US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

darcyd5
2/10/17

I joined this site 2 years ago when I first got into that art and I would like to say nowhere have I seen photographers that get on so well together. If you were a member of my facebook group you would know this is not the norm. I have also pushed myself as a result of the site directly and I have done well. I would def recommend to others.

lindar174
2/9/17

I have so much to learn and only making slow progress am always surprised, delighted and encouraged by ViewBug members awarding my images. This is awesome! Can't tell you what a lift this gives when most of the time I even struggle to decide what is good and what isn't. This site is amazing, it not only encourages its members but provides every opportunity to learn from others images it also inspires us to try out so many options. I enter contests and challenges for wider exposure and points, never thinking I would come close to achieving more than that. Thank you ViewBug. Cheers Linda49

mbw1
2/6/17

Documentation needs a lot of work...I don't understand how most of the site works or what the heck "you're almost there" means! I also have trouble voting, because the voting menu does not offer an "are you sure?" Option to confirm a choice...I have given so many people a "peer award" when they deserved so much more, because the button is so sensitive. Also, I only vote one per four or not at all because the next four come up right after the second vote, and I have often gone on, so that leaves me with a skipped set not voting at all when I should, so I feel like a terrible judge! Quality of photography is great, and would SO love to win a better camera. Appreciate the decent prizes. Also appreciate the articles to improve technique.

gabriellep5
2/5/17

It seems my problem has been resolved.

They have put up a photo in my name, and it is NOT my photo. It is sexual of nature and I can't find a way to cancel it or to let them know. I'm very upset!...

kathrynj13
2/4/17

Love all aspects the contests, challenges, the voters, all are worth every minute, love voting and welcoming new viewbug participants

pavelm10
1/25/17

I was attracted to Viewbug by their long list of expert judges. There was virtually nothing to tell me about how the site operates, but I expected it to be similar to other sites that offer juried competition for a gallery exhibition or other prices.

This site is different. Most winners are decided members votes. Members range widely in skill level and experience. Look at the work posted on Flickr and similar sites to get an idea. If you are an advanced photographer, these competitions are not very useful and similar to the ones you can get for free elsewhere online. The juried competitions involve members narrowing the selection down to about 50 images (from thousands) and a more experienced juror (a website staff or other) just looks at top 50 images.

I found the nondisclosure of that up front together with listing of great many expert judges creating an impression that the competitions are juried by experts. Even when you do become a member, it is difficult to find out how the competitions are organised. By that time it is too late and 3 weeks after I signed up for a year, I was offered only about 1/4 of what I paid back. I found this deceptive. I hope that you didi better research of this site than I did and that you learn from the experience.

rebeccab117
1/16/17

I have been on Viewbug since August, 2016. It's been a great place to post and share photos, as well as give and receive rewards. However, I do have a couple of issues with it. There is too much adult content (which you can at least block) and too much "cheesecake" that gets rewarded over other good photography. The second issue I have is that Viewbug is constantly pushing me to upgrade from Premium to Professional, which means, of course, paying more money. The day that I feel it is worth upgrading to Professional will be the day that I make at least a finalist in one of the contests. I have placed anywhere from the top 10 to top 80, which is nice, but I've never been a finalist in any contest. Until then, I will stick with Premium.

michaelg287
1/8/17

I just joined about 2 weeks ago and I guess before I joined I should have checked it out first but I did not . I have had no problem so far and I am enjoying myself so I am going with the flow .In life you have to take chances and that is what I am doing .

mikeg225
1/7/17

Only been a member for a month or so, at this stage I don't pay a subscription so have limited number of uploads. I appreciate the opinion of other members but don't shed any tears. A lot of the entries are, in my opinion, over processed but, each to his own.

peterr104
1/6/17

It looks to me like just another phony site to get people to join and then requires monthly payments to enter most contests. I won an award of some kind but there is no explanation of what it means. It all looks like a useless exercise. Who are these people with their mysterious algorithm. How about some explanation of what your site really does. I would think time would be better spent on flickr or 500px

scotts227
12/28/16

My passion for photography went up the moment I joined Viewbug! The encouragement, the support, the motivation, the inspiration that I have gained since becoming part of this web site is amazing. One can view incredible art from experienced professionals all the way to impassioned novices like me. The great thing is the variety of connections on this site: LIKES, VIEWS, PEER AWARDS, CONTESTS. You can be as "meek" and quiet on the site, or give awards, follow others, communicate privately (IE like FB or LinkedIn). Your own site has a moving slideshow. It is an impressive interface. Any questions that I have had are answered by VB staff to my e-mail. It's as much fun as the social media sites that get all the attention. Only it is geared completely to photography. I'd spend hours on this per day if I had time!

kelleya5
12/19/16

Viewbug is a lot of fun and provides inspiration and education. This site exhibits amazing talent, and I enjoy getting ideas from the other amazing photographers on this site. Every week, I look forward to seeing how my photos are doing in the contests. Great fun while learning how to improve my photography. Great combination!

zayy1
12/16/16

I have been a member of ViewBug for 3 years. I really love to participate in ViewBug photo contests. ViewBug has created lots of fantastic photo contests. Being a winner of ViewBug community adds lots of benefits to the photographer. I love ViewBug and recommend you to participate in fantastic photography contests at ViewBug.

chrissiec1
12/13/16

Just joined, really like it so far but can't seem to edit my entry to a contest. I submitted the wrong image by mistake, when I go to the edit entries page nothing works. Having said that, the interface is really user friendly, the whole process of uploading, exploring, entering contestes etc is really fast and simple and there is a wealth of ideas and inspiration available.

jonp46
12/8/16

I joined Viewbug a year ago and i, and those that have watched my progress, can honestly say that Viewbug has had a huge influence on my photography! There are all skill levels from serious proffesionals who display some fantastic art, to complete novices that have some of the best snapshots on life and the world around us.
Viewbug has helped me to push myself as a keen amature photographer and viewing such a wide range of styles, my skill level has come on in leaps and bounds! Thanks Viewbug!

leer48
12/6/16

I think viewbug is the best thing since sliced bread. I spend hours on the site each day giving awards out. As a very long term homeless person i don't get judged only my photos get judged. My photos have won 1000s of awards. The awards are saying well done and i need that.now my hope is to win a contest.

tomq6
12/4/16

In order for the "professional judge" to even see the finalist photos (generally about 50 or so I believe), the photos must first be rated as the most popular by the viewbug members. When I joined I took this to heart and tried to participate by rating photos. One contest ending this week already has over 28,000 entries and presumably will end with approximately 30,000 entries. Viewbug's voting process requires you to view 4 photos per page and choose the top one or two (or none) on each page. 30,000 entries would be 7500 pages. Assuming a minimum fair appraisal time of 10 seconds per page that is equivalent to about 21 HOURS of non-stop viewing/voting. So if you dedicated yourself to this as you would a full-time job (8 hours of work per day) it would take almost three days (assuming lunch and time-out breaks) to vote on ONE contest. Keep in mind that there are contest closing virtually every day....so it is literally impossible to try to participate in voting on them. So, what inevitably must be happening is good-hearted folks start the process, vote on some photos for an hour or so, get bored and more on to something more meaningful in their lives. Thereby voting for whatever photos were in the first few hundred pages.....and never seeing the remaining thousands of pages where the top photos likely lurk. Perhaps I am missing something and the process doesn't really work this way. If so, I would love to hear how it really works.

maryp72
11/25/16

This site is actually a lot of fun, even for a professional. Art and photography are subjective, so this is by no means bible, its my point of view. I have seen some wonderful images on this site. Manipulation is part of photography and takes a lot of work to perfect, so for those of you that are complaining about these types of pics, learn the craft before you say its easy, or just a person clicking a button. Remember that its not the camera or how big your lens who takes great pictures, its the person using it.
I am a free member mostly to keep my social media aspect for my website. If I can have fun in the meantime, even better.

allisonb55
11/24/16

I love this site. Amazing talented people sharing their amazing photos. Whenever I view the new pics I am just constantly in awe. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from them.

feliciam21
11/21/16

I really like this site for the learning experience and to get ideas for photoshoots. I like entering the contests to get an idea if the image is worth anything. I've NEVER won a contest yet...I doubt I ever will, if I do it will be very surprising. I've been a finalist several times and featured but nothing to get too excited over. Ive been a member for 2-3 years i think...IDK it's been a while. The one thing that keeps it from getting a 5th star from me is the reward points. They mean nothing. You can't redeem them for anything.. They give you a free entry into a contest when you reach certain goal marks but you can't turn them in for anything...I would be cool if you could get a t-shirt or small momentos for the rewards..I've given up on trying to earn them. what's the point. I realize the points are easy to get, just make the items worth a lot of points then, and to certain level members make them worth less or discount them. I just think the reward points should either be cut out or improved with something worth working for...

mattf46
11/4/16

This site is wonderful for sharing photos with others, but the problem is within the contests. There are all these amazing prizes that I used to get excited about but now I've realised an amateur like me with a Canon 100D could ever win them. The photos that people post to these contests are exceptional but clearly taken with very expensive cameras. So they'll probably get the prize and sell it off or give it to someone else. I really think that this voids the point of the contests. Also people who win resubmit their photo for the next contest and could still win. Us people who haven't got £3,000 to spare are getting buried under the professionals.

sandys3
10/25/16

I have been a member for almost 3 years having joined soon after taking up the hobby of photography. My only complaint is that I spend too much time on the site! The photography ranges from people who apparently don't realize that a photograph should be focused to top of the food chain professionals. I personally would consider myself a serious amateur although after winning the annual "Popular Photography"/New York Institute of Photography contest, I was awarded with a free course in pro photography which I finished almost 2 years ago.

There a tons of contests and challenges so you can match your work against other photographers and the contests are free! I am thrilled that my work has been well received on the site and their is rarely a day where I don't receive a message from a fellow member complimenting me on my work. As I type this, I have won 28,579 awards on the site!!

If you are a photographer, here is a warning: If you sign up it will become addictive, and as an aside, I am sure you will love the site!

monicas64
10/17/16

I am a very amateur photographer that discovered this site by accident. I own no photo editing software. The most editing I ever do is perhaps a bit of cropping and some changes to black & white or sepia and creativity is not really my thing either. After looking at the images posted on this site I am quite certain I will never, ever even come close to winning a competition. However, once I got past this reality I discovered that it's fun just to post photos and see what people have to say. So, I will continue to enjoy the beautiful work of others and take whatever compliments come my way.

dizzlem
9/18/16

I like the format of the site, what bothers me is how the original photo quality is degraded significantly by Viewbug. Example, here are 2 links to the exact same photo. It has been uploaded to Viewbug and also DA.
viewbug
DA

Update: This update is in reply to ViewBug T. [ViewBug Rep]
The image from deviant art I posted is actually what you see if you choose to zoom in. I was trying not advertise the DA site, thats why I linked directly to what you are shown.
But here is the link with the DA borders etc

Now, what is really puzzling, when I click on the photo from viewbug's version, It does not zoom in and get clearer, it actually zooms out only, showing either the "compressed version" or a smaller "compressed version"

The photo never becomes better than "compressed"
I totally understand why images are compressed (saves space)
Also, thank you for taking time to talk about the issue. Again, I really like the format of the site, I just feel let down by image quality. Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I can tell, the view is always presented with the compressed image, with no way to zoom in or view the photo in better detail.
Thanks.

coreye11
9/3/16

I haven't been a member for long at all, but I've already upgraded to premium. There are so many gorgeous images here. It's overwhelming...and inspiring. It really doesn't matter what level you're at there is a place for everyone on this site. Sure there are competition and the competition is extremely stiff! However, it is a great place to learn and be inspired and just marvel at all of the wonderful images.

48 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the ViewBug staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
producl
ViewBug T. [ViewBug Rep]
A: Hello Jean,

Thank you for your message.

To delete the photo in question; simply refer to the How can I remove or delete a photo? article by clicking on the link below. This article also includes a step-by-step video showing how to delete a photo from your ViewBug profile.

How can I remove or delete a photo?:

If you have any further questions or concerns, please always contact our member support team at members@viewbug.com

Have a nice day!