Review of Speechpad

Tel: 866.606.1174
support@speechpad.com

salishar
11/23/17

I am new to transcription, and have tried various sites, but Speechpad is my favorite. I recently got rush job, and soon will be trying for web video captioning. This site has truly been great. Would recommend to anyone and everyone, that's thinking about doing transcription.

ericr117
11/9/17

SPEECHPAD is basically a scam.So I was on their site yesterday and successfully registered as a transcriber. I went ahead and clicked on the qualifications to caption a conversation between the Facebook founder Mark and an unidentified person.The audio was four and a half minutes long but the two were talking over 300 words a minute which basically means that you should be ready to fill a ton of pages on your computer writing . Unfortunately, I fell for it and ended up spending three and a half hours typing and editing a four minute audio!!! because they talked so fast. I finally submitted and got a reply saying I missed the 92 qualifying score by 7 points and so I had to retake it (NO WHERE ON THE SITE MENTIONS THIS) and if it does it's somewhere you can't easily find. To retake it means an extra 3 and half minutes of a different conversation of the same people! I fell for it again and ended up spending four hours on this just to end up getting the same response that I missed it by 7 points!!! How the hell is that possible considering I even used different editing apps !! This time round I got an email saying I could retake the test in another 90 days (basically telling you to go f@*k yourself). I wasted 8 hours yesterday while someone else got paid for my work. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND SPEECHPAD TO ANYONE!!

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, Eric. I see that you've already contacted one of our support staffs. Our audios are actually better than our general workflow. Should you pass, you will encounter more challenging files which, by the way, is out of our control since these are coming from our customers. Unfortunately, there were still numerous errors in your transcript. As we've mentioned, there is a waiting period because the experience needed to transcribe for us cannot be learned overnight. We anticipate workers who don't pass the test to have a hard time with our workflow, and so we suggest you get the experience/practice first. If you need any more clarification, email us at worker@speechpad.com.
brianj110
8/24/17

Working at Speechpad has been a blessing. The audio files are very good quality. Low-quality audio files take longer to complete and are all worth the time as they are all compensated well. Back Office Support is always on standby to assist me whenever I need. If you ever feel like getting telecommuting gig, come to Speechpad first. Your skills could earn you some serious money.

Tip for consumers: If you got what it takes or feel like you need an environment where you can be nurtured to grow, apply today!

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Wow, what a great review, Brian! Thank you for being a part of our team! Never hesitate to email us at worker@speechpad.com if you have questions about your ratings or need extra time for a job.
isabellabiskeyc
8/23/17

I sooo love this company.

Why?
1. Pay -- regular, consistent, on-time, and the rate is higher than the other companies I've tried working with.

2. Great Worker Support Staff -- the managers are so approachable, understanding, and truly, truly, truly supportive.

3. Lots of jobs -- I can work when I want, however much I want.

4. Opportunities for self-improvement -- since there are different clients and different styles, also with the rating scheme, you would do nothing but better yourself to stay with the team.

5. Great learning -- with the different clients [who have different topics and materials], one will, of course, learn a lot, not just by listening but also by researching the things being discussed.

6. It's just so cool to be here.

I've tried other transcription companies that seemed promising, but Speechpad is still the best for me.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback, Issa!
earnestm24
8/9/17

Their staff are so responsive and kind. When I have a problem, I know I can trust them to give me a solution.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
And we hope that we are always kind, Earnest! Don't forget to email us if you ever have questions!
briank123
8/6/17

The pay is consistent. The jobs are in plenty. The staff were kind enough to grant me access to rush jobs. It's the best transcription site I've worked for.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Thank you for the shining review, Brian!
tonyo34
8/6/17

Amazing growth opportunities, good rates, easy to navigate platform, easy to understand guidelines, plenty of work, on-time payments and helpful staff team 24/7. I can't think of a better transcription company to work for than Speechpad. Long live!

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Thank you so much, Tony! We appreciate you as well!
amyb196
8/5/17

The staff bends over backwards to help you any way they can. Especially when I first started out, I was emailing every day with questions, either about specific jobs or just general questions about things I didn't understand about the guidelines. No matter how many questions I had, they were incredibly patient to help me any way they could. Any issue I've ever had with a particular job, whether I needed a little extra time or had questions, etc, they've bent over backwards to work with me any way they can.

I've tried almost every other transcription company out there, at least all the other ones I know of. I've always come back to Speechpad because the people there make all the difference.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
And we're so happy to have you, Amy!
sirjoicea
8/5/17

I like how you get do a whole file by yourself. Not like other companies that cut the files into smaller bits. This is encouraging, because you can set targets for yourself, and grow financially. By cutting files, you rush to finish, then try to pick another one, which means low quality work, then sometimes you find no more jobs on the portal. Speechpad is awesome. When you get a quality audio that's 1 hour and above consistently, there is so much growth on your part. I give you 5 stars on not cutting files.

carrieg32
8/5/17

When I first began transcribing, I worked for three companies. When I had a question, it sometimes took two or three business days to hear back. I hear back from the Speechpad staff within minutes! They are always kind and helpful.

stacim8
8/5/17

I looked for years for a good way to make money online from home and this is the best. If you're intuitive and self starting you can go far at SpeechPad.

lukes59
6/17/17

When I first heard of this, I thought it was a good opportunity to make a little extra income while also gaining what could be some valuable experience for future job opportunities. I still hold to that opinion, but I also see potential for improvement that could make it possible for more people to be involved.
I started this with no prior experience in transcribing videos but with confidence that I could catch on soon enough once I became familiar with the guidelines. I passed the first few qualification tests (basic, confidentiality, and grammar) and was surprised to find out that I was then already qualified to start working on some of the easier jobs. After my first one, it took several days before I received my rating and corrections, so I tried a much shorter one while waiting. When I did receive my scores on both of them, I found that I certainly had room for improvement. I looked through the corrections to see what types of mistakes I had made, which mistakes were most common, which parts of the style guide I should look through more carefully to get a better understanding, and how I could improve quickly. However, the scores of my first two jobs had lowered my overall rating to an 89, and I have not since been able to find any job offers or qualification tests to give me an opportunity to improve. Every job I've checked has required a rating of 92 or higher.
Essentially, it's difficult to get started if you can't score high enough on your first few transcriptions. I think it would be a good idea to give more practice tests both to help someone become familiar with the style guides and such BEFORE allowing them to start taking jobs and to give them an opportunity to improve their rating if they don't do well enough on their initial job attempts.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
If you would email worker@speechpad.com, then we can pull up your profile to give you more details on the corrections made and see what we can do about your rating. Unfortunately, we do not have practice files. We usually only hire experienced workers, but if an inexperienced worker passes the tests, then we are always willing to work with them potentially being great transcribers.
angelaw126
6/1/17

I was churning through work this morning on M-Turk, when a link popped up in a HIT for Speechpad. (It's basically to recruit people off of Amazon.)
Since I'm such a skeptic in general, I promptly googled reviews for Speechpad and was impressed with what I read. I signed right up, did some tests, then eagerly began my first actual job. The sound quality of the audio clip was complete and utter crap. The speaker stammered, stuttered and repeated himself through the entire 4 minute clip. Half of the sentences did not make sense. I was dumbfounded, but painstakingly finished the transcription within the time frame required. It was immediately rejected upon submission. My username was promptly blocked by Soeechpad. I seriously wonder how many people they swipe work from, just to kick them off. It's a scam. If you want honest reviews of Speechpad, look on Reddit. I wish I'd done that beforehand! I never would have bothered.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Hi Angela, We do not reject jobs without first giving you a rework to correct your mistakes. Did you try to email us at worker@speechpad.com to try to resolve the issue?
danielar16
4/11/17

I've stayed home to raise my children since my oldest was born nearly 9 years ago and desperately searched for quality work from home opportunities. Everything seemed like a scam, or money up front, etc. I was SO lucky to find Speechpad!! I can work at home whenever I want...pick up extra files during nap time, etc.

The key is to start slowly and build your way up. DON'T take on a long file on your first try just because the $$ is attractive. Familiarize yourself with the guidelines and take your time with small files and so on...before you know it, you'll be comfortable with the longer files. This has been a life saver and has allowed me to continue to stay home and earn money when I thought I would surely have to go back to work in an office. The support staff does recognize transcribers that submit quality work and they are always happy to work with you if you have questions. TRY SPEECHPAD NOW!!

shanem63
1/8/17

This company is really great if you want the job done fast and shiny. Kudos. I've tried this for my interviews, projects, and even some contraption experiment with kids. They got the difficult parts even when kids are playing the Rube Goldberg machines and while eating too. I believe this company just lacks referrals to clients, but still, the best out there. Thanks a lot! Love your work.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Thank you so much, Shane! We are pleased to know that you are happy with our quality and timeliness. The Speechpad team would love to post your feedback on our site as shown in our real customers section https://www.speechpad.com/ We really wouldn't mind you recommending us to your friends and colleagues, but we certainly hope to see you again soon!
anelal
11/30/16

This is going to be a long review, but read through the whole thing. It's worth your time if you're thinking about working for Speechpad.

I've worked for Speechpad for 2 1/2 years now. I love my "job" and wouldn't go to another company for anything. When I started, the qualification test was a VERBATIM insurance file, which is probably the hardest type of file there is IMO. I failed it the first time. I studied what my mistakes were and when I was sure I understood them, I took it again. I passed the second time - just barely. The new qual tests aren't anywhere near as hard as the test I took.

I see bad reviews that are, honestly, quite ludicrous.

When I started, the only jobs I qualified for were for .25 or .35 per audio minute. That isn't much, BUT you work your way up to better paying jobs. Consider the lower paying jobs when you start as paying your dues or the probationary period when you start a new job. Most companies won't even consider you for a raise until 90 days after you start. You have to prove yourself. Same thing with Speechpad. If you do a good job on the lower paying jobs and maintain a high quality rating, you start to become qualified for the better paying jobs. It can happen a lot faster than 90 days, too.

Becoming qualified for better paying jobs is partly dependent on how many total minutes you've typed AND your rating. You have to keep your rating up by consistently turning in quality work. We've all had instances where we got a low rating. Sometimes it's you, but sometimes it's not. If you disagree with it, contact them. If you're not sure of something in the guideline or how to type something in the transcription that you can't find in the guideline, contact them right away. Don't wait until after you've submitted the file. If you can't finish in the allotted time, contact them.

If you really did just do a bad job - consider it a lesson and make sure you do better next time. If you consistently turn in bad work, don't expect to continue to be able to work. Whether you're picking up jobs on the Speechpad job board or MTurk, this is still a "job" and there are expectations that you have to meet in order to continue working. A job done isn't the same thing as a job well done. This isn't a survey on MTurk where your answers don't really matter. These are real customers wanting a quality transcription returned to them. Remember that.

The most important thing is to always communicate. You can't solve something if no one except YOU knows there's a problem or a perceived problem. Everyone at Speechpad is open to communication and are extremely friendly, helpful, conscientious, and receptive.

Speechpad is the BEST transcription company out there for a number of reasons.

- First and foremost, you get to choose which jobs you take. You have complete control over how much you make and how hard or how easy it is to make. That is absolutely priceless.

- Once you get past the "probationary period" you have unlimited earning potential. Consistently turn in quality work and you can make .60 and up per audio minute. There are, as I type this, jobs up for $1.60 an audio minute. Does everyone have access to these jobs? No. I've EARNED the qualification that gives me access to those.

- Your earning potential is limited only by YOU. That gives you a freedom that clock punchers don't have.

There are other transcription companies out there, but they don't give you the freedom of choice, unlimited earning potential, or the flexibility in your schedule that Speechpad does.

Do a GOOD job and you won't have any reason to complain.

rachaelp10
5/14/16

Finding Speechpad has given me a chance to work from home at my own pace, on my own schedule. Day or night, long or short, transcription or review, I choose what I want to work on when and for how long. I have serious health issues that prevent me from working. With Speechpad I can work when I am able with no recriminations if I have to take a few days off or if I have to ask for a time extension because I have to go a little slower.

Of course you have jobs that are rejected, it goes with the territory. No one is perfect no matter how long they've been transcribing. But I always get a chance to rework a job, usually it's something simple. If the problem is something the reviewer can pick up, I lose a few points for that job, but I've never found the corrections to be unnecessary. Usually it's because I wasn't paying attention to speaker tokens or guideline rules (particularly the "clean verbatim"). My bad!

One last observation: you are not going to make the same amount of money you would if you had an hourly job. This type of work is based on quality and quantity. You have a certain amount of time to complete a job and a posted amount paid on approval. This is the sacrifice we make working at home. I have awesome skills (I've been work for 38 years so I've earned bragging rights!) -- but they are worth NOTHING if I can't work. Speechpad has give me that work and a chance for income where I had none.

The staff are awesome. I usually have an answer within 45 to 60 minutes. They are helpful, professional, and always friendly and there to offer help. No matter if my question is important or if I just want to whine about a particularly difficult job (admit it, we all whine occasionally!), they always answer and treat me with respect. I've worked several online transcription opportunities. Speechpad has proven to be the most professional by far.

greggg10
5/13/16

I have been working with Speechpad for a few years now and my experience with them has been entirely positive. Any issues I've ever encountered with deadlines/time limits, the rare system glitch here or there, or difficulty with files (either being more intensive than anticipated, missing portions of transcription, or format questions) have been addressed fairly and efficiently.

I've never had any problems with receiving payment. On one isolated occasion, a file I submitted somehow was also submitted by someone else...don't ask me how. I was accorded the benefit of the doubt and paid nonetheless. Similarly, on the rare jobs when my own computer problems or other personal issues have necessitated a longer-than-usual period of time in which to complete a file, I'm pleased to say the staff at Speechpad have always worked with me to enable completion of the file.

Many of these critical reviews seem like sour grapes to me. Speechpad requires accuracy and consistency. From what I have seen from a handful of the files I've reviewed, those requirements are often ignored (along with obvious instructions in the Style Guide). If the work's not up to par, obviously that's going to be reflected in a less than pleasant experience. Doing solid work, on the other hand, should result in a strong relationship with Speechpad.

My main advice: communicate. If there is an issue, email the staff at Speechpad. Jill, Krystal, and everyone else I've dealt with have always addressed my issues/problems/concerns/questions honestly and without delay. It's hard for me to believe that many of the situations described here couldn't have been resolved -- or at least improved -- by contacting the company for help and guidance.

matthewm114
5/13/16

I should start by mentioning that I had done a lot of research into the notion of working from home before finally finding Speechpad (well, before my fiance found it for me, that is - credit where credit is due, right?) I couldn't even get past the test file at Rev. Mind you, transcription is nothing new. I've been transcribing for many years and have had clients varying from doctors and lawyers right down to college professors wanting their lectures typed out. I've worked in-house, from home, as employee, as contractor, and as freelancer. Most every other site I've been to for transcription has been, at best, a poor choice to fall back on. Most either maintain an impossible expectation of an adherence to their standards (which can often be contradictive of themselves,) or simply don't pay well enough to fathom undertaking such jobs - like 7 cents an audio hour unless your grade scores at or above a level 7 on their scale, then it's 12 cents an audio hour and you get a 3% bonus if it's done in x amount of time and... wait, what? No. Speechpad is simple and straight forward - You know what the job pays and how long the audio is. And if you click on the sample audio icon, you even get a feel for what that job is going to sound like. If it ends up being too much, you return it with no penalty (other than not being able to work on it again, but someone's going to grab it before you would have been back to it anyway.)
Payment is via PayPal and is always on time (sometimes even early.) It's fair compensation for the jobs provided and often even better than fair (have seen and worked jobs at $0.60 per audio minute and $0.75 per audio minute.) Just this last weekend I pulled a job that was one hour twenty-one minutes long and paid $49.03. The audio was clean, the review was fair (below the threshold even, but I was expecting that as I was seeing double near the end - I accepted it at midnight, worked it through 5AM, requested the extension I knew I'd need, took a nap, woke up, woke up, and polished it off with time to spare.)
Regarding the complaints about reviewers I keep seeing on these review sites - Let me put it in perspective for you: They are users just like you. They strived and toiled to get and keep their rating up, worked on and with the stie for a good time, had all the same hiccups each of us have at one point or another, and then refined their skills to a point that the Speechpad team felt they were qualified. They're still human. This is still spoken word being recorded as written word. This still leaves much to interpretation. Regardless, the staff has always taken the time to address any issues I just couldn't let slide and either explained where I went wrong or explained where a reviewer might have gone wrong and then adjusted the score accordingly.
There's a "Send Feedback" button at the top of the site - use it, it is your friend.
Now, mind you, if you turn in subpar work, don't expect employment and payment on par. But this is no different than with any other employer or freelance type project out there.

helena133
5/12/16

I have found online transcribing with Speechpad to be a great way to make some extra money. The staff are friendly, helpful and extremely prompt in responding to queries or bona fide requests for support. They appreciate efforts to deliver high quality work and will give more time if the request is genuine. It is not easy in the beginning, persistance and humility are useful, as their standard is extremely high. I am happy to have found this online freelance opportunity and am working hard to meet the high expectations, which no doubt make for happy customers on the other end.

sarahc178
5/12/16

I found Speechpad at a time when I was submitting resumes and looking for supplemental work. The first month is difficult because you're basically training and learning their particular style guide. They are always available to help when you're confused. I've always been paid on time for all of my work. I look up terminology that I'm not familiar with and I run spell check when I'm done. I can make over $500 weekly. I was able to do that about three months after I started. You don't have any work requirements and you can work from anywhere.

elainef12
5/12/16

I have never had a problem with getting paid or receiving answers to any questions that I've had. I have worked as an independent transcriber for going on six years now and exclusively work with this company. Most other companies have either paid on a monthly basis or late. There is ample opportunity to work up and really start from the bottom. That takes a bit of work, but you will get feedback and answers to any questions you may have.

colettec4
5/12/16

I joined Speechpad last year while trying to find an income around my busy family's life. With having young children, especially one with special needs, it was a terrific option for me. You simply have to choose a job, when you have time available, and finish it. If you have any problems or questions, you can send an email to the support team and they are fantastic to help. They were very helpful with me in coaching and providing tips when I would reach out to them. I have been telling my other friends and family about this site because I think it's a fantastic option for freelancers.

Tip for consumers: I do advise that if you don't have a fast typing speed to brush up before starting to work, as this can be very helpful in giving you more "bang for your buck" when trying to do your jobs in a timely manner. Also, they have wonderful style guides to access while you're working if you need to refresh your memory on how the job should be done, because different jobs have different requirements sometimes, depending on the client's needs.

micahp6
3/9/16

I've been working for Speechpad for the past few months. First as a transcriber and now more as a reviewer. It is true that you occasionally get a poor quality audio file, and even poorer transcripts, but I haven't had any issues with the way I was treated. If I ever had an issue with something, they were very quick to respond and resolve anything that came up.

It sounds like the majority of people who have bad reviews about Speechpad simply are not patient enough to persevere through the rough patches. It is a little hard starting out, and sometimes the pay isn't as good as you would like, but once you get the hang of it, it's definitely worth it in the long run!

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Thank you so much for the positive review, Micah!
jennifert80
1/17/16

This is not a complaint about Speechpad. This is a complaint about some of the cheating clients that use Speechpad to handle transcriptions for them. So I guess this is going to be the new trend, clients speeding up the audio before handing it over to a transcription company so the client pays less for more words?
I recently did an audio for transcription on Speechpad that was so very obviously sped up to decrease the minutes of audio. The total minutes were compressed into about 30 minutes instead of probably closer to an hour or more that it was originally before being sped up. The guy sounded like a squeak toy. Well, not exactly. But I decreased the speed to about 75%, the voice and pace sounded much more normal. Decreasing the speed was the only way I could catch what this $^@^ was saying. This kind of frustrated me. As a transcriber you get paid per audio minute not by amount of words. Maybe transcription companies should start charging per word instead of per minute. I really hope someone from Speechpad reads this and starts being pro-active about this issue. For transcribers, beware and don't transcribe something that sounds like it has been sped up. This will probably be happening more and more.

Response from Jill F., Speechpad Representative
Did you email us about this file? If not, please do so we can contact the customer.
Thanks!

You must maintain a rating of 92 or higher to access jobs. Please email us at worker@speechpad.com and we'll be happy to look at your profile.

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi Anne! It typically takes 3-4 days for files to be reviewed and sent to the customer, based on their TAT request. It can take up to 7 days, however. If you will email me at worker@speechpad.com, I will be happy to look at your profile and see if you're qualified for the reviewer position and rush job position.Thanks!

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi Steve, it takes about 3-5 days to get a file reviewed and a max of 7 days depending on the urgency of the file. If you'd like us to look further into your files, you can email us at worker@speechpad.com.

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi, Reemah. Thanks for your inquiry. Can you email worker@speechpad.com, please? We need your email address so we can look up your account and your test. Thanks!

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi, Karen. Thanks for your inquiry. Can you email worker@speechpad.com, please? We need your email address so we can look up your account and your test. Thanks!

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

We have a regular flow of jobs coming in through the day, but we have thousands of workers and jobs get taken very quickly. It's greatly competitive with 200-300 new sign-ups per day. You can click on Show Only Jobs I'm Qualified For and check back throughout the day. If you would email us at worker@speechpad.com with the email address you use to log into the site, we should be able to look into your account further. Thanks, Willis!

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi Andrea, Thanks for your inquiry. Can you email worker@speechpad.com, please? We need your email address so we can look up your account and your test. Thanks!

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

Hi, Susan. If you would email us at worker@speechpad.com with the email address associated to your Speechpad account, we should be able to pull up the corrections made to your transcript.

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]

We're happy that you're interested in becoming a transcriber and welcome you to our team. To find out more about becoming a transcriber for us, please click here https://www.speechpad.com/worker. The FAQ, located here https://www.speechpad.com/worker/faq should answer any question you may have but please email us at worker@speechpad.com should you still need help. Please click here https://www.speechpad.com/worker/apply to register. Once you've completed the registration process, click on the Qualifications tab https://www.speechpad.com/worker/qualifications and take the three mandatory qualifications tests (basic, grammar and confidentiality). If your rating is high enough, you can start transcribing right away.

By Jill F. [Speechpad Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the Speechpad staff and other customers.

Speechpad?