Speedtest

Speedtest has a consumer rating of 2.74 stars from 31 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Speedtest also ranks 95th among IT Services sites.

• the #1 place to check on your internet speed and quality.
  • This website allows you to see valuable information like download speed, upload speed and ping.

• 2.then the download speed (and the point where I knew they where scammers) followed by 3.
How would you rate Speedtest?

“On par with other test sites”

Patrick F.
6/6/17

I saw the complaints of unfairness, scamming, etc. I just ran approx 15 speedtests on 5 sites OTHER than speedtest.net. All were the same +/- 10 Mbps (normal). All put me at an average of 60 Mbps download and 5.70 upload. It should be noted that for an accurate test, you should run it with a wired (ethernet) connection, not over wifi, which can cause extremely varied results. If you don't trust me, or speedtest.net do your own tests. Of note is that AT&T is one of the sites that put my speed as almost equal to what speedtest said. They have no financial interest in fudging my data upward--if they were trying to benefit, they'd fudge it downward, and try to convince me to leave my isp.

“Fake and inaccurate”

Lawrence F.
5/13/18

The only real speedtest is googles version because it gives me close to exact information. speedtest.net said i had 20 ping but when i went to play a game it was in actuality 3000ms and unplayable. The fake website said i was getting 300kp per sec download but when i went to check on one of my downloads i was only getting around 20kbps. Please don't trick yourself into thinking that your internet is good and don't use this website. Ps my wifi sucks

download speed (4) internet speed (5) upload speed (3)
lawrencef29
May 13th, 2018
fabianom15
January 2nd, 2019
speedtest.net will not detected simple download or upload problems and so it is a pretty fake and inaccurate tool and it's been that way for a loooong time now. It will be accurate only if you have no problems with your ISP.
pavithag
September 27th, 2018
My opinion About Airtel Add, they says that ookla says India's fastest network is Airtel in this I can say that u people spoiling your name plzzzz. Please remove that word because Airtel is a worst network ever I seen ...
Tied of complaining to dem so bringing to your notice hoping for the best..
lamonte5
November 21st, 2018
I received a call on my landline asking about my internet speed, claiming to be from BT Broadbrand. They were very insistent on me needing a "computer". It was a man with an Indian Asian type accent!! He asked me to go on the website and consent. Something told me to check reviews first as the man on the phone seemed unprofessional and suspicious. Upon checking I alerted him to the fact that there were negative reviews of this website. He immediately said "hang up and I will call you back on another line, which didn't make any sense. Needless to say he didn't call back and realised that I was on to him! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Do not press "I consent"!! THEY STEAL ALL DATA FROM YOUR COMPUTER AND SELL IT TO THIRD PARTIES!!!
davidf332
April 22nd, 2018
I compared the web page tester against the Windows 10 app rating both out of 10.
Web page tester:9 (Acceptable: No way to report issues)
Windows 10 app:1 (Terrible: Very Inconsistent test results, no Help About and no way to report issues)

Clicking GO several times in the Windows 10 App provides a high variation in results (download: 10-138mbs, upload: 14-18mbs). The web page tester provides expected results (download: 100-150mbs, upload 11-13mbs).

I suspect the implementation of the Windows 10 app was assigned to someone who knows about implementing apps on Windows 10 but less about handling network events and measuring throughput.

I rate the Windows 10 app as extremely poor -- app needs testing before distributing. To be a network distributed application it must have Help About with software version and provider and any legal notices, especially if there are privacy considerations.

I have uninstalled the Windows 10 app for fear of privacy violations.
deepaks37
October 5th, 2017
Speedtest.net is awarded Airtel to the fastest data 4g, but what I get result is 0.03 mbps etc etc I dont find to attach a screen shot of my discussion with my FIL
miker223
November 28th, 2016
I recently detected my internet was very sluggish on my pc, tv and laptop at my home. So I checked Speedtest.net and it's telling me I have a download speed of 244 mbps! No freaking way! So I tried another site Measurement Lab which came in at 73 mbps. Which to me sounds more realistic. I'm apt to believe the other reviews here regarding Speedtest's association/involvement with the ISPs.

Tip for consumers: Check other sites as well.

armaans
March 2nd, 2016
The results given on this site are in favor of ISP's, incorrect and not consumers. They must be cheating or drowned into corruption with ISP's.
patrickf33
June 6th, 2017

If you don't trust me, or speedtest.net do your own tests.

aliab5
June 7th, 2017
Good thing to check the connection speed + an app to do so on the wireless networks I`m on. Easy to use with quite a few ads though.
jayc53
January 25th, 2014
I went to this site at the advice of my tv provider Direct TV (bundled with AT &T internet). They stated my internet speeds were 4.0 and .75 respectively which is simply not true. The worst is about to come, they offered a simple scan to boost my computers speed so I clicked the button it finished the scan and told me to reboot my computer and it hasnt worked since. it says I have a missing dlnet file and won't boot up. Be warned! stay away from this site. Any site that has software that ruins computers should be banned from the internet.
sabinm
August 25th, 2016
Speedtes.net takes money from ISPs to fake internet speed. My idea broadband connect is having a pathetic 0.2Mbps speed, this useless site is saying that my speed is 2.5Mbps. Even in Playstore this useless service is number one. They might have made 1000s fake reviews in Playstore. Use testmy.net to get good speed results.
naveens7
March 1st, 2016
Speedtest.net is a completely scam site, it is faking the internet connection speed. There might be a possible chances of tie up with ISP's. You can check the proofs in the below link

nunyabisn
December 25th, 2014
COMPLETE B***S***!!!!!! My internet has been running rather slow lately(not just this pc, but all my pc's, in which I have four) so I decided to check to see if it was my pc's some how ( IDK how FOUR PC'S COULD BE SLOW WITH A VIRUSE WHEN I MAINLY ONLY USE 1, and since I only use 1 of my four pc's, the other 3 are pretty much free of cookies and necessary clutter.) I did this by doing one the most efficient test possible. a friend of mine had recently purchased a BRAND NEW PC that he ORDERED from a manufacturer. Yes, that's right, it was NOT off the shelf from Wal-Mart, but ordered with HIS specified hardware to fit his needs. in the end hid pc cost him more than most people make in a month. over $1,500. he received this pc yesterday, and today I had him bring it over. (he was bragging about the fast speed when playing his games. And I'm talking WOW and COD, as well as some new games like GTA 5, that's right GTA5.) they all ran fast at his house and I mean the ONLINE portion of these games. so he brought it over and we hooked it up to my INTERNET. It ran slower than $#*!. and $#*! doesn't run. took just under a minute to load Google's home page. now here is where the fun (and LIES) start. we went to speedtest.net because some techy from Comcast said "SPEEDTEST.NET GIVES ACURATE RESULTS AND IS MY PERSONALL GO TO SITE TO SEE IF MY CONECCTIVITY IS SLOW". so, with me at my pc and my friend at his, we both hit the Begin test button at the same time. 1.first was the Ping test which took a little over 20 seconds to complete. 2.then the download speed (and the point where I knew they where scammers) followed by 3. the upload test. Well, here is what speedtest.net said my results were. 1. for the ping test this website said it took only 5ms. Really? 5ms. REALLY? because we had are $#*!ing stopwatches out (in reality we didn't really have an actual stop watch because where not gym teachers, but the stop watch on are apple iPhones) and it said it took 21.29 seconds for the bar to fill up. next was the download speed and you guys are going to want to read this. according to speedtest.net, MY download speed was an ALIEN 122.2Mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I $#*! you $#*!ing not. my friends brand new 1,500 dollar pc was a whopping 89.34Mbps.

Now for those of you who don't know that much about the internet, a ping test is how fast your pc connects the server, (think of the search engines, when you type something in and hit search they comeback with a something like 12,244 pages found in 0.0067 seconds.) so if your pc say WAITING FOR A RESPONSE FROM GOOGLE, it means it hasn't connected yet.

Now the upload speed. some of you might recall seeing commercials or even hearing your IPS talk about the new FIOS connectivity which allows UPTO 50Mbps. this is what big businesses use and is pretty expensive.( I should know as I am shelling out great amount for this on a monthly basis) It is the fastest a consumer(that's me and your) can get. And, as far as I know NO IPS PROVIDES SPEEDS UPTO OR EXCEEDING 100MBPS, SO HOW THE $#*! IS MINE SO $#*!ING HIGH? OH wait, I know, because there $#*!ing lying.

Its like an apple IPHONE. You know when you hop on the web and the iPhone says you have full bars but you can't connect to anything web pages and the few that you are able to connect to take $#*!ING FOREVER. but apple will sit there and say "oh no, no, no, are stuff is top of the line" yea top of the line Bull $#*!.
timh7
April 12th, 2011
ISP providers like you to use this speedtest, because it is hopelessly unrealistic.
Beware.
Thaivisa gave me upload around 100kbps, speedtest.net say 600kbps.
Big difference, and I know speedtest is wrong, as I cannot use my webcam on some sites - too slow for them.
muralidharas
January 6th, 2011
This site is a scandal. Always, AT&T ask me to test on this site. When I have terribly slow and connections dropping and can't even refresh any page and load just a html site, this would test for 2.3mbps to 2.5mbps. Other site tested my speed as 46kbps to 400kbps. But, this site always give the good result.
This should be scandal for some testing takes as long as 2 minutes and still it says 2.5mbps . May be they are only testing the burst speed ?. But, ISP are using it for their advantage.
dominickf11
October 23rd, 2017
When I purchased the Speedtest application I had NO IDEA they would, ultimately, change/enhance their Privacy Policy to include gathering ALL the information they can glean off your computer from use of that application. They THEN sell/use all your data they can glean. I liken this policy to a Hacker stealing all of my personal information. Malware is NOT needed. Their corporation (Ziff Davis) are an anathema to internet users expecting just a MODICUM of safety in the US. A HEADS-UP to all users. I contacted their lawyers and the reply was: "By beginning the test, you are agreeing that such data may be collected during the test and used in accordance with our privacy policy. If you do not wish to have such data collected or used, do not use the Speedtest products or applications." USER BEWARE!!!
charliel14
March 14th, 2013
All these sites that test your speed are based in some way on command line stuff. SO... lets see if they match up. I have AT&T and they always tell me to use Speedtest.net and "See your ping is fine." Theese same techs DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT WHEN I SHOW THEM MY TRAPS!

Speedtest.net reported this.

28ms ping - This is how long it takes 1 packet of information to go fro my computer to that server. 1000ms is 1 second.
17.46 Mb/s Down - This is better than promised. See below.
1.47 Mb/s Up - As promised. See Below.

Depends on the document. A small Word document should only take a 2 or 3 KB, a music track takes about 3Mb and a picture takes less than 1MB on average. Notice the large B... Mb is mega bits, MB is mega bytes. 8 bits to a byte. Do the math.

If you are on a windows machine Click Start then run or in the search box type cmd or cmd.exe and you will get a DOS screen(If you are a LINUX or other OS user... you know all this and I don't know mac at all.). It's a black screen with white letters. Now you can type ping speedtest.net or Iike to add a few flags to it. -t means it will continue to run and -l allows you to set the paket size. So I type ping speedtest.net -t -l 1000. Below are my results. p.s. to stop this CTRL+C.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>cd..

Reply from 74.209.160.12: bytes=1000 time=4236ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.209.160.12: bytes=1000 time=4239ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 74.209.160.12:
Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 4240ms, Average = 1097ms
Control-C
^C
C:\>

As you can see 28ms is BULL... here 50ms is the minimum and 4240 is the longest tis test took. THATS OVER 4 SECONDS! Now granted I'm having issues with my line that it's taken them MONTHS to even admit there is a problem, but this I think definitively answers your questions.

Trace Routes are VERY helpful too. Learn your DOS commands. Just google it...
flicg
July 7th, 2013
it is flash based and doesn't work on iOS devices...it's also slow to load!
speedof.me is somehow better... since it is html5 based with cool graphic!
dinkt
July 2nd, 2013
Itested on other sites and got pretty crappy results. So, I called Comcast and said so, they directed me to speedtest.net. First thing I told the guy was I noticed that it was testing at a local Comcast site, the site reports where you are sending info. He said he knew nothing about that. I ASK HIM if this was a Comcast site, he said ABSOLUTELY NOT. He then told me he checked my connection and all was in order and I should be at 20mb d/l and 5mb u/l tjhe previous sites said I was at about 5mb d/l and like 4mbu/l.
Low and behold, speedtest,net said I was blazing along at 21.82kbps d/l and 3962kbps u/l.
I fimnd this EXTREMELY SUSPECT.
So, beware would be my suggestion.
tomc107
February 13th, 2016
I use several of these Intertnet speed sites and they always always agree including this one.
ah425
March 25th, 2013
Whenever my internet speed is slow, this is where I go to figure out if it's a local or regional problem.
brians93
March 3rd, 2014
the #1 place to check on your internet speed and quality. this site accurately tells you what speeds your actual getting compared to what you are paying for. simple interface and gets the job done. great mobile app too.
dianek17
April 1st, 2014
Have to use speedtest.net at least once a week and send results in to main office...Love this site..easy to navigate and always and accurate result!!
jesseg
February 22nd, 2010
I do a good amount of online gaming and have friends ask me how they can tell if their internet service is good enough for online gaming.

This website allows you to see valuable information like download speed, upload speed and ping. This information will help give you an idea about just what you can expect your internet to do. Or if you just would like to know how good your internet is, run there very easy to use website.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Speedtest staff and other customers.

Test your Internet connection bandwidth to locations around the world with this interactive broadband speed test from Ookla

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speedtest?

Have a question about Speedtest?