US Government's NSF

1st Review:
suzannet1

39 Reviews for HealthGrades

Review Highlights

I was recently trying to look for a well rated doctor.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

4/2/14

First of all, I wish sitejabber.com have ZERO start. Because most people posting negative comments about Healthgrades.com will choose ZERO star. Healthgrades.com is a scam. They omit most positive comments about doctors in order to force doctors to sign and pay. Healthgrades completely ignores my email to remove the listing. I think doctors have the right to advertise on the site they wish to advertise on, not forced to. I’m searching doctors on their website with incorrect information and bad grades and send them letters by mail. Once I have enough doctors (15+ according to my lawyer). We will file class action. Please take the time and do the same in your area.

3/27/14

I reviewed 2 doctors. The one I rated really good worked and sent me a link to verify my review and the crappy review did not. The doctor that got the bad review seems to be in with the health grades site since he shows up more than a few times on the site. If we cant be honest this site does the public no good.

2/9/14

The review they posted had to be totally bogus and done by their company. Not only did they have the wrong information, they rated things that were not even applicable. A one star review? Never. I give impeccable service and always have. Other people in my field have had the same problem, and they are attacking in order to lure in anxiety riddled professionals to pay as a consumer to eradicate what I believe to be their own trumped one star reviews. Ugly indeed!

1/30/14

A Great site to use to research doctors and hospitals! So glad I found this site when trying to find an orthopedic doctor. I also love the fact that you can see how the hospital ranks among it's peers. Definitely helps when there are multiple hospitals you can go to.

1/30/14

Bogus, unverified information. Healthgrades appears to be baiting medical providers by publishing contrived negative reviews and then calling the doctor to tell them how they can improve their ratings, which costs money. Shady!!!!

1/24/14

I recently saw a TV commercial on Weight Loss Institute of Arizona, on lap band surgery. I made an appointment at the office closest to me. Since I had failed many times at losing weight, I needed more information. The office personnel, medical assistant, dietician, and Dr. DeBarros went over the program. They explained what tests were required to see if I was a good candidate for the procedure. Everyone was very professional - yet kind and gave me hope. With the help of the staff and Dr. DeBarros' experience, I knew I would succeed at losing weight this time.

1/23/14

Unethical, questionable (at best) review practices. They essentially commit character assassination based on reviews which cannot be verified. See all below...

12/28/13

I have had bad experiences with them too that's why clinicians as a group should ignore healthgrades. Instead we can create our own community where we can respond to reviews and update our own listing page. Healthgrades has a LOT of inaccurate information so we should start using a site like www.Guide.MD where on guide.md we can actually control or listing and answer patients and let them make free online appointments and post or own hours, office address and phone number and even put pictures of your practice up all at zero cost.

12/14/13

I completed a two (2) Dr surveys on HealthGrades.com. I wrote about my personal experience with these particular doctors. The reviews were posted for approximately three weeks and then disappeared. I checked the site constantly to see how long my reviews would be posted and how others felt about these doctors. I learned that others felt the same way that I did about the services from one particular Dr. Sadly, I had submitted poor rating prior to those ratings. SUDDENLY, this doctor ended up with excellent ratings... I am now in declining health due to the fact that both of these doctors failed to diagnose my illness and provide the proper treatment. To make matters worse, defaming opinions were written in my healthcare record which further delayed treatment. I had hoped to prevent someone else from going through the same thing.
Blood tests and MRI's clearly diagnosed my illness.... As for "Healthgrades.com", I have a lot of questions. As for trusting this website....well I need to have a pepsi at this point.

10/14/13

Info. about the Doctors are complete.

10/13/13

I have also use this site to review drs. and and found the reviews inaccurate. All I have ever seen were good reviews which makes me kind of think as to why when I have looked the same dr.s up on other sites and found totally different reviews. I personally have gone to drs. trusting the reviews on this site; and will never trust it again.

8/3/13

They have me listed as BELOW AVERAGE but I'm not even a doctor yet! they are hurting my reputation before I even enter the field! I have a practicum at a community services agency which always has complaints about response time & other things that have nothing to do with me, yet they are still post this. I'm worried that it's a misrepresentation of my credentials and will impact my getting a post doc since it's the first thing that comes up when you google my name.

7/21/13

I am a doctor and I got a call about "fixing" my reputation on healthgrades.com and was offered several packages ranging from $300-$1000 dollars to make myself appear highly rated and to "make the bad reviews go away" Anyone can put a snarky review about you without even being your patient and then the internet mafia needs to help you fix you problem. This should be illegal!

7/10/13

This is the worst possible site that you should go to. The survey results and the doctor's information were largely skewed. Anyone, your patient or not (could be your neighbor who never receives your services), could rate your service without any accountability. This site is not good for both consumers and the doctors. The company kept saying that they aim to serve the public, but the simple fact is this: "if you have no way to make sure the information and the survey are the accurate reflection on the services, you are not only not doing your job but also creating more damage to the public and the reputation of the hard working doctors”
I am waiting for the day that this company is taken down by lawsuit.

7/3/13

Will be contacting my lawyer on possible actions. They misinform and skew results...I have had several people research how postings are made, etc. I will continue to call Mike and Cindi Rife until I have received my result.

6/6/13

Healthgrades had my specialty, education, practice information and advertisements all wrong. The website generates significant income based on reporting without any accountability or correction for false or misleading information. The google links ensure that it is the first listing under your professional name, over current practice and publications. The website also searches and provides information generally only obtainable and used for specific inquiry from a medical board but not intended or listed for mass unsolicited distribution without a chance for response. I believe Healthgrades is dangerous and lacks accountability or even permission to advertise physician credentials. I had to update my own certification which was not listed giving me a lower Healthgrades rating.
There is no way to opt out. While there a pretense as a consumer service it fails miserably and the primary mission is really money and it also sells this information to other services. A similar website vitals.com has my education listed at the wrong institution and no other information.

5/21/13

I work for a doctor and was asked to remove misinformation about our doctor in regards to where he trained and how old he is. Healthgrades had our doctor listed as about 75 years old. It was nearly impossible to get this information removed. Also, we had a disgruntled employee whom we all wanted to leave. This employee went on healthgrades and rated our doctor poorly because she was mad about losing her job. Healthgrades does not even verify if anyone is really a patient who rates the doctors. It is a farce.

5/10/13

This site does not accurately rate doctors. They have very old data on most doctors. Please ask around before going to a doctor, don't trust this site to help you.

5/4/13

Healthgrades is a company who not only advertises incorrect information about me, they continue to advise the public about individuals without my permission. Healthgrades puts out information without any permsission from them. IMHO, Healthgrades may be invovled in some scrupulous plan to misinform the public and maybe connected to organizations that can harm the American people. BEWARE of this company.

1/11/13

If you look up Dr Elmon J. Oliver, an anesthesiologist in Kalamazoo, MI on healthgrades.com you will find him awarded the designation of "Healthgrades Recognized Doctor". According to their site:
Healthgrades Recognized Doctors designation identifies leading doctors who are board certified in the specialty they practice, have never had their license restricted or revoked, have no malpractice claims, and are free of state or federal disciplinary actions.
Yet a web search will reveal this:
mlive.com on April 03, 2012 reported that a Kalamazoo jury awarded $1.23 million to the family of a 66-year-old Lawton woman who died of a brain injury caused by the lack of oxygen during surgery in 2008. The family of Maria Garcia filed a medical malpractice lawsuit in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court in 2010 against Dr. Elmon Oliver Jr., an anesthesiologist with Kalamazoo Anesthesiology, which was also named in the suit. Bronson Methodist Hospital was dismissed as a defendant in October 2011. The trial, which began March 21, concluded Friday with the jury finding that Oliver was “professionally negligent” and that his negligence was “a proximate cause of death” of Garcia, according to court records.

11/27/12

My information is on this site and I did not allow this! I had no idea my information was on here until I searched my name!!

9/18/12

So annoyed. I googled a doctors phone number b/c I needed to make an appt. My husband already goes to him, but I would be a new patient and his number wasn't in my phone. I click on the first site w/a phone number. Seeing as this doctor has many locations, it wasn't strange that I called an 877 number. She asked me my name, and since I wasn't in the system, asked me for all my personal information. Name, address, a phone number, email, insurance carrier. She asked me how i found him(?) "google?" I said "yes, but my husband already goes there". Then asked me "what dr again?" I don't know what tipped me off, i needed to find a pen, but I looked at the website again and saw "advertisement" along the logos of the local health organization that I thought he was affiliated with. I thought "what the f*ck!". She gave me his phone number, and before I hung up I said "I just realized you aren't even the correct website. Could you please not use my number or email for anything?". She said "yes, I'll wipe you out of the system when you hang up". Then transferred me to the wrong location. I am just glad I didn't use the web form to get an appointment! This website needs to be shut down!!! They are claiming to be someone they are not!!!

7/3/12

bias site also doesn't allow an organization to be reviewed as a whole.

7/2/12

I have written reviews and verified my email address, yet they have not posted my reviews or answered my emails. My reviews were all positive, except one was very negative. I don't think they are posting my reviews because of the negative one. I would not trust the site.

6/23/12

I have been using this site for about a year. I chose a dr that had a 100% rating. After going to that dr, I realized that there was no way this dr should have that high of a rating! I waited for over an hour (1hr 40 mins). Then when I talked to the dr she didn't listen to a thing I said! She gave me the wrong meds as well. I went back to healthgrades.com and completed a survey. They did not post my survey AND the doctor called me the very next day about the survey!!! After a week I completed another survey thinking I had done something wrong on my end... still the survey did not get posted to the site. I have emailed healthgrades.com but never received a response. I do not trust the ratings or information on this site.

5/6/12

Most reviews are by competitors or a disgruntled individual. The good stay quiet.

3/3/12

Used this site before I chose a surgeon for neck/back problems. The doctor I ended up choosing Heathgrades gave a clean bill for him, but in reality had 2 lawsuits that went against him and 3 pending at that time. He now has 20+ and I have a useless left arm after my surgery from the doctor I wouldn't have chosen if I would of got the correct information about him from Heathgrades. DO NOT USE HEALTHGRADES FOR CHOOSING ANYTHING! Unreliable site.

2/6/12

CHECK THIS LINK. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION. HEALTHGRADES IS A RIP OFF

12/18/11

Defamation. Endangerment to medical staff. And loss of business. All are directly traced to erroneous ratings. In my case, they have me medically practicing over 100 miles from where I really practice. And their site lists nothing but the zero type ratings, ratings that are typically done by disgruntled drug addicts. They, many times, know the net well, and how to disuse it. Thus, we will NEVER ever be able to trust uninvestigated email entries = what healthgrades accepts. True reviews are available to patients through real HMO type audits of real practitioners, real patients and real visits. Everyone should be frightened of something like healthgrades, which is essentially a smear blog, without any responsibility and no recourse for the "graded".

10/24/11

I have been a victim of this rating system. A disgruntled employee entered the poorest rating on all aspects even scheduling, office staff, etc which my partners got top 5 ratings. I got a one rating that skewed all additional comments. How can a consumer know there is one crank review and two good ones. They average out poorly. Needless to say the system can be gamed. Mds can send in reviews via family and friends and come up with perfect five scores. Who even knows how to use site. If fair, every patient should be asked to complete a survey after a visit to the MD. I was horrified to see my score based on 3 reviews after receiving excellence awards within my hospital. I reviewed other MD reviews who got straight fives...all excellent. I question the reliability and reproducibility of this data and caution individuals from placing weight on this arbitrary and potentially manipulated reviews. It is a crime

9/3/11

This site is a total scam. How is it that they look so reputable??

11/19/10

This site is unethical and misleading. There is no verification process, so it's a great way to commit character assassination; just get a bunch of friends together and write a bunch of bad reviews. I hope no one takes this site seriously. Also, it's unclear where they get their description of what services the caregiver provides. My experiences is that healthgrades.com's descriptions of the services provided do not match what services the provider actually advertises as providing on their website and in the phone book. For example, I was looking for a therapist who does EMDR for PTSD. I found a therapist on line; checked healthgrades -- services descriptions didn't match; I was wondering if their were two therapists with the same name. I called the provider and asked her about the disparity. She advised that the healthgrades description is in error. She further advised she tried to correct the erroneous information thru the healthgrades site. She reported she was able to provide updated information, but the site never changed her data nor did they respond directly to her about her update. She says she gave up and simply hopes others don't look to this site for accurate information.

10/20/10

Luckily, I did not get caught financially by this site, but I did get screwed in a much, much worse way. I needed a new Rheumathologist so I read the reviews on several doctors in the area that was convenient for me. I picked one who had a 4.5/5 rating. Good, right? WRONG!! He turned out to be the worse doctor I have ever been to in my life. Now that I am searching for a new one, I have found many other sites to use and guess what? On these sites this doctor has a terrible rating! Additionally, while you are trying to review a doctor, advertisements keep interrupting your search. This site should be banned!

8/17/10

This website is full of misinformation, outdated information. I was recently trying to look for a well rated doctor. It turned out tha I was misinformed. The website claims that the doctor got his degree from a respected medical school in US. It turns out tha he received his degree from Damascus! You can go in to rate anyone you want. There is no quality control of any kind. So a doctor can get his or her friends to put a high rating for himself or herself. Therefore, the rating is entirely unreliable. Stay away from this website.

7/18/10

Healthgrades.com presents it self as a rating site through which consumers can obtain accurate information about their doctors and obtain information about a particular doctor or hospital which they are considering using. A quick rating system is available for no fee and additional information is available for a fee. The information profile obtained for several doctors did not at all match the actual quality of the doctor. Healthgrades.com is a rip-off.

3/27/10

If you google "Healthgrades complaints" you will bring up many, many consumer complaints. Say no more...

3/19/10

I absolutly loved this site! I needed to find a pediatrician for my daughter, and was having trouble finding a good doctor that accepted our insurance. This site lets people conduct detailed searches for healthcre in many feilds including physistions, dentist, hospitals, and nursing homes. For example, I searched peditricians in my area who accepted aour insurance. I got names, adresses and ratings. Also availible are drug reveiws either by drug name or condition. For a fee there is availible detailed cost reports on procedires, labtest and visits.( so you can have an ideal how much these may cost.) Another reason I liked this site is because people are not limited to searching for only doctors. I searched and found a wonderfull nurse pratictiner in my area. I was so please with the results of this site. Personally I beleive I will never have to look anywhere else for any questions I may have on what medical provider I should use. This site has everything I needed.

3/4/10

I, too, have been pickpocketed by Healthgrades. I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER ever again use Healthgrades,com. And I will be happy to spread the story of my bad experience, as I am here, many many time to repay them for ripping me off . . . Here goes. I purchased a one-time report, which actually was informative, and I was happy and thought it stopped there (at that point I would have used them again). Nope! That was just the beginning. Just like all the other unwitting victims in forums out there, Healthgrades hoodwinked me by proceeding to do me the favor (ha, ha) of slipping in an "enrollment" for me in their "watchdog" program for $9.95 a month (apparently they printed that fact, and wording that I'd have to opt out of it to avoid these charges –for something I didn't want and didn't know I was enrolling in– really tiny on the RECEIPT they emailed to me). Can you believe it? The charges went on for months before I caught it. I complained to American Express and they only reversed a few of the charges (I still have $50.00 worth which they say I have to eat) because they cited the "fair credit act" which prevents them from reversing charges over 30 days old (and lets Healthgrades off the hook). No wonder Healthgrades continues this--for them there's no downside! There's no one to bust them on it. Think your credit card company is on your side? I did! Think again. I had to speak with three people going up the ladder at American Express and --after being put on hold for incredible amounts of time--was informed that they (Amex "supervisors") couldn't help me further because I "willingly gave my card number to Healthgrades" (no matter that they ran up charges for a service I DIDN'T ASK FOR) and according to Amex I should take this up with "officials in the government." I'm not kidding here. This is what you get for being a great customer of American Express for many years with a super credit rating. What a racket! Healthgrades has a great accomplice in American Express--no one I spoke to at Amex had any interest in documenting a complaint--or investigating it. One Amex supervisor said "well, we're not lawyers." Well they're also not advocates interested in the welfare of their customers being fraudulently charged! As for grading Healthgrades, I, as other commentors here, would give those delinquents a grade of F minus. Why bother to offer a decent product if your sales tactics suck and create massive bad will? I had to laugh when I read the prior comment (rebuttal) posted by a person from Healthgrades. No one here appreciates patronizing blather instead of real "damage control". Real damage control would mean changing the way you deliver your product to be honest and up-front. It would also mean refunds for all these automatic charges. Healthgrades: you KNOW nobody really wants your "watchdog" service because you have to fool people into enrolling. People like me order a "one-time report" on a doctor for a reason: information needed ONE TIME. We could care less about getting "updates" (at $9.95 a month no less!) If you don't change your policy, may I suggest that you call the product a "One-Time Report That Will Pay Healthgrades a Lot of Money Because You Will Be Charged Every Month Until You Figure Out the Scam." For consumers: I've found that for FREE you can go to the reference section of your public library for medical directories with current ratings and tons of info to help make good decisions. No need to use or pay for Healthgrades!

10/21/09

www.healthgrades.com promotes themself as a website where you can get both free informatiion and reports for a fee on physicians, hospitals and nursing homes. It is a site that I have followed now for a few years, since I work in the healthcare industry as a consultant and I have purchased a few reports on a few physicians over the past 2 years.
The overall quality of these physician background reports, at best, has been inconsistent and at worst, completely devoid of vital information. When I called their customer service department and attempted to complain about the lack of information in the report and to ask for my money back, they reluctantly said they would refund my money. I sort of felt sorry for the customer service representative, he was trying his best to be polite and professional, despite my hostility and anger over the situation.
A word of warning to consumers who are contemplating purchasing a physician report from this website - don't!!! They have in the last few months implemented this "upsell sales tactic", for lack of a better way to describe it. Whenever you purchase a physician report for $12.95, they automatically and deceptively attached this service they call "Watchdog Notification Service" for a monthly charge of $9.95/month, every month until you notice the charge on your credit card statement and call customer service to complain about it. Now, I will admit, I understand how internet sales and marketing works and Healthgrades gives you this "canned speel" about how everyone does it and it's not illegal and how it is indicated in 3 different places in the "small print" on their website, somehow rationalizing their, at best, deceptive sales practices, and at worst, fraudulent sales tactics.
The truely sad part of this whole situation is that the target population for their website (understanding the healthcare industry as I do) is senior citizens, many of which are on fixed incomes, and understanding the way most people are, the majority of their customers who are getting caught up in this scam are either not realizing they are being charged every month for something they didn't request until they have received 2 or 3 charges of $9.95 or they are not realizing it at all until either their credit card company intervenes by notifying them of the potentially fraudulent charges (based on complaints from other customers about HealthGrades) or their credit card simply expires, stopping the charges by default. Unfortunately, companies like HealthGrades understand this all too well.

About HealthGrades
Specialties & Business Description
Healthgrades reviews doctors and hospitals, as well as dentists and dialysis centers.