Speedtest

Speedtest has a consumer rating of 2.74 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Speedtest also ranks 101st among IT Services sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 33.3%

• The #1 place to check on your internet speed and quality.
  • This website allows you to see valuable information like download speed, upload speed and ping.

• then the download speed (and the point where I knew they where scammers) followed by 3.
How would you rate Speedtest?

“Fast and easy diagnostic tool”

Darren L.
4/29/20

Really easy to use. Useful for diagnosing performance issues. One click is all you need to do, and results appear seconds later.

“Scam beware”

Amme P.
6/9/20

Speed test called me yesterday and today pretending to be from sky. When I wouldn't go to the web address given, the man started shouting "you stupid stupid woman!" At which point I said I was reporting the call to the action fraud UK (which I did), and was told by the "sky" employee to F*%K off. Called sky to report it. Never type in a web address from a cold caller.

download speed (4) internet speed (6) upload speed (3)
darrenl22
April 29th, 2020
alanc376
June 12th, 2020
This speed test only shows the maximum speed regardless of the average speed during the test, which does NOT give an accurate picture. Many times my average speed during the test may be 30-40, but at the last second or two it jumps suddenly to 90-100 and that shows as the final speed - which is not the real picture of the average internet speeds. This test needs to be changed to reflect an average test speed or else it's not worth using. Speedof.me does an average of several quick tests and is a much more accurate and honest picture of what to expect coming from your ISP.
patrickf33
June 6th, 2017
I saw the complaints of unfairness, scamming, etc. I just ran approx 15 speedtests on 5 sites OTHER than speedtest.net. All were the same +/- 10 Mbps (normal). All put me at an average of 60 Mbps download and 5.70 upload.

It should be noted that for an accurate test, you should run it with a wired (ethernet) connection, not over wifi, which can cause extremely varied results.

If you don't trust me, or speedtest.net do your own tests.

Of note is that AT&T is one of the sites that put my speed as almost equal to what speedtest said. They have no financial interest in fudging my data upward--if they were trying to benefit, they'd fudge it downward, and try to convince me to leave my isp.
aliab5
June 7th, 2017
Good thing to check the connection speed + an app to do so on the wireless networks I`m on. Easy to use with quite a few ads though.
miker223
November 28th, 2016
I recently detected my internet was very sluggish on my pc, tv and laptop at my home. So I checked Speedtest.net and it's telling me I have a download speed of 244 mbps! No freaking way! So I tried another site Measurement Lab which came in at 73 mbps. Which to me sounds more realistic. I'm apt to believe the other reviews here regarding Speedtest's association/involvement with the ISPs.

Tip for consumers: Check other sites as well.

ammep
June 9th, 2020
lawrencef29
May 13th, 2018
The only real speedtest is googles version because it gives me close to exact information. speedtest.net said i had 20 ping but when i went to play a game it was in actuality 3000ms and unplayable. The fake website said i was getting 300kp per sec download but when i went to check on one of my downloads i was only getting around 20kbps. Please don't trick yourself into thinking that your internet is good and don't use this website. Ps my wifi sucks
dominickf11
October 23rd, 2017
When I purchased the Speedtest application I had NO IDEA they would, ultimately, change/enhance their Privacy Policy to include gathering ALL the information they can glean off your computer from use of that application. They THEN sell/use all your data they can glean. I liken this policy to a Hacker stealing all of my personal information. Malware is NOT needed. Their corporation (Ziff Davis) are an anathema to internet users expecting just a MODICUM of safety in the US. A HEADS-UP to all users. I contacted their lawyers and the reply was: "By beginning the test, you are agreeing that such data may be collected during the test and used in accordance with our privacy policy. If you do not wish to have such data collected or used, do not use the Speedtest products or applications." USER BEWARE!
fabianom15
January 2nd, 2019
speedtest.net will not detected simple download or upload problems and so it is a pretty fake and inaccurate tool and it's been that way for a loooong time now. It will be accurate only if you have no problems with your ISP.
pavithag
September 27th, 2018
My opinion About Airtel Add, they says that ookla says India's fastest network is Airtel in this I can say that u people spoiling your name plzzzz. Please remove that word because Airtel is a worst network ever I seen...
Tied of complaining to dem so bringing to your notice hoping for the best..
flicg
July 7th, 2013
It is flash based and doesn't work on iOS devices... it's also slow to load!
speedof.me is somehow better... since it is html5 based with cool graphic!
tomc107
February 13th, 2016
I use several of these Intertnet speed sites and they always always agree including this one.
lamonte5
November 21st, 2018
I received a call on my landline asking about my internet speed, claiming to be from BT Broadbrand. They were very insistent on me needing a "computer". It was a man with an Indian Asian type accent! He asked me to go on the website and consent. Something told me to check reviews first as the man on the phone seemed unprofessional and suspicious. Upon checking I alerted him to the fact that there were negative reviews of this website. He immediately said "hang up and I will call you back on another line, which didn't make any sense. Needless to say he didn't call back and realised that I was on to him! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Do not press "I consent"! THEY STEAL ALL DATA FROM YOUR COMPUTER AND SELL IT TO THIRD PARTIES!
dinkt
July 2nd, 2013
Itested on other sites and got pretty crappy results. So, I called Comcast and said so, they directed me to speedtest.net. First thing I told the guy was I noticed that it was testing at a local Comcast site, the site reports where you are sending info. He said he knew nothing about that. I ASK HIM if this was a Comcast site, he said ABSOLUTELY NOT. He then told me he checked my connection and all was in order and I should be at 20mb d/l and 5mb u/l tjhe previous sites said I was at about 5mb d/l and like 4mbu/l.
Low and behold, speedtest, net said I was blazing along at 21.82kbps d/l and 3962kbps u/l.
I fimnd this EXTREMELY SUSPECT.
So, beware would be my suggestion.
davidf332
April 22nd, 2018
I compared the web page tester against the Windows 10 app rating both out of 10.
Web page tester: 9 (Acceptable: No way to report issues)
Windows 10 app: 1 (Terrible: Very Inconsistent test results, no Help About and no way to report issues)

Clicking GO several times in the Windows 10 App provides a high variation in results (download: 10-138mbs, upload: 14-18mbs). The web page tester provides expected results (download: 100-150mbs, upload 11-13mbs).

I suspect the implementation of the Windows 10 app was assigned to someone who knows about implementing apps on Windows 10 but less about handling network events and measuring throughput.

I rate the Windows 10 app as extremely poor -- app needs testing before distributing. To be a network distributed application it must have Help About with software version and provider and any legal notices, especially if there are privacy considerations.

I have uninstalled the Windows 10 app for fear of privacy violations.
deepaks37
October 5th, 2017
Speedtest.net is awarded Airtel to the fastest data 4g, but what I get result is 0.03 mbps etc etc I dont find to attach a screen shot of my discussion with my FIL
ah425
March 25th, 2013
Whenever my internet speed is slow, this is where I go to figure out if it's a local or regional problem.
brians93
March 3rd, 2014
The #1 place to check on your internet speed and quality. This site accurately tells you what speeds your actual getting compared to what you are paying for. Simple interface and gets the job done. Great mobile app too.
armaans
March 2nd, 2016
The results given on this site are in favor of ISP's, incorrect and not consumers. They must be cheating or drowned into corruption with ISP's.
dianek17
April 1st, 2014
Have to use speedtest.net at least once a week and send results in to main office... Love this site. Easy to navigate and always and accurate result!
jesseg
February 22nd, 2010
I do a good amount of online gaming and have friends ask me how they can tell if their internet service is good enough for online gaming.

This website allows you to see valuable information like download speed, upload speed and ping. This information will help give you an idea about just what you can expect your internet to do. Or if you just would like to know how good your internet is, run there very easy to use website.
jayc53
January 25th, 2014
I went to this site at the advice of my tv provider Direct TV (bundled with AT &T internet). They stated my internet speeds were 4.0 and. 75 respectively which is simply not true. The worst is about to come, they offered a simple scan to boost my computers speed so I clicked the button it finished the scan and told me to reboot my computer and it hasnt worked since. It says I have a missing dlnet file and won't boot up. Be warned! Stay away from this site. Any site that has software that ruins computers should be banned from the internet.
sabinm
August 25th, 2016
Speedtes.net takes money from ISPs to fake internet speed. My idea broadband connect is having a pathetic 0.2Mbps speed, this useless site is saying that my speed is 2.5Mbps. Even in Playstore this useless service is number one. They might have made 1000s fake reviews in Playstore. Use testmy.net to get good speed results.
naveens7
March 1st, 2016
Speedtest.net is a completely scam site, it is faking the internet connection speed. There might be a possible chances of tie up with ISP's. You can check the proofs in the below link

tpm
August 1st, 2011

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Speedtest staff and other customers.

Test your Internet connection bandwidth to locations around the world with this interactive broadband speed test from Ookla

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speedtest?

Have a question about Speedtest?