Review of WyzAnt

support@wyzant.com

267 reviews with 5 stars

briannac39
9/4/18

I started tutoring for Wyzant about 2 months ago. The clients I have gotten (both online & in person) have been incredible! I am working with children from 3rd grade through High School/SAT prep. The market place provides great opportunities. I have enjoyed working for Wyzant and even earned a raise because I have many clients and record a lot of hours!

carolinas24
7/12/18

Students learn the Spanish language very quickly and easily.
The way I teach Spanish is very pleasant and professional. I'm interested in people talking, writing and reading very well. I teach many things from different countries in Latin America and I am interested in the specific needs of the student to advance in this language.

tammyj69
7/6/18

If anyone claiming to be a tutor for Wyzant asks for any type of payment method then they should be reported to Wyzant immediately. Wyzant tutors are paid by Wyzant.

jamesc527
2/5/18

Wyzant is an excellent online tutoring service. Many opportunities to help students and to earn extra income.

anag47
12/12/16

I like working with WizAnt. I am an experienced educator. I like teaching one on one lessons and providing students with the right tools to become successful in class and beyond.
WizAnt is a good plataform that establishes the right connections in between students and tutors.
Payments are made on time.
WyzAnt has an accesible website, very easy to navigate.
I have been working with this company for a few month, so far I have had a rewarding experience.

maniew
12/4/16

Amazing company who really work well with freelance tutors and are extremely supportive.

pamelaj25
10/11/16

As a 20-year college professor, I have used all of the Learning Management Systems (LMS) available. WA uses Blackboard, the best LMS, for online learning. As a result, all subject-matters can be covered effectively using pedagogical and/or andragogical methodologies.

When students state they are seeking in-person/local sessions in their post, tutors outside their geographical area do not respond. When students state specific learning objectives that they want to achieve, tutors who can meet those particular needs will respond. General posts such as "need to learn computer science," or "want to learn law" will receive responses that may or may not meet their exact needs.

While Lynda.com boasts criticism of Professors in Higher Education, along with.posts from their tutors that exhibit a severe lack of subject-matter knowledge and skills, WyzAnt.com (WA) showcases the qualified and expert tutors it employs. WA ensures positive learning experiences, and provides excellent support to both its tutors and students.

WA provides and manages all resources necessary to connect students to excellent tutors, including procurement and allocation, payroll, legal, administrative functions, etc., so that tutors can focus on managing their projects, and prevail in helping students meet their goals and achieve success. Their management in these areas is very much worth the percentage WA charges.

WyzAnt.com is an outstanding company for both students and tutors.

veronicas39
8/19/16

I was very reluctant to get a tutor and Wyzant just happened to pop up on my radar.

The tutor I decided to go with actually messaged me first and we worked out a schedule and I've been very happy with him and I am improving.

I only have slight issues and they're with the people, not Wyzant. One tutor was bugging me a bit and kept sending his entire profile (and reviews) and a lot of tutors are insanely overpriced (in my opinion). But again, that's the people, not the company.

My only slight company complain is that they encourage you to input your payment method before even talking to anyone, supposedly because it makes you look like your interest in tutoring is serious. Still, whenever they charge you you get an email and there haven't been any issues.

I think the issue with most people is that it's like hiring a freelance worker, not someone who is an employee of Wyzant. If you're upset, make sure you're not confusing the tutor from the company.

jacquelinem29
8/8/16

Wyzant provides me with an outstanding white board and digital tools, endless respect and outstanding customer service for my online tutoring. I graduated 2010 with a 3.7 GPA from U of AZ with a PhD and two minors, wrote a textbook that won 4 national awards in 2011/2012, and 2015 was published in an international peer reviewed journal. Yet, after 400 job applications I had ONE phone interview due to age discrimination. I have been a field researcher since 2005. As my husband is a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran, we live where the year round mild climate makes his breathing possible. Wyzant is always respectful and pays on time.

stevet99
8/1/16

I'm a tutor and have been for a number of years. From my perspective, Wyzant does a great job. I charge what I want per hour; Wyzant takes their percentage for running this service, and I get the rest.
After many tutorings and many good reviews from students of my work, I sometimes get direct requests for my tutoring service.
The best thing is that Wrzant removes me from having to bill the students directly.

annaw78
7/12/16

Multiple tutors responded in a timely fashion and the one that I worked with was extremely helpful. Will suggest to others looking for tutors in the future!

lawrencep19
7/11/16

Tutor is great.

stacyb74
7/9/16

We found an amazing tutor and scheduling and payments are all done through WyzAnt which makes it all really easy.

rickys20

More than I expected

nazt3
7/9/16

From the first call to the last communication via email, the customer care was always there to answer my question, walk me thru solving the problem, and the last but not least they were very patient and took the time to come with the best solution possible, THANK YOU.

bobj112
7/8/16

Have used Wyzant several times. Great tutors every time!

stellal17
7/5/16

The website provided me enough information to find a great tutor. He was responsive to my notes, encouraging and helpful to my son and in a very short time he had the confidence (and skill) to do great on his Algebra II Trig Regents exams. We are very satisfied.

lorenel1
7/4/16

Wyzant offers a multitude of tutors to choose from. The tutor I selected was Esparenza who is a teacher at a local school. She is excellent and very patient.

Wonderful to have a service where you can connect with a teacher face to face, instead of an on-line service. So glad I found WyzAnt to connect me to a good teacher, and one I can meet with when it suits me. Well done for setting this up!

mabelm20
7/2/16

Great experience always and highly satisfied with Wyzant's tutors

lindah191
7/2/16

A great way to find tutoring help from community resources with a convenient, easy-to-use online search, communication and invoicing tool. Perfect!.

conniej23
7/1/16

Wonderful teachers thank goodness I found Wyzant they are very professional.

sharonm138
7/1/16

My experience with Wyzant was very outstanding. My tutor was very knowledgeable and the knowledge he shared with me ,help was immensely . He made sure i understood the principles of the subject and how to solve the statistics problems that I had to learn. I would recommend your service because it has help me a considerably in being successful in this course. My tutor was Joshua B and he was an excellent tutor. I would recommend him to anyone who is seeking help in any math course.

owenm38
7/1/16

I was most satisfied with Mr. Chen's teaching ability.

lynp2
5/7/16

I was able to find a tutor that met my needs and in a timely fashion. I highly recommend this site to anyone who is looking for a tutor. Also, definitely sign up to have your payment verified - it makes the process smoother for you.

susanl123
5/7/16

Karen has been great to work with. She works around schedules and will try to accommodate your needs. My son likes her and says she can explain things in a way to make them easier to understand. I would highly recommend.

52 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Based upon observations, you have to be invited after you have reached a "stable" level. I don't know if this is based 1) total number of students 2) total number of concurrent students 3) their finding out that I tutored online using other than WyzAnt tools 4) total number of hours 5) length w/WyzAnt At the time I was invited I had 1) 20 total students 2) 6 repeating students 3) used skype to tutor online local WyzAnt student 4) 100+ hours 5) more than 1 year

By Barbara W.

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P.

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.

Private tutors would all be better off if Wyzant did not exist. Profit margins are thin and nobody wants somebody skimming 30 % (that is best case scenario: 20% from tutor and 10% from student. Early on the rate is 50%). But Wyzant hires a massive team of graphic designers, programmers and data experts to dominate the internet. So anybody who wants to be a local tutor absolutely must use them to survive. Wyzant provides a service to the consumer, but expects the business to pay most of the cost.

By Nancy S.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Anna, I am a tutor with WyzAnt. While I don't advertise that I negotiate my fee, if the student has a legitimate reason for a discount, I sometimes agree or compromise. Each individual tutor is different. Therefore, you can ask. I cannot guarantee what the answer will be. -Michelle

By Michelle S.

Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

1 Photo for WyzAnt