Review of TutorMing

TutorMing reviews

info@tutorming.com

sarahl518
4/10/19

I have just had my first ever Chinese class with TutorMing. My teacher Coco was amazing, she was very supportive and encouraging which gave me the confidence I needed during the class, I have already booked my next two classes for next week! I would highly recommend this company, as it is convenient you can take a class anywhere and at any time. There are also a couple of useful apps which you can practice phrases, which is great.

timeat
4/10/19

It is easy to use, fun way to learn at home and all of my teachers have been very patient so far. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn Chinese

adams562
4/10/19

Tutorming has been an enjoyable experience for me so far. Teachers are friendly and helpful and I can learn at my own pace.

sarahw406
4/9/19

I love learning Chinese with TutorMing - all of the tutors are patient, friendly and can speak English as well as being native speakers of Chinese - so they can really guide the student's learning experience. The app also includes handy phrases and the facility to save vocabularies and review lessons is a huge bonus. This style of language learning is the future, I am so happy to learn Chinese with TutorMing!

aprilm239
4/8/19

I love learning chinese with Tutorming. THey have native speakers who are really good at explaining the material.

timw319
4/7/19

I've taken lessons with TutorMing for a couple years now, and I can't say anything more about it. They have extremely helpful tutors! Thank you TutorMing!

samanthab269
4/7/19

Tutor Ming is a fun and exciting way to learn Chinese, the teachers are amazing and I can already feel myself becoming much more confident when speaking Chinese. I can learn from anywhere which is the best part about this learning experience I really recommend this as a way to learn Chinese

lizk83
4/2/19

I love learning with TutorMing. It is my favorite way to learn Chinese. I get to have one-on-one classes and practice speaking and listening. The tutors have all been friendly and patient and very helpful. Thank you, TutorMing!

pauld525
12/25/18

This is by far the best website I have come across for learning Chinese. I started learning Chinese 3 years ago after traveling to Taiwan, and have tried many websites and programs, but they either had technical problems or the service wasn't so good after the demo lesson.

TutorMing is much different. The quality of their teaching and service is amazing. You will meet many different teachers with many different stories. The dialects may not always be the same, but once you get a good grasp of the language, the slight variations in pronunciations wont matter. In fact, this learning model is probably the most helpful I've seen yet in terms of preparing you for real life Chinese conversations.

You can schedule and take classes 24/7 and access the learning material to prepare yourself before the class begins. After the class, you'll have the option of reviewing the teacher and doing a short 10 question multiple choice quiz on what you learned. After that, you can review what you've learned anytime you like.

Also, if you do have any issues with the IT side of things or a teacher isn't a good fit, customer service is very responsive and will help you a lot.

Thank you TutorMing! You guys are awesome!

simonh129
7/5/18

Currently 30 lessons in and really enjoying it. A good pace to match your ability and always new content and concepts to push you forwards. Technically its great and the playback of videos is a super nice feature. Occasionally tutors don't have a perfect internet connection, but its been a very rare problem and nothing that stops the session. I will almost certainly do more sessions with them after I have completed my current set.

gregl89
3/11/18

Ive been learning Mandarin for about 5 years and needed to step up my level, particularly conversational. Ive tried a few other sites quite thoroughly but the delivery was a let down. Often the day to day delivery didnt match trial lesson expectstions. By comparison, Tutorming have drlivered more than promised, their flexible scheduling really works for me, and the teachers have been consistently great.

anyar4
2/19/18

Teachers are nice and friends. Site is safe. My son enjoys his classes and his Chinese is progressing nicely. This is the best site I found.

ritikan1
12/24/17

I lived in Taiwan for 3years years but my pronunciation and understanding became more clear after I started my lessons from Tutorming. The customer service is awesome and the teachers are patient and friendly.

:) :)

lindah334
10/25/17

Over the years, I was looking for ways to learn Chinese. So I attended some classroom lessons and bought many audio/video books in the hope of being able to pick up the language. However, being too busy with work and family, I soon realise the travelling time to classes and the self-taught method didnt work out as I would have expected.

I was thinking to give up. Until one day while searching for Chinese classes online, I came across the TutorMing website. The demo lesson had persuaded me to sign up for a year and now I am continuing into my 2nd year of learning with TutorMing.

The great thing about TutorMing is that I can schedule the classes at a time that suits me, the lessons are tailored around my level and lessons are made available prior to the classes so I can preview them. The one-on-one classroom structure has given me the opportunity to practise my speaking skills and then finally doing the homework.

During classes, if we ever encounter any technical issues, IT department would promptly help and the customer service consultants are very responsive to any questions that I may have.

My Chinese has improved so much in terms of pronunciation, vocabularies and sentence structures. The teachers are very friendly and patient in guiding me through new words and correcting any mistakes I made. Along the way, I also pick up various Chinese cultures through communication with the teachers and from the provided text.

Overall, the flexibility of the class time arrangement together with an interactive on-line teaching platform and knowledgeable teachers make up for a great Chinese language learning experience.

I would not hesitate to recommend TutorMing to anyone who is trying to learn Mandarin Chinese.

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Linda, thank you for your review. We are glad to have the opportunity to help you brush up your Chinese skills.
erich279
10/19/17

Tutor Ming has been a fantastic experience for me so far. I'm a 41-year-old American, studying Mandarin for the first time. After almost one year, I've made great strides in my speaking and listening! As a college professor, I can honestly say that the Tutor Ming teachers are truly excellent. They speak English fluently, understand grammatical concepts, and are unfailingly friendly, helpful, and good-natured!

I'll be signing up for my second year of classes very soon. I can't recommend TM enough!!!

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Eric, we appreciate your review. We will continue to deliver the best service and provide the best learning experience for you.
mattr160
10/4/17

I lived in Beijing for 1.5 years but have learned more Chinese studying with tutorming than I picked up during my entire stay in China. The customer service is great and the teachers are patient and friendly. Thank you tutorming!!

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Matt, thank you for your review. We are glad that we are able to help you improve your Chinese skills.
sylviad25
8/23/17

I'm 60 years old and I started Chinese so I would not feel out of place for an upcoming trip. I really wanted to learn the language and be able to communicate to the people there on my own. I am amazed at what I have learned in 1 year. I am thrilled with the availability and flexibility of classes whenever I want them. If I need a class earlier or later I schedule where I need it. You can also take the class on the go. There were times I thought the phone and tablet app was performing better than my old laptop. Out of approximately 160 classes I've had less than 10 classes where I couldn't proceed due to technical issues. Most of the time the technical issue was mine not TutorMing's. IT support is immediate and every effort is made to keep you up and running in the application. The best part of this learning method has been the consultants. My coaches have really worked on my speaking and listening skills. This process, the structure of the lesson, the interaction with the tutor, the ability to review your vocabulary and listen to a video of your past lesson is a superior learning tool. If someone asks me what I would recommend to take a language, I would say TutorMing, it's the best.

marks525
8/20/17

My 8 year old daughter has been using TutorMing for nearly a year and we will be buying another year's subscription - which is undoubtedly the best indication that we rate the service highly. There teachers are generally good and a few are exceptional. Love the flexibility and convenience of choosing lesson time and think lesson structure is good. Although sometimes lesson topics seem a little strange they do include good range of vocabulary and useful grammar. Only had a couple of IT problems but they have been sorted out very quickly and iOS app has been working very well for us.
The service is not perfect but it has managed to engage my daughter and her mandarin has improved tremendously - hence, as stated earlier, going to renew. Give it a try!

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Thank you Mark for your kind words. We are very happy that your daughter has seen much improvement in her Chinese, and we look forward to continuing to help her in her Chinese learning journey.
scotta67
8/7/17

My daughter is 6 years old and she loves TutorMing!

I'm not a very ambitious parent but when I heard from my colleague in Texas (American guy) that he was taking online Chinese lessons he highly recommended, I immediately looked into it for my daughter (American through and through although both of us parents are both some form of Asian). We got the pricing information, then did a trial run with Betty about 10 months ago which went great and then ended up signing up shortly after.

She likes the teachers, the web-interface is reliable for the most part, and the company is extremely accommodating and helpful. Two examples:

1. I wrote an email to customer support and asked for some suggestions to get more immersive Chinese experiences outside of the online class, like some tv shows or some online chat. TM wrote back: don't recommend online chat for a 6 y/o because potential danger for kids, but here's a list of videos and links. It's pretty awesome to know there are real, caring people on the other end.

2. We were having some attention-span issues with my daughter to sit in the 40 minute class non-stop, and asked for recommendation. TM wrote back suggesting we run some 20 minute sessions until my daughter had the necessary attention span. We did shorter sessions for many months and they took care of the accounting on the back end tracking the sessions.

My daughter seems to be picking up Chinese quite well having gone through about 1 year of lessons (and we're about to signup for another year). Caveat: nobody in our family knows how to speak Chinese, but it sounds like she knows what she's saying... Two examples:

1. We were at Walmart for some reason (who doesn't like Walmart!) and ran into a fabric attendant who seemed obviously Chinese to my eye, so I egged my daughter on to find out. My daughter struck up a conversation with the lady for about 3-4 minutes. Now, I can't hold a conversation with a stranger for longer than 2 minutes unless we're talking about the weather. So it was impressive to see her whip out her vocabulary and have a conversation. I have no idea what they were talking about but I'm 95% sure it was mandarin.

2. At the playground, my daughter ran into a visiting scholar family from China with a young 4-5 year old who had been living in the US with the parents for a few years. They were friendly, and upon learning about their impending return back to China, my daughter began talking in Chinese, singing songs, etc. It brought tears to the Chinese girls eyes because (we were told) she couldn't speak Chinese all that well and the songs and language reminded her she about to leave the good friends she made in the USA, being forced to go back to China where kids would be 100% fluent in mandarin and she would be struggling to remember to speak. This story is a little sad for that kid.

TM seems to match up the teachers really consistently with my daughter, so she's running into the same one or two or three teachers on a consistent basis in series blocks (ex: same teacher like Winnie or Maddie or Ren Wu for a few classes at least before a change), which seems the a good way to be keep and track momentum of learning. We have, once, linked her laptop into Google Chrome so that we could listen-in on the course via the TV in the other room, and it's amazing to see in 3rd person real-time how she's interacting with the teachers, it's still hard to believe the quality of the 1:1 interaction; it's a tremendous value.

As a last couple of comments. As any father or parent would want less TV and mind-numbing activities and instead provide more learning and engagement for their kids, the booking system is great and allows for 12th hour booking of courses, plus the cancellation policy is really flexible too if something comes up as TM just ask for just 4 hours notice. We'll usually book anywhere between 3-5 sessions per week all at once, and if something comes up we'll cancel if we need to. This had made it really easy to keep my daughter busy during Christmas Break, Spring break, and through a lot of this summer with a learning activity that she enjoys (she's also doing swim and drums over the summer). Occasionally we'll ask her to go through the review quizzes (there is one for each class) and spend time on her vocab bank (which is a neat app within TM to track of words she learns) and as parents we should probably be more diligent about these resources; but for the most part she's spending her time 1:1 with the teachers.

In the very first session with Betty my daughter was asked why she wanted to learn Chinese and what I remember her saying is that she wanted to be able to speak with one of her friends from class plus something about China having a big population (or something like that). Since then, when we talk about where she wants to go to college (brings my wife to tears realizing it's in her future) China always comes up as an option. It's a bit selfish, but secretly the whole family wants an insider that can order from the secret menu at the Chinese restaurants in the area. We might also sign her up for a Chinese immersion camp or after-school program in her future.

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Scott, wow, your review truly honors all of the TutorMing team. Thank you so much for all your words, and we are extremely joyful to hear all these stories of how your daughter has been able to take advantage of what she learns in class. It's also great to hear she has all her family's support in her learning, which is very important too, and is definitely a factor that will allow her to see even greater fruits in her endeavor to learn Chinese. We are excited to continue to teach her and to see what great things she gets to do with what she learns in the near future!
andyw86
6/30/17

Best customer service ever, I work in IT and understand what a good service is and they are always on top of any issue or concerns I have, they like the teachers are friendly and keen to always help.

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Andy, we appreciate your comment, and we are glad that you enjoy both your classes as well as the service and support the TutorMing gives you. We hope your Chinese continues to improve and we enjoy being part of that journey!
alexr153
5/22/17

TutorMing is an amazing website. The teachers are extremely happy and helpful plus the courses are designed around your level of Chinese. I improved my Mandarin skills extremely fast using this website, just make sure you are consistent with you classes. I would recommend TutorMing to anyone and everyone!

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Alex, thank you for reviewing TutorMing classes. Yes, being consistent about taking Chinese classes and maximizing exposure to the Chinese language and culture is vital in order to see great results. Thank you once again for recommending us!
maryanng22
3/31/17

I would recommend TutorMing to anyone who wants to learn Chinese from a very basic level all the way to perfecting it on more advanced levels. I could not pronounce one word in Chinese before I began at TutorMing , however I am now much more confident in speaking and understanding. It is most certainly a process however the teachers at TutorMing are very patient and excellent.

You will never regret it!

Kind regards

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi MaryAnn, learning Chinese is definitely a process, and we are happy to be part of your personal Chinese learning journey! Thank you for your review and for the time you have committed to learning Chinese with us!
scotty151
12/17/16

They promise X number of classes and strongly imply that you are getting 1 on 1 classes. When you sign up you find out that you payed for X number of group classes or 1/3 as many 1 on 1 classes as you expected.

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Scott Y., we are indeed offering 1-on-1 classes 24/7. We also offer the possibility to have up to 2 other classmates maximum in a class but that is only if these two other classmates have the same level and scheduled the class at the same time. However other than the fact that we have enough certified native teachers around the world who can support our 1-on-1 classes, the client is notified if she/he has a potential classmate and can confirm or reject it and we will just schedule separate classes. Our sincere apologies if there was miscommunication, we haven't found any client named Scott Y. though, would you like to try our demo class?
scotts224
12/7/16

I loved the flexibility of the scheduling, and also the teachers were very patient and helpful. The one thing that was missing is review of previous classes to help solidify the new vocabulary and grammar. They have a homework section but does not help with incorporating into a conversation. Other than that I highly recommend.

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Scott, we are glad you have enjoyed your classes and that you highly recommend us. We appreciate greatly your suggestion and feedback as well, and it is something that we will be taking into consideration for this new year in order to further improve the way our students learn Chinese.
leol44
11/22/16

Tutor Ming is like a Skype call between a mentor and yourself. The mentors are all random and some can be great while others lack with the expectations you would like. The website is organized and it does go a bit fast. Perfect for people who have good internet and have the time/determination to learn mandarin

Response from Wayne C., TutorMing Representative
Hi Leo, we appreciate your review because it helps people understand yet another piece of how TutorMing helps people learn Chinese. We hope you continue to enjoy the TutorMing platform and your Chinese classes, and most importantly, that your Chinese continues to improve!

Hi Stacy, We have answered your question in a separte email. Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions. :) See you soon in class!

By Customer P., TutorMing Representative

Helpful answer -1

Hi, thank you for your interest in our course. Our most popular program is Chinese Comprehensive, which includes 100 classes in 6 months, allowing you to get to the beginning of a conversational Chinese level. The cost of it is $1,680, but before you purchase any classes, we are happy to offer you a free demo class where we will place you at the right level. Please email us at info@tutorming.com if you are interested.

By Jake J.
Questions? Get answers from the TutorMing staff and other customers.

4 Photos for TutorMing