Staples CA

Trustpilot
1.3 / 5
Better Business Bureau
1.1 / 5

Staples CA has a consumer rating of 1.93 stars from 27 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Staples CA most frequently mention customer service and business days problems. Staples CA ranks 64th among Printer Ink sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 9.1%
How would you rate Staples CA?

“Purchase of a Computer chair online”

Rupi M.
6/27/21

I ordered a chair on Staples.ca, and it showed as "available". Actually it was out of stock. In order to let me place another order for a similiar product, they offered me a coupon for $25. The coupon value was promptly refunded to my card and the chair that i bought was as good as the one before or better. Great customer service, prompt replies to my queries and polite manner! It was such a pleasant experience! Thank you!

“Incomplete curbside pick up”

Irene M.
6/26/21

Ordered 2 items. Called for curbside pick up, told them i have 2 orders. Went home realized they only gave me 1. I called them again told the situation, they said I can pick it up whenever cuz I'm not available for the next 2 days! Now they've been calling me saying I only have 2 days to pick it up or else they will cancel my order! What an experience. So disappointed!

irenem476
June 26th, 2021

Tip for consumers:
Double check your item before leaving the store

N/a

aviva5
October 4th, 2021
Verified purchase

Worse customer service, don't ever order from here. They threw a brand new Apple Watch outside of my door on the ground, and signed it themselves, and they refuse to provide any solution whatsoever. STAY AWAY!

lyndsayb9
August 27th, 2020

My company orders our office supplies from Staples but for the past year they have not been with-holding to their policy of next day delivery. When I call to complain that our item still hasn't arrived 2 days later, they are only good at apologizing and doing nothing about it. I was then told that due to high volumes of orders they can take a few days to deliver. I asked where it said that on the website and they said it is not on there. THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING. Their site shows next day delivery. It's cheaper and faster to purchase off Amazon.

elainer202
February 26th, 2021

I have been lied to, hung up on by phone and online. There was almost $8000 worth of charges over a week ago and I was supposed to receive a credit and yet I have not. They knew there was a problem before I contacted them as deliveries were being made to my house and they even called me not accept the packages - I would strongly suggest you all verify your credit card accounts - they may have been hacked.

rezak12
November 5th, 2020

I ordered printer ink 18 days a go and still waiting to receive it! They said they'll refund my money within 5 business days, but it is now over 2 weeks and nothing refunded yet. Their online service is terrible, so disappointing!

rupim
June 27th, 2021

Tip for consumers:
If a product is really available or not.

Computer Chair

mikeh1418
September 3rd, 2020

Called to get a price match against Bestbuy.ca as there is no bestbuy in the city I live in so thought I would take advantage of the discount on toner for my laser printer, spoke to a person and they put me on hold for almost 45 minutes then told me they would not price match. Good thing I bought $1200 in toner at the same time thank you but no thank you staples.

luish112
August 14th, 2021

Being the most recognized paper store and printing services business it is far from providing good services. It is completely unbelievable that for cancelled online services you have to go in store for refunds. It is the most primitive mechanism I have heard for refunding when purchasing online nowadays. Dont buy any online services from Staples, otherwise you will be wasting ypur time going back to store.

In store printing

thomast1015
February 1st, 2021

They cheated on me! I bought more than $3k furniture from them. The quality is as garbage! And three main pieces did not deliver yet after one week based on their receipt. The status of my order is unknown! I will never buy from them.
Do not waste your money and time. It

Be careful with Staples.

Table and shelves.

alb142
May 6th, 2019

Their sales are mostly useless as they generally start out expensive and moreover conditional, excluding many items. The website is pretty slow, filled to the brim with scripts and items available to be added to cart are actually out of stock or in very limited supply. Their in store pickup system can't coordinate well with their storefront, as they held an item on order for a week without any notification. Their in-store return is fairly painless, however.

js1421
December 2nd, 2020

Placed an order for my 88 y. O. HIGH RISK FOR COVID, disabled mother. Driver refused to deliver to her apartment door. As she was walking through the lobby she heard the driver, standing just outside the building with the external door wide open (letting heat out) say, "Come on, Grandma!" She got to the box, and he left. She was unable to lift the box. She was quite upset when she called me to finish what staples was paid to do, DELIVER MY PURCHASE.
Staples lost my business.

brentd62
October 7th, 2019

They post lead time and when you call they make up info without checking. Was told two day for delivery and it took three weeks. When we called after a week they said another two days. We called after two weeks to cancel the order and they said you cannot cancel as the order is on the way. We sourced from another supplier and do not require any more. They blame a supplier, but I bought from Staples! Staples, take some responsibility. Your web site still says two days. Save aggravation and avoid.

nancyb198
April 17th, 2017

Staples is so reliable and has an excellent selection on line or in store. There is always help available and they have some pretty good sales each week.

avaj81
October 2nd, 2020
• Updated review

Staples approached to me quickly after I expressed my issue on social media. They apologized sincerely and issued a partial refund for the phone.

Refurbished phone sold as NEW
September 11th, 2020
• Previous review

I purchased an Iphone 8 from Staples.ca on Dec 2019. My iphone's camera broke down in July of this year and I attempted to have this iphone repaired with Apple under manufacture warranty. However, I was told by apple support that my phone was activated in 2017 and had been out of warranty for over 500 days. I was shocked and explained to Apple that the phone was purchased in 2019, not 2017. Apple support said if I could submit them an invoice with my serial number then they could perhaps claim my warranty. I obtained an invoice from Staples and sent to Apples, but they were unable to claim my warranty. They explained to me that since the phone was already activated in 2017, they cannot validate a secondary warranty as I'm the second owner. Apple explained to me that the phone was either a refurbished or a returned product. When I purchased the phone there was no indication on Staple's website that the phone was refurbished. I also paid for the price of a new phone. I approached Staples and they claimed the phone was new. I escalated the issue to a manager and I requested for a money back for my phone as it's unfair for me to pay for a refurbished phone for the price of a brand new phone. The manager said they would do some investigation with their vendor and will get back to me in 2-3 days. After 8 days of numerous attempts to contact Staples, I finally heard back from them today. The wrote me an email and indicate 1) I never claimed a warranty with Apple, which is false. I tried to claim warranty with Apple but I was denied. 2) Based on my serial number Apple never sold a phone to Staple's vendor, so I didn't purchase the phone from Staples.ca. I was shocked that they would respond me in this way. I have proof of purchase in my email that I bought this phone from Staples.ca. Staples will not issue a refund for the phone and asks me to repair the phone at my own cost. Staples sold me a refurbished phone but refuse to take the responsibility and since then they've been ignoring my calls and emails. I cannot believe that such a big company would treat customer in this manner!

adamg536
December 1st, 2020

GOOD PEOPLE AND EASY TO WORK WITH... MAYBE SOMETIMES. CALL THEM CHECK THEM OUT

hyderh
May 8th, 2017

I deal with the people in south keys location, I been dealing with them for the last 12years I never had any issue with them, always they have solution for any problem
I recommended this location

twor2
July 6th, 2021

I bought a black toner cartridge in April, 2021 for a Canon inkjet printer. It is now July when I need to replace the toner. The toner is defective and when I contacted customer support I was told that it's past 30 days and can't be returned as well it would need to be unopened. How would I know until I need to use it that it's defective and, how would I know if I don't open it? Completely ridiculous. They wouldn't even give me a discount for a new one to help remedy the situation. I see others have given bad ratings as well. I will take my business elsewhere even if it costs me more, purely on the principle!

warrene5
2,466 helpful votes
March 16th, 2015

I buy a lot of things for my office at Staples. They have good selection and prices.

wayneb500
March 4th, 2021

I received an eMail from Staples on March 3,2021 touting their " Clearance Event ". Since I was in the market for a new Desktop Computer, I checked in clearance. There were a number of different models supposedly available so I narrowed my choices to two ( 2) that seemed to be what I needed. On checking, both showed "Out of Stock for Delivery". I checked " Stock for Pickup " at every store in Ottawa and Gatineau for both models but only one model was available – quantity one in a store in Gatineau. I ordered it on March 3 but was told later in the day that they actually did not have what I was looking for. I then checked every store in Montreal but, again, nothing was available.

I called Customer Service and was told that they would not do anything about this situation. I don't understand how any reputable business can advertise things they know they do not have.

Going a step further, this type of thing is ILLEGAL. Section 74.04 of the Competition Act prohibits "bait-and-switch" selling which occurs when a product is advertised at a bargain price, but is not available for sale in reasonable quantities. Use of a general phrase, such as "quantities are limited," would not be a defence under this section, although it may reduce the quantity that would otherwise be required for a reasonable supply in a given situation.

eloniqued
August 27th, 2020

I ordered some folders to my school building on August 18, the information online said expected delivery August 21. I have them till the Monday because of course too good to be true. It is not August 27 and I still not have yet received the order. I live in Winnipeg a small city where everything is like 15-20 mins away. I know where the Staples are that closest me and I still have not received my order. When I call they say its on a truck and I they attempted delivery two days ago. The school doors are open from like 7- 6 because of a daycare operation furthermore we have custodians at even extended hours than the office is open. So they are lying about delivery attempts and I cannot escalate or cancel my order. I will never order online from them every again and when possible I will avoid buying from them. They are overpriced anyway. I bought the rest of my office supplies from Amazon, I just didn't think about it earlier that I could have also ordered these folders from Amazon. I will now have to order from Amazon and if the eventually bring the order, return it to Staples to get my money back. AVOID THEM IF POSSIBLE.

markj1380
August 30th, 2021

Hello,

I've been a Staples Employee(online) for almost 5 years, 2020 and 2021 are the worst year for me. I wanna vent out as Staples Canada is by far the worst company I've worked for. To be honest I understand customers who are switching over to amazon, best buy, and etc. Like legit worst system. June 2021 they have changed their system where their call center agents can't make any reshipment or replacements. Let's say they delivered you the wrong item all you get is a refund and a resolution that you need to place a new order to get the correct item. Preferred customers are unable to see their order history, can't even get an invoice online. You would need to contact customer service just to get them. And the issue now orders that were placed 3 weeks ago are being cancelled due to a system error which I don't even know why it is happening since our management didn't even provide us any details. They just advised us to just say sorry that's it LOL. Now as of this day 08/30/2021 all of those orders that were cancelled are not showing it is being processed so if a customer ordered the items that were cancelled in the first place and they placed a new order after that, they have now two orders imagine if a customer ordered $500 or more amount of orders. And they also changed the website for a cheaper one back in 2018 the website of Staples Canada is super user friendly, now? It sucks not gonna lie. You can't even filter out the correct items you need. Speaking with orders being cancelled and refunded while customers are waiting for their order, management doesn't even send emails to the customer. Customers won't even know that their orders were cancelled if they're not gonna call or contact customer service and obviously customer service will take the blame for the poor management of Staples Canada. To be honest there are a lot of issues that Staples Canada has but tired to enumerate everything.

Simple advice, think twice with Staples Canada it's a legit bottom tier retail company, not a good one like back in the old days. I just wanna vent this out as also us employees of Staples Canada our management doesn't really care about us especially with frontliners. Were the ones speaking or connecting with the customers and management should always listen to us as to what the company needs to do for a better business, but guess what they don't listen to us.

Anyways that's it. Hope this can shed some light on customers planning to order or planning to do business with Staples Canada.

carolr1114
June 4th, 2021

I ordered a home office printer, selecting a unit that showed as available. I require a printer for frequent printing while working remotely during covid. I ordered the printer & ink cartridges. The printer didn't come but the ink cartridges did; I was notified via email that the printer wasn't available. I have since tried to arrange a pick up of the cartridges from my home and have been told three times to leave it on my porch for just a few more days. It has been sitting on my front porch for over two weeks. I have paid over $100 for ink cartridges that I cannot use and can't seem to return. I can't afford that, but Staples doesn't care.

kimp527
January 12th, 2021

On November 27th, I ordered a mini fridge from Staples.ca.
After 2 weeks, I had not received any updates. I emailed the company. No response. I emailed the company a second time 4 days later, no response.
*as I was checking my account every morning for updates, I noticed a sale on Apple watches (Friday December 11). I clicked on the Apple 5 that was advertised for $299. No size or colour was available for purchase. This, I deemed as a scam to bait potential buyers into buying a lesser watch for more money and this contradicts current advertising laws (I have been on the website obsessively awaiting an update on my order and would have seen this front page ad within a couple hours of its post and these watches are commonly available).
I then called customer service and was advised my purchase would arrive on December 29th. On the 29th, there was still no update on my account.
On December, 31, I contacted customer service by phone again. I opted for a call back. I did not receive one. I called again the same day. Customer Service advised they would look into the matter and I would receive a response in 3-4 business days. With the holiday, I assumed that would be January 5/6.
No response. I called customer service on January 11. I pressed 2 (opting for a callback). I was told that the service was unavailable and was disconnected.
On Jan 12, I received an email stating that Staples could not get the fridge and that I should call customer service and discuss an alternative product (again baiting with a product they can not provide). I attempted to call customer service. Again a callback option was not available and hangup ensued. Upon arrival home after work, I called customer service and opted to wait on hold for a representative. After 45 minutes on hold, I was hung up on.
I then checked the website and noted the same product (that is not available) is still listed for sale on the website and the company is still baiting consumers to purchase a product they do not have.
I still have not received a refund. I still cannot get in touch with customer service.
There is no head office contact info to call to complain. And I have invested a massive amount of time and energy attempting to pursue what is clearly a company tactic to offer products that are not available to consumers in an attempt to coerce them to buy a product that they actually don't want.

Products used:
I never received a product

stevenl1316
December 31st, 2021

Ordered a router on xmas (i'm aware that there will be delays due to the season). The router still hadn't shown up (as of the 31st) and the online tracking tool showed "No result found." After contacting customer service (CS) I was informed that a delivery attempt was made today. I clarified with CS that I have front door cameras which showed no delivery attempts. CS then mentioned that "They will investigate on this and will update you in 1-2 business days." So now I have to wait even longer before they decide what to do with me.
Unless staples.ca has a super deal, go with amazon. The price will likely be the same and they will actually deliver, not make up some BS excuse.

joyf84
August 28th, 2020

AVOID THIS COMPANY as much as possible. On ordering online, I made several inferences that I "had to have the item by a specific date". I was promised it would arrive by Aug. 28th, the day I needed. The item never arrived, I was home all day. On calling I was told the driver stated "company not open" - this was a residential delivery! I was advised they would deliver it the following Monday or Tuesday. This was of no use whatsoever to me. Their lack of concern for a customer has cost me a transaction worth several hundred dollars.
DO NOT TRUST STAPLES WHEN GIVEN A DELIVERY DATE. They would not give me the current location of the item so I could pick it up myself, and assured me there was no one else that could help me. I had to wait until the following delivery date. I will not accept the order now, and will request a refund. I WILL NEVER USE STAPLES AGAIN, THEY ARE LOSING A GOOD, LONG TERM CUSTOMER. VERY ANGRY.

Questions? Get answers from the Staples CA staff and other customers.

Your partner for office supplies, technology and cleaning & breakroom. Discover more about Staples product range today. FREE shipping on orders over $45

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples CA?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.9
Have a question about Staples CA?