US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

sueh82
1/11/17

Swagbucks was great at the beggining, now....its a pain in the butt to earn any points, they make it so difficult and hardly ever gives you any credit for their "shop and earn", it used to be worth it...not any more...all swagbucks will ever do its steal your time from actually doing something productive in life....

nishantp
1/11/17

1) Swagbucks simply does not let you earn in any sort of way after the first 7/10 days...maybe a few months for others.
2) Points are never updated. Most of the contests, surveys, etc are a waste of time.
Wonder how the U.S government does not bring this site to justice. Also all those mobile apps just spam your smartphone/s.

cbh1
1/10/17

Yes, Swagbucks is a legitimate source of earning gift cards to retailers for taking surveys/watching videos. However, a lot of those surveys will begin and then tell you that you do not qualify but have earned 1 SB for trying. By the way 1SB is equivalent to 1 penny. I took a 20 minute survey. At about the 18 minute mark and 96% completion of this survey, I was redirected to the Swagbucks website as it turns out I did not qualify for this survey. I do not mind taking the surveys. I do mind spending a significant amount of time starting surveys to only be redirected and I told I did not qualify. It is extremely frustrating and SB needs to only populate surveys on your home page that you are actually qualified to participate in!

kendalls19
1/9/17

What a joke! I was actually excited after making a huge ($900) purchase through Sonos, which after 2 months I was awarded nearly 10,000 points for. Finally, after waiting for the points to go through, I tried to reedem a $100 Amazon gift card with all my points. The next day I got a message saying they couldn't verify my redemption, AND they took away all the points from my Sonos purchase, saying my purchase was returned. Uhm, I think I would know if I returned $900 worth of equipment!! They literally REFUSED to accept verification and told me they were "done responding to my claim and there was nothing to be done." Thank God I didn't spend years trying to earn up the points like the poor suckers who use this website regularly! Don't waste your time.

taylora13
1/8/17

I found out about Swagbucks from a blog on how to make money online. It seemed very convenient so I signed up and they baited me with a little bit of free money to start out with. I had my heart set on reaching that $3 (300 SB) eBay card, I spent the rest of the day doing their small variety of tasks ranging from a daily poll that pays 2 cents (yes, 2) to watching 1 hour worth of videos for a whopping 3 cents (again, this isn't a joke). The stratey that seemed most efficient to me was doing surveys, unfortunately, approximately 100% of the surveys you attempt will disqualify you, I stayed at an idle 230 SB since last night and all of this morning since I woke up in the vain attempt of making that extra 70 SB I needed to reach my goal of obtaining a $3 eBay giftcard, after being disqualified from all of 15 surveys since last night (that marks my failure rate at 100%) I became more angry than my usual mangry sentiment, I proceeded to write this review to warn others of the dangers of online surveys, don't make the same mistake I did, the surveys are rigged and you're genuinely working for pennies per task (even surveys), after being rejected 15 times in a row spanning one entire night and one entire morning I knew something very fishy was going on, instead of being compensated for a deserving minimum wage allocation for my estimated 8 hours of work (plus overtime) I was treated like a mouse on a wheel working for crumbs on a good day. Speaking of compensation, it's important to know that any offers you do will not reward you with any form of compensation, I've done offers where I signed up to a website and answered very lengthy surveys cohesive with those signups and upon finishing I was yet again bamboozled, stay off Swagbucks, all of those testimonials you read about the site paying huge sums of cash are either bribes or fraudulent. If you want to know how to actually make money online it seems like your only viable options are to learn lucrative skills like art or programming for freelance work and focus on writing articles for websites in the mean time (if you're lucky enough to even find a site accepting articles from average joes instead of just university graduates who have been submitting articles to the site every day for years).

Tip for consumers: DON'T use the site, you're never gonna make that 300 SB needed for the cheapest reward option, I speak from experience, and even if you do somehow make the money I've read countless horror stories from people saying their account was banned the moment they tried cashing out, that's why I was going for the cheapest option which is a $3 gift card.

terris42
1/6/17

When I joined Swagbucks in 2011, I was made around $50-60 per month. The next year, I made a bit less for the same amount of time and activities. Every year since, I have to spend twice the amount of time on the site to make a minimum of $35 per month. Swagbucks site constantly changing, whether the changes are positive or lateral. The visual design is stimulating, and makes it appear that earnings are as easy as clicking, but the reality is that maybe a third of offers credit without having to "submit a ticket", videos are hit or miss, and they have yet, in the five years I have been a member, to address the fact that the first week of every month is barren of news offers, videos, or surveys. The daily bonus does not make up for it, nor do the occasional codes or team challenge bonuses. If they would spend half the amount of time they spend on changing designs, or giving out bonuses that you have to meet a quota for, and just fix the problems, they would better compete with earning sites that reliably pay out. Having said this, if you do earning sites, do stay with them, but don't expect the same reliability.

graceo22
1/6/17

Swagbucks surveys suck! This morning I completed 3 surveys worth 60, 80 and 100 swagbucks. I took a screen shot showing that I completed the surveys. The swagbucks were never awarded. I wrote to Swagbucks and Daniel wrote back and said Swagbucks had no proof I had completed the survey and that because I submitted numerous complaints - being three reports including the screen shots of the completed surveys, of not recieving the awards - that Swagbucks would take 5 days but basically that they weren't going to do anything. Then when I posted it on their Facebook page... they commented that by submitting a "complaint" or questioning or asking for help - anyway you want to look at it- that I automatically agreed to them not having to do anything to correct the problem.

WHAT A SCAM. GET SURVEYS COMPLETED FOR THE COMPANIES WHO ARE PAYING THEM, BUT DON'T PAY THE PEOPLE DOING THE SURVEYS! CAN WE SAY RIP OFF????

amberm85
1/5/17

I am so excited it's not a scam! It does take work and dedication to taking surveys but the extra fifty bucks I made in my spare time allowed me to buy something for myself. So glad I finally found something that is not a scam!

Tip for consumers: Getting the app on your phone helps a lot and allows you to do surveys not available on the computer.

ganb1
1/4/17

I tried my first purchase of Hulu through this account. Swagbucks mentioned rewards of 2000 SBs. After two days of email exchange with their customer service, all they ended up saying was that I talk to some third party customer service as they were unable to resolve the issue. I recommend that you use this service with full caution. I ended up wasting $7.99 on Hulu.

Update: The Swagbucks was able to finally resolve it. I got my 2000 SBs! So updating my rating

dawns86
1/2/17

They make it harder and harder to earn even a hundred points a day. That equals one dollar. People are on Facebook stating they had to contact them repeatedly for their points. That counts as time. If you have to send emails and screenshots to earn your dollar a day that brings it down to about a dollar for 2 or 3 hours of monotony.When you finally get SB for searches they expire in minutes and you lose them. The videos crash and I have been sent to a bogus chrome site a few times. The longest video streams that run for hours tend to crash at the end so that you don't earn the 4SB! 3 hour video for about 4 cents? I'm concerned about how smart people are that brag about $500 gift card that probably took them about 10 times longer than if they worked for minimum wage, also using large amounts of data and streaming the same stupid videos over and over day in and day out. Some videos are years old. It's okay if you get some points for searching or purchasing something you normally do. The amount of time spent just trying to get what you are owed, puts you in the hole, People just don't realize that their time is worth more than a penny and hour. SMH

sans21
12/31/16

When I signed up it was easier to qualify for surveys but I soon realized the surveys were 'crashing' or 'freezing' after they had most of the dstas they needed. I was kickjed out of one for being a democrat so I'm wondering who is funding these. Anyway I always copy the number of the survey so when they crash or freeze I still get credit but now I no longer qualify for surveys. I get one every other day. This site makes money by driving customers into sleazy sites offering free stuff but actually they get $$ when you purchase stuff. Son initially its easy and then its difficult. I was getting a gift card every few days now it takes a week nor two because I don't buy things. I've been st 400 points for a week when I get to 500 pts I'm cashing out and sweepstacking the remains. Waste of time I'd rather do ebay

eg283
12/19/16

SB fails to credit rewards much of the time. You're supposed to get screen shots of everything you do to prove that you correctly completed activities or offers. But even when you do remember to get screenshots of every step of every activity, they tell you that your computer's fiirewall, or antivirus, or anti-adware/malware, or popup blocker, or whatever, is not supposed to be running when you're on swagbucks. I disabled everything when on SB for a solid week but SB still reneged on rewards. I'd like to know how they can claim that certain apps were running when you're completing offers yet they need screenshots as evidence??? It's baloney. Also, when you complete offers on their third party partners, you NEVER receive the promised SB. You're required to provide screenshots to the third party partners, not SB, Which would be fine if they didn't gank things up too, like requiring you to complete a captcha challenge in order to report-but no captcha challenge appears. Forget reporting a problem to Swagbucks-they treat yo like a half-wit, telling you things that you already know because you took the time to read Ts & Cs and are sensible enough to follow rules and instructions, yet they manage to slide away from anything remotely resembling answers to their bugs. Watch out for the occasional disappearing SB. I've gotten a lot further with Crowdtap for all its limitations in a month than I have on swagbucks in more than a year.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site unless you don't care if you receive your promised rewards and have nothing but time.

jennyb50
12/18/16

I joined in 2011. It used to be fun. Sometimes things wouldn't credit but once you learned to screenshot your offers it was easy to get them to credit. But then more and more offers (most of which are not run directly through swagbucks but through 3rd party pay-per-click providers) stopped crediting. Then it got to the point where you were lucky if 1-2 out of 10 would credit without having to "chase down" your swagbucks first through the different offer companies support - then through swagbucks support if the 3rd party company wouldn't credit you.

Surveys are similarly not actually run through swagbucks - but they do Nothing to ensure that users aren't spending 15, 30 mins, an hour of their time answering questions just to get "survey is full" or "you do not qualify". Surveys are a Maddening waste of time.

They've removed the 5 ways to earn a free swagbuck every day - now it's down to 2.

Used to be you could watch a few videos and earn a couple swagbucks - now you have to watch 20+ videos (WITH ads in front of them) that are all 1 - 6 minutes each just to earn 6 swagbucks. Yep, that's right, you are going to spend a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, but more like an Hour at least - to earn 6 cents.

That's just insane.

Oh they have half a dozen mobile apps so you can destroy your phone batteries life watching videos so you aren't shackled to your computer - but you are going to be shackled to something because you will need to remain plugged in to power and be next to the phone to click things to "verify" you are there. So - if that's the route you wanna go, well I guess you are also the kind of person that Literally likes to watch paint dry.

They have shifted the emphasis on the site to Shop and earn - spend money to "make" money. Constantly barraged with ads and offers to go spend money you probably don't even have anyway if you are bothering with a site like this (unless you have a big allowance and nothing better to do I guess?)

Search wins used to be a Minimum of 7 swagbucks at the low end - and you could easily win 3, occasionaly 4 times a day just doing normal search activity. Now you are lucky if you get 1 win a day, and most of the time it's 4 swagbucks.

They have constant "team events' and those Used to be easy to participate in. But they've changed how you contribute points to your team - emphasizing surveys (see above), videos (see above), and shopping (see above). I don't even bother with those anymore.

They do "collector bills" which are special graphics for the swagbucks wins - and if you collect them all you get a bonus - but see above. You rarely win anymore.

They are Constantly telling you to refer your friends so you can earn profits from their activities. This used to be easy to do - because it USED to be a site you wanted to tell people about. Now a-days the only people getting a lot of swagbucks are pulling in from websites they run, or paid advertising on sites like Google AdSense.

In my first year with Swagbucks I earned nearly $600. Two years ago my earnings had dropped to about $300. Immediately in January 2015 they started tanking the ways to earn - all the while literally raking in RECORD profits (and being written up in business mags and journals for their incredible profit model) - and my earnings have dropped to about $100 in 2015 and - let me go look - just a hair more than $50 - at least $40 of which was directly from shopping - and only because I was already going to buy those things so I used Swagbucks.

In other words - if you want to have a rewards site for paying you small amounts of cash back for money you were going to spend anyway , go with Swagbucks. Combine those purchases (that they are earning FAR MORE in affiliate commissions on than you are earning cash back) with rewards from your credit cards.

But don't expect miracles, or fun - those are long gone and swagbucks has simply become a profit machine for them - a frustrating grind for the majority of their users.

Tip for consumers: Only bother with this if you plan to do a lot of online shopping and want an extra source of "cash back" on top of your credit card rewards. Otherwise, skip it.

jillians6
12/18/16

I've filled out surveys for hours without getting a single swagbuck. A swag buck is equivalent to 1 cent just so you all know. I don't think an hour of my time is worth 1 cent and in most cases you don't even get that.

reym8
12/15/16

These are cheaters big time. They don't give you the credits you worked hard for.

joycea7
12/13/16

Why do I have to prove I completed an offer all the time? Why do you not have the information yourself? You ask us to go to the '3rd party website' & ask their customer service to send proof that you completed an offer through your website. Then send you a screenshot of the proof that you indeed completed the offer! This is crazy! It's such a hassle!

reggiep6
12/4/16

Earned over 50 dollars and then account was deactivated when I tried to cash in. Conveniently customer service would not respond to emails. Hard enough to earn the money as it is. Even worse is that when you earn the money and try to cash out they deactivate your account

jannelleg
12/2/16

I used to be able to finish surveys and get paid for them, now i finish them and get told they have been filled! What is going on with swagbucks? They have become so dishonest in the last couple months i'm done with them now.

frustratedu1
12/1/16

I joined in 2011. Back then, there was plenty to do, surveys credited most of the time, and the offer walls credited. There were plenty of other things to do to make it interesting.

For the past 2 years, it's been deteriorating.

- They decreased the amount and frequency of search wins (it used to be you could get 3+ wins a day and the minimum win was 7, but now you are lucky if you get one a week and all I've gotten for the past year were 4s and 5s on those rare occasions of a win).

- Surveys no longer work. You finish the survey, and it disqualifies you or simply doesn't pay out. Or, you can spend 10+ minutes filling out endless demographic information and never get any sort of credit. It's so rare to get a survey that works and credits, that I quit wasting my time with those.

- Offers on the offerwalls don't pay out 89% of the time. In fact, the reason I'm writing this review is because I haven't had an offer pay out in days, no matter which wall I use. I always clean my cookies, cache, and computer each day. Either they don't credit, or they are redirects (you click on one thing, to be brought to a completely different page than what you were expecting from the click).

- It used to be, you could shop and earn and that wasn't the main part of the site, just *a* part of the site, just another way to earn like everything else. Now, everything is SHOP AND SPEND MONEY crammed down your throat. Well, if your other offers and activities don't credit, why would I trust you to credit me if I spend money? Then they started MyGiftCardsPlus, where you purchase gift cards. Okay, fine, it's good if that's your thing...but most of us who started on this site started so we could earn gift cards, not spend money. But here we have it rammed down our throats all the time.

- The swagbutton was introduced. I guess not enough people got it? Because for the past two years, they've spammed every single page on this site with popups in the middle of the screen, or at the bottom of the screen, or on the side of the screen, all encouraging you to get the swagbutton extension for your browser. It freezes my computer on the main page (where it's in the middle of the page and you can't do anything unless you click out of it, but it'll reappear everytime you return to the page). At one point, out of desparation, I downloaded the spyware swagbutton, just to get rid of the popups. Guess what? They didn't go away. No matter what, you're spammed spammed spammed.

- Then there are the ads. I get that ads generate revenue, but they pick the ones that lag the most and put them where they're distracting from the site. And did I mention the swagbutton popups are still there?

- They changed the way to send in a ticket so now it's difficult if not impossible to get credit when you get ripped off.

- They delete posts on their FB page if you complain about something like a survey (not allowed to complain about surveys, it's a rule) or vent your frustration over nothing crediting.

TL;DR
It used to be good, but now it's a waste of time.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect credit for anything you do. Then you won't be disappointed when nothing you do credits.

adamm132
11/27/16

$#*! swagbucks most of the time you dont qualify

tiffanyk17
11/25/16

I legitimately signed up for subscription through their site. They deactivated my account the next day when I was trying to check my status after they took all my information. I feel like they are scamming people for their personal information!!!! I feel so unsafe now because I have my home address to them!

samw134
11/21/16

The positive reviews are clearly company plants. Like many others have said, as soon as I redeemed my points, they deactivated my account for "noncompliance" with no explanation or specific reason while keeping all points I earned. Clearly an unethical scam.

paigeh11
11/19/16

Swagbucks wiped out all my earned SB today without any reason! Don't waste your time make money for them not for yourself!

vasilyc
11/17/16

I effected 2 (just two!) purchases at Swagbucks, then my account was deactivated (of course with all my money there) - as they said, "for noncompliance with our Terms of Service", and they refused to explain what exactly was wrong. Clearly, stay away.

ashleyh101
11/13/16

Jumping through hoops to possibly earn Penny's. And cooperation's and whoever now have all of my personal info. Stay away!!!!!!

6 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

34 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Swagbucks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
miccic
Micci C.
on 11/1/16
Answer
manuelam5
manuela m.
A: Yep it take an hour to make 20 centsI timed it yesterday 11/26/2016 And that is with the 5sb rip off
on 11/27/16
on 10/3/16
Answer
js251
J S.
A: Don't bother emailing them. They will not credit you anyways even if you have proof. Some of the offers are scams. Swagbucks used to be legit and reliable now I am not so sure
on 12/15/16