US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

rebeccab117
1/16/17

I have been on Viewbug since August, 2016. It's been a great place to post and share photos, as well as give and receive rewards. However, I do have a couple of issues with it. There is too much adult content (which you can at least block) and too much "cheesecake" that gets rewarded over other good photography. The second issue I have is that Viewbug is constantly pushing me to upgrade from Premium to Professional, which means, of course, paying more money. The day that I feel it is worth upgrading to Professional will be the day that I make at least a finalist in one of the contests. I have placed anywhere from the top 10 to top 80, which is nice, but I've never been a finalist in any contest. Until then, I will stick with Premium.

michaelg287
1/8/17

I just joined about 2 weeks ago and I guess before I joined I should have checked it out first but I did not . I have had no problem so far and I am enjoying myself so I am going with the flow .In life you have to take chances and that is what I am doing .

mikeg225
1/7/17

Only been a member for a month or so, at this stage I don't pay a subscription so have limited number of uploads. I appreciate the opinion of other members but don't shed any tears. A lot of the entries are, in my opinion, over processed but, each to his own.

peterr104
1/6/17

It looks to me like just another phony site to get people to join and then requires monthly payments to enter most contests. I won an award of some kind but there is no explanation of what it means. It all looks like a useless exercise. Who are these people with their mysterious algorithm. How about some explanation of what your site really does. I would think time would be better spent on flickr or 500px

scotts227
12/28/16

My passion for photography went up the moment I joined Viewbug! The encouragement, the support, the motivation, the inspiration that I have gained since becoming part of this web site is amazing. One can view incredible art from experienced professionals all the way to impassioned novices like me. The great thing is the variety of connections on this site: LIKES, VIEWS, PEER AWARDS, CONTESTS. You can be as "meek" and quiet on the site, or give awards, follow others, communicate privately (IE like FB or LinkedIn). Your own site has a moving slideshow. It is an impressive interface. Any questions that I have had are answered by VB staff to my e-mail. It's as much fun as the social media sites that get all the attention. Only it is geared completely to photography. I'd spend hours on this per day if I had time!

kelleya5
12/19/16

Viewbug is a lot of fun and provides inspiration and education. This site exhibits amazing talent, and I enjoy getting ideas from the other amazing photographers on this site. Every week, I look forward to seeing how my photos are doing in the contests. Great fun while learning how to improve my photography. Great combination!

zayy1
12/16/16

I have been a member of ViewBug for 3 years. I really love to participate in ViewBug photo contests. ViewBug has created lots of fantastic photo contests. Being a winner of ViewBug community adds lots of benefits to the photographer. I love ViewBug and recommend you to participate in fantastic photography contests at ViewBug.

chrissiec1
12/13/16

Just joined, really like it so far but can't seem to edit my entry to a contest. I submitted the wrong image by mistake, when I go to the edit entries page nothing works. Having said that, the interface is really user friendly, the whole process of uploading, exploring, entering contestes etc is really fast and simple and there is a wealth of ideas and inspiration available.

jonp46
12/8/16

I joined Viewbug a year ago and i, and those that have watched my progress, can honestly say that Viewbug has had a huge influence on my photography! There are all skill levels from serious proffesionals who display some fantastic art, to complete novices that have some of the best snapshots on life and the world around us.
Viewbug has helped me to push myself as a keen amature photographer and viewing such a wide range of styles, my skill level has come on in leaps and bounds! Thanks Viewbug!

leer48
12/6/16

I think viewbug is the best thing since sliced bread. I spend hours on the site each day giving awards out. As a very long term homeless person i don't get judged only my photos get judged. My photos have won 1000s of awards. The awards are saying well done and i need that.now my hope is to win a contest.

tomq6
12/4/16

In order for the "professional judge" to even see the finalist photos (generally about 50 or so I believe), the photos must first be rated as the most popular by the viewbug members. When I joined I took this to heart and tried to participate by rating photos. One contest ending this week already has over 28,000 entries and presumably will end with approximately 30,000 entries. Viewbug's voting process requires you to view 4 photos per page and choose the top one or two (or none) on each page. 30,000 entries would be 7500 pages. Assuming a minimum fair appraisal time of 10 seconds per page that is equivalent to about 21 HOURS of non-stop viewing/voting. So if you dedicated yourself to this as you would a full-time job (8 hours of work per day) it would take almost three days (assuming lunch and time-out breaks) to vote on ONE contest. Keep in mind that there are contest closing virtually every day....so it is literally impossible to try to participate in voting on them. So, what inevitably must be happening is good-hearted folks start the process, vote on some photos for an hour or so, get bored and more on to something more meaningful in their lives. Thereby voting for whatever photos were in the first few hundred pages.....and never seeing the remaining thousands of pages where the top photos likely lurk. Perhaps I am missing something and the process doesn't really work this way. If so, I would love to hear how it really works.

maryp72
11/25/16

This site is actually a lot of fun, even for a professional. Art and photography are subjective, so this is by no means bible, its my point of view. I have seen some wonderful images on this site. Manipulation is part of photography and takes a lot of work to perfect, so for those of you that are complaining about these types of pics, learn the craft before you say its easy, or just a person clicking a button. Remember that its not the camera or how big your lens who takes great pictures, its the person using it.
I am a free member mostly to keep my social media aspect for my website. If I can have fun in the meantime, even better.

allisonb55
11/24/16

I love this site. Amazing talented people sharing their amazing photos. Whenever I view the new pics I am just constantly in awe. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from them.

feliciam21
11/21/16

I really like this site for the learning experience and to get ideas for photoshoots. I like entering the contests to get an idea if the image is worth anything. I've NEVER won a contest yet...I doubt I ever will, if I do it will be very surprising. I've been a finalist several times and featured but nothing to get too excited over. Ive been a member for 2-3 years i think...IDK it's been a while. The one thing that keeps it from getting a 5th star from me is the reward points. They mean nothing. You can't redeem them for anything.. They give you a free entry into a contest when you reach certain goal marks but you can't turn them in for anything...I would be cool if you could get a t-shirt or small momentos for the rewards..I've given up on trying to earn them. what's the point. I realize the points are easy to get, just make the items worth a lot of points then, and to certain level members make them worth less or discount them. I just think the reward points should either be cut out or improved with something worth working for...

mattf46
11/4/16

This site is wonderful for sharing photos with others, but the problem is within the contests. There are all these amazing prizes that I used to get excited about but now I've realised an amateur like me with a Canon 100D could ever win them. The photos that people post to these contests are exceptional but clearly taken with very expensive cameras. So they'll probably get the prize and sell it off or give it to someone else. I really think that this voids the point of the contests. Also people who win resubmit their photo for the next contest and could still win. Us people who haven't got £3,000 to spare are getting buried under the professionals.

sandys3
10/25/16

I have been a member for almost 3 years having joined soon after taking up the hobby of photography. My only complaint is that I spend too much time on the site! The photography ranges from people who apparently don't realize that a photograph should be focused to top of the food chain professionals. I personally would consider myself a serious amateur although after winning the annual "Popular Photography"/New York Institute of Photography contest, I was awarded with a free course in pro photography which I finished almost 2 years ago.

There a tons of contests and challenges so you can match your work against other photographers and the contests are free! I am thrilled that my work has been well received on the site and their is rarely a day where I don't receive a message from a fellow member complimenting me on my work. As I type this, I have won 28,579 awards on the site!!

If you are a photographer, here is a warning: If you sign up it will become addictive, and as an aside, I am sure you will love the site!

monicas64
10/17/16

I am a very amateur photographer that discovered this site by accident. I own no photo editing software. The most editing I ever do is perhaps a bit of cropping and some changes to black & white or sepia and creativity is not really my thing either. After looking at the images posted on this site I am quite certain I will never, ever even come close to winning a competition. However, once I got past this reality I discovered that it's fun just to post photos and see what people have to say. So, I will continue to enjoy the beautiful work of others and take whatever compliments come my way.

dizzlem
9/18/16

I like the format of the site, what bothers me is how the original photo quality is degraded significantly by Viewbug. Example, here are 2 links to the exact same photo. It has been uploaded to Viewbug and also DA.
viewbug
DA

Update: This update is in reply to ViewBug T. [ViewBug Rep]
The image from deviant art I posted is actually what you see if you choose to zoom in. I was trying not advertise the DA site, thats why I linked directly to what you are shown.
But here is the link with the DA borders etc

Now, what is really puzzling, when I click on the photo from viewbug's version, It does not zoom in and get clearer, it actually zooms out only, showing either the "compressed version" or a smaller "compressed version"

The photo never becomes better than "compressed"
I totally understand why images are compressed (saves space)
Also, thank you for taking time to talk about the issue. Again, I really like the format of the site, I just feel let down by image quality. Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I can tell, the view is always presented with the compressed image, with no way to zoom in or view the photo in better detail.
Thanks.

coreye11
9/3/16

I haven't been a member for long at all, but I've already upgraded to premium. There are so many gorgeous images here. It's overwhelming...and inspiring. It really doesn't matter what level you're at there is a place for everyone on this site. Sure there are competition and the competition is extremely stiff! However, it is a great place to learn and be inspired and just marvel at all of the wonderful images.

gabrielaw2
8/30/16

Been a member just about a year now it's a Awesome Community with quality photography proud to post my work there

emilys122
8/21/16

Im reading through reviews for viewbug and getting really annoyed. loads are very positive and thats very good because it shows that viewbug delivers on prizes and stuff. but there are two types of complainers in these reviews in my opinion.
Type one - cant win a competition so spends their whole review saying its fixed bla bla bla.
Type 2 - thinks they are professional and therefore is putting everyone's images down saying that everything is bad or extremely low quality.
my opinion- yes there are a lot of lower quality images on there however some people cant afford cameras and equipment that will give them top images or they dont have the experience to take good images.
viewbug isnt about having lots of professionals being amazing with no low quality images at all. it's about learning and appreciating the art of photography, this includes sharing lower quality images to receive feedback and help improving them. therefore it is an amazing site that works very well. Personally i have spent many hours on this site and can't seem to get off it. I would like to thank viewbug for that. i am finally inspired to explore different types of photography to the studio work i usually do and i appreciate that a lot.

alessandroa7
8/6/16

Since I'm a member of ViewBug, I have been doing better day after day. Their contests are truly motivating and the results always inspiring. The prizes are true, the exposure works and you can make friends sharing photos and commenting on others' walls and works. One of my favourite websites so far.

Tip for consumers: Look at the contests and start digging into your photos archive! :D

jackieg37
7/28/16

Thrilled to win a Speedlite in competition. Fantastic service and quick response and delivery. Out and about using it, wonderful. Thank you View Bug

ronp51
7/28/16

As an amateur photographer, I value everything I learn from the Viewbug community. I try join contests and challenges as much as possible and check out my competitors' work when I can and learn from them. I see some people wrote "don't waste your money - unless you pay you don't win anything etc.", I don't believe these people are being fair. If your main goal is to win something then you should just buy a lottery ticket, why waste your time with photography. Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone and I respect everyone's opinion but if you are in this community just because of prizes then maybe you are in the wrong place so please don't blame the website because you didn't win anything.

nealc16
7/17/16

I looked at it once and when I did a reverse image search on a few of the pictures half of them were lifted from the net.

46 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ViewBug staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
rebeccab117
Rebecca B.
3 days, 21 hours ago
Answer
producl
ViewBug T. [ViewBug Rep]
A: Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for your message.

The only difference between some of the peer awards is that some of them can only be given by Premium and Pro members:

The awards that can be given by Lite members include:
Superb Composition
Absolute Masterpiece
Outstanding Creativity
Top Choice
Peer Award

The awards that can be given by Premium members include all of the Lite awards plus:
Superior Skill
All Star

The awards that can be given by PRO members include all of the Premium awards plus:
Magnificent Capture
Genius

Top Class Awards are given to the photos with the most votes received in a specific contest. We give out weekly Top Class Awards showing how your photo is ranking in the voting process for that specific week.

The Top Class Awards are divided in 3 groups:

- Top 10 Class Award - Means that your photos was in the top 10 percent of photos with the most votes received. - So being top 10 is better than being Top 20 or 30.
- Top 20 Class Award - Means that your photos was in the top 20 percent of photos with the most votes received.
- Top 30 Class Award - Means that your photos was in the top 30 percent of photos with the most votes received.

For more details; please refer to the link below:

What are the Top Class Awards and what is the Voting Rank Update?:

To learn more, you may visit our FAQ page at http://help.viewbug.com/ where you'll find answers to most of your questions if not all.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please always contact our member support team at members@viewbug.com

Have a good day!
Answer
producl
ViewBug T. [ViewBug Rep]
A: Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

To view the list of profiles of the members you're following, simply go to your ViewBug profile page and click on the three-dot menu on the right hand side under your profile cover and then click on "Following" from drop-down list.

On our mobile site, 3 dot menu is located at the bottom left corner of your profile banner due to limited screen space on smart phones and tablets.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our member support team at members@viewbug.com

Have a good day!