Review of TaxACT

1425 60th St NE Ste 300
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402-1284

vickyp29
3/17/19

We used them before and no problems, this time, OMG, we've been screwed out of over $16000.00 and our taxes wasn't even filed. We may be taking them to court. They need to answer there f-ing phones and help us!!!

paular121
3/15/19

I have repeatedly emailed TaxAct, called, and not one response! This has to be the worst customer service I've experienced! I'm 64 years old and have never had this kind of experience. I am so regretting not using Turbo Tax! I spent $160 on our taxes and no customer support! It is non-existent! Walk away and use another company!

jime147
3/3/19

They do not let you know well into the Federal return that there is now a $20
up-charge if you need to use Schedule C (including C-EZ). I do not like to be ripped off. I will use Turbo Tax from now on!!!

giselat5
2/22/19

I have been using Tax Act for many years now and today I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a very unprofessional and rude woman named Michelle who was extremely abrupt, not willing to listen and kept interrupting me. I feel that I overpaid for the Product I used but she wasn't willing to hear me out or offer any assistance when I expressed my concerns. I the past the fees have been a lot lower and I do understanding that there have been some changes in the government that would affect the fees. However, they have there website set up to confuse you so that you choose a more expensive product. The explanations for each product are not completely clear and when I tried to get an answer from her she seemed annoyed. For this reason I do not recommend TaxAct because they have lousy customer service and support. I will not be using them next year.

tonyb338
2/21/19

FREE FREE FREE Good luck with that !!! I live in Florida so I just have to file a federal return .Had to pay $9.95 to upgrade to Basic + to be able to import 2017 return. OK
I could live with that. Now to print your Return you need to upgrade to TaxAct Deluxe
and That will cost you $29.95. I have been using TaxAct to do my taxes for years. It used to be a good company now they are a SCAM Bait and Switch . Buyer Beware !!!!!

williamh970
2/8/19

It now costs almost $100 to do a simple a simple short form! What a rip off! It use to be a good deal and I gladly paid a small fee too e-file. Not anymore! Never again! Buyer beware!

jackj153
1/16/19

Crazy long hold times, the phone system will have you wait forever and they often don't return calls or mail at all

erinc181
9/8/18

I have used TaxAct for the last 6 years to file my returns, but NONE of my data is available. My old account just disappeared.

The website is usually not working properly which made completing my business and personal returns this year quite challenging.

THEN to top it all off, my business return would not efile and I got no explanation as to why AND I was charged twice. The phone number listed on my credit card bill is no longer in service. The new number they give is listed so quickly I had to call twice to write it down. AND they are closed on Saturday...

Not to mention I can't get a status of my personal return...

Could not get any worse than this.

chasc22
4/17/18

When starting my taxes, it said federal would be free and state would be $17. After completing everything, it changed its mind, and it wanted me to pay $100.

kerryd29
4/16/18

I used tax act for several years and have no complaints. This 2017 online version truly is not a good product. I had solar installed this year and tax act didn't even have current forms for me to fill out to get my tax credits of about $4700. Luckily, I talked with the solar installer and he said most customers use turbo tax. I followed his advice and didn't finish my return with tax act and turbo tax was very easy to use and they had all forms that made this tax credit a simple one to take. Turbo tax and tax act are now the same price, so why use an inferior product?

kurtw38
4/9/18

I used to love Tax Act; now they are garbage. Not until they very end did they tell me it would cost over $100 to file my taxes while I was under the impression it would be free. But I got over and was willing to pay. That's when the really smacked me in the face. Turns out AFTER paying, they have a few more questions and reveal to me that two of my tax forms can't even be filed with their service THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR.

Straight up a scam!

michaelh485
4/7/18

TaxAct used to provide good value. But they've destroyed that reputation with their stealth price increases this year. First, you don't learn into well into the Federal return that there is now a $10 up-charge if you need to use Schedule C (including C-EZ). And then to add insult to injury, adding a state return is now a whopping additional $37. So, our Federal + State nearly doubled -- from $35.50 last year to $64.30 *for the exact same forms*!!

ed7503
4/3/18

I've used TaxAct for years. Each year it gets worse in terms of price, usability and confidence. IMO as the price increases the quality decreases. If you live in NJ and have tax exempt investments DO NOT BUY TAXACT 2017. It does not calculate the NJ taxed versus tax exempt income correctly. If I don't use the satisfaction guarantee, it will only be because I don't have time to fight it out with them. Regardless, I will not be using TaxAct any more.

miken139
4/1/18

TaxAct user for many years, the desktop software was 'formerly' fairly priced and worked perfectly.
This year however (tax year end 12.31.17), the company under new leadership, has become a 100% disaster.
The software would not work on two different computers, both meeting the technology requirements including Internet Explorer 11. (This browser is REQUIRED for a desktop application.)
The technology Customer Support is useless and frustrating.
The product pricing has increased remarkably, even charging on a per-form-basis ($21 extra for Sch C) ... unbelievable.
The Customer Support can't even deliver on such a simply and reasonable request to "provide a receipt/paid invoice for eFiling fees, which were paid to TaxAct." No receipt, complete incompetence.
Unless you want to endure constant buggy software which fails with multiple script errors, avoid TaxAct.
After many years, I am done with this vendor, and the person wholly responsible is the Sanjay Baskaran. Blucora Inc needs to fire him.
It really doesn't get any worse than this, stay away!

anony462
2/27/18

I've used TaxAct in the past, begrudgingly, but this year as I was logging into my old account, I got a "ERROR CODE 022 Username and password not found". I've logged in with the same credentials just last week, and I use a password manager. Verified the username was correct, then I tried to change my password. I figured I had the wrong password saved in my password manager, so I input the same one. It says that is my current password, and I have to select a new one! That was the current password! Something wrong on their end, but customer support does not respond.

I have all my details there, kind of worrisome to not be able to log in and to be provided with no support.

dewayner7
2/22/18

I gave up on questions. I will never use TaxACT again in this lifetime [because it will require a lifetime for them to respond to any questions].

richardc314
2/20/18

I have been using Taxact for years without any problem. Until this year, I was a strong advocate. Despite inflation plus plus price increases year on year, I found them good value. That goodwill disappeared this 2017 tax year with the restructuring of their packages and the need to pay $15 extra for my wife's schedule C. The overall cost almost trebled although they did concede a discount when I called ( 25 minute wait) resulting in only slightly more than doubling.

For folks with basic no-frills needs there are now better very cheap choices including the IRS's own E-File - etax.com - and freetaxusa.com.

I will see what happens next year but based on past experience and the voluminous lousy feedback online, my loyalty is shot!

Do better if you can!

cindyl136
2/20/18

I've been on hold with them today for about 2 hours. That was after spending an hour trying to find out what their phone number was. Live Chat help only becomes available after you start deleting your return! BTW... Live Chat was no help either. The IRS keeps rejecting my return because a 1099 I'm enter has an FEID that doesn't seem to match the FEID that was in the IRS's efile data. I contacted the agency that sent the 1099; they have not had any other complaints and the woman that helped me filed her person taxes with no problem. Now all I want to do is delete my return and use Turbo Tax instead. TaxAct's only solution is for me to file a paper return. If I wanted to file a paper return, I would have done that from the beginning!
Customer Service has disappeared completely. Horrible company!

ke18620
2/19/18

Do not use tax act to prepare your financial returns. They mislead self employed customers into believing that they have the capability to handle their financial reporting and then after you finish your tax return; tell you that you can't e-file because they don't have the necessary forms to complete the job if you have taken any distributions from a retirement account etc. So imagine, you've taken your time to prepare your return, paid the bill and realize there is nothing you can do with it if you print the return because the necessary tax forms never come in according to their timeline and they just keep saying they will get the forms any day; which never comes! Weeks later; you are struck with an incomplete return that you can not file because even the printed version requires you to have the appropriate retirement form prepared properly by a tax expert; TaxAct denies you a refund and you are left in a lurch to pay another tax preparation company to prepare the return. May I suggest TurboTax; no problems there! I have learned my lesson; I am done with TaxAct!

franks215
2/9/18

One star rating is a gift. I have used for a number of years .. despite some problems each year This year a disaster .. unable to sign in despite several attempts and changing logins and re-registering.. Wasted two days trying to resolve. They charge a long distance call to talk.. waiting time was over an hour. By time I got a call back I had switched to Turbo Tax.. a pleasnt, Tax Act is a disgrace. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

aslanab
1/26/18

have used this site for years like most people. as it was convinient and easy, now they are charging 37.00 to file state taxes, last year none. also they imported a schedule c which i do not need anymore but cannot find how to get it off, and i cannot file my taxes until i upgrade to freelancer instead of 1040 because of the schedule c i cannot get rid of. ugg this was great 4 years ago, i now have to wait 45 minuted to get support, and theres is no phone number to be found, you have to search and search. theres no real great support here at all. and i thought i was getting ahead this year. now i have to go elsewhere to file taxes today another site another hassle.

andrewf107
1/25/18

I've always done my own taxes and have used Tax Act since it first appeared. It's been fine if you know what you're doing and don't have a complex return. Last year's version had a big price jump, which is understandable since it was still a bargain compared to Turbo Tax.

The 2017 version has already annoyed me, however. First, I discovered that I needed the "Freelancer" version since I have to complete a Schedule C. (They did give me the upgrade for free since I'm a long-time customer.) Next, I found a bug in my state's software. Then, I found the only support is via phone -- with a 40-minute wait time. There's no email support or any other way to report the bug. For this reason I wonder if I'll be using Tax Act next year.

Update 1/29/18: I found an email address for the marketing department right here on Sitejabber and sent an email asking to forward my issue to the tech department. It was indeed forwarded and I received a reply a few days later. Turned out there *is* a way to handle my issue, but it's in the *state* section, which I had to enter via a tab which I've never needed before. So, not a bug. Perhaps if I'd gone through the state interview the software would have addressed the issue. I still feel this should appear in the program's "help" file, but I'm upping my score from 3 stars to 4.

rd103
10/26/17

Had used TaxAct successfully for several years until my 2016 filing. Submitted my return and was told by the company that the IRS had accepted my return and the amount I owed would be deducted from my bank account.

When the IRS payment did not show up on my bank statement, I eventually reached an IRS operator who told me my return had not been received. She also mentioned that I was not the first TaxAct user to contact her with this same problem and suggested I petition the IRS for an abatement.

From the start of that first call, it took 4 months to finally get my taxes paid and most of my penalties abated. Part of it was my fault for misinterpreting directions and part of it was the IRS whose instructions were out of date for the 2016 filing.

On the bright side, I now have my own personal IRS tale of woe!

karlav9
10/12/17

I was trying to print review copies and then final copies of e-filed s corp returns. I kept getting a script error so I called for help. I was told to change a setting in my internet options and told that would take care of it. He then hung up. I finished doing what he said which wiped out my desktop. Folders with hundreds of pictures, worksheets, letters are now gone. I have checked the hard drive to see if they were moved or something but they are gone and I am MAD!!! Do not use this software!!!!!

patriciam193
5/14/17

wanted insurance information? must be selling that and they bumped me to 47 dollars to file a schedule c on my return am going to call the IRS

Questions? Get answers from the TaxACT staff and other customers.

TaxACT?