Review of RockAuto

service@rockauto.com

119 reviews with 1 star

vickiv31
3/22/19

I ordered a mass air flow sensor online for my BMW, the part matched the description perfectly, but when receiving it didn't match original one, the box it came in said made in Germany, but on the part itself it said made in China. I took my car into shop and mechanic said it wouldn't work with my computer. They had to order part from dealer and it did work. I tried to do the return slip but when asked if it was installed in car I hit yes on accident, so then I tried to go back to redo it and it wouldn't let me. They don't have a phone number to contact them directly and have it to where you have to communicate through email only, sent email and never got a response. I contacted my bank and will be disputing the charge. Terrible service and false advertisement.

samg186
3/19/19

Terrible experience!
I will never use rockauto again!
I am also making it a point to tell everyone I know to stay away!
No customer service sucks!

chrisc895
3/10/19

purchased power steering hose for a tracker received 3 days after promised then when installing the ends were to big to fit cant get refund or the right part . mistake ordering from them.

kylea70
3/5/19

I ordered front end parts for my car . Almost 1000 dollars worth of parts . I had to replace half the parts a month later . Very poor quality parts . My brother ordered a crank kit these dip $#*!s put the wrong main bearings in the kit . Customer service is trash . They want you to foot the bill to return the wrong parts that they sent you . I will never use these jokers again .

kevino131
3/2/19

I will never order through rock auto again. The customer service is Non-existent. A void. not there. **** ****. got me once, never again. blows balls never, ever again. A simple phone call would answer what I may need. The returns process is horrible. cannot think that this would be worth the loss of customers. the frustration is immense. Never again. And, I have cars that will need care forever.

joem619
2/18/19

I purchased a kit containing rotors and pads for the front and rear of the vehicle. There appeared to be a defect in the bonding material that holds the pad to the metal bracket.

Rock auto was contacted and stated the pads werent covered eventhough it was within 90 days. They stated the pads were only covered for defects in workmanship, which this clearly was. Their warranty page also stated the parts werent returnable.

I sourced pads locally to resolve the issue as I didnt have the luxury of time to fight with them. Afterwards I filed a complaint with the wisconsin better business bureau to recoup the additional cost incurred to resolve the issue which got me nowhere.

Rock auto, after being told i had resolved the issue was generous enough to offer me warranty pads. I stated I had already resolved the issue and no longer needed pads and again asked for a partial refund...I'll give you a guess as to how that went. I mean, I am here posting a review, right?

So I now have some new paper weights and, in the hopes of saving someone else this headache am taking the time to advise anyone who sees this to STAY AWAY FROM ROCK AUTO!!

Purchase the parts locally ornamental if you do go online, check that the vendor has a customer service department you can actually call and that they're a reputable company. Rock autos customer care is only accessible via email which is beyond a joke.

coryl35
2/11/19

This is a joke of a company. Their communication is ridiculous. They do not care about you or your order, only when they have their money. Spent over $1k, over $600 of that stuff was damaged in shipping. I never took possession of any of it, yet they will not refund my money. They tell you to inspect everything before signing, as you should, but when you do and refuse due to damage your funds are tied up for weeks for something you had no part in. Their service is the most ignorant ive ever dealt with, and just keep repeating the same stuff over and over regardless of the questions you ask. I accepted a box full of stuff that had a plastic grill in it. When I opened the grill ($30) it was broken. They tell me now I have to go to a body shop to get an estimate before they will do anything, or just tuff luck. Stay away from Rock Auto. They say no customer service to keep rates low... that's BS. They don't have customer service because they don't want to hear all of the complaints. If they would practice better shipping procedures, theyd save a lot more than having someone answer the phones. DO yourself a favor and DO NOT SHOPE WITH ROCK AUTO

robertr784
2/3/19

i smelled a rat when I saw and agreed to a $45.00 shipping on less than one pound of heater hose. Boy did they load the wrong items on and with different numbers and makes with warehouse from all over the country. Your return does not go back to the same warehouse. This "little fact was unknown at the time" Needless to say, the cost of return and time was not justified. .What a racket.

normanb82
1/31/19

If your looking for customer service at all do not purchase anything from RockAuto.com. I purchased a steering gearbox for my 2001 Excursion, installed it and the steering got worse. Believing that this brand new gear box was manufactured properly by BBB / VISION, I proceeded with the changing of the rest of the steering linkage (tie rod ends inner then outer, then track bar, stabilizer and finally ball joints, all were slightly worn but not loose. Finally took into two separate shops who both diagnosed it as the gear box, the one shop tried to adjust the gearbox but it was not assembled properly. I needed a safe vehicle for work and did not have time to remove the gear box send it back and wait for a new one, so I purchased a remanufactured one locally, the vehicle steers great.

All I wanted to do was return the gearbox for a refund I understand that I might have to eat some shipping costs and was ok with that. Rock Auto would only provide a replacement gearbox, which I find unacceptable. Considering all my local suppliers will take a product under warranty and give a full refund.

This was my first and last purchase with Rock Auto

joea274
1/24/19

Their prices are cheap but one reason is that they don't give any technical support. First of all, there's no provision on their website for even asking a question and if you do figure out how to get in touch with them they know so little about what their selling that they can't tell you what color their black distributor caps are.

Another time they shipped me the wrong part in the right box. Their initial response was that return shipping was my responsibility because they didn't make a mistake. It was like pulling teeth to get them to agree that I didn't make a mistake either and their issue should be with their supplier.

I'm done with them.

tomf328
1/5/19

Rockauto sent me a part that did not fit my car, despite their description that it did. I contacted them via Paypal (I could not find contact info on their site). After three unanswered messages, Paypal refunded my payment. Them they sent me an email calling me a thief.

Tip for consumers: They do OK until you neeed their non-existant customer service.

pauls1058
1/1/19

DO NOT BUY FROM ROCK AUTO...unless you want total disappointment and frustration.
When there is an issue with a part they wash their hands to the problem and won't refund your money and expect you to pay return shipping on defective parts.
I have purchased thousand of $$$$ of parts and they stick their nose up in the air like I don't exist.
Recently I have had a few situations where I received defective parts and they won't make good on those parts.
ROCK AUTO HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE ONLY EMAIL RESPONSE AND THEIR ATTITUDE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH ORDER IS YOUR PROBLEM NOT THEIRS.

And now they charge tax and shipping your better off going to your local auto parts stores where they stand behind what they sell.
Do your self a favor and buy local you will save time and aggravation and money.

keithm262
12/29/18

Per title. The number they provide takes you to corporate headquarters that does not deal with customer service. Press 3 for other. Phone hangs up.

I was going to return the part to at least get some of my money back. Having read through these reviews I wonder whether I should bother as it does not sound like that is a guarantee and I will just be out more money...

BTW, part of their message is something about how they don't do customer service to keep their rock bottom prices. Seems to me its more like we keep our prices low to entice people in and then send them garbage and keep the money. What a joke.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

bobr248
12/13/18

Bought KYB shocks and they were defective. Returned them and were replaced but new ones also defective. Now can't find how to return to RockAuto for warranty replacement. No way to contact by phone or email. Horrible service. Will never use them again regardless of the price difference.

lisaj306
11/16/18

"BEWARE! This will be our first and last time ordering. Good-luck finding a way to contact customer service and only online. We ordered brake drums and rotors for a Toyota Tundra, they came to us defective. We had them installed and then went to get our brake's bled and they said our rotors/drums were warped. Well, it's now our problem and not covered under warranty. We were told by the brake shop that they were defective." Never Again!!!!!Never Again!!!!!Never Again!!!!! Never Again!!!!! Never Again!!!!!

andrej18
11/5/18

Problems with shipping never got my part or a return since they didn't get my part back. No customer service number to call, the online report a problem is just an automated service that can't help you with anything. I got auto reply then the case was closed and my emails just auto-replied with case expired, case closed

richardm753
10/4/18

I ordered brakes rotors and spark plugs. Turns out each part was shipped from a different location and through a different carrier. The rotors showed up, the plugs showed up and my brakes are in Pittsburgh.
Too bad I live in New Jersey. To do the work ,I have to buy brakes somewhere else, so I' m just returning the order. I was promised a delivery date and they weren't even close. There are no humans to help ,so if your order is messed up, you're SOL. I'm pretty sure they don't give a damn about their customers.

miked534
9/25/18

Do not buy from ROCK AUTO PARTS dot CON. They suck you in with low prices and when you checkout the shipping charges are sky high. Now you have to either leave the site after wasting all of your time looking for the parts or pay for the ridiculous shipping prices!
It gets WORST
After putting in my vehicle information, a bunch of parts are shown that will fit my vehicle. NOPE !!! after they arrived only some fit. I even asked for their customer service people to double check my order to avoid problems. Thier lazy ass answer, if the part shows up in the part list it will fit. NO IT DID NOT FIT.
Now I want to return the parts that don't fit and ROCKAUTOPARTS dot CON says "Sure just pay the ridiculous shipping prices again."
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!
I will go to my local auto parts place and get the parts there, never had a problem with bringing back parts that were wrong.

gregm329
9/18/18

For anything other than something that requires a core they may be alright - but forget about something that has a core involved. They drop shipped my item from the remanufacturer- the remanufacturer included a return shipping label for the core - I used the label to return the item - then I found out RockAuto needed me to return somewhere else to get my core credit. Total BS. Emails went unanswered.

js467
9/14/18

Ordered brakes for my Honda from RockAuto. They sent me the WRONG PARTS. I entered in my exact make and model, their computer system apparently made an error or whomever packs the boxes made an error... idk which, but the point is, I received wrong parts for my vehicle. I had to take my car to get repaired because I need it, obviously... so that was a much larger expense than necessary due to the negligence of RockAuto. I emailed and let them know about the issue. They said they'd "make an exception" and do a partial refund. I said ok great. (I put on the front brakes, those were correct. They sent me wrong rear brakes, so those parts went back). So I pay $20 to ship them back! For which they did not reimburse me. And all they issued me is a $50 STORE CREDIT. This was not what they told me at first. They told me I'd get a refund. This was not a refund. I do not want store credit. I will never order from RockAuto because not only did they screw me over, they cost me a lot of extra money due to THEIR MISTAKE and then lied to me and treated me poorly. Everyone makes mistakes. Humans are prone to error. But they had a chance to make it right and chose not to. There is no manager to talk to. There is zero customer service. These people are crooks. I'm now out a few hundred bucks- plus the $20 in shipping, plus the $50+ they're holding hostage with their "store credit". Why would I ever risk ordering from here again? Why would I ever want a store credit here?? Do not waste your savings account or risk your safety ordering from this place. It says right on their website, no refund unless it's our mistake. ITS YOUR MISTAKE!!! I've had this car for 15 years, pretty sure I know what parts it takes and didn't order wrong ones. I want my money back.

tobyt17
9/2/18

I was promised a $100 gift card for buying 4 struts from rockauto.com, but its just a scam. I sent in everything they asked for and about 2 months later I get an email saying my rebate was rejected because of some items that were supposedly missing, but it was untrue. I called and they were closed but the answering service assured me they would have someone call me back. I also emailed explaining that everything they asked for was included. I never got a reply to my email and no one ever called me back. Finally I was able to get through to them by phone during regular business hours. The person I spoke to asked for my rebate id number which I gave him and told him that I was told the rebates was rejected. He placed me on hold for a minute or two. When he came back to the phone he said everything has been taken care of and that I was approved. Thats pretty fishy, I bet they reject 100% of all rebates initially. Now he proceeds to tell me that it will take 2 more months to process and I should get my rebate card in the. What the heck? It does not take 2 months to send out a rebate card. So I wait another two months and then check the status of the rebate online and guess what, it says rejected again. This is a total scam. Do not trust anything you hear from Rock Auto about a rebate, you will NEVER get your rebate.

stephaniek154
8/27/18

Parts came damaged and they charge for return shipping even if it's their fault, parts were damaged due to poor packaging. & then they tried saying it was our fault because we sent the item back in the same packing it came in, so they were not going to issue a refund and we had to dispute it threw our bank to get a refund. All these people do it scam. They are cheap and either sell broken parts as new or they are out to cut costs on packaging etc to make the most money possible. There is no customer care number by the way and nothing can be accomplished with online support unless your agreeing to return part for $35 shipping label they provide. Buyer beware.

danm402
8/27/18

Ordered a water pump which was shown in the picture as coming with an OEM style composite gasket. What I received with the pump was a cheap flat gasket which would probably leak. Their "customer service" basically told me that it says somewhere on their website in tiny print that the pictures are not necessarily what you will receive. Wow, how helpful and useful that is. I said okay, just throw a $5 gasket in with my next big order, since I've spent thousands there over the past years. Nope, can't do that. Oh well, I guess that was my last order. For the sake of saving $5 they just lost thousands of $$ in future orders. Way to go. Oh, and when they don't want to hear from you any more they just close the service ticket and your emails are bounced back.
(In the photo the original gasket is on the right.)

tomb571
8/25/18

Part was the wrong one. just try to talk to anyone at rock auto. Just get out your jupping shoes, because your jumping through hoops to get a refund. Now I know how they sell the parts so cheap. They send you the wrong part, You will have to return it . GOOD LUCK!

glendad16
8/17/18

No customer service, won't process refunds once they receive an item back. Run as fast as you can from this place

Whare is my package. An $85 inside door panal. Part # 4029357733 .ca ordered 12/22/16 rock auto had no problem taking my money but apparently don't know how to make a shipment. Pissed

By Shawn c.

Questions? Get answers from the RockAuto staff and other customers.

4 Photos for RockAuto