drive, Dunedin florida. Dead bugs, broken cabinet, stinky, no tv, filthy placemats on the table. No reply from phone messages, texts and emails from the owner Diana Pergamo. RIPOFF

Tip for consumers: I may change my mind if I ever get a refund, but I will be very careful next time.

lynnb49
7/9/15

I see many reviews here blaming Homeaway for a bad experience. Vacation renters, please know that Homeaway/VRBO do not own any of the properties you see on their site. They are merely the marketers for property owners that pay to advertise on their site.

Homeaway/VRBO do not inspect properties, make sure the homeowners are competent or anything of that nature. They simply bill the property owners to place their properties for rent on their site.

billl58
7/9/15

We have just returned from a beautiful vacation in France. We had rented two large farmhouses at the Bed and Breakfast facility "Le Four a Sel" in the village of Aubas, just a few kilometers from Montignac. The houses were clean and well set up... swimming pool was well-kept... the owners of Le Four a Sel live on site and were helpful in suggesting local points of interest and restaurants. All in all- a very positive experience!

keishaw2
7/7/15

I booked a property in NY with Homeaway and made a full payment to Homeaway 2 months before I was due to move into the property. Having arrived in NY from London I was then not able to make contact with the property owner and did not move into the property but had to find alternative accommodation at short notice with airbnb.

I contacted Homeaway trust and security department ASAP to advise that I could not get a hold of the property owner, they also attempted to contact the host and was also unsuccessful. I was told that my payment had not been made to the host but was being held with Homeaway's sister company VRP (vacation rental property) however I still could not get a refund as Homeaway do not give refunds. 3 days later although I had not moved into the property and Homeaway were well aware that I had not moved in (they advised me to go to the police station and report my issue as a crime) they processed the payment and paid the property owner. Luckily for me 2-3 weeks later; after returning back home to London, after numerous calls and emails to Homeaway, after carrying out my own detective work, after finding the host on social media, after finding out where he worked and emailing his CEO (as he had ignored emails, voice messages etc) I finally had a response from the owner, who has given a hell of a story regarding why he didn't respond to calls or emails.

A month after returning home I am now still fighting to get a refund, Homeaway have done nothing to help, they did nothing to try and stop the payment being processed in the first place and any responses from them has now been that the contract was between myself and the property owner, they are only an advertising platform. Avoid booking rental properties with Homeaway, they do not carry out proper checks, had this been a fraudster Homeaway would have processed a payment to them.

AVOID, QUESTIONABLE BUSINESS ETHICS, BREEDING GROUND FOR FRAUDSTERS

lovishal
7/7/15

My family was considering using Homeaway for our Disney in December vacation but have definitely changed our minds due to the comments here and the horrible customer service received during an attempted booking. Thanks for your reviews!!

jonm53
7/5/15

My girlfriend and I stayed for 4 fantastic weeks here in Marin County. We were very fortunate to rent our little secret hideaway in San Rafael. The apartment is cozy and has all the creature comforts of home. The best part is the Hot Tub and Sauna in a private area just outside the apartment. There is also a nice Bar-B-Que in the shaded area where the hot tub and sauna is. The landlord was quite helpful with whatever we needed and he has much local knowledge for spots to visit and hike to. we hope to return again next year.

vincew17
7/3/15

DO NOT use this company for your reservation needs!! They offer NO security to your reservation. You make the reservation with them, but it must be "accepted or declined" by the property owner. The property owner has 24 hours to respond either way. If you travel to the area with expectations of your reservation, you might be disappointed to find that it's been declined, (as is with ours) EVEN AFTER YOUR MONEY IS PENDING PAYMENT!!
BUYER BEWARE!!! SCAM COMPANY!!!

Tip for consumers: BUYER BEWARE

roberts258
6/28/15

We have used vrbo.com for years, to rent vacation properties and never had a problem. They are now related to Homeaway.com. This year we booked a property through the VRBO website 6 months in advance. To do this, you must pay the entire amount for the rental upon booking, with a credit card. My credit card statement cites payment to "Homeaway". (This property's page promised complete refund if cancelled within 30 days of check-in.)

2 months later, noticed the website description was changed. A review had disappeared. When I pursued details,I was told the apartment I rented was on another floor; no reply to my request for them to specify which window(s) had the promised ocean view. (First description said "full ocean view" but changed.) When I told them if I did not get the information I was seeking I wanted to cancel, they sent me an email that the rental was cancelled. This was June 5. Still waiting for the refund. The management first told me that Homeaway would do the refund. Homeaway told me the management must do the refund. Homeaway followed up on my request to their 'help' site to ask me for the manager's address and phone number! They said they would forward my complaint to the manager and 'put a note in the file'.

This manager is still advertising on vrbo. (Although they show no bookings.)

Has Homeaway become a web site address for scammers to bilk customers?

janen16
6/26/15

Stayed in condo J102 from 06/19/15 to 06/25/15 with family of three adults, two teenagers and 14 month old baby. Good size condo with large main bedroom having it's own ensuite bathroom and bath and a walk in wardrobe. Downside - unfortunately there are 5 air conditioning compressors directly outside this room which come on and off all at different times throughout the night making it impossible to have a good night's sleep. Second bedroom has two single beds with another bathroom with a shower/toilet. Downside - the mattresses on the beds were thin and uncomfortable. Good size lounge and well equipped kitchen. Crockery and pans limited with many plates showing chips and wear. Be prepared to buy all products as there was only some dish washing liquid and one roll of kitchen paper and some alfoil. The lounge has direct access to a very small pool and two small spas. There is a cover over verandah with tables and chairs where you look onto the pool. There is an old sofa loung suite which opens to make a bed. This was neither comfortable to sit on and certainly not adequate for one adult to sleep on! Very poor Management communication and their customer service was nil. I say this as one evening we experienced lots of adults consuming alcohol (Beer) whilst sitting in the pool. The children didn't want to go in the pool as the noise was increasing as the night went on. Even at 11:30pm children were slashing and screaming in the pool. When I sent a polite message to Management of this unit I was told that it is permitted for people to drink beer and be in the pool until midnight. What they failed to check were two signs stating the pool closed at 10pm and security would enforce this rule. I never saw a security person the whole 6 days we stayed. We were told to wear resort wrist bands and yet we were the only guests wearing them. The good point is the condo is walking distance to The Schlitlerbahn water slide. Okay for a family holiday but not in anyway luxurious for the amount of money we paid.

amandab80
6/23/15

We really enjoyed 7900 Estero and everything that it offered. If we weren't at the beach we were in the pool. There were 3 families and this home had plenty of room for all of us and was very accommodating with 2 kitchens and 3 bathrooms. My parents stayed on the ground level and was very helpful then they had no stairs to maneuver. Home is very well kept and furnishings were very tasteful. Property was very well maintained.

erikr18
6/19/15

We booked an apartment on 2205 3rd Ave in New York, NY for a one week stay. Pictures were beautiful and the owners description was great. We arrived to a sleeping doorman (24 hr. avail) and $#*!roaches on the floor and on the see-through curtains. Bedsheets were dirty and so was the bathroom, $#*!roaches in the toaster, and the shower curtain moldy. We emailed the owner, Maaya, who assured us she would come and see herself and offered to have it cleaned. She never showed up. Due to a variety of circumstances, we had no choice but to stay. We surface cleaned (no cooking) our best and try not to stay in, but to sleep. It's been 3 days and no word from the owner, who supposedly lives in New York. The worst vacation experience EVER!

gerit2
6/19/15

I rented Joe and Kathy's house for the week of June 8. Weather was perfect, just steps away from the beach. House was clean and comfortable, couldn't ask for more. Would definitely recommend this wonderful house to friends and family.

jims142
6/19/15

I have recently booked a rental through Homeaway.co.uk only to find out it is a complete and utter scam. Speaking with their custmer service staff and they don't seem surprised at all, and have now offered me very little for what I've paid. Essentially this company is corroborating with Scammers and fails to protect its customers. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE AVOID.

katiet7
6/14/15

I am a vacation rental property owner, and have read through many comments here regarding guest reviews, among other things. Some of you have noted that your review “does not meet our guidelines," and presume that it is because you have unkind things to say. This is completely untrue, and please know that as owners we have absolutely NO control over guest reviews.

When a review is written it is sent to the owner for feedback. If it is a glowing review the owner can let HomeAway know that it can be published right away. If it is not so great or if the guest comments are perceived to be malicious in any way, the owner has the right to “hold” the review for a short period of time while he works with the past guest to try to make things right. The guest then has the opportunity to modify the review prior to publishing. If the allotted time passes with no changes, the review WILL be published as is, unless HomeAway has determined that the guest’s review was simply malicious.

Never include numbers in your reviews – that is an automatic “kick-out.” This includes address numbers, phone numbers, and the rate you paid to rent the property. ANY number will kick your review back to you, with the generic, “…does not meet our guidelines” note.

Here are HomeAway’s actual review guidelines:

• A review must be submitted within one year of the date of stay.
• Users who post content must have all legal rights to post the content.
• The content must be directly related to its purpose. Examples include:
◦ Property listing descriptions must relate to the property and information that would be useful to a traveler.
◦ Reviews of a property must focus on the traveler’s experience renting the property, which will typically focus on the stay but may address other factors relating to the rental process such as inquiries or bookings.
◦ Content posted in a forum must be relevant to the purpose of the forum and discussion.
• Listings and reviews should be accurate.
• The content must comply with the current site Terms and Conditions
• Reviews and responses should not disclose the physical location of the property or the rates charged by the owner or manager.
Users cannot post a review or response for the purpose of blackmailing or extorting owners or travelers for money or other consideration. The reviews are for the benefit of future travelers, not to allow one party to threaten the other.

Eligibility Guidelines
To review a property, the traveler must meet the following requirements:
• The traveler must be able to provide satisfactory evidence of the stay; possess receipt of property access information from HomeAway Mobile Hospitality Manager; or demonstrate payment in accordance with a rental agreement and was cancelled on or within two weeks of arrival; or paid in accordance with the rental agreement, arrived and had to stay at a property other than the property booked. Owners and property managers of advertised properties may not review the property that he or she owns or manages.
All travelers must also be able to validate his or her identity or email when submitting a review.

To thoroughly scrutinize reviews, click the name of the reviewer and see if they’ve reviewed other properties as well. Sometimes you may see a fishy connection between the properties reviewed, and it could be that the reviewer is an employee for the rental management company or some such. Be thorough, ask questions, contact the owner – rent with your eyes open. We have 22 5-star reviews, and each one of them is absolutely legitimate.

eljayh
6/14/15

My experience with homeaway.com was terrible. I gave it 1 star because theres no option for 0. I was looking to rent a beach home in the Jersey shore for the weekend. They asked for credit card information and that a payment would not go through until the property owner confirmed that the property was available.
The next day I received an email from the property owner that the property was not available. I didnt think anything of it and continued my search. When I found another property and went to pay, my card was declined. When I checked online, homeaway made 3 charges totaling a little over $1000. When I called homeaway and asked why did they charge me if the property was not available, they said that its their policy to place a hold and then release it if the property is unavailable. This is not what the website says. The representives also gave me the run around, telling me they could give me authorization codes to lift the hold. This was only after the third phone call. Why didnt they tell me that from the beginning?!
Needless to say, this was a huge inconvenience.
I will never use homeaway.com ever again.

caseyc24
6/10/15

The site will kick you out every time you cross a border. Then the only way you can verify your account is through a text message or phone call. This is extremely frustrating due to the fact that most of us don't carry our service around the world with us. The horrible customer service doesn't help matters.

Stick with airbnnb.

christ3006
6/10/15

My parents rented a house via this website and while the property was only mildly insufficient the owner was a nightmare and tried to charge us for a bunch (thousands of dollars) of BS work she claimed needed to be done and some missing items. However, when we explained the law to her she backed off. When we tried to submit an honest review of the nightmare owner they would not allow it saying that "your review does not meet our guidelines". After submitting several iterations attempting to become compliant we realized that the only way it could be seen as "non-compliant" is that our review was not flattering of the listing/owner.
This is not the first time we have had issues with owners and false advertising on these sites and neither case did VRBO/Homeaway do ANYTHING to help us but rather did everything they could to protect the owners!
Caveat emptor (buyer be ware)...these websites are NOT on your side!!

Tip for consumers: DON'T RENT through VRBO / HOMEAWAY.COM!!

simonr30
6/8/15

My son and his friends lost their money and ruined their senior week plans because of fraud on HomeAway site. After dealing with HomeAway, I feel that it is not safe renting properties advertised on this site. HomeAway does not do enough to combat scammers, and does not stand behind its protection guarantee. To read more details, please refer to my blog on this subject: http://simonraban.blogspot.com/2015/06/warning-fraud-on-homeaway-site.html

aliciam26
6/8/15

Think the reviews you're reading are from paying guests? Well you could be very wrong. Homeaway has no policy against friends and family members writing reviews. So all those laudatory reviews you read may very well be written by the owners best fiend or a cousin. So beware. Stayed at one of the properties advertised through Homeaway in Beaufort, SC. It was listed as beachfront, yet was located at in a suburban community a good distance from the water, certainly no views. What was advertised as a "cozy cottage" was actually a converted car port. The floors were sinking into the ground with resulting sand coming in all around the edge. The open concept kitchen living room was a small room with kitchen and a loveseat stuck in on one wall. Chicken clucking in the owners backyard, we're not my idea of a beachy vacation. We had to leave early and made an agreement with the owner and Homeaway that we would be forwarded any monies from rentals that the owner collected during the time that we paid, yet we're not able to stay. The owner did not comply! She rented the property, and yet refused to pay us as promised. She threatened us and out and out lied and called us nasty names after we sent in a less than good review. It took three tries and two weeks of negotiations with Homeaway to get a negative review posted. We were limited to speaking only about the property and not about the ethics of the owner, but the owners response is not similarly restricted. So when you read a review, be careful it could have been written by a close friend whose only interest is promoting the property and not an honest review by a paying guest.

annm74
6/6/15

We rented a house in I'lsle Sur La Sorgue through a Kim Fry. The property was good although the towels are a little past their prime ...we expected better quality for the rental price. The real problem is chasing up the bond refund. We were a little tired of all the excuses & put-offs but were refunded eventually...don't get angry get serious !!! Not good enough Kim.

Tip for consumers: Request better towels.
Don't put up with the slow refund of the bond.

jackm113
6/2/15

They have implemented a new Quality Listing score which they post for prospective renters. If you don't accept credit cards - your Quality rating is lowered. If you don't want to respond to an inquiry within the web-site's dashboard - they lower your Quality score. Today, they tell me that if I want to accept eChecks I have to enable credit cards as well. There is no fee for accpeting eChecks, but 2.5% charge for credit cards.

I still have an inquiry in my Dashboard from March 2014 that shows that I have not responded to it, and you guessed it....its lowered my Quality Score. They acknowlege its their issue, but claim they can't get rid of it.

At the end of the day the $1,000 annual hosting fee for my home isn't sufficient......they want 2.5% of my booking fees by making credit cards the optimum way for renters to pay. That costs me more than $2,000 in fees to HomeAway.

They seem to push the envelop of being a moral company in my opinion. I wish their was another viable alternative. They really have a monopoly, which sucks!

leannp
6/2/15

We reserved an apartment in NYC for a week from Ideal Oasis through homeaway. When I walked into the Ideal Oasis lobby it was full of disgruntled people. There were several different parties waiting there for their apartments to become available. They were all being told that they were waiting on the cleaning people to bring the key back to them. It was already after 5pm and 2 hours after the apartments were supposed to be available for check in. While I was waiting, another person called and said their key didn’t work for the apartment they were trying to get into. After 2 employees did some looking around at their stash of keys, they discovered they had given him the wrong key.
I started my check in process and the first thing she asked me was if my sales person (Adam) told me that there was a weekend pick up fee of $40 that could only be paid in cash. She made sure to whisper it to me…guess she needed some extra spending money for the weekend. I did not pay it. Then it was time to pay my remaining balance of almost $600 (we only paid half before arrival). She again told me I could only pay in cash. I needed to pay on a business credit card as it was a business trip for my husband. She absolutely was refusing to take any payment other than cash. Then she tells me our apartment isn’t ready and she doesn’t know when it will be ready. My husband and twin 2 year olds were waiting in a taxi outside. I told her I needed to know when we would have a place to take our kids as we had a long travel day and were approaching dinner time and bed time soon after. She just kept saying we could wait there, but they had not been able to get in touch with the apartment cleaners so they didn’t even know if the apartment had been cleaned yet. They did try to give us a different apartment that required walking up 4 flights of stairs. The reason I chose our original apartment was because the sleeping arrangements would work for us where most apartments I looked at with 1 bedroom would not. And, we have twins with a large double stroller that is very heavy. We can not carry them and the stroller up 4 flights of stairs several times throughout the day. In addition, they could/would not show me any pictures of the apartment ahead of time or give me the address. They wanted me to blindly pay the other half of our balance (in cash) and make do with whatever apartment they could give us.
We waited for a bit longer and they still could not tell us when the apartment we booked would be ready. We finally had to leave and go check into a hotel. We disputed the credit card charge because these guys are just plain shady. They responded to our credit card company with a complete lie saying that we never showed up and therefore are not eligible for a refund of our deposit. I am continuing to fight this. I am so disappointed in home away for allowing shady companies like this to be on their site. The point of going through home away is to only deal with reputable businesses. That is not at all the case.

penelopes2
5/29/15

Hi. I'm a holiday home owner and pride myself on the impeccable state of the property. Most of our bookings have been through HomeAway and until this past week everything has run smoothly. I had a couple arrive last week and apparently the woman had a massive allergic reaction "within 10 minutes". Whilst the house is extremely clean and neat as a pin, it is 500 years old with exposed beams and stone walls and chimney. All fresh interiors and fitting. Brand new kitchen and bathroom. Linens all professionally cleaned and pressed. The 1st email that came arrived and was nothing short of an attack on me and my home. The 2nd email was a personal attack on me. I was initially prepared to return part of the payment as a jester of good will however after the 3rd email demanding I reimburse 6 of the 7 days paid I cut this client off. Surely this comes under medical/travel insurance now? Why am I expected to wear the cost of someones chronic medical condition? There is literally no way I could foresee something like this happening. I imagine they will be chasing HomeAway now though I have been assured they do not have any serious claim. People, please make sure you are covered in case of unforeseen situations like this! HomeAway will not help you and as an owner I have to protect my loses too!

erich173
5/29/15

This is a scam! We tried to get a rental nin Mexico. They took the credit card and started putting apron fees without any confirmation that we paid. What a huge scam, beware of this. I wish I'd have seen all these reviews before we did this.

paulk94
5/20/15

Every single time it said condo was available it was not. Do not waste your time with this place.

kristinac6
5/11/15

I am very disappointed with this company!

Property 895231

We rented this flat via the HomeAway site. It was a total fraud and HomeAway has not been at all helpful and they still allow the owner to advertise on this site.
The photographs that were sent me were a compilation of photos of a variety of apt and villas rented by this agent.
The apartment was not clean and light bulbs were out in the master shower room.
The door to the shower room was broken.
The stove/hob was broken.
The kitchen was not as advertised, fully equipped. It did not have a cooker or a kettle or a coffee maker. The BBQ was dangerous and broken.
There were no sea views as advertised and the private beach access did not exist.
Most importantly, the master bedroom external door was broken and would not lock.
The handy men who arrived to look at the glass door did not have tools nor the parts required to make the door secure. Neither man was interested in looking at the hob as they were not electricians. Nothing further could be done until Monday. We arrived on a Friday and our flight home was on Weds.
I told Clara, one of Julio’s employees, that we would be leaving and moving into a hotel as we could not stay in a flat that was not secure. She indicated that she understood.

In terms of unauthorised payments on my card there were three. Two for 235 Euros and a further for 200 euros but I would like a full refund as the property was not as advertised at all.

I have forwarded HomeAway the emails where Mr Terry and Julio have agreed to transfer funds into my account, and request my details but as of today no monies have arrived.

susanp59
4/20/15

I just answered a question from someone asking if it was "safe" to rent a property on homeaway, since it had been advertised since 2010 and had no reviews. Did some additional research and found an interesting article in Forbes. It explains that an owner can have HA take down all of their reviews as an alternative to posting a negative review. This would explain a lot! I don't know how to add another answer to that same question, but hope that Lisa R. sees this!

andyc56
4/13/15

I have been with using Home Away & VRBO for over 7 years. I have 3 properties listed with each, i.e. 6 listing at the highest levels offered. Last year I paid them over $7,000, but I won't b renewing my subscriptions because I am getting no bookings. That's because my listing priority is so low. For example, on Home Away using all applicable filters, my 2 BR cabins are # 54 & 55 out of 150. Without filters, & on VRBO it's even lower. The problem is that they keep changing priority criteria so they can get more $ & some recent priority requirements are things I don't control. When I 1st started years ago, the only priority was length of time someone has been with them. Then they added priority based on the # of listings we had. Then they added subscription levels & then more subscription levels. Then it was whether or not we paid more $ for a "featured listing." Even though the cost kept increasing, I could understand that, i.e. priority based on longevity, # of listings, & amount paid. However, they then added priority based on reviews. I have no control over whether or not someone writes a review, what they consider a "good" review, or when someone is using a review as coercion. I've had guests write a good review, but give a 3 star rating. I asked them about it & they said they thought 3 stars was a "good" rating. I've also had people stay in a cabin for a week or so with no complaints, but a month later contact me & complain, making it clear that they were going to write a bad review unless I did something to compensate for their "bad experience," i.e. unless I gave them a refund, they would write a bad review. Last year, Home Away said priority was based on whether or not we OFFERED on line booking, so I added on line booking. The problem is that if a guest uses on line booking, funds go directly into my account, but I don't know who the funds are from nor which cabin it's for (as I said, I have 3 cabins listed on Home Away & VRBO). Therefore, I don't use on line booking. This year, Home Away has changed again & has made priority based on whether on not we USE on line booking. As I said, last year I paid Home Away/VRBO over $7,000, but I'm not getting any bookings. All my bookings are coming from Vacation Home Rentals (not Vacation Rentals) or Flip Key & paying less than 1/2 what I paid Home Away/VRBO. Both of those are on Trip Advisor. In other words, I paid over $7,000 to Home Away/VRBO & I have gotten nothing for it, so that money was just wasted.

eled5
4/7/15

The ad lists 10 day minimum and also lists a weekly rental rate ($1500). When I contacted the owner he said the minimum stay is one month year round. Since the website only accepts reviews from people who have stayed at the property I found no way to post a review there.

lolal11
3/31/15

I entered a search on HomeAway for Ocean Beach, Fire Island for Memorial Day weekend (5/22-5/25/15). The house I chose stated "Minimum Stay ~ 2 nights", was given an Instant Quote of approximately $1800 & sent a message stating my interest. My jaw totally hit the floor when I received an email in return that stated a Rental Amount of $4250! I promptly sent a return email stating the price I was quoted & a reply email was sent stating that the house has weekly rentals & they were 'giving me Monday-Thursday free'! How is it free if I am paying for days/nights that I will not be there?! My final email which has yet to be answered states that as well as it is false advertising if the page clearly says "Minimum Stay ~ 2 nights" when it is actually weekly. I had looked at other houses that required a weekly stay or sometimes even 4 nights which, of course, I did not choose because that was not what I was looking for. I told them that I would not be renting from them.

yelenas5
3/27/15

I booked a property through VRBO / Home Away with their online payment system and paid full price of the property with damage deposit 3 months ahead. The owner did not send me a confirmation or details. The booking stated that if cancelled within 60 days, the traveler will get a 100% refund. I asked the owner to cancel, he did but did not refund me. I am now in my second week of deliberations with the owner and Home Away. My credit card charges say 'Home Away' but they state that they are not responsible for the money. The owner refuses to issue the refund (states the money is with Home Away and he has not seen a penny of it). So far, I have not been refunded the money and Home Away refuses to help. It's a huge scam. Don't use the site.

doloress6
3/25/15

We stayed at Estero Beach and Tennis Club, Unit 901A, Ft. Myers Beach Florida for 2 weeks in March. Our condo had all the amenities. The kitchen was stocked with dishes and glass, etc. Everything was very clean. It was nicely furnished. Location to the beach, mall and grocery store was excellent. We already have plans to return next year.

reinierv
3/19/15

Just had a ridiculous experience with these guys. Have been advertising properties on a pay per booking base but their system is definitely not as advanced as other platforms as airbnb, trip advisor or others.

I have been receiving threatening emails from Homeaway that they were going to take my adverts offline because they suspected me of taking bookings outside their system. The reason of the suspicion was that my conversion rate was below average.

When people leave an enquiry and you send a customer a quote the dates get automatically blocked so no other enquiries come in. Also the customer will start receiving annoying payment requests while he never confirmed the booking. (but Someway treats the quote as a definitive booking). the customer then gets irritated (rightfully so) and starts telling me to leave them alone (while the emails are automatically send by Homeway)

The only way to unblock the dates again is by cancelling the booking and that is when Someway thinks that you as a home owner are taking bookings outside their system. The emails I have received were written in a very annoying threatening way, this is no way to treat any customer!

My suspicion is that they are not at all interested in pay per booking adverts but do all of this to change the pay her booking ads into yearly subscriptions. I am sure they will lose lots of homeowners or professionals who advertise more than one property and do not want a ridiculously high fixed cost per year.

they will lose out soon to the much more customer friendly portals as airbnb, trip advisor, wimp etc.

Tip for consumers: stop using it

17 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Have anyone found any way to stop homeaway from just making money off people that are just trying to get what they pay for ? can we not all pull together and file some type of civil suite? If anyone is will to sign a petition against them email me at jnetsellars@gmail.com and I will see what we can do to try and stop this unfair treatment or at least make them feel what we feel is unfair treatment. Jennette Robinson
9/12/13
Answer
stevel53
A: At the end of the day, HomeAway is a advertising vehicle for owners to reach guests. Each unit is as good as that owner makes it. I own 11 properties that I list on HomeAway and manage 6 for others. My customers are universally happy with the condos they stay in. At this point there is not much you can do. But I would strongly suggest in the future you speak to the condo owner and ask tough questions. Owners like yours give the rest of us a bad name. It is a shame that a few bad apples can screw things up for the rest of us owners who work very hard to give our guests a great experience!
5/26/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: I am verydiscouraged by all these negative reviews of HomeAway as I thought I had found my perfect property for a family holiday in July. How can I be confident that it is OK to book through you?
4/18/15
Answer
lynnb49
A: Homeaway has nothing to do with the quality of the properties THAT THEY ADVERTISE. That's all they do is ADVERTISE. Talk to the owner of the property to assure you are getting what you want.
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the HomeAway staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

7 Photos for HomeAway