US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

steveng83
8/20/16

If you scroll down the list of reviews here you will notice that the reviews with 1 and 2 stars have the most votes for being helpful. A blind man can see this is a deliberate attack in an attempt to discredit the DuckDuckGo search engine.

This is a free service that does not play the privacy violation games that google does. Also, google is politically liberal in its search results when using it for searching about politicians. I am so sick of the Internet telling me who to vote for. So far I do not find DuckDuckGo doing this.

carriec3
6/12/16

If you're using Firefox there are themes you can install with the Stylish add-on to make DDG look exactly like Google. We all hate change and prefer the familiar so this helps make the transition easier. My main complaint is the mouse rollover effect where each search result changes color when the mouse is near it is very annoying and makes keyboard scrolling awkward. There should be an option to turn this off. The other thing is that each search result does not have enough of a description or include any available dates to inform me if this is something relevant and recent I want to click on. All the search descriptions only extend out to a quarter of the page where google extends halfway giving more info. I don't want to be forced to click on each search result to see if it's what I'm looking for.
I like DDG and would use it full time if these issues were fixed. I'm completely fed up with Google's intrusive stalking and data mining. I don't want every search I've ever made in my lifetime stored for eternity.
Reviewers talking about DDG hijacking their browsers is just plain rubbish. It sounds like they are newbie computer users who don't have any technical knowledge or they are trolls.

jh397
5/9/16

I've been using DDG with Firefox for about 2 years. I've been happy with this search engine most of the time and like that it doesn't report my usage but a number of things annoy me. ++

Most annoying: when at a site I've finished with, if I type in a new search in the upper right search slot and hit <ENTER>, I will get the results of a search WITHIN the site I want to leave. The search title for the results is: "(search item) site:(website last viewed)" Example: "edward site:whitepages.com". Here I've wanted to search for "edward" on the Web but DDG constrained the search to within my last site viewed, which here is "whitepages.com". After using (typed item) <ENTER> for decades for a search on the whole internet, this is assbackwards. If I want to do a site search, I will deliberately click the DDG site search symbol (which is a kind of bullseye) in the search slot. Oh, and this setting is NOT in the DDG settings options.I have complained to DDG without response, so I'm saying it here. ++

Next most annoying is setting a search which I know will give many hundreds of results and getting only a dozen or two. I almost feel censored (and the term typed was in no way something to censor). I often have to add more terms to get results. Usually, I want the search engine to help ME by providing too many results and letting me use these results to prompt edits or conditions to my search, as necessary. I did make sure that child protection setting in DDG was off.++

3rd most annoying thing is no hint as to how many results were returned. Sometimes it's very helpful to know that there were only 17 results, total. I might need to widen my scope. Or if there were 108,500 results, then I should narrow. DDG gives no hint to this. Am I looking at all there is when I scroll down 3 pages or a bottomless pit of results (like Facebook)??? ++

I'll end there for now. I hope DuckDuckGo will improve as I do like it's look and feel MOST of the time.

andrewh115
3/15/16

these are either badly written paid-for negative reviews or reviews written by people with really poor, and I mean really really poor basic computer skills.

I have never had an issue with DDG hijacking anything I use - it is installed on all my devices - and I have selectively allowed third party cookies with no issue. no spam email, no hacking, and as the first entry is an ad ( as they say) and it is marked as an ad, I have no real problem scrolling past it.

If your computer was hacked, that sucks, but did you install from Duckduckgo or a third party. is your firewall up to date or did you turn it off to install something? Are you just really crap at keeping you computer secure and forget that it is your responsibility, not the software's, to be up to date?

the quality of the results is better than Google, who,as other reviewers have mentioned, are concentrating on ad revenue rather than quality, and far better than Bing ever was (if you are looking to be paid for writing negative reviews, try Bing, just sayin)

sma101
1/27/16

There are companies which pay people to write reviews; that's a fact because I have an acquaintance who did it for some months. I can't think why genuine users would be having trouble uninstalling DDG. I've done it several times with no problem.

DDG has never taken over as default browser and works great with Firefox.

If you want a browser to take over your life and your computer and send you endless pop ups, adverts and unwanted emails and matter of all kinds, use Google. I don't get any of that with DDG.

You may not like the interface or shorter (relevant) responses to queries but if you are happy with a clear, direct, advert and spam free browser, I would recommend trying DDG

mg63
1/14/16

I've read through some of the one-star reviews. They're BS. They describe Google more than duckduckgo. Once I used Google to look the name of what those Russian dolls that fit inside each other (Matryoshka dolls). A half hour later I got an email from a Russian mail-order bride service.

bobt73
12/23/15

I set DuckDuckGo as my homepage. When I later wanted to use a different search provider, DuckDuckGo would not allow it. Every normal avenue I attempted was prevented, and DuckDuckGo remained stubbornly my search provider. I finally did a system restore to get rid of this. I was hoping to have three different search providers, to use for different needs. But now I'm afraid of your product. Something very wrong happened. I am not the only guy who has had a problem. Bad duck.

andrewc18
6/3/15

Two main reasons I love DuckDuckGo:

1. Bang shortcuts - for example, typing "!images ducks" directs you to a Google Image Search for ducks; "!yt ducks" gives you YouTube results, "!wiki" gives you a Wikipedia page, etc. It saves you from having to navigate to a website, load its homepage, and type in the search bar.

2. No tracking - Google, Yahoo! and Bing track you all the time to give you "personalized" search results, not to mention using your IP address to generate results based on your location. DuckDuckGo gives you results relevant only to the keywords you search for.

Granted their search algorithm isn't as advanced as Google for complex queries.

Tip for consumers: If you want Google results without being tracked:
Try doing a Startpage search. Startpage essentially searches Google for you, without giving Google your information, and returns the results to you. You can go to startpage.com, OR if you use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine, use their !bang shortcut "!sp" - for example, "!sp ducks" gives you Google results for ducks on Startpage.com.

Malicious Ads:
Sure the ads can lead to malicious sites, but search engines like Google aren't compl

garyl44
5/29/15

I use DDG on firefox, and have for about 5 years. I uninstalled it for a day, just to see if the complaints about uninstalling were real, but I had no problems.Is there possibly a download site putting out a bad version or something? I decided to do a review because Avast keeps trying to get me to uninstall it - ever since they partnered with Yahoo. So now I guess I have to start looking for a new anti-virus provider...

gloriap8
5/23/15

Within 24 hours of switching my browser, scam email was sent from a very (formerly) pristine gmail account. This gmail account even had a new, very challenging password combination.

echosyne
12/9/14

My Mac desktop with Mavericks has two accounts, Admin and Secondary. I found DuckDuckGo at Apple's extensions page, installed DuckDuck Go in the Admin account and it duplicated itself in the secondary account. Search results are commercialized and simplistic. It hides from all computer searches and I cannot uninstall it. All instructions for removal that I found, even at DuckDuckGo site, do not work. I must conclude from this that Apple and DuckDuckGo are both criminal.

jackw66
11/24/14

i love this places privacy but google is better when it comes to searches.

karenk37
10/4/14

On Sept. 29,2014 I searched DuckDuckGo for Duke Energy. The first site on the list was for My.Check.Me/DukeEnergy.com. This site ripped me off for $212.10. They took the money and did not pay Duke Energy.
Right! It's not DuckDuckGo's fault because I didn't see the word AD.
However DuckDuckGo got a cut of that theft by taking a fee from check.me and promoting them to top of the list.

joec81
8/28/14

Did a test search for "least expensive voice over programs." DuckDuckGo went straight to "cell phones". A quick comparison with Google confirmed that DuckDuckGo is a waste of time.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. It is glaringly inadequate.

johnj145
6/19/14

DuckDuckGo promote Scam websites to the top of their search lists, just like the others! I thought they were an ethical business, but found out to my loss (when I trusted their link) to buy a Rod Licence. They promoted a direct link into this scam website, which had the Environment Agency name on it, without any mention of additional fees etc.
Is there ANY search engines you can trust, now? I think not, they are all morally corrupt.

charlesn14
5/10/14

As search engines go it is good. My biggest peave is I continue to get Russian web sites suggested when I search. I have set, checked and re-checked my settings, they are still where I set them originally and still the Russian sites show up. Wish I could just block anything outside the USA!!

fuzzbusters
4/21/14

Duckduckgo has been my default browser for over 1 year now. I hardly ever use Google, which is just a backup for Duckduckgo. I read some reviews that said something about duckduckgo making itself your default browser, but I have no idea what they are talking about.

johnm297
4/5/14

This is about duckduckgo.com's ability to find and rank websites. Our site ranks on page 1 of 14 of the top 15 search engines, the exception beingduckduckgo. So just how relevant are duckduckgo's results to the search term? If this is not an anomaly then not good at all.

bobk38
2/18/14

As a professional writer sometimes using the Internet for research, I find duckduckgo produces the most harmonious search outcome. You get a variety of results. There is no spinning of findings according to your past searches. If you enter an ambiguous term, it lists multiple definitions for your selection before completing its work. It is fast. It is definitely supported—but not consumed—by advertising. This is a preliminary review, but so far it earns *****.

antoniom31
2/7/14

I recommend this search engine who unlike many others like google, focuses on real results (not commercial links) and privacy for the user

maxr23
12/2/13

Best search engine right now, as of this writing. I'm not sure how they manage to do such a great job of providing fair results not cluttered with ads (is their bandwidth free, do they not have bills to pay?), but if they manage to stay that way I will continue to use them daily. I used to use other search engine, one beginning with a letter G, but not anymore. I would out that the G engine prefers whoever pays them the most, so you end up with not fair results as non-paying websites get pushed to the bottom. There is no such discrimination with duckduckgo.com I just hope they stay that way. I love how more results get fetched when you scroll to the end of the page, there's no need to click anything.

ericl38
11/30/13

DuckDuckGo provides great results in an easy to search site. I've found things on here that I didn't find elsewhere, and it's service is quick and easy to use! Highly recommended!

tonyb60
11/20/13

duckduckgo receives my praise in no small part due to their devotion to protecting the privacy of the user. The search engine itself works very good.

davidb158
8/27/13

Good alternative search engine to some of the more well known. Google is too ad oriented these days and has lost sight of good solid search results. Duck Duck Go and others (prefer BING to Google) are more on target for what this user wants in results.

Also they are anonymous search queries if that is something anyone is concerned about.

stever39
8/26/13

It is like a virus. Once in your computer you cannot get rid of it. Email them asking how, and no reply.

it might be the best search engine out there but when it acts like a virus, and keeps taking over my browser, I do not want it.

Wonder how many of the 5* reviews are just their spam. They are good at that

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the DuckDuckGo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question