Review of TaxACT

1425 60th St NE Ste 300
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402-1284

cristinan22
4/15/19

The worst site to use when you have a deadline. Couldn't log in, had to create a new password about 6 freakin times. Logs you out randomly when you're almost towards the end AND NO LIVE CSR to ask questions like "why the F am I getting logged off"..... the absolute worst. Go with turbo tax

richardm841
4/15/19

Filed TaxAct online having 36 hours to deadline. No confirmation wither way. Tried to contact TaxAct be telephone and email after 24 hours. Problem suspected to be with partnership between TaxAct and VPS for payment. Forced to mail paper copy and check to IRS. What a joke EFile and customet no-service has become. Now have a larger sum of money floating around and having to try to recover electronic payment. This borders on outright fraud by TaxAct and VPS. Never use again after 10 years.

talenep
4/10/19

I have been using Taxact for quite some time. This is the worst experience I have had with them. Previous returns can no longer be imported unless you pay $14.95. I kept getting kicked when I hit the BluPrint screen which is another service they want you to pay for. I selected no and that is when I got kicked out. When I tried to go back in, my login/password came up as invalid. I called customer service only to be disconnected when they could not handle any more calls. When I finally spoke with someone, they me to call back and press 3. I spoke with another person who told me come back and press 5. Then I spoke with another person who told me send an email. I have not heard anything. I had to keep calling back because they are unable to transfer calls to other deparments. I WILL NEVER USE TAX ACT AGAIN!!!

kevenb11
4/10/19

Was supposed to get a$20 or $25 gift card for "referring" a friend to file with TaxAct. So, this was back in January with two people and nothing has ever showed up, nor has there ever been any contact from them. Also, when you are the "beneficiary" of receiving 20% off, when you follow the link provided it just so happens the price is about 20% higher so there is no net benefit. Also, the price is way jacked up from what it used to be and they "trick" you into purchasing a higher level of service than what you really need. You might only need the basic service, and all the sudden they throw the DELUXE price when you try to click the link. I have used them for years, but now I am done.

paulr286
4/9/19

Site ads say you can file ALL YOUR TAXES FOR FREE.... When you get to try and print or file your State tax, they knock you with a $20.00 fee.

Customer service reads a script - "IF WE DIDN"T DO THAT, WE'D BE OUT OF BUSINESS".

1040.COM IS FREE....

richardb958
4/5/19

TaxAct used to be my go-to tax service due to simplicity of use for the website. But this year the site screwed up and screwed up big. It is supposed to import your state withholding after finishing the Federal taxes. When doing the state taxes there is no where to verify such withholding values are in your form until you pay for the state tax (which I must mention is a separate charge). Because I e-filed this mistake is going to take more time to submit to my state an amended return, and if I don't get a refund for the state filing, will cost me an extra $40 (for nothing!) . My advice - if you do your state taxes through tax act don't e-file until you can verify the form, or better yet, just go to a tax service to do the state only, where you can speak with an actual human being.

paular121
3/15/19

I have repeatedly emailed TaxAct, called, and not one response! This has to be the worst customer service I've experienced! I'm 64 years old and have never had this kind of experience. I am so regretting not using Turbo Tax! I spent $160 on our taxes and no customer support! It is non-existent! Walk away and use another company!

jime147
3/3/19

They do not let you know well into the Federal return that there is now a $20
up-charge if you need to use Schedule C (including C-EZ). I do not like to be ripped off. I will use Turbo Tax from now on!!!

giselat5
2/22/19

I have been using Tax Act for many years now and today I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a very unprofessional and rude woman named Michelle who was extremely abrupt, not willing to listen and kept interrupting me. I feel that I overpaid for the Product I used but she wasn't willing to hear me out or offer any assistance when I expressed my concerns. I the past the fees have been a lot lower and I do understanding that there have been some changes in the government that would affect the fees. However, they have there website set up to confuse you so that you choose a more expensive product. The explanations for each product are not completely clear and when I tried to get an answer from her she seemed annoyed. For this reason I do not recommend TaxAct because they have lousy customer service and support. I will not be using them next year.

tonyb338
2/21/19

FREE FREE FREE Good luck with that !!! I live in Florida so I just have to file a federal return .Had to pay $9.95 to upgrade to Basic + to be able to import 2017 return. OK
I could live with that. Now to print your Return you need to upgrade to TaxAct Deluxe
and That will cost you $29.95. I have been using TaxAct to do my taxes for years. It used to be a good company now they are a SCAM Bait and Switch . Buyer Beware !!!!!

williamh970
2/8/19

It now costs almost $100 to do a simple a simple short form! What a rip off! It use to be a good deal and I gladly paid a small fee too e-file. Not anymore! Never again! Buyer beware!

jackj153
1/16/19

Crazy long hold times, the phone system will have you wait forever and they often don't return calls or mail at all

erinc181
9/8/18

I have used TaxAct for the last 6 years to file my returns, but NONE of my data is available. My old account just disappeared.

The website is usually not working properly which made completing my business and personal returns this year quite challenging.

THEN to top it all off, my business return would not efile and I got no explanation as to why AND I was charged twice. The phone number listed on my credit card bill is no longer in service. The new number they give is listed so quickly I had to call twice to write it down. AND they are closed on Saturday...

Not to mention I can't get a status of my personal return...

Could not get any worse than this.

chasc22
4/17/18

When starting my taxes, it said federal would be free and state would be $17. After completing everything, it changed its mind, and it wanted me to pay $100.

kerryd29
4/16/18

I used tax act for several years and have no complaints. This 2017 online version truly is not a good product. I had solar installed this year and tax act didn't even have current forms for me to fill out to get my tax credits of about $4700. Luckily, I talked with the solar installer and he said most customers use turbo tax. I followed his advice and didn't finish my return with tax act and turbo tax was very easy to use and they had all forms that made this tax credit a simple one to take. Turbo tax and tax act are now the same price, so why use an inferior product?

kurtw38
4/9/18

I used to love Tax Act; now they are garbage. Not until they very end did they tell me it would cost over $100 to file my taxes while I was under the impression it would be free. But I got over and was willing to pay. That's when the really smacked me in the face. Turns out AFTER paying, they have a few more questions and reveal to me that two of my tax forms can't even be filed with their service THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR.

Straight up a scam!

michaelh485
4/7/18

TaxAct used to provide good value. But they've destroyed that reputation with their stealth price increases this year. First, you don't learn into well into the Federal return that there is now a $10 up-charge if you need to use Schedule C (including C-EZ). And then to add insult to injury, adding a state return is now a whopping additional $37. So, our Federal + State nearly doubled -- from $35.50 last year to $64.30 *for the exact same forms*!!

ed7503
4/3/18

I've used TaxAct for years. Each year it gets worse in terms of price, usability and confidence. IMO as the price increases the quality decreases. If you live in NJ and have tax exempt investments DO NOT BUY TAXACT 2017. It does not calculate the NJ taxed versus tax exempt income correctly. If I don't use the satisfaction guarantee, it will only be because I don't have time to fight it out with them. Regardless, I will not be using TaxAct any more.

miken139
4/1/18

TaxAct user for many years, the desktop software was 'formerly' fairly priced and worked perfectly.
This year however (tax year end 12.31.17), the company under new leadership, has become a 100% disaster.
The software would not work on two different computers, both meeting the technology requirements including Internet Explorer 11. (This browser is REQUIRED for a desktop application.)
The technology Customer Support is useless and frustrating.
The product pricing has increased remarkably, even charging on a per-form-basis ($21 extra for Sch C) ... unbelievable.
The Customer Support can't even deliver on such a simply and reasonable request to "provide a receipt/paid invoice for eFiling fees, which were paid to TaxAct." No receipt, complete incompetence.
Unless you want to endure constant buggy software which fails with multiple script errors, avoid TaxAct.
After many years, I am done with this vendor, and the person wholly responsible is the Sanjay Baskaran. Blucora Inc needs to fire him.
It really doesn't get any worse than this, stay away!

anony462
2/27/18

I've used TaxAct in the past, begrudgingly, but this year as I was logging into my old account, I got a "ERROR CODE 022 Username and password not found". I've logged in with the same credentials just last week, and I use a password manager. Verified the username was correct, then I tried to change my password. I figured I had the wrong password saved in my password manager, so I input the same one. It says that is my current password, and I have to select a new one! That was the current password! Something wrong on their end, but customer support does not respond.

I have all my details there, kind of worrisome to not be able to log in and to be provided with no support.

dewayner7
2/22/18

I gave up on questions. I will never use TaxACT again in this lifetime [because it will require a lifetime for them to respond to any questions].

richardc314
2/20/18

I have been using Taxact for years without any problem. Until this year, I was a strong advocate. Despite inflation plus plus price increases year on year, I found them good value. That goodwill disappeared this 2017 tax year with the restructuring of their packages and the need to pay $15 extra for my wife's schedule C. The overall cost almost trebled although they did concede a discount when I called ( 25 minute wait) resulting in only slightly more than doubling.

For folks with basic no-frills needs there are now better very cheap choices including the IRS's own E-File - etax.com - and freetaxusa.com.

I will see what happens next year but based on past experience and the voluminous lousy feedback online, my loyalty is shot!

Do better if you can!

cindyl136
2/20/18

I've been on hold with them today for about 2 hours. That was after spending an hour trying to find out what their phone number was. Live Chat help only becomes available after you start deleting your return! BTW... Live Chat was no help either. The IRS keeps rejecting my return because a 1099 I'm enter has an FEID that doesn't seem to match the FEID that was in the IRS's efile data. I contacted the agency that sent the 1099; they have not had any other complaints and the woman that helped me filed her person taxes with no problem. Now all I want to do is delete my return and use Turbo Tax instead. TaxAct's only solution is for me to file a paper return. If I wanted to file a paper return, I would have done that from the beginning!
Customer Service has disappeared completely. Horrible company!

ke18620
2/19/18

Do not use tax act to prepare your financial returns. They mislead self employed customers into believing that they have the capability to handle their financial reporting and then after you finish your tax return; tell you that you can't e-file because they don't have the necessary forms to complete the job if you have taken any distributions from a retirement account etc. So imagine, you've taken your time to prepare your return, paid the bill and realize there is nothing you can do with it if you print the return because the necessary tax forms never come in according to their timeline and they just keep saying they will get the forms any day; which never comes! Weeks later; you are struck with an incomplete return that you can not file because even the printed version requires you to have the appropriate retirement form prepared properly by a tax expert; TaxAct denies you a refund and you are left in a lurch to pay another tax preparation company to prepare the return. May I suggest TurboTax; no problems there! I have learned my lesson; I am done with TaxAct!

franks215
2/9/18

One star rating is a gift. I have used for a number of years .. despite some problems each year This year a disaster .. unable to sign in despite several attempts and changing logins and re-registering.. Wasted two days trying to resolve. They charge a long distance call to talk.. waiting time was over an hour. By time I got a call back I had switched to Turbo Tax.. a pleasnt, Tax Act is a disgrace. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Questions? Get answers from the TaxACT staff and other customers.

TaxACT?