Review of RootsMagic

Tel: 1-801-489-3102
sales@rootsmagic.com

sa30402
12/18/18

This is similar to the old LDS PAF program for Windows that I used in the past so the learning curve was easy. I like the 'Rootsweb to GO" feature that let's "bring" your file with you portable devices. I even bought copies of the program for family members without any genealogy software to share "our tree."

kurtb69
9/3/18

This is a good idea letting the elder generation talk to young members of family. It can be very helpful transporting little stories and historical motovation.
How nice would it be to include speach of grands?

ajs40
8/27/18

I use this program often for housing my own family history records and it has always worked beautifully

gusc26
7/5/18

Excellent service nothing was any trouble. Good program and easy to use, recommend it to anyone doing their Family Tree.

selmab3
6/3/18

My favorite feature, beside the ease of use, is the "Tree Share." This feature gives me the control of what to accept and not accept for my research. Thank you, Roots Magic!!!

taniat16
1/30/18

I wanted to list all those on my tree who had lived in a particular place and my husband said it would be a nice feature but that it couldn't be done on My Heritage. I quickly called the Helpline, was on hold for no more than 20 secs and then spoke to the charming and helpful Talia who handheld me as she walked me through the minimum of steps to reach my goal. Brilliant solution and even better support from Talia.

graceyd1
8/29/16

I started out with Ancestry, and used them extensively. However my long term experience with Ancestry is not positive. So when Ancestry announced that it would stop supporting FamilyTreeMaker, RootsMagic announced a special deal to allow customers to move to RootsMagic. So I now have all 3: Ancestry Online, FamilyTreeMaker on my PC and RootsMagic on my PC.

In general I like what I see with RootsMagic, but I still consider myself a novice with it.

While its GUI Interface isn't as slick as Ancestry browser based GUI, its functionality as a PC based program far exceeds what I can get our of Ancestry online.

I'm expecting to transition from FamilyTreeMaker to RootsMagic when RootsMagic supports syncing with Ancestry. Yes its coming soon (in fall 2016, I think)

Some details I really like about Roots Magic:
Count trees - Will find "islands" of people in your tree, IE disconnected sections
Problem lists - Allows extensive validation checking, and offers flexibility in what it checks
Colour coding - Like highlighting a hardcopy
Grouping - You can make your own groups of people
Online hints - They support hints from multiple sources

RootsToGo - You can take you database on a USB stick to the Library , FamilyHIstory Centre etc. No extra charge.

Sharing.. You can make a copy of your database to distribute to family members and they can view it on their PC. No extra charge. Called Sharable CD, but I burn mine to a USB stick. I recently burned 6 copies to share with my cousins. So now we can all see the same details.

They also have a Publish to Web option where you can make a website that they host. I haven't fully explored this yet, but it looks very promising.

And a manual that details how to do things. (It does cost $$, but I'd recommend it. Perhaps I'm old school, but having something to read helps you understand what it can do).

Compare trees seems powerful if you have multiple versions of your tree, or are comparing your tree to someone elses.

Importing GED files was easy. No hiccups at all. It can also import many other formats, such as FTM directly.

When you start it up on your PC there is a popup with news items and possible software updates to download.

However, I haven't fully explored their printing yet. I'm still hooked on FamilyTreeMaker's ability to print a large chart as a pdf (eg 10 feet on 36" paper) that I can take to my local print shop.

And I need to explore their ability to build a book based on your family tree. This sounds extremely promising/interesting. They also have companion software intended for that purpose.

So in summary, I'd suggest a vastly polar opposite corporate culture for RootsMagic than for Ancestry. My opinion of Ancestry is that they are driven by corporate greed, while RootsMagic appears to be driven by a true interest in genealogical success.

nancyj20
8/22/16

Have had RootsMagic 7 Mac for about 6 weeks. Just when I think I've resolved one issue... another comes along. I've spent hours just having to figure out why it's not doing this, or not doing that. Called their customer service and was told "oh, it's a Mac issue... don't know much about that, the person who usually takes care of Macs is gone. You might trying calling when it's not 5 minutes before we leave for the day". Other customer service calls were equally frustrating, so most times I'm left to my own devices. Big disappointment.

Questions? Get answers from the RootsMagic staff and other customers.

RootsMagic?