Review of DuckDuckGo

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

bobb1239
4/25/17

hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate ithate it

hubhubb
3/6/17

I found out that DuckDuckGo used to set a tracking cookie, even though they claimed they didn't. (!) Back then, I used DuckDuckGo as my default search engine believing I was totally safe. Now I hate them more than Google, at least with Google you know what you're getting yourself into. You can read all about it here: https://archive.is/qntuk I would switch to secure search engines like ixquick, searx or Startpage.

davids704
3/5/17

Just as often as not when I want to see a geographical location--i.e., a map--this inept would-be search tool offers nothing but articles or images with no map option. Simply put, literally half my searches for locations end in Google. Why bother. Much like the false hype of Apple.

piperm1
1/20/17

Accidentally bumped into this search engine while using one of the known browsers. Seems to work well, but I dont really get the point of actually using this.

billp92
1/14/17

You want to know why the bad reviews you see here? It is very easy to understand last year in june 2015 DDG exceeded 10 million searches in a day. Google and some of the others are seeing that as taking a cut of their profits from selling you out for cash money......lol By all means feed the machine Google didn't get where they are from allowing others to cut into their profits. Even though they are small in comparison to Google they provide a vastly superior service for FREE they don't sell you out track you or abuse power. Out of the bad reviews I really can't put any stock in any of them. Hi jacking your browser....lol what a joke DDG don't install anything on your end. It is a link in your browser and that is all. I run a good AV and it SAYS that DDG is not tracking you and it is a Premium AV and rated among the BEST. Google that is a different story I get several tracking responses there. As well as yahoo, Bing, and most the others as well. Can't uninstall another joke of a remark a 3 year old could uninstall it is so easy! I personally feel they are paid spammers just like AVAST I think they are in bed with the completion. By their own admission on their forums they said they have found nothing wrong with DDG but yet they recommend changing your search engine because it might not be safe.

jessicas213
1/9/17

If you originally have trouble finding what you are looking for with duckduckgo, you can improve your searching strategies and get pretty good at it...there are lots of options available in the advanced searching. However if you have little or no patience searching and don't care about your searches getting logged or not and being traceable in realtime, this probably is not a good search engine for you.

genes70
12/25/16

DuckDuckGo came with an update of my SeaMonkey browser. I read mostly positive reviews about it but when I tried it, it couldn't find "Rose of Alabama", a civil war song. Instead it gave me Rose Warehouse a business as the only option to my search.

ralphe20
12/21/16

Having been with Microsoft and changed to Ubuntu I have now changed from Google to DuckDuckGo. My computer just loves these 2 simple changes. I consider Microsoft and Google to be just a bunch of money grabbing s-l-o-w my computer down crap. Install Ubuntu and DuckDuckGo and your computer will fly.

ueberu
Ueber U.
12/10/16

Good search results, often quite similar to those of Google, but DuckDuckGo does not track you like some other search engines do. Clean interface, too. And you can decide if you want to see ads or not.

bobh133
10/10/16

I search for GLD, the investment symbol for GOLD, and Duck changes it to search for GOD!
Many times I do not realize they have changed the search item title and I waste a lot of time wondering and searching the results for GOD. There is no way to opt out of this automatic "correction", so I have gone back to Google. DuckDuckGo just doesn't get it.

ronaldm84
9/2/16

clean layout, good results (not great), MAJOR BENEFIT, you can search on a topic without fear of getting slammed with banner ads related to that topic, which seems to be how Google operates. I would rather stick with good search results from a company that is getting better, than work with better search results from a company that is getting worse.

maco13
8/30/16

DuckDuckGo needs to improve some search results, but their privacy policy and results cleanness presentation makes DuckDuckGo my web search engine of choice. It is defined as my default search engine on Safari.

steveng83
8/20/16

If you scroll down the list of reviews here you will notice that the reviews with 1 and 2 stars have the most votes for being helpful. A blind man can see this is a deliberate attack in an attempt to discredit the DuckDuckGo search engine.

This is a free service that does not play the privacy violation games that google does. Also, google is politically liberal in its search results when using it for searching about politicians. I am so sick of the Internet telling me who to vote for. So far I do not find DuckDuckGo doing this.

carriec3
6/12/16

If you're using Firefox there are themes you can install with the Stylish add-on to make DDG look exactly like Google. We all hate change and prefer the familiar so this helps make the transition easier. My main complaint is the mouse rollover effect where each search result changes color when the mouse is near it is very annoying and makes keyboard scrolling awkward. There should be an option to turn this off. The other thing is that each search result does not have enough of a description or include any available dates to inform me if this is something relevant and recent I want to click on. All the search descriptions only extend out to a quarter of the page where google extends halfway giving more info. I don't want to be forced to click on each search result to see if it's what I'm looking for.
I like DDG and would use it full time if these issues were fixed. I'm completely fed up with Google's intrusive stalking and data mining. I don't want every search I've ever made in my lifetime stored for eternity.
Reviewers talking about DDG hijacking their browsers is just plain rubbish. It sounds like they are newbie computer users with no technical skills and got themselves some malware, or they are trolls. DDG doesn't require any installation or download so how could your browser get hijacked?

jh397
5/9/16

I've been using DDG with Firefox for about 2 years. I've been happy with this search engine most of the time and like that it doesn't report my usage but a number of things annoy me. ++

Most annoying: when at a site I've finished with, if I type in a new search in the upper right search slot and hit <ENTER>, I will get the results of a search WITHIN the site I want to leave. The search title for the results is: "(search item) site:(website last viewed)" Example: "edward site:whitepages.com". Here I've wanted to search for "edward" on the Web but DDG constrained the search to within my last site viewed, which here is "whitepages.com". After using (typed item) <ENTER> for decades for a search on the whole internet, this is assbackwards. If I want to do a site search, I will deliberately click the DDG site search symbol (which is a kind of bullseye) in the search slot. Oh, and this setting is NOT in the DDG settings options.I have complained to DDG without response, so I'm saying it here. ++

Next most annoying is setting a search which I know will give many hundreds of results and getting only a dozen or two. I almost feel censored (and the term typed was in no way something to censor). I often have to add more terms to get results. Usually, I want the search engine to help ME by providing too many results and letting me use these results to prompt edits or conditions to my search, as necessary. I did make sure that child protection setting in DDG was off.++

3rd most annoying thing is no hint as to how many results were returned. Sometimes it's very helpful to know that there were only 17 results, total. I might need to widen my scope. Or if there were 108,500 results, then I should narrow. DDG gives no hint to this. Am I looking at all there is when I scroll down 3 pages or a bottomless pit of results (like Facebook)??? ++

I'll end there for now. I hope DuckDuckGo will improve as I do like it's look and feel MOST of the time.

andrewh115
3/15/16

these are either badly written paid-for negative reviews or reviews written by people with really poor, and I mean really really poor basic computer skills.

I have never had an issue with DDG hijacking anything I use - it is installed on all my devices - and I have selectively allowed third party cookies with no issue. no spam email, no hacking, and as the first entry is an ad ( as they say) and it is marked as an ad, I have no real problem scrolling past it.

If your computer was hacked, that sucks, but did you install from Duckduckgo or a third party. is your firewall up to date or did you turn it off to install something? Are you just really crap at keeping you computer secure and forget that it is your responsibility, not the software's, to be up to date?

the quality of the results is better than Google, who,as other reviewers have mentioned, are concentrating on ad revenue rather than quality, and far better than Bing ever was (if you are looking to be paid for writing negative reviews, try Bing, just sayin)

sma101
1/27/16

There are companies which pay people to write reviews; that's a fact because I have an acquaintance who did it for some months. I can't think why genuine users would be having trouble uninstalling DDG. I've done it several times with no problem.

DDG has never taken over as default browser and works great with Firefox.

If you want a browser to take over your life and your computer and send you endless pop ups, adverts and unwanted emails and matter of all kinds, use Google. I don't get any of that with DDG.

You may not like the interface or shorter (relevant) responses to queries but if you are happy with a clear, direct, advert and spam free browser, I would recommend trying DDG

mg63
1/14/16

I've read through some of the one-star reviews. They're BS. They describe Google more than duckduckgo. Once I used Google to look the name of what those Russian dolls that fit inside each other (Matryoshka dolls). A half hour later I got an email from a Russian mail-order bride service.

bobt73
12/23/15

I set DuckDuckGo as my homepage. When I later wanted to use a different search provider, DuckDuckGo would not allow it. Every normal avenue I attempted was prevented, and DuckDuckGo remained stubbornly my search provider. I finally did a system restore to get rid of this. I was hoping to have three different search providers, to use for different needs. But now I'm afraid of your product. Something very wrong happened. I am not the only guy who has had a problem. Bad duck.

andrewc18
6/3/15

Two main reasons I love DuckDuckGo:

1. Bang shortcuts - for example, typing "!images ducks" directs you to a Google Image Search for ducks; "!yt ducks" gives you YouTube results, "!wiki" gives you a Wikipedia page, etc. It saves you from having to navigate to a website, load its homepage, and type in the search bar.

2. No tracking - Google, Yahoo! and Bing track you all the time to give you "personalized" search results, not to mention using your IP address to generate results based on your location. DuckDuckGo gives you results relevant only to the keywords you search for.

Granted their search algorithm isn't as advanced as Google for complex queries.

Tip for consumers: If you want Google results without being tracked:
Try doing a Startpage search. Startpage essentially searches Google for you, without giving Google your information, and returns the results to you. You can go to startpage.com, OR if you use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine, use their !bang shortcut "!sp" - for example, "!sp ducks" gives you Google results for ducks on Startpage.com.

Malicious Ads:
Sure the ads can lead to malicious sites, but search engines like Google aren't compl

garyl44
5/29/15

I use DDG on firefox, and have for about 5 years. I uninstalled it for a day, just to see if the complaints about uninstalling were real, but I had no problems.Is there possibly a download site putting out a bad version or something? I decided to do a review because Avast keeps trying to get me to uninstall it - ever since they partnered with Yahoo. So now I guess I have to start looking for a new anti-virus provider...

gloriap8
5/23/15

Within 24 hours of switching my browser, scam email was sent from a very (formerly) pristine gmail account. This gmail account even had a new, very challenging password combination.

echosyne
12/9/14

My Mac desktop with Mavericks has two accounts, Admin and Secondary. I found DuckDuckGo at Apple's extensions page, installed DuckDuck Go in the Admin account and it duplicated itself in the secondary account. Search results are commercialized and simplistic. It hides from all computer searches and I cannot uninstall it. All instructions for removal that I found, even at DuckDuckGo site, do not work. I must conclude from this that Apple and DuckDuckGo are both criminal.

jackw66
11/24/14

i love this places privacy but google is better when it comes to searches.

karenk37
10/4/14

On Sept. 29,2014 I searched DuckDuckGo for Duke Energy. The first site on the list was for My.Check.Me/DukeEnergy.com. This site ripped me off for $212.10. They took the money and did not pay Duke Energy.
Right! It's not DuckDuckGo's fault because I didn't see the word AD.
However DuckDuckGo got a cut of that theft by taking a fee from check.me and promoting them to top of the list.

14 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

22 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the DuckDuckGo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question