US Government's NSF

Categories: Book, Textbook, Used Book
Tel: 1-888-646-1662

88 Reviews for DiscountBookSale

Review Highlights

Called the "customer service" number where English was a second language.

I called and said they will cancel my membership and refund 2 months.

BBV has agreed to cancel my mebership and refund 2 months of charges.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

5/5/14

I contacted this company with my Visa company representative. They had been charging me for 3 years over $700 at $9.95 twice a month. They said they had been charging me for emails offering me discounts. I never saw an email I guess my SPAM folder could have been getting them. I fought this for 6 months and then they said it has been more than 6 months so they can not give me a rebate. My credit card company said since BBV had my correct name, address and email they can not help me. Check your email, call and cancel, huge SCAM!

1/20/14

HORRIBLE!! They have been billing for almost 2 years $9.95 a month and I never authorized or know what the service is . There are a lot of cases I see online that had the same experience. I am going to consult an attorney for a class action suit. This is FRAUD ON ALL LEVELS!!! There rating should be a zero and should not be allowed to operate an online company

10/16/13

Bought one book through Amazon and received UNAUTHORIZED $19.95 charge every month until I discovered. I have filed complaint with Florida Atty Gen and I urge everyone else to do same to get rid of these internet $#*!roaches. I will find a Florida atty to file class action lawsuit.

7/27/13

I purchased a book in January of 2010. Did not know it was a membership club. They have been charging me $9.95 a month since then on my credit card, which comes out to $417.90. I could not find their website online since they go by BestBrandValues.com. I called and talked to a representative to get it canceled. I also got a refund of only $39.80.

9/18/12

One book cost me $220. I have similar experience with this company. Over 22 months ago, I purchased a book online from DiscountBookSale.com. At checkout, I was instructed to click the box for their terms and conditions. After doing so, I was automatically signed up for a membership service. I was not aware of this and did not ever receive any correspondence from DiscountBookSale regarding the membership they dishonestly signed me up for. Unfortunately, they charged me $9.95 for nearly two years. After calling them, they agree to cancel my scam membership, but only agree to refund 3 months of the membership charge. Is there any other place we can complain about this? I tried to leave a review on Google, but it's not successful.

5/28/12

Hidden fees come monthly on your cc#. The fee is no $19.95 for no services! The scam is still running ...you can call to stop them but they don't have to stop doing this. That is wrong on many levels. Seeking small claims court now. What a horrible thing to do to people and yes they are friendly up front but how many millions of $$$ are they stealing ...wow, such poor business ethics and they now it!

2/3/12

Same situation: not knowingly 'subscribe' to a 'membership', and discover one year later when I am preparing for tax return in Feb. The 'best' they can do is to refund the last 6 months. The credit card company is nice, but they can only rebut several 'overlapping' month that the vendor has already agreed to refund, so it does not help.

## HOWEVER ##, the security team of the credit card company is really helpful. I can actually cancel my credit card, and they will refund me for the earlier 6 months charges back; so I effectively get a fun year refund back. The credit card company is willing to 'absorb' my loss, they rock!

Recommendation:
1. Keep reporting to BBB on discountbooksale.com's "LEGAL" practice, but practically a scam, since so many people are burnt. They can at least high-light the so-called subscription invite and even in red color so EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT.

2. DO BUSINESS WITH 'CHASE', USE THEIR CREDIT CARD. They earn my, and hopefully yours, BUSINESS!!

11/28/11

They are charging you $9.95 per month for a membership you are not aware that you signed up for. Canceled my membership and only got 2 month fees back after paying for 10 months. Stay away from this site

8/24/11

I purchased a book on Dec 20, 2010 for $19.53 which was charged to my card, but it did not stop there, my card was charged $9.95/mth for a period of 8 mths. This company is a total rip-off.

6/13/11

Be careful!!
They charging for membership EVERY MONTH without permission!
I will NEVER order anything from this store and never recommend anybody.
They don't deserve any star at all.

6/13/11

this compnay is a disgrace! I bought a book for my child in Dec. They have been charging by cc $19.95 for 6 months. I called and said they will cancel my membership and refund 2 months. I replied saying I know you have been reported to the BBB and demand full 6 month refund and to speak to the manager. he said 2 minute wait. After 15 min. of waiting I hung up and received 2 emails from them. One stopping my membership and 2nd refunding 2 months. i am also going to report them to BBB.

6/2/11

I got bit by these guys for $9,95. I bought a book from them and they signed me up to 3 "Clubs" Discount Book Sale, Rebate Giant and Best Brand Values. I called their number 888-228-5348 to Rebate Giant and was informed of the fine print by "Rem" who is in Manila. He told me he would refund my fee and cancel my membership. He also said there were no other memberships associated with the original book transaction

I called the bank to let them know and they found a second charge. Another $9,95 to Discount Books (1-866-707-5858) I called that company and believe it or not, I got the same guy "Rem" He swore up and down that he had not misled me about no more accounts. He cancelled the Discount Books account and said I would be getting a refund in 30 to 60 days.

Tomorrow I will be going in and cancelling the credit card I used to buy that book.

The thing people need to do when contacting the company is ask specifically:
What accounts were started by the original transaction? If you don't ask, he won't tell you.

Second, how many people have been charged without their knowledge, only to be hit with an overdraft fee because they were not expecting the fee.

Good luck

5/3/11

I've had the same experience as a number of the consumers that
have already complained. Its a shame because being an avid reader
they lost a possibly good customer with their scams.

4/6/11

We ordered a book from this company as they had a cool $5.00 off and free shipping for those first ordering. Imagine to our surprise that we were charged an extra dollar and $9.95 without us knowing or accepting the surprise charge.. We called and they were very rude and interrupted my wife many times. The rep read a script that we could get great prices. Do not order from them and check you bank statements.

4/4/11

I was looking for a book online, with little luck, and I ran across this website. They said they had it in stock, and it was at a very low price. Well, I was pretty skeptical at first, but then a good friend of mine (whom I had asked help for in finding this book) told me he found it on Discountbooksale.com, and ordered it. So naturally, I too ordered it, thinking little of the skepticism I had.

Little did I know (and thankfully I'm a compulsive snooper into fine print), I read deep into their membership garbage, and saw that they charge a 19.99/MONTH FEE! Automatically deducted from the credit card used. A TOTAL SCAM! I found an 800 number and called them up and canceled my membership, avoiding the fee. I instructed my friend to do the same, and we were both very outraged. The person who helped me on the phone was very courteous and prompt, but I couldn't help telling him how underhanded this was. He apologized for any inconvenience, and that was that.

And the worst part of the whole story; they sent me an email telling me my book was on back order, and that it's out of print. Wasted time, money, and effort. Avoid this website at all costs.

3/31/11

I too was taken with this website. I ordered a book and then FIVE months later was billed (without my knowledge or consent) a membership fee. I'm glad I check my statement on a weekly basis! I called and they said they would refund it. I'm waiting to see if it goes through. I e-mail the Florida BBB about them.

3/30/11

I bought 1 book from BBV Discount Booksale (Boca Raton, FL) 866 707 5858 through Amazon in April 2010. Once they got my c.c. # they started charging me $19.95 every mo. I did not notice it until today 3/30/11 when I was gathering tax info from the cc statement. I called them and they would only refund 2 mos. To get back my own money for an additional mo., he told me I had to write a box # atten disputes. I have to spend the time to write and probably never hear from them? I said you owe me for 10 more months but he refused to return the money they stole from me. I called my cc company and reported them. This is not an honest way of doing business and I will never deal with them again. I hope this helps someone else avoid this scam and these totally unauthorized charges. They acted like they owned my cc # and could charge whatever they wanted to it. I gave the man a good lecture and I hope he feels guilty.

3/28/11

With so many complaints, its obviuos that this site scams people. I'm afraid to use my actual credit card on any website. In the past, 've always used a gift card to make purchases. There's a site that uses the same tactic as discountbooksale. I did not know at the time of purchase they would try to stick me with a $100+ bill. The offer was only for 9.95. I had 16.04 left on my gift card after they took the 9.95. They took it all, and had nerve to send a bill stating I still owed money. I never responded because I knew what I the site said the product offer was. I complained to the company I bought the gift card with. They took afee of 3.00, and 13.04 was put back on my card.

3/17/11

I bought a couple of books from these clowns. Apparently there is some box that needs to be checked or unchecked to join their little book club. If you miss it you're stuck with $9.95 a month for eternity.

3/13/11

I just realized that discountbooksale has been billing me $9.95 per month since September 2010 when I ordered a book. I called the BBV customer service number and the rep said it was a monthly membership, which I would never had agreed to if it were obvious on the web site - the rep said the web site has been changed consequently, so I cannot view the original at the time I ordered. BBV has agreed to cancel my mebership and refund 2 months of charges. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of Southeast Florida and am persuing a complete refund. I have also notified my cc company and requested support. I wish I had "Googled" this company before dealing with them - there are numerous complaints regarding this situation I am in.

3/12/11

I bought a book worth $8.72 and ended up being billed for $379.05 over a period of
19 months.
When I called they were only willing to refund 2 months (each month they billed me $19.95 for discount membership I've never agreed to)
I contacted my credit card co. who was able to get an extra month out of it ,so I was credited $59.85
I'm still working on it to get the rest back with my credit card co.
I also contacted Amazon, because I went to them first looking for the book.
Never do business with DBS bookstores or BBV books (same company), they are frauds!!
I also contacted the Florida BBB.

Maria O.

3/10/11

They automatically sign you up for a trial service claiming free shipping and benefits but they secretly charge you $9.95 per month without your realizing. Do not use this website.

3/9/11

A total SCAM. I purchased a book via Amazon and these jerks tried to charge me for a monthly membership fee of $9.95 a month. I called 866-707-5858 and cancelled the so-called membership right away. I am reporting them to Amazon and the Florida BBB.

2/26/11

When you sign up to buy the book, they do not make it obvious that your are also signing up for membership which costs $9.95/mo!!!! Stay away! These books cn be foudn for much cheaper on other sites that do NOT require such a costly membership! Rip off!!!

2/26/11

Complete SCAM. Stay away! I ordered a $4.00 book and was completely unaware that I was joining a book club for $19.95 a month until I noticed this charge showing up on my credit card bill. I disputed it. They countered, saying I was aware of what I had done. They even sent me a copy of a "welcome letter" that I had never seen in my life. They also claimed I contacted them to cancel (which I never did since I had no idea I had joined!)...Maybe the dispute got them nervous. NEVER AGAIN!
Be sure to read other reviews as they go by a variety of names. Very tricky.

2/22/11

Never did business with this company, but somehow they stole my credit card information and started charging me $9.95 per month for some subscription. I am not even in their system. I filed a complaint with the BBB in Florida, here is the info about the BBB that handles this and the company info with owner and E-mail address:

Business Contact and Profile
Principal: Ms. Amilca Simeon, Customer Service, simeon@xacti.com
Customer Contact: Ms. Amilca Simeon, Customer Service, simeon@xacti.com
Entity: Limited Liability Corporation
Type of Business: General Merchandise Retail By Internet
BBB Accreditation: This company is not a BBB Accredited business.
Additional DBA Names: BBV Discount Books
Discount Book Sale

BBB of Southeast Florida & the Caribbean (West Palm Beach, FL)
4411 Beacon Circle Ste 4
West Palm Beach , FL 33407
Phone: (561)842-1918
Fax: (561)845-7234
Email: info@wpbbb.com
Web: http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org

File a complaint with the BBB, contact your bank and authorities if you have experienced the same.

2/6/11

I purchased a book for $11 and they have been billing me for the last six months around $10 every month! This is a scam. Do I call the BBB? An attorney? How do we shut this site down? Talk about deceit. I'm gonna pray...ask God to intervene...don't know what that looks like, but it will be just.

2/2/11

This is the biggest scam i have ever encountered in my life, a book that cost me $11.83 has now cost me $201.13, i just now found out that they have been charging my creadit card since 11 -24-09. one big lesson learned for me and my wife, read the REVIEWS. I can not believe in this great nation there could be such a horrible company, i would not even think of working for a company that would do this to people, and then go home to my family and say that i am providing for them by scaming people out of there money. hope this review helps people, if they read them before hand.

2/1/11

BBV Discount Books, www.DiscountBookSale.com. This is a HUGE SCAM! Do not buy anything from this website or give them your credit card #. They trick you into offering a very low sale price for a book, then when you click to purchase, they have you check a very non-apparent box that then forces you into a monthly membership fee of $19.95 per month. Then 2 months later, I get an email stating that the book I ordered is not available (I am pretty sure it never was in the first place as it was a hard to find collector's item), and by then unbeknownst to you (unless you carefully check your credit card statements every month), you are charged a monthly fee to belong to this alleged book club. Customer service by phone was useless as they wouldn't reverse any charges, AND customer service by mail was even more useless--I got a blank template copy of the terms and conditions of the site. The company name, address or phone # was not even on the letter. It wasn't even signed by anyone. SCAM SCAM SCAM stay far away!

1/18/11

Don't ever buy from DISCOUNTBOOKSALE.COM. They signed me up for 19.95 monthly membership. Why would anyone ever agree to something like that?? What a scam!!

1/4/11

Thak you for the reviews i was going to buy a book and saw your reviews, althought there is a place for terms and conditions at hte end of the end of the page, it reads like this:
As a BestBrandValues buyer you enjoy big savings and wholesale pricing on over 70,000 DVD and game titles, over 1,200,000 book titles with new ones added every week, and over 300,000 art prints and posters by top artists. We make it easy and affordable to fill your home with great products and services at or below wholesale prices! By placing your order today you will begin a 7-day trial of BestBrandValues for only $1. After the trial the account fee of $19.95 per month will be charged or debited by BestBrandValues to the credit or debit card you provide today and then be automatically charged or debited at the then-current monthly account fee for each month that you continue your account. Only one account per household permitted. You may cancel your account any time by calling 1-866-529-3413.

1/4/11

Yep, agree with everyone else. It showed that I was supposed to get $5.00 off my first order and free shipping. I read everything to see if there was some type of membership fee and could not find anything that suggested a monthly fee. Clicked the purchase button and was told that it couldn't process the order. But then showed me as a member and then the discount and free shiping were no longer available. Called the "customer service" number where English was a second language. Am being told that my membership didn't register but of course there is no way to know for certain until a month is over and they won't send me anything confirming membership cancellation. The website still gives me the option to cancel my membership but I can't login so I just have to wait and see if anything hits my credit card.

12/23/10

I ordered a $13.00 book online in January of 2010. Without any permission from me they started charging my credit card $9.95 a month for the whole year before we noticed it.
There policy, which coincidentally coincides with the Credit Card company's policies, is that they only reimburse 2 months of their unauthorized charges.
It seems like a scam to me, I suggest that people complain to the California Department of Consumer Affairs and any other place you can find.

12/22/10

I wish I had read this site before ordering. I just saw the $9.95 on my account and immediatly called them after ordering the book a week ago. She told me I agreed to the membership on an e-mail. WHAT!!! I never received an e-mail and the one I did receive only said that I have paid the 1.42 for the book. I told her "I am sure that is what they are telling you to say that, but honey there is not e-mail in my inbox about a membership and there is no information on your website about joining." She didn't even argue, she is so used to these calls she just refunded my money and told me to keep the book. I think they count of people not checking their accounts so even if you get charged for 3 months because you didn't see it. They are making up for the people like me who saw it a week later and they have to cover the full price of my book. So sad. I'm going to try to do a BB report of this company. Please Please Please don't purchase a book from them.

12/20/10

My husband ordered a book from this site, and was unaware that he had also joined their "book club". I was negligent in my checkbook keeping, and by the time that I realized they were charging $9.95 a month for the "club", they had charged me for 3 months on the debit card that he had used. I called them and complained. They told me he had given his permission. It turned out that it is hidden in the terms of service, which he failed to read thoroughly. I told them that he had received nothing in those 3 months as a member...no deals, no book reviews...only the bills. They told me they could refund the last payment but could not guarantee the other two unless I requested supervisor's permission, so I stated that I was requesting permission. I also told them that if I didn't receive ALL 3 payments, my next step would be to contact the attorney general's office in Florida where they are located as well as the attorney general's office in Arkansas where I am located. Within 24 hours, the total of $29.95 was returned to my account. I just revisited this site today to see if they had stopped this scam. but apparently not. But it worked for me, so it may work for you.
Rockytopp

11/9/10

I do not even know yet how many months I was charged $9.95... at least 3..... I was able to cancel my membership and have two months refunded with a phone call to the number posted here... I hope others read this before dealing with this site!

9/19/10

I bought a book an the next time I looked at my bank statement I saw a charge that I had no idea where it came from untill I googled BBV discount booksa

9/19/10

I do not like it. They are charging me $9.95 for a "book club" that I did not authorize.
I have called for three months and the representative says that I will be refunded. This has not happened, in fact, I was charged again this month. I have never received any e-mail communication with this site. I am fed up with them.

9/17/10

I got charged 3 months of $19.95 too if you just be nice to the they will give u a full refund they gave it to me

9/10/10

I purchased two books from DiscountBookSale.com on 06/07/2010 and of course was billed for that order. However, apart from that, without my knowledge I was also charged $19.95 TWICE on 06/14, once on 07/14/2010 and once on 08/14/2010. So totally I was charged 4*$19.95=$79.8 for a membership I never had known of and never had agreed to sign up for. I filed a dispute with Discover who agreed to investigate this and later on sent a letter to me saying that they think the transactions are valid. I called the BBV*DISCOUNTBOOKSALE at the number 866-707-5858 and asked my credit to be refunded for the service I never agreed. The guy who answered my call refused my requests and said that since I've already contacted my credit card company Discover they have nothing to do with it anymore. I called Discover and told them what happened. They said that if I don't agree with their investigation I'll have to write it down and send all accompanying documents to Discover for further investigation. I also asked if they're able to block BBV*DISCOUNTBOOKSALE from accessing my credit card again I was told that they would be UNABLE to do so. I also asked if I change my credit card number will it help stopping this from happening again and they said no it wouldn't help. Finally I asked what if I cancel my credit card and I was told that BBV*DISCOUNTBOOKSALE will still find ways to bill me. Friends, be aware!
I am going to prepare all the required documents asked from Discover and will follow up on this. I did receive an email on 09/01/2010 that my membership with BestBrandValues was canceled. I think that's the only result I got from my first filed complaint with Discover.

9/9/10

Oh my goodness! Thank heavens for Websites like this! I bought from them this evening, a 2010 book for 0.25 (too good to be true? Yep.) then had this nagging feeling telling me to yahoo them. lo and behold, all these complaints about them, stating they were scammers and fraudulent. I immediately check my card activity to see if they had charged me yet. No, they had not. Then I immediately called my credit card company, let them know of my situation & they canceled my existing card and will be sending me a new one with new acct #. As soon as I hung up with them, I received that email from best brand values! Woah, right on cue! Was this extreme? I wouldn't say so. I didn't want the hassle dealing with them. Hopefully this is the end of it. But I think I'll be receiving a few emails from them before this whole thing blows over.

8/30/10

I noticed a charge of $1 and then $9.95 few days after the purchase of book for $.25. Called them and requested to cancel and refund of "my" membership fee and they refused. After promissing to contact my credit card for a credit and file clame with a BBB - (in one second!!!) received promiss that 9.95 would be credited back to my account. I will see if they will keep their promiss, or will hope that I forget...

8/28/10

I too have been scammed by Discountbooksale.com Today I contacted Discountbooksale.com and asked for a refund of the $80 in bogus "membership" charges at $9.95 per month and, of course, they "no can do". I then filed a complaint with the BetterBusinessBureau in that area after reading on this site that others had done the same. How can we stop this fraud?

8/11/10

I kept on getting charges to my card on a monthly basis from this company and didn't realize what it was until I did a search and found out about this scam! THIS IS A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE!!! I am so outraged. I never signed up for any club. I called them and demanded a refund of EVERY SINGLE CHARGE. They said that I would get it. We will see what happens. If this happened to you then I suggest you call the number on your statement and do not take no for an answer with these crooks!

7/11/10

i never signed up for any type of membership and was billed monthly for it---do not do bussiness with this company as they are crooks. i too will contact the bbb and the attorney generals office and hope that something can be done

7/10/10

I too, am a victim of this fraudulent company. I asked to be refunded 5/$9.95 charges on my card and they refused. I informed them I was going to notify the BBB if they did not credit my account with this amount in 2 weeks. I hung up on him. He just wanted to remove a couple of the charges. I'm livid. How can this be happening? These people are crooks and I'm sure somehow they have a lawyer behind them telling them its ok.

7/8/10

I never got as far as the monthly charge that everyone is talking about. They will NOT ship to P.O. Box's. I called to find out why since they ship via the US Post Office. The rep would not give me to anyone who could answer the question saying "it is company policy"
They also say they will only ship to your billing address. WELL, my P.O. Box IS my billing address

7/8/10

Beware - they make unauthorized charges by signing you up to a "book club" with a 9.95 recurring monthly charge which they enter as an automatic payment from the credit card company. We got one month's charge refunded but a second month was charged. We could not get a refund for the 2nd month and credit card people would not accept a disputed claim because the charge was "authorized". The authorization apparently happens as soon as you place the order.

Site is designed to trick you into a deal you don't want or need. DON'T USE THE COMPANY!

7/7/10

Same old story. I ordered a book and they hit my bank account for a "book club" I didn't want to be a member of. A tipoff is that the website says nothing about a book club. If they really had one, they'd be advertising it.

When I called, the service rep said they would refund the $9.95 I had been charged--for the past three months. I order a lot of books and hadn't even noticed until today they were charging me. There ought to be a law--and there probably is. I will also call my bank and protest the charges, then cancel the credit card so they can't charge any more on my account. In addition, I will contact the Florida state attorney general and the Better Business Bureau.

From now on I will buy only from Amazon or Half.com. Cheapest isn't always best!

6/24/10

What do you think about a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT?
This is a scam. I called them and they were very rude about this topic. She said that I and all of us on here are basically stupid and it was our fault for not reading the terms...and that we clicked on it. When I told her of all of you she said that all of us didn't read. I was so mad. She did refund me 2 months worth of charges.

The Best Book Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber