Western Governors University

Western Governors University

www.wgu.edu

Western Governors University has a consumer rating of 4.75 stars from 4 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Western Governors University also ranks 68th among Education Other sites.

How would you rate Western Governors University?

“Requires Responsiblity”

Jer M.
9/22/19

This university is 100% online with regional accreditation. I cannot attest to other programs, but for Information Technology the majority of the classes are tied to a certificate. In fact to pass these classes one must pass the certificate associated with it. The downside is not having a class led instructor for an exchange of ideas. The upsides well make up for it. The certificates are included with tuition, every recruiter and employer I have talked to think highly of WGU, and the tuition is low cost for a university.

jerm5
September 22nd, 2019
pennyh
March 23rd, 2011
Nice to see some online schools are not out only to make a profit. I like how state governors founded this school to help people get jobs.
thomasf8
March 13th, 2011
The only real online school out there and I highly recommend it. If you are looking to get a job and need a better education there are many online schools looking to take your money or worse tell you to get a loan and give them money. They all about ripping off their students just to make a profit. Western governors university or WGU is not like that at all. They really help you get a good online education and will give you a real online degree recognized my major corporations.
evans3
February 21st, 2011
I have been doing extensive research on online education and schools and so far this is the only one I have given a full heart to. Let me tell you why. Western governors university is a non profit as opposed to the for profit schools that are all over the internet and it is called western governors because it was founded by 19 real governors who were all trying to do the right thing and help us get a solid and less expensive education. Read this article by time magazine

Even Time magazine recommends them!!! That is a great thing in my book. They seem to focus a bit on education (which makes sense since I'm sure they are aware that we need more teachers) and have educational programs online for every thing from special education to english language learning. They also have online MBA programs too. I am thinking of doing technology and they do offer Online College of Information Technology.

The interesting thing is that they offer competency based learning meaning you get your degree by demonstrating competency rather than by credits

"It is notable for offering a unique competency-based learning model in which students earn their degrees by demonstrating competence rather than by accumulating credit hours by spending time attending classes. "

The best part I think about western governors university is the competency based learning which means you spend less money if you graduate early. You do not have to sit and wait to earn your degree. If you complete the work early, you are done and you only pay for a semester of school at a time. Want to graduate early, simply do more work. Amazing model. I do wonder if I could finish early and get an MBA and a tech degree. I think also because the main goal of this university really is to provide education for all of us (rather than making money like the for profit schools) so far this is my best pick. My only wish is that they had more online degree programs than what they currently have. I can't fault them for that but if you are lucky enough to have this online school offering your dream degree then I think this is a great place to start.

Questions? Get answers from the Western Governors University staff and other customers.

Western Governors University is an online college where you can earn an affordable, accredited, career-focused college degree at an accelerated pace. At WGU, we're student obsessed, so you'll get one on one faculty support. Start today and change your ...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Have a question about Western Governors University?