US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

quincyv4

This time, I sent back my iPhone 5 in damn near perfect condition (not a mark on the thing). (in 16 reviews)

ericv8

I recently upgraded to the new iPhone, and sold my iPhone 4 to Gazelle. (in 9 reviews)

dand102

First off, ALWAYS remove the SIM card from your phone before you send it anywhere. (in 5 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

paulf90
5/4/16

Purchased an iPhone 5c, which stopped working 31 days after the company delivered the device. I was told too bad, I was outside the 30 day window. I actually wasn't outside the 30 day window based on delivery date. This site might be good if you are a seller, but it's horrible if you are a buyer as it does not appear that they even check the devices for working condition.

jenem
4/19/16

Friends warned me about the "bait and switch" practices of Gazelle, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I have an iPhone S5 in excellent condition that they offered me $100 for till they received it and then changed the offer to $5.00 telling me how damaged it was. Not true. So I requested a return. My Plan B is to donate the phone to a domestic violence shelter and charge off the phone's value on my next years income tax. Much easier than dealing with deceptive business practices like those of Gazelle. Just sayin'.

mikeo41
4/15/16

We all should know not to do business with with people like gazelle. It's just too easy for them to screw their customers. I bought an IPhone in "excellent condition". 90 days later it's got more malfunctions than I have time to describe. It's actually in worse condition than my original IPhone. Course
Don't do it folks, no matter how good it looks!!!

dand102
4/6/16

The few times I've submitted items on the Gazelle website, I found the quotes to be sub-par, so I didn't pursue them. In that respect I can understand the frustration of many here, but perhaps I can offer a suggestion or two to save someone a lot of potential grief. First off, ALWAYS remove the SIM card from your phone before you send it anywhere. Your SIM card is registered to your wireless number and contains sensitive data about your phone and wireless account, so mailing it to someone you don't know could potentially open a Pandora's Box of security risks. Rule of thumb - it's best to guard your SIM card as you would your credit card. And as far as Gazelle and companies like it are concerned, understand that they are basically online pawn brokers, and a pawn broker is NEVER going to give you top dollar for what you trade in. Nonetheless, if you want to go that route, it's best to deal with a local second-hand store where at least you can haggle with someone face-to-face and walk out with what you came in with if you don't like the offer. I know sites like Craigslist and eBay can be a hassle sometimes, but I've found that if I'm willing to put in a little extra effort, I can always get more for used electronics on the open market. The allure of Gazelle is not money, but convenience, and there's the trade-off. If you want to gamble on a quick buck with little effort, then Gazelle is probably your vehicle. Alternately, if you're willing to invest a little more in the selling process, you'll stand to get more in return.

susanf81
4/5/16

I sent in 3 mini iPads. 1 had a cracked screen and 2 were in perfect condition. I was quoted $10 for the cracked iPad and $50 each for the new ones. All three are engraved on the back. Gazelle only allowed me to decline two of the offers the third offer I was told I did not respond quick enough. The email states I have 5 days yet I wasn't quick enough to open the third email. I have called, computer chatted and emailed requesting all three be returned to me. I have been denied. Very poor customer service in which they are not solution oriented. Very argumentative and child like.

renap1
3/22/16

I sent Gazelle my iPad 2 that was in perfect condition. I had hardly touched it for the last year and it was kept in a really good leather case the whole time I owned it. When they got my iPad, they rescinded their initial offer of $89 and dropped it to $5 saying that the iPad showed signs of wear and had significant scratches on it. It was scratch-free when I sent it to them and I have no idea what "signs of wear" means to them. My iPad is on its way back to me -- I'll give it to my 4-year-old niece to play with before I'll sell it to them for $5!!!

georgec114
3/18/16

I was shocked to see the other bad reviews when I came to write this one. My experience was the exact opposite. I found the site extraordinarily easy to navigate (took me five minutes) and loved that they provided a box and shipping label to send my phone at no extra cost. Within a week of mailing my phone in I received an email that said it had been received and a check was in the mail. The next day I received the check (which, by the way, was more than other sites purchasing used equipment). I don't write many reviews, but when I experienced such great service I felt compelled to write this.

hughw15
2/16/16

I purchased from gazelle got an iPhone to give my significant other for valintines day. Order 328441. It never arrived thank God I used my paypal. Talked to Britney what a joke! She said file a claim with usps it was not gazelles problem. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM GAZELLE.

darrylk9
2/13/16

I was quoted a price for my iPhone 4s - perfect condition, not a scratch on it. They then told me it was worth $1. I asked for it back, and it came back HAVING BEEN OPENED AND THE SIM CARD REMOVED. It's now inoperable. Crooks! Do not do business with them.

toms203
2/8/16

I was quoted $85 for my iPhone 5 which was FLAWLESS and in perfect operating condition. Within days of mailing it to Gazelle I received an e-mail telling me it was only worth $65 because of "Undisclosed wear and scratches." I took macro photographic pictures of the front, back and all sides of the phone to document the fact it was in perfect, like new condition before I mailed it. Many other posts on other sites reference this same bait and switch scam and rip off by Gazelle. Beware, if you mail a cell phone to Gazelle, don't expect to receive the money they quoted you.

trishac8
1/13/16

I purchased a certified iPhone 5s and it is having severe problems within a two month time frame. Gazelle will not accept the phone or provide any compensation. I am out over $300.00!

mikez27
1/7/16

Complaint Details
dispute for the following :First of all I only received 49 items instead of 71 from three separate orders. Not only that 13 of the cell phones are not functional either they have a bad LCD or no power considering the auction description of the item which is suppose to be grade B means fully functional cell phones. When I emailed the Bstock company which is the company that manages they told me that gazelle respond back to them saying that they are out of stock of the product they had on auction so my question is howcome they had Auction for cellphones and they are not in stock Therefore I'm requesting a full refund of my money in order to solve this matter ASAP hopefully this won't take long because time is money and I did wait almost a week for this item to be shipped to me and now here you go it's not even what I was expecting please get back with me and let me know when I'm suppose to do the shipping in order to return items to gazelle company. this is really a bad experience. I really hope that you can help to solve this problem of fraudulent sellers . This is really give them neg-ative feedback because they should live up to their obligations. This is really a scam.

cr2281
12/29/15

I have purchased two iPads from gazelle.com, and neither worked, despite a rating of "very good." I was able to return one, but they denied return on the second. They probably don't want their junk any more than I do. Be advised that they sell USED equipment, sold to them by people who didn't want the item anymore, because it is not working well. It's a scam. They lie.

samanthab50
12/21/15

The shipping was super fast. I ordered an iPhone 5c on Friday and received it three days later on Monday. I picked "fair" for condition expecting the worst but when it arrived it was in great condition. Would buy from them again and especially would recommend to a friend.

joeg89
12/19/15

I originally sent my iPhone 5s to Amazon. They rejected it because it was too scratched for them. I mean there was some wear, but it worked fine. After I received it back, I decided to send to Gazelle. I sent it in, marked the condition as Fair after my Amazon experience, only to be told that the phone was broken. When I sent the phone to Gazelle, it was in fine working condition. I'm sure it got damaged either on the way, because they make you send it in flimsy packaging, or someone working there fried it. I'll never use them again.

janicej15
12/2/15

I bought an Iphone from Gazelle for my son. The only one in black that was available was in fair condition. When we received the phone, the condition was poor, and had scratches all over the screen. When I called the company to ask if I could exchange it (two days after purchasing it), they said I would have to return it and buy a new one which was $21.00 more. They would not do an even exchange! When I said this might be the last purchase I ever do with Gazelle, the supervisor said that's great, what else can I do for you! Also, if you return a phone you have to pay a restocking fee of $15.00!

mortonc13
11/23/15

After posting my review I took out the iPhone Gazelle returned and turned it on. The SIM card was gone. How did that happen Gazelle?

kristent9
11/19/15

I sent my iPhone 6 to them late October. It is November 19 and I have yet to get paid for it. When I called to ask for my money, the "Customer Care" supervisor, Garrett Kirkland, was not accommodating and not the most pleasant. Me and my family have used Gazelle in the past, but this ridiculous experience will keep me and my family from using them again. I strongly advise anyone considering this company to look elsewhere to sell/buy.

mp70
11/17/15

Ordered a "Good" quality iPhone 5s through one of their promos but was charged the higher price. Tried to cancel the order within 10 minutes of the order but was told that it already shipped. I was told to purchase another phone (at the lower price) and that I could return the higher priced one once it arrived. Did exactly as I was told and was refunded the lower price. Their customer service processes are not geared for the client. I will never buy from Gazelle again. Stay away!!!

andyk38
11/16/15

Ordered 2 "Excellent condition" phones and both had issues that should have been found with Quality Control. Their site has excellent reviews posted. Look elsewhere and you will see another story.

jamesn72
11/15/15

Wanted to sell my iMac 27". Went to Gazelle and used all of their drop-down menus to pick my machine. Got a great price and sent it in. Received an email after they received it saying that my machine wasn't the one I said it was, so they would give me less than half of what was originally ordered. I didn't say my machine was anything, the Gazelle menus told me what it was. Anyway, asked them to send the machine back.

Received the machine and there were noises coming from the box, they put the machine in form blocks but just threw all the peripherals into the box with no support. The iMac got scrapped on the front and the glass screen, the keyboard was damaged all because they did not care enough to package it correctly. I sent the machine in to them in the original iMac Apple box, I don't know why they couldn't of just used the same box to send it back.

I would be careful of this company, they appear to be very dishonest in their approach to purchasing and selling items. I believe that it is a company policy to give you one price, then when you item arrives, they give you a totally lower price in hope that you will just accept it and not bother to request a return. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to take them to court, which I will do to try and recoup my losses for the damages caused by the way they shipped my machine back.

billk53
11/12/15

After my attempt to buy a used iPhone failed at Glyde (see my review), I attempted to buy the same thing at Gazelle. Here are the problems I faced:

--They did not include a charger with the phone. Ok, they sent it subsequently.
--I paid $20 extra for an "excellent" phone, but it still had nicks. Ok, I can live with that.
--After copying all my information to the new phone, I discovered the sound was crackly. That I can't live with.

Admittedly, I should have checked the sound before doing all that work. I subsequently went to the Apple Store so that one of the "geniuses" could verify the the sound was off the mark.

I give Gazelle high marks for returning my money in a timely manner. However, they will not send a replacement phone. You have to order again.

To sum up, their quality control is lacking. I gave up and bought a new phone.

charliep17
11/12/15

do not spend your hard earned money on this site for them to give you nothing for them this site is a straight scam site and will totally rip you off too DO NOT USE THIS SITE
what they are doing people is paying you next to nothing for your high dollar phone and then while being 2 faced to you they will buy your phone for nothing then turn around and sell your phone for 8 to 10 times the price This is considered a scam USA Government Please shut Them Down Now

Tip for consumers: Do Not Use This Scam Site

laurah86
11/11/15

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!
Unless you have money to waste, hours of your time to waste making multiple trips to your service provider only, and after 45 days after activating your phone want to spend $200.00 on useless piece of junk that won't even turn on !!!

Purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 on 9/15/15
Delivered 9/18/15
Activated on 9/26/15

Seems like anytime we thought it was working.. it would experience ANOTHER problem.

Our time on weekends have been spent making MULTIPLE trips to our service provider trying to get the phone to work....

The last 3 weeks the phone has been completely unusable.
Boot errors, Hung on the boot up logo, finally the phone completely DIED.
At 45 days after activating... and a completely useless phone now...

Response from Gazelle is sorry 30 days to return.

If I could give them less than 1 star I would.

rogerp25
11/7/15

I sent a flawless iPhone 5 and received a notice that due to scatches they were reducing their offer by $20. I did not accept and it has been returned. I took it to the Verizon store and asked for a review and in their words "it was in great shape and no anomalies". I was offered $100 in store credit. Gazelle is a bait and switch company. Don't trust them.

michaelm328
11/2/15

I sent a flawless I phone 4 Gs in which was always in a case and not a scratch on it. They gave me a price quote of 90.00. They make it very easy to send in. That was great. They inspected it and offered a price of 20 dollars. A joke. They will turn around and sell it for at least 200. Do yourself a favor and sell on eBay or Craig's list.

cindyw43
10/30/15

I ordered a phone online, after business hours. About an hour later, I needed to cancel. I went on their website, searched how to cancel and did as instructed. My email was sent to them after hours as well, so they had it at the open of business the next day. The responce was "its too late, you have to manually cancel within 90 minutes." What? I sent a request as stated on their website and since no one was there at 10:00 pm, and the cancellation was received by them the same time they got the order, not sure why it could t be cancelled.
Shady business!

gazellen
10/23/15

They received my ipad air. They state that payment is issued same day or next day but its been a week and no payment. Their customer service gives canned responses and seems genuinely like they can care less about them holding our money. They said they are extra busy and this is why they are holding our money longer than usual. Really? a hold? maybe they should say that they are delayed due to large volume but a hold just sounds bad. Really, it should take no time at all to issue a payment. Really beginning to think this is a scam and way to generate extra revenue by holding our payments. I have dealt with elegreen in the past and the payment was lightning quick....

olenac
10/22/15

To whom it may concern:
Demand letter for order number GAZ 286,
ups tracking 1ZA06R790345561538,
order was not received,ups claim was made,claim was granted to seller
seller never reply
It been near two month since I purchased phones from you,

1. I never received phones, for which I paid.
2. You holding up my money paid for the phones.
3. You never bothered to send in constructive reply.

At this point I will submit my complain to following organization:

1. B stock solution
2. US department of justice
3. Consumer affairs office
4. Small claim court

This is not the way to deal with your customers, at customer's expense, especially when your
customer is going extra miles to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,
Olena Chepizhko

janer37
10/21/15

The iPhone 6 arrived and I built it with all my data. 12 hours later it overheated and completely died. They want me to return it 'as is' to get a refund; however, it now contains ALL MY PERSONAL DATA. As they then sell off broken phones to an unknown third party and specifically offer no protection for whatever happens to the data, I'm in a dilemma. If I physically remove the memory it voids the guarantee. There is no other way to wipe/reset it, since it's broken. I might be paranoid about identity theft, but Apple recommend never returning a phone without wiping the memory. And Gazelle's own terms spells out that they take zero responsibility for what happens to your data once they sell it on.
Apple specifically address this and guarantee the security of any phone data returned to them - whereas Gazelle gives no guarantee of this and specifically warn buyers that they will sell the phone on to an unknown recycler.

kariew
10/16/15

I was considering buying a IPHONE6 from GAZELLE, but after reading the reviews they should be ashamed OF THEMSELVES. I literally couldn't bite my tongue. YOU PEOPLE should be put out of business ASAP, we work hard for our money, clearly people would buy your products so you would make money being honest. BUT you want to be GREEDY, and I PROMISE I will find a way to report YOU. NOONE SHOULD EVER EVER EVER BUY FROM YOU SORRY, HORRIBLE PEOPLE AGAIN. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR ALL THESE HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GOT SCAMED. I HONESTLY FEEL YOU SHOULD FIGHT FOR YOUR THINGS BACK, OR RECORD THE WHOLE SHIPPING PROCESS IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THIS SITE!!! Always do your research, read reviews, never trust online or TV. READ YOUR REVIEWS

michaell160
10/13/15

I was offered $1,154 for three iPhone 6 and 6 Plus phones. Gazelle checked in and agreed to pay the offer price on 10/6/15. Now one week later they have not funded my PayPal account. The story continues to change by the customer service reps. First it was "it takes 24 hours to fund Paypal". The next day the story changed to it takes 48 hours to fund PayPal.

This is a dishonest company. Take your business elsewhere unless you want to get cheated.

shaiesew
10/12/15

I bought a iPhone 6 off of gazelle.com in Excellent condition, which is $50 more than poor condition. I received my phone in time and was so excited until i got a phone in HORRIBLE condition with a crack in the screen! Gazelle said they will refund me $50 because that's the difference between excellent and poor but they could not exchange it. I could only return for a full refund, which i had already sold my old phone so I would be stuck phoneless! Im not satisfied with $50 because even the poor condition phones do not have cracks in them.

shekinahs
10/6/15

I ORDERED MY PHONE FRIDAY 10/2/15 PAID 2 DAY SHIPPING... ITS TUESDAY & STILL NO EMAIL NOTHING... I CALLED EVERYDAY 3x A DAY AND KEPT GETTING THE RUNAROUND... ONE PERSON SAID IT WAS A "PRE ORDER" HOW IS THE IPHONE 6 a pre order of it's been out for a while now!? ANOTHER PERSON SAID THEY ARE IN HIGH DEMAND BUT PUT ME ON HOLD TO SPEAK TO "PAT" THEIR SUPERVISOR... THEY TOLD ME HE HAD ONE PHONE LEFT AND WAS GONNA SHIP IT BY THE END OF THE NIGHT ON 10/5/15 I CALLED AGAIN TODAY 10/6/15 at 9am & they said my phone would SHIP IN 2-3 WEEKS!!! I PAID FOR 2 days shipping not 2-3 weeks shipping!! I called AGAIN AROUND 3 to speak to "PAT" & said they couldn't transfer me..... THEN THEY CANCELLED MY ORDER WITHOUT MY PERMISSION... NOW I AM SITTING HERE WITH NO PHONE AND NO MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND I WILL NEVER BE BUYING FROM GAZELLE AGAIN. YOUR COMPANY JUST LOST A CUSTOMER EVEN THOUGH YOU GUYS HAVE MILLIONS OF CUSTOMERS I STILL COUNT. YOUR COMPANY WAS QUICK TO TAKE MY MONEY BUT NOT SEND ME MY PHONE.... I AM SO UPSET RIGHT NOW THANKS TO GAZELLE I NOW CAN'T NOT GIVE MY DAUGHTER HER PHONE. INSTEAD OF YOUR SUPERVISOR "PAT" GETTING ON THE PHONE WITH ME AS A SUPERIOR HEAD OF STAFF, HE JUST TELLS YOU LADIES WHAT TO SAY. I AM A MANAGER MYSELF AND THAT IS NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL & ON TOP OF THAT I HAVE TO WAIT 3 DAYS FOR MY MONEY WHEN YOU GUYS DIDNT EVEN WAIT 3 MINUTES TO TAKE OUT MY MONEY. YOUR COMPANY IS A SCAM AND LIKE TO GIVE RUNAROUNDS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! GAZELLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!

joed87
10/5/15

Gave me a value of $345 for flawless and my phone was less then a year and perfect. Then when they got it said it had scratches. BULL$#*!!! Tried to lower me to $305. I said FU send back. Guess what? The current flawless price is ???$305 so they don't hold up what they say they are crooks.

F U gazzelle

deant24
10/5/15

We were leaving town and needed a replacement phone for my wife. I spoke with a representative to assured me if I paid the additional charge for overnight delivery i would receive the phone the following day.

WRONG and not only that it didn't even come the 2nd day after my purchase as my neighbor, who picked it up off my doorstep, informed me.

THEN Gazelle would not agree to take the phone back for not honoring our agreement.

This was just a comedy of errors by Gazelle with virtually no effort to honor their word.

tawnib
10/2/15

Quick shipping, great price on iPad 2, no scratches perfect! I have not purchased previously owned before but I would again from Gazelle. Thanks

francinea
9/21/15

I've used them multiple times. Always quick and easy. Actually just got 425 for my mint iPhone 6 plus.

bobg62
9/19/15

Appraised my near perfect condition Verizon iPhone 5s for $201. Sent it in and got a counter offer of $151. Their reason given was because they claimed my phone was T Mobile and not Verizon. I have never had T Mobile in my life and I have had Verizon for about 15 years. I had them send my phone back and I will go elsewhere even if I don't get better somewhere else out of principle. After that, my curiosity caused me to check Gazelle's appraisal of my phone again and it is now $151. They just didn't want to honor the original price so they used a bull$#*! excuse.

bobw70
9/12/15

They offered me $35 for A good iPhone 5S And Then Gave My $3.75 I'm taking them to court

jimn35
9/11/15

I sold Gazelle a near-perfect iPhone 5 however, they reduced their original bid by 18% after the phone was received. They said the phone's condition had scratches and/or scuffs. That is a LIE ... just a "bait and switch" tactic by a dishonest company. Stay away!

srinig
9/10/15

Ordered 3 verizon phones and was shipped phones that are not verizon. Customer service was poor, very rude and will not agree to take an order, verify MEID with verizon and ship.

odellt4
8/31/15

Don't ship anything to these thieves.

rickg28
8/26/15

They are liars liars liars I did a bait and switch game where they offer you so much and then they change it at the last minute

chrism193
8/3/15

This website is a scam and I recommend anyone considering to use it to avoid it. I made the order, input my credit card details, received a confirmation for the order, and then one day later I received notification that the order that I had placed was cancelled and the product was no longer in stock. The customer service time refused to provide any information about the reason for cancellation of my order.

Furthermore, when you go on their site and check the advertised prices, as soon as you click an item to make a purchase, they increase the price.

While perhaps you can make legitimate purchases on the site, I strongly advise against using it. It is not worth sharing your credit card details with a company that falsely advertises products that it does not have in stock, misleads customers on pricing and that refuses to compensate customers when the company has acknowledged their fault.

I will never be using this website again.

katied16
7/12/15

I sent in two iPhone 6 that were one month old with their boxes and all the accessories that were still brand new and they send me a counter offer saying I sent them iPhone 4s that were damaged no way

whatw1
7/11/15

I went to see how much my iPhone 4s would be worth and it has no cracks and it's in almost perfect condition and it said my iPhone was only worth $3. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I could go sell my iPhone off the street for a WAY higher price.

joec101
4/27/15

Had an I-phone 4S.It worked Gazelle opened with an offer that would allow me some return on the phone. After they received the phone, they lowered the offer. Then they sent me another email advising the phone was worthless.Did I want them to throw it away or to be returned to me. I asked them to return the phone to me. I never saw the phone again. I never heard a thing from Gazelle, It was just a taking. Do not send anything to Gazelle

alexm123
4/3/15

I bought 2 not 1 but 2 iPhone 5's from these people. Exactly two months later one of them crashed. I called gazelle and they said the 30 day warranty expired so they could not help me to take it up with apple. I took it to apple and they said is was the main board and that the whole phone just needed to be replaced. One month after that (3 months after purchase) the second phone now isn't working properly. The touch screen doesn't work the keypad doesnt work. So its not one phone that could just be a fluke but 2 phones. These people are scam artists and take your money and blow you off once they have it.
Never again! Anyone interested in refurbished phones dont get them from gazelle!

shirlh
3/6/15

My review reads so much like most I have read on this site. Sent in a 3 week old iPhone 5. First week it was left in the box. second and third it was put into a Otter Box with a screen shield. Gazelle agreed to a nice price. I sent it in (knowing what I have heard of their service in the past I paid extra for tracking. When I did not hear from them I went on their chat line and was told it had not arrived (I knew it had arrived because of the Tracking number). They said they would check the receiving room and get back to me. When they got back to me they said it had been lost in receiving but they had found it and would continue the transaction. They texted my severa days later with a reduced price and I said no. RUN FROM GAZELLE. SCAM SCAM SCAM

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Gazelle staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question