US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

milessaw

Emailing the customer service, I got my response within the 1-2 business days as promised. (in 14 reviews)

mattr6

Well I don't have the activation code, and I can't find it anywhere, nor can I find it in any saved emails or documents. (in 13 reviews)

johnk23

Buying the gift cards was easy, large selection of store and online gift cards, and Visa & Mastercard gift cards. (in 11 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

paulb173
3/20/15

Horrible experience. We placed an order because we needed a quick gift. Site said gift card should be emailed in less than 4 hours. 5 hours later, nothing. So I called and the rep told me that it could take anything up to 72 hours. Apparently the orders are placed in a queue and processed manually, one by one! Ended up ordering an Amazon gift card for instant email delivery, which was sent in about 2 minutes.

amberj11
3/18/15

I ordered an e-gift card for my mother's birthday yesterday. I didn't see anything that mentioned it would not be delivered on the same day. After 8 hours and no gift card, I called customer service where I was told that the credit card went through and was processed and the gift card was in the queue to be sent. After 12 hours and another call, I was told the same thing. This morning I get an email saying it was cancelled because they were missing information. This is a scam, I will never do business with them again.

elisat4
3/3/15

I feel like i'm beating a dead horse here since everyone else has had equally terrible experiences, but seriously, they robbed me. Won't refund, won't deliver,total $#*! named Susan as their employee.

Tip for consumers: RUN AWAY! Go to the store or find a better website.

donr25
1/31/15

Beware, no - run the other direction. Cards never arrive at gift address, activation codes never arrive at purchase address, this includes replacements. Refunds take in excess of 40 days if you get one.

dollyh
1/23/15

I wish I had checked here before buying. I ordered a gift card for Michaels. It never arrived. They promised to resend. Never did. Then they gave me a reference number for the reprint/ refund. still nothing.
Run around x 100000000. This is a dishonest company. stay away.

Tip for consumers: run.

alyssaq
1/4/15

DO NOT BUY THIS GIFT CARD. PERIOD. THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!

I went to a restaurant and my total was $55.01 and when I got the receipt it says my balance $33.01. Which doesn't make sense. I should have $44.99. So I called the number in the back of my card to view my last transactions and the restaurant charged $66.99. $11 more than my original total. And it was not the restaurant's fault because I have used the same card to 2 other places, used the same card and they took more money than the original cost. This company charges secret fees!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. IT'S A SCAM!!

lisac82
12/23/14

WARNING! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY! Wish I read the reviews first! If I had the option, I would not give them any starts but of course, we cannot do that!

I ordered a gift card for my daughter. Immediately when I placed the order, I received a fraud alert from my bank via text, email and a phone call. When I asked the bank rep. what the fraud was about he simply asked if I made the purchase. I said yes and he authorized the transaction. Needless to say, I never received the gift card. When I called, they stated they do not have tracking numbers and couldn't tell me where the card was. They said they could refund my money and said it would take up to 30 days. Forget that...I contacted my bank immediately and they are launching a fraud investigation!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE!

juliam3
11/21/14

This is the only way to order a Hess gift card online. I ordered a $50 card on 12/17/10. It never arrived. Nearly a month later I'm still trying to get a refund. I keep getting switched from one person to another and none can tell me when the refund will be processed. This is a rip-off company.

milessaw
11/2/14

Emailing the customer service, I got my response within the 1-2 business days as promised. I needed help activating a 500.00 card. The told me they would send it up for activation. They activated my card for me since I had no idea where the activation code was. They were really helpful. Good customer service!!!!!!

kevind38
10/13/14

I tried to purchase a gift card for my mother's birthday. Thought everything was alright until the next morning I received an e-mail from giftcardmall.com saying that the order could not be processed. It was a form letter, but they hadn't even bothered to type in my name or the order number. It said 'Dear ,' and 'We are contacting you regarding Order .'

I called their customer service number and the representative told me she didn't know why the order had been cancelled. She recommended I contact the credit card company, and then try the order again. The credit card company told me there was no problem with the credit card, and that giftcardmall had cancelled the transaction. So I tried to purchase a card one more time. The exact same thing happened, down to the unfilled-in form letter e-mail.

I called giftcardmall again, and again the representative could offer no reasons or solutions. Then, when I tried to think of and offer some possible reasons why there may have been a problem, after about ten seconds the phone line went dead. I can't say for sure she hung up on me, but it was very curious timing. I was neither rude nor angry while I was speaking with the representative.

This company seems pretty shady, and I will definitely stay away in the future.

maryjanem1
10/9/14

I tried to purchase an egift card through gift card mall. I am used to the egift cards arriving within the half hour, unless I post date it. This site did not offer post dating, so when I placed the order, I expected it the same day as the site didn't seem to specify when the card would arrive. After awaking the next morning and the card was not received, I became concerned and called the company. The company advised that it could take 12 to 24 hours to receive. Fine, I didn't mind waiting. It just would have been helpful to know before I placed the order.

Low and behold, 24 hours came and went, and the card was not received. In calling the company. The order was 'cancelled as they were unable to verify the account to protect from fraud." Although it seems reputable to protect against these situations, in order to verify the account (according to the representative) they would have had to call or send an email. There was no email. There was no phone call. To top it off, there was also no notification to state that the ecard order was cancelled. Horrible way to do business, and with that alone, I would never do business with them again.

After reading the reviews of how these cards work, I guess I could consider myself one of the lucky ones.

rachelw32
8/5/14

I actually bought one of these cards in a store, simply so I could avoid U-Haul's ridiculously high cash deposit. Since having to use the website, I've realized what a scam this company is. The original card, which worked, was lost with $30 still on it, and I have now received two replacement cards that do not work. They require an activation code that does not come with the card, and their phone representatives insist that they cannot help. Their customer service email reps don't respond to messages. I don't have it as bad as some folks on this thread, but I'm a working grad student and $30 is $30! I have reported them to the IC3. I hope that helps shut them down. Who's putting together a class action suit?! Count me in!

kahk
8/5/14

I ordered a home depot card via staples to be fulfilled by Gift Card Mall. They never sent the card and makes you run around trying to figure out what happened. Avoid at all cost. Not worth it.

nickb51
3/27/14

I purchased one of their retail cards for $500. All of the money except just under $5 of it was gone before I even "activated" the card.

Turns out someone 2 cities away purchasing using my card before I could even get home to activate my card.

Their customer service requested some information on a dispute form. Their service rep then said they had everything they needed and I could expect a new card in 45-60 days. 3 Months later I call and they tell me since it's past the 30 day dispute period they cannot do anything for me, even though they acknowledge they received my form before the 30 day period, they say the case is closed and cannot be re-opened.

These people sold me an already stolen card, they are crooks. They have no way to protect their customers from thiefs and if your card does get stolen they will dispute the transaction and keep the money for themselves!

terryt27
3/13/14

Oh heck no. First of all they had a huge breech in their internet site and thousands of fraudulent cards were bought. Thousands of customers were effected. I called because I had several hundred dollars debited from my account and I had not even heard of this joke of a website. They told me that they would refund me and send my "ticket" to their "2nd level". That was back in Feb and they still are keeping my money. The rep told me they had a huge fraud break in and thousands of customers were effected. Stay away! They are not ethical and do not return your money.

pattir3
1/18/14

Purchased a gift card for my mom five days ago. Call them to have them resend it twice and verified all the information is correct. All they will do now is tell me that they could refund it or send it to the same email. They tell me that refund could take up to 30 days. What a load of crap. So much for a nice gift for my mom. They won't even email me the gift card to me when I purchased it so I can forward it to my Mom. No one in the call center can do anything but see and see if it's been processed. They don't process in house.

joer120
12/17/13

On 12/16/2013 I purchased a 100.00 gift card using my debit card from BOA. I received an email confirmation with all the correct information on 12/16/2013. On 12/16/2013 my account was debited 107.94. On 12/17/2013 I received an email from GiftCardMall.com telling me my order could not be processed without giving a reason. I called GiftCardMall.com and they informed my that they had canceled my order but the person on the phone could not tell me why. It was a useless phone call. GiftCardMall.com insisted they did not debit my account but BOA claims otherwise. Now I have no giftcard and GiftCardMall.com has 107.94 of my money.

jeremyg16
12/17/13

WARNING this site is a scam.

They fraudulently charge your credit card for purchases you never made. Funds will be held with them for about a month before being released back to you according to my credit card company. (Mine is still being held by them and I'm not sure if I'll ever get back my money)

Their customer service is non-existent. Tried emailing them for a week and and still no reply. Called them up and they couldn't explain to me why my funds were being held even though I made no purchases with them.

Stay away from this shameless company!

dons35
9/10/13

I purchased a gift card from giftcard mall....and then you find out about all the restrictions....no internet purchases, no gas purchases, no purchases if the web site is out of the US, no restaurant purchase....STAY away, there are so many other VISA gift cards that are less restrictive. This site is a scam....they get you to buy the card, and then limit its purchase ability, which means that they are probably pocketing what goes un-used...>BUYER BEWARE

jackies21
8/15/13

I have only used this website service 2 times and BOTH times they double charged me for the gift card and then never issued the card forcing me to spend days and days on the phone with my bank and the company to get my money refunded. I would rather have a root canal than do business with them ever again!

grannyl
8/13/13

I ordered two $50.00 VISA gift cards for my kids and everything went according to plan. I even personalized the gift cards with their names and had them each sent to different addresses. They got the cards on time in the mail and bought cute new school clothes for my grand babies! I was very pleased with customer service when I called in to ensure the cards were shipped on time as well. I spoke to a very sweet young lady and am definitely going to use giftcardmall.com again. I wanted to share this mostly because all of the reviews I read for the site were awful and I was very nervous about using it, but there were absolutely no probelems.

skyl13
7/10/13

I ordered a (egift)card on a whim in a hurry from here. It did not send at the next day i received a message stating "Unfortunately, your order could not be processed as we were unable to verify some of the information provided." As my bank had been charged I called the main line and talked to a woman who told me she couldn't help but she would have someone on the next level call me to resolve it within the next 2-3 business days. I received a call 2 hours later and the lady offered to send a new card or refund my money. I asked for my money back and it was refunded to my bank. I was really panicked after reading the reviews on here, however they took care of everything promptly and i did receive a full refund within 24 hours.

jeffz3
4/10/13

Got a gift card, tried to use and it was declined. Went online and did the dog and pony show and it shows zero balance. I simple don't know how this company is allowed to stay in business.

travisc14
1/24/13

Do not buy!
I have $100 gift card with nothing on it, when I log in to see transactions - there are none. Have spent hours on the phone to no avail.
Do Not Buy! Scam!

lisau3
1/23/13

SCAM SCAM SCAM. I bought my daughter a visa debit card from this company for her 14th birthday. She tried to use them to order items online. The card was declined, and no purchase made, but giftcardmall is still holding the funds, and tell me it will take 6 business days until they'll be available. I would never get one of these again, total scam. I called and complained with their agents, a supervisor, and am not posting on as many websites my dissatisfaction. I also am looking at joining any class action lawsuit against them that I can find.

terenaf
1/3/13

I ordered two visa gift cards from giftcardmall.com. The first visa gift card ordered was sent via UPS next day air guaranteed delivery for 12/31/2012 by 10:30 AM. I received the activation code for the visa gift card via UPS next day air but I never received the visa gift card on 12/31/2012. The tracking information said the visa gift card was out for delivery. I did not receive my visa gift card from giftcardmall.com until 01/02/2013 at 10:17 AM. When I called UPS for a guaranteed service refund a supervisor named Wendy advised me that they were not able to issue a refund for the express delivery fee $19.99 because the service contract with giftcardmall.com does not allow refunds. So basically I had to eat the loss of $19.99 because UPS had too many packages on 12/31/2012 and not enough drivers and giftcardmall.com would not issue a refund of the shipping charge. For the second visa gift card order I received the visa gift card on time on 01/03/2013 as promised via UPS next day air mail before 10:30 AM, BUT the activation code that I received (on the same day, different envelope) was not for the correct visa gift card! They overnighted the wrong activation code, the code that was sent to me via UPS next day air mail was not for the card I ordered on giftcadmall.com. The activation code I received was for another gift card ordered through Staples.com b(staples.com is an affiliate/partner of giftcardmall.com). I didn't even order overnight service for Staples.com. I called customer service for giftcardmall.com and they said they would send a request to their "second level" to activate the card by the next day 5PM eastern standard time. I am sharing my experience so that others may make a more informed decision when buying from giftcardmall.com.

cathim
12/26/12

I purchased a gift card and paid extra $13 for two day delivery on Dec 18. Today December 26 party has not received their card and giftcard mall says it's at UPS getting a label on it, and that could take up to 5 days, they have no control of it now. I paid extra for rush delivery so they could put it in someone's hand and not be able to track it? UNACCEPTABLE. My advice, buy your own gift card and walk it to the post office and pay LESS than $13 for two day delivery. I will NEVER will use them again.

amandas25
11/9/12

We are a company and we purchased a gift card for an employee who would be traveling internationally. We did not want to cancel the gift card, simply transfer it over to a card which would work internationally. Lots of help they were. I explained to the woman we would never use their services again and that I would tell 20 friends not to use their services. I surely hope this reaches more than 20 people. Find another gift card site to purchase from. These people are awful!!!

nml
10/10/12

got $100 gift card. Spent $20 at walmart. and now it says i have a $0 balance and is declinded everywhere.

sharonm23
9/3/12

MYour review will help others learn about this websit
Please do not review if you are affiliated or have a conflict

Make that a minus one star or less. Worst card ever- customer service (phone) is rude and website is a nightmare. Stay Away!!

michaels73
7/4/12

They are horrible!!! They charged me twice on my account. 1.) in June of 2012...I seen my statement and it showed the money was taken out and then all of a sudden 3 weeks later it shows I'm charged again and all of a sudden the old charged vanish from the statements of June. I called to ask why 3 weeks later I'm billed for something back in June in which I was charged? Plus I asked him to explain why the charges have vanished back in June and reappear in July? Why wasn't I refunded my money and why did the charges take 3 weeks and why the old statements don't show them anymore? Who is playing with my money????Worst company ever!!!

jenniferf6
6/25/12

The website is useless. It says I've created an account when I never did. Would not take the last 4 digits of my phone number to register the gift card then locked me out. Worst website ever! Do not buy a gift card that is managed by giftcardmall.com.

tomr17
6/14/12

Ordered a $250 visa gift card for my niece's graduation. The next day received an email that "your order could not be processed as we were unable to verify some of the information provided". When I called to ask what information needed to be verified--they said they did not know and I would just have to try again. They also said if my billing address was even "one period" different than what they have--the purchase is declined. What a waste of time this company is!!

tb19
3/16/12

I got 2 gift cards and unable to use them anywhere. I went on their site to register and both card numbers showed as invalid. So I think this company sells fraudulent products.

shyd
2/13/12

I bought 4x$25 dollar cards as I couldn't find the $100 card on the display at my local store. I found them the following week and asked if I could exchange due to the (in light print and not noticible ) fee of 3.95 per card which I didnt notice at the time. Store said I could go onto giftcardmall.com and they would be happy to refund. Nope, they are not at all happy to refund, in fact it keeps saying my numbers are invalid and I cant even get anyone on the phone. Will never use them again!

nl2
1/4/12

I ordered an iTunes giftcard provided by Gift Card Mall through Amazon.com. The date was December 9. It was going to be part of a Christmas gift. By December 24 I still hadn't received anything and the tracking on Amazon said it had already been shipped. I sent and inquiry and was told by a Gift Card Mall customer service rep that they can reprint another card and send it to me again. Even though it wouln't be received by Christmas, I said yes. I still haven't received it. I complained again and was told that the card should have been delivered. My only option now seems to be a full refund. It's outrageous. Amazon should break all ties with Gift Card Mall. I will never do business with Gift Card Mall again. BUYER BEWARE!

donnah15
12/19/11

DO NOT EVER BUY A SAFEWAY GIFT CARD- EVER. I went to the Safeway website and bought one from their linked store of giftcardmall.com. It was a gift for someone. The person took it to the store and it did not work. Manager blamed the gift card company. Spent hour on phone with giftcard mall. They blamed the store. Spent 2 more hours and several trips to store and store is still blaming giftcard mall. I finally called giftcard mall and said I want a full refund since you are all just passing the buck and nobody wants to solve the problem. They refunded the money (only thing someone could manage to do correctly). If you're buying online, you would think that by going to the safeway website for a safeway card is the BEST way to go....but obviously there is NO relationship between these 2 entities to assist the actual customer!

scotty3
8/18/11

Purchase Visa gift card at Albertson's specifically to make a purchase at an international online website. The transaction didn't go through. I then find out that the card was good in the US only. No where on the package where they list some conditions did it say the card was only good in the US. The only way to find out is after the purchase and opening the package to find the Terms and Conditions.

I explained the situation to the CS rep and supervisor, and all that was offered to me was:

1) refund of balance minus a $5.95 check issuing fee (this means I lose the $5.95 purchase fee and $5.95 check issuing fee)
2) buy a prepaid visa credit card and have the funds transferred (doing this would cost me another purchase/activation fee)

I just wanted the purchase fee to be added to the balance since:

a) the package did not say valid in US only
b) the terms and conditions where inside of the package and the package can't be opened until I purchased the Visa gift card

My gripe is that I know the supervisor could have done something, even send the call to her manager. It seems that they are willing to lose several customers (myself, family, friends, friends of friends, friends of family, and so on) because of their unwillingness to help or even show that they cared.

What a shame cause I usually give gift cards as gifts (especially during the holiday season) as the receiver can buy what they want. I learned my lesson.

asdfe
8/15/11

the card is really difficult to use. it's virtually impossible to use the full balance on the card because it continuously gets rejected if you spend anywhere close to the amount on the card. so you basically pay $5 or $6 to activate this card and then you lose a dollar or two that you can never spend. on top of that, i have a really hard time checking my balance because whenever i try to log into the website it marks my card as potential fraud. selling pre-paid credit cards can't possibly be as difficult as visa is making it.

billp13
7/17/11

You may as well flush money down the toilet as use giftcardmall for anything. I've got over $160 tied up right now that I can't access and will probably never see again because the card numbers are "invalid". There aren't real people you can contact to resolve anything. Big rip off!!!

davidw42
6/20/11

I would not recommend purchasing a Visa gift card from these people.I bought one and lost my money.The card is not usable.When I try to call them it asks for your sixteen digit card number.I type it in and it says it's not a valid number.I have no way to contact them by phone.A balance check on-line says my card is marked for potential fraud.I'm going to throw the card away and count it a loss.I'm glad I only spent $25.00 on the card.Screw you giftcardmall !

tomb15
3/16/11

DO NOT TO BUSINESS WITH THIS SCAMMING PEICE OF SH*T WEBSITE. I RECEIVED THIS CARD AS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT WITH $100 ON IT, THE FOLLOWING DAY (AFTER THE PERILOUS PROCESS OF ACTIVATION) I WENT ONLINE AND TRIED TO ORDER AN ITEM FOR $85.THE CARD WAS DECLINED! AFTER MULTIPLE ORDEALS WITH CHECKING THE BALANCE, I WAS TOLD THERE WAS 100 DOLLARS ON THE CARD. FINALLY I SWITCHED WEBSITES AND ORDERED THE SAME ITEM OFF ANOTHER WEBSITE, THE CARD STILL WAS DECLINED. AFTER FOUR PHONE CALLS AND 45 MINUTES I WAS INFORMED THAT FOR BULLSH*T 'SECURITY REASONS' 20% OF THE BALANCE ON THE CARD HAD BEEN WITHHELD, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THEY COMPLETELY F*CKED ME OVER, AND RUINED MY BIRTHDAY. PLEASE DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

virginiaj
2/8/11

I purchased a Visa gift card which was received but the activation code mailed separately has never come. Sent ( 3 ) emails and phoned twice customer service who never get back to you. This company has absolute contempt for their customers. Nightmares begin at giftcardmall.com and don't end. The card cannot be used and the company refuses to help. Don't shop here.

mattr6
1/30/11

I bought this gift card online through a 3rd party company (quibids.com).

My wife and I were just cleaning house and stumbled upon the 25$ Chili's gift card..."Cool! Hey Jess, wanna go get some chilli's?"

I call to double check we haven't used it yet and it says it needs activated. Well I don't have the activation code, and I can't find it anywhere, nor can I find it in any saved emails or documents. I try the activation number anyway, only a pre-recorded answering machine...frustrating. I search their site and find a number. I waited on hold for 11 minutes and hear a click. My cell phone reads, "Call ended." I called them back. They instantly picked up and asked for my card number, where it was to, my name, the address it was shipped to and once I provide that, they activated it instantly (they told me to wait 5 minutes before using it.)

So overall it wasn't too terrible, but after reading these reviews and getting hung up on and the fact they send activation code and gift card to different places, I'm thinking I would like to stay away from this site for the rest of my life.

drk
1/21/11

They keep canceling my orders.

I placed an order for a $100 gift card and they canceled after a day saying my billing address did not match shipping address !!!
Then I placed another order and they canceled it after a day saying my credit card did not go through. There was however a charge for the amount and when I called they said it will be refunded.
Just for giggles I placed the same order again. This time they canceled saying the 3rd party company that verifies the order did not give any reason this time. It simply says canceled. Of course there is another charge on the credit card they say will be refunded.

I am wondering if I should try again and see how far it goes.....

laurat3
1/16/11

I sent a gift card to my brother, for his birthday. However, I was told that if he got the card on a Thurs or Fri, I should receive the code on Mon or Tues. How inconvenient and frustrating! I will certainly never use them again nor recommend them.

johnk23
1/9/11

Buying the gift cards was easy, large selection of store and online gift cards, and Visa & Mastercard gift cards. Low fee for Visa gift card. You can have them shipped direct to the recipient. I bought 5 cards for nieces & nephews about a week before Christmas. The downside is, well after Christmas, I get letters with the activation codes! By this time, the kids tried to use their cards and had them rejected! Also, I only received codes for 4 of the 5 cards, customer service (yeah, right) didn't get back to me for 5 days, and I'm still waiting for it (1/9/2011)

michaell12
1/2/11

This company is a ripoff. Their card came much later than I expected (over 2 weeks), and it was scuffed and poorly laminated. Secondly, they never sent me the activation code so I couldn't use the card immediately anyway. I think this is intentional so they can sit on my money and make more interest.

lalehm
1/2/11

This is the worse company ever!!!!!! I purchased over $400 gift card. First they delivered them late. Second, I never received the activation code. I had to call them and be on the line for half an hour. Now they want to activate them but it will take them couple of days. What a rip of! I don't recommend this company at all. I am very embarrassed in front of my friends and family.

deborahs3
1/1/11

I ordered an iTunes giftcard through Amazon.com, which used giftcardmall.com to order it. I placed the order on Dec. 6, 2010, and it was estimated to be received by Dec. 16, 2010. It is now Jan. 1, 2011 and it has not been received. Giftcardmall.com doesn't provide shipping info online so there's no way to track it.

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GiftCardMall staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I made a $100 purchase with my card but then I had to return some clothes that i bought with it. the clerk refunded 54 dollars back to the card but the card said Theresa no money on it. So basically I left the store with nothing after returning my items. The clerk said it can take 7-10 days to be put back on the gift card but the card says its not rechargeable? I don't trust gift cards from the giftcardmall. :(
12/15/12
saml65
A: You have to call up GiftCardMall.com at (877) 426-2551 and tell them that even after 3 weeks ,you have not received the activation code. Keep pressing 0 till you reach customer service. Then they will ask you for order number, etc and they will activate it within 24 hours.
1/29/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: I am trying to make a $94.98 purchase and have $100 on my card. Yet I keep getting a message back that I am exceeding my available credit. How do I resolve?
1 week ago
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the GiftCardMall staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?
GiftCardMall?
Click here to post a review