US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

aaronb9

I will use them and recommend again and again due to their great customer service. (in 3 reviews)

justinb17

I wouldn't recommend using them unless you want to go through a lot to get your quoted price. (in 10 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

syeda11
10/18/14

The price quoted was not anywhere close to what they gave me. Contacting them via phone took several attempts and over 40 minutes on hold and my last voicemail was not responded to. They kept changing the reason for the difference in price when I told them that what they were saying was not accurate. They stated DVD drive not working and I know that it was. Finally they said the market fluctuates and the price could change 90% in one day. Very dishonest in my opinion.

ac465
9/23/14

I have to agree that this is a scam site, and I, too, wish that I had read these reviews before I made this mistake. I received a quote of $128 for my iPhone 4s that was in perfect used condition. I received no notice of their review of the phone, just an email from Paypal informing me that I received $10. I eventually got through to their customer service and, after much discussion, was given an additional $30. The guy on the phone claimed this was their "break-even" point and that there was a problem with my phones volume, some scratchy sounds, and some scratches on the case. That was simply untrue. He even backed down a bit on the descriptions of what was supposedly wrong with the phone. It is apparent that this company pulls in customers by setting quotes that are higher than other companies and then lies. They should be investigated and shut down.

pame231
9/22/14

This company is not a respectable company... They con people with fake offers and once they get your device they don't honor the price they quoted. I was told I would get $283 for a iphone 5C that was in excellent condition less than a year old . I received an email that $32 was deposited into my pay pal account.... Unacceptable. I called and after waiting 45 minutes on hold I spoke to someone and after being told a bunch of non-sense I was then offered a $100.... Still unacceptable.... I requested that they return my device and I would return the $32. I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I advised them I would not close out my complaint
Until I received my original device back in the same condition I sent it in. I would not recommend that anyone...... Unless you are hard up for pennies to sell to them. You will not get what you will be expecting.

donaldm42
7/9/14

Here is a copy of the complaint I filed with PayPal:

A couple weeks ago, I sent an old iPhone to Cash4laptops, a company that pays cash for used electronic equipment. I told them I wanted payment by check and not PayPal. They said they would call me after examining the phone to let me know what they were willing to pay. I have caller ID and voicemail so I know they never attempted to call. I sent an e-mail asking them how much they were willing to pay; they refused to reply. I DID NOT authorize them or anyone else to deposit money into my PayPal account. The amount they deposited ($11.00) was not acceptable to me. I asked them to send my phone back; so far, I have heard nothing. This company's tactics are unethical at best. They're a company that PayPal would do well to avoid. Please send the $11.00 back to them and let them know that I DID NOT authorize their payment.. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Cash4laptops is unethical, perhaps even fraudulent. I've sold used electronics in the past to several different companies and they've all been upfront about the price they were willing to pay. They've all asked for my acceptance of their offers and agreed to send the items back if their offers were rejected. Cash4laptops is a company you would do well to avoid.

nikkio1
5/13/14

I wish I read these reviews before deciding to use Cash4Laptops. I decided to use them over other sites because the estimated return was more. I was selling an iPhone 4 and a 4S (broken screen). I was estimated at around 180 for both and sent in my phones. I received a call saying they had my devices and were ready to credit my Paypal account by the next day. Stupid me, I didn't ask how much. I figured they would stay true to their estimate as the descriptions of my phones were true and when I had used Gazelle in the past had no problems and received the exact amount they had estimated. The next day I was credited $30 FOR BOTH PHONES. I called back figuring there was a mistake and was dished a load of BS about the quality of the phone with the cracked screen and that the other had no resale value and was essentially a "paper weight".

kathyf10
3/27/14

Scam city! They guoted me $230 for a brand new I phone 5 that I had for 2 months. Got the call today and it was $70. It was a brand new phone people! The only reason I was selling it was that I had it ATT and moved and had no reception so I switched to Verizon and they required a new phone purchased from them. Hmmm...yet another scam? DO NOT use Cash4laptops!

janicel3
10/21/13

Horrible! I sent in my phone on friday and yet no has contacted me back i haven't spoken to any representatives! Ive left many voicemails and and emails. They stole my phone. I am going to press charges and perform and lawsuit. Never would I think i would have to involve my lawyer into this.

ronp23
10/9/13

As I now read through some of the reviews for this company, I can say this is a scamming website. Cash4Laptops quoted me $116 for a cracked screen Iphone 4 - 16 GB. I went with this company as they were a bit higher the the other company I have used before USell. (USell.com, which is better and paid me the exact amount they quoted for another phone). The representative from Cash4Laptops calls and tell me I have a cracked screen, which I told him I already stated when they quoted the price. He said their was minor scratches on my phone and now my phone is worth $30. I balked at him and then he went to ask a manager and now are willing to give me $50 as time has passed and their are scratches. I have had that phone in a case the entire time I had the phone so their are no scratches. Usell.com is now offering $73, but by the time they return my phone and I ship to Usell.com it will probably go down to $50. Very dissatisfied with this company. It seems they use the same old ploy of minor scratches on the phone to lower the price. Will NEVER use them again.

kawthara
8/7/13

I sent in an iphone 4 and 4s. I was quoted about $170 for the 4s and $120 for the 4.. figure that those were reasonable amounts. I shipped both phones. Was told that the 4s was NEVER recieved?! And that the 4 had scratches which brought the value to $20..Currently waiting for a phone call back and I will be following up. FYI both phones were sent in the same box....BEWARE OF THIS SITE....

jays206
7/7/13

Horrible Experience. I Went to their Santa Clara shop to sell my hp laptop. Previously I talked to them on the phone n guy agreed to give $100. When I went there after driving for an hour. He refused to give any quote n asked us for price we want and when we gave price he started asking his junior how much money he has n how much they should pay n to our surprise he said $2. Errrr He was mocking all way around. Such unprofessional stupid jerk he was. I mean if you don't agree on the price we asked for , then refuse clearly.whats point of joking around like an idiot. I don't know why they hire such unprofessional manner less people there. I will never have any future transaction with CASH4LAPTOP n I strongly advice everyone to STAY AWAY THESE LOSERS.

johns436
7/7/13

with such terrible reviews, cash4laptops opened up under the new name laptoptraderexpress,com, in an office just down the block. Also operates under macbooktraderexpress.com. The problem with this company is that they falsely inflate the price that they will pay, and then pay you much less than promised, once in their possession. If you refuse the lowball offer, they charge you excessive return costs, in order to motivate you to sell for the lowball price - its a scam and they are very good at it.

slsm
7/5/13

I used this website for a laptop. My quote was $51 which I felt was reasonable. I packed it up, shipped it to them in the mailing materials they provide. About a month later, I get an email telling me they are offering $5. That was today. I did not accept their offer. I called the phone number that was listed on the email AND replied to the email. The phone number was just an automated system so I left a voicemail telling them that I want my laptop back.

Have not yet received a response from the company, but if they do not send it back, I will be issuing complaints with BBB, the Attorney General's Office and any other office that I find will be helpful.

Also, because I heard about this website on national TV, I wrote an email to the reporter involved to tell her how this company actually operates.

Bottom line, do NOT waste your time with this website. I am so glad I kept my hard drive instead of trusting them to erase it!!

michaelg55
1/5/13

was quoted $179 for my iphone 4. Sent it tout. They called back and offered me $80. I cried foul and they upped it to $120. Stay away from these guys.

jeanettet2
8/22/12

Cash4 Laptops doesn't derserve any stars! Do NOT use Cash for Laptops. They quoted me $65 for my TMobile G2 that was only used for 1 year (switched to Sprint). The protective film was still on the screen and the phone was sent with it's protective cover, new sim card, sd card, charger, brand new manuals and the box. After quoting me $65, they told me the price had gone down to $21, but since mine had scratches and pitting on the battery cover, it was only worth $10. That was a lie! They are rip-off artists. G2's are selling on eBay broken for $25 - $30 and mine was pristine and complete.

alexb25
8/15/12

**update** Within 3 hours of sending this message, a customer service rep called me to talk about my experience and bumped up my cash return a bit. It is still about half of what I was originally offered though...

After doing business with them, I sent this message. It is a complete rip off and they should be embarrassed making money this way.

This company should be ashamed with how they do business, enticing people that clearly need the extra cash with reasonable quotes and then offering crap in the end. Your customer service people are kind, and I feel bad for talking crap to them because I know it's their job and they probably didn't realize they were working for a company that ripped people off, but this company does just that to innocent people. This is not what an American business should be compromised on and the founder(s) should be ashamed. I am a recent graduate from university, where I was proud to learn proper business ethics, only to be presented daily with crap companies like this that make citizens hate all business owners. Thanks for your time.

tomask
4/26/12

Got a quote for my HP Pavilion laptop $117. I sent it to them and then they offered me $50.

It's total rip off. Stay away from them!!!

marvt
2/20/12

I had the less than fortunate distinction of punching a clock in this viper pit not to long ago. The entire enterprise is designed around a flagrant disregard for the customer. Customers would be auto dialed 3, 4 or even up to 8 times in one day. The way customer service is structured is that there is someone every step of the way to remind you to send the device because getting a customer to ship is over half the battle. Once the device is with c4l then they are free to flagrantly lowball because now they have the device and with it the upper hand. Employees are told to stress the ease of shipping the device, a process that is every bit as easy in reverse,  but if you don't want the paltry sum you are being offered and ask for you device back the jargon suddenly focuses on avoiding the "inconvenience" you'll experience in attempting to get the device back. They even add inconvenience to the process as a deterrent. If you're looking to ship the device then they'll set a pick up, offering you the option of just leaving your device unattended for an untold period of time at your front door rather than having to deal with all that troublesome knocking and doorbell ringing. If you want it back they require you to sign for it "to ensure it's safety." yep, you read that right, to ensure the safety of a device that in all likelihood up to the point they agreed to return it they were calling worthless. So why the added security when returning a device they didn't care about securing when it was being sent to them? It's merely another hurdle, another thing designed to make a customer say "to hell with it, just give me the money!" also, it should be noted that if the post office tries and fails to return the device and get that signature 3 times it's "return to sender" time, baby! That means it goes back to cash4laptops! And if they have your device in their hot little hands after 30 days, according to their terms of service, it now belongs to them! And all they have to do is pay you whatever pittance they were offering after their "inspection process" that made you ask for the return of it in the first place. It is a point of pride there to purchase each device sent for as little money as possible, online quotes be damned. It's a place where ethics and morality have been replaced by sales figures and $#*!in' sales contests! It's the type of job where when you return home, if you have any soul to speak of, you have to shower until you leave for work the next day to feel even the least bit clean. Avoid it at all costs!

sungk
2/13/12

I had received their generous offer of $5 for a gently used iPhone 3GS. After a heated argument with their customer reserve rep, I was successfully at getting my phone mailed back to me. I really thought that was the end of it till I got it back in pieces. Avoid. Stay way. Do your research. Fight back. Shut this business down so it does not take advantage of one more person.

chriss43
6/13/11

They will always give you a rasonable quote ($100 in my case) and will ALWAYS then offer you $5.

While you can negotiate a better price than $5 with them (I got $90)......why bother?

Do you really want to deal with rip off artists whose whole business is bait and switch? I mean if they give you a run around on the quote like they did to me do you honestly think that they "erase" your personal info like they say they do?

This is not a reputable business. While it is environmentally comendable to recycle your laptop, this is not the outfit to do it with.

bobj15
5/27/11

These guys are rip-offs. You send product for cash based upon site valuation, it will offer a ridiculous low price and try to negotiate. best stay away.

lillyg
4/7/11

Was quoted $40 for HP laptop with bad hard drive.
Took 2 weeks to receive their paid shipping box.
Took another week after they received it for them to tell me they'd pay $5.
No explanation- no offer to return the laptop if I didn't accept $5.
They said to call them or respond to the email if any questions.
Can't get a real person to respond by email: they want me to call them between 8-4 PST.
Stay away from cash4laptops. Have dealt with gazelle.com before- they are a legitimate operation- not cash4laptops

camilag
8/25/10

I received a $50 quote for my 2009 blackberry curve. It was a perfectly functional phone and I figured $50 was easier than hunting down a buyer for what it was really worth (Probably $100).

I sent in the phone in their prepaid envelope and one month later I received a check...for 7 dollars and no written explanation as to why I did not receive full quoted price.

Complete scam. Complete rip off.